Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Dead Reckoning PorterTröegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
edskirk3

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Troegs is one of my favorite breweries and I always relish the opportunity to a try one of their beers, especially a new one. The bottle that I purchased was filled on July 26 of this year, according to the stamp on the neck. Track #070703 if that means anything to you.

The label art features a hand coming out of the sea holding a compass. If you look closely into the swirling blue sea, you can see the word TROEGS hidden in there. OK now on to this bottle's contents.

Pours into my pint glass 99% opaque with FAINT garnet highlights around the edges. It sits there still and heavy and yet inviting with a creamy Guinnessesque head.

A unique citrus-mint cocoa aroma emanates from the glass. This further piques my curiosity.

I don't know where to start when describing the flavors. It reminds me of a dry stout at first, but the subtle complexities of this porter slowly reveal themselves with each sip. Pine. Citrus. Milk chocolate. Sweetened coffee. A delicate creaminess. And a dry finish with a lingering sensation of cappuccino afterwards. I wish I bought more than one.

What a nice surprise this was. I can see Andes mints as a good pairing.

09-07-2007 05:08:53 | More by edskirk3
mntlover

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a hazy reddish brown good looking brew. Sporting a big fluffy khaki head that lasts and leaves gobs of lace down my glass. Very tasty looking brew.

Aroma is woo nice hoppy citrus some piney hints big on hops for a porter but great for a hop head like me. Roasted malts mostly chocolate but really hard to tell as the hops over shadow the malt.

Taste is like the aroma lots of hops piney flavors with a citrus edge that leaves a lingering grapefruit rind flavor. Some roasted malt is noted mostly chocolate with some coffee flavors that blend with the hoppy bitterness. Finish comes off with lingering bitterness and roasted malt coffee that lingers.

Mouthfeel is starts out good light medium with good carbonation level. Only knock is it seems to lighten up in the finish, to almost become watery feeling, not tasting in anyway.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable brew, big on hops would like to see how it is after hops mellow. Being a hop head I like it, if your more a traditionalist you will find it way to hoppy for the style. But that being said I like this one.

09-07-2007 01:16:32 | More by mntlover
tgbljb

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured a deep reddish-brown color with moderate tannish head that quickly fell to a thin coating with sparse lacing.
Smell is very unique. roaste malt combined with piney, grassy hops is different, and extremely enjoyable.
Taste is superb. The sweetness from the malt, the coffeee and chocolate notes, the dark fruitiness, the bitter hops all blend together perfectly.
Finishes with a taste mixing the chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and hops in nice proportions.
Great beer, really unique. easy to drink, easy to session.

09-06-2007 22:41:08 | More by tgbljb
Phatz

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I recently had Scratch 2 and now with Dead Reckoning Tröegs is really doing something new with their porters.

I first had this beer at the State College Brew-fest and my thoughts at the time were that it is too hoppy for a porter and too thin for a porter. I had it again at a tasting and decided to agree with myself. Now, sitting here with a bottle of my own I am deciding this is a good beer (not really a good "porter") but a tasty treat.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful chocolate brown with a large thick light brown head in my SA BL glass. The retention on that thick foam a-top my beer is nothing less than impressive. I had to impatiently stick my nose through the heavy foam. Eventually it recedes and leaves the walls of the glass plastered with sheets of lace.

Smell: I think this dark IPA needs a style of it's own, though I understand the hop bitterness range is quite wide in this style. The only time I have ever smelled something like this is in my own homemade Black and Tans (except maybe Alpha Klaus Xmas Porter). This is an IPA aroma of fresh hops, big pine flavors fill the nose with the cocoa, chocolate, toffee and dark malt taking a back seat.

Taste: It is bitter. A balance of fires pine and hop resin bitter and espresso burnt coffee bitter, but this sucker is bitter. I like it. The citrus flavor leads fades there is a black coffee bitterness left on the cheeks. The burps are all pine. The beer has an undertone of porter attributes with burntness, dark malts and grains and a coffee element. The fish is very dry and astringent.

Mouthfeel: My biggest complaint (and it is a small one) I would have like to see a better density to this beer. It does seem a bit thin, even watery at time and though the body is light the and the hops do cover for it some I would have liked a slightly heavier malt back bone. NOTE: This is a very minor criticism of an otherwise very tasty beer.

