Resistance IPA - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Resistance IPAResistance IPA

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.

(Beer added by: homebrew311 on 03-18-2010)

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Had this one live on hand-pull @ the brewery.

This one pours a translucent gold color and has two fingers of fluffy white head that leaves mass webs of lacing all over the glass.

The nose is a wonderful blend of hops and caramel malt. A sweet buttery malt starts it off and turns to a grapefruit and mango dessert.

The taste is sweet and biscuity up front with the hops working their magic immediately after. The balance achieved here is delightfulfuly tasty. A bit of vanilla is noticed in there as well which is nice.

The mouthfeel is what I noticed first with this beer. So damn smooth in your mouth and going down. A low amount of carbonation is present as expected.

Overall, I thought this brew was great when I had my first bottle, better when I first had it on tap, and even better out of the cask! So smooth!

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Another Great Two Bros. product, wish I had More access to this one!
Looked beautifully mucky golden,decent hesd with lots of lacing!
Smell was somewhat weak but with everything there just low key,mostly sweet malt,faint hops!
Wonderfully complex and balanced, you taste the hops now subdued by the malts slight oak/vanilla undertow with a touch of smokiness(i think?)
Mouthfeel is total joy, lots of stuff going on all good!
drink is very nice,complex but not mind boggling like stated earlier wish I could get this more often,VERY SOLID breath of fresh air!

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy orange-ish copper. Half inch of white foam. Nice lacing sticks as the beer disappears. Head stays with it for most of the duration.

S - Mostly citrus hop aromas hit you right away with a touch of piney resin. The oak comes out in full, and there is a touch of vanilla. A sweet maltiness peaks in as well.

T - A nice citrus bang to start mixed with a slight hop bitterness. Not as hoppy and bitter as most IPAs, which is probably why I like it so much. I get a nice toasted malt backbone and notes of apple cider and oak. A nice clean finish, no bitter qualities linger in the mouth. This is a finely balanced beer. I'm really digging this one. I'm not real wild about IPAs... Most people who claim IPA as their favorite style may not agree with me, but this tastes awesome.

M - Moderate to high carbonation. Not as full as many IPAs, then again it doesn't leave all of those bitter qualities in the mouth like some IPAs. It is crisp and pretty refreshing.

D - At nearly 7%, I could drink this one on the regular. Behind Columbus IPA, this is definitely my favorite American IPA. It is a beer that I will seek out many times in the future. I'd recommend this to craft drinkers who are interested in moving into IPAs, but like I said, seasoned IPA drinkers may not be wild about it.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Sampled this with the local distributor..

This beer pours crystal clear into the oversized sample glass. Big white foam sits on top releasing tons of aromatic hop compounds. Big pine with a nice citrus background with a layer of sweet malt and oak underneath.

This beer hits the palate without the force you might expect of something that is at 70 IBU's. It tastes much the same of the aroma with a great honey malt character creeping into the picture.

Dangerously drinkable, Wow... Two Brothers thanks for the long awaiting IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

A little under a year ago, when touring the Two Brothers Brewery, my friends and I noticed an oak cask sitting behind a bunch of boxes in the back of the warehouse. When question and answer time came around, we were prompt to ask about it. Jim simply mentioned that it is for something they are working on, and left it at that. Since then, I've been sidetracked with Bare Tree and their Moaten Flemish sour. That beautiful oak cask had long since left my memory. So, you can imagine my surprise when, walking through the local beverage store (I was "just looking around") when I came upon a special display for the J Series oak aged Resistance IPA and Long Haul session.

The bottle and label are pretty standard; with a simple barrel pictured in the center, the earth toned non-flashy art work is just enough to catch your eye.

Upon pouring it into the glass, the aroma is sweeter than expected. The mouthfeel, a little heavier than what I thought it would be, was another interesting surprise. Super smooth, Resistance is smooth upfront with a latent bitter punch on the sides of your tongue. The bitterness then sticks to the back of your throat but dissipates well as you exhale through your nose.

During my first pint, I was barely able to put the glass down as I kept wanting more. Highlly drinkable at 6.9% by volume, this beer can be dangerous, but a sweet danger at that.

Resistance IPA can be enjoyed alone or with a nice dinner, preferably something with a lot of meat. This is a good spring and summer ale.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, so should you.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Drink by date of 2/25/12.

Appearance: Clear golden/orange color with a good amount of carbonation. Nice white head with good retention.

Smell: Nice strong smell that is well blended. I get strong citrus and hop tones. Very appealing.

Taste: Great malty sweetness at the beginning. Has strong citrus flavors, similar to the smell. It ends with a hoppy bitterness that is refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Clean crisp feel with a mild carbonation that sits well. There is a slight bitter after taste which is nice.

