Join our email list →

Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,438 | Hads: 8,066
3.22/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying what apparently is a highly revered beer and I'm not into it. Looks okay...clear amber with a fluffy white head that lingers and leaves heavy lacing. Smell is unpleasant. Medicinal with some faint pine and citrus flavors. Taste is also unpleasant. Again, medicinal is the best way of describing it. The first couple sips were like biting into an aspirin, super bitter and metallic in taste (poured from a bottle, btw). About 1/4 through the glass (maybe after my taste buds adjusted) I finally started getting some piney, resinous hop flavor under all that sheer bitterness. It wasn't until about halfway through my glass (maybe after my taste buds were completely annihilated) that I finally started to get some faint hints of caramely malty sweetness. Feel is medium, somewhat creamy, and very dry on the finish. Amber ales are generally one of my favorite styles, but besides the color, I don't really see how this fits the style at all. I found it very unbalanced, very bitter, and lacking in a lot of the toasted biscuit flavors I like so much in this style. Some of the flavors were just bizarre and I'm not even sure if they were intentional. Not worth the hype, imo.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into a teku.
Red-Gold color, crystal clear. Billowy white head initially but recedes to a thin ring after a few sips.
Aroma seems somewhat subdued. notes of citrus and pine.
The taste is predominately resinous, piney hops, some citrus like bitter grapefruit peels. All the hop flavors are gently supported by a backbone of caramel-like malt sweetness.
Medium body.
Overall, a very enjoyable red ale. If it were available in Minnesota, it would have a place in my fridge.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

12 0z can. Nice hazy, amber pour. Strong pine aroma, some tropical fruit too. Tastes very hoppy, and a little bit watered down. Not bad, but this year it certainly is not deserving of its world class title.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured out of a 12 ounce can into a glass. Amber in color with a 3/4 inch head. Aromas aren't very profound or memorable even. Tastes somewhat bitter with hoppy, resinous flavor. It's definitely a malt forward beer however. Overall, it's worth trying but I feel like this year's release is underwhelming compared to the past years. 2014 was good, 2015 was average. This year is below average.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light Amber color. Aroma is piney hops up front with a malty presence. Flavor is piney and resiny hops up front with a balanced malt finish. Overall this is very nice.

3.34/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

6 packs of 12 oz cans. Pours golden Amber, good bite from the carbonation.

Smell- Astrigent. Medicinal. Would not describe as pleasant.

Taste- There is a metallic taste in all of the examples I've had this year. Not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I got them in cans or is inherent to the actual beer. There is a bit of hoppiness, but I struggle to describe the other flavors. Medicinal still comes to mind. I'm not sure what they're really going for taste-wise.

I bought this newly released, only a couple weeks old at most. People said last year's release wasn't the best, so I was hoping for this to impress me. Wow, was I completely suckered into this by the marketing and hype surrounding the release (store I bought it from had a full end aisle display). I'd say this was even worse than I had last year, and I'm still not sure of the taste they are going for.

The fact that this beer has a 96 on this site is an embarrassment and speaks more to marketing/hype surrounding the yearly release than any actual merit in the current craft beer market.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

had this beer last year and was a stand out. pours a clean Amber and can see hand through the glass. minimal head.. nice red malt nose of sweet candy and some hops. on first sip get caramel coated mouthfeel with nice malt up front giving way to spicy hops. great red ale but I seem to remember more hops and more bite last year. overall standout beer in its class.

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Since the initial release of Nugget Nectar several years back, I've anxiously awaited each new batch, along with thousands of fellow hopheads. Since so little was brewed, and there was such a high demand, the brew gained a cult status.

Imagine my disappointment with this years drastically watered down version of what was previously a world class brew. That is certainly no longer the case. All of the previous in your face character is gone. Mouthfeel is non-existent. Malt profile is average at best. Hopping is weak to be generous. NN has now become a total sellout to corporate profits!! Even the carton and labels have been drastically changed and cheapened in order to squeeze out a few more pennies of profit per case.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY THIS BEER!! What was once a classic is now not even average.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Can was about a month old, and was an extra on a trade w an East coast homie. Slightly bitter up front, but fades to a smooth respectable malty presence. Liked it better as it warmed up.
I could easily drink this as a session beer

3.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look - A clear in appearance, amber type color
Smell - Sweet bready malts, spice, floral, some citrus, some dankness
Taste - Floral and spicy hops dominate. Hints of citrus and caramel malts in there as well

Overall - A very much overhyped beer in my opinion. Good but certainly should not be PA's highest rated beer. Heck, it's not even Troegs best beer.

