1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Nugget NectarTröegs Nugget Nectar

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,956 | Reviews: 2,286 | Show All Ratings:
B33R501

1.58/5  rDev -63.8%

Poured into my tulip almost undrinkable. Into my coffee cup a little better. Its early, but probably the worst beer I've has this year.

Pours clear amber, lackluster head, lace. Smells and tastes bitter hoppy onion, leaving a very unpleasant aftertaste. Love onions on my cheesesteak, not my beer. Where's the balance? Malts? Grapefruit or orange flavor?

Onion beer. The Shmaltz Lenny Bruce RIPA I loved this weekend would be a 10, this a generous 2. Lousy. What a waste of money. My bad. Learn from your mistakes.

02-26-2012 14:40:29 | More by B33R501
prg1976

1.8/5  rDev -58.7%

Nice clear, dark amber color. 1/2" head leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Hardly any aroma whatsoever. What's going on here? Maybe just a little alcohol scent.

Tastes malty with a very slight hop bitterness.

Thin, but still carbed.

I don't know what happened to this beer. It's basically non-existent. Very disappointed.

03-21-2012 00:40:57 | More by prg1976
B967ierhunter177

2.03/5  rDev -53.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass and served at 47 degrees.

Appearance was typical beer yellow with half inch head that lasted fairly long. Aroma was mostly citrus, especially grapefruit with piney notes. Flavor was pure hop bitterness with a touch of the grapefruit. Way too bitter! Mouthfeel was light to medium but balanced over the palate. Drinkability is low, it's just way too bitter, a real hop bomb. NOT recommended!

08-16-2010 05:13:14 | More by B967ierhunter177
timobkg

2.17/5  rDev -50.2%

Purchased the day it came out in NJ, poured into a Duvel tulip.

The appearance is a lovely clear amber, with a good head.

The aroma is straight grapefruit.

The taste is more grapefruit, mixed with grapefruit / citrus pith and rind. The aftertaste is mostly pith and rind. It's bitter, but not in the typical hops bitterness. It's bitter like you're chewing on grapefruit rind. The taste of grapefruit and pith overwhelmed whatever malt sweetness may have been present.

I love Troegs' Hopback, but this is not an imperial version of Hopback. Where as Hopback was a hoppy amber, featuring hops on top of sweet caramel malt, Nugget Nectar kicked the malt to the side, discarded the sweetness, and replaced it with grapefruit and pith, and is closest to a DIPA. I had a bottle last year, another this year, and someone shared a growler with me a couple weeks ago. Each time, the beer tasted exactly the same. It may be amber in color, but an Imperial Amber this beer is not.

If you like eating your grapefruit with the pith and rind still on, then this beer is for you. I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, hate eating the pith, and like my ambers to be malty.

02-22-2011 15:11:59 | More by timobkg
shleepy

2.3/5  rDev -47.2%

Poured from small-ish bottle (375?) into a snifter.

A: Very nice amber color, quite clear. Medium head.

S: Lots of malty / bready smell, along with heavy hops... And are those strawberries in there? Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be a very bitter and malty beer.

T: Not a hop bomb, but it's got quite a bit of bitterness and too much caramel flavor to balance it out. That bready strawberry flavor from the nose is in there, as well, but it's not great. Not my cup o' tea (or mug of beer). Unsophosticated and doesn't hide its alcohol well.

M: Heavy body. Not drinkable.

O: I'm going to take a couple more sips and then pour it out. Too much caramel and not interesting at all.

04-25-2012 02:30:46 | More by shleepy
hsway

2.35/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass in two installments.

a: Poured a brownish red with a small amount of quickly disappearing head. Minimal lacing.

t: Not my favorite style. Very piney, almost sappy, with a slight mustiness.

d: I wasn't really enjoying it by the end of the glass.

04-10-2009 00:23:18 | More by hsway
Sachsenfreude

Germany

2.38/5  rDev -45.4%

appearance; a beautiful, clear amber. Fine white head that retains throughout the drink. Sparce, yet quality lacing.

smell; upfront quite sweet but fizzles out to very herbal and spicy hops. Hops dominate but an exceptable balance is present.

taste; at first resiny hops, then an odd sweetness from the malts. Very spicy hops in the finish, mostly a bitter hoppy beer but not enough so to be an IPA, the balance is much better but still off.

mouthfeel; very froathy carbonation, with a medium body and slick finish.

drinkability; hop bitters are just annoying, one is enough. I was really let down by this beer. Unless one is a hophead, I suggest to avoid this brew.

