Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Dead Reckoning PorterTröegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-17-2003)
4.38/5  rDev +15%

A: Poured into a nonic pint glass. Semi-vigorous pour reveals a deep brown (nearly black) opaque brew with a beautifully reverse-cascading two-finger head of frothy espresso-colored foam. The head seems to want to linger forever, making the presentation extremely appealing and inviting. A fine lace clings to the glass as the head slowly recedes to a thick cap. Flawless.

S: Initial smell is of dark roasted malts with hints of chocolate. A bit of hoppiness reveals itself as the beer warms, though it's definitely a supporting player in this nose.

T/M/D: Dark and malty backbone holds chocolate and coffee flavors at the forefront, which then give way to a pleasing hoppy bite and dry, bitter finish. A pleasing tingle from the carbonation greets the tongue, and each sip lingers on the palate for a bit, begging you for another dose.

There's not a whole heck of a lot going on here, but what is going on is done extremely well, making this well-balanced, flavorful, and very easy to drink. A perfect companion on a cold winter night, and the standard-bearer for what I personally look for in a good porter. Tröegs hits the sweet spot again!

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

12 ounce bottle, I'm a sucker for the Good ole' Grateful Dead theme, including the 60's style Troegs writing on the label. Pours a deep respectable near black ballsy porter tone. Mocha tiny bubble head, nice lacing and a tad of sheeting. Dark malts and hints of chocolate and cafe au lait in the nose. Very pleasant, tasty and easy drinking porter. More nice roastyness of the malts, a hint of smoke,light chocolate notes, moderate hop presence late and an overall quite pleasant approach. Well worth a try.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a chocolate brown color with a small tan head that dissipated into a very slight ring. The aroma is of a roasted chocolate malt coupled with a juicy hop aroma. A nice fresh grapefruit hop aroma. The taste is of a smooth chocolate malt, bittersweet. The malt is then followed by a noticable hop presense; nice and grassy, a touch of grapefruit. The feel is thick and chewy, soft carbonation, smooth, finishes bitter. A very tasty porter, good chocolate qualities along with a noticable hop flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Looks pretty standard in the snifter. Deep, dark, almost black... brown with a wispy off-white head. Nothing amazing, nothing off.

S - Troegs wins for best-smelling porter I've ever whiffed. Huge chocolatey malts coupled with a wicked american hop profile make this a real sniffer. I could see where others wouldn't necessarily like this, I find it to be an awesome combination.

T - This is my kinda brew. Dark, heavy malty backbone that's seemingly dry hopped to hell and back. Not outrageously complex, but then again, it doesn't really need to be. Coffee and mild chocolate aspects, with a nice bitter hop finish.

M - A little thin for my liking, but the carbonation is pretty well spot on.

D - Awesome drinkability... this is another absolute winner from Troegs.

Notes: Between this and Nugget Nectar, I'm a jealous boy. I think Troegs is distributing to Ohio now, and giving me another reason why I need to make a drive down there. Lucky dogs!

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

12 oz bottle purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ. Drank from a pint glass.

A: Very dark brown, opaque body. Small tan head.

S: Full of roasted malts. Coffee and a hint of smoke present. Also a noticible hop presence.

T: Very earthy, roasted taste. Like the smell, begins with hints of coffee. Dry hop finish.

M: Medium to full bodied. Smoothe and crisp.

D: One of the best porters I've had to date. Dry earthy and smoothe drinking.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a very nice, dark brown. Almost black but not quite. Noticed some sediment suspended throughout the glass, but nothing to worried about.

Smells slightly roasted/coffee. Not overwhelming.

Tastes similar to the smell. Nice and balanced. I'm personally not a fan of overly roasted porters. This one is right were I like them.

