Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Dead Reckoning PorterTröegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-17-2003)
JamesS

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Great porter! It had a wonderful dark body with a dark head. A wonderful robust scent with strong coffee hints. It went down very smooth. Excellent taste, dark and full with hints of coffee here as well. Slightly bitter, but perfect for a porter. One of the best porters I've had.

09-16-2007 19:26:19 | More by JamesS
EStreet20

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

12 ounce bottle, 20 ounce nonic.

A - Nearly opaque brown that shines through with a tan color when held to the light. Full two fingers of fluffy looking off white head. Heas has nice staying power, shrinking but lasting till the end of my glass and leaving a few nice rings of lacing.

S - Actually leads a lot of hop aroma. Nice citrsuy smell. Then gives way to a nice soft roastiness.

T - Really a great, balanced porter. MAny have complained of it being overly hoppy but I think it's got that distinct "Troegs" hoppy taste. That rush of hops is complemented by some chocolatey malt.

M - Medium bodied and smooth. Just the right carbonation.

D - Excellent. Got a great flavor, rather unique for a porter in that the hops are so noticeable. Also has great sessionability at 5.4 ABV.

Notes: Wish I wasn't working tommorrow. Might be THE BEST session porter I've ever tasted. The flavor is so unexpected for the style, but still fits well.

09-14-2007 02:11:54 | More by EStreet20
mobud

Delaware

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into pint glass from bottle.

A- Dark brown with a medium head and little to not retention.

S- Roasted malts and a heavy hoppy backround.

T- Dark chocolate and a stronger than expected hop flavor.

M- Medium to heavy mouthfeel.

D- Very drinkable for my tastes. More towards a brown ale with its stronger hops taste and less focus on the malt end. Different, but I am ok with this beer and will seek it out again.

09-11-2007 23:34:56 | More by mobud
musicjustintime

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

First whiff....PURE HOPS! Pours a nice dark brown with a tan head. Very nice lacing all the way down, too...but maybe 'cause I used one of my new Sam Adams glasses that BA was so nice to give us founding subscribers?! Anyway, I don't like too much hops, as I always say. They DO have their place, but this "porter" was waaaay too hopped up. Very typical of Troegs.. Really tasted like all hops with the smallest, faintest hint of chocolate malt in the very background. As the beer warmed, though, the hops were dulled down a bit, and the other flavors came through better. I love to support the locals...but this is one I'll pass on in the future. Their Nut Brown is much better, as is the Troegenator! Those are my two very favorites from Troegs...and my buddy's as well. Mad Elf isn't too bad, either. All the others seem way too hoppy. If you can try this for free...I'd do it. Otherwise, don't expect a normal porter with this one. Not my cup of tea. Think I'd rather have a cup of tea...with some brandy. SAAALUTE and cheers my BA friends!

09-11-2007 22:11:37 | More by musicjustintime
MmmIPA

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Now Ive been wanting to try this beer for a while and I finally got a chance too.I like it because Troegs kicks ass and in the George Romero movie Land of the dead, the vehicle was called Dead reckoning and I love porters.So there ya go lets crack it open.

Pitch black body with some red highlights to it.Thick tan head that takes its good ole time going down but as it does it leaves sexy lacing.

Smell of fresh hops and chocolate.

Taste is hops,and plenty of them then leads to malt then to chocolate.

The mouthful is a tab bit watery but its a new beer so that may change as they tweak the recipe.

I like this beer but they need to tone down the hops a bit and let the melt and hop balance happen naturally.This is a IPA not a porter,besides the color of the body nothing else really makes this a porter IMO.Too much hops Troegs.Good beer though

09-09-2007 22:14:50 | More by MmmIPA
cichief

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Bought a six-pack at Astor's Beer and Liquors in Laurel, MD.

A- Pours a deep brown, almost opaque , with a nice tan head.

S- Smells of coffee and malt, a really fresh, malty porter, with dry hop finish.

T- Tastes rather of chocolate with a dry hop finish, a tasty beer.

M- Well carbonated, medium body, fully envelopes the tongue.

D- A very drinkable, dryish, porter. Not as malty-sweet as many American porters.

