Join our email list →

Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,435 | Hads: 8,056
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A beautiful shining red Ale. The smell is sweet and spicy With some citrus and tropical fruits. It makes me think of orange candy. The taste is super smooth, toasty, sweet, juicy and really nice. yb

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

a: beautiful mixture of amber, mahogany, and some ruby red. pours a 2 finger off-white frothy head that is seeming to linger

s: super juicy. pineapple, strawberry, apricot, grapefruit. there is a sweet caramel malt backbone, with a dry crackery aroma towards the back as well. this one makes the mouth water

t: a burst pineapple immediately followed by bitter grapefruit. right behind that, in rapid fire, is a nice caramel sweetness to mellow out the bitterness. following that, perhaps a bit muted, is a light mango & strawberry sweetness. there is that dry, crackery presence in the mouth here as well. finishes with little piney bitterness

m: mouthfeel is the lighter side of medium. carbonation level feels perfect for the style - not too much, but enough to make the juicy hops stand out

o: its amazing how quickly all the flavors transition in this beer, i don't think i've ever had one that moves that fast. it really made me focus and think on the flavors (not in a bad way). the sweet fades to bitter, then back to sweet, then finishes bitter. its an incredibly smooth, and crisp beer. definitely on the bitter side, but does have a solid malt presence. worth a pickup, for sure

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Nugget Nectar pint glass. From a 12-pack, which are now legal in Pennsylvania smh....

Das Review:

L - Bright and rich amber color; crystal clear hue. Nice and carbonated with a two finger head. Layer of foam on top; loose lacing on the side. Alcohol gripping to the glass pretty well.

S - Difficult from a tumbler, Syrupy caramel malts with citrus notes coming through. Notes: maple, caramel, grapefruit, pine. Interesting aroma.

T - Hop dominated. Very distinctive Nugget hop character that encompasses the whole experience. No amber or red character to it. Citrus tasting and quite bitter.

F - Light viscosity; Clean and crisp with medium strong alcohol burn. Strong nugget hop after taste that coats the tongue. Pretty rough stuff.

O - Fresh nugget hops are pretty bomb if you ask me. I love IPAs and even though this is a Red Ale, this certainly feels like a pine IPA. Nugget hops I feel give the best of both worlds between the tropical juiciness and the pine bitterness, and Nugget Nectar is a good example of that. Only comes around late January, so I am going to try and get this while I can. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with a bubbly white head. Great fruity tropical smell right off the bat then yields to an interesting clover honey like smell. Taste is very similar to the smell, juicy and honey like. Call me crazy but its like a beer version of mead in a way. What the heck do I know, anyone really going to read my reviews? Probably not but my wife likes it so much that I will probably get a fresh squeeze a little later ;)

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Clear amber/gold, off-white head holds up well. Pine/earthy aroma, with tropical and pome fruit flavor. Nice balanced body just right for this style.
Re-buy...only comes out once a year about now.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Bottled on January 7th. A little over a week old.

Excited to have this fresh. Unfortunately this just does not live up to the hype. I have no idea why this one gets so much praise. Like Hopslam, this one probably stood out 5 years ago. Today, it just doesn't cut it.

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L - Clear amber, deep orange. 3/4" head reduces to a thin layer in a few minutes.

S - Pine, spice, and a familiar sweetness, like orange blossom honey. Some citrus, like orange peel. Inviting.

T - Taste follows the nose. Pine and spice, but with a citrus blast and a big juicy mango. Pine and honey in the aftertaste. Is this good or what?

F - Medium bodied, resinous yet smooth. A dryness that encourages the next sip, yet the flavors linger nicely. My whole mouth is happy.

O - In my amature opinion, there are a lot of good things going on with this beer. Tastes like the first day of spring. Cheers!

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As stated by a previous review buy this FRESH. This was the first beer that totally blew my mind when I was introduced about 5 years ago. A tropical explosion awaits to those who suffer through winter in anticipation. The malt backbone is a bit more pronounced than in years past but it doesn't detract.

On a side note, I wish my mom would have told me that Troegs hired her to be their new graphic artist.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First case of 2016 picked up off the line at a beer store in SE PA. Agree with the last reviewer, getting this fresh is key. Great juicy hop flavor with the semi-sweet amber profile I believe works best when drinking fresh. Mouthfeel is similar to an amber with the nice hoppy bite of an imperial ipa. Very drinkable, excited to have this back in my fridge. I'll have no problem polishing off a case with my buddies this upcoming bachelor party weekend.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 cases of 24. 2013,14,15

Writing this review so late but remembering all of the different flavors, it is imperative to get this fresh. The first case I got of this was a first order 3 hours from the brewer. A rich blast of flavors progress into a hoppy finish that dissipates into a subtle aftertaste that leaves you craving that next swig.

Drinking this bottle now, almost a year after it's shipping., tastes like a ranky amber ale.

3.81/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Copper color, citrus and pine on the nose but was expecting more hops and a less malty taste. Solid offering, but nothing I would seek out again.

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big and hoppy up front, but hops don’t follow through to finish (which isn’t a bad thing). Reddish copper color, small tight off white head. Citrus nose, initial hop blast, fades to malt, slightly dry. (RateBeer rated as an IPA)

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Copper in color with an inch of head that diminished to about an eighth. Lacing present on the side of the glass. Smell is strong citrus, pine, hops, and very mild sweetness. I would say mostly hop forward. Medium carbonation with a smooth finish. A very drinkable beer.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

After years of tasting and appreciating various West Coast IPAs, I've grown to appreciate beers with an eye towards hops, but with attention and variation in their malt characters. Whereas the traditional West Coast IPAs seem as an expression of hops over a blank malt, Red IPAs or Amber IPAs such as Nugget Nectar offer some complexity and contrast between the body and aroma of the beer.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar, I believe, does this very well.
The nose hints at mostly sweet honey amber malt, but it is sweet, malty and bitter (slightly floral) in taste.

