2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Reprieve - Two Brothers Brewing Company

ReprieveReprieve

good

Two Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.50% ABV

This black beer is a Bohemian Pilsner gone dark. German malts, noble hops, and lager yeast combine for our take on this traditional beer style. 28.1 IBU

(Beer added by: MillRat on 04-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 46 | Reviews: 30 | Show All Ratings:
betsona

Idaho

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to GDBEERMAN for this bomber that was shared at a tasting. Thanks again.

A- Pours a nice dark black but without the thickness of a stout. It lives up to its' billing as a "dark pilsner" even with a bubbly tannish head. Decent retention. No lacing on the glass.

S- Very mild smelling beer. I got some hops but not much going on with it. Mainly the characteristic Salz hops and their distinctive smell. Ever so slight roasted malt smell.

T- Tasted like a Pilsner. Was rather bland but still enjoyable. I can't place my finger on anything distinct about it. Some hop character but it was neither hoppy nor bitter. Dead on with the nose.

M- Medium body with good carbonation. No lingering off flavors and an extremely easy pleasant drink.

O- I am glad I had the chance to try this beer. It was good, but if the body was a little thinner I would have enjoyed it a lot more. It is probably better classified as an American Pilsner because it lacks all the rich characteristics of a Schwarzbier.

05-23-2011 16:48:47 | More by betsona
philosobeer

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A schwarzbier from my own state? Happy to see it on principle. Had at Binny's south Loop.

A // Lives up to that Schwarz (black) in the style name. Nice and very dark with good clarity and a bubbly lager sort of head which is off-white to light tan.

S // I smell hops a lot more than I should in this. Low hop aroma is a great kick, but the hops in this smell a bit too pronounced, and possibly the wrong sort. But it does have both a nice roastiness and a nice sweetness in there.

T // There's some sweetness in here, fairly caramel by nature, and the experience is augmented by a roasted character. Again the hops are a little much, and I think this beer would be better with less, but on the palate I taste it less than I'd smelled it. The roast and toasted tastes both do a lot for this beer, and its (fairly) clean finish.

M // This is where it loses me. This is heavier than I want a black lager, and it doesn't feel nearly as clean and light as I would like. By the end of the glass, it feels medium-heavy. Which loses some drinkability.

I enjoyed my glass, but next to another Schwarz, specifically the German-made ones, it doesn't hold up all so well.

04-09-2011 03:48:11 | More by philosobeer
redjameskidd

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The last guy's review is pretty much spot-on, concerning the overall flavor and mildness.

Just not a terrible lot going on here, lacks the crispness and hops of a Czech or German pils. Actually comes off tasting much more like a really dry Northern English nutbrown ale, or maybe a mild.

That isn't necessarily bad, as I would quaff this beer readily, but it's not quite what I was looking for from a schwarz.

05-14-2011 13:39:42 | More by redjameskidd
tikibeer

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked up a bomber of this at my local liquor store yesterday.

Pours a dark black with a huge "root beer" style head. Great retention with thick globs of lacing on the sides of the glass. This beer has a very appealing look!

Aroma is mellow. Nothing super amazing going on here. Mostly malts.

Taste is a nice balance between malts and hops and finishes with a dry bitterness. This beer is simple, but good. This beer is rich and satisfying. The dry bitterness on the backend keeps me coming back for another sip.

Overall this is a good beer. Very enjoyable, but not anything that is over the top amazing...just a good beer!

04-18-2011 15:11:59 | More by tikibeer
haveaduff2

4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

A unique and worthy interpretation of a Schwarzbier style, which I love. Malty upfront, then delightfully dry with a crisp hop bitterness in the finish. There is a roasted coffee quality, but it's restrained and smoothed out...this is a lager, after all. Highly recommended.

04-13-2011 14:31:06 | More by haveaduff2