Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.
3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into pint glass

Appearance- Light copper, White head with good retention, clear

Aroma- Sweet malt, honey, citrus hops, grassy, herbal notes as well, some of the oak mixing in, slight vanilla

Flavor- Sweetness up front, but bitterness quickly follows keeping it balanced, very grassy, herbal, slight piney hops. Slight oak and vanilla, its there but not very strong which is a good thing. Honey, sweet malts, very drinkable.

Mouthfeel- Medium, medium light carbonation

Overall- I like the fact that its not a typical citrus, pine bomb. Don't get me wrong I love those but this plays into the grassy(in a good way) and herbal components of an IPA while keeping a good bitterness and throwing in a touch of oak with honey sweet malts. I'm use to oak aged IPAs being imperial so a regular strength one was interesting. If you want an IPA but want to change things up a bit try this.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

A- Liquid gold. 2 finger head. Very nice layers on the lacing.

S- Nice. Bits of wood, vanilla, grapefruit, and citrus. Not bad at all. Different.

T- Again, nice and smooth. Vanilla and grapefuit. Oak and citrus. Nice balance of hops through out. Not too hoppy though. Kinda mild. I like.

M- Creamy and smooth. So smooth. Clean and wet finish. Wow. Little carbonation. This is excellent.

O- I want more. Great stuff. Another great beer by Two Brothers.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark copper, shinny penny color. Very slight haze to clarity. Thick white ring around edge of glass. Bright, very orange peel citrus aroma. Pick up some of the oak sweetness, but not a ton, quite pleasant aroma. Bright sweetness in beginning. Big orange peel finish, especially on swallow. Pick up some oak in addition to the hops on the dryness in the finish. Aftertaste has a flavor like that of grape skin. Pick up a medium malt character and some subtle metallicness on the back of the tongue. With warmth, honey flavor comes out in full force in the middle to end. Light, somewhat crisp. Not as near as much oak as I was expecting, would like to have has at least a touch more. Sweetness and dryness are pretty well balanced.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a clear orange copper, minimal lacing.

Smells of biscuit malt and hops. Very understated, not in your face.

First taste is bready. Hops on the back end. Very well balanced. Relatively thin mouthfeel, with more malts then hops. Not your typical American IPA.

Very drinkable for 6.9% Tastes more of an amber ale with hops than an IPA. A solid brew, but not my fav from Two Bros.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

pours an unfiltered golden yellow.very little head that dissipates.

smell is very piny hops. very fresh.

taste has the piny hops of the smell carry through with a good level of bitterness.

mouth is very light and refreshing.

very good ipa but not quite equal to their seasonal ipa heavy handed. it is nice that two brothers has a year round ipa.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a 16oz stemless snifter. 70 IBUs; best by date 5/13/2011.

Pours a light orange/golden honey color with a single finger head (not poured vigorously). The all white cap dissipates rather quick and leaves a foamy ring of creamy bubbles.

The nose is hop forward with subtle wood notes from the French oak. The wood melds into the caramel and pale malts which form a dark sweet toffee aroma battling the piney hops.

Starts with a carbonated tingle and bitter hops up front. There is a nice juicy burst at the center of the hop profile which is mellowed out by the oak backdrop. Very nice ending and not too sticky considering how concentrated the flavor is. The brew is strangely reminiscent of a pale wheat ale; I find it refreshing and fulfilling.

The mouth is rough up front, but smooths out quickly. I think the high amount of carbonation works well for this beer. I will definitely get this one again.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Another Great Two Bros. product, wish I had More access to this one!
Looked beautifully mucky golden,decent hesd with lots of lacing!
Smell was somewhat weak but with everything there just low key,mostly sweet malt,faint hops!
Wonderfully complex and balanced, you taste the hops now subdued by the malts slight oak/vanilla undertow with a touch of smokiness(i think?)
Mouthfeel is total joy, lots of stuff going on all good!
drink is very nice,complex but not mind boggling like stated earlier wish I could get this more often,VERY SOLID breath of fresh air!

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle into a 3 Floyd's pint glass

A: Golden orange with a small white head and nice lacing on top.

S: Very floral with nice lemon and citrus notes.

T: Sweet IPA with hints of Orange, grapefruit and lemon. Also a little woody from being aged in the Oak.

M: Medium bodied. Very refreshing overall

O: A nice oaked aged IPA. A pretty decent value as well at $9 a sixer. Would seek this out again.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Poured into my stemmed tulip. Heres We Goes!

Appearance- Hazy golden yellow with two fingers of foamy white head that hangs around for a bit and then falls into a bubbly ring. Spotty lacing.

Smell- Bright citrusy hops and some faint wood tones. A slight biscuit malt and alcohol note.

