SideKick Extra Pale Ale - Two Brothers Brewing Company

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

From the CAN: "A Sidekick Is Always There For You."; "Buddy, pal, mate, brother (or sister) from another mother, compadre ... sidekick. All of these are ways to describe someone or something that is always at your side. Sidekick extra pale ale is one of those things. This golden colored ale is loaded with juicy citrus and passion fruit aroma yet balanced with malt and hop character. A true companion."

Man, not only did the Crack release some foam, but once it subsided, it was another brimful craft CAN! I went with an inverted Glug and was rewarded with two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. This might be an example of "element bright", in which you CAN see the element in a light bulb through the beer. Color was a beautiful sunshine-yellow. SRM = 5. Nose was redolent with pine hops and my mouth was drooling unCANtrollably. I think that I even smelled mandarin oranges, also. I swear that I did not transcribe the CAN before typing all of that. It was like drinking dumbed-down Sculpin and I am not sure how I feel about that. Great lacing throughout. Finish was dry and pleasant but I felt like it lacked a certain Oomph. I guess that its inclusion in my cooler would depend on a) Sculpin's availability and b) Sculpin's ABV and what I was planning to accomplish. A near-miss, but still a miss.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high thick off white head that has very good retention properties and left a short head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of passionfruit and orange citrus hops are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has notes of citrus and tropical fruits along with a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels a bit shy of being medium-bodied on the palate and is a little crisp with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and can be considered sessionable. I would definitely consider getting this again if I was looking for something that's light but has nice IPA-like aromas and flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If I recall my previous Two Brothers reviews correctly they ran hot and cold. This one is hot. As soon as you pour you can see and smell a high quality brew. The lace in my glass is amazing and a nice natural looking fizz just keeps coming.

The taste is wonderful. It's a perfect pale balance with the American emphasis on making all the aspects a little heavier than traditional pales. It's nice, and not necessarily on the American side of pales - it is not over the top.

The aftertaste is overriding the bbq chips I was munching nicely. Something is being a little disagreeable, but I think the ale is helping.

I wish I had a bunch more of these. I may have underrated it on taste - it's that good. I will definitely seek this out again and buy more. A GREAT canned brew.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%