Very smooth beer through and through.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Served on tap. A dark opaque brown/black with hints or red on the fringes. Nice dense tan head that slowly drops down to lacing and laces well down the glass. Smells of dark roasty malt, coffee and slight bitterness. This beer tastes wonderfully roasty, and is balanced by nice bitterness which really compliments the roasted flavors well. Some might be suprised by the liberal dose of hops, but it really accentuates the overall character. Mouthfeel is nicely medium to full with appropriate levels of carbonation. Overall, a highly drinkable offiering from Troegs, with suprising flavor profiles that compliment and expand.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

First off - thanks to TheManiacalOne for this one!

This beer pours an almost opaque brown darkness with a short wispy light tan head that fades slowly and a good amount of lacing. There is a mild roasted malt and coffee aroma. It smells like it's going to be creamy, but it's a lot lighter body than I anticipated. There is a roasted malt taste that, at first, masked by the slightly bitter taste. There is a delayed transition to the coffee flavor finish that lingers significantly. This was a decent beer, but not one that I would consider for a longer sitting.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice black body with a tan head and some lace.

S. Nose is of roasted malts and vanilla primarily. Smells robust and full.

T. Follows the roasted malt nose. Some hops are there and provide a residual bitterness, not letting the malts get too sweet. A nice mocha coffee note and a bit of smoke. Very good.

M/D. Full bodied and thick. A very flavorful beer and worthy of buying a case. I seem to have a hard time finding this beer, and after trying it, I can say its worth seeking out.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

From a Yanks fan to congratulate the Phillies.

A_Pours a dark dark brown/black with a decent head and sheets of lacing.

S_Roasted coffee, grains and a decent dose of generic hops.

T_Nice bitter roasted flavours up front, coffee and grain. This is followed by a good dose of piney hops. On the dry side.

M_Medium bodied, higher end carbonation.

D_An above average porter, on the dry side how I prefer it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This ale poured a murky cola-brown color that produced only a 1/4" cream colored head that quickly dropped to zero. Not much lacing down the glass.

S= I smelled sweet caramelly malts, slightly roasted grains, carob, and a faint earthy hop note.

T= Much the same as the aroma, only much more subdued. I found caramel and chocolate sweetness up front followed quickly by a dry roasted grain flavor. The finish was also a bit dry (too dry for the style in my opinion).

MF= Medium bodied, but I thought the mouthfeel on this one was a bit too sharp on the tongue, mostly due to the high carbonation level.

D= Not nearly the best porter out there, yet it had its good points. Worth a try.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a really nice Troegs sampler today in a BIF from my newest bestest buddy adamharbaugh and this was his recommendation for first try. Let's see if he knows what the hell he's talkin bout.

Black fluid with a moderate off-white head. Some thin smatherings of lace hither, thither, and yon.

Took a big whiff and the first thing I thought was 'wow, is that hops?' Me thinks it is. Never smelt hops in a porter before. In fact I can't detect any of the usual porter aromas.

Extremely unique. Big hop flavor. In a porter. I think way at the back I might taste a slight bit of chocolate but I'm not sure.

It weird to have the smoothness of a porter and the flavor of hops. I like it. It's very smooth actually. I don't sense any carbonation. Feels great. Gives those really nice IPA burps. You know the ones.

Porters are down there on my list of preferences, as I like'a'da hops, so to me this is one of the best porters eva! An oddity and a rare treat.

This is so unique, it should be a must-try for everyone.

Sheesh Adam, if the rest of the box you sent me is this good, you can **** my sister!

Overall: I have to recommend this

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours the very datkest of browns with a nice fluffy tan head.Good retention and very nice lacing. Aroma is roasted yet fruity. Body is medium with just a hint of carbonation. Taste is of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. There is also a dark fruit quality that comes through. Excellent.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Long time Troegs supporter who finanlly had the opportunity to try this brew on for size. Porters Pub in Easton is a gem of a place and always has great, original brews on tap like this one.

A: Dark but not too dark. Far lighter than you'd expect from a porter. Tee head is a thicker off-white color with staying power.

