Microbrew Invitational

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Brewed with native Pennsylvania neck pumpkins harvested just a few miles from our brewery at Strites’ Orchard, Master of Pumpkins conjures the spirit of autumn by combining roasted pumpkins and traditional pie spices with a French saison yeast. This natural fermentation releases a palate of vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and honey. In addition to 750mL bottles, Master of Pumpkins is also currently available on draft and for take-out growler fills in the Tasting Room. Taste it you will see. More is all you need!

Added by orangesol on 10-23-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 349
3.07/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I picked this up at the Brewery Gift Shop, enjoyed chilled in a can shaped glass side by side with a growler filled in the tasting room.

The color is deep copper bordering on bronze with rust highlights and thick pillowy creamy beige head which setltles to a ring of tiny beads leaving lace on the glass. The smell is intensely spiced with lots of clove -almost like cherry pipe tobacco with a light cinnamon woodiness and phenolic yeast ester with mild alcohol aroma. The feel is the part I can't wrap my head around it is so spiced it is almost medicinal and astringent with lasting tannic warming almost bitter flvor like ingesting potpourri.

The taste starts caramel and gets medicinal with the potpourri qualities of clove and cinnamon coming forward rapidly. The malt provides little cushion since it is mostly dry from the saison yeastiness which adds a little more phenolic accent to the bevy of cinnamon and fireball type almost perfumy cinnamon woodiness with only a smidge of saison fruitiness in the yeast present. Overall I am glad I shared this bottle because the growler was not really much an improvement although it was not nearly as intensely spiced. It is like drinking a yankee cinnamon clove candle a sample would have been plenty.

2.08/5  rDev -40.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle picked up hours ago at Troegs, placed in my fridge for 5 hours and just poured into a snifter. The brew pours a hazed amber color with a tan finger that fades back leaving spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is pleasant with a lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and some fruity alcohol notes. There is some bready biscuit to caramel/toffee grain character and something that seems like pumpkin starch/flesh but that might be stretching it a bit.

The flavor of this brew is dominated by a rediculous amount of cinnamon. So much over-spiced rediculous character that this is completely off-putting. The spicing tastes like liquified redhot candy that literally burns and tingles the inside of the mouth to the point of agitating my nose with each swallow. If you wait a few minutes after each sip and swirl your tongue around, you kinda get a flavor of pumpkin flesh/starch and herbal hops with fruity alcohol but that is all hardly an afterthought compared to how over the top the spices are in this.

This is a medium bodied brew with effervescent carbonation. I have never had a pumpkin beer spiced this badly. Zero restraint here and it is absolutely brutal. I spent over an hour trying to drink this and could not even finish half my glass. Avoid this...

1.96/5  rDev -43.5%

750 mL bottle purchased at brewery after sampling on draft.

Draft was semi-enjoyable, earthy pumpkin flesh and yam, a little aggressive on the spice, but not overly sweet or artificial. Seemed adequate enough for a stupid style of beer. Scored the draft as 3.75/3.5/3.25/4/3.5.

Bottled version on other hand, look out! Actually, hold on a second, I want to try a side by side of with a strained glass of garbage water with a Costco sized container of cinnamon mixed in for depth. Ok, I'm back. My garbage water tastes better than this trash. But, but, this has saison yeast you say. Surely, you appreciate that? you ask. Shut up.

Pours a clear rust and gold color with a cap of light tan bubbles. Nose is ripe with wet leaves, banana peels, Nov 15. Jack O Lanterns, cinnamon, nutmeg, dirt caked running shoes and pepper. Flavor starts for a fraction of a second as a pleasant, malty and forgettable molasses and pie crust rich pumpkin beer. Then... the spice. There are heavily spiced beers, then there is this. Less a beer and more of thin smoothie of cardboard and cinnamon with a rank, stale, dry powedery finish. Relatively thin body with high carbonation adds a nice seltzer water like sensation to the experience. Barely drinkable.

I should be fair and acknowledge I typically don't drink pumpkin beers and this is my first of this year (well, I had Selin's Grove on nitro a few hours earlier) so maybe this is what passes for good for the style? That's probably it.

edit: Some have pointed out I was a little overly harsh in my review, so I've adjusted my score accordingly from a 1.85 to 1.9

2.04/5  rDev -41.2%

Growler fill from the brewery then into a tulip glass. Crystal clear amber brown in color. Plenty of head that died away quickly. Spicy aroma but not overpowering. Taste... now that is overpowering! The spice in that is like doing the cinnamon challenge (well not that bad (not that I would know anyway)). But for the love of all that is barley, ouch! I have Indian food with less cardamom. Boys, I know you like the hops so I assume you were thinking the same dosing limits with spice for this but c’mon now. My only hope is that the corked and caged bottle I also got will mellow with age. Now to the mouth feel I guess. It is great, if you don’t mind a slight tingle on your tongue from all the spice.

3.99/5  rDev +15%

Served on-tap at the brewery.

A - Pours murky brown with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving spotty strings of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of pumpkin pulp, nutmeg, ginger, touch of cinnamon, dash of light funk from the saison yeast and some mild caramel and toffee from the malt.

T - Starts off with the pulpy pumpkin quickly being enveloped by the various pie spices, light funk and the mild toffee and caramel sweetness. Finish is rather spicy, lingering long after the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, spicy feel throughout. The booze is rather well hidden, only really coming out of the shadows once it comes to room temperature.

O - A rather nice pumpkin beer. I prefer them to have less spice than actual pumpkin flavor, and this one follows that pretty well. If you like Pumpkin beers this is definitely worth seeking out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last