Overall: Very good beer. I have tried several two brothers beers and they have all been great, this one as well. This was an easy beer to drink and had a nice flavor. I look forward to drinking again.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz bottle poured into a 16oz stemless snifter. 70 IBUs; best by date 5/13/2011.

Pours a light orange/golden honey color with a single finger head (not poured vigorously). The all white cap dissipates rather quick and leaves a foamy ring of creamy bubbles.

The nose is hop forward with subtle wood notes from the French oak. The wood melds into the caramel and pale malts which form a dark sweet toffee aroma battling the piney hops.

Starts with a carbonated tingle and bitter hops up front. There is a nice juicy burst at the center of the hop profile which is mellowed out by the oak backdrop. Very nice ending and not too sticky considering how concentrated the flavor is. The brew is strangely reminiscent of a pale wheat ale; I find it refreshing and fulfilling.

The mouth is rough up front, but smooths out quickly. I think the high amount of carbonation works well for this beer. I will definitely get this one again.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light orange with a one finger white head. Okay retention and thick lacing.

S: Smells really fruity (passion fruit?) with some dank hops.

T: This is a really fruity IPA. The hops are not biting, but they're rather quite subdued. Passion fruit, orange, banana, and a bit of orange cream dominate most of this brew. I'm really liking the whipped cream taste that floats around the middle of the palate...it's really nice. After taste is more cream and a bit of pine hops. I'm guessing the cream flavor is from the malt? Very interesting taste.

M: Medium-thick, creamy, smooth. Not a lot of carbonation that's being picked up.

O: A really interesting, yet quite good IPA. I don't know if it's from the supposed aging in the french barrels or what, but the taste profile is quite different. This is not a hop-bomb at all. There is a huge amount of different flavors going on. Most IPAs fall into the trap of not being complex and end up being a huge hop or malt bomb. This one manages to be complex, yet assertive.

I thus conclude that this is one of my favorite regular IPAs. Congrats, Two Brothers =)

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Small head to the beer. A nice yellowish hue and a tiny white head.

Smells of grassiness, citrus, pine, and oak.

I gotta say right off I don't like A/IPA's normally because of the aftertaste, so this one changes everything for me. It has all the full flavor of an IPA the pine and citrus, but the finish is a nice sweetnees from the oak aging. It doesn't have the usual grapefruit/bitter aftertaste.

A nice smoothness to the beer and a nice clean crisp finish.

I could have a few more of these on a regular day, and if it was a warmer day I could drink this all day. I want another one right now, which is unbelievable cause it is an IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

IPA's aren't my favorite, but it is summer (time for lighter beers) and I do love me some oaky flavor in my whiskey.

~1 finger of thin bubbly head, nice amber tan body

Dominant grassy smell, pine, some citrus and floral action.

Right carbonation, nice medium body that glided down to my gullet.

Taste: great hop bite combined with juicy bitter grapefruit. Tang and Five Alive come to mind too. These play second fiddle to mellow oak in the aftertaste. Love that slight burn, reminds me of sipping whiskey. Just when I thought all IPAs tasted the same...

Damn this is great, love the oaky finish. Could sip a few of these all day.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours typical transparent IPA color with a touch of amber on the edges and a nice white frothy head. Smell is of hops, of which I cannot identify, and a light touch of malt and oak aged aromas. Taste follows suit, with a hit of hops up front but they are battling with a good amount of malt and oak aged flavors and a minor touch of wine flavors from the oak barrels. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer for it's unique take on an overly commercialized version of IPAs. The use of wine oak barrels is new to me and adding enough malt to counter the hoppiness, which at 70 IBU is bitter, is exceptional.

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed orange-yellow color. I only could muster about a quarter finger of frothy white head. Retention and lacing are hard to judge given the lack of head.

4.5 S: The oak smells wonderful in this; possibly because this beer was seemingly brewed to meet oak. Earthy and grassy hops dominate with a slight cat piss undertone. The oak makes this super earthy. Clean malts with a bready yeastiness.

4.5 T: Tastes like the nose. Earthy and grassy hops. Super earthy oak. Clean malt and bready yeast. Low bitterness. Incredible complementarity between the hops, oak, malts, and yeast.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess, like some portion had come from a cask.

4.5 D: A stellar IPA that doesn't taste at all like the typical stellar IPA. Love the earthiness in this. Everything works so well.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a hazy honey color. Finger of white head that leaves behind lots of soapy lacing.

S: Subtle pine and citrus hops with sweet malts. Has something that reminds me of honey, but not sure.

T: This is a nice tasting beer. The bittering of the hops is perfectly balanced by the sweet malts. The piney hops, to me, are a little more present than citrus, but overpowering.

M: Buttery and rich.

