Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,388 | Hads: 7,787
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a hard beer to find and it's not cheap either. After reading some of the comments written about this beer I thought I would take a chance and try it. I have nothing new to add about this beer! It is a very hoppy beer, with the requisite bitter bite, yet it is so smooth and drinkable it's very hard to put down. If you enjoy an IPA style beer, and you really crave a hit of hops, I couldn't recommend a beer more than a Troegs Nugget Nectar. (449 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

A nice hoppy Amber courtesy of markgugs ('07) & PEBKAC ('08)...

Two fingers of thick foam appear, some yeast/sediment floats under the surface, without dispersing into the full body of the liquid. Sticky lacing coats the sides of the pint glass. Color is a deep amber with fine clarity.

Piney, resiny aroma of fresh picked hop cones, some vague citrus and malt also.

Taste has a big grapefruit component, some tangerine, with a light malty back end. Hoppy bitterness lingers briefly. Very malty and smooth on the palate. Sessionable. (537 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Troegs Case Review #2

12oz bottle -> goblet
botted on: 02.13.2007 (on the bottle)
freshest by: 07.13.2007 (on the case)
purchased: 02.22.07

Pours a clear dark oranged amber with a thick tight bone white head that leaves sheets of thin lace. Carbonation is slow and steady.

Nose: Orange juice, pineapple, all citrus hops all the time, a little sassy spiceyness and some toasy malts lingering behind the scenes

A nice malt base backs up the hop slam of flavor and bitterness. Sweet hop citrus flavors tingle the lips as bitterness creeps up and last and last.

Mouthfeel is semi-thick and dry.

Balanced, hoppy, sweet and delicious!! The first day a bought home the case i had a real hard time stopping myself from drinking the whole damn thing. The last bottle i am sampling now had to be hoarded away like the last kernal of food in a survival bunker. Easy to drink, hard to hold on to, thus i noticed no real differences between the first swig and the last. (981 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Note: This is perhaps a somewhat unfair review since I'm reviewing it based on the fact that it tastes like a weak IPA rather than reviewing to style. For an amber, it's pretty damn good.

I received this brew a couple months ago as part of a highly lopsided (in my favor) trade with BA sirhc. Not only did he hook me up with this brew, but I also got a sneak preview when we passed a bottle around at a recent meeting. I remember liking it, but I don't remember much. Now I get a full dose to myself. I'm looking forward to it.

Keeping a level playing field, this is about the 900th beer in a row that I've poured into my Stone IRS tulip glass. Its appearance was nothing special - a light, transparent copper body with a finger of foam that didn't hold out for long before descending into a murky lace surrounded by a white halo. Reminds me a bit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

A little swirl and sniff revealed some awesome citrusy hops. This, clearly, is where the "nectar" begins to come into play - a mix of sweet tangerine, sour grapefruit, and pine. My breathing, as usual, is a little obstructed, and I can still get enough of a sense of the odor for my mouth to water.

The first sip was not quite what I expected, but it was still tasty. A bit of piney and grapefruity bitterness kicks things off, followed by a warming, smooth, creamy honey-like flavor and texture and a splash of tangerine. I expected the sweetness to be more dominant, but the brew was actually well-balanced - not too sweet, not too bitter.

I remember reading that this brew is best consumed fresh, so perhaps I waited too long, but it wasn't quite as flavorful as I had expected. The flavors that were present were good, but not quite potent enough, and the body felt a bit watered down. Good for drinkability, bad for mouthfeel.

I remember enjoying this beer much more when I sampled it initially, so one of these days I'll have to track down a fresh batch and give it another shot. (1,966 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Recieved this bottle as part of a trade with JasonM of Pittsburgh,PA.

Pours a beautiful amber color. Slightly off white head. Mildly carbonated. Smell is somewhat piney. Taste starts of piney and finishes with a bit of citrusy bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly oily. Very drinkable.

