Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,398 | Hads: 7,882

Appearance: orange reddish with fizzy off white head and good clarity

Aroma: citrus and pine explosion with nice toasted bread and caramel notes

Taste: every time I sip this beer, that song "Feel Like the First Time" by Foreigner erupts into my brain. I love this beer. Delicious pine and citrus hop character perfectly balanced with toasted bread and caramel malt character. Clean yeast

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, medium carbonation, smooth but with a crispness to it

Overall: One of my favorites of all time. Perfect balance and perfect flavors. I could drink this all day.

Well I already awarded this beer a five does anybody know of a way to kick up the 5 to at least a 6 or so. Amazing on cask I enjoyed three pints without thinking about it so damn good. Appearance seemed a bit darker amber copper mix than the tap version that had a golden tone to it poured slightly hazy thick lucious cream colored creamy textured head locking in the hop aroma. Aroma contains more hops a burst of flowery earthy hops incredible smell the sugary malt backbone shines beautifully, amazing brew my friends. Taste, gets an A+ liquid crack so tasty the creamy texture of the cask conditioning is amazing the sweet malts and caramel buttery sweet flavors are orgasmic man the hop flavor bitter and hoppy as hell but completely uniform and balanced as a whole, get down on the knees I'm not worthy beer gods. Mouthfeel: Medium body fluffy texture hop resins glide across the palate. Drinkability: Wow, incredible I just traded a growler of this for a Dark Lord bomber believe me we are both making out.

A - Pours a deep, rich orange that looks pure as ever. The head is pretty nice and laces very well.

S - Pretty awesome. Hoppy and brisk smelling. Some pine and citrus with malt. Very nice. Pleasant and quite fresh smelling.

T - Awesome. How an imperial red should be. Doesn't resemble an imperial IPA like a lot of imperial reds end up doing. Follows the nose pretty close but not as overpoweringly flavorful as the aromas suggest (thank god). Everything is in balance. A lot of hops but not too much. bold, balanced brown sugar malts. So much freshness. Truly pristine tasting. This is the only other beer I've ever had that is on the level of Pliny the Elder in pure pristineness. It is so utterly clean tasting. This is phenomenal.

M - Couldn't be better. Medium bodied and very nice and smooth. Carbonation is right on. So are the hops. They dance in your mouth. It's biting in a sexy, sexy way.

D - Wildly drinkable. I would love to have 3 or 4 of these in a session. Maybe my favorite beer of all time. And despite all the hoppiness, they don't kill your tastebuds. Every beer is just as one as the one that came before it. This is an awesome beer. Just awesome.

In my top 5. Just love this beer. Don't like that all the beer sites classify it in the IPA, or double IPA category. It is an Imperial Amber, and in a class of it's own.

I find it hard to believe that after two years of drinking this beer I have not reviewed it. It may have taken me this long but better late than never. I digress, I have had this beer on cask, on draft and in the bottle and every which way this beer is amazing.

A - Sappy amber, with highlights of light brown, copper and orange. Soft, delicate head with a sticky lace that etches my journey to the bottom of the glass.

S - a hoppy mix of tropical and stone fruits, a pleasant mix of peaches, pineapple and a delicate floral honey aroma lingers. A bready, almost biscuity rounds out the aroma and ties back into the hop character.

T - Light bitterness is balanced by bready, sweet malts. A dark fruit-like character lingers in the background. Hoppy resins of pineapple, grapefruit and peach are balanced by an earthy complex of cedary resin.

M - Smooth almost creamy complexity without a hint of alcohol. For as much hop character as this beer has there is no hint of astringency or grassiness. The balance of this beer is remarkable neither cloying or too bitter, only a light malt and hop note lingers.

D - Dangerously drinkable. This is the type of beer you can do some damage with. It's balance is key here, neither too cloying or too bitter, this beer balances itself and invites you back for a few more rounds.

Regional brewer kills it. Nugget Nectar is unfortunately a seasonal beer that is only available in the spring.

The bitterness of this imperial amber ale is forward and obvious but melds with a malty body. Head is exceptional and stays with the beer throughout the glass. Aroma again, pulls you back to the beer.