Taste- A big bold juicy citrus hop whack at first. Then it goes to a sweet malt middle with a oaky smooth mellow finish. There are some slight honey notes and some sweet vanilla from the oak. Maybe a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Very ample carbonation with a medium body. Oily texture with a nice clean smooth dry finish. Somewhat sticky.

Drinkability- Dangerous! This is one of those beers that you don't want your glass to empty. A six pack doesn't last too long around here. I have one more in the fridge and 3 in my brew closet for next week. One of the more complex IPAs that I have drank that don't fit into the Imperial Double IPA category. This beer is a rock solid example of the American IPA category. Overall this is in my favorite IPA category. The french oak adds a smoothness that makes this beer go down way to easily.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a coppery color with minimal head. Not much aroma at all in the nose, more of a regular PA than IPA aroma.

Taste is about the same as it smells. Definitely not enough hop flavor or aroma, but the bitterness is there. Very underwhelming. Again, its charateristics are much more like a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Beer feels a little watery with not enough body or malt backbone. Just doesn't stand up to other IPAs in my opinion, considering the price point it is at. Another mediocre beer from Two Brothers.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am yet to be able to get behind the Two Brothers beers. I am always intrigued by their brewing creativity and appreciate the new take on the old styles of brewing. The bottle states "why did we continue to resist an IPA?" It was a valiant effort, but didn't completely blow me away.

A - Here we go this looks good. Nice amber color with a decent amount of had

S - Smells good some orange and maybe pineapple scent. The smell is pleasing.

T - This is where I can't get behind it. It seems to be dull. I haven't had any beers brewed in French Fourdes. This didn't give off a distinct flavor though.

M - A little dry stickiness to the finish.

D - This has all the potential until the taste. I'm glad I tried it and will continue to be lured in by The Brothers. I'm ready for the WOW. Not just the oh that was interesting.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Drink by date of 2/25/12.

Appearance: Clear golden/orange color with a good amount of carbonation. Nice white head with good retention.

Smell: Nice strong smell that is well blended. I get strong citrus and hop tones. Very appealing.

Taste: Great malty sweetness at the beginning. Has strong citrus flavors, similar to the smell. It ends with a hoppy bitterness that is refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Clean crisp feel with a mild carbonation that sits well. There is a slight bitter after taste which is nice.

Overall: Very good beer. I have tried several two brothers beers and they have all been great, this one as well. This was an easy beer to drink and had a nice flavor. I look forward to drinking again.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Visual: Pours 1 finger head into pint glass. Gold with orange hues. Lacing left uniformly on glass.

Aroma: Honey, grass, citrus

Taste: I seem to agree with the taste description on the bottle. Definitely a sweet honey malt backed with a citrus/pine hopping, also complemented with some oaky taste. Very good. Hops are present but not overpowering, the slight hop bite at the end is a pleasant reminder that you are drinking an ipa.

Mouth: Light-medium, beer-like.

Drunkability: Well-balanced ipa that would provide for a nice session beer. Beer dinner.?..Yes please.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

Big shout out to Jim-E who generously offered me a bottle from his private stock!

Long Haul, also from 2 Bros J series, has made a few enjoyable appearances in my cellar but this was a first with Le Resistance. This is a nice looking brew, a finger or two of head, generous lacing, and a pine bouquet. This differs from a traditional IPA in its initial rounder and mellower mouthfeel, yet a definitive IPA finish; it is somewhat lighter than most IPA's on the market but it clearly has more hops than a pale ale.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer is a little light when it comes to aroma. It smells like fruity American hops and maybe a touch of the oak, though that might be a resiny kind of hop aroma.

The toasty oak and citrusy hops blend really well together and there's a nice complex finish with oak, bitterness, and caramel maltiness. The finish is more more intriguing than the initial taste, which is a little thin and could use a bit more body to back up the bitterness.

This beer would be amazing cask-conditioned. Maybe at the Great Taste?

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

This beer is not worthy of a full review but for the sake of others it needs to be said. This is not an IPA, I don't know what else to call it but IPA is not it. The first thing I did was check the "best buy date" and that was not an issue. It tasted that way though, in a word this beer is SKUNKY, sour and damn near un drinkable. I have never been a huge fan of 2B but figured this oaked IPA could be a hit, nope. I don't know what the sourness comes from but it must be the oak.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

This is my first review.

Poured into a nonic pint, this brew is copper colored, clear and has a nice thick head.

The smell doesn't knock me over, it's hoppy sure, but I can't pick out any specific notes...it smells good, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing special.

The taste is better than the smell, it's smooth and rich and well balanced. I get a little bit of the woodiness from the oak barrels, but not much, which is a little disappointing. Not a massive hop bomb by any means, but bitter. There's a lingering aftertaste that I don't find unpleasant.