09-09-2007 03:57:36 | More by cichief
imasickboy

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured beautifully from a bottle into a pint glass.

Two finger head, dense, and almost creamy. At bottoms up, the glass was nicely laced. The beer was a deep, chocolaty brown.

The herbal/floral scent of the hops immediately hit me. I wasn't quite expecting that. Coffee and chocolate aromas, as expected, were present.

It was pretty smooth in the mouth, with only a trace of bitterness. It seemed to thicken in my mouth as it warmed.

The malt flavor was primarily coffee-ish, with just a hint of a caramel flavor, along with a good dose of fresh hop flavor. Not nearly as heavy-feeling as I anticipated, thus allowing for the possibility of consuming many more.

As a rule, I don't particularly like porters, but this one was outstanding, and I will definitely be drinking many more of them, since Troegs is local to me.

09-08-2007 16:42:09 | More by imasickboy
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours dark brown (almost black) with a thin tan head. Trailing lace sticks to glass.

The smell is of roasted coffee and chocolate with citric fruitiness and some resin.

The taste is of roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. It has a strong hop presence - citric, floral, slightly resiny. This is one hoppy porter, with the Chinook hops working very well together with the barley and chocolate malts. There's a touch of smoke on the long, bittersweet finish.

Medium to full bodied - right on target for an American Porter. A great aftertaste clings to the palate. It has a creamy, silky texture.

This is an AWESOME porter! Hefty malts and hops with a Troegs touch - DELICIOUS! This is a must-try for "hop-heads" who also like porters!

Thanks to nacir69 for this one!

09-08-2007 16:26:07 | More by jwc215
edskirk3

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Troegs is one of my favorite breweries and I always relish the opportunity to a try one of their beers, especially a new one. The bottle that I purchased was filled on July 26 of this year, according to the stamp on the neck. Track #070703 if that means anything to you.

The label art features a hand coming out of the sea holding a compass. If you look closely into the swirling blue sea, you can see the word TROEGS hidden in there. OK now on to this bottle's contents.

Pours into my pint glass 99% opaque with FAINT garnet highlights around the edges. It sits there still and heavy and yet inviting with a creamy Guinnessesque head.

A unique citrus-mint cocoa aroma emanates from the glass. This further piques my curiosity.

I don't know where to start when describing the flavors. It reminds me of a dry stout at first, but the subtle complexities of this porter slowly reveal themselves with each sip. Pine. Citrus. Milk chocolate. Sweetened coffee. A delicate creaminess. And a dry finish with a lingering sensation of cappuccino afterwards. I wish I bought more than one.

What a nice surprise this was. I can see Andes mints as a good pairing.

09-07-2007 05:08:53 | More by edskirk3
mntlover

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a hazy reddish brown good looking brew. Sporting a big fluffy khaki head that lasts and leaves gobs of lace down my glass. Very tasty looking brew.

Aroma is woo nice hoppy citrus some piney hints big on hops for a porter but great for a hop head like me. Roasted malts mostly chocolate but really hard to tell as the hops over shadow the malt.

Taste is like the aroma lots of hops piney flavors with a citrus edge that leaves a lingering grapefruit rind flavor. Some roasted malt is noted mostly chocolate with some coffee flavors that blend with the hoppy bitterness. Finish comes off with lingering bitterness and roasted malt coffee that lingers.

Mouthfeel is starts out good light medium with good carbonation level. Only knock is it seems to lighten up in the finish, to almost become watery feeling, not tasting in anyway.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable brew, big on hops would like to see how it is after hops mellow. Being a hop head I like it, if your more a traditionalist you will find it way to hoppy for the style. But that being said I like this one.

09-07-2007 01:16:32 | More by mntlover
tgbljb

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured a deep reddish-brown color with moderate tannish head that quickly fell to a thin coating with sparse lacing.
Smell is very unique. roaste malt combined with piney, grassy hops is different, and extremely enjoyable.
Taste is superb. The sweetness from the malt, the coffeee and chocolate notes, the dark fruitiness, the bitter hops all blend together perfectly.
Finishes with a taste mixing the chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and hops in nice proportions.
Great beer, really unique. easy to drink, easy to session.

