Microbrew Invitational

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Reviews: 2,492 | Ratings: 8,373
Reviews by pmarlowe:
4.06/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Dat NN.

Bottled 020314, so two weeks old. Who knew VA got fresh hoppy beer. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber with two fingers of cream colored head, which slowly deflates leaving a thick collar and some surface head. Some lacing and very good retention.

S: Toast, malt, some light piney, maybe a little citrus hops.

T: Piney, resiny hops, moderate toast and amber malt, and light sweetness, finishing with a moderate but appropriate grippy dry bitterness.

M: Slightly slick, medium body and medium high carbonation. Decent bite.

O: Good flavors, very nice drinkability. Won't blow your socks off, and not quite as hoppy as you might hope, but still a solid everyday option.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the new 16oz cans.
One of the best beers I've had. The smell is like sticking your nose in a bag or hops and the taste reflects the smell. Crystal clear orange beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had. A serious bronze, copper, golden hue; mostly clear except a light haze; with a dense bleached white head. Difficult to want to drink--you just want to keep your nose in the glass; the aroma is that good! Serious grapefruit, grassy, and citrus characters in the aroma travels flawlessly into the flavor. Could be easily mistaken for grapefruit juice if not for a moderate, yet firm malt base. Citrus flavors with low level bitterness and bite-eyness because of the caramel barley sweetness. Smooth and silky to the mouth with a lightly alcoholic and hop drying sensation. The perfect summertime refresher and a treat for the senses at any occasion.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As stated by a previous review buy this FRESH. This was the first beer that totally blew my mind when I was introduced about 5 years ago. A tropical explosion awaits to those who suffer through winter in anticipation. The malt backbone is a bit more pronounced than in years past but it doesn't detract.

On a side note, I wish my mom would have told me that Troegs hired her to be their new graphic artist.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reminds me of Stone Pataskala Red, but with a little more balance. Great color and lacing on the pour. Nose is a malty citrus and the taste follows suit. Great mouth feel and pleasant carbonation. Very deserving of its world class rating.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with a bubbly white head. Great fruity tropical smell right off the bat then yields to an interesting clover honey like smell. Taste is very similar to the smell, juicy and honey like. Call me crazy but its like a beer version of mead in a way. What the heck do I know, anyone really going to read my reviews? Probably not but my wife likes it so much that I will probably get a fresh squeeze a little later ;)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Copper-amber color with an off-white head and a decent amount of lace.

S: Lots of hops back up by sweet amber malt.

T: Lots of hops going on here as promised. A very unique taste, and I really, really wish that more breweries would get behind this and start up the Imperial Amber style.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Hoppiness throughout.

D: Much more drinkable than the typical IPA. There's something very smooth about this one and I look forward to having it fresh again next year.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 cases of 24. 2013,14,15

Writing this review so late but remembering all of the different flavors, it is imperative to get this fresh. The first case I got of this was a first order 3 hours from the brewer. A rich blast of flavors progress into a hoppy finish that dissipates into a subtle aftertaste that leaves you craving that next swig.

Drinking this bottle now, almost a year after it's shipping., tastes like a ranky amber ale.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me of some of my favorite Ambers from WI (Capital, Sprecher), but with an aggressive hop profile. For a West Coast Hop-head, I thought it was really well done.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass:

Appearance: pours a copper-orange in color, with a completely translucent body. Nice, thick head on top, which leaves plenty of lacing while drinking.

Aroma: lots of pine, mixed in with some solid fruity notes as well. Pretty potent mango sweetness, with some bitter pineapple skin. Lots of pine.

Taste: the only issue I had here was that it finishes sooo sweet. The initial flavor is bitter piney-ness, followed up by some really nice mango. Some beers blast you with an array of fruitiness, but this one is totally focused on the mango. Finishes with some more bitterness, but also a ton of sweetness, which isn't my favorite flavor.

Feel: medium-bodied and pretty sticky on the finish. Crisp carbonation.

Overall: a very good brew. I didn't even know it was a "Red ale" until jotting down this review, although it really was more IPA than red anyway. In any case, I'd drink it again any day.

