Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.

(Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010)
theteej77

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Cloudy with beautiful lacing with a great head. Orangey/amber/gold colored beer.
S: Citrus/hoppy/piney
T: Almost exactly as it smells. First a sweet citrus (orange/grapefruit) then then a hoppy bight, next a note of pine.
M: This beer feels thick but not overbearing.
D: Decent. One is not enough. Wouldn't drink all night.

08-01-2010 01:57:37 | More by theteej77
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +7%

A: Pale orange gold with lots of bubbles and a nice two finger head that has lots of texture. The beer is pretty clear, though a slight haze is detectable. The head seems to have pretty good retention. 4.5

S: "Smells like an IPA" ~wife. Grapefruit and pine dominate, very little if any malt character present. Maybe a little fresh cut wood, though I suppose that's pine. It's not overwhelmingly strong or complex, just a nice gentle aroma. 4.0

T: Slightly more citrusy and less piney, still no malt flavor. It's not a resiny hoppiness at all, which is nice. Definitely more in the Midwest/east coast style. Much more citrusy bitterness, though not intense and tempered with some light pale malts. Maybe a little closer to a Pale Ale in America though. 4.0

M: Lighter and crisp, a very refreshing IPA. 4.0

D: Again, refreshing, light, not overly hoppy or resiny. 4.5

08-01-2010 01:14:11 | More by mdwalsh
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

A: nice pour, orange/tan color, big white head. good retention.

S: smells more like pine than other IPA's. The pine dominates, but floral, herbal, and spicy notes are there as well.

T: tastes like the smell with the addition of lots of sweet bread-like malts reminiscent of honey. This is actually not as hoppy as expected. I think I can taste some character from the casks the beer was aged in, but I cannot put my finger on it to describe it.

M/D: Feels bubbly at first then it fades to a creamy swallow and aftertaste. Decently drinkable.

07-31-2010 18:53:05 | More by EwaldEichstaett
tempest

3.28/5  rDev -15%

While I was certainly intrigued by the aging (a foudre is a big oak cask if anyone is wondering), I was a little disappointed by how this beer turned out. There's clearly a fine, rich citrusy IPA that can hold it's own. But there's an added tart, lightly puckering feel from the oak that I though detracted from the beer. I expected something a little smoother (maybe incorrectly) and found a sharp IPA that didn't sit well.

07-21-2010 19:27:35 | More by tempest
TastyTaste

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

Hazy golden body, nice white head. I really wanted to like this beer. It has an interesting combinations from plentiful hops and barrel aging, but I get pick up a melted plastic off taste to it that I have encountered in other beers. Great malt character, but this is a real distraction from what the beer does right. Maybe I just got a bad sample?

07-21-2010 03:19:23 | More by TastyTaste
DaveonBA

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a slightly hazy orange/gold with a white head that doesn't stick around for long.

Smell is of citrus and some slight vanilla. Not bad.

Taste is quite nice. There is a big oak/vanilla component that works really well with the citrus.

Light on the palate with great carbonation, and a very refreshing finish.

This is quite a nice beer, and has become one of my most frequently purchased 6 packs this summer.

07-18-2010 22:33:59 | More by DaveonBA
beachbum1975

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Was recommended this beer while visiting Root Cellar. I didn't know it was a wood aged IPA until I got home. Generally, I don't care for IPAs that have been aged in wood, though I do like IPA's and other styles of beer that have spent time in wood.

Pours an attractive cloudy amber at the top which turns to a lighter shade of peach at the bottom. Surprisingly active carbonation stemming up from the bottom of my pint glass, all aggregating to a nice foamy 1/8 inch head atop.

First out of the gate is hoppy citrus and pine aromas, immediately followed by honey-like sweetness in the malt side.

Taste reflects the nose with hops on the forefront. After taking a few sips, the wood character is barely noticeable. I have a feeling that the wood qualities become more evident after allowing the beer to warm.

Overall this was a nice and mildly complex beer. I can drink it again, but it wasn't stellar to me in any way beyond the appearance...

07-17-2010 20:53:03 | More by beachbum1975
Buebie

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Picked up a single bottle of this.

Poured into a pub glass semi rigerously, forming a smallish head less then a half inch tall. The heat is white, slowly receding and leaving a cap of retention along with thing legs of lace.
Color resembles a 2 row based brew, a pale yellow, hazy and unfiltered looking. A small amount of orange color too, looking more like a wheat beer.

Aroma is lacking, at first smelling of irish spring bar soap with a little sweetness and floral hops, mixing with some citric notes.

