Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.
3.84/5  rDev +0.3%

Best by 6/10/11. 12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a light shiny golden, transparent for the most part, not much haze. Decent head and lacing, but nice color. The aromas are nice, but faint.. the hops aren't in your face. There's also a nice sweetness in the aromas. This IPA is on the sweeter side.. it's bitter, but once again not over the top. Lots of sweet fruits in the mix.. pear, apple, pineapple and mango are definitely there. The oak is noticeable, but not over the top. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. There are hints of vanilla. Finishes slightly dry. Mouthfeel is nice, right amount of carbonation, medium-bodied, extremely crisp. I'd definitely revisit this one, it's pretty enjoyable. Great beer for spring/summer.

This is a pretty unique IPA.. it's subtle, but bold; slightly sweet. Once again, the oak isn't extremely noticeable, but it's presence is known. Very nice IPA which should be respected, recommended.

A: A glowing orange amber color with a nice large white head. The beer is slightly hazy.

S: Very nice hop aroma. Tropical fruits, pine, and citrus. Some sugary sweetness in the finish. Nice. Not a lot from the oak though.

T: Nice bite from the hops right off the back, piney with some citrus notes. A hint of sweet caramel, and perhaps the faintest touch of oak. The bitterness really lingers.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is a touch high for me. The bitterness really lingers with a mouthfeel that coats as you finish it.

O: Overall I think this is a pretty good beer, but I am missing the oak character. Good, but I want more.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Cask at d.b.a., Brooklyn, NY

A: The beer is clear amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that faded away but left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of citrus and pine resin hops as well as oak in the nose.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell but the hop flavors are more balanced with the malts, the latter of which contribute some sweetness to the initial taste. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and smooth on the palate with a low amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink because it has a good balance between the hops and malts.

3.37/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a yellow-gold ale with near excellent clarity (hint of haziness). single finger soap sud head falls to shin sheet of the same. Rare and spotty lacing.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, oak, metallic (copper). Not a particularly good smeller, but not bad either.

T: The oak on this is a bit too strong. Sweet ale with domineering citrus hopping and hints of pine and resin. The sweetness is persistent.

M: Medium to high body with medium to high carb. Not impressed. Too much carb for this beer.

O: Well done, not the finest oaked IPA I've had, but quite drinkable. I would likely pick up Great Divide's oaked IPA before this one side by side.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

It's hard for me to not like an IPA, so I like this one. But it is not at one I would seek out again. The taste is a tad dark, like a scottish ale or something. I am drinking it a bit warm, so that may color my opinion, but the smell is also undistinguished.

The brewery is new to me, so I wonder if all their brews are like this. I have a few of these to drink, so I also wonder if I will ike them better very cold.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Soft, finger-sized head on top of a gold brew.

Smell: Bread, crisp citrus hops, grapefruit as well.

Taste: Soft bitter character, strong citrus and grapefruit flavors. Alcohol is not noticeable.

Very clean, simple IPA. A bit too expensive, though, all things considered.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Live Review from Two Brothers Brewing in Warrenville, IL.

I've had this beer a hundred times in the bottle and it is one of my go-tos, but this is the first time on tap. Excuse the conciseness of this as it is being done from my iPhone.

A: Homogeneous, white, quarter-inch head rests atop a crystal clear orange-copper beer. Lacing goes down either side of the glass, but not the front and back.

S: Grapefruit is way more noticeable in the nose on tap than it is in the bottle. Hops and a strong floral presence are the backbone of the nose.

T: Perhaps due to the aroma, the grapefruit is far more pronounced on tap than in the bottle. The hops are strong as well, providing a nice bitter base to this beer. Floral and pine notes are also present.

M: Tiny, tiny bubbles tickle the palate, but this is an area the Resitance could improve upon, not as well carbonated as I would have liked.

O: Living in the Chicago Area, I am happy to have this as one of my standard IPAs. It has broad appeal to those who prefer bitter and is an outstanding example of an American IPA.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

Big shoutout to ChadQuest for this beer, he hooked me up with some awesome Midwest locals in the deal we did. Thanks Chad!

Pours an orange sap color with yellow and tan hints blended into the body. Head is a healthy three-finger lacy beast, with a froth consistency that leaves excellent spotty lacing.