Drinkability: I could and would easily session this beer. Its unique style doesn't do it for me though so it really won't enter my regular rotation of beers. I like the hoppyness in my IPAs and then I like to switch to the roastyness. This is a novelty beer for me at the moment. Time will tell. I have a case coming.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

09-06-2007 05:07:29 | More by Phatz
NJpadreFan

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%

Tröegs- Dead Reckoning

Appearance- Dark murky reddish brown with a thick meringue head. Big lacing rings left on the glass.
Smell- Big sweet creamy coffee and cocoa with a big hit of pine hops!?
Taste- Smooth creamy coffee/ cocoa with an equal dose of fresh green pine hops.
Mouthfeel- Sweet smooth and creamy up front with a big hoppy dry kick in the end.

Overall- Holy Sh!t this was good! A Porter meets an IPA maybe?! I don't know. All I care is this was smooth, creamy, and hoppy!!
Awesome stuff, that just hit the shelves near me (9-1-07)

09-05-2007 20:50:44 | More by NJpadreFan
dedrinker

Kansas

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Wow. What happened? It was fresh, so this is fair. This "porter" poured a murky dark brown with rusty/ red algae hues around the edges of the glass. Smells faintly of roasted and crystal malts. Tasted like a brown ale with caramel and light roast malt flavors balanced by hops. Finishes with hop bitterness and a little more of the afore-mentioned malts. No decent coffee or chocolate notes like most porters I've had, but I don't think this could be called a porter by any stretch. It was like a mediocre brown ale eloped with a mediocre porter and had a homely baby. I had higher hopes for this one, because I am a fan of their oatmeal stout, so I know they have the skill to bring on the darkness. Do over!

09-03-2007 01:27:22 | More by dedrinker
KFaulkner

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Just as a disclaimer, Troegs is my favorite brewery (a hometown hero of sorts) and the Trogner brothers' dedication and skill in brewing world class beers notwithstanding, I review this beer as impartially as possible.

Pour a dark brown into a pint glass with a cloudy opaque body. This beer is unfiltered.

It smells sweet but robust, with scents of chocolate and burnt oak. The foamy head quickly recedes to a filmy layer of whispy lace. The first taste is smooth, and creamy, but has a hoppier back end than most porters which is a welcome characteristic.

It's easy to drink, delicious and the perfect beer for the changing seasons. It's great to see a porter rolled out by Troegs in preparation for its colder season beers like Oatmeal Stout and the fan-favorite Mad Elf. Now if only Pennsylvania would start selling six packs... but that's another story.

Troegs official website has this beer listed at 5.8% ABV. I have submitted a change request based on this info.

According to this site it is also a seasonal release as opposed to a rotating release and that it is currently replacing its Oatmeal Stout for the year rather than supplementing it. More info on their Oatmeal Stout to follow.

09-02-2007 19:48:27 | More by KFaulkner
genog

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a murky, dark chocolaty brown color. Head is a foamy off white/tan color that does not hang around for very long. Smell is of sweet malty flavors with some roasted aroma coming through as well. Taste is bitter coffee and dark chocolate and some toffee, roasted flavors. I also taste some bittering hops which is kinda cool for this style too. Watery and carbonated leave a full mouth feel on this one too.

09-01-2007 02:17:36 | More by genog
meatyard

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance is a dark, chocolate brown with just a bare minimum of light at the edges.
The head is a light brown, thick foamy one with a bit of lacing.
The smell is of some hops and chocolate caramel.
It tastes like roasted chocolate malt with some hops following that. Alittle different but very interesting.
Mouthfeel is thick at first then lightens up to a more medium feel.
Drinkability is good, it goes quite quickly as you try to figure it out.

This is a very pleasant beer even if it doesn't quite suit all of what you'd expect from a good porter.