O: This is a really good beer that I'd love to have more of. Very easy to drink almost to the point where you have to remind yourself to slow down.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - slightly hazed golden color with a white head that was small yet still left a fine sheet of lacing.

S - light, sweet & floral.

T - very nice flavors with this beer, sweet citrus fruit, some oak and a hint of yeast before going somewhat dry and bitter on the finish.

F - medium bodied, crisp and refreshing.

O - I enjoyed this beer very much and will be getting more.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

What a pleasant surprise THIS was. I received this as a local extra in a trade with RC0032. Thanks a ton for this one boss. This is the kind of IPA I can slug all damned day. This is the epitome of a session beer. The hops are fabulous, without burning out your palate. I gave the appearance a 4, but I have to admit, I drank this from the bottle. I did not rate the appearance until I completed the other ratings however, and tried to grade it at the average of the other scores. This is one of my top 10 IPA's by far at this point. This review is taking forever to type out because I can scarcely blow out a sentence before having to pick the bottle up again. Highly recommend this little gem from Two Brothers. The fact only 3 people have this on their Want List simply means the word isn't out on this. Believe me...you WANT this beer.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into belgian tulip (felt like being fancier than a pint glass, since it's aged in french foudres). Pours a clear yellow-orange with a lovely fluffy white head that sticks everywhere, leaving incredibly fine lacing. Smell is pretty complex; smooth oak overtones swim among spicy, piney hops and muted slightly sweet bready malt. Taste is harsh at first, a piney hop barrage which fades, with slight citrus rind flavors, into smooth oak, honey, bready malt and slight alcohol warmth which works very well with the flavors. Hoppy beers work very well on oak; this is reminding me of Oaked Old Guardian. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Having loved Burton Baton I have high hopes for this one. If anything it will drink like an oak aged pale

A - A nice clear amber with orange hues head was a nice two inches but turns to a sudsy ring with sticking lace throughout.

S - Hops are there but kind of faint which is understandable with oak aging. I do get subtitle notes of french oak which smell like a newly cut pool deck and notes of vanilla.

T - Wow all I can say is balanced. You start with a bit of sweet orange and lemon hops which turn to a sweetness of the barrel and touches of vanilla and finishes kind of grain like with notes of lemon hops which linger on the tongue for a good 10 seconds.

M - Surprising for the abv the body is light to medium. Hoppy but balanced

Overall I kid you not I enjoyed this more than the Kane and Ebel offering which was kind of eh. If I could find this in PA it would be my favorite session ale but I would need to travel to Ohio to get some more. With a 1.99 price tag its totally worth the 12 dollar sixer (might want to find a case) Subtle, hoppy, and with a nice sweetness this beer is a winner.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

I poured this beer into tulip glass, great head with an incredible hoppy nose, love it, love it. Tastes of orange peel, very sharp, very small amount of oak in the flavor. This is an extremely enjoyable, robust, bright, piney IPA, I enjoyed it considerably, highly recommended!

Reviewed on: 12-08-2010 02:39:22

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Sam Adams glass. Best by date: 10/4/10. The body was honey-orange with a distinct haze. The minimal fine white head sank to a film leaving only a film.

The aroma was out of this world! Very nice. Grassy, piney, bread and flowers. No noticeable alcohol in the smell. Wood shavings and vanilla. Honey and wild onions. I'm not being poetic, there was lots going on in this beer.

The taste was juicy sweet up front with a drying bitter aftertaste. Grapefruit rind and caramel malts. Alcohol is evident in the taste. The distinct components work well together in this beer.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Adequate carbonation.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

first review, so bare with me.

warm orange/copper color, clear - reminds me of my shades. the color that jumps into mind when i regularly think, "beer"

lots of citrus when it hits my nose. definitely grapefruit, a little orange. dig it.

taste is great. bitter as expected, but not too far out. not punching me in the mouth, but still something else. after it goes down, the taste hangs out for a little bit, and i'm welcoming it.

feels pretty good. not a thick beer, but not a light beer either. i feel like there could be a little more carbonation, but it goes down easy.

overall, i feel like i could drink a lot of these. i say that a lot, but all things considered, an awesome beer from a great brewery.

thumbsup

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Super clear copper color with nice bubling compared to most IPA's I've had. The head could use some tooling up though.

Toasted biscuits and Wonderbread, citric and piney hops, plus the faint nuance of oak and a ittle vanilla in the aroma. This is a very smooth smelling beer. Very nice!

Light oily txture combined with sweet oak and biscuits upfront. The middle has some earthen covered citrus fruit peels mixing with said biscuits, but less oak and vanilla flavors. The finish is a slow resin of bitter citrus peels, faintly sweetend by tasted caramel malts and oay vanila.

This isa great Ipa worth trying while its still available. Not a hop heads bitterness bomb, but a complex and balanced version of the style.

Resistance IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company