Nose is very much of the tropical mango variety, with plenty of sweetness as well. Only on the tail does any hop bitterness come out, and even then it is weak. There is a slightly odd scent that comes from this here that isn't wood, but I presume came from it, as the bottle says this was aged in French Oak Foudres.

Taste starts with a ton of orange citrus and juice. I LOVE the sheer concentration of the orange as the beer doesn't mess around with any other fruit really. Probably the first orange specific beer I've had, as usually it's blended in somehow with other fruits. As the orange fades, what clearly is wood comes out a bit more to add on to the citrus, offering a very pleasant oak to the palate. A touch of pine adds a morsel of flavor as well. The citrus from the start is actually quite acidic and leaves the tongue wanting for sweetness which it never really gets. I happen to enjoy the minimal sweetness in this beer, as the malt acts to neutralize any bitterness from the hops whole not overdoing it. Finish is half sticky half dry, completing the excellent taste. Nothing really unpleasant about the taste so it's tough not giving it a 5, but I've had better remains the end all to those arguments.

Mouthfeel is acidic and sticky at the end, with intense carbonation at the start of each sip enhancing the acidity greatly. This beer is drinkable simply due to the great taste and balance; the harshness at the start may put some off, but I find it pleasing and crucial to the identity of the beer. Great beer I hadn't even heard of before I got it, thanks for opening my eyes to Two Brothers Chad.

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

This beer is not worthy of a full review but for the sake of others it needs to be said. This is not an IPA, I don't know what else to call it but IPA is not it. The first thing I did was check the "best buy date" and that was not an issue. It tasted that way though, in a word this beer is SKUNKY, sour and damn near un drinkable. I have never been a huge fan of 2B but figured this oaked IPA could be a hit, nope. I don't know what the sourness comes from but it must be the oak.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to ChadQuest for the interesting treat!

Hazy golden orange pour, with a billowy white finger of head that leaves a bit of lacing that doesn't stick.

Aroma is slight, but noticeable. Pungent citrus fruits, notes of bitterness, some oak, and malty sweetness.

Taste much more nicely pronounced. The start is rather tart, mixed with citrus fruit and bitterness. There's some underlying malt sweetness, though lesser than the aroma. The finish is bitter, but moves more oaky/champagne/tart. Very interesting, but I'm enjoying it.

Feel is medium in body, sort of creamy textured, nicely carbonation and overall feels good.

Though I really enjoyed the tart/citrus/hoppy mashup, as a newbie to anything remotely sour, it would be somewhat of a chore to down any more than one. But, the one was a breeze!

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Medium to deep gold, quite clear, Moderate off-white head with moderate retention.

Aroma-Resin and Pinesol, with a hint of lemon. So hoppy its almost chemical, like dry erase markers or white out (could be a phenolic note or something, it's very unusual). I can't decide whether or not I like it. Woody, fresh oak aroma (dissimilar from a barrel aged aroma). Woody alcohols as well. Malt is almost entirely imperceptible underneath the hop onslaught.

Flavor-Flavor is much more manageable. Sweet, honey and bready malt creates a foundation for citrusy (lemon and orange), piney hops. Oak character doesn't make much of an appearance in the flavor, maybe as a slight young wood note in the finish, but I don't think I would have perceived it as such if I hadn't been looking for it. Finishes semi-sweet, with moderate hop bitterness, much less than I was expecting after the searing aroma.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, with medium high, prickly carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth. No astringency from hops. Finish is a little bit sweet, though not quite cloying.

I was expecting more, but this beer was just okay. The strange chemical hop aromas were a big turn-off for me. The flavor was pretty damn good except that the finish was a hair too sweet, which didn't leave me thirsting for more.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Visual: Pours 1 finger head into pint glass. Gold with orange hues. Lacing left uniformly on glass.

Aroma: Honey, grass, citrus

Taste: I seem to agree with the taste description on the bottle. Definitely a sweet honey malt backed with a citrus/pine hopping, also complemented with some oaky taste. Very good. Hops are present but not overpowering, the slight hop bite at the end is a pleasant reminder that you are drinking an ipa.

Mouth: Light-medium, beer-like.

