Atom Smasher - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: yeahnatenelson on 09-03-2010

Ratings: 421 | Reviews: 98
4.44/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into dimpled pint glass, two finger off white head with moderate carbonation.

Appearance: amber to dark brown in color

Mouthfeel: thick

Smells: bready, malty, and toasty

Taste: The best part of this beer, is the complex taste! You get the bready malt with a toasty, spicy finish at the end, but the final finish is the French Oak that they age this brew in for about a month.

Overall, this is a splendid beer! I want to try it on draught.

4.37/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Practically flawless! Clear, rich copper-colored body with a thick, off-white that leaves plenty of lacing as the glass slowly empties. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
A simple, caramel sweetness hangs about it that is laced with fresh citrus and spice.

Taste:
An Earthy, bitter bite catches you off guard up front, but is perfectly balanced with malty sweetness. Vague caramel and oak notes wrap themselves in a fresh bread. Finish is nice and spicy, leaving you yearning for the next sip.

Mouthfeel:
Silky smooth and easy to drink. Refreshing and lightly carbonated sum up this medium-bodied beer beautifully.

Overall:
Easily one of the best Oktoberfest-Style beers I've ever had, if not one of the best beer, period. Find it, buy it, & enjoy it!

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

Served in a "Deutschland" mug

Got this bottle on a whim from my local Binny's. It pours a clear dark orange with a thin quickly receding white head. The smell is very nice. Aside from the malt which there is strong smell of there is the smell of orange zest, pepper and what I believe to be an almost woodsy mesquite aroma. The taste is pretty damn good too. As far as I'm concerned it's the best Oktoberfest I've had this season. Now I say that with the caveat that my preference is to the sweeter more American Oktoberfests. Having said that the flavor is sweet malts on the front with hints of smokiness. The aftertaste isn't much with the distinct bittering and hints of cinnamon. It is smooth and highly drinkable. A definite recommendation if you have the opportunity.

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%

Served out of a 22oz bottle.

A- Cloudy pumpkin color, hazy hazy clarity, no head retention.

S- Malty malty, some noble hop aroma, fruity aroma

T- Good balance, big time vienna/munich maltiness just enough hops to balance, slight oakiness, warming alcohol

M- Thick mouthfeel with medium carbonation, slightly syrupy in a good way

D- Very drinkable because of its balance and mouthfeel

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into pint glass from bottle.

A: Pours a light caramel brown with some amber tones to it. Small white head dissipates quickly and leaves a splotchy cap.

S: Smells real tasty. Caramel malts are plentiful. Some hops, but overall nice sweetness coming out of this pour. Sweet/Smokey.

T: The caramel malt and hops combine to make a real balanced and tasty drink. At 7.7 the alcohol is perfectly masked. Some smokiness lingers on the palate from the oak aging. Real nice sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with awesome mouth coating. Fairly wet all the way through. Real easy and fun to drink.

O: One of my favorite marzens now. I can see me buying quite a few more six packs this season.

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

After a rough day, grueling test, and unusual friendships I came home to chores. What better way to unwind after those than an oktoberfest beer in 80 degree weather. Either way, this bomber was an impulse buy while shopping at my favorite Binny's. Saved for about a week and poured into a snifter to review live for my pleasure.

Vision
Interesting beer for me. This is quite unusual to view. There is this honey-wheat bubble mass that died faster than a youtube celebrities career. All that remained was this biofilm in the center with a jersey popped collar.

The body itself is blood orange red with ruby-light edges. The carbonation, which I can only assume is minimal on inspection, is hidden in the murk.

The entire collection is rather unique in how it presents itself as a package deal. It actually makes me smile.

Bouquet
Not only did it pull a single, but it stole second base here. The flavors confuse me at first. Barley, apples, and more! How can this be an oktoberfest? My experience must have been in lies.

The initial notes are bitingly sweet. It is the love bite of kittens on my nostrils. At first annoying, but when I understand it I appreciate it exponentially more. This is the apples definitely coming out with citrus notes, styled in the orange variety.

The second half is faintly malty, caramel perhaps, with a slap on my backside of funk. I had to weasel it apart, tweeze its fibers from the hidden core.

Flavor Profile
If it stole second, perhaps this initial sip can roll it around to third base... and it definitely did! It is almost within scoring, but that will have to wait.

The first flavors are caramel apples. It isn't the biting sweetness of a delicious red, but the smooth combination of an apple slice slathered in that brown sugary dip. As I swirl this flavorful liquid around my month I detect the slightness of hops. It is gone as soon as I swallow and am left with an unusual finish.

Here again the apples come through, but they have been touched by the oak aging. It is as if I took the bitter apple skin taste that is oddly sweet and turned it up a notch on the wood scale. I definitely enjoy this, but oak aging isn't for everyone. Truly different.

