Atom Smasher - Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  7.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: yeahnatenelson on 09-03-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Timmah11

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

22 oz. bottle pored into a tall stemmed glass. I have have been drinking quite a few Oktoberfest/Marzens so let's see how a stronger, oaked version fares.

A - Cloudy, dark orange. Decent head that disappears rather quickly.

S - Some oak. Malty. Similar smell to other Oktoberfest beers, but a little more pronounced.

T - Thick and chewy malt bomb. Sweet, caramel, syrupy. Hides the 7.7 % alcohol fairly well. I like strong tastes and this is strong tasting but otherwise true to style.

M- Thick and syrupy. Sticks to the lips. Probably the biggest drawback to this beer.

D - This is a very nice beer but is a one and done in a sitting. The syrup-i-ness would override the good flavor. I would come back another day, however.

A very good Oktoberfest beer.

10-18-2010 00:19:37 | More by Timmah11
bonkers

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to florida9 for this. It pours a deep copper with a slight white head. Lots of oak on the nose, some sweetness. The flavor is heavy on oak, some grassiness, some sweetness, some toffee. It is fuller than most marzens, very sticky mouthfeel, decent carbonation. I really liked this one. The oak did wonders for it,almost wish I did not split it with a friend.

10-16-2010 00:33:01 | More by bonkers
samie85

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

A-Pours a caramelly orange red color with a one finger light tan head.

S-Oak and some light toasted malt notes and herbal hops.

T-Rich Munich malt with some light toasted notes, some oak, and a light, bitter finish.

M-Rich and dry with slight thin feeling form the oak and surprisingly low carbonation.

D-Easy drinking for an "imperial marzen" but the low carbonation makes this one a little tougher to finish.

10-14-2010 02:55:57 | More by samie85
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orangish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is fairly one-dimensional and is dominated by toffee from the malt. The flavor is toffee and grassy/earthy hops with a tad bit of smoke mixed in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

10-12-2010 22:40:03 | More by Mora2000
bluejacket74

3.58/5  rDev -4%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a mug, the beer pours a hazy dark orange/amber with about a 1/4 inch off-white head that went away quickly. There's pretty much no lacing at all left on the glass. Aroma is caramel and bready malt, nuts, oak and a bit of tart apples. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. It's a mostly malty brew, with the caramel and bready malt flavors being the strongest, and with some oak, tart apple, nutty and earthy flavors noticable. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit syrupy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and enjoyable. I think it's a decent enough brew, but it's not something I would buy very often.

10-09-2010 21:19:43 | More by bluejacket74
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

Appears a slightly clouded deep caramel amber with a big billowing cream colored head. Fine speckled lacing scattered in my liter Paulaner krug. Aroma has some nutty caramel sweetness, tart cider like notes in the background. Alot of bread dough malt driven tones without much herbal hops to balance things out. Flavor super sweet almost sugary, lacks the balance that a nice toasted bread malty herbal hopped Ofest has I get it this isn't a straight up marzen this is a boozed up maltier version. Of all the Two Brothers beers I've tasted this is my least favorite. Mouthfeel becomes cloying especially once you're half way done, not my style of beer. I've had imperial Ofests that worked with higher alcohol the unbalanced malt/hop ratio is killing me. Carbonation is a bit much almost too heavy tickles the back of my throat and nares. Drinkability overall is really limited I wouldn't even suggest a bomber, I've been there and done that no need to revisit.

10-08-2010 02:51:07 | More by WVbeergeek
Vonerichs

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Rusty orange transparent color with almost no head. It has a flat appearance.

Good scent to this. Grassy and spicy hops with a nice touch of vanilla. I thought I also picked up white grapes for a second.

It's not a complex brew, but does have good flavor. Mostly caraml malts with vanilla. The hops are not as flavorful as in the aroma, but do add a light spicy feel.

Mouthfeel is a little flat and thin.

This drinks pretty light and alchohol was not detectable. A good fall beer, but nothing out of the ordinary.

10-04-2010 00:39:29 | More by Vonerichs
klshanks

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance- Nice orangish brown hue. Not much head, but then again, I poured this one into a gigantic 1/2 gallon margarita type glass, so there isn't much chance for head. I won't dock it for that.

Smell- A Yeasty, bready, malty aroma. Not too powerful, but not overly strong.

Taste- Nice sweet caramel notes with a hint of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel- A little bit syrupy. On the thicker side of your average oktoberfest.

Drinkability- Good, not great. I don't think I would drink several of these while hanging out in my leiderhosen, but at the same time I would have another one.

10-04-2010 00:05:37 | More by klshanks
brewdoc75

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Orange with brownish amber hues. Minimal head and what is there dies down fast. Moderately carbonated. A little cloudier than I'd like.