08-31-2007 22:27:14 | More by meatyard
franksnbeans

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a muddy chocolate milk brown with visible sediment and a creamy head that retains before dying to a thin layer. Laces nicely. Smells a little of roasted coffee bean, hint of chocolate. Tastes rich with chocolate, coffee bean and a bitterness bite of hops. Very smooth in the mouth, dangerously smooth. Drinkability is huge, not thick, not syrupy, jusssst right. I must admit I went into this one blindly with no expectations and came out with an awesome brew that I will put in the starting lineup. A must try.

08-30-2007 05:22:24 | More by franksnbeans
BlindPig

4.38/5  rDev +15%

A- Thick tan head on a muddy brown body.
S- Some grass hops, chocolate, and roasted malts. Pretty bland aroma. The hops do stand out more so than malt IMO.
T- Really hoppy for a porter first off. Chocolate, roasted malts, a lot of bittering hops but not really strong in the flavor. Dry bitterness in the aftertaste with a blend of light roasted flavors, and some coffee. Really nice and interesting flavor to it.
M- Medium with low carbonation. A light silk feel to it.
D- I think this is a really tasty beer and a nice different flavor. I would enjoy some more of these (hints to Todd1 who hooked me up with this bottle in the first place). If I could find this hear I think I would have quite a few 6-packs of it.

08-30-2007 03:38:33 | More by BlindPig
jjayjaye

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours an almost opaque brown darkness with a short wispy light tan head that fades slowly. A good amount of lacing, some 3D. It even smells DARK! A mild roasted malt and coffee aroma. It smells like it's going to be creamy, but that's not the case, IMO. Medium bodied, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated and conditioned by a major tingle from the hop that leads into a genuine bitterness in the flavor. The roasted malt taste is at first masked by the complexity of what's going on with the mouth bitterness. There is a delayed transition to the coffee flavor finish that lingers significantly. Interesting beverage. I can only manage one of these at a siting.

08-23-2007 22:18:02 | More by jjayjaye
MaltyGoodness

12oz. bottle

Pours a dark chestnut brown with a small tan head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is roasty with cocoa and coffee and a nice, mild citrus hop aroma.

Quite roasty upfront with dark cocoa and espresso tones. Leads into a nice bitterness and mild citrus hop flavor. Finishes with a lingering roasted flavor with a hint of hops. Well balanced.

Medium-full body, solid carbonation.

Overall, a very solid and robust porter. It's hard to stop with just one, and no need to with the moderate ABV. Just what you would expect from Troegs, especially considering they are using it as a replacement for their delicious oatmeal stout.

08-23-2007 03:41:18 | More by MaltyGoodness
jockstrappy

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Retired no more!!! The new fall seasonal!

Pours a hazy cola-like color with a creamy tan head that leaves a soap like lace. Roasted chocolate malts in the nose with a fruity hop note and a touch of smokiness. Taste begins with a nutty / chocolate flavor, with a slight hop undertone. A smokey malt flavor becomes more apparent as the beer warms. Sticky finish with a roasted malt aftertaste....perfect for the cooler nights ahead. I am thrilled with this beer! I don't have that much experience with porters, but this one is great! Nice change of pace from the masses of Octoberfest beers!

08-17-2007 00:26:29 | More by jockstrappy
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Son you better recognize...that's right recognize the fact that not every brewery out there has to make an O fest as their fall seasonal. Now alot of us beer kin out there are a little hurt right now over the fact that they decided to discontinue their Oatmeal Stout, but this blast from the past draft/cask offering is something worth drinking for sure.

Poured out into my ol' Heavyweight "please lift with both hands" pint glass that I love and cherish. Forms a cloudy hazed mahogany definitely has an unfitered look going on very reminiscient of the cask style I used to drink at the Sharp Edge Creek house big ass chunky tan head dwindles slow forms that thick even lacing all around and does a great job of staying around with each sip in a very annular ring fashion.

Aromatics come correct with the Chinooks and Vanguards bursting through a clouded hookah room bringing out exoctic blends of cocoa powder and dry dark chocolate bars and a really tea leafy greeness with herbal hoppiness a flowing all about. Very mild iced cappucino creaminess still the hops shine.

Flavor not over ridden with those dark roasty bitter flavors yet a blend of dark cocoa and Bailey's spiked coffee tones arise. Digging deeper a touch of anise with herbal minty hops and raw herbaceous tobacco like leafy earthiness with moderate to strong hop bitterness and flavor all day. Blends so well doesn't let the chocolate or dark roasts overpower and for those of us who dig Chinooks this beer let's them shine.