Oral Sensations
Unfortuantely, this beer does not make it all the way to home base. The opposing team struck this batter out. Sure, he did well going 3-2, but he didn't connect when he needed to. Popped out.

The beer borders that full margin but falls just short into still watery territory. Not only that, but there is a level of carbonation missing that I require from a beer like this. Sure, it is not the best in these respects, but that doesn't mean it is bad.

In the end, it is easily drinkable and goes down well enough. Tad bit watery, tad bit under-carbonated, but still tasty.

Conclusions
This beer pulled a triple. Sure, it could have been a home run, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. I'd definitely share this with a buddy when out at a bar or just watching the game. It is a solid addition to any line-up to counter-act something weaker in the alcohol... Speaking of that.

The 7% never really comes out in any negative way. It is well done for being one of the highest percents. I think I might just go purchase one, 7$ is cheap!, and surprise my buddy this weekend with it.

4.26/5  rDev +13.9%

I purchased this at The Fridge over the Fall of 2014 and it, like so many, fell victim to my backlog here at Chez Woody. I am just happy to be able to open it in March!

From the Bottle: "The J Series"; "A hefty, full-bodied lager like the Marzens of old, but aged in our oak foudres for complexity unmatched by the imported Oktoberfest beers of today. Just add Lederhosen."; "Two Brothers is a craft brewery on the outskirts of Chicago that specializes in rare and seldom-brewed beer styles. The two of us - Jason and Jim Ebel - strive to produce the very best beers available anywhere."; "We hope that you enjoy them as much as we do!"

I Pop!ped the cap and once gain, instituted a heavy-handed pour. The result was two fingers of rocky, foamy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was odd for the styel, coming off more like the interior of a humidor! It was very malty sweet, but masked/overlain (?) by some heavy oakiness. Now, I was intrigued to try it. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching, but not quite achieving creaminess. This was a really interesting admixture of flavors with the slightly syrupy sweetness of the Oktoberfest/Marzen getting intertwined with the woodiness of the oak foudres. Oak-aged maple syrup, perhaps? It was at once sweet and then dry, like a contradiction in terms. It is impressive that the Ebels were able to pull this off to this extent. Finish was semi- ... Just semi- because I could not decide whether to insert sweet or dry. It was some of both and one of the ore interesting beers that I have had in a while. Does this mean that my Hophead status is in jeopardy of revocation?

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

22oz bottle into an over sized Paulaner stein, wow this glass is huge.
    A: The body is a very hazy hue, with a murky orange appearance. The head pours with vigor, but settles into a nice layer. Small batches of lacing are left behind.
    S: sweet barley notes, with a nice subtle earthy hop nose. Overall a bit on the medium intensity side, but very nice for the style. A very nutty aroma with some caramel elements.
    T/M: The first thing that hits is the big feel of a creamy Two brothers beer, the mouthfeel is a thick welcome to the roasted and nutty flavor of the malts. The spice on the body is a nice balance between the malts and some hop dry character at the end.
    D: This is a nice take on a classic style and have found it among the best of the domestic marzens. Good overall beer, with having it on draft, I would say that it is very drinkable.

Great offering, love the Oak

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

I am digging this marten style beer. The hoppy smell and taste of Carmel and spice was a unique treat. Also has that German bite and finish.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to florida9 for this. It pours a deep copper with a slight white head. Lots of oak on the nose, some sweetness. The flavor is heavy on oak, some grassiness, some sweetness, some toffee. It is fuller than most marzens, very sticky mouthfeel, decent carbonation. I really liked this one. The oak did wonders for it,almost wish I did not split it with a friend.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Good amber color. Absent the foam and lacing that I normally like, but this strikes me as a no frills working man's beer. On those standards, this is a winner.

Smell: Nutmeg, cinnamon, and some oak. It reminds me of an oaked chardonnay in a way. Not what I expected.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Looks like a medium-bodied ale, but tastes a bit like a white wine (see oaked chardonnay). The spices make the mouthfeel extraordinary crisp with a great bite.

Overall Drinkability: Two Brothers knocks another one out of the park.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a Huber Beer Stein

A) Clear, dark brown color, fall oak leave color, thick three finger head that dissipates quickly leaving a lot of lacing. Good amount of carbonation too.

S) Wow oak up front immediately then lager yeast and malt.

T) Roasted malt, can taste Munich maybe pilsner grains, oaky finish and a little alcohol at the end. Very sweet beer nonetheless.

M) Medium Carbonation, light body, but not watery

O) Not a bad American style Oktoberfest. Very tasty beer I can't wait to have on tap!