03-10-2011 19:43:29 | More by Sachsenfreude
marvin213

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The color is bronze. For an amber ale, I think it's kinda light. I was expecting a dark red that wouldn't be translucent. The head is good and white. It has a fullness I've come to expect from these hoppy ales. In keeping with my characteristic label consideration in the appearance of beer, I'm disappointed in the fingers holding a hop nugget...definitely inferior to the Hopslammed man and the solitary 120 hop.

The smell is sweet hoppiness. That's good...very good. Perhaps the only thing preventing it from perfection is a citrus or similar smell present in many of the west coast hoppy beers. I don't care if that's not supposed to be there--I like it, and I miss it.

Since I know this one's hyped and an "A" recipient on this site, I'm most disappointed with the taste. The sweet hoppiness I smelled when I poured the beer has changed to something burnt. I still like the hoppiness, but there's burned woodchips or something I find uncomfortable. It's not even close to a bad beer, but I'm sadly disappointed based on what I've heard about this beer. The aftertaste is almost abrasive to me, and it's not the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is okay, but I just mentioned the aftertaste--it's like I'm charred after I swallow the beer. When you think of charred, you might think of something good off the grill, but this is like a nasty piece of brisquet off an old, seldom-cleaned grill grate. Not impressed doesn't cut it--I really just don't like it.

Now how can I comment on the drinkability of this beer? I feel like I did when I reviewed the Victory Prima Pils--is it that I just don't like the style? I love selections that vary from coffee stouts to light (even macro) ales. It's odd (based on my experience with this site, anyway) that I don't really like Belgians, and it's (relatively) odd that I don't really like this beer. I'll drink it again just out of respect for the people that rate it here--so I can judge it again. For now though, I'm unimpressed with Nugget Nectar.

03-07-2009 23:08:35 | More by marvin213
NoLiberty

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours clear and light reddish orange in color. Definitely on the lighter side for an amber but well within style. Totally filtered and fresh with a nice solid white frothy head on top that settles into an ever present cap with nice stickiness at the edges and soft lacing spotted up with side. Tiny carbonation lazily floats up feeding this nice head situation.

The aroma is strongly hop forward and starts with subtle fruit and floral notes and moves to a slightly more sweet middle with citrus followed by an underlying ammonia notes. Resiny throughout with a moderate sweetness that makes for an aroma that's complex almost melony but also almost unpleasant.

Strong hop resins and oil up front with moderate fruit flavors. Overall this is too hop dominant without a backing malt quality. The hops are used too extensively with little balancing flavors. The hop choice, nugget, is unpleasant for an imperial amber. The alcohol that comes through is astringent and unconnected to the other flavors of the beer.

Mouthfeel is oily up front followed by a cloying sweet finish and lingering bitter aftertaste that doesn't invite me to drink more. I am a hop fan and I realize this is a highly favored beer but the drinking experience doesn't match the apparent popularity. The ingredient choice and integration leaves an unbalanced beer with overly assertive qualities

01-31-2009 02:36:38 | More by NoLiberty
CounterVulture

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

I tried this beer yesterday because i had requested it in a beer trade. big ups to kadonny and adamharbaugh. Overall not too impressed... tasted like a bad version of bell's amber. this makes me think that i might be spoiled with Midwestern beer. i really can't understand the A overall grade. this is an average beer. nice color and smell, but the initial taste and after taste leave a lot to be desired. the aftertaste is almost like rotting orange peels or something, i couldn't put my finger on it..

04-04-2009 22:32:23 | More by CounterVulture
eweneek83

West Virginia

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

A -Clear amber. Decent bone-white head with little lacing.

S-Citrus smells and floral hops. Has some sweetness in the aroma.

T-My disappointment came here. Follows the nose mostly, but on a weaker level. Was expecting more of a citrus taste from the earlier smell, but it never really came through. The malt is solid, and the hops are great, just expected a bit more in the flavor.

M-Light to medium bodied. Nice carb. Not much of an aftertaste. Smooth going down

D-At 7.5% abv, you won't hurt yourself much drinking a few of these.

03-10-2010 05:48:18 | More by eweneek83
Minkybut

I poured this high hopped beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was orange colored and had a tan head that went away very fast. It did however have good lacing qualities. The smell was very hoppy also as was the taste. It was like drinking a Christmas tree. I will not buy again. too hoppy.