My palate appreciates the light texture that this drinking porter has to offer I served it up at right around cask temp and it brings me back to those past experiences that I can't let go. A medium bodied porter with ample carbonation definitely not as fluffy and creamy as the cask version but as fuckin' close as I've experienced in the bottle great texture.

Case worthy and affordable at that damn good session porter that I will definitely be drinking while in season. Do I miss the oatmeal stout already??? Of course, but why worry about that beer when this brew will have me occupied well into the winter months.

08-14-2007 17:13:55 | More by WVbeergeek
shertz

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

This is the new offering from the Troeg's Bros and different than the old Dead Reckoning Porter. This one weighs in at 5.8%. This will replace the Oatmeal Stout as the fall seasonal. Poured from undated bottle into a Pint Glass.

A- Three finger head quickly falls one finger. Carmel brown in color.
Minimal lacing.

S- Roasted nuts/Chocolate grab my nose hairs first followed by hints of hops. I would say the Chocolate is the prominent feature here.

T- Smooth and creamy Chocolate taste. Burnt nuts follow. Wow, very nice. Can taste the hint of the hops in background. Very, very nice.

M- Rather thick, with med carbonation. Has some slickness to it. Grabs your tonsuls a little on the way down. I think it would be even better if I would let it warm a little, just don't have the patience to wait. Really nice.

D- At 5.8%, could drink plenty of these. Would be a nice dessert beer. I've never had the old, but certainly do like this new style. Saw cases of this yesterday, maybe have to pick one up. Yummy.

Enjoy and Cheers,
Scott

08-12-2007 20:44:13 | More by shertz
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Super fresh cask at sharp edge. I also sampled this one on draught at the brewery, but I preferred this cask sample, and so i'll enter this review from my notes into the db here. Anyway, this one is very dark cocoa, brown, nearly opaque with a wonderful cascading head of casky, wish-washy, tan foam. The beer settles into a beautiful looking pint and the head lasts well and leaves wonderful lacing for a cask offering. Aromas are all dark roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, and caramel with some nice green, dank hops as well. Upfront taste is roasty, bitter, and almost astringent with soem lactic properties creeping in as well. The alpha acids and resiny flavor of the hops really make this one come together nicely. Very hoppy and super roasty, this one is the best of both worls with a wonderful cask mouthfeel, which is medium bodied and well structured. Drinkability is amazing as well. The brothers are damn proud of this one, as they should be, a real stand-out from a brewery that seems to have several stand-outs! Superb.

07-29-2005 06:01:17 | More by francisweizen
guinness33

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Troegs hits the mark again with their limited porter.

It pours a lovely deep brown colour with a nice sticky tan head that leaves a decent amount of residue on the glass.

The smell was malt dominated with a nice balance between chocolate and coffee aromas, but with chocolate prevailing a bit in the end, perhaps due to some lingering sweet caramel notes throughout as well. This all is also complimented by a nice hop presence. The flavour is more of the same, although it does throws a bit of rugged earthiness into the mix as well, and hop flavour is present a bit more than in the mix of the aroma.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick...a bit crunchy, if you will. The nice thing here is that, while it pushes the limits of the porter style and moves dangerously close to stout territory in terms of body, it still holds back enough to remain within the proper style.

This is definitely a tasty brew that is well worth a pint or two should you have the opportunity.

07-19-2005 02:22:31 | More by guinness33
Fish113d

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Served in a pint glass, cask-conditioned, it pours a black color with some slight red tints throughout, not leaving any light through hardly. It leaves a 3/4" tan, milky, stoutish (Guinness) head that kinda suprised me...very smooth look to it!

Aroma is of sweet toffee malts with berries and floral hops, which tend to overpower much of the aroma suprisingly to me.

Taste is of sweet caramel malts and a "musky" taste, due to the mix of the hops and the malts maybe (?). Lots of hops beats my palete pretty hard. Some nuttiness comes through as well as rasberry chocolate maybe. Pretty complex IMO.