Tastes more like a mild DIPA than a standard american amber. But it is nonetheless very delicious, and light enough to have in the afternoon. (430 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is awe inspiring. I love it. I've been busy this past six weeks or so and largely missed my opportunity to quaff some on tap while it was available. Then, this past Tuesday at Sharp Edge Creekhouse, I made up for it.

Lovely clear orange-amber, thick head, good lacing. Sticky lacing, too. Just a fine beer to look at.

Sweet, sweet floral hop character to the aroma. Perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Almost orange blossom-y in nature.
The promise of nuggety hop goodness awaits.

And flavor-wise, the promise is fulfilled. Explosion of floral hops, with mild pine and citrus in the background. Smooth and not overly bitter.

Perfectly balanced mouth feel, immensely refreshing. Goes down smooth and clean. Highly drinkable.

Bottom line: Awe inspiring. I'm just kicking myself that I haven't spent the last month getting this everywhere it's available. To make up, I'm getting two cases this afternoon. (928 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a light golden amber color with better than a full finger fluffy white head that resists fading. A nice amount of lacing is present.

The smell is aggressive citrus orange and floral pine with a basic malt undertone.

The mouth feel is immediate and consuming hops. It's not overly carbonated.

Past the HOP sensation there is underlying sweet flavor that tends to linger some.

I'm giving it a WOW for complexity and imagination. Drinkability - i enjoy it, but i can see myself drinking more than one at a sitting. (529 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

This is a re-review:

A: A great fluffy white head with a beautiful reddish hue

S: the aroma is almost all hops, but with a picture oh a hand crushing a hop bud on the bottle, this should not be a surprise there is a bit of a citrus note in this beer but not like a strong 2ipa

T: Extremely smooth and easy to drink. there is an undercurrent of malt that is slightly masked by the hop character. there is a little bit of grain bread in here as well with a tart bittering finish

M/D: this beer is extremely clean given the varied sensations. it has a bit of a creamy nature with a bitter puckering but nothing that clings to the mouth (636 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer pours a slightly darker amber color. It has a white head that falls quickly. The aroma is overwhelmingly hoppy grapefruit. A very American hoppy aroma overall. The flavor is surprisingly smooth. There is very little hop bitterness compared to the aroma but a bunch of hop flavor mostly consisting of grapefruit flavors. The background is very smooth and the beer is very balanced overall.

On a side note, how does get classified as an Imperial Amber instead of an Imperial IPA? I realize that it's an amber, but I would easily fit into the Imperial IPA category. (575 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Modest bumpy bone-white head comprised of bubbles of all sizes. But the head doesn't last very long. The color is copper/amber with good clarity. Lace appears in small dots.

Aroma is a prickly hops leaning toward citrus, especially orange and some lemon too.

Flavor is where it's at, providing a depth of flavor that takes you through the whole spectrum of all that hops can offer. Succulent fruits, bitter grapefruit rind, flowery perfume-laced delicateness, earthy huskiness...well-incorporated with the rest of the ingredients. Malt backbone is firm while playing a subtle role, highlighting the depth-heavy orange-leaning hop flavor. Finishes sweet and tangy.

Higher carbonation level makes things sizzle...would've liked a little less action in this department, but I'm sure others think it's just fine. And it is. No big complaint really.

Strikes these tastebuds as more IPA than Amber Ale, but whatever, this is a delicious lip-smacking offering from the high-quality Troegs brewery. (1,002 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Coppery orange in color, good sized white head and retention, some lacing.

Smell: Juicy, citrusy hops, with a good dose of caramel. Nice.

Taste: Wouldn't have guessed it was 7.5% alcohol. Maltier than I expected, but I guess that's what makes it an amber rather than an APA. Flavor profile is much the same as the nose: juicy, citrusy hops and caramel malts.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium-body, good carbonation.