09-06-2007 22:41:08 | More by tgbljb
Phatz

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I recently had Scratch 2 and now with Dead Reckoning Tröegs is really doing something new with their porters.

I first had this beer at the State College Brew-fest and my thoughts at the time were that it is too hoppy for a porter and too thin for a porter. I had it again at a tasting and decided to agree with myself. Now, sitting here with a bottle of my own I am deciding this is a good beer (not really a good "porter") but a tasty treat.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful chocolate brown with a large thick light brown head in my SA BL glass. The retention on that thick foam a-top my beer is nothing less than impressive. I had to impatiently stick my nose through the heavy foam. Eventually it recedes and leaves the walls of the glass plastered with sheets of lace.

Smell: I think this dark IPA needs a style of it's own, though I understand the hop bitterness range is quite wide in this style. The only time I have ever smelled something like this is in my own homemade Black and Tans (except maybe Alpha Klaus Xmas Porter). This is an IPA aroma of fresh hops, big pine flavors fill the nose with the cocoa, chocolate, toffee and dark malt taking a back seat.

Taste: It is bitter. A balance of fires pine and hop resin bitter and espresso burnt coffee bitter, but this sucker is bitter. I like it. The citrus flavor leads fades there is a black coffee bitterness left on the cheeks. The burps are all pine. The beer has an undertone of porter attributes with burntness, dark malts and grains and a coffee element. The fish is very dry and astringent.

Mouthfeel: My biggest complaint (and it is a small one) I would have like to see a better density to this beer. It does seem a bit thin, even watery at time and though the body is light the and the hops do cover for it some I would have liked a slightly heavier malt back bone. NOTE: This is a very minor criticism of an otherwise very tasty beer.

Drinkability: I could and would easily session this beer. Its unique style doesn't do it for me though so it really won't enter my regular rotation of beers. I like the hoppyness in my IPAs and then I like to switch to the roastyness. This is a novelty beer for me at the moment. Time will tell. I have a case coming.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

09-06-2007 05:07:29 | More by Phatz
NJpadreFan

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%

Tröegs- Dead Reckoning

Appearance- Dark murky reddish brown with a thick meringue head. Big lacing rings left on the glass.
Smell- Big sweet creamy coffee and cocoa with a big hit of pine hops!?
Taste- Smooth creamy coffee/ cocoa with an equal dose of fresh green pine hops.
Mouthfeel- Sweet smooth and creamy up front with a big hoppy dry kick in the end.

Overall- Holy Sh!t this was good! A Porter meets an IPA maybe?! I don't know. All I care is this was smooth, creamy, and hoppy!!
Awesome stuff, that just hit the shelves near me (9-1-07)

09-05-2007 20:50:44 | More by NJpadreFan
dedrinker

Kansas

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

Wow. What happened? It was fresh, so this is fair. This "porter" poured a murky dark brown with rusty/ red algae hues around the edges of the glass. Smells faintly of roasted and crystal malts. Tasted like a brown ale with caramel and light roast malt flavors balanced by hops. Finishes with hop bitterness and a little more of the afore-mentioned malts. No decent coffee or chocolate notes like most porters I've had, but I don't think this could be called a porter by any stretch. It was like a mediocre brown ale eloped with a mediocre porter and had a homely baby. I had higher hopes for this one, because I am a fan of their oatmeal stout, so I know they have the skill to bring on the darkness. Do over!

09-03-2007 01:27:22 | More by dedrinker
KFaulkner

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Just as a disclaimer, Troegs is my favorite brewery (a hometown hero of sorts) and the Trogner brothers' dedication and skill in brewing world class beers notwithstanding, I review this beer as impartially as possible.

Pour a dark brown into a pint glass with a cloudy opaque body. This beer is unfiltered.

It smells sweet but robust, with scents of chocolate and burnt oak. The foamy head quickly recedes to a filmy layer of whispy lace. The first taste is smooth, and creamy, but has a hoppier back end than most porters which is a welcome characteristic.

It's easy to drink, delicious and the perfect beer for the changing seasons. It's great to see a porter rolled out by Troegs in preparation for its colder season beers like Oatmeal Stout and the fan-favorite Mad Elf. Now if only Pennsylvania would start selling six packs... but that's another story.