S: Oh so malty. A hint of nut. Lots of breadiness. Some slight sulfur. Herbal, tea-like hop aromas.

T: Wow. I was in the mood for a malty beer and I got one. I've been drinking a ton of dopplebocks lately. This isn't quite as malty as those, but damn close. Lovely Munich malt flavors. Some melanoidins. Not in the bock range, but they are there. Some caramel richness too. All of this maltiness is rounded out by a nice breadiness and even some toast. The hops provide a reasonable amount of bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. Doesn't finish as light on the palate as a true Oktoberfest, but this appears to be a more "Imperial" version. Maybe a little too sweet still.

D: I was pretty damn happy this beer. I've been in the mood for malty and this really delivered. Some of its minor defects were that it was a little sweet on the finish and it didn't look polished. Otherwise this was rock solid and I'd drink it again.

10-03-2010 20:48:28 | More by brewdoc75
Bierguy5

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

22 oz bottle 7.7% abv. Pours a clear amber. Thin white head fades to a thin layer rather quickly. No lace.

Toasty malt, with a little caramel. Maybe slightly bready. Some very faint oaky and earthy notes.

Caramel up front. Toasty malt. A bit of sweetness lingers. Some earthy notes, but not much oak. A bit syrupy.

Medium body, decent carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden. The oak does not show very much. Somewhat disappointing.

10-02-2010 19:57:15 | More by Bierguy5
Buebie

2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

Picked up this bomber for roughly $6

Off a semi rigorous pour I get about an inch of white head. Amber in color with some haze. Head retention is good, leaving a solid cap. Lace is sticky, trails and rings.
Rye in aroma, bready yeast funk, a good amount of malt sweetness. Although aroma seems a bit muted.

Taste is syrup sweet, big turn off for me, plus it really hurts drinkability and also is overwhelming. Some more bready funk, almost barn like, you no the type. Some strange off flavors. Then rye at the finish as well as boozy heat, with still a blasting of syrup and candied apples.
Mouthfeel is slick and full bodied.

The one and probably only good thing about this beer is rye in flavor and aroma.

Sweetness overload!

09-29-2010 02:33:12 | More by Buebie
homebrew311

2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Served in pint glass at Sheffields.

A: appears a deep orange, slightly cloudy, zero head or lacing, appears to be somewhat thick/syrupy

S: the aroma doesn't feature much other than a sweet malty profile with some notes of caramel and candied fruits, no hop character to speak of, very mild

T: the front is very sweet, like the nose- candied fruits come through along with caramel and other malty notes, the beer finishes boozy. Overall, this beer lacks balance and doesn't resemble what I think of as an Oktoberfest. A bit of a disappointment.

MF: thick body, low to medium carbonation, slightly syrupy texture.

D: this is not my idea of a drinkable brew. The sweetness is nearly cloying and it doesn't feature what an Oktoberfest should be. The oak aging of this beer is virtually undetectable...I'm starting to question Two Bros use of the oak foudres. In theory, it sounds like a solid idea, but at the end of the day, it doesn't translate to a better beer.

09-27-2010 01:25:48 | More by homebrew311
jwinship83

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

a new beer from my local brewery thats released in season and has a new twist (oak aging) on a classic style combined with a dollar off per bottle sale? sign me up! drank from a standard american pint glass.

A- this one pours out a darkish golden copper colored body with a very small cream colored head on top. the head is quick to fall and leaves behind very small spots of lacing.

S- sweet caramel malts and toasted bread are the first things that i notice. after that comes a tiny bit of vanilla/oak. very subtle. theres some grassy/earthy hops at the end.

T- the taste starts out once again with toasted bread and sweet caramel malts. the oak aging still comes across as very subtle. a little bit of the grassy and earthy hops i could smell combined with some light herbal notes finish this one off.

M- medium bodied with a nice and somewhat low level of carbonation.

D- i wish that two brothers new oak foudres would impart a little more flavor on their beers. this is something i could probably have another of this fall, but i cant see myself drinking it too often.

09-26-2010 14:19:42 | More by jwinship83
Florida9

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Deep copper in color. Clear. Forms a good 1/2" of thick, off-white head on an aggressive pour that quickly reduces down to about a 1/4" and eventually just fades away. Very little lacing.

S: Caramel malts. Toast. Citrus. Some earthy noble hops.

T: Sweet caramel malt with a light bit of oak and even just a hint of vanilla. Roasted malt. And while this certainly a malt-centered beer, the malt is on the lighter side. Flavors are light and subtle. Simple and sweet on the finish

M: On the lighter side of medium. Soft. Lighter carbonation.

D: A decent Oktoberfest with the oak aging giving it a little character. Lighter body lends to easy drinking. Enjoyable, but not something I will necessary seek out again.

