Join our email list →

Pennsylvania, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,420 | Hads: 8,017
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This brew is absolutely delicious! It was recommended over a message board I post on so I had to try it. One problem, I lived in California. One solution. Move back to Pennsylvania! Okay that wasn't the reason I moved back but you can be assured it was on my mind the entire ride.

I headed on up to this place I like to call "Beer Heaven", as they have tons of great brews in this distributer. Purchased a case and went home and took out 12 bottles to let it cool in the fridge.

Great label on this brew. Nice tangy smell. Nice color judging from the bottle. I busted one out while eating dinner with my parents. My mom asked about it so I gave her a taste. The expression on her face was pure disgust. I laughed and continued to drink it with pride and joy. Absolutely one of the tastiest brews I've had. Nice hoppy flavor. HEADY, even! Very easy to drink for me. I'm really into Ales and the hop taste. I have a feeling I can down these quickly. The first one was gone in a matter of minutes. I know I know I need to enjoy these fine creations in life. I was anxious to try it, though. I'm going to take a 6er over to a buddies house later tonight to spread the love.

I give this a perfect rating!

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliantly clear amber with a full finger of active and creamy off-white dimpled head that leaves foamy rings and lots of lace.

Your nose is greeted with an assertive bitterness supported by yummy floral hop and fruity sweet malt.

Malts know their place in this brew... THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! There is just enough toasty-sweet malt t let you know it's there, but the hops lead the way with a smooth and assertive bitterness and loads of herbal hop flavor. Really spectacular hoppy brew!

Moderately heavy body is slightly slick, just carbonated enough to be very pleasant.

This is one awesome brew! This bottle (one of four acquired from Artusory, thanks!) lasted all of about 20 minutes. The only reason this doesn't get a 5 on Drinkability too is the ABV.

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

Nectar of the gods!
This is just an awesome beer! Maybe one of my top 5.

Copper/Amber pour with a frothy white head.

The most floral, piney, citusy aroma I've ever come across.

Tastes of orange or grapefruit with a nice sweet malt balance.

Medium bodied, puckering mouthfeel.

Drinkability is just awesome. Be careful though, it will catch up with you.

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking bee hive honey amber pour, topped by an frothy ivory head. Very nice sticky lacing. Nose of intense pine & citrus.

Quaff also noted above, and also a floral kick (which, unfortunately for me, is not one of my favorite flavors). Something about the floral hops that doesn’t come across for me.

A medium bodied brew, somewhat surprised at the lack of an oily slickness in this one. And I sure don’t know why BA has it down as an amber ale. Geez, this one is IPA/DIPA all the way.

Another great sample provided by beerbeing.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

WOW! Good stuff. From the first sniff when openening the bottle, you could discern different kinds of hops. The head was a nice tan with tightly packed bubbles and lasted almost to the bottom of the glass, leaving lacing all along the sides. The color is a clear bright orange. Taste...hmm....malty balanced with a strong hops presence. Mouthfeel was good...medium body.

Overall, very drinkable. Nice flavor and presentation.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: golden amber with single finger foamy head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hops. Yum.

Taste: Tingly, and hoppy combined with a nice maltiness

Mouthfeel: Makes you pucker (in a good way), hops stay on the back of the tongue leaving a nice impression.

drinkability: Love the hoppiness - but this 7.5% could get you in trouble as the alcohol isn't prominent.

NOTE: Also had this on cask at the Standard Tap in Philadelphia - amazing.

Another nice job by Troegs!

Cheers!

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%

The Troegs Nugget Nectar is not easy to find in Washington, DC. But a buddy of mine in Virginia brought one to me and said I had to try it. I was glad he did. The beer poured a nice golden amber color, with an inch and a half head. The head didn't last long but left a nice lace. The aroma was fresh and you could drink in the hops just through your nose. Tasted great. Not too hoppy (although I'm not sure what an "Imperial Amber," as the label suggests, is supposed to taste like), but defintely fresh and clean. Hits the front like a nice amber ale, and finishes strong like an IPA. This is a highly drinkable beer from Troegs and I would try it again (and again?) should I stumble upon it here in the District. The boys at Troegs have done a fine job with this one.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Brassy colored with a short-lived tan head, great lacing. Short streams of carbonation feeding through.
Big hop flower nostril-fulls, with maybe some grassiness and toasted malt thrown in. Citrus/apricot, piney, grapefruit and candy caramel to keep it all honest
Crunchy, though smooth mouthfeel. Perfect texture, found myself inhaling it and wanting more. Why did I only buy one six pack?
Very, very nice

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Got this one from the great Beer of America Bif thanks to Alaskaiscold. A giant foamy white head and golden amber liquid fills my pint glass. Sweet honey like smell that is very fitting of nugget nectar. Taste of sweet hops that explode with citric like tastes. Very smooth mouthfeel with little carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: an dark murky with a 1 and a 1/2 finger foamy head. the foam clings to the glass all the way down...i love this

Smell: When I smelled this it became apparent that this beer had more than one type of hop in it. The malts are also present in the scent. Smells real good