Drinkability: Good, but body a little heavy for the style perhaps. I didn't realize this was a seasonal - perhaps a bit overrated on the whole. (576 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE: 6/25/08 - 4.5/4.5/5.4.5/4.5
Some notes from one of the many bottles I've had this summer. Beautiful bright amber color with a huge billowy head and excellent lacing. Strong grapefruit and citrus, tons of bread, and spicy hop bitterness. Roasted, toffee malt, and light cookies. A hugely hoppy beer that's basically perfectly balanced. One of my favorite beers of all time.

ORIGINAL: 3/18/07 - 4.5/5/4.5/4.5/4.5
12 oz bottle into a mug. Pours a fairly strong copper-orange color with a nice two finger white head. Lacing forms immediately. Crystal clear beer. Strong nose, lots of hops right off the bat. Spices and scent of sweet dried apricots. Excellent smell. Nice taste, although not as hoppy as the scent would have you expect. Fairly nice balance of hops and malt, actually. Son enough, though, the fairly strong hops hit you. Nice floral esters. Light fruity flavors as well, that apricot is sitting in the background. Nice mouthfeel, medium body with good carbonation. Overall, another great beer from Troegs (I seem to say that a lot). I am consistently impressed with the originality and quality of their beers. This one's right up there with the Hopback for me, a really excellent beer. (1,207 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle to a tall pint glass at home on a rainy St. Patrick’s Day afternoon.

A: Brilliant orange/amber coloring. Very clear. Nice thick head, about a finger plus, with loads of retention. Gorgeous.
S: All hop citrus in the nose. Mostly grapefruit and a little pine scent. Can also catch a faint scent of malt sugar coming through.
T: The hop oils burst in your mouth immediately. Tons of hop spiciness, both the citrus/grapefruit flavor as well as the piney/bitter bite. Towards the middle you have the slightest hint of caramel of the malt sugars, but the ending is back with the hops allowing for a dry finish and warm alcohol glow.
M: Good amount of carbonation helps the hop flavor pop in your mouth. Slick and mouth-coating.
D: Very. Big 7.5%abv, but not so much that it’ll wear you out quickly. Not overwhelming for an imperial. Definitely could have a few.

This is excellent for hopheads. Although the hops completely dominate, there’s still enough malt sugar in here that it doesn’t come off as astringent or too bitter. A full, well-balance beer. Exceptional, and as far as big IPA's go, I'm not sure you could ask for too much more. (1,170 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

HUGE thanks to todd1 for allowing me to try this!

Pours copper/amber color, absolutely clear. Nice white/off-white head supported by healthy levels of carbonation. Looks brilliant.

Strong smell of sweet, wet hops. No doubt this is a hoppy, American beer.

Punch of bitter hops up front... strong, sweet malty flavor through the middle, finishes clean due to the carbonation levels, citrusy-sweet hop flavors lingering afterwards. Great resiny-hop-stickiness left behind--perfect. I love enjoying an IPA/amber with great malt flavor to complement the hops. Very well done. Very well-balanced. I need a case of this stuff.

Very drinkable. At 7.5%, it's not a super-heavyweight, but a couple of these could make for a splendid night. (741 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer pours a deep golden orange, with an off white head of foam. The beer smells flowery of hops, very inviting. It explodes with hops, but remains balanced. It is smooth on the tongue, very nice. It would be a great everyday beer, but at 7.5% alcohol, I better stop at a couple...if I can. (294 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a clear, light amber with a white head that falls fairly quickly but leaves very nice lacing.
The smell is crisp, clean piney hops with a slight citrus aroma.
The taste is mostly hop bitterness with a bit of citrus in the aftertaste.
The mouthfeel starts with a carbonation blast on the tip of the tongue and is slightly thin.
Drinkability is good, it's easy drinking and is a tasty beer that will make it's ABV known if you end up drinking too many.
This is another beer that I prefer as it warms up past recommended temp. because more hops taste is released. (571 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

So here I am in 2011. Out of college for 10 months, jobless, and not a lot of prospects on the horizon. Those of you in the northeast who are reading this can vouch that we've had another "winter from hell" with a ton of ice, salt and gray days. Of course, I've been drinking my heavy Stouts and leftover holiday beers during this time but now that March is here, the days are growing warmer and longer. Sure enough, there must be something to look forward to, right?