Drunkability: Well-balanced ipa that would provide for a nice session beer. Beer dinner.?..Yes please.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

pours an unfiltered golden yellow.very little head that dissipates.

smell is very piny hops. very fresh.

taste has the piny hops of the smell carry through with a good level of bitterness.

mouth is very light and refreshing.

very good ipa but not quite equal to their seasonal ipa heavy handed. it is nice that two brothers has a year round ipa.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Poured into my stemmed tulip. Heres We Goes!

Appearance- Hazy golden yellow with two fingers of foamy white head that hangs around for a bit and then falls into a bubbly ring. Spotty lacing.

Smell- Bright citrusy hops and some faint wood tones. A slight biscuit malt and alcohol note.

Taste- A big bold juicy citrus hop whack at first. Then it goes to a sweet malt middle with a oaky smooth mellow finish. There are some slight honey notes and some sweet vanilla from the oak. Maybe a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Very ample carbonation with a medium body. Oily texture with a nice clean smooth dry finish. Somewhat sticky.

Drinkability- Dangerous! This is one of those beers that you don't want your glass to empty. A six pack doesn't last too long around here. I have one more in the fridge and 3 in my brew closet for next week. One of the more complex IPAs that I have drank that don't fit into the Imperial Double IPA category. This beer is a rock solid example of the American IPA category. Overall this is in my favorite IPA category. The french oak adds a smoothness that makes this beer go down way to easily.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip. Thanks goes to HosP for this one

A: Pours a tangerine orange color with a thin off white head that quickly faded into a faint film that left thin traces of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Notes of orange sherbet hops and maybe a hint of vanilla.
T: I get notes of orange zest, light acetone nail polish remover, sweet citrus juice, and a touch of lemon and light pale malt. I wouldn't know this was oak aged unless you told me, but it tastes pretty good. Finish has a pretty good dose of bitter.
M: Tingly, bubbly carbonation over a medium body with a soft body. Alcohol isn't warm but there is still that slight acetone flavor.
D: Overall I liked it, but it's not very memorable. Still, it's a good beer with a great flavor. Thanks again Mark for hooking it up.

Poured from bottle into Mug

A - Beer has a copper colored body to it; low amount of carbonation; one finger white head and holds very well in the glass

S - Citrus hops hit your nose first then its followed up by a subtle-oak scent and pine notes; well-balanced

T - Citrus hop taste; floral and pine hop tones; some subtle oak flavors; malt-biscuit backbone finishing with a hop bitter aftertaste

M - smooth flavor (from the oak aging); slightly effervescent and tickles the tongue; crisp and leaves lingering flavors in the mouth

D - Very good drink and a great IPA; right level of IBU's for an IPA (70); good balance of flavors and scents; this beer is definitely worthy of another visit

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a 16oz stemless snifter. 70 IBUs; best by date 5/13/2011.

Pours a light orange/golden honey color with a single finger head (not poured vigorously). The all white cap dissipates rather quick and leaves a foamy ring of creamy bubbles.

The nose is hop forward with subtle wood notes from the French oak. The wood melds into the caramel and pale malts which form a dark sweet toffee aroma battling the piney hops.

Starts with a carbonated tingle and bitter hops up front. There is a nice juicy burst at the center of the hop profile which is mellowed out by the oak backdrop. Very nice ending and not too sticky considering how concentrated the flavor is. The brew is strangely reminiscent of a pale wheat ale; I find it refreshing and fulfilling.

The mouth is rough up front, but smooths out quickly. I think the high amount of carbonation works well for this beer. I will definitely get this one again.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz. bottle on February 2nd, 2011 in my Bell's pint glass.

A - Hazy off-yellow/gold with a solid white foam head.

S - Sweetness from honey or caramel, lots of pine and citrus.

T - The oak does come through a little bit. More prevalence of pine, good balance between hops and malt (the honey in the malt is very slight).

M - Medium body (not too thin), proper carbonation, some smoothness (from the barrels methinks).

D - Not mindblowing, but decent. More than worthy of a revisit.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Vintage Estates for $1.99. Split into two tulips.

Appearance (4.5): Slightly cloudy, orange-ish gold body with yellow around the edges. Big fluffy white head - two fingers in one glass and one and a half in the other - which leaves a thick ring and a patchy layer on top. Great lacing where the head was.