Feel is a bit of alcohol that hits the palete and a nice full-bodied brew, probably better suited for early spring than early summer. A heavy brew with some nice life to it! Great taste and wonderful too drink!

06-07-2005 00:42:58 | More by Fish113d
JackTheRipper

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Served on cask @ Fatheads in Pittsburgh.
A: Dark brown, some ruby highlights. Smallish head that dissipates all too quickly, but leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: Nice, if expected, mild coffee aromas. Malts in the nose could have been a bit bolder. Mild hop aroma.

T: Surprisingly hoppy! The higher level of hops plays well with the sweet porter taste. Solid malt base. Just a ton of hops here!.

M: Smooth and creamy and served at just the right temperature. Very low CO2. Alcoholic warmth seemed a bit higher than it should be. Very strong alcohol feel.

D&N: The hoppiest porter I've so far encountered. That's a very nice twist. The high alcohol feel could have been a bit less and this would have scored higher. Also, the body was a bit thin. Fix those things and the five's would be flying for this beer. Very nice and highly recommended.

06-02-2005 19:03:16 | More by JackTheRipper
weeare138

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

On cask at the Drafint Room in Exton.
Appears a dark brownish black with a thick tan head and scattered lacing.
Smell is of huge whiffs of delicious, warm caramel malts.
Taste is creamy, light with definite crystal and caramel malts dominating the flavor.
The mouthfeel is slightly watery with a mildly sweet finish. Seems to be sweet up front with a slow linger towards the back of the tongue.

Finger licking good.

06-02-2005 18:51:48 | More by weeare138
stingo

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

What a great beer - everything a porter should be. Tangy dark roasted, bitter, chocolatey goodness that is light on the tongue and the stomach. The name seems particularly wellchosen it plies a course around the perils of becoming too much like a stout, and of not being much of anything at all. Definitely recommended if you can find it.

05-30-2005 22:09:36 | More by stingo
blitheringidiot

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Dark light evaporating pour into a consumption inviting pint glass at the good ole Grey Lodge Pub.

Scents of discernable porter are prevalent. Lightly toasted but not too roasted malts.

First swigs: Deep molasses malts. True to style and spot on crisp porter. This is a quality product! Just falls short of the stout mark as a porter should.

Medium body character with a friendly finish.

Last swigs: A great example of what a porter can and should be, folks. Use this one to settle the age old argument of where a porter ends and a stout begins.

Go John and Chris!

04-25-2005 10:45:29 | More by blitheringidiot
Foxman

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

It came to me a deep, rich brown, bordering on ebony, letting little specks of light glint through. A finger's worth of light brown head lingered some time, and loops of lacing worked down the inside of the glass.

The aroma brought the deep tone of roasted malt, wafting a slight burnt sugar note along with a mocha presence. The hops gave up a zesty pine/citrus air.

Upon sipping, the crispy roasted malt sweetness delivered a coffee/chocolate duet to the palate, in company with notes of cherry, and perhaps even anise. The hops came across with a slightly resinous pine and grapefruit paring that cleansed the back and sides of the tongue. The lingering of the sweetness and bitterness left a fine legacy in the mouth. It was perhaps hoppier than expected, but not after smelling it. It's balanced, but with a nice real presence in both camps.

Medium bodied, the sweetness of the malt and oily hops character combined to cling just long enough to the palate before slipping away.

Simply, this is one damned good beer. A bit more than you might expect out of a porter, it nonetheless gives you something to remember, because sometimes more is indeed better. The balance and manageable ABV make this pretty much a session beer for those times when something darker is called for. Maybe not one of the biggest stars in the sky, but I would never feel shortchanged in ordering another of these.

04-23-2005 18:18:22 | More by Foxman
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Sampled just last night on tap at Max's on Broadway.
Poured dark brown/black in color with a nice tan head. Pretty good lacing throughout the pint.
Had the typical roasted malts and chocolate that one would expect from a fine porter.
This is a full flavored, full bodied brew with sweet roasted malts intermingled with bitter chocolates and coffee. Finished pretty dry and slightly bitter.
Creamy, smooth and highly drinkable. I can't seem to find a bad beer that Troeg's makes.

04-23-2005 15:00:47 | More by Dithyramb