2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Dead Reckoning PorterTröegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,088 | Reviews: 533 | Show All Ratings:
CaptJackHarkness

1.23/5  rDev -67.7%

From a twelve ounce bottle dated 07/19/11 @ 12.08.

Poured hazy red/brown with no head at all. Smells of bitter chocolate, tastes of burnt bitter french roast coffee. Leaves a bitter cloying aftertaste. I'm going to dump the rest of this one, hopefully it makes good drain cleaner!

10-16-2011 22:31:37 | More by CaptJackHarkness
njmoons

1.9/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bleegh! Not one of the better porters I have had, and not what I have experienced from Troegs.

Appearance was a typical porter black with a fair amount of foam from the pour. The foam had some staying power.

Smell, roasted malt and the citrus of Chinook hops, no other odors were apparent or were overshawdowed.

Taste, my first thought was how thin the taste was for a porter, no big flavors on the front end. It was like drinking a beer too cold, but this was a room temp. The roasted malts start to kick in and are quickly taken over by the hops which gave a bitter citrus and soapy taste. The taste finished with the soapy taste over-powering the bitterness.

Mouthfeel was too thin for a porter, and as for drinkability I rarely pour a beer out, but the last 1/2 of this went in the sink.

10-02-2009 13:56:34 | More by njmoons
snegopady

2.08/5  rDev -45.4%

I feel bad because I'm realizing that I only seem to review beers when I don't like them, and Troegs is one of my favorite regional breweries, but ... but I just do not like this beer. It is like a parody of a porter. I just don't get this sudden movement to add ridiculous, Xtreme amounts of hops to any and every style of beer, to the point that the style is completely drowned out. Close your eyes and taste this and you will say "IPA" every time. So why bother? There is no porter left here. Will not buy again.

09-13-2012 00:14:46 | More by snegopady
williepep

2.2/5  rDev -42.3%

Not a bad brew -- for a black IPA. This is what was disappointing. If you're going to call it a porter, then it should be a porter. This was not a porter.

I was looking forward to another quality beer brewed by Troegs, and porter is one of my favorite varieties. However, as soon as I opened the bottle and smelled it, all I seemed to get was a potent hop aroma. It smelled like an IPA. The taste was no different. It was dry and hoppy, and also lacked the heaviness of a porter.

Though it is not an unpleasant beer, it is not a porter! I would really like it if Troegs got serious and made a real porter, as I'm sure it would be quite good. They should go back to the drawing board on this one.

10-16-2011 20:06:28 | More by williepep
gfreed

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

As a porter this is a failure, but as an IPA tinted with black dye it might be passable. The color is way too light, the aroma is far too weak and the body is watery. The taste is flimsy at best and (here's the IPA part) it's all wrapped up in a bitter, over-hopped girdle that strangles any decent hint of roasted grain right to a miserable death. Grapefruit in my porter?! Feh. Go buy a bottle of Berkshire Drayman's porter and correct your taste buds.

12-13-2010 03:32:42 | More by gfreed
bubseymour

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -37%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - Beautiful black beer with 3 finger frothy head

Smell - This has an awful smell. Smells like a sweaty leather baseball glove.

Taste - Very subpar porter. Basically its bitter on the pallet and mostly void of flavor and very tasteless.

Mouthfeel - slighty watery but ok.

Overall - I'm very disappointed in this offering from Troegs. They need to go back to the drawing board with this porter creation.

09-22-2011 00:38:52 | More by bubseymour
justintcoons

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured into a tulip pint glass.

Appearance
Deep brown with 2 fingers of off white head. Good retention.

Nose
Pine, lemon zest and light notes of roasted barley.

Taste
Pine needles, lemon zest and notes of Fruity Pebbles. There’s some roasted barley in there if you look for it. :/

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, water and bitter.

Overall
This is too hoppy for a porter. The maltiness is also very thin. WTF Troegs?!