Smell (4.5): This may be the best part of this beer for me. A nice, caramelly sweet malt backbone you would expect from a DIPA. Some honey and passionfruit from the hops; reminds me of a toned down Hopslam. A bit of vanilla possibly from the French Oak, but not much there; wouldn't notice it if I didn't know it was oak aged. I finally pick up a faint cedar-like note once it warms up a bit.

Taste (3.5): Caramel malt and a bit of grapefruit up front. Sweetness in the middle but still a bit watery somehow. I feel like this beer should pop right here with big hop flavors; maybe it's an older bottle (picked it up a couple months ago). I really don't taste any oak here, maybe a bit of a vanilla undertone like I mentioned in the aroma; it really takes awhile to come out once it warms up. There's a bit in the initial flavor and it lingers throughout but you really need to look for it. That might be a good thing actually, as I don't like overly oaked IPAs.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Like I mentioned, it's a bit thin despite the sweetness. The hops do coat the mouth and leave a nice lingering floral-ness along with the caramel sweetness though. I would say it's light to medium bodied and the carbonation is pretty low; leaving the flavors a bit flat. There is a bit of a drying sensation after a few moments, which may be a product of the wood.

Drinkability (4.5): Definitely very drinkable at almost 7%. It definitely leaves me wanting some more, especially if I could find it fresh.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Best before date of 4/15/10
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Dark yellow with a slight amber tinge and half a finger of bubbly off-white head.

S - Bitterness up front with pine, grapefruit and orange peel. A sweet caramel malt backbone rounds it out. No real discernible oak barrel notes.

T - Bitter piney hops with some faint citrus notes coming through as well. Sweet caramel malt backbone. Some light flavours of oak are evident in the background but may be unnoticeable if I wasn't looking for them.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

I poured this beer into tulip glass, great head with an incredible hoppy nose, love it, love it. Tastes of orange peel, very sharp, very small amount of oak in the flavor. This is an extremely enjoyable, robust, bright, piney IPA, I enjoyed it considerably, highly recommended!

Reviewed on: 12-08-2010 02:39:22

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Color is a dull, hazy orange. Pours with a white one inch head. Displays good lacing as beer is consumed.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit, some tropical hop flavors. Some earthy notes. Smells good.

T: More grapefruit hop goodness early in the taste. Some bready malt flavors balance out the flavor mid taste with a pleasantly bitter finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. In style.

D: This was a nice, easy drinking IPA. Lots of hops up front without being overly bitter. The beer was crisp and quite tasty. Not a top contender in the category, but very enjoyable.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark copper, shinny penny color. Very slight haze to clarity. Thick white ring around edge of glass. Bright, very orange peel citrus aroma. Pick up some of the oak sweetness, but not a ton, quite pleasant aroma. Bright sweetness in beginning. Big orange peel finish, especially on swallow. Pick up some oak in addition to the hops on the dryness in the finish. Aftertaste has a flavor like that of grape skin. Pick up a medium malt character and some subtle metallicness on the back of the tongue. With warmth, honey flavor comes out in full force in the middle to end. Light, somewhat crisp. Not as near as much oak as I was expecting, would like to have has at least a touch more. Sweetness and dryness are pretty well balanced.

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to taiyed for this bottle!

Grabbed one o' these during the initial stages of brewing today. It pours a slightly hazy sunrise amber topped by a finger of slightly off-white foam. The nose comprises pine, grapefruit, lemon, melon, flowers, and smooth toffee. The taste runs very similarly, with slightly less toffee (that's right, folks, even more hoppy goodness!) and a touch of cedar in the background. The body straddles the border between heavy light and light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-dry finish. Overall, a very nice IPA, very hop-forward without really stinging the tongue, and the wood really works in a nice, subtle way.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint.

A: Pours a hazy amber with a soft two finger head.

S: Smells like soft hops and honey.

T: Smooth hops and the flavours from the barrels shine through. Its surprisingly complex and smooth.

D: Refreshingly crisp and drinkable.

Overall: A great brew. It is smooth and sparkling with a lot of wine-like flavours and a surprising amount of complexity. I heard this was a one-time brew so...get it while the gettin's good!

Resistance IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company