As you probably surmised, that's where this beer comes in. I first brought this to my lips 5 years ago and from that point on, there was no looking back. Sure, Hoegaarden, the Sam seasonals, and the Ommegang Hennepin will always be the beers that showed me what was possible with 4 ingredients and some TLC in the brewing process, but if there was anything that served as the tipping point in my journey through the malted barley beverages of the world, there's no doubt that this was it.

I always get my beers from the same local store here in Jersey where they take beer seriously and attempt to match the brews up with the customer preferences. I was never picky and would try anything at least once - which remains true to this very day - but this came in late late February of 2006, I was told that this was the real deal and worth the hype. Being the skeptic that I was and still am to a slight extent, I wasn't sure what to expect.

As you can probably guess, this is where I get my bluff called. Bought it, brought it home, and gave it a good crack on a somewhat mild night not unlike the one we're having in New Jersey tonight. To say that nothing compared to this would be an understatement. For starters, the aroma was so perfect that I swear that this was brewed as a unit and not a collection of different hops. Not only did it fill my pint glass, but I could smell it from at least a foot or two away once I opened the bottle up.

To top it off, the hue was a gorgeous, radiant amber with a fluffy head that lasted quite a while. Tasting this beer was so difficult because of the multitude of cascading flavors that meshed so well together. The pine, citrus, resin, metallic, grassy, and earthy notes are all here but nothing shouts out over the others. Rather, the music that they create is that of the sphere as they all fit in perfect harmony, leading to an aftertaste that only has a hint of alcohol and all of the warming and beautiful bitterness that one would expect from a bright, hoppy beer.

It didn't even matter that this didn't qualify as a session beer. Every time I've opened one of these since the first time I tried it, it's been damn near impossible to keep this in my glass for any extended period of time. To me, that's a mark of a beer's drinkability - how long is lasts in my glass and how I feel while drinking it, regardless of how long it takes to work my way to the bottom.

Since that day 5 years ago, I've had quite a few beers and have done a lot of reading on this site regarding what's popular and what people think of this. Sure, this is beat out on the rankings but a lot of Stouts and Imperial Pale Ales that are strong and more potent in the alcohol and flavor departments. No matter - like any great craft beer, this varies a bit year by year but I still get the same sense of wonder and amazement every year when I crack one of these open and realize that another winter is nearly in the books. Say what you wish, this may never be #1 in anyone else's book but it'll always hold a special place in mine. The way it's taken a grip on me is the same way I feel when I have the last one of these ever year in early April and given how much I love this beer, I wouldn't want it any other way. Nothing makes me smile quite like this, even after all of these years. (3,786 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to todd1 for this one!

Appearance was clear, light amber or dark orange with almost no head, just some lacing on the side of the glass. Some visible carbonation.

Smell is sweet lemonade of oranges and grapefruits. The raw hops are citric and resinous with some pine, very aromatic. The smell of the hops are a little bit pushed back by the sweetness. Great smell though, not something I have smelled before.

Taste is less sweet than the smell would suspect. There is the maltiness combined with a good citric, grapefruittaste and some fresh mowed grass. There is also some hard candy with orange and in general exotic fruit taste. Amazing how well balanced this beer is. The bitterness is not even that high, I expected it to be more aggresive. This must be because of the body. Body is medium and balance is superb. (833 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Clear amber-ish color with a white head that retained well and left good lacing. Smell was plenty hoppy as expected; piney, resiny hops dominate, perhaps a bit of citrus too. There is a little bit of malt prescence, emphasis on the little; this one is plenty hoppy with the same attributes as noted in the nose. Highly carbonated with less than medium body. This is pretty good, would definately drink more of it and it would probably find a good home in my fridge if not for it's distance from me. Luckily for me I have a somewhat-local brewer making a hoppy amber so no worries for me. Worth trying if you run across it. (622 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

poured into a nonic glass from a 12oz brown long necked bottle with a crimped on cap. My 250th review.