4.15/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ended up in Westlake, OH in mid-Oct 2012 and this was a recommendation to me from the local craft beer place, Fine Wine and Tobacco for "local seasonal beer".

A - Pours deep golden amber. Obvious from the pour this is not your typical Marzen
S - Sweet malt, maple syrup, bright oak, sweet yeast
T - This is not your typical Marzen. At. All. It's a malt forward, heavy lager with a sweet maple (I know it's oak but it tastes like maple) taste. This is amazing for the season, but an "Oktoberfest" this is not.
M - I love how this goes down. Smooth like a sweet bourbon. Full like an Autumn brown, but sweet. This typifies Autumn in the NE and NE/Midwest to me.
O - I love this beer. I really do. However, I am going to rate it as it's labeled and branded. If you're looking for a typical Oktoberfest, you will not enjoy this. If you're looking for something that reminds you of pumpkins, red leaves, and cool nights full of stars in the sky... You got it.

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Don't get too attached to her because she is only in limitted release.

Amongst all the Octoberfests this season Atom Smasher stands out. The brothers two did not take the Munster route with this Marzen, instead they brew a smooth and savory O'fest.

This is a deep brown hazy beverage with a thin layer of white head. What stands out here is the carmel apple tone with this mouthfeel. AS is aged in the Brothers oak foudres. Imagine a traditional Oktoberfest soaked in oak that adds a pronounced mellowness to the Marzen character. Its smooth, has a definate hop finish, but the oak comes through in a sweet and apple finish. It bears some similarity to Long Haul, yet is bolder and more flavorfull. With an alcohal content of 7.7% you'd never know. According to German purity laws, this isn't normal either but its darn good.

Delicious, I'll have another!

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Orange with brownish amber hues. Minimal head and what is there dies down fast. Moderately carbonated. A little cloudier than I'd like.

S: Oh so malty. A hint of nut. Lots of breadiness. Some slight sulfur. Herbal, tea-like hop aromas.

T: Wow. I was in the mood for a malty beer and I got one. I've been drinking a ton of dopplebocks lately. This isn't quite as malty as those, but damn close. Lovely Munich malt flavors. Some melanoidins. Not in the bock range, but they are there. Some caramel richness too. All of this maltiness is rounded out by a nice breadiness and even some toast. The hops provide a reasonable amount of bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. Doesn't finish as light on the palate as a true Oktoberfest, but this appears to be a more "Imperial" version. Maybe a little too sweet still.

D: I was pretty damn happy this beer. I've been in the mood for malty and this really delivered. Some of its minor defects were that it was a little sweet on the finish and it didn't look polished. Otherwise this was rock solid and I'd drink it again.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle pored into a tall stemmed glass. I have have been drinking quite a few Oktoberfest/Marzens so let's see how a stronger, oaked version fares.

A - Cloudy, dark orange. Decent head that disappears rather quickly.

S - Some oak. Malty. Similar smell to other Oktoberfest beers, but a little more pronounced.

T - Thick and chewy malt bomb. Sweet, caramel, syrupy. Hides the 7.7 % alcohol fairly well. I like strong tastes and this is strong tasting but otherwise true to style.

M- Thick and syrupy. Sticks to the lips. Probably the biggest drawback to this beer.

D - This is a very nice beer but is a one and done in a sitting. The syrup-i-ness would override the good flavor. I would come back another day, however.

A very good Oktoberfest beer.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

9-2013: Bottles are fresh and taste as they should, happy to report infection-free.

2012: Revisited Atom Smasher on tap, and it was as good as it was 2 years ago. Crisp and clean with some nutty malt and mild dry oak character. The infection last year seemed to be isolated to a few bottled batches.

2011:
2.25/5 rDev -36.6%

BBD: 12/24/11 & 12/25/11 = both infected.

Tried 3 bottles so far, the first was great and seemed to have even more oak character than last year. A few weeks later, (today) I try two separate bottles that were both infected, and sour as spoiled orange juice. Each bottle had a different BBD: 12/24/11, 12/25/11, and different strings of numbers on the bottom of the bottle. Going to avoid buying any more of the new 12 oz. bottles this year... buyer beware, as these two batches were infected.

09-04-2010 A-/4.05

Bomber from Before You Go, $6.99.

Coppery red orange, hazy in the light. Short cap of foam, it doesn't last all that long, but is rekindled by a second pour.

The bottle has a grainy, sweet malt aroma, but it's hard to pull out much more until it warms. Sweet sticky caramel comes out later, with a slight hint of alcohol otherwise undetected in the flavor.