11-12-2012 16:46:40 | More by justintcoons
oxmasterscream

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I want to preface this review by stating that I'm a huge fan of nearly all of their beers. I was excited to try this but...

Pours a murky, reddish brown. A bit lighter than I'd expect or hope for in a porter. The fact that it's unfiltered is obvious from the getgo. Head is tan in color. The aroma is of overwhelming grapefruit - it's Chinooks all the way. In fact, I can barely smell anything else. This is a bit off-putting as this beer is allegedly a porter. There isn't enough roasty or chocolate aromas at all. Same goes for taste - it's dominated by Chinooks; tastes a lot like a grapefruity pale ale with the lights off. A bit too acidic as well. There's only a touch of roasty bitterness in the aftertaste but again, the Chinooks are so overwhelming that it's hard for any other flavors to surface. Mouthfeel is just a bit thin as well. All in all, this is a really strange tasting beer for a porter. It's out of balance and weighs too heavy toward the Chinooks. Great name though.

09-26-2007 23:34:01 | More by oxmasterscream
PeprSprYoFace

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Recieved as an extra in a trade. Forgot who from so sorry.

Pours a dark brown with a little tan head that dissapated fast to nothing. Very little lacing.

Smell is not very strong at all but some chocolate and toffy/caramel notes.

Taste is sort of thin and has some chocolate and caramel flavor with maybe some Belgian double sort of flavor? Its ok...

Mouth feel is just kind of watered down and needs a little more carbonation.

Drinkability is ok since it is not very heavy and intense you could probably drink a few but its not really worth it. Its nothing special and might drain pour just because I want to drink something better.

06-08-2008 06:39:32 | More by PeprSprYoFace
dedrinker

Kansas

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Wow. What happened? It was fresh, so this is fair. This "porter" poured a murky dark brown with rusty/ red algae hues around the edges of the glass. Smells faintly of roasted and crystal malts. Tasted like a brown ale with caramel and light roast malt flavors balanced by hops. Finishes with hop bitterness and a little more of the afore-mentioned malts. No decent coffee or chocolate notes like most porters I've had, but I don't think this could be called a porter by any stretch. It was like a mediocre brown ale eloped with a mediocre porter and had a homely baby. I had higher hopes for this one, because I am a fan of their oatmeal stout, so I know they have the skill to bring on the darkness. Do over!

09-03-2007 01:27:22 | More by dedrinker
jtierney89

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

PPours a very dark sludge like brown color with a light 1 finger tan head. Mostly getting citric and oily hops on the nose. Surprising light in the mouth feel department. Very well balanced and easy to drink. Great flavors and lots of them. Dark and burnt malts up front with a nice citric and floral hop finish. Has a very very subdued dark fruit after taste and burnt bitterness. Not bad at all. The layers of flavors are impressive. The bitterness builds slightly on this beer diminishing its sessionability a little bit.

Otherwise Another fine brew by the guys at troegs.

11-17-2011 00:12:35 | More by jtierney89
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%

Muddy, deep brown color. Sizeable cocoa head. Definately the lightest looking porter I have ever had. Huge hop aroma-no chocolate or roasted aroma you would expect from a porter. Big blast of hops up front-quite bitter.The hops overpower any sign of malt. Doesnt resemble a porter as far as I am concerned. Way over hopped. I know hops are a trend but not here. Not unpleasant just out of place. OK mouthfeel. OK drinkability. The whole package detracts from what you are expecting. Great label though.

10-20-2007 01:22:04 | More by lackenhauser
musicjustintime

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

First whiff....PURE HOPS! Pours a nice dark brown with a tan head. Very nice lacing all the way down, too...but maybe 'cause I used one of my new Sam Adams glasses that BA was so nice to give us founding subscribers?! Anyway, I don't like too much hops, as I always say. They DO have their place, but this "porter" was waaaay too hopped up. Very typical of Troegs.. Really tasted like all hops with the smallest, faintest hint of chocolate malt in the very background. As the beer warmed, though, the hops were dulled down a bit, and the other flavors came through better. I love to support the locals...but this is one I'll pass on in the future. Their Nut Brown is much better, as is the Troegenator! Those are my two very favorites from Troegs...and my buddy's as well. Mad Elf isn't too bad, either. All the others seem way too hoppy. If you can try this for free...I'd do it. Otherwise, don't expect a normal porter with this one. Not my cup of tea. Think I'd rather have a cup of tea...with some brandy. SAAALUTE and cheers my BA friends!