It's a smooth drinker. You can taste the alcohol, but it's not overwhelming (especially for 6.9%) and I like the level of carbonation.

This isn't my favorite IPA, but there's something interesting about it that I'm not yet well-versed enough in beer to describe. Keep an eye out for it, it's worth a try!

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%

Recievd this as an extra in a recent trade. Thanks to my many trading partners.

Poured into my crate and barrell sniffter

A-Haxy light amber color. Small white head with slight lacing

S-wonderful citris smell. Smells like grapefruit. Best part of this beer is the aroma

T-nice flavor in front and midle a little bite of the hops on the back end the taste isnice but a little off balance

M-nice overall but a bit thin

O-very nice IPA would like to have gotten more from the aging in the french oak foundres but I get very little

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Received via trade with jkblodge as an extra. Thanks!

A - Real nice gold and orange hue. Great looking 1" head with lacing.
S - I smell grapefruit and something else pleasant and sweet.
T & M - The oak is barely there, but still really nice. Great tasting IPA and lighter on the booze than most I've had lately.
D - Nice, easy drinking IPA. I wish I could buy this locally.

I look forward to trying more from this brewery. Great job on this IPA!

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%

It has been a long time since I have had Two Brothers, ever since I bought a 12 pack sampler and all of the beers inside were anywhere from sub-par to downright nasty. They do have at least one beer that I like and this sounded intriguing so what the heck lets try it.

A: Plain Jane hazy copper color with a thick head. Despite my best efforts, the head foams up like crazy and overflows a bit. Once it settles down, it is a pretty shade of off white that sticks to the glass.

S: Smell, what smell? This is an IPA? "Best by" date is far in the future so this must be fresh. Some grass, some faint honey and generic malt smell is all I get.

T: I take a sip and realize immediately that I do not like this beer. Not even close to what I would call an IPA. More like a cross between a weak APA and a grassy EPA. The bitterness is there but the pungent hops that I have come to expect from an IPA, just missing. Heck, it says "piney citrus hops" right on the bottle but I can't taste that at all. There is a small sourness to the palette that could be the oak, but I'm not picking up anything else. It has the same yucky aftertaste from a bad batch of homebrew I had once. Overall this does not taste like a beer from a commercial brewery.

M&D: Blah, too watery not enough body. I could drink a few of these before I got sick of the taste, as long as they were cold. I am disappointed that I payed over $10 for the 6 pack and still have 5 left to drink.

In conclusion, once bitten twice shy. Or twice bitten in this case. I will not be buying Two Brothers again.

4.95/5  rDev +29.2%

This is my favorite beer by far, it is a beautiful golden IPA. Its heavy on the hoppy side of the spectrum with a great floral aroma and a crisp finish. A great example of an American style IPA. Highly recommended for all the hop heads out there. Cheers!

1.92/5  rDev -49.9%

The only resistance was trying to get it down.

On draft at the brewpub:

This beer really had no hop aroma or flavor, leaving only the bitterness to qualify it as an IPA. The oak seems to manifest as a sharp, acrid and acidy character in the beer. It was difficult to choke this one down. I really think they should reevaluate this one.Thankfully, the food arrived and made it a little easier to drink. I don't get these guys; Hop Juice is a good IIPA, so they know how to make an IPA. Yet, the rest of there beers that claim to have some serious hop qualities do not (ie bitter end).

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Sampled this with the local distributor..

This beer pours crystal clear into the oversized sample glass. Big white foam sits on top releasing tons of aromatic hop compounds. Big pine with a nice citrus background with a layer of sweet malt and oak underneath.

This beer hits the palate without the force you might expect of something that is at 70 IBU's. It tastes much the same of the aroma with a great honey malt character creeping into the picture.

Dangerously drinkable, Wow... Two Brothers thanks for the long awaiting IPA.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a slightly hazy orange/gold with a white head that doesn't stick around for long.

Smell is of citrus and some slight vanilla. Not bad.

Taste is quite nice. There is a big oak/vanilla component that works really well with the citrus.

Light on the palate with great carbonation, and a very refreshing finish.

This is quite a nice beer, and has become one of my most frequently purchased 6 packs this summer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours typical transparent IPA color with a touch of amber on the edges and a nice white frothy head. Smell is of hops, of which I cannot identify, and a light touch of malt and oak aged aromas. Taste follows suit, with a hit of hops up front but they are battling with a good amount of malt and oak aged flavors and a minor touch of wine flavors from the oak barrels. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer for it's unique take on an overly commercialized version of IPAs. The use of wine oak barrels is new to me and adding enough malt to counter the hoppiness, which at 70 IBU is bitter, is exceptional.

Resistance IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company