Tröegs Dead Reckoning Porter - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Dead Reckoning PorterTröegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
dgb3

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My first Troegs beer. Thanks sacullen119!

Pours almost opaque with an cm worth off white head. Leaves beautiful lacing around the SA Perfect Pint glass it was poured into.

The aroma is... almost nonexistant. There's a sharpness in the nose that I cant place.

Light charred wood to open it up with a nice hoppy finish that gives way to a subtle roasted coffee and chocolate.

Great mouthfeel makes this one very easy to enjoy. If the finish was a little lighter I think it'd rank higher in it's sessionability, but I'd have another if given the opportunity.

02-18-2010 03:56:39 | More by dgb3
bob3701

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Very dark chestnut brown almost opaque. Nice thick creamy head that hangs around for a while and has pretty good lacing. Very strong malty aroma. Very smooth in the mouth with a slight bitter aftertaste. Roasted malts are the dominating flavor. All in all a very good example of a porter.

02-14-2010 18:05:39 | More by bob3701
maximum12

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to mikey711 for dropping this extra into a recent trade. Porters have become my go-to, relaxing, non-big-beer brews, & that's what I'm feeling right now.

Pours a warm deep brown, which is like black, but less dense. Lace is for weddings, IMHO. Smell is come-hither nice, plenty of hop in the mix of the sweetness coming out of the snifter.

Dead Reckoning has a very strong coffee character up front. Out the back comes roasted malts, almost bitter roast, that leaks on into the hop bitterness. There's a hop boom lowered at the end that complements the coffee, but it's not a high complement. More of a "You look nice tonight" kind of thing, not "Damn!"

Mouthfeel is less smooth, more biting & astringent than your standard porter. Each sip, after the tastes have come & gone, leave the mouth coated in a lather of coffee grounds. One & done for me.

Pretty good brew. Solid porter with some distinct coffee characteristics & a strong hop presence. If you like that combo, you'll like this beer.

02-12-2010 02:37:12 | More by maximum12
morimech

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours very dark, almost black in color, with two inches of mocha colored head that has very good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. The glass repels the lacing of this beer, just leaves a little sticky lacing. This has a very good porter aroma. Hints of chocolate, dark malt, and a touch of hops. Good flavor with some bitterness upfront followed by milk chocolate and coffee. Just slight hint of citrus from the hops. The flavor borders the line between porter and stout with the roasted malt aspect. The body is good and the only thing limiting the score is that the slightly watery texture. A very good porter with some hop character. Easy drinking and a nice low ABV.

02-10-2010 23:21:15 | More by morimech
AndyAvalanche

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pours a dark brown color with with sort of roasted almond edges and walnut brown when held up to the light. This beer produces a large creamy looking head that sticks around and gives excellent lacing. Dead Reckoning is one very good looking beer. The smell wasn't quite what I expected. It's not bad, but the hops are what stand out the most, but not to strong. The malts are a little more difficult to detect, smells more like an ale than a porter in my opinion. When we move to the taste however it's a big step up. I actually placed it at a 4.5 but elected to move it down to a 4. I figured it was more because I was so delighted at the flavor after being a little dissapointed by the smell. The malts are much more easy to distinguish in the taste, initially sweet, and I almost feel like I can pick up something extra, almost like a vanilla flavor, but I can't completely put my finger on it. The hops completely take over from that point on, providing a very nice aftertaste from the hops. Call me crazy but it tastes more like a citrusy than piny in my opinion. The mouthfeel is pretty good, but I think it could be a little heavier for a porter, it's pretty light. I know it's an American porter but I feel like this could be a little more robust and smokey still. It makes up for it in the drinkablity category though, an extremely drinkable porter, or beer in general. Got it in a mix a six and I'd get a six pack of this by itself, I could go for another one tonight. A good year round porter.

02-03-2010 22:49:38 | More by AndyAvalanche
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Poured a very, very, dark brown with almost no head. Very minor carbonation.

S - A very typical porter nose with some coffee and caramel.