Mouthfeel is biting with carbonation and a little bit of slick feel. Carbonation is bordering nuisance levels as it is quite prickly and sharp.
Taste is light as well, but as it warmed flavors are coming around. Wood seems masked by bittering hops of pine lemon zest and an odd funk. I find myself wondering where the wood went.
For an ipa though this is a decent contender. But based on the style of wood aging, the lack of aroma and the disappointing feel, I cant see myself grabbing another one of these.

07-12-2010 01:00:28 | More by Buebie
Brenden

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

I had this fresh and, thankfully, have just finally found my notes...

This beer pours out a clear coppery orange with lots of activity, forming a soft but sense white head that maintains itself well and leaves moderate lacing behind.
There's a nice addition of toasty. biscuit-like malts on the nose to counter the strong floral and citrus hops. There's a touch of very vanilla-like sweetness on the end and a hint of earthiness.
The earthiness translates in the flavor to more of an earthy/woody flavor (which now I might attribute to the oak aging since when I tried it I wasn't privy to that aspect), and the backbone is a pure leaf hops flavor with balancing malts and a touch of sweetness. Hops flavors are, as in the nose, a variance of citric and floral with an herbal leaf undertone.
The mouthfeel begins crisp and never flattens, smoothing out on the palate for a creamy finish that is also fairly dry. The body is medium and carbonation is light to moderate.
This is extremely drinkable.

07-02-2010 13:26:52 | More by Brenden
Onenote81

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Cool bottle received from pochman recently. Huge thanks, Ed!

Poured into a pint glass. Best by 10/19/10 printed on the side. Must be fresh. "Ale aged in French Oak Foudres" also printed on bottle. Historically used for aging wine [per the web]. May be my first of this type of aging. Let's see...

Pours a very cloudy dark orange/gold. An enormous off-white head grows on top. Looks superb. Great lacing and sticky lace all over the glass. The scent is what I can describe as husky and chalky. From the oak? Dry wood shavings, perhaps? Some light citrus notes, but I can't get over the dry scent. Can't say as I can place that specifically.

The body is firm. Good carbonation presence. Mellow finish. This beer is a little more tart than I would like. Expecting more of fresh hop presence, I'm instead greeted by tart lemon, a little funk, and mellowed hops. The oak-aging played a part, no doubt, but it still leaves me wondering. The finish is like green apples. I don't think I could, or would have another one of these right after the other.

This was interesting. I like that it's different, but it's not my favorite.

06-30-2010 20:54:12 | More by Onenote81
sholland119

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Had this on tap at the Pony Bar, 6/24/10.

A-Pours a hazy gold with a thin white head and some good sticky lacing.

S-Lots of sweet malt, rather light on the hops.

T-Much like the nose, there is plenty of caramel malt through, with some light earthy hops peeking through in the finish.

M-Medium bodied with some light bitterness.

D-This one was just ok for me. Rather short on the IPA characteristics.

HV

06-28-2010 19:32:58 | More by sholland119
Ryan011235

2.88/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured into a snifter on 6/13/10

Best by 10/21/10

Amber-hued with highlights of tangerine; moderate density. I started with an average pour then had to dial it back - the foam filled the snifter with over three fingers of billowy foam. Porous along the inside of the glass, it settles inward leaving an island of meringue-esque foam. Lacing is decent; drippy strings. Retention is thin & the lace dries out.

Resistance IPA smells an awful lot like other Two Brothers IPAs I've tried. It's certainly balanced, if not tipping the scale toward malty. Caramel notes are in no short supply; it actually smells fairly sweet. While the aroma suggests floral & piney hints; the hops are more citric than anything: mostly lemon zest with some orange pith. Subtle oak overtones drift about.

Spicy citrus & pine immediately crackles o'er the tongue - zesty lemon & orange assisted by some dry grapefruit hints. With each sip, this initial moment of brilliance fades into murkiness. It seems to lose something by the finish (maybe the overactive carbonation has something to do with it). Toasted malts & caramel round it out, though aren't as prominent as in the aroma. I have to admit, I''m not getting too much of an oak flavor.

Whoa; way to much carbonation going on here, in my opinion (especially on the first few sips). I'm all for ample carbonation accenting spicy notes but here it distracts from the flavor of the beer, which is a definite downfall, considering it's supposed to have the subtleties of being aged in oak foudres. Medium bodied, otherwise. Finished pretty dry with some lingering lemon zest.

The aroma made me nervous, suggesting the only thing this IPA is resisting are hops. Thankfully, that isn't the case. However, the over-carbonation makes it all but impossible to enjoy any complexities this beer offers. It's a shame; this possibly could have been the best Two Brothers IPA.

06-25-2010 18:00:38 | More by Ryan011235
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: One finger head, with good retention. White nose and a hazy golden body. Good lacing.