Clear,medium amber color with a 2" frothy white head,decent retention leaving clumpy spotty lacing down the glass.

Intense hop nose,very clean lots of pine,grapefruit,pineapple,resiny. Buried the malt nose out. Great hop aroma, like freshly crushed hop cones.

Fresh clean hop tastes piney,grapefruity, with some burnt carmellness. Very hoppy not much maltiness,yet it has a balanced feel. The hoppiness was intense but not overwelming.

Has a light mouthfeel,not real malty the hoppiness gave an oil slick feel. Can't belive how smooth this beer was with all the hoppiness. Increadible.
Goes down easily,feels so light the hoppiness just creeps up on you slowly,it just doesn't overtake the palate. Leaves a great hop taste lingering on and on.
The drinkability is unbeliveable for the hoppiness,the great hoppy taste makes me want to keep drinking this beer.
A must try beer if you like hops! (1,011 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Very nice, clear reddish golden color with a bone white head that is supple at first and dissipates slowly leaving some incredible lacing and sticking all over the glass. Huge pine nose up front with hints of grapefruit and slight caramel-y sweetness - this smells incredible. The taste is so wonderfully balanced - hops punch you in the face to start with a very nice malty & sweet finish. Absolutely incredible. Mouthfeel is crisp and creamy - so good. I literally could drink this instead of water. If this was dropped instead of bombs, wars would stop and everyone would love each other. Phenomenal stuff. Highest Recommendation. (659 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a bronze golden with generous head that lasts and laces. Head is ivory and a little coarse. Nose is fabulous, slightly musty grapefruit, a little yeasty and grassy.

Taste is fairly bitter, not a citrusy as the aroma. Some sweetness as an undertone. This bottle isn't as good as the last one, it's been sitting in my garage 3 weeks and is showing early signs of getting skunked, but it's still a great beer, slight metalic taste at the edges. Still very tasty, finishes bitter. Mouthfeel is enhanced by good carbonation, a little malt-stickiness, bitter astringency. It's solidly medium-bodied with a little oiliness.

Overall, drinkability is quite good because of the pleasures of a great nose and great taste. Not a session beer, but a great sipper (761 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -4.1%

Brewtus from Applebee's at the Harrisburg East Mall.

A: Beautiful caramel/orangeish color with a pillowy but onlt 1 finger thick head. Retention is not good, but the lacing is excellent.

S: Hard to tell since it is a damn smoking establishment. The citrusy hops came through, though.

T: Flawless...This is one of my all-time favorite beers. Nice hop power at first, balance by a perfect sweetness. Very mild alcohol.

M: Creamy, thin and slightly oily.

D: The only thing that hurts is the ABV. Other than that, it is perfect.

Once again, another awesome Troegs offering. (587 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Impossible to find in OH, I finally bought a case while in Pittsburgh on business. PA beer laws mean you have to buy quantity I think...

All in all this is an IPA, not an amber. The color wasn't even very much amber. It was more of a light copper color. The aroma was intense citrus-like hops and the flavor reminded me of Ruination from Stone. It's awesome, buy it if you see it. (383 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a nice big head that stays around and has a good lacing. The color is gold/amber and crisp and clear. The smell is great, the hoppiness is fragrant and aromatic. Taste is very nice. The hoppiness is nice, it leaves a little bit of numbness on the tip of my tongue. About like eating black liquorice. Very very well carbonated, nothing too bad. Overall I loved it, it was good to try and I enjoyed it. The aftertaste is a little like bakery fresh doughnuts. (462 characters)

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company