T - a lot of coffee right off the bat, with toasted malts. Some chocolate comes through as well. A very nice well balanced porter.

M - Light to medium body; I prefer a little more body in my porters.

D - A nice porter. I would buy it again but certainly wouldn't seek it out.

02-03-2010 04:28:58 | More by TheSevenDuffs
Katahdin

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

pours rich and dark as you would expect of a porter. The surprise comes in the initial taste. Full blown hoppiness much like a Double IPA masquerading as a porter. Yet after a bit of a struggle the taste and texture settled down into the smooth creaminess of a porter. If you are like me and like porters but don't like IPA's then stay away, there are a lot better porters out there even though this finishes nice.

02-02-2010 20:06:10 | More by Katahdin
Stimack

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Brew poured to a deep brown color with a fair sized medium tan head that has good retention with fair lacing. The aroma comes across as roasted malts, some coffee and chocolate aroma is there as well. Hop notes come through as slightly pine like, nice accompaniment to the malts. Nice roasted malt flavor, dark chocolate comes out with a slight coffee flavor. Hop end is nice, sticks around at the back of the mouth and adds a nice bitterness as well as flavor. Finishes pretty dry and I think is enhanced by the residual hop presence. Hops give both pine as well as some citrus flavors. Has a nice feel but could have a slightly thicker. Overall this is a nice brew, I would get this again if readily available in this area. Glad to come across it and give it a try. Once again, another excellent Troegs offering.

02-02-2010 19:05:05 | More by Stimack
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle left here from bobsy, bout time someone drank it! Pours an almost black with a finger of creamy head which slowly dies and leaves some nice lacing.

Nose has some nice citrus hopping, a bit of roast and coffee.

Not overly bold or heavy on the roast. Toast and roast, hint of coffee and dark chocolate, some nice fresh citrus hopping adds a juicy quality, due to lightness of roast perhaps more like a black IPA or APA in style (if that is indeed a style), some light drying in the finish.

Pretty quaffable, though not overly memorable. Would gladly order this with a meal, would be quite nice, low ABV makes this drinkable to a high level.

01-31-2010 04:21:56 | More by ritzkiss
rfgetz

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a muddy, greyish black color, minimal head, retention and lacing. Smell is earthy, smokey, chocolaty, dark roasted grains with a whiff of hops. Taste is pretty straight forward repeat of the scent, a touch earthy, grainy and bitter bite at the end that sticks around a touch too long on the palate. A nice porter, but a touch thin and bitter for my tastes.

01-21-2010 23:47:01 | More by rfgetz
SShelly

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

An extra from a trade...

Pours dark brownish black with a nice off white poof of head.

Aroma is roasty with a little chocolate and coffe.

First thought on tasting this is "damn thats bitter" and it doesnt stop...some nice chocolate and coffe behind the bitterness but you have to really search for it.

not my favorite porter, not bad neccesarily just not that enjoyable.

01-16-2010 23:02:26 | More by SShelly
countrocula

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into Guinness cheater pint lagniappe.

Flume that streams from the bottle mouth is dark but transparent. Not what I was expecting when I read "unfiltered" on the package. Nice diner Lacas coffee hue. Head develops as a nice toasted marshmallow and stays around for awhile.

I see some have paid $11.50 for this in a 6. I paid $7.00 including tax so mine may have been old, which could explain the the quaint sourdough bread/dirty dishtowel aroma. Beyond that is brown sugar, malt, slight astringent hop in the nose.

Taste is a velvet chocolate with a slight alcohol warmth. Nice hoppy bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel is good but not good. Good in that it's relatively thing and quiclly dissipating for excellent sessioning. Not good in the fact that TODAY I wanted something a bit more cloying and stick to your ribs.

I could kill this 6 in about an hour as I am thirsty. Totally conditional though. I'd never kick this out of bed, but there are other porters out there that float my boat a bit better overall.