This is by far the best beer I have ever tasted. Its a Hop Head's dream. It's the Hop Backs older, bigger, better brother. The only downfall for this brew is that its SEASONAL!! You can only get this tasty beverage in the spring. I highly recommend this brew, everyone should try it.

This is the best beer ever made. Hoppy and clean. Amber in color but the taste is way more complex.

Have had it on tap but just brought home my reserved case of bottles.

Flavor is immaculate. On tap pours with great head color.

ABV is just right. A few beers will give you the right buzz.

Love this stuff. Too bad it such a limited release.

This was my first time ever trying the Nectar. I'd read so much about it and was afraid the hype would kill it, but thankfully, it lives up to it. Very nice appearance - orange/golden hue, lacing is very nice. Smell was of grapefruit. Taste was not nearly as strong as I thought it would be, which was just fine with me. A really good balance. Almost refreshing actually. I can see why this could be a dangerous beer. At 7%+ and this drinkable, you'll need to be careful. Highly recommended.

The King of Beers. Just sucks I can only get it 2 months a year!!!! Some people look forward to lat Jan early Feb for football playoffs and Super Bowl. I see it as the single greatest time of year. Mad Elf bye bye hello Nugget Nectar. I'm getting the piss shivers just thinking about it.

got a case locally from a distributor 2 weeks after the release of the beer in 2008. about as fresh as you'll ever get a beer without waiting for the first case from the brewery itself...

A - this beer is listed as an imperial amber and man do you get what you pay for... the color of this pour is about as true to the name as you can get. this is the prettiest red i may have ever laid eyes on... wonderful head the slowly dissipates leaving a great lace on the glass

S - since i got this as fresh as i did, you might as well have peeled a grapefruit and cracked a few pine needles to compete with this aroma. the floral aromatica smack you right away but dissipate perfectly as soon as you exhale

T - Ahhh the money shot. perfect balance of hops in the front, with a citrus rhine middle and as smooth as you can imagine in the finish. this beer is hoppy, not bitter... please understand the distinction

M - The carbonation tingles and adds the the flavor, the goldilocks theory, not too much and not too little. almost too drinkable for the ABV and the hop content

D - the fact that i am 5 deep writing this should tell you what you need to know... a perfect session beer or pregame beer... you can't beat it for the money such a shame it is a seasonal

bottom line - perfection!!!!

Found at Wine Nation in Millbury, MA..so glad..i have been looking for a while now.

A> light reddish garnet color in appearance, some lacing head

S > sublte hop, pine

T> some piney hop flavors that balance out a hefty caramel malt backbone that really evens it out nicely

M> Clean and makes you want to take another sip

D> More Please!! I loved this beer, would drink all night if I could find more

This is a top 3 beer for me of all. If only I could find both Pliny's

First thought - this is an amazing beer, and the best offering from Troegs that I've ever sampled... the appearance was absolutely outstanding... a clear, lucid, amber, copper-colored hue with a gigantic frothy and foamy head that had some serious staying power... Copped a single 12 oz bottle for $2.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... Smell was above-and-beyond, so rich, so thick, so strong, that I fell in love with this beer just on the strength of its smell... the taste was an equally "perfect five"... perhaps the ultimate and best depiction of the style that I have ever come across... this beer certainly lives up to all its hype... one of the best representations of the style for sure... mouthfeel was rich, creamy, and thick... taste was slightly bitter but not at all overwhelming, with a tart bitterness dominated by a slight ginger, subtle vanilla, and pine flavors bursting through... taste is very clear, satisfying, and dominant... an excellent brew with a good drinkability and a not-over-the-top ABV of 7.5%... Definitely recommended...

OK I know I gave it all 5s. This beer fit everything I love about beer and to me is the perfect beer for me. It poured a great copper color with a nice thick off white head. Lacing was minimal but present. The aroma like the taste was a wonderful mix of hops and malts. Knowing nothing of brewing I have no idea what they used but it was sweet and not too bitter which you find in many overly hopped beers. Something balanced it out perfectly. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy with medium carbonation. Overall I REALLY enjoyed this beer a lot. I see why people buy this by the case. With such a limited supply you want to make sure you have enough to last you as long as possible.

One of the best, most firmly delivering a hoppy complex brew that transcends the piney, fruit, descriptions...a whole other level....this should be sought out and murdered for...JK...great though...