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying what apparently is a highly revered beer and I'm not into it. Looks okay...clear amber with a fluffy white head that lingers and leaves heavy lacing. Smell is unpleasant. Medicinal with some faint pine and citrus flavors. Taste is also unpleasant. Again, medicinal is the best way of describing it. The first couple sips were like biting into an aspirin, super bitter and metallic in taste (poured from a bottle, btw). About 1/4 through the glass (maybe after my taste buds adjusted) I finally started getting some piney, resinous hop flavor under all that sheer bitterness. It wasn't until about halfway through my glass (maybe after my taste buds were completely annihilated) that I finally started to get some faint hints of caramely malty sweetness. Feel is medium, somewhat creamy, and very dry on the finish. Amber ales are generally one of my favorite styles, but besides the color, I don't really see how this fits the style at all. I found it very unbalanced, very bitter, and lacking in a lot of the toasted biscuit flavors I like so much in this style. Some of the flavors were just bizarre and I'm not even sure if they were intentional. Not worth the hype, imo.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite all time beers. I look forward to the release of this beer every year. The combination of hops makes this beer really work

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

This imperial amber ale has 7.5% ABV and 95 IBUs.

Look-It pours a brilliant orange-blossom honey color with prominent copper hues. The head is frothy and khaki-colored.

Smell-It smells strongly of pine and citrus like orange, grapefruit, tangerine, mango, and papaya. The malt base comes through among the strong hop base.

Taste-It has a the pine resins come through first and then the sweetness from the malts which were a tad strong for me and then it finishes with some citrus and tropical fruits. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and rich and creamy. It isn’t too sweet that it ruins the beer, but I prefer a more mild sweetness.

Overall-It is a great beer.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear light amber color with a billowy head that sticks and laces nicely

Smell: Loads of grapefruit but there is more; floral and slightly herbal, too

Taste: The toffee malt jumps out but is quickly joined by the grapefruit, though the hops bring an herbal element, too; after the swallow, this is all about the bitterness, although there is some residual sweetness on the tongue at the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasted within two weeks of bottling, it doesn't get much better than this for hoppy beers

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Bottled 2/20/12.

Pours a clear copper/amber with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is super hoppy with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors up front with a herbal hop quality on the finish. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a wonderful hop presence in the aroma and taste.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Bottled on January 7th. A little over a week old.

Excited to have this fresh. Unfortunately this just does not live up to the hype. I have no idea why this one gets so much praise. Like Hopslam, this one probably stood out 5 years ago. Today, it just doesn't cut it.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. I've been a fan of Troegs for a long time and I miss their beers a lot since I've moved west.

The beer poured a clear, coppery-amber color, with a decent off-white head that had good retention and OK lacing. The aroma was mostly piney hops with a noticeably solid malt foundation. The flavor had that solid malt base to build upon and the hops do just that very well.

The body was solid, full and sticky in the good way. Drinkability was very good, I could have several of these with ease. I know the brewery calls this an Imperial Amber, but really this is a solidly built IPA that would be at home in any beer lovers fridge.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First case of 2016 picked up off the line at a beer store in SE PA. Agree with the last reviewer, getting this fresh is key. Great juicy hop flavor with the semi-sweet amber profile I believe works best when drinking fresh. Mouthfeel is similar to an amber with the nice hoppy bite of an imperial ipa. Very drinkable, excited to have this back in my fridge. I'll have no problem polishing off a case with my buddies this upcoming bachelor party weekend.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Solid beer, was a lil let down after all the hype

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a clear deep copper with a creamy-like white one finger head that settles slowly leaving a sheet of lace behind.Sharp citric,piney hop aromas abound there was a very noticable nutty malt character underneath as well.I like the almost creamy mouthfeel its full in body but smooth and pleasant going down.Although a big hop profile flavor wise going on its neither brash or bitter its just a long smooth piney,herbal character that lasts from beginning till end.Lightly sweet caramel malt base holds up well to the hops.It a very enjoyable beer to drink just smooth as hell and of course hoppy enough to keep me happy.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Once upon a time there was a jolly BA named AutumnalDave who drove around the upper Midwest handing out phenomenal beers to people he hardly knew. That is how this review began…

Preamble: I have a bias against this beer because of how it’s categorized. I think it’s insane to put this hop bomb in the same category as Leinie’s Red, Bell’s Amber, and Fat Tire. That being said, this is a pretty awesome hop monster.