01-05-2010 17:55:29 | More by countrocula
scottg

Vermont

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

from thecarster1 as part of the Review This! BIF
12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours black with a two finger cream colored head with good retention and thick lacing. Aromas of brown sugar, chocolate, nuts, raisins and whiskey. Alcohol flavor up front, whiskey like, with roasted malt, coffee, sour cherry and chocolate with some lemon and a whiskey like finish. Medium body and carbonation, slighlty thin. There is a nice balance to the flavors with each taking turn as the lead. The thin mouthfeel is disappointing in any otherwise very nice beer.

01-04-2010 05:01:06 | More by scottg
BeerResearcher

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
It pours a very deep amber-hued dark chocolate color with a thin tan head on top and some wispy lacing.
The aroma has a proper Porter-like chocolate, coffee and malty smell. There's a faint whiff of cut hay and spruce, with little citrusy notes.
A nice full bodied chocolate malt is up front. Mild flavors of coffee and grapefruit citrus pair nicely. A light alcoholic fuminess is noticed, but not in an obtrusive way.
This brew, while boldly flavored, is very drinkable and liquid.
This will make a nice after sauna or workout body and mind refresher.
The $11.49 price for a sixer is a bit steep.

01-02-2010 23:38:46 | More by BeerResearcher
kiddynamite920

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured a nice dark brown, appears to be a darker brown in the glass. Nice frothy head that seems to want to hang out for a bit. Very creamy looking.

S: Getting a plum and fig aroma, some raisins. Evident alcohol aroma as well. Doesn't smell similar to many porters I've had. Nice dark malt profile with some barely citrusy hops.

T: Pretty roasty and a bit cloying. Somewhat bitter. Coffee and dry cocoa are present. Mildly robust porter. Flavor could use a kick.

M: A tad thin for my porter preference. I like them thick and robust. A bit thin and crisp for a porter.

D: Very drinkable porter, good standard flavor with a roasty bite at the end.

12-31-2009 08:03:37 | More by kiddynamite920
llllDrGONZOllll

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Glass

This is a very tasty porter most likely the best I have ever consumed. It reminds me of a hoppy brown or a black IPA.the mouthfeel is a bit thin compared all other ports. This will make it easier to have more that one in a sitting but deviates from style a wee bit. I have to say the dark roasty flavor makes me wanna add hops to my morning coffee. The aromas however seem to be lacking. When i pass this one out I can see my pals giving it a wiff and I tell them just taste it. Carmel malt roasted barley and bitter hops take the main stage. A bready character comes out in the finish leaving you with a small amount of sour hops. All of the usual suspects are present for a stout or port and so much more. Troegs needs to have a year round stout/porter I wish this was it, needless to say I will be awaiting this every fall only.

12-28-2009 21:33:47 | More by llllDrGONZOllll
OatmattStout

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +1%

solid porter here.

poors dark and good head that disipates leaving light lace.

nose roasted malts

taste dark roasted malts and nice hop dryness. had a coco powder chocolate undertone which was nice.

some people complained about thin mouthfeel but it is right on for the style. a session easy drinking porter here that i will get again.

12-21-2009 01:24:35 | More by OatmattStout
rayjay

Hawaii

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Not sure why but my review of this beer is missing so here's take 2

Appearance is thin and watery. I have only seen this this bad in heavily oxidized beers, and this doesn't smell oxidized. 1/2 point for retention and foam, but otherwise it's murky, hazy, and reminiscent of pond water. Looks like a beer bloody mary with extra horseradish.

The roasted barley gets in the way here, and the mouthfeel is a bit too thin. I am wishing there was a bit more camel malt for balance, or a higher mash temp. The chocolate malts taste special, like possibly floor malts. Mild hopping is just right, you can tell they are high alpha but work well.

Okay, but needs improvement. Cheers.

12-20-2009 19:01:22 | More by rayjay
tattooedtolley

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Man was I excited to see this porter from Troegs. I immediately poured the black beer into a glass and to my surprise it was wicked fizzy and seemed thin. The fizz really killed any sort of flavor it may have had. At first I assumed it was some take on a baltic porter but as I continued I started to doubt that. Maybe I got a bunk beer I think, I have another and its the same. I'm not ruling out that I may have had a bad 6'er but maybe it just wasn't for me. I'll give a go again next time I see it and I'll edit this rating if its a different experience.

