Pale Ale - Ellicottville Brewing Co.

Pale AlePale Ale

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Color is a nice golden yellow with a mild orange hue and excellent head and lacing. Swell fairly sweet with a good level of hoppy bitterness, pale malts, and malt sweetness. I expected just another pale but was surprised with the citrus hops and sweet malts of this beer. Maybe it was the two nugget nectars I had but it in no way got too bitter. Mouthfeel was good giving me a light to medium bodied drinking experience. Overall I enjoy most beers by these guys but have no access to them since they distribute to NY, but may consider getting another bottle if I get another offer from Halftime beverage.com

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

This is one of those beers where it looks great, smells great, and has a nice thick head that laces beautifully. With that being said I didnt love it, I wanted too, I have had it in the past at a bar after many too many other beers and didnt think I should rate it then. I stopped in for dinner at the Beef and Barrell in Olean NY and ordered the Beef on Weck platter, which included potato salad and coleslaw. The hoppiness of the Pale Ale seemed good at first but then started turning everything I ate bitter. I love beer and I love food and I think I made a poor choice with the pairing. I will say though that when I added horseradish to my sandwich and then took a draw from my beer the citrus notes popped and cleared my pallet. I will try it again with another food sooner or later and do another review.

3.34/5  rDev -9.7%

Light amber with a one finger tiny-bubbled head. Lacing is very thin and trails throughout. The aroma is by far the most satisfying part of this beer: flowery hops, grapefruit, apple cider, honey-sweet malt. I wish I could say that the taste is as satisfying. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with it; it is a decent balance of citrusy hops and sweet malt, but it doesn’t live up to the aroma. The mouthfeel is a little too watery to be satiny and so it’s kind of flat on the taste buds despite the medium carbonation. It is satisfying and drinkable despite its lack of complexity from a taste standpoint. This was the first Ellicottville that I’ve tried, and although I wasn’t wowed, I’m making a mental note to pick up a sixer of another one of their beers. Not bad.

for more beer reviews, music, books and more visit my website at selfhatinghipster.com

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a light amber, clear liquid with very little carbonation, but a nice white head that has an okay retention.
Smell is very nice for a pale ale, almost smelling stronger than a pale ale, more like an IPA. Strong citrus smell consisting of a good orange smell.
Taste is a very nice pale ale. Very well-balanced between a very nice orangey hop taste and a slight caramel malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel has a nice thicker mouthful than I am used to in a pale ale. Good, full sip than goes down easy.
Drinkability is great on this pale ale. Ellicotville does a great job on this pale ale. It has a lot of balance along with some very nice taste and goes down so quickly and smoothly that it could really get me into trouble. Great pale ale for any season.

Pale Ale from Ellicottville Brewing Co.