Troegs official website has this beer listed at 5.8% ABV. I have submitted a change request based on this info.

According to this site it is also a seasonal release as opposed to a rotating release and that it is currently replacing its Oatmeal Stout for the year rather than supplementing it. More info on their Oatmeal Stout to follow.

09-02-2007 19:48:27 | More by KFaulkner
genog

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a murky, dark chocolaty brown color. Head is a foamy off white/tan color that does not hang around for very long. Smell is of sweet malty flavors with some roasted aroma coming through as well. Taste is bitter coffee and dark chocolate and some toffee, roasted flavors. I also taste some bittering hops which is kinda cool for this style too. Watery and carbonated leave a full mouth feel on this one too.

09-01-2007 02:17:36 | More by genog
meatyard

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance is a dark, chocolate brown with just a bare minimum of light at the edges.
The head is a light brown, thick foamy one with a bit of lacing.
The smell is of some hops and chocolate caramel.
It tastes like roasted chocolate malt with some hops following that. Alittle different but very interesting.
Mouthfeel is thick at first then lightens up to a more medium feel.
Drinkability is good, it goes quite quickly as you try to figure it out.

This is a very pleasant beer even if it doesn't quite suit all of what you'd expect from a good porter.

08-31-2007 22:27:14 | More by meatyard
franksnbeans

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a muddy chocolate milk brown with visible sediment and a creamy head that retains before dying to a thin layer. Laces nicely. Smells a little of roasted coffee bean, hint of chocolate. Tastes rich with chocolate, coffee bean and a bitterness bite of hops. Very smooth in the mouth, dangerously smooth. Drinkability is huge, not thick, not syrupy, jusssst right. I must admit I went into this one blindly with no expectations and came out with an awesome brew that I will put in the starting lineup. A must try.

08-30-2007 05:22:24 | More by franksnbeans
BlindPig

4.38/5  rDev +15%

A- Thick tan head on a muddy brown body.
S- Some grass hops, chocolate, and roasted malts. Pretty bland aroma. The hops do stand out more so than malt IMO.
T- Really hoppy for a porter first off. Chocolate, roasted malts, a lot of bittering hops but not really strong in the flavor. Dry bitterness in the aftertaste with a blend of light roasted flavors, and some coffee. Really nice and interesting flavor to it.
M- Medium with low carbonation. A light silk feel to it.
D- I think this is a really tasty beer and a nice different flavor. I would enjoy some more of these (hints to Todd1 who hooked me up with this bottle in the first place). If I could find this hear I think I would have quite a few 6-packs of it.

08-30-2007 03:38:33 | More by BlindPig
jjayjaye

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours an almost opaque brown darkness with a short wispy light tan head that fades slowly. A good amount of lacing, some 3D. It even smells DARK! A mild roasted malt and coffee aroma. It smells like it's going to be creamy, but that's not the case, IMO. Medium bodied, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated and conditioned by a major tingle from the hop that leads into a genuine bitterness in the flavor. The roasted malt taste is at first masked by the complexity of what's going on with the mouth bitterness. There is a delayed transition to the coffee flavor finish that lingers significantly. Interesting beverage. I can only manage one of these at a siting.

08-23-2007 22:18:02 | More by jjayjaye
MaltyGoodness

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz. bottle

Pours a dark chestnut brown with a small tan head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is roasty with cocoa and coffee and a nice, mild citrus hop aroma.

Quite roasty upfront with dark cocoa and espresso tones. Leads into a nice bitterness and mild citrus hop flavor. Finishes with a lingering roasted flavor with a hint of hops. Well balanced.

Medium-full body, solid carbonation.

Overall, a very solid and robust porter. It's hard to stop with just one, and no need to with the moderate ABV. Just what you would expect from Troegs, especially considering they are using it as a replacement for their delicious oatmeal stout.

08-23-2007 03:41:18 | More by MaltyGoodness
jockstrappy

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Retired no more!!! The new fall seasonal!