12-16-2009 02:29:46 | More by tattooedtolley
aaronh

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Nearly black body topped by a thick tan head. The head slowly fades and leaves a ring of lace. Lace continues to develop as I drink the beer. Aroma is great - vanilla, dark chocolate, caramelized sugars and a note of herb. Flavor is mostly bitter at first, then a bit of bitter chocolate sweeps in followed by a touch of sweet molasses. subsequent sips reveal smoky, dark malts and more piney notes. Mouthfeel is smooth, carbonation is perfect. Drinkability is also good. A very nice offering from the brothers.

12-11-2009 23:15:03 | More by aaronh
MrDanno96

3.43/5  rDev -10%

A: Pours a deep, deep brown color (you can only tell it's brown if you hold it to light). Tan head that didn't stick around very long. Good amount of foamy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Earthy, sweet smelling malts. A little coffee, some dark fruit, and milk chocolate as well. Nothing spectacular, but still good.

T: Lots of roasted and chocolate malt up front leads to a bitter coffee finish. Some bitter hops are also detectable. The bitterness lingers a little longer than I would like, but overall it's pretty solid.

M: Medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. I could use just a bit more body.

D: Overall I would say this is a decent porter. Nothing spectacular jumped out at me, but no real complaints either. It's pretty easy drinking and could easily be sessioned, especially at 5.4%.

12-10-2009 02:27:42 | More by MrDanno96
donkeyrunner

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Looks like a porter: dark brown/black with a tan head. Not quite opaque. Good retention and spiffy lace.

Aroma is wood rot earth (I like that), dark grain, burnt brown sugar and a sweaty fenugreek-like sour meandering through it all.

Bitter. Chocolate malt roast bitter up front with a nice hop bitter thrown in for good measure. Settles into a wooden hazelnut nut brown then fades into a lingering char. Wandering citrus hop oil that I don't like but kinda do.

I didn't like this beer when I first had it but I've grown it love it. You know, I think about you when you're not around. Check my facebook to see if you've left a message on my wall. I think about you Dead Reckoning, that's all.

12-08-2009 15:21:26 | More by donkeyrunner
brentk56

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Pours a dark chocolate color with a frothy tan head that leaves a decent amount of lacing

Smell: While I keep sniffing for the dark roasty elements, the hoppy aspect keeps getting in the way; finally, I determined that there is a balance between the two

Taste: Opens with a rather fruity, hoppy flavor that is joined by the roasty chocolate elements at mid-palate; after the swallow, the bitterness tends to keep foiling every attempt for the porter to assert itself but that is not a bad thing for those who like a hoppy porter

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Could easily be categorized as a dark IPA as it is a porter, this is quite a nice beer to drink

Thanks, beandip, for the opportunity

12-07-2009 02:39:21 | More by brentk56
mirish72

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Finally picked this us as mixed six the other night. I have heard mixed things, but I usually like Troegs so I am keeping an open mind.

Pours dark, but not black with some red hues in the light. Has a burnt malt aroma, but the taste isn't as bitter as you would think. Nice lingering aftertaste. Easy to drink but this is no Edmund Fitzgerald. Not my favorite Troegs but not bad at all.

12-05-2009 03:03:04 | More by mirish72
jwhancher

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Bought a bottle and poured it into a snifter.

A: Pours jet black with a nice head that lathers the sides of the glass. Cannot see through the beer when holding my glass to light.

S: Strong chocolate & caramel flavors. Get a slight tinge of hops in the background.

T: Very chocolately smooth. Toasty malts, caramel evident.

M: Nice thick beer. Hops give a nice little tinge to the tip of the tongue.

Could be a beer for breakfast, or quite simply a beer that could be substituted for any meal. I'll be looking to buy more of this one.

12-04-2009 22:21:48 | More by jwhancher