I am really excited that one of my home state's last big boys, in this case Troegs, has begun CANning their beers. I will be ecstatic when Victory finally catches up!

From the CAN: "Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with aheady collection of Ameri[CAN] hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine."; "Pack it in, Pack it out."

The CANticipation was becoming overwhelming and I could not hold back from the Crack! a moment longer. I CANmenced an inverted Glug, resulting in two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention, creating sticky lacing as it slowly fell. Color was imperial Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with crystal clear NE-plus quality clarity. Nose smelled sticky, resinous and piney and man, the hops monkey on my back began to screech and squeal and generally act up. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The taste was like liquid music for my deprived, depraved tongue. I have been drinking a lot of malt-driven beers and non-hoppy ciders lately and I missed to intensity of hops as a result. This was more pine than grapefruit, especially given its resiny nose. I am proud to enumerate Troegs as a Pennsylvania brewery and this is a prime example of why. Finish was dry, bitter, and about as close to an AIPA as you CAN get from an AmeriCAN Amber/Red Ale. I experienced nothing to make me change my original scores.

My original, cask review, dtd 28 Feb 2009 follows:

Holy (Beer) Spit (and Cursing), Batman! I cannot believe that I have never reviewed this beer in any of its forms. Last night was probably the best-attended Cask Night at Lititz's GEN Sutter Inn to date and it was thanks to a couple of locals, including this one. Many thanks to the incomparable Paul Pendyck for hosting an event that so many look forward to on a monthly basis!

Onward. This came out of a hand-pump manned by Mr. Pendyck. It had two fingers of light-tan head with decent retention. The color was a beautiful BUPGOO amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was oozing with pine. My mouth began to water like that of Pavlov's dogs upon hearing a bell. Yow! The mouthfeel was silky smooth, caressing my tongue in its gentle grip. The taste was like licking a pine tree. Mmmm. I loved it, but it may not be for everyone. The finish lingered with a sticky, pine-y, resinous aftertaste.

Bottled 1/11/08 and thanks to leftmindedrighty for the goods! And I chose not to review the first bottle I tasted, because I was so blown away.

Poured into a Stone IRS glass. Gorgeous clear golden-orange with 3 fingers of cream colored frothy goodness. Splendid froth, with shiny popping bubbles.

Aroma of fresh picked hops. Not of the floral variety, but of the sticky nasty kind. Another deep whiff, aahhh.

The taste is simply phenominal. I call this a Red IPA, Troegs call it an Imperial Amber. Whatever you call it, this beer is hoppy goodness. The first wave of hop flavor is floral, then comes the bitter, then the sticky coating the mouth and glazing the teeth. Perfectly balanced between 'smack in your face' and 'nice fresh IPA'.

Extremely drinkable for a 7.5% hop bomb. This one deserves 5's across the board. I want a T-shirt.

only serious hop heads need drink this beer. the aroma alone will dropkick your senses. by far the hoppiest beer ive ever had. they say the IBUS are "93ish". then the high alcohol content will help keep your chest warm and your mood bright.

Every January, my friends and I begin to stalk our local beer shops as if we were on an FBI surveillance duty looking for contraband. And sooner or later, cell phones begin to buzz and unchecked hooting and hollering can be heard by startled and well adjusted merlot drinkers two aisles over - it can only mean one thing: Nugget Nectar is here!
I will admit, I was hyped on this beer before the first sip, and had very high expectations, all of which were met and then some with this hoppy, rich and balanced Imperial Amber ale. This beer is the Bo Jackson of brews - it can do anything. It can stand alone as a quiet sipping beer on a late winter evening. It can be drunk heartily as you watch your favorite sporting event. It is enjoyed by beer snobs and non beer snobs alike. If you find this, get it. And don't tell anyone, lest they break into your home and steal it.
And be warned, if your friend steals your beer gets caught and I am on his jury. I will vote to acquit, as long as he promises to give me one.

Wow, this is one impressive beer!

A: First thing I noticed was the famous bottle art, probably one of the coolest I've ever seen. The beer itself pours a nice clear amber color. Light tan fluffy head leaves a nice bit of sudsy lacing behind. Head seems to last fairly long.