S: The aroma is heavy on the hops, full of citrus notes that are deep and strong. Some darker caramel malts emerge to remind you that this is not a pale ale.

T: Strong, intense citrus hops greet you on first sip which seem intense and out of place here. Until a darker roasted caramel malt body emerges that is somewhat of a contrast with the hops, you'd have thought this was an IPA. I've never has a porter this hoppy or an IPA this roasted. The elements mix nicely, often playing off each other without ruining the taste of the beer.

M: The porter quality is a little thin, lacking a consistent depth. That hole is filled adequately by the hops. Man oh man those hops are good.

D: Very unique brew, an almost IPA/ Porter combo which was extremely unexpected. This is a unique brew which you should make a point to try. Troegs has another winner to add to their long list and I'm officially a fan.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

P- Market Cross Pub in Carlisle.

A- a nice thick lustrous siena colored head rises about a finger. Very fragrant on the pour. Dark as motor oil for the color. looks like a Coke.

S- dark fruity esters, grapefruit maybe. a roasted malt and chocolate aroma caps it off. Smells like hops as well.

T- roasted dark chocolate malts. Very deep in this department. i also get some grapefruit in there as well as some medium dark coffee.

M- creamy and silky. Like drinking a chocolate coffee. Burst of grapefruit hops rounds out the feel.

D- a great porter that you can throw back. A lil thick but not so much that you cant put down 3 or 4 in an hour or two.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to Deuane for the extra

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A large beige head forms, but recedes to a ring. Rings of lace are left behind.
S: At first a fruity hop aroma is present. Some roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee come next. Very musky. The hop presents needs to be toned down a bit IMO.
T: Roasted malt with some chocolate and coffee. Though, again a bit too much hop presents for my liking in this style.
M/D: A medium body that is rich and creamy. Well carbonated for my tastes. Smooth a easy to drink.

This is a very enjoyable porter. Something I would have often if it were local to me. It is in the same vain as Avery's New World Porter. And like New World it is a bit over hopped for my tastes. This is not a complaint, just a comment. Though it is a bit out of style for me.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured black, thin light brown head dissipated fast. Smell is malty with chocolate/coffee. Tastes very malty with really bitter dark chocolate, and even though the ABV is 5.4% is seems like there's a stronger presence of alcohol in this one... Maybe it's just this bottle. For a porter this one is pretty light in the mouth and very easy to drink, can't go wrong with Troegs.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a near black with slight red hues around the edges when held to the light. I see some yeasty dregs floating in there as well which doesn't bother me. Carbonation is a finger and a half high and lacing clings to the sides of the glass like glue.

Smell- Dark roasty malts and a fairly high hop presence which is good for an American porter. I'm catching darker prune scented fruits from the yeast and perhaps a bit of star anise. Roasted malts dominate and I can't wait to get a taste of this one.

Taste- Roasty malts again on the flavor with a mild sweetness from the hops and yeast. A little bit too high on the hops for my tastes, but I'll be letting that pass as it is a very smooth porter and I keep wanting to go back for more.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, highly carbonated, lightly astringent from over hopping, and medium full bodied.

Drinkability- I would say the drinkability here is very high and I may actively pursue finding a six pack for the wintertime swilling needs.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a dark brown almost black color, with a small amount of light brown head that sticks around, Very lively carbonation.

Slightly sweet, caramel malts with roasty hopps.

Roasty hopp taste with some light caramel malts, a bit of chocolate and coffee.

Light-bodied feel, pretty smooth, a little watery, good carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. This is a good interesting porter, not the best I've had, but I could easily drink a few.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Picked this up at the brand new Stew Leonard's Wines and Spirits in Clifton, New Jersey. I had a hard time finding this and since I've enjoyed every other beer from Troegs that I've reviewed for this site, it was well worth going out of the way to find! I didn't know how a hoppy porter would taste, but after working my way through my pint glass, I can now say that it is more than certainly worth a try.