Appearance: Orange copper body that goldens as if touched by Midas himself when held to direct light. Nice fizzy off white head, pour retention, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Very sweet hops – like somebody took a variety of fresh hops, stringed them up, and dipped them in orange snow cone syrup and a touch of honey. The hop profile is as broad as the tidal wave that swept Madison in a freak flood yesterday. Juniper, mountain flowers, sage, grapefruit, tangerine, etc… are all present and accounted for. Despite this, caramel remains nicely available in the nose.

Taste: Hoppy to be sure and bitter like ruby red grapefruit but much of the bitterness is balanced by a strong presence of candy like sweet malts so that the final flavor comes out more like a piece of chewy, sugar coated Sunkist grapefruit candy than that half a grapefruit that I often see hippies eating in the mornings. Other hop flavors of lawn clippings, apricot, and tangerines are as bold as that last sentence was run-on and yet caramel and even a little pastry dough still find a place.

Mouthfeel: Nearly a full body, creamy yet bitter, rich and smooth. No alcohol presence.

Drinkability goes without saying.

Postscript: I’m still bitter that this beer is listed as an Amber/Red. Personally, I think it’s closer to an American IPA but at the end of the day who cares. This beer rocks. Thanks again for AutumnalDave for the unsolicited but much appreciated sample.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of very bitter beers and I'm just pleasantly confused about this beer. This beer has 93 IBU which would make you think this beer will turn your face inside out with bitterness but for whatever reason (perhaps it being a red ale?) the malts counter the bitterness to the point where this beer is actually enjoyable without giving you a bitter beer face. It has the aspects of an IPA (the hop taste and grapefruit note) but the malts really make this beer great. The pine notes are usually the ones that are the most unpleasant to me in IPAs and the pine taste is very subtle in this beer. I'm not sure if my palette is changing though. 93 IBU normally means I'm not going to like the beer. This beer has proven that theory wrong. Although I'm drinking this beer 2-3 months after I bought it. I'm not sure if it aged the beer at all. Hopefully I can try a fresh beer in the future and remember how this tasted.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Nice golden amber, good head.

S - Hops

T - Nice upfront, hops come through, some caramel.

M - Not as smooth as I'd prefer.

O - Very good. Has some pale characteristics for being an amber. Great first sip. Not a great finish.

I had to buy this in Ohio as I've never seen it here in GR. I would definitely drink it next time I'm in PA, but probably won't seek it out otherwise.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Finally found a pack of these in Toledo - the search is finally over. Pours a sickeningly perfect copper color with crazy-exceptional clarity. A big, foamy, eggshell head posts up on top of the beer and lasts seemingly for days. Amazing traces of lacing on the way down as carbonation bubble streams continuous flow from bottom to top. This beer looks stunning.

The aroma starts off with strong, weedy hops that jump up and spike your nostrils. Resinous, oily, and mildly dank. There is a good amount of caramel malt to be noted, providing a perfectly sound and balanced sweetness to the hoppy bitterness. Biscuits, roses, grass, and toffee are all things I would compare this aroma to. Lots more going on here than you might think from the first whiff. The hops gets stronger and the malts get sweeter - this is starting to make my mouth water.

Nugget Nectar contains an extremely solid, seemingly 50/50 mix of "bitter hop rush" and "sweet malt balance", right out of the gate - this is a very good sign. The hop profile consists of pine resin, hop oils, slight dankness, and mild grass flavors. The malts are packed with caramel, bread, and mild toffee. The execution of flavor envelopment between "bitter" and "sweet" is nearly flawless, as each contributor brings a nearly equal amount to the table, making this an unbelievably drinkable beer. After taking several sips, my mouth is left with a leafy resin and heavily soaked bread - once again, in nearly perfect harmony. Medium bodied, carbonated well, slightly sticky and coating to the palate.

There's no denying that this may be one of the best executed "reds" or "amber ales" out there. Hoppy enough for hop-heads, yet balanced enough for people afraid of D/IPAs. So damn drinkable it's nuts. This stuff needs to make its way to Michigan, pronto.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company