S: Utter perfection. Resiny sweet pine smells, warm malty aromas to soften the hops, everything beautifully balanced, couldn't ask for more from a beer.

T: I was expecting a bitter hop bomb, I was pleasantly disappointed. There is an abundance of hops, but they're neither bitter or biting. Strong yet mellow sticky piney flavors explode, just enough of a bready malt taste to keep things in check, soft hoppiness leads to happiness. Yum, to say the least.

M: Medium body, somewhat slick and coating feeling, carbonation is spot on and the alcoholic warmth is just lovely.

D&N: The only fault I could find with this beer is that it's not more widely carried. One of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking, ranks up there with Westy 12 and Thomas Hooker Liberator Dopplebock among my most treasured beer memories. Fives across the board are well warranted, imho. Brilliant job, Troegs brewer guy, brilliant!

My first purchase of this wonderful beer and certainly not my last

Pours a beautiful crystal clear orange/copper color with a 2 finger off white head. Head subsides slowly leaving nice lacing on the glass.

Smell that hoppy goodness!! Citrus hoppiness dominates the nose with a hint of spice, Cinnamon? Subtle sweetness lets you know the malt character is there. Someone needs to bottle this smell as an air freshener.

The balance of this brew is remarkable. Hop bitterness hits the tongue first and threatens to overpower everything else, but just as you think that huge citrus flavors take over. Tastes of orange juice, lemonade, and grapefruit juice mixed to perfection. The sweetness of the malt really brings out the citrus flavors. Ends dry with a nice spicyness.

Overall, this is just as advertised, a Hopheads Nirvana. Another great offering from the Troegner brothers. I enjoy this and will eagerly await it yearly Cheers!! Thanks to my friends at Red White and Brew in Mount Holly NJ for yet another great brew suggestion

On cask for Troegs promo night at Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota, NJ.

Vibrant apricot orange color with sudsy, clingy head that leaves thick, sticky rings of lacing. Smells like everything wonderful about hops... citrus and florals perfectly intertwined with mild malts. This cask was dry-hopped, which turns the nose from good to fantastic. Mouth-filling, viscous hop nectar (for lack of a better word) that is devoid of excess carbonation and loaded with wonderful balance and amazing presence.

On cask, this beer is sublime. Seek it out. You will be a better beer lover for it!

Pours a crystal clear, vibrant orangey amber with a nice 2 finger ivory head. Retains a nice lace and leaves a ton of, but there's sticky lacing. Smell is hoppy but not bitter, with big citrus aromas of tangerine, orange and grapefruit, along with some sweet malts to round it out. Taste is a wonderful cornucopia of flavor...yes that's right I said cornucopia. Citrusy hops, some piny flavor, mild honey sweetness, caramel maltiness...but very little hoppy bitterness! Incredible...I love the emphasis on finishing hops and not bittering hops. So much wonderful flavor. Moutfeel is very nice...creamy from all the hop oils, but also very crisp and clean on the finish. Simply the most drinkable 93 IBU beer you will ever find, I think.

Amazing, delicious beer. It's hard to imagine how anything could be better.

Deep copper body with a very light tan head, good retention and great lace all the way down the glass. Low carbonation.
Spicy hop scent mingled with caramel and intense honey like aromas. Banana and pear scents are subdued but present.
Taste is pure, concentrated honey bliss and caramel up front mellowing out to give way for kick ass hops with enough strength to make you notice tastebuds where you never knew you had any.
Banana and pear again present and carries over abit in the long lingering aftertaste in which the good hoppiness slowly fades out but never quite leaves completely. Incredibly well balanced.
Mouthfeel is abit fuller than most IPA, feels more like a double IPA actually. Good coating.
Highly drinkable, one of the best brews I've had and thanks to Weeare138 for the growler!

Best beer ever. Believe the hype.

Had many of these in 12 oz. bottles, some in larger bottles.

Appearance: Clear orange. Never seen anything like it.

Smell: Hops and citrus.

Taste: Hops on top, but it finishes like a delicious citrus fruit juice. A lot of hoppy beers leave a bitter hoppy aftertaste, but not the Nectar.

Mouthfeel: Feels great, especially the fruity aftertaste.

Overall: My favorite beer, bar none. Too bad it's only available in January and February. Next year, I'm buying a truckload.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company