Oak is well integrated, there's a caramel apple flavor that's big, with a very mild bitterness in the dry, woody aftertaste. A light toasty malt sweetness comes through also, along with a general breadiness. Easy and light carbonation, still a traditional Oktoberfest in my mind, with a unique twist. The oak character is noticeable, but doesn't dominate. Enjoyed trying this, and I hope to see more oak-aged beers from 2 Bros. in the future.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance -- Pours a burnt orange with amber highlights, crystal clear, with a thin layer of creamy beige head that dissipates almost immediately.

Smell -- Bready amber malt dominate the nose along with plum, spring flowers, earthy hops, and mild oak.

Tate -- Toasted malt, plum, green grapes, grassy and floal hops, a little bit of vanilla and oaky tannin from the foundres. Finish is mild earthy hop bitterness, ripe plum, and golden toast.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with mild carbonation. Pretty smooth. Could use a hair more carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer drinks great. Nice to see Two Brothers put a lager in the foundres. My only quip would be the carbonation. Even with that, it's a solid Oktoberfest.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured 12oz bottle ( best by 1/20/14) into a tulip glass.

Color is a great looking brownish-orange . head was rather light and settled quickly.

Aroma - getting some caramel malt aroma as well as some oak

Taste - caramel, oak, bread, nutty

Mouthfeel - medium carbonation, a bit dry, but a crisp finish

Overall -A nice version of a marzen, I think the oak adds a nice touch. This is very drinkable for almost 8%. I bought this in a mix-a-six but I'm definitely thinking about picking up a full 6 pack before it's out of season.

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

2012 vintage - bottle pour in to belgian tulip glass.

Pour is medium amber - light head, decent lacing. Nose is sweet, a hint of sour, limited.

Carmel malt entry. Medium mouthfeel. A bit of oak. Tastes more like an ale than lager - has a sweetness that suggests ale yeast. Full flavors that suggest marzen, but the oak conditioning gives a unique spin. Nice beer. Different than an Octoberfest - but dances with the style. Flavorful, satisfying, unique....I like it.

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Bottle says best by 12/1/12.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper amber orange with a lot of rising bubbles. Solid three fingers of off white head with good retention. Lacing is fairly light.

Smell: Bready and malt forward with hints of the barrel. Sweet toasted malts with hints of caramel, biscuit, toffee, and crackers. Hints of oak come through with a little bit of cherry and apple. Also some light cinnamon and nutmeg spice hints. Some grassy, earthy hops round out the smell. Solid aroma.

Taste: Like the nose hints, a malty Marzen with a interesting twist from the barrel. Sweet and toasty malts with good notes of biscuit, caramel, toffee, yeast, cracker, and apple. Some oak and wood with subtle notes of cherry and vanilla. Light taste of spice including cinnamon and nutmeg. Light hop presence in the background with some earthy hops. A solid and interesting taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and pretty smooth. Fairly sweet to start, with a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: A pretty decent spin on the style. Nice caramel malt taste with a interesting mix of oak and spice.

Not sure if this counts as an Oktoberfest beer cause if it does it definitely doesn't taste like a traditional Oktoberfest beer to me. But, I love brewers that experiment and make a beer that is their own. Use a style as a base and make a good beer off of that foundation. This has a much more fruity taste and smell to it then any other representation of the style I've had. But it's pleasant and easy to drink. I recommend it if you like different beer and aren't just going for that traditional taste of the style.

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Atom Smasher
“Best By” date of 1/13/2015 printed on label
Date reviewed: September 8th, 2014
12 fluid ounce bottle
Glass of Choice: Nonic Pint

Bottle Notes: “Oktoberfest Style Lager. Aged in French Oak Foudres”

Eyes:
Translucent copper/amber body. Off-white head, about an inch thick collapsed and left a respectable amount of lacing.

Nose:
Herbal hops. Toast. Sweet bread.

Tongue:
Rich presence of malts: Dark fruits, biscuit, and sweet rolls. The hops snuck in and enhanced the fruity flavors, finishing with a short-lived, yet strong hit of citric hops. Very subtle signs of oak from the aging. Does not fall short on flavor. Minor woody/earthy notes from the oak, nothing spectacular. Medium-full body. Moderate/low carbonation.

Overall: While the aging concept makes this Oktoberfest sound appealing, overall it fell shy of expectations.

80 (B-)

This one pours a muddy, dirty pumpkin with the cloudiness of a Belgian. It has a great deal of sediment. It smells sweet, funky, and has some good spice to it. It tastes really good. It's very fruit and has some interesting spice to it. It almost has some spicy orange to it. It's not a typical Oktoberfest that's for sure. It drinks very smoothly and has a good, soft mouthfeel. This beer is very tasty and drinks well. I'm really liking it.

Atom Smasher from Two Brothers Brewing Company