As with Hopback Amber, it is a delicious beer with desire for a quick follow-up.

Only thing wanting somehow in this beer is a slightly more aggressive carbonation. It tends to feel mild on this level. If it had a little bit more of a bite it would be absolutely stellar, although once you're halfway through the pint as it is, you already want another.

4.01/5  rDev -7.4%

Had on tap at the Homegrown Cafe in Newark, DE right before Easter sunday. From notes. Pours into a pint glass a dark amber with hints of ruby. Pretty potent hop aroma on this one, very leafy and herbal. I expected this to be a hop bomb based on the reviews but I was surprised. It's a very good red ale, but it is very bitter and the hops don't give off too much flavor. Big sweet malt backbone and some leafy and piney hops. Medium body leaning towards heavy. A good beer but I'm a bit disappointed. I'll have to try again to see if it is a fluke.

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer was good, but I was not blown away by it. I actually like their Perpetual better. I didn't really think that this beer lived up to the hype.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best brew from Troegs. Similar to one of my faves - Hop back amber ale - but better. Nice light - easy to drink beer with superb flavor throughout. One of those beers that lives up to the hype. I get a case every year

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Amber to copper in color with an inch of head that diminished to about an eighth. Lacing present as the beer goes down.

Smell is strong citrus, pine, hops, and mild sweetness.

Taste is mildly bitter at first mixed with sweetness in the middle and a bitter finish. Am getting the same citrus, pine, and hops notes throughout.

Mouthful is light and crisp with higher carbonation. Finish is a strong lingering bitterness.

Overall an excellent IPA that is well balanced. The sweet notes help to smooth things out and provide non hop heads like me a reason to try more of these.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%

Exceptional clarity, beautiful Amber color and fully laces the glass. Dangerously drinkable at 7.5 abv and showcases some of the best of American hops. Demonstrates that you can make an amazing hop forward beer outside of the standard pale ale or ipa classification.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of very bitter beers and I'm just pleasantly confused about this beer. This beer has 93 IBU which would make you think this beer will turn your face inside out with bitterness but for whatever reason (perhaps it being a red ale?) the malts counter the bitterness to the point where this beer is actually enjoyable without giving you a bitter beer face. It has the aspects of an IPA (the hop taste and grapefruit note) but the malts really make this beer great. The pine notes are usually the ones that are the most unpleasant to me in IPAs and the pine taste is very subtle in this beer. I'm not sure if my palette is changing though. 93 IBU normally means I'm not going to like the beer. This beer has proven that theory wrong. Although I'm drinking this beer 2-3 months after I bought it. I'm not sure if it aged the beer at all. Hopefully I can try a fresh beer in the future and remember how this tasted.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

3-27-15. Water goblet. Bottled on 1-20-15.

Appearance: Smoke on the pop. Pours a deep copper with a 1.5 finger rocky, sandy head. Moderate carbonation. Clear with a few lazy bubble streams. Very nice lacing. A few islands of retention.

Aroma: Guava, Mango, resin, floral, sweet, sugary, definitely hoppy aroma. High on the hops, high on the malt, too.

Taste: Dryer arrival than expected, but malty. Malty with some caramel across mid-palate, turning to a solid, bitter finish, but overly so. Bitternes at the end is a bit much for me.

Mouthfeel: Hefty, but not heavy. Decent/moderate carbonation. Not much slickness.

Overall: Definitely an imperial amber; balanced, with Big Hops and Big Malt. Just a very BIG beer all the way around. I like it, but I can't see myself drinking this regularly.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In season this is an outstanding ale/IPA! Citrusy flavors galore with a strong hoppy goodness to finish off the drinking experience! Has a dry, bitter finish complemented with the citrus taste. Classic Fall seasonal choice!

4.06/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - amber color body with white head

Smell - pine, grapefruit, caramel

taste - caramel, grapefruit, tangerine, pine, resin

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, high carbonation, sweetness upfront from the citrus and caramel and bitterness out back

Overall - good beer that borders closely on IPA territory

Price Point - $10.99/4 pack 16 oz cans

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a can into a snifter.

L: Gorgeous. Delicate amber.

S: getting some juiciness and some pine. Nicely balanced but pretty tame.

T: get a little tropical juiciness, a little pine and resin. Starts juicy, finishes a little bitter. Again, nicely balanced but uninspiring.

F: there's some creaminess here -- but also a pretty thin body.

O: a very fine drinkable beer. Honestly I can get better year round shelf IPAs in NY, which is confusing given this beer's hype. I bought one can to try at the bar, and quickly put my six pack back on the shelf. Just no need to spend my money here when I can get Singlecut with relative ease, not to mention Captain's Daughter, Pipeworks, Sixpoint, Jai Alai, etc. on a regular basis. I recognize that my overall write-up is commenting on the unworthiness of this beer's hype, but I note that this hype and missed expectation did NOT AFFECT MY REVIEW SCORE (even my overall score).

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pours a clear, deep copper with a thin white head of foam. Quickly fades into a light lacing. Good carbonation. Strong aroma of pine resin and grapefruit along with notes of citrus, peaches, and green apples. Light weight and decently creamy mouthfeel. Sweet yet bitter with lots of pine and grapefruit. Sweet, malty finish with a bit of bitterness on the back end.

I'm not a huge fan of amber/red ales, but I decided to give this one a try because of all the hops that are used to brew it. I'm glad I did. This beer, in my opinion, drinks like an IPA in most aspects. Maybe a little more malty than your standard IPA, but just as good in terms of flavor. Either way, definitely a quality brew.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company