09-24-2010 02:00:09 | More by Florida9
jampics2

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass. Not sure what kind of glassware for an imperial Marzen and I didn't want to have to hand wash a giant mug, so I went with a pint. It seems to have worked out OK :)

Looks great on this slightly chilly September day. The pint glass seems to have captured the impending colors of Autumn - the rusty brown looks like falling leaves with touches of firey orange and rouge. The head does stick around but is neither dense nor rocky, probably due to the higher ABV. The beer is clear not cloudy, perhaps filtered and has active carbonation. A good start.

While pouring, I could already tell this was going to be an expressive beer. Nice toasted malt was evident across the room and, now, while raising the glass to my nose, I encounter an ample amount of toasted bread, caramel, and some ripe red apple. There's a nice depth but not a ton of oak, just a touch of extra earthy, spicy, fruity scents. A touch of spice and noble hop finishes a nice boquet.

There is a nice range of flavors in this beer. The palate starts out with some sweet caramel malt and mild toast. Some apple flavors and maybe even light cinnamon make an appearance, and, when coupled with the sweet malt and Germanic hops, adds a nice depth of flavor that normal O-fests don't approach. Oak doesn't add traditional notes of woodiness or vanilla, but makes this a touch more spicy and is probably responsible for the apple flavors. Pretty good and interesting, but just falls short of exceptional.

Mouthfeel is sticky and the carbonation is way too low. I'm not happy about this aspect, as I think better carb would have brought some pep into what is coming off as a dead beer. Distracting and certainly under the necessary feel of Octoberfest beers. While this was a unique angle and started off with some nice added depth, I feel this beer fell short. It's drinkable but too flat and sticky to be enjoyable. Please carb this next year, get those carbon and oxygen atoms to smash and make bubbles. Probably worth a try for the die hard Marzen fan, but not worth another try for me.

09-17-2010 19:05:03 | More by jampics2
innersanctum

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Don't get too attached to her because she is only in limitted release.

Amongst all the Octoberfests this season Atom Smasher stands out. The brothers two did not take the Munster route with this Marzen, instead they brew a smooth and savory O'fest.

This is a deep brown hazy beverage with a thin layer of white head. What stands out here is the carmel apple tone with this mouthfeel. AS is aged in the Brothers oak foudres. Imagine a traditional Oktoberfest soaked in oak that adds a pronounced mellowness to the Marzen character. Its smooth, has a definate hop finish, but the oak comes through in a sweet and apple finish. It bears some similarity to Long Haul, yet is bolder and more flavorfull. With an alcohal content of 7.7% you'd never know. According to German purity laws, this isn't normal either but its darn good.

Delicious, I'll have another!

09-14-2010 22:28:05 | More by innersanctum
Khazadum

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

After a rough day, grueling test, and unusual friendships I came home to chores. What better way to unwind after those than an oktoberfest beer in 80 degree weather. Either way, this bomber was an impulse buy while shopping at my favorite Binny's. Saved for about a week and poured into a snifter to review live for my pleasure.

Vision
Interesting beer for me. This is quite unusual to view. There is this honey-wheat bubble mass that died faster than a youtube celebrities career. All that remained was this biofilm in the center with a jersey popped collar.

The body itself is blood orange red with ruby-light edges. The carbonation, which I can only assume is minimal on inspection, is hidden in the murk.

The entire collection is rather unique in how it presents itself as a package deal. It actually makes me smile.

Bouquet
Not only did it pull a single, but it stole second base here. The flavors confuse me at first. Barley, apples, and more! How can this be an oktoberfest? My experience must have been in lies.

The initial notes are bitingly sweet. It is the love bite of kittens on my nostrils. At first annoying, but when I understand it I appreciate it exponentially more. This is the apples definitely coming out with citrus notes, styled in the orange variety.

The second half is faintly malty, caramel perhaps, with a slap on my backside of funk. I had to weasel it apart, tweeze its fibers from the hidden core.

Flavor Profile
If it stole second, perhaps this initial sip can roll it around to third base... and it definitely did! It is almost within scoring, but that will have to wait.

The first flavors are caramel apples. It isn't the biting sweetness of a delicious red, but the smooth combination of an apple slice slathered in that brown sugary dip. As I swirl this flavorful liquid around my month I detect the slightness of hops. It is gone as soon as I swallow and am left with an unusual finish.

Here again the apples come through, but they have been touched by the oak aging. It is as if I took the bitter apple skin taste that is oddly sweet and turned it up a notch on the wood scale. I definitely enjoy this, but oak aging isn't for everyone. Truly different.

Oral Sensations
Unfortuantely, this beer does not make it all the way to home base. The opposing team struck this batter out. Sure, he did well going 3-2, but he didn't connect when he needed to. Popped out.