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

look was a deep brown w orange hue, smell just pulled out a malt caramel no hops presence to me, taste couldn't find a prominence or style, not an amber not an IPA and I know this is what they are shooting for, feel was a hearty beer w a great carbonation, but I do not feel the style or beer, i will pass on this going forward, although I have been told this year was not a good or solid batch. Maine Zoe to me is better.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm a pretty big fan of the style, though I don't tend to buy very often for whatever reason. This is my first time trying Nugget Nectar, and is probably the best of the style that I have tried. Looked at a few other reviews saying its not as good as it used to be. Makes me wish I had the chance to try in previous years, but oh well. Lives up to the hype in my opinion.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

A: A bright, jewel-tone orange. Fluffy, thick white head. Beer looks thick and translucent.

S: Bread, resin and some spice.

T: Some citrusy hops at first, yielding to a mix of bread, grass, warm spices and tropical fruits. Nicely balanced. All the crisp flavor without too much unchecked, hoppy bitterness.

F: Sticky. Thick. Viscous.

O: Quite enjoyed this. A substantial beer that packs a surprisingly sophisticated punch.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sometimes things just work out. I finally made it to a store I'd been wanting to visit for a long time, specifically because they had 6-packs of Alpine's Pure Hoppiness. Well, I got to try it, because they had a keg tapped for growler purchases. Very tasty. Alas, no 6-packs (at $17.99) left. But they also had Nugget Nectar tapped, and WOW! By far the best thing I've ever tried from Troegs. Actually liked it more than the Alpine offering. Hops and more hops, and bitter (93 IBUs!) -- just the way I like it. Yet at "only" 7.5% it's like a session beer (at least for me). Overall, a home run. Wait, I'm writing this on Super Bowl weekend, so make it a touchdown. Totally deserving of its "world-class" rating.

2.37/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Orangish amber with a small head and some sticky lacing.

This is a strong one. It's hard to believe this is fresh, but it just released.

I get a little Spree candy at first, then it's just downhill from there.

Extremely bitter, foot fungus, cat pee, blech.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a crystal-clear, sparkling medium-amber beer wearing a large, pebbly head the color of ancient ivory. Head retention is modest, and lacing is good, consisting of irregular slabs and caverns. The nose is medium-big: an appetizing, seamless blend of candied grapefruit, floral notes and subtle pine, with slight alcohol overtones riding above it. The palate leads with bitter citrus and pine, with a slight IPA soapiness; midpalate the spicy, candy-like florals emerge, as does a nice weedy character, and the soapiness retreats. The bitterness builds to a point a bit north of middling for an IPA, allowing some of the bready malt foundation to show. The finish is pretty clean, showing just a bit of bittersweet nuttiness; the linger is a moderate grass/pine bitterness that sticks around for a few minutes. Retrogustative olfaction is weedy/grassy. Mouthfeel is biggish for the light-medium body and the texture is very nice, exhibiting near-optimal levels of creaminess and pepperiness for the style. Very easy-drinking, tasty red IPA. (growler)

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Copper in color. NIce white colored head that sticks around for a while.

Smell: Juicy, piney, fresh hops dominate with hints of citrus and fresh cut grass lurking in the background.

Taste: Hoppy with a very strong malt backbone. The hop bitterness is present up front, but fades to a tough, malty, bready finish. Excellently balanced. I can't tell if its an IPA or an Amber ale, but I believe Troegs has welded the two together fairly solidly here.

Feel:

Overall:

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Canned on 1/20/16, sampled on 2/5/16 from 8 oz sniffer. Aroma: hop aroma dominates nose with moderate amounts of tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, and dank hop resin. Light hints of alcohol in nose. Light amounts of malt sweetness with faint hint of caramel. Esters, if present, are likely overpowered by hop aroma. Appearance: clear. Medium Amber color, with orange hue. Medium-low head retention with light tan head quickly disappearing (about 2 minutes) into skim with fine bubbles around rim. Light amounts of medium sized lacing. Flavor: malt flavor low, with some hints of bread crust and slight hint of sweet toffee/caramel - but does not detract from hop flavor. Balance is hop forward with moderate hop bitterness and heavy hop flavor of tropical fruit, grapes and tangerine. Dry finish. Aftertaste clean with whispers of sweet malt and hop flavors just barely remaining. Mouthfeel: medium body. Medium carbonation. Very slight alcohol warmth. No creaminess or astringency. Overall: very enjoyable hop forward Amber/ IPA. Glad the finish is dry and Carmel malts are subdued, thus reducing sweetness. Hop flavors, while at higher levels are nuanced and enjoyable. Would like to smell more hop aroma. Perhaps even this would be more enjoyable at lower alcohol levels so aroma and taste could be even more refined and shine through. 42/50.

