Tröegs LaGrave - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: orangesol on 10-23-2013

Inspired by nature's untamed beauty, LaGrave (pronounced \l?-gräv\) is the first of our 12.7-oz. corked and caged bottle releases. Bottle conditioned and highly carbonated, this Triple Golden Ale is steeped in the tradition of strong ales originally brewed in Belgium. The unique Belgian yeast forms the bedrock of LaGrave’s complex flavors. Strong and alluring at 8% ABV, LaGrave boasts a sweet, fruity flavor with a well-rounded mouthfeel and semi-dry, lingering bitter finish.
Reviews by taylor714914:
3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super firm cork that comes out with a surprisingly soft pop. Poured from the 375ml bottle into a chalice. The carbonation is evident when pouring with a frothy head forming but subsiding quickly. The yellow color is darker than I had expected for a triple, but still fitting.

The smells are somewhat muted. A bit of yeast character is what first comes through, with clove, a powdery yeast smell, and something else I just can’t put my finger on.

Taste is straightforward triple. It’s interesting to taste this knowing what splinter gold is like, as you can see the similarities. Yeast character is quite dominant with this brew.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated, a bit more carbonation that needed I believe. I swirled it out quite a bit actually.

My take away? A solid triple, but I can’t help but wish it were different having had the Splinter Gold. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to truly appreciate this beer for what it is, as I think I’ll always wish it was the Splinter Gold and not just a triple. (1,024 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Heed the bottle's warning: pour it slowly and carefully. Everything about the beer is above average, but it leaves just a hint of aftertaste that isn't as smooth as the rest of it. It's a very good beer from a cool little brewery, and I'd drink it again. (254 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, clear, straw yellow in color, high carbonation

Smell: apples and hay

Taste: honey, and Belgian spices, apples, and hay.

Mouthfeel: sweet with a funkiness, light bodied with high carbonation

Overall: An above average triple with nice apple and hay flavorings. Tasty, but I have had better in the style. Certainly worth a try, but I will reach for other favorites. (393 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Troegs LaGrave

It's Troegs baby yeah !

Poured into . . . I don't know . . . It's one of those tall Belgian style tulip glasses

A: Deep yellow to light orange with a thick, foamy, creamy white head

S: Wheat, lemon, pear and some spicy funk too.

M: Smooth . . . Not to familiar with trippels but rhis one is smooth and easy.

O: I like it. As I usually do when it comes to Troegs. I probably won't be back but I won't say never. Glad I picked it up and you will too. (469 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%