12-17-2009 22:11:25 | More by Minkybut
Beejis60

2011 release, bottle

A: straw to dark straw
S: piney, citrusy
T: slightly malty, slightly dry. would like a bit more malt
M: goes down smooth, not sharp, not dull.
O: was okay, not too impressed however I wasn't expecting much from Troegs. I don't plan on drinking it again.

03-20-2011 04:53:59 | More by Beejis60
LittleBreeze

3.03/5  rDev -30.5%

1/17/2008
Thanks, DIM.

We had consistency issue with this one. Three bottles. We opened two. One bottle was good and the other was horrible.
One bottle has the intense aroma and taste I expected. Caramel. Citrus and floral hops. Crisp bite. Good balance. The other was poorly balanced. A fizzy mess. Even the coloring seemed off. Both were suppose to be 2008 release so I'm rating them together.

01-22-2008 05:31:46 | More by LittleBreeze
StoryOfTheGhost

3.05/5  rDev -30%

A- amber, like it should be, with a very white lacing, and a pillowy head, and lacing left on side of the glass

S- Pretty one dimensional. Some citrusy and piney hops. Not smelling all these things everyone else is pointing out. Maybe I'm the one missing it

T- Piney, and citrusy. Some sweetness, more of the amber taste than I expected. Probably my fault expecting something hoppier and more caramel hops. Very malty, which usually means something good in my world, but it does not work in this one.

M- Medium body, good carbonation, does not leave a very good taste in the mouth

O- probably the most disappointed I have ever been by a "Top Beer". Usually the top beers, even when they are not my taste I can at least appreciate the flavors. This beer was very one dimensional and just not that good

03-03-2012 02:06:42 | More by StoryOfTheGhost
vonnegut21

3.05/5  rDev -30%

Appearance: Burnt orange with a finger or so of white head. Lots of lacing present on the glass. A nice looking beer.

Smell: An odd mix of caramel/toffee and piney hops. Maybe a little citrus on the back of the nose, but mostly sweet and pine.

Taste: Again the sweet toffee flavor, followed by spicy pine and resin. Oddly both too sweet and too piney.

Mouthfeel: Oily, slick with a fairly thin mouthfeel. Not bad, but lacking the carbonation and body of high end offerings.

Overall: This is an average offering overall. Sort of an amped up version of Hopback that just doesn't do much for me. Too much pine and bitterness without the flavor to support it. Perhaps I would enjoy it more if it hadn't been as hyped up. Troegs makes some truly excellent beers, this just isn't one of them.

05-08-2012 20:51:09 | More by vonnegut21
beercat11

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance is amber as indicated. Looks nice with average lacing.

Smell is a subdued sweet hopyness.

Taste is different from what I remember. Not as fruity and seems more on the malt side this time around.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but kind of uneventfull all the way through.

Overall:I have tried this beer out the last six years and cannot understand all the hype. It is very average this year from what I recall. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of to be fair is that this beer arrives here being less than it was meant to be. Very dissapointed and won't bother with this anymore. There are much better offerings out there. I think the fact that this beer is seasonal and limited, it adds an unwarranted hype element to it.

Update:3/23/12. Just visited my local guy and they had this on tap for grolwers. Filled it up and hit it as soon as I got home. I must say I may have been right about that 6 pack I based my review on because this tastes really different. Not over the top, but more on Q of how it is usually described on taste. I must say it was much more worthy of some praise beyond this initial review. I found the carbonation and hop forwardness more prevalent here and it makes an impression worth noting.

03-10-2012 16:49:50 | More by beercat11
GSX1250FA

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

When Nugget Nectar first came out (around 2004) it was the best beer I had ever tasted. The hops flavor was absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, over the years I have noticed a steady deterioration in quality and now it is just an average beer. At first I thought the decline might have been due to a poor hop harvest that year, but the decline in taste continued year after year. Now I thnk the decline is due to Troegs wanting increasing profit margins, so they cut costs by using less expensive ingredients.

07-25-2012 17:31:17 | More by GSX1250FA
Higravity

3.18/5  rDev -27.1%

I had this also on tap at the brewery but I took a growler home for further consumption. Looks a nice shade of orange with a white top. The smell is not what I was expecting, I thought this would be like ground up fresh hops shoved in my nose. In reality it had a mild grassy-earth citrus smell that was limp and the malt was weak behind it with a touch of alcohol. The taste was sharp hop stab and a good flavor overall the yeast leave it fruity, this is not something I really like or dislike. A yawn in these days of much better hopped beers, this needs some more hops in the back end. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Serving type: growler

03-20-2006 14:02:41 | More by Higravity
Calico

3.18/5  rDev -27.1%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for providing me with this beer.