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Great, glowing ruddy orange color, with a nice foamy head. Medium bore tropical fruits on the nose, with just a suggestion of weed. Flavor is wan citrus and warm pine, with just a bit too much muddy, charred bitterness in the way to sort it out. Good juice, but less than I was expecting. Lovely body - substantial enough to keep you from housing it, but light enough for ready drinking.

This is a very nice beer, but it feels...old? Like it might have been revolutionary, a number of years ago, or perhaps the case I got saw a harder road to my door than I know. I'm happy I have more of it, but I don't know if I'd undertake the hustle to get it, again. Would be far more impressive as a regular offering, than a semi-mythical once a year.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Canned version; canned on 1/20/16; drank in a tulip glass on 2/2/16; can labeled as 7.5%, 93 IBUs with Nugget, Warrior, Tomahawk, Simcoe and Palisade hops; good beer but not quite deserving of the world class rating

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Karben4 glass.

L: Light, reddish-orange, and unfiltered, very cloudy

S: Hop resins more than anything

T: Not as prominent as last year, but still juicy with some citrus, pine, mango, and even a little pineapple

F: It's very crisp, yet light on the finish.

O: This has been one of my top 2 favorite Troegs beers, since I first had one of their beers about 10 years ago. They never disappoint. I just don't think the 2016 version is as good as the 2015 version or the 2014 version. I've been drinking the Nuggets for about 6-7 years now (sneaking their main batch beers when I was younger ~10 years ago) and I just feel like the Nugget Nectar was best in 2014 so far from my trials. Taste is subjective, so I don't feel like anyone has to agree with this.

Cheers everyone!

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Dated 1/20/16, freshest by 5/21/16. Consumed 2/1/16

Look: Orange-amber and clear as can be. Towering, fluffy off-white head of huge huge huge bubbles that stuck around forever leaving tons of lacing

Smell: Resin and spice. Some apricot and peach come through, but subtle

Taste: Hoppy and resinous. A little fruity but not overly so. Fairly spicy, and the bitterness just doesn't cut through for me.

Feel: Moderate to heavy mouthfeel. Significant carbonation. Clean finish. Alcohol hidden very well

Overall: Good, but not great. I'm not sure I understand the praise. Maybe because it's a once-yearly offering. I'm glad I tried it but it won't be making the regular rotation.

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a crystal clear orange amber with a huge, fluffy off white head. Retention is excellent and there are many thick sheets of hanging lacing. Smell is tropical and citrus fruits, dank and pine. Taste is the same with a touch of bready malt and a good amount of bitterness. Feel is medium, slick and resinous. Overall a great beer. I buy a case every year.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A beautiful shining red Ale. The smell is sweet and spicy With some citrus and tropical fruits. It makes me think of orange candy. The taste is super smooth, toasty, sweet, juicy and really nice. yb

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

a: beautiful mixture of amber, mahogany, and some ruby red. pours a 2 finger off-white frothy head that is seeming to linger

s: super juicy. pineapple, strawberry, apricot, grapefruit. there is a sweet caramel malt backbone, with a dry crackery aroma towards the back as well. this one makes the mouth water

t: a burst pineapple immediately followed by bitter grapefruit. right behind that, in rapid fire, is a nice caramel sweetness to mellow out the bitterness. following that, perhaps a bit muted, is a light mango & strawberry sweetness. there is that dry, crackery presence in the mouth here as well. finishes with little piney bitterness

m: mouthfeel is the lighter side of medium. carbonation level feels perfect for the style - not too much, but enough to make the juicy hops stand out

o: its amazing how quickly all the flavors transition in this beer, i don't think i've ever had one that moves that fast. it really made me focus and think on the flavors (not in a bad way). the sweet fades to bitter, then back to sweet, then finishes bitter. its an incredibly smooth, and crisp beer. definitely on the bitter side, but does have a solid malt presence. worth a pickup, for sure

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company