The pour for this was good - a deep brown hue, a thick head, and some lacing were seen. The aroma was solid - chocolate, toffee, and lots of roasted and smoked notes on top of that. The taste had all of those hallmarks, but in addition to that, it was extremely creamy and light on the palate. The hops and alcohol could be felt more on the back, and in some odd way, this reminded me of the no-longer-brewed Troegs Oatmeal Stout. No, there aren't any oats or rye to be found here, but this had all the sweetness and dessert-like qualities of the aforementioned style along with a light mouthfeel and a strong and lingering aftertaste. A typical porter, this is not!

I thought the ABV% would be closer to 6 or 7 before seeing that it's only 5.40%. I wouldn't characterize this as a session beer, as it's more for enjoying after a meal or on a night like tonight where it's finally starting to feel like fall outside. No matter, I'm glad that I went out of the way to find this. This is a wonderful beer to enjoy after a meal, without needing any accompanying food to help prop it up. I still miss their Oatmeal Stout, although this is good enough to nearly make me eat (or drink) my words!

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Enjoyed this beer at The Gingerman in NYC this week. I was happy they had a Troeg's product as I am a fan of the ones I've tried to date. This one did not disappoint,

Each pint came with a thick rich tam head that was about a finger or two thick. The head had fairly nice retention. The beer itself was very dark bordering on black. Kind of hard to describe too many visual details as the bar was quite dark.

Aroma was smoky and clearly of roasted malt. Contained both chocolate and coffee notes. I did get a subtle sense of the hops as well. Very nice.

Flavor was fantastic. Smooth and balanced front to back. Also spot on. Smoky roasted flavors burst then you segue to a chocolate and coffee middle. A slight sweetness was clearly evident, but not over the top. I kept thinking was the aftertaste mostly roasted malt or hop bitterness. Or a combo of the two. I loved the finish and it kept me wanting more.

Mouth feel was big and creamy. Very nice and very drinkable.

Excellent brew!

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Poured a dark chocolate brown with a little, light brown head

S - Roasted malts, hints of coffee and chocolate

T - I get hit up front with a hop flavor...then it finishes off with a kick of chocolate...very nice

M - Very light in the mouth for how dark it is

D - Great drinkability...good flavor and surprising light

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Dark brown to black body with about a finger of brown head. Good retention and TONS of lacing. The glass is pretty much covered with lacing.

Smells of a roasted malt character with notes of coffee and dark chocolate.

Tasty porter. Lots of a dark roasted malt character with notes of bitter chocolate. Finishes with a good earthy hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is rather thin, lightly carbonated.

Pretty drinkable porter, definitely one I enjoy.

Poured from a growler (Skibbo) into a pint glass.

A - Poured black with a thick head of tan foam.

S - Malty with and smokey. A good amount of strong dark coffee and a little chocolate.

T - Much of the same. Finishes off with a nice hop bitterness.

MF&D - Another good brew from Troegs.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Longneck poured into an imperial pint glass - bottled on date of 8/6/08 - pretty fresh. Black in the glass with a tan head that sat for a bit and died to an airy covering. Has sticking power on the walls of the glass. Somewhat fruity aroma - red grapes, prune, light roast coffee, chocolate, grain. Flavor is initially chocolatey sweet, followed by a stern bitter pop that lingers into the finish, which is joined by an acrid roasted bitterness. The underlying malt profile of this beer has a very delicate grainy pilsner like feel to it under all of the roast and hops. The mouthfeel of this beer is silky smooth with a creamy character that massages the tongue, a soft carbonation and medium-full body - exceptional. A nice drinking porter that has a much different feel than most American versions. Has a smooth almost English feel to as far as mouthfeel goes, while at the same time displaying crisp flavors with no heavy sweet caramel or fruit character. A unique porter that is really growing on me.

Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter from Tröegs Brewing Company