Tröegs Master Of Pumpkins - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with native Pennsylvania neck pumpkins harvested just a few miles from our brewery at Strites’ Orchard, Master of Pumpkins conjures the spirit of autumn by combining roasted pumpkins and traditional pie spices with a French saison yeast. This natural fermentation releases a palate of vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and honey. In addition to 750mL bottles, Master of Pumpkins is also currently available on draft and for take-out growler fills in the Tasting Room. Taste it you will see. More is all you need!

(Beer added by: orangesol on 10-23-2013)

1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

SUCKS

1.51/5  rDev -57.3%

Wow. This one tastes like Big Red gum. A huge miscalculation on the part of Troegs here, far too spiced (especially with cinnamon) without the sweet malt backbone that'd be required to provide balance to that level of spice. I get that you might make a small batch of this as an experiment, but how can you possibly brew it twice, and release it in bombers? Oof.

1.88/5  rDev -46.9%

Smells like potpourri, it's like I'm in my parents' house at Christmas. Flavor is way too heavy on the spice, and the combination of spices don't work properly together, and there's way too much cinnamon. Way too carbed. Why does this beer exist? Fuck you Moll for bringing this.

1.9/5  rDev -46.3%

750 mL bottle purchased at brewery after sampling on draft.

Draft was semi-enjoyable, earthy pumpkin flesh and yam, a little aggressive on the spice, but not overly sweet or artificial. Seemed adequate enough for a stupid style of beer. Scored the draft as 3.75/3.5/3.25/4/3.5.

Bottled version on other hand, look out! Actually, hold on a second, I want to try a side by side of with a strained glass of garbage water with a Costco sized container of cinnamon mixed in for depth. Ok, I'm back. My garbage water tastes better than this trash. But, but, this has saison yeast you say. Surely, you appreciate that? you ask. Shut up.

Pours a clear rust and gold color with a cap of light tan bubbles. Nose is ripe with wet leaves, banana peels, Nov 15. Jack O Lanterns, cinnamon, nutmeg, dirt caked running shoes and pepper. Flavor starts for a fraction of a second as a pleasant, malty and forgettable molasses and pie crust rich pumpkin beer. Then... the spice. There are heavily spiced beers, then there is this. Less a beer and more of thin smoothie of cardboard and cinnamon with a rank, stale, dry powedery finish. Relatively thin body with high carbonation adds a nice seltzer water like sensation to the experience. Barely drinkable.

I should be fair and acknowledge I typically don't drink pumpkin beers and this is my first of this year (well, I had Selin's Grove on nitro a few hours earlier) so maybe this is what passes for good for the style? That's probably it.

edit: Some have pointed out I was a little overly harsh in my review, so I've adjusted my score accordingly from a 1.85 to 1.9

1.93/5  rDev -45.5%

Growler fill from the brewery then into a tulip glass. Crystal clear amber brown in color. Plenty of head that died away quickly. Spicy aroma but not overpowering. Taste... now that is overpowering! The spice in that is like doing the cinnamon challenge (well not that bad (not that I would know anyway)). But for the love of all that is barley, ouch! I have Indian food with less cardamom. Boys, I know you like the hops so I assume you were thinking the same dosing limits with spice for this but c’mon now. My only hope is that the corked and caged bottle I also got will mellow with age. Now to the mouth feel I guess. It is great, if you don’t mind a slight tingle on your tongue from all the spice.

1.96/5  rDev -44.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle picked up hours ago at Troegs, placed in my fridge for 5 hours and just poured into a snifter. The brew pours a hazed amber color with a tan finger that fades back leaving spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is pleasant with a lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and some fruity alcohol notes. There is some bready biscuit to caramel/toffee grain character and something that seems like pumpkin starch/flesh but that might be stretching it a bit.

The flavor of this brew is dominated by a rediculous amount of cinnamon. So much over-spiced rediculous character that this is completely off-putting. The spicing tastes like liquified redhot candy that literally burns and tingles the inside of the mouth to the point of agitating my nose with each swallow. If you wait a few minutes after each sip and swirl your tongue around, you kinda get a flavor of pumpkin flesh/starch and herbal hops with fruity alcohol but that is all hardly an afterthought compared to how over the top the spices are in this.

This is a medium bodied brew with effervescent carbonation. I have never had a pumpkin beer spiced this badly. Zero restraint here and it is absolutely brutal. I spent over an hour trying to drink this and could not even finish half my glass. Avoid this...

2.04/5  rDev -42.4%

2.51/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Shared at our tasting at a predators house. He will go unnamed. Thanks a bunch to yourefragile for sharing this. Coming into this with an open mind regardless of his lambasting.

A - Dark amber with light caramel head. Carb recedes to the edge of the glass.

S - if you dumped a Christmas wreath into a hollowed out pumpkin and then sprayed with a cinnamon gun.

T - the taste follows the smell, except with a shotgun blast to the face of clove. Did I eat a clove cigarette?

M - Unbelievably far too thin for the incredible amount of spice in this beer.

O - this beer just...misses the mark. I had an ounce and a half and had to dump it.
Now, I don't dig on most pumpkin beers. This beer is just way below average even for the style.

2.72/5  rDev -23.2%