Pale Ale - Ellicottville Brewing Co.

Pale AlePale Ale

good

Ellicottville Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2001)
2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

Picked up a bottle at Premier Gourmet in Tonawanda, NY.

A: Light and lively amber hue. Brilliant clarity. Patchy, thin off white head.

S: Big, very big, grapefruit hop aroma is dominant. Sweet malt aroma lingers in the background taking a backseat o the strong hop aromas.

T: Poorly balanced flavor entirely devoted to hops. Hop flavor is grapefruit. Lack of malt flavor leaves the beer tasting flat, overly bitter, and one dimensional.

MF: Thin watery mouthfeel. Well carbonated. Kind of soapy.

D: One dimensional American pale ale. Where's the malt support. I wouldn't drink this again.

Nipitato, May 15, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from the bottle into my COAST pint glass. Got this as an extra from dogfishandi. Thanks!

A - Yellow/orange body with a tiny layer of white head resting on top. Clear as day with a ton of bubbles running up the middle

S - A light floral hop flavor with a big malt backbone. A slight euro lager skunky flavor as well.

T - Balanced. Follows the nose to the tee. A slight floral hop flavor and a big pale malt body. I'm also picking up the fkunky flavor I picked up in the aroma but it doesn't really kill the beer.

M - medium to light bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. I'm not sure what is up with the slightly skunky flavor but it doesn't really ruin the beer. Overall a slightly below average Pale Ale. I'm glad I got to try this but I wouldn't really seek it out.

jpmclaug, Nov 16, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -21%

Pours an amber colour with a light head. The aroma was hopped up. Pine and citrus. The taste was much like the smell. It seemed way off balance. I expect a pale ale to have a fair balance between the hops and malts, but this one was lacking. Could use a little work.

CBFanWish, Mar 14, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle into pint glass (5/24/10)

Poured a clear amber with a very small off-white head that fell quickly. Nose was of malts and general fruit, with a very light hint of the hops. The drink had a bit carbon but that did not diminish from the taste. The drink was slightly sweet with the barely discernible undertone of a hop bitterness. Overall, it was refreshing, but nothing was here to make it really stand out to me.

crhensel, Jul 20, 2011

Eastside151, Aug 23, 2013

ariceclemson, Aug 01, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

This is one of those beers where it looks great, smells great, and has a nice thick head that laces beautifully. With that being said I didnt love it, I wanted too, I have had it in the past at a bar after many too many other beers and didnt think I should rate it then. I stopped in for dinner at the Beef and Barrell in Olean NY and ordered the Beef on Weck platter, which included potato salad and coleslaw. The hoppiness of the Pale Ale seemed good at first but then started turning everything I ate bitter. I love beer and I love food and I think I made a poor choice with the pairing. I will say though that when I added horseradish to my sandwich and then took a draw from my beer the citrus notes popped and cleared my pallet. I will try it again with another food sooner or later and do another review.

sniper061, Mar 16, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Thin layer of tightly packed head, medium gold in color with hint of ruby, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Pleasant citrus and bubblegum, pale malts and caramel, slight toastiness - 4.25, T: There is a muted sweetness as well as some grapefruit on the tongue, slightly on the dry side, unfortunately I also perceive a very slight metallic flavor on the beer that takes away from the beer - 3.00, M: Body is light to medium - 3.00, D: Besides for the slight metallic flavors, a decent beer all around - 3.00

deereless, Feb 07, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

I was much more impressed with their porter than this beer. It was a nice amber color without much carbonation and very little head. The smell had some nice hop smell, but also this fruity smell. As I tasted it I realized what fruit it was. Grapefruit! Not my favorite fruit and it didn't make the beer too much better. Too tart, but there was a nice hoppy aftertaste with the fuggles making themselves known. My friend tells me that this is going to start to be brewed and bottled off site by the first Ellicottville brewmaster. Maybe I will check it out again.

GreatPondBrewer, Jan 28, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours copper orange in color with a fluffy two fingered white head following an aggressive pour. Head is leaving behind some nice lacing. There's a slight haze in this beers appearance.

Smell is grainy and rather mild. Very little in the way of hops in the nose.

A slight bitterness up front, but it's short lived. The malts quickly drown out what little hop-flavor there was. Has a definite homebrew feel going on. The finish has a slight metallic flavor.

Rather thin mouthfeel with a low carbonation.

I could drink several if I had no better options available.

Morey's Bottom Line: I had this on-tap once before, and it was considerably better. I'm a bit disappointed here. It's Ok, but I wouldn't spend money on it again as there are SO MANY better options around.