The beer borders that full margin but falls just short into still watery territory. Not only that, but there is a level of carbonation missing that I require from a beer like this. Sure, it is not the best in these respects, but that doesn't mean it is bad.

In the end, it is easily drinkable and goes down well enough. Tad bit watery, tad bit under-carbonated, but still tasty.

Conclusions
This beer pulled a triple. Sure, it could have been a home run, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. I'd definitely share this with a buddy when out at a bar or just watching the game. It is a solid addition to any line-up to counter-act something weaker in the alcohol... Speaking of that.

The 7% never really comes out in any negative way. It is well done for being one of the highest percents. I think I might just go purchase one, 7$ is cheap!, and surprise my buddy this weekend with it.

09-13-2010 21:01:56 | More by Khazadum
waldoiverson

bomber into imperial pint

A: rather thick looking body, slightly unfiltered looking, color of dark apple cider, somewhat soapy head

S: bright funky smelling apple and mint

T: heavy lightly toasted malt, graham, a bit of bitterness from the hops but mostly sweet

M: needs more carbonation as the sweetness and the body need to be cleaned off the palatte

d: one is enough, fix the carbonation and this opinion might change

09-11-2010 21:14:34 | More by waldoiverson
Vdubb86

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Served in a "Deutschland" mug

Got this bottle on a whim from my local Binny's. It pours a clear dark orange with a thin quickly receding white head. The smell is very nice. Aside from the malt which there is strong smell of there is the smell of orange zest, pepper and what I believe to be an almost woodsy mesquite aroma. The taste is pretty damn good too. As far as I'm concerned it's the best Oktoberfest I've had this season. Now I say that with the caveat that my preference is to the sweeter more American Oktoberfests. Having said that the flavor is sweet malts on the front with hints of smokiness. The aftertaste isn't much with the distinct bittering and hints of cinnamon. It is smooth and highly drinkable. A definite recommendation if you have the opportunity.

09-11-2010 15:55:18 | More by Vdubb86
TMoney2591

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

"Turn out your pockets. I see atoms!" Good times with old Father Burns. This brew pours a slightly hazed dark amber topped by a finger or so of cream-coloured foam. The nose comprises orange zest, mandarin orange syrup (yes, just the syrup), rye bread, hot cinnamon (Dentyne-style, Homes), and a touch o' white flowers it may be the acid, but I can taste the colours...). The taste is pretty similar, with the citrus and sweet bready malts double-teaming my 'buds quite nicely. The body is a light medium, with a light carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a very nice O-Fest, one of the better I've had thus far this season.

09-11-2010 04:28:14 | More by TMoney2591
JamnesCameron

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Bomber poured into a Willis glass.

Pours a deep amber/copper, with an off white head that does not last. appears to be low carbonation and perhaps the oak from the foudres. Marks off for the head retention. Spot on for the color.

Smell of toffee, caramel, and cherry stone? The latter must be from the foudres.

First sip is deep and malty, to be expected from an O-fest, but that cherry stone aroma/flavor lingers. Something in the background, not a true sourness, but just a hint, adds complexity to the flavors. Enough hop bitterness to tip the balance towards the malt.

Mouthfeel is full and sticky. Too much malt, even for an O-fest.

Drinkability is overall good, but, for an O-fest is low, because at 7.7% abv, you are not going to session this beer. At least not without falling over.

An interesting interpretation, if not near style. Overall a good beer, just don't expect to drink a few liters and be able to find your way home....without considerable help.

09-07-2010 02:57:20 | More by JamnesCameron
jsh420

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

pours hazy orangish copper with almost no head

smells of sweet carmel and some earthy grassy hops

taste - bready candy carmel malts some sour fruit(apple) flavors

mouthfeel is medium/heavy with very little carbonation almost flat

drinkability is so so - i split the bomber and that was plenty for me this fall - sour flavors and no carbonation - the search continues for a great oktoberfest

09-06-2010 01:23:37 | More by jsh420
yeahnatenelson

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance -- Pours a burnt orange with amber highlights, crystal clear, with a thin layer of creamy beige head that dissipates almost immediately.

Smell -- Bready amber malt dominate the nose along with plum, spring flowers, earthy hops, and mild oak.

Tate -- Toasted malt, plum, green grapes, grassy and floal hops, a little bit of vanilla and oaky tannin from the foundres. Finish is mild earthy hop bitterness, ripe plum, and golden toast.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with mild carbonation. Pretty smooth. Could use a hair more carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer drinks great. Nice to see Two Brothers put a lager in the foundres. My only quip would be the carbonation. Even with that, it's a solid Oktoberfest.

09-03-2010 00:33:46 | More by yeahnatenelson