09-11-2007 22:11:37 | More by musicjustintime
rayjay

Hawaii

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Not sure why but my review of this beer is missing so here's take 2

Appearance is thin and watery. I have only seen this this bad in heavily oxidized beers, and this doesn't smell oxidized. 1/2 point for retention and foam, but otherwise it's murky, hazy, and reminiscent of pond water. Looks like a beer bloody mary with extra horseradish.

The roasted barley gets in the way here, and the mouthfeel is a bit too thin. I am wishing there was a bit more camel malt for balance, or a higher mash temp. The chocolate malts taste special, like possibly floor malts. Mild hopping is just right, you can tell they are high alpha but work well.

Okay, but needs improvement. Cheers.

12-20-2009 19:01:22 | More by rayjay
kaips1

Kentucky

2.78/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle into pint glass

a- looks good, nice and dark with it turning slight brown when held up to the light but only under the head
s-good malt smell with a bit of a sour at the end
t-pretty much the smell except the sour is a lot stronger in the taste
m-very lively and tingly through the whole sip and a wet finish
o-not bad, my girlfriend likes it more than i do, id get it again for her but one was good enough for me

03-20-2011 20:10:26 | More by kaips1
brewsclues

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance: An opaque, dark brown (black?) body with a thin-foam, tan head that dissipated faster than I would have liked.

Smell: Honestly, I didn't get much in this category. A little bit of bitter, chocolatey malt, nothing more. Disappointing.

Taste: Good taste...for a Black IPA. Really hoppy (and I like hops) at the start, and quite a bitter finish. Some chocolate, roasted flavors on the tongue in the middle, which wasn't unpleasant. The hops (Chinook?) over-power this Porter a bit too much. It is quite drinkable, however, and very smooth and rich when it reaches room temperature.

Mouthfeel: A little thin for my liking.

Overall, I wasn't a big fan of the DR Porter - a rather underwhelming performance from an otherwise great brewery. I think there are some rich flavors in this beer masked by a overstated hoppy character. Not sure if I'd rush to get this one again.

11-06-2011 22:16:26 | More by brewsclues
rawfish

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a stark black with cola highlights. Head is two fingers in height with very good retention and surprising lacing that coats the glass really well.

Touches of roast and smoke with a very bready and vinous fruit sweetness to it. Not much in the way of coffee or chocolate not hop presence wither if I had my eyes closed I would guess it was an esb and not a porter.

Bready with some roasted malt, cereal grain and caramel sweetness. Some bittersweet chocolate and a good dose of vinous fruit. Lactic acidity, herbaceous and ashy on the finish. Lasting bitterness with and low detection of alcohol.

Thin and flat, consistency of water. Bitterness dries the beer a bit but the malt remains very sticky. Not the easiest to drink, weighed down somewhat by the yeast from the bottle.

A very sub par porter, poor display of the roasted malt resulting in a fruity sweetness devoid of any hints of chocolate or coffee but full of lactic acidity and charred astringency.

02-27-2013 07:02:09 | More by rawfish
BWH3

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Deep dark brown with the slightest fiery red tints at the edges. A big beige head smolders up then fades quickly to a still clingy ring.

S: A slightly sweet aroma of toffee and milk chocolate. The yeast gives of a fruity ester aroma that sweetens the nose further. The finishing touches are a hint of roasted malt and a fragrant lightly floral hops.