S: Fresh hops, with a slight hint of malt. A hint of oak is also present.

T: A bold start that shows a blast of hops. Finishes with a oaky, malt balance. The lingering tastes are dominated by the oak. Good balance of hops and oak. Not too heavy on the wood, and a great hop bitterness.

M: Good medium body and creamy mouthfeel.

D: Fresh hop bitterness, shows for a good balance of flavors between the hops and the oak. A bit thicker on the way down, but the balance of flavors makes this beer pleasing to the palate.

06-25-2010 12:50:27 | More by GDBEERMAN
david18

I was surprised to find that Two Brothers made another IPA and equally pleased to drink it. Very well balanced beer with great malt character at a very light, almost straw character. Good hop flavor and bitter aroma without being too extreme in either category. Good carbonation, a little bit of overflow but very goo. Great hop character and a great IPA in general.

06-23-2010 23:34:22 | More by david18
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Easily one of the most annoying pours of my life. Even the gentlest of pours yields a massive foam. Then I have to wait for it to recede a little so it won't overflow. I mean, once I finish pouring the thing about 2 hours later, it looks spectacular. But still. Really, though. This thing looks great. Sticky, rocky foam that just doesn't seem to go away, tons of lacing.

Aroma is slightly mild relative to other IPA's, but what is there is the fairly typical citrus and pine scent

Taste is pretty good, nothing spectacular. Solid offering. Notes of pine, citrus and hop bitterness with a slight malt backing which keeps it somewhat balanced.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, carbonation is okay, and the drinkability is moderate, but isn't really the purpose of an IPA anyways.

Pretty good.

06-23-2010 04:35:09 | More by kshankar
AgentZero

3.63/5  rDev -6%

A - Copper/amber colored beer with a big white head that left behind a nice ring and some decent lacing.

S - A sweet bit of citrus, almost pineappley. A decent grassy/floral hop profile with a little bit of bitterness all wrapped around a caramel malt backbone.

T - Grassy, with a slight bitter hop presense and mostly some caramel malts. Slight bit of honey, I think this is a little overly sweet and not hoppy enough.

M - Medium bodied with a healthy kick of carbonation, you can feel fine bubbles throughout the drink.

D - Pretty drinkable, did two. It's unoffensive and doesn't taste bad. Not a great beer by any means, and not a particularly good take on an IPA, but it's enjoyable an easy enough that I don't mind drinking it.

06-17-2010 19:07:19 | More by AgentZero
movingtrain

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

12 ounce bottle from "The J Series" sampled from a small snifter.

Slightly less than aggressive pour yields a mammoth head, and it's not going anywhere. Beer is copper in color, and seriously carbonated. Thick, creamy, three-finger depth head on top.

Aroma gives off some standard IPA notes, citrus, pine, but goes a bit further, offering hints of grape, wet grass, plum, and oak.

Tart flavors up front...bitter apple and spicy hop notes. Flavor is very cidery, and pops on the tongue. That head is still sticking around...light and fluffy. Other flavors of astringent hops and pepper.

The carbonation may be too much here. However, it does allow for an interesting play on the palate. There are some rich flavors here, and I like the playful take on the IPA (aged in French Oak Fourdes).

Overall, this is a good beer...perhaps could use some time to cool down in the bottle...although, age may make this resistance all that more aggressive.

06-11-2010 22:25:17 | More by movingtrain
slowhand429

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours typical transparent IPA color with a touch of amber on the edges and a nice white frothy head. Smell is of hops, of which I cannot identify, and a light touch of malt and oak aged aromas. Taste follows suit, with a hit of hops up front but they are battling with a good amount of malt and oak aged flavors and a minor touch of wine flavors from the oak barrels. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer for it's unique take on an overly commercialized version of IPAs. The use of wine oak barrels is new to me and adding enough malt to counter the hoppiness, which at 70 IBU is bitter, is exceptional.

06-11-2010 16:54:19 | More by slowhand429
hosehead83

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Burnt-orange in color, with a huge cloud deck of rocky, creamy foam. Nice looking beer.
Aroma-Piney citrus, subtle oakeyness
Taste-Piney citrus hops, tart oakiness, and some honey sweetness, all balanced very nicely without one flavor overpowering the other. Tasty and interesting, crisp and pleasant, a nice melding of flavors: Hop bitterness, tangy oak, and a subtle honey sweetness. Nicely done!

06-06-2010 14:16:29 | More by hosehead83
MbpBugeye

3.63/5  rDev -6%

A- You cant pour this beer softly enough. No matter what you do you will get a crazy huge head that sticks up above the glass like meringue. It leaves wild lacing thats more like pieces of the head just being torn off by the glass. The beer is a honey colored one with some chill haze and plenty of rising bubbles.