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Good clarity. Pretty amber color.

Aroma: heavy on the hops. A little catty, gasoliny.

Taste: Quite interesting, a style I can't quite place (what is an imperial amber anyway?) but a little too sharp, estery, and grassy to be well rounded. Not enough malt. A strong ale, highly hopped.

Reminds me of Middle Ages Wailing Wench. If it were available in my area I'd gladly buy it, on occasion.

04-29-2006 02:45:00 | More by Calico
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Thanks to BrewerDan23 for this one.

A- Pours a tangerine orange with no haze and a small, one finger head. The head dies down quickly but leaves some good soapy lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Big amounts of piney hops with a sweet malt backbone. There is a little biscuit presence and some soapiness which is a little off putting.

T- Much of the same as the nose. Big piney hops with a sweet malt backbone. There is a decent bitterness to it and there is the lingering soap notes that I keep picking up.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation. There is a good bitterness from the hops and dry on the finish.

D- A decent offering but I had had this once before but wasn't the same beer. The more I drank of this beer, the more I couldn't get by the soap presence which almost became overwhelming.

02-11-2011 14:21:52 | More by Wisconsinality
ScarletLady

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

I was disappointed in this as were the folks I was drinking it with. It poured a nice light copper color but was done in such a hurry that it wasn't a 'proper pour' so I will skip the head & lacing. The nose was great - hoppy & floral. At first taste the hops were great, then something went terribly wrong. the finish tasted like a wet dog, almost like it was unfinished. It got a little better as you drank it, but not much. I couldn't get past the wet dog. yikes

i'm worndering if we just got a bad bottle. I looked at the other reviews and did not have the wonderful experience every one else seemed to. I guess I would try it again....warily.

02-13-2006 22:46:35 | More by ScarletLady
buschbeer

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. One of the more hoppy smelling beers that I have tried. I can get the pine taste along with the bitterness. It's not a bad beer to start the night with. I wish I hadn't drank the others over the past week. Sometimes I feel that I get more out of a beer if I have more than one (and I'm not just talking about a buzz). I would drink it again.

03-21-2009 01:04:23 | More by buschbeer
Infamous7100

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Warning. This review comes from an admitted non hop head. I know, I know, shocking.
A: Poured a great looking copper/amber color into a pilsner glass which produced a great 3 finger head.
S: Like Christmas in March. I'm talking pine tree forest with some grapefruit and a side of citrus. Dare I say, Pine Sol!
T: This is where you lose me. Up front, I get a little malty sweetness, but it quickly fades to the grapefruit, grassy biterness on the back of the tongue. Alcohol is hidden well, but I just don't deal well with the lingering bitterness.
M: The hops are in full effect, though not overwhelming. Numbs the tongue just a bit, but wears off by the time you are ready for another sip. Nicely carbonated.
D: It's not a bad beer. Again, I am not a hop head, but can appreciate a good beer when I try one. This is a good beer. However, this is my review, so I'll close with, I'm glad I tried it, but I'll be sticking to my Belgians and stouts.
Prost.

04-03-2009 01:41:38 | More by Infamous7100
OStrungT

3.28/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color, with a thin light tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving a thick curtain of lace.

This beer smells a bit less intense than I thought. I can detect some mild piney hop aroma. A subtle caramel aroma also mixes in. Some citrus aroma also.

This beer tastes like it smells. It is a lot less intense than I thought. Mild pine and citrus flavors mix in with a slightly sweet caramel like aftertaste.

This beer is carbonated well. It leaves a slightly piney aftertaste. It is a little syrup like in mouthfeel though, thicker than I would think.

This beer would make a decent session beer. The alcohol content is a bit high, but it is not too much so. Also, the flavor isnto too aggressive or bad to drink.

Overall: Thanks go to monsterfat for this beer. It was part of the 2009 Great BIF race. Rating this beer is a bit harder than I expected. It isnt a bad beer, but it was far from what I was expecting. The bottle said "A Hopheads Nirvana" I can not agree with that. This beer is not very hoppy at all. It is nto a bad tasting beer though. Just not what I was expecting. Oh well, I cant love them all.

09-01-2009 02:35:52 | More by OStrungT