Morey, Mar 04, 2011

timmy2b, Jan 19, 2014

T-34-85, Apr 28, 2014

BryanK, Aug 13, 2012

Rideguy64, Jul 29, 2014

schnell, Jul 16, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a lighter copper color with a rather light head,aroma is grassy and zesty definently of hops for sure,taste is a little over the top hop-wise for a standard pale very citruisy and piney with a light soapy finish.Well made and if I was hophead probably would have enjoyed more.

oberon, Oct 08, 2003
3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Had a few of these on my most recent Holiday Valley trip (and on previous occaisions). The most striking thing about this ale is the excellent - near perfect - appearance. It's just so pretty when you pour it in your glass (I had a pitcher the first time). Light brown and foamy, symetrical bubly head. Just right. It was a pity when later on the bartender poured some into a plastic cup.

For taste, mouthfeel and the rest I echo previous comments, not the greatest. The food at the Hearth was tasty enough to overcome this (better beer with too much and unbalanced tastes than no taste!).

schoolboy, Jan 26, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

This pale ale pours out very clear and copper in color. It has a small white head and has little visible carbonation.
The aroma is of citrus and piney hops.
The flavor is a bit less hopy than the nose implies, but still remains dominated by the citrus and piney hops. There is also a slight sweetness hidden in there just befor the piney finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body and is a bit light on the carbonation.

Overall, this is a good beer, though it seems a little over hoped for a regular pale ale.
Not to say that you can really have too much hops.

Naes, Jul 27, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Light amber with a one finger tiny-bubbled head. Lacing is very thin and trails throughout. The aroma is by far the most satisfying part of this beer: flowery hops, grapefruit, apple cider, honey-sweet malt. I wish I could say that the taste is as satisfying. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with it; it is a decent balance of citrusy hops and sweet malt, but it doesn’t live up to the aroma. The mouthfeel is a little too watery to be satiny and so it’s kind of flat on the taste buds despite the medium carbonation. It is satisfying and drinkable despite its lack of complexity from a taste standpoint. This was the first Ellicottville that I’ve tried, and although I wasn’t wowed, I’m making a mental note to pick up a sixer of another one of their beers. Not bad.

for more beer reviews, music, books and more visit my website at selfhatinghipster.com

dudelove7485, Nov 09, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Poured a bright pumpkin orange with a patchy off white head that quickly dissipated rather quickly without leaving much of an impression or lacing. Visible carbonation was very faint with perhaps only a dozen or so micro bubbles lazily rising at any given moment.

S: bright with fresh oranges and a light lemon floral hopping. More sweet and citrusy then bitter, overall the strength was average as well the rating.

T: The flavor surprised me, opening up with a edginess of pale orange skins and a fresh lemon flower hopping. Slightly bitter overall with a good lingering fade of lemon grass could be found on the finish and fade. Overall had a nice level of bitterness though it lacked complexity.

M: softly carbonated, light bodied with a slick and very smooth texture. The lack of carbonation hurts the crispness here.

D: Overall drinkability was decent, though nothing to write home about. The lack of carbonation does make this go down easy. The hoppiness saves this somewhat but overall is still a mindless downer and one that can be quickly overlooked in a crowded and competitive field.

beerthulhu, Jul 09, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured an amber,gold color with a nice white head.

Aroma dominated with hops and a slight citrus.

Taste matched the aroma, citrus came out more at room temperature.

Light body with moderate carbonation.

Pale ales are not my favorite style beer, it is drinkable but slightly above average in my book.

dtivp, May 14, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle courtesy of BuckeyeNation

Poured cold very gingerly into a pint glass and got more than half a glass of foam atop a slightly cloudy amber liquid. Gusher is an understatement.

After allowing the beer to slightly warm, and the foamy head to start to die down (which it never did completely) i could smell nice crisp clean citrus hop nose.

Initial taste i get a well balanced malt to hop profile, maybe just a small lean toward the citrus/grapefruit/floral hop side, but not much. Midpalate there is a slight bitterness that i cannot attribute to the hops, more like an aspirin bitterness, perhaps from the carbonation issues. It also has an ever-so-slight metallic aftertaste that is again likely related to overcarbonation. The taste though, overall, is not unpleasant and still okay by me.

Overcarbonated but still reasonable body and weight to this. the carbonation did not make it too watery feeling.

I could drink a few more of these, and if the carbonation problem was fixed this would make a very fine session beer.

tayner, May 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Nice drinking pale ale. Bright citrus on the aroma and the taste. The aroma also displays an interesting toasted maltiness.

The body is light side of medium...carbonation is a little prickly....plenty of citrus bitterness for an APA...not as much toasted maltiness on the flavor.

Solid, but not special. I'd drink it any day but could also live without ever having it again. APA's are kind of like that with me. Only a few make big-time impressions on me and this isn't one...but it is solid..

ZAP, Apr 24, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Cynic-ale, Jul 30, 2013
Pale Ale from Ellicottville Brewing Co.