Taste: tastes as good as it smells. Sweet malts you'd expect from an amber beer and a larger than normal hop kick. Works well

Mouthfeel: somewhat thick and crunchy

drinkability: good but the hops and high alcohol could keep you from drinking more than a few

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours dark gold to orange with nice white head, fair amount of retention, eventually fades to white lacing on the glass. Grassy, sweet orange/citrus, and huge grapefruit aromas. Taste is sweet sweet-tarts and grapefruit bitterness. Extraordinary hop aromas and taste are assertive but well balanced. Medium bodied and creamy, a light bitter tingle on the tongue in the finish. Congratulations to Troegs for this outstanding IPA / Amber, highly drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Clear amber/orange with a tall, fluffy, off-white head. Decent retention and spotty lacing throughout. Sweet aroma with plenty of pine and grapefruit hops, a bit chalky with a light, alcohol spiciness. Interesting flavours. Orange Crush, leafy and grapefruity hops, with a sweet tart bitterness. Toasted malt and a mild alcohol tingle in the finish. Medium bodied, medium/low carbonation, and a slightly viscous texture from residual sugar. A solid beer with a lot going on - decent balance makes it pretty easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice amber color ;)....Slight head that disspates rather quickly. Smell is all about the hops. Floral, piney, citrusy....in a word: yum. The taste is nothing short of fantastic. Sweet, hoppy nectar. Floral and piney hops, with grapefruit and great malty balance. Nectar is a fitting name, cause this one tastes like hop juice straight from the cone. Smooth as they come. Rediculous drinkability. Ive been saving this one for when I was in a hoppy mood, and this one satisfies my hop craving quickly. If I could get this one locally, it would be a staple in my fridge.

Great beer. Hopheads, seek this one out. It doesnt disappoint.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

I got a few of these in a trade with my brother. The words 'imperial amber' underscore the main title on the label.

It indeed pours straight amber; a smooth, syrupy pour. Thin, creamy looking off white head meniscussing (yeah, I know, not a real word) on the edge of the glass.

Scent is largely grapefruity, which confirms that there were lots of Nuggets used in the making of this ale. American Nuggets. The neck label mentions Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops.

And, yeah, the bitterness is there, but it does not obscure the malts, so the balance is pretty good. Until afterwards, when hop bitterness lingers.

Nugget Nectar has a little bit of body to it, and is lightly carbonated. I can't really pick up any alcohol taste or odor.

Another good one from Tröegs, another PA craft brewery that makes me proud to live in this state.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a clear orange/amber, small off white head forms, settles down to a thick layer and big rings on the side of the glass, lots of lacing. Smell is nice and hoppy, lots of pine and grapefruit, some citrus, caramel, touch of alcohol, nicely balanced. Taste is pine and grapefruit up front, lots of caramel and toffee through the middle, citrus kick, then a wheaty dryness and clean bitterness through the finish, with a solid pine aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very solid, hopped up red ale, IPA, whatever it is its balanced and tasty, a definite treat. Thanks DrJay!

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Got this one during a trade on Dark Lord Day....

Pours a very nice honey colour, with just the slightest hint of haze. Head is one finger, off white, and falls at a decent rate.

Aroma is of hops, mixed with orange and papaya. Nice spiciness on the nose. Some malt undertone here, as well.

Nice hop bitterness right up top. Unfortunately, there's a slightly wet towel hint here. Nice maltiness follows with an orange overtone, of course tempered by the hops. Not bad.

A little high on the carbonation for me. It kind of detracts just a bit from the liquid, which is hearty but not thick.

Despite a couple of slight drawbacks, I find this one to be rather drinkable, and I wouldn't mind another. ;)

Be well
-UF

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the change to sample this one.

Bottle inspection: States that it's an imperial amber brewed with Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops. 93-ish IBU's. cool.

Aroma: Orange juice, lemon peel, citrus all over the place! Great aromatics. Very inviting.

Appearance: Cloudy burnt orange with a creamy, bubbly white cap.

Flavor: Bitter orange peel up front, orange juice sweetness in the middle, bittering and slightly dry alcohol finish. This is all about the hops. Very citrus-laden but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a touch oily, and lively carbonation. Keeps popping on the palate!

Overall impression: A bit of a one-trick pony but very well done. A hop head's delight! Simply a "must try" if you like hops. Strongly recommended.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Received this beer from Fish113d in a trade...

Appearance is a clear deep copper, not particularly amber as expected from the description. Head is thin with poor retention, although carbonation appears strong. The aroma is only mildly potent, smelling much like piney/citrus hops and light sugary malt. Light citrus hops dominate the taste at first, then allowing some degree of bready malt flavor to peek through. A small dose of bitterness lingers, as well as a nutty flavor in the finish. Some character is reminiscent of an Amber Ale, but it more like an American IPA. Medium-thick, with a minor creamy mouthfeel, the carbonation lightly pierces the front of the tongue. This beer didn't really impress me, it was solid, but not spectacular on any level. I would recommend trying it, just don't expect it to be amazing...