S- Honey sweet, citrusy, oakiness and caramelized malts. I cant really get a whole lot of stuff through the insane head.

T- Lots of orange at first. Then TONS of lemongrass. There is a flash of honey just before hops come in with a bitter pineiness which lingers slightly.

M- Buzzy carbonation, Slightly dry and a touch on the light side.

06-05-2010 23:32:48 | More by MbpBugeye
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

gold color with a touch of copper. the head is a little flimsy

aroma is hoppy, with a calm NW thing going on

dry and easy-drinkin session IPA. it tastes golden, if that makes any sense. piney, citrus hop flavors and assertive bitterness. a touch of golden bread and fruitiness

06-05-2010 23:04:42 | More by bruachan
nowise

2.42/5  rDev -37.3%

It has been a long time since I have had Two Brothers, ever since I bought a 12 pack sampler and all of the beers inside were anywhere from sub-par to downright nasty. They do have at least one beer that I like and this sounded intriguing so what the heck lets try it.

A: Plain Jane hazy copper color with a thick head. Despite my best efforts, the head foams up like crazy and overflows a bit. Once it settles down, it is a pretty shade of off white that sticks to the glass.

S: Smell, what smell? This is an IPA? "Best by" date is far in the future so this must be fresh. Some grass, some faint honey and generic malt smell is all I get.

T: I take a sip and realize immediately that I do not like this beer. Not even close to what I would call an IPA. More like a cross between a weak APA and a grassy EPA. The bitterness is there but the pungent hops that I have come to expect from an IPA, just missing. Heck, it says "piney citrus hops" right on the bottle but I can't taste that at all. There is a small sourness to the palette that could be the oak, but I'm not picking up anything else. It has the same yucky aftertaste from a bad batch of homebrew I had once. Overall this does not taste like a beer from a commercial brewery.

M&D: Blah, too watery not enough body. I could drink a few of these before I got sick of the taste, as long as they were cold. I am disappointed that I payed over $10 for the 6 pack and still have 5 left to drink.

In conclusion, once bitten twice shy. Or twice bitten in this case. I will not be buying Two Brothers again.

06-03-2010 22:27:25 | More by nowise
OttoBomb

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (June 1, 2010). "Best By 8/12/2010" is printed on the rear label.

A local brewery with a good reputation. This is an IPA "aged in French oak foudres". I'm going to assume these french oak containers weren't user for wine prior to beer aging. I've been meaning to try this for a while, so here we are.

Eyes: Pours a crystal clear copper with a finger of whitish head.

Nose: A softer nose than expected. Soft spice, citrus, some sweet malt/dry fruit.

Tongue: A relatively sharp, grassy bitterness with some muted malt. I can really taste the hops oils here, but they don't overwhelm which is nice. This is a bit more malty than other IPAs, but the oak aging doesn't seem to reduce the bitterness or have a massive impact on the flavor that I can tell. I would be interesting to know how long this is aged in oak.

Mouth: Medium body with good carbonation.

Libation: Not a bad IPA. I really like the oak-aged concept, but I'm not too sure what it brings to the table here. This is a bitter IPA with a potent aftertaste, but not a smashing hop assault. I get the feeling that this is a still evolving beer for Two Brothers, and I'll be returning to this in the future to see if it does in fact evolve/improve.

06-02-2010 03:48:31 | More by OttoBomb
rhoadsrage

3.55/5  rDev -8%

(Served in a dimple mug)
A- This beer pours a clear golden copper body with a gentle carbonation of bubbles. A rigorous pour produces a thin film of white head that is soon a ring.
S- The aroma of hops have a green herbal aroma to them with a slight sweetness of malt supporting them.
T- this beer has a green hop flavor that gives way to a stinging hop bitterness that stains the tongue and lingers after each sip. There is a honey malt flavor that is nice with a slight buttery quality to it but that is soon covered up by the bitterness as the beer opens up. M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer has a hop flavor that is all bitterness and that covers up all the other flavors. I love hops flavor but there is very little depth to the hops and the aroma and flavor of hops and malt are buried.

05-26-2010 20:59:41 | More by rhoadsrage
Prostman81

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a coppery color with minimal head. Not much aroma at all in the nose, more of a regular PA than IPA aroma.

Taste is about the same as it smells. Definitely not enough hop flavor or aroma, but the bitterness is there. Very underwhelming. Again, its charateristics are much more like a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Beer feels a little watery with not enough body or malt backbone. Just doesn't stand up to other IPAs in my opinion, considering the price point it is at. Another mediocre beer from Two Brothers.

05-24-2010 16:47:28 | More by Prostman81