Twain's Second Suit Pale Ale - Twain's Billiards and Tap

Beer added by: glid02 on 01-06-2009

to view more.
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
3.45/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear, copper-hued body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Grainy pale maltiness, though light, and an earthy hop scent sporting a dull citrus note of dehydrated citrus rinds.

Taste: Pale malts, lightly grainy, and having no more than a light sweetness. This allows for the earthy, citrusy hops to deliver a solid medium bitterness and make up the bulk of the overall flavor. Finishes dry with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A simple, easily drinkable, hop-forward pale ale. Paired just fine with the Garlic Fries.

3.28/5  rDev n/a

I was told this was akin to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale by my waitress. Well it looks like SNPA, but the similarities end there.

Pours a clear dark copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head dissipates into a patchy layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass. Lacing is decent.

Smells of caramel malt and light citrus hops. None of the smells particularly stick out, and the hops play second fiddle to the caramel malt.

Tastes alright. Huge amounts of buttery diacetyl give way to very faint citrus hop flavors. The ending has a good bitterness. I was hoping for a crisper finish, but the diacetyl overpowers throughout.

Mouthfeel is good. It's slick with a good thickness and the carbonation is what I expected. Again, I wish it'd been a bit crisper.

Drinkability is alright. This just didn't do it for me, too much diacetyl and not enough hop presence. I finished 12 oz. of this, but I wouldn't be terribly excited if I'd ordered 20 oz.

Overall I think this could also be classified as an English Pale Ale, just because it's got such a large amount of diacetyl in the flavor profile, but it certainly doesn't taste like classic EPA's. This is an interesting beer that I would compare to Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve. I wasn't a fan of that one either, but depending on your tastes you may enjoy this.

to view more.
Twain's Second Suit Pale Ale from Twain's Billiards and Tap
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.