3.21/5  rDev -25.9%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for providing me with this beer.

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Good clarity. Pretty amber color.

Aroma: heavy on the hops. A little catty, gasoliny.

Taste: Quite interesting, a style I can't quite place (what is an imperial amber anyway?) but a little too sharp, estery, and grassy to be well rounded. Not enough malt. A strong ale, highly hopped.

Reminds me of Middle Ages Wailing Wench. If it were available in my area I'd gladly buy it, on occasion.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a redish-orange, transparent, with a small 1/2" fluffy head that recedes fairly quickly. Smells sweet with a very pronounced grapefruit and floral hoppiness. Reminds me of my favorite IPAs. This is an Amber? Could have fooled me. About the IPA classification, my mouth agrees with my nose. At first, citris hops dominate, but then it moves to a sweet, toasted malty flavor that I couldn't pick up on the scent. Finishes exceptionally balanced between the hops and malts. Mouthfeel is so smooth that I'm going to give it a 5.0. I'd give it an 11 if they let me. Great, smooth, medium mouth that doesn't allow me to put the bottle down for more than a few seconds. Drinkability is very nice as well. Many thanks to a couple of friends that aided in getting this to me. I wish I could get this in California.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Got 3 in a trade with zrrbrrt

A: Pours an amber color with red hues. Nice initial half finger white head that dissipates quickly leaving a whit efilm on top. Bubbles making their way up from the bottom.
S: Aromas of pine dominate with a background of citrus fruit and grass. Malt is noticeable if you take a huge wiff.
T: Piney and grassy hop blast hits your taste buds first followed by a mixture of bready malts and citrus fruit. Bitter aftertaste is very nice with a lemony/grapefruit injection to remind you of the initial taste.
M & D: Smooth drinking ale. Slightly oily at the roof of the mouth and a bit tingly on the sides of the tongue. Good level of carbonation doesn't take away from the hop blast. Drinkability is very high on this offering from Troegs. Sessionable, but beware that abv might creep up on you.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to meathookjones for this one. Another very good choice included by him as just a nice gesture in a trade.

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a huge dense head that places a thick lace all around the snifter.

Scent is of huge, piney, grassy hops. Burried deep in there is carmel malts as well. Very nice, the scent just makes my mouth water.

Taste is carmel malts, wonderful fruits-apricots, pineapples and grapes. I love complex hop flavors, this is a prime example of that taste. The hops are there throughout piney, grassy and just a bit of citrus all at the same time. The pine ends the whole experience however. Yes, as I burp it's all hops. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with light carbination which is perfect for this beer. It is very smooth and drinkable, refreshing.

Drinkability is exceptional. Combined with the hops, the smooth and refreshing mouthfeel this beer could almost be a session beer. However, the abv would kick my ass after just a few. It is one of the most drinkable beers to ever cross these lips.

If you get the chance trade for it, buy it, steal it, just try it for godsake! Good Beer!!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A - 2 1/2" off-white dense head. Orange-amber beer. Great retention on a head that leaves some thick lace rings.

S - Huge hop aroma. Very IPA-like. Characteristic citrus peel. Also some tropical fruit aromas (pineapple) float around in the nose. Any malt notes in the aroma are initially subdued by the outstanding juicy hops. Some malt is apparent about half-way through the glass as the beer warms.

T - I was expecting the flavor to be a little out of balance from what I got out of the nose. Not at all. This beer has a very nice malty presence in the flavor. Caramel. Bready. A mild earthiness. All wrapped up with an awesome hop bite in the middle and a great bitter finish.

M - Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Slick, oily. Low to medium carbonation.

D - Drinkable to the extreme. Great balance for an "Imperial" anything. I only had one bottle so I was trying to savor it, it is so drinkable that I downed it far faster than I intended. Wonderful beer, well deserving of accolades.

Thanks to Maltygoodness for the sample.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%

What’s so surprising about this beer is how average it looks – crystal clear amber with very little head. The first star here is the nose – a hop soup of various hops all in wonderful balance. The taste is just as great in its hoppy goodness and drinkability but a bit thin on the body. This is a great tasting IPA despite calling this an amber. This is a must try for hop heads with unique flavors of grapefruit and wet crackers on the palate which last a long time once you take a sip. Wonderful.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, light orangey color. Light penetrates all the way through the pint. Slight head which dissipated quickly. Average carbonation.

Aroma: Tons of hops in the aroma! Wonderful! Smells Delicious. Fruity, citrusy smell also dominant.

Taste: Wonderful hoppy flavor, but not bitter whatsoever. Very smooth & refreshing. Hoppy finish awesome. I love how its very hoppy without being overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp & clean. Light to medium bodied. Carbonation & light body leaves mouth clean & fresh.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable! Wonderfully clean, easy drinking beer. I could drink multiple of these in a sitting.

Comments: I loved this beer!! Really tasty & well crafted. Malty enough but hops are the star of the show here. I was surprised they call this an Imperial Amber Ale. I woud have thought of it as an IIPA. I highly recommend this to all hops lovers....

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company