Pours a hazy cola-like color with a creamy tan head that leaves a soap like lace. Roasted chocolate malts in the nose with a fruity hop note and a touch of smokiness. Taste begins with a nutty / chocolate flavor, with a slight hop undertone. A smokey malt flavor becomes more apparent as the beer warms. Sticky finish with a roasted malt aftertaste....perfect for the cooler nights ahead. I am thrilled with this beer! I don't have that much experience with porters, but this one is great! Nice change of pace from the masses of Octoberfest beers!

08-17-2007 00:26:29 | More by jockstrappy
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Son you better recognize...that's right recognize the fact that not every brewery out there has to make an O fest as their fall seasonal. Now alot of us beer kin out there are a little hurt right now over the fact that they decided to discontinue their Oatmeal Stout, but this blast from the past draft/cask offering is something worth drinking for sure.

Poured out into my ol' Heavyweight "please lift with both hands" pint glass that I love and cherish. Forms a cloudy hazed mahogany definitely has an unfitered look going on very reminiscient of the cask style I used to drink at the Sharp Edge Creek house big ass chunky tan head dwindles slow forms that thick even lacing all around and does a great job of staying around with each sip in a very annular ring fashion.

Aromatics come correct with the Chinooks and Vanguards bursting through a clouded hookah room bringing out exoctic blends of cocoa powder and dry dark chocolate bars and a really tea leafy greeness with herbal hoppiness a flowing all about. Very mild iced cappucino creaminess still the hops shine.

Flavor not over ridden with those dark roasty bitter flavors yet a blend of dark cocoa and Bailey's spiked coffee tones arise. Digging deeper a touch of anise with herbal minty hops and raw herbaceous tobacco like leafy earthiness with moderate to strong hop bitterness and flavor all day. Blends so well doesn't let the chocolate or dark roasts overpower and for those of us who dig Chinooks this beer let's them shine.

My palate appreciates the light texture that this drinking porter has to offer I served it up at right around cask temp and it brings me back to those past experiences that I can't let go. A medium bodied porter with ample carbonation definitely not as fluffy and creamy as the cask version but as fuckin' close as I've experienced in the bottle great texture.

Case worthy and affordable at that damn good session porter that I will definitely be drinking while in season. Do I miss the oatmeal stout already??? Of course, but why worry about that beer when this brew will have me occupied well into the winter months.

08-14-2007 17:13:55 | More by WVbeergeek
shertz

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

This is the new offering from the Troeg's Bros and different than the old Dead Reckoning Porter. This one weighs in at 5.8%. This will replace the Oatmeal Stout as the fall seasonal. Poured from undated bottle into a Pint Glass.

A- Three finger head quickly falls one finger. Carmel brown in color.
Minimal lacing.

S- Roasted nuts/Chocolate grab my nose hairs first followed by hints of hops. I would say the Chocolate is the prominent feature here.

T- Smooth and creamy Chocolate taste. Burnt nuts follow. Wow, very nice. Can taste the hint of the hops in background. Very, very nice.

M- Rather thick, with med carbonation. Has some slickness to it. Grabs your tonsuls a little on the way down. I think it would be even better if I would let it warm a little, just don't have the patience to wait. Really nice.

D- At 5.8%, could drink plenty of these. Would be a nice dessert beer. I've never had the old, but certainly do like this new style. Saw cases of this yesterday, maybe have to pick one up. Yummy.

Enjoy and Cheers,
Scott

08-12-2007 20:44:13 | More by shertz
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Super fresh cask at sharp edge. I also sampled this one on draught at the brewery, but I preferred this cask sample, and so i'll enter this review from my notes into the db here. Anyway, this one is very dark cocoa, brown, nearly opaque with a wonderful cascading head of casky, wish-washy, tan foam. The beer settles into a beautiful looking pint and the head lasts well and leaves wonderful lacing for a cask offering. Aromas are all dark roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, and caramel with some nice green, dank hops as well. Upfront taste is roasty, bitter, and almost astringent with soem lactic properties creeping in as well. The alpha acids and resiny flavor of the hops really make this one come together nicely. Very hoppy and super roasty, this one is the best of both worls with a wonderful cask mouthfeel, which is medium bodied and well structured. Drinkability is amazing as well. The brothers are damn proud of this one, as they should be, a real stand-out from a brewery that seems to have several stand-outs! Superb.

07-29-2005 06:01:17 | More by francisweizen