T: The faintest amount of caramel and cocoa sweetness followed by the dominating flavor of roast grain. The roasted malt is not ashy or smoky but simply dry and acidic.

M: Thin, still, dry and average head retention.

D: This was an okay porter. I know of better as I am sure you do as well. I must admit I have a bit of a bias against Troeg's and this at times makes me less than enthusiastic about their beers. However, I keep sampling them anyway.

11-27-2008 01:31:02 | More by BWH3
JayS2629

Alabama

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

On tap from the brewery.

A- Dark rich brown with a tan head and sticky lacing.

S- Faint sweet barley, hints of coffee, chocolate and citrus hops. Grapefruit?

T- Unsweetened cocoa in the background, roasted coffee forward, earthy tones, brown sugar, smoke and hops. This is very off. It is a porter for hops lovers. For a porter something went wrong. Its like hops wrapped in coffee. Bitter finish like asprin going down the back of my throat. Complex front end with nasty after taste.

M- Too much hops for this style. Not well balanced. Medium body. Kind of watery.

D- Its ok, but too hoppy for a porter. Its a bitter pill to swallow, but several other qualities made it a redeemable sipper.

M- Medium, silky and milky.

D- Good porter. Very drinkable.

11-14-2010 03:11:16 | More by JayS2629
freystout17

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

This porter poured a medium brown, and had a two finger tan head. Some decent lacing remained on the Belgian glass I used to drink it. I was disappointed in that there was very little complexity to the taste. It didn't have much hops to speak of, and it simply tasted watered down somehow. I didn't taste much coffee overtone, nor did I discern much roasted barley flavor. It possesses a somewhat stale cereal taste. In terms of porters, there are many others out there (e.g. Great Lakes, Rogue, Leghumper, Anchor) for the same or similar price that I would recommend you pass on this one.This particular six pack may be an anomaly, and not represent the brew, to be fair to the brewer.
I certainly wish them no ill will. In any event, I will not buy another.

12-27-2011 00:13:12 | More by freystout17
steve8robin

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Found this at a local beer store. Give it a go...

A: Dark with a small off-white head that quickly fades to a murk around the top of the brew. Good.

S: Earthy chocolate vanilla hops upfront with hints of roast on the backend. Not much else going on. Ok.

T: Chocolate bath water taste with a creamy roast. Eh...

M: A hint too much carbonation on this one.

D: Goes down ok after you get past the dirty water flavor. Eh.

All in all, this is an ok brew. Nothing special. Don't bother hunting this one down. Not worth your time and money.

06-12-2010 03:39:31 | More by steve8robin
SLeffler27

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

This is a very dark, almost black beer with black walnut highlights. A creamy beige head barely reaches half an inch before quickly dissipating and leaving rings on a pint glass.

Up front astringency with black coffee. There is little else worth noting.

Tastes surprisingly like cold black coffee with about the same bitterness.

A medium body, sharp with prickly carbonation and rather dry.

This beer may have its place and followers, however, I am unimpressed.

04-22-2012 18:43:46 | More by SLeffler27
Minkybut

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 4 degrees. The beer was a black brew with a dark tan head. The head went away very fast but did have decent lacing. The beer smelled hoppy and was. Way to much hops for a nice porter. The hops blew away any great taste that would have and I believe been there. I will not buy again.

12-02-2010 16:47:40 | More by Minkybut
matty

Dark dark brown beer with aroma of chocolate and or cocoa.Taste has slight chocolate flavor and spicy hops.Aftertaste is mostly of coffee.This beer was pretty decent but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it yet I would probably agree that's it 's worth a try!!

11-06-2007 15:08:19 | More by matty
ghengisflan

Appearance: A slightly opaque amber brown.

Smell: Very hop-dominated.

Taste: Hop dominated; I was expecting a porter by the name Dead Reckoning Porter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation.

Overall: A good beer, if mislabeled. It isn't quite a "black IPA" or Cascadian dark ale, though.

11-25-2012 00:38:21 | More by ghengisflan