Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Nugget NectarTröegs Nugget Nectar

Wants: 1,326
Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,396 | Hads: 7,855
4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, light orangey color. Light penetrates all the way through the pint. Slight head which dissipated quickly. Average carbonation.

Aroma: Tons of hops in the aroma! Wonderful! Smells Delicious. Fruity, citrusy smell also dominant.

Taste: Wonderful hoppy flavor, but not bitter whatsoever. Very smooth & refreshing. Hoppy finish awesome. I love how its very hoppy without being overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp & clean. Light to medium bodied. Carbonation & light body leaves mouth clean & fresh.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable! Wonderfully clean, easy drinking beer. I could drink multiple of these in a sitting.

Comments: I loved this beer!! Really tasty & well crafted. Malty enough but hops are the star of the show here. I was surprised they call this an Imperial Amber Ale. I woud have thought of it as an IIPA. I highly recommend this to all hops lovers....

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Many thanks to Px2Grafx for this bottle.

12oz brown bottle, I really dig the graphics on this one. 7.5 abv, and imperial amber, eh? Can’t say I’ve ever had one. If there’s a date or bottle code on here, I don’t see it. Quite frankly I’m a bit too eager to drink the bastard to look very hard, though.

Nose is standard amber, with a noticeable hop kick. Sweet overtones to boot.

Pouring in to my trusty Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Not as opaque as I had expect, looks like a decent IPA. A very clear burnt orange with just a hint of amber. ¼” inch head faded quickly (I did have to fish a speck of something out of the head with my finger, which I imagine aided in its speedy demise). Not a whole lot of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass, but they’re definitely there. Not a whole lot of lacing action, but there is some.

Pretty tasty. Very IPA inspired, in my humble opinion. The amber is almost an afterthought. Very well balanced, not as complex as I had anticipated. A slight caramelly flavor rushes into a burst of very piney hops, with just a slight hint of fruity sweetness at the end. This all passes very quickly, with the hop taste being the predominate flavor. It’s quite tasty, just not very complex. This leaves it very drinkable, however, and the mouth feel is very passive, but pleasing.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

My turn to finally have a crack at this thing...

Pours solidly into the glass, big huge bubbles abound in the carbonation and I am ready to go, smell is of major hop kickback, alcohol and malt. Taste is brutally hoppy, stretching me to the limit, I love hops but this came close to overkill for even me, still damn tasty though and goes down well for a big beer. Be careful with this one, four or five of these quick and you'll be in trouble.

Final rating- I love it, like all of Troegs' beers but it lacks the perfection of balance of Hopback or Sunshine Pils in their regions, that said, it is a ramped up IPA that competes EASILY with the best IPAs you can find, bar-none. So congrats to Troegs.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This should be re-classified, as this is not an Amber Ale. The related Hopback yes, the nectar, no. Wow. My wife brought some back from her recent trip to PA. This could replace Terrapin Rye as our daily beer. The aroma was something else. Very, very hoppy, but also with a different, more mellow, not so resin-based smell. The mouthfell makes one feel like you're tasting nectar. No hop bitterness or chewiness. I hear that the lucky folks in PA can get this on Cask. I'm moving.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep amber/red color. Huge nose of Northwest hops. Hop explosion.

The flavor is a hopheads dream. Just enough malts to keep it satisfying with all the hops. Juicy citrus flavors - loads of grapefruit. The label does it well - hop juice!

The mouthfeel is decent, but just a bit thin. Could certainly drink more than one despite the huge hop bittering - unlike some big double IPAs that wear out the taste buds at one.

Very good beer.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle, served chilled.

Appearance - Poured a burned orange color with little head. Lacing clings and clings...and clings.

Smell - Flowers and a strong hop aroma tickle my nose. The malts and caramel add some sweetness. I can't detect any alcohol smell, which worries me :)

Mouthfeel - Less carbonated than I would have expected. The hops cling to my mouth and provide a noticable tingle. Overall mouthfeel is a bit on the light side, but not too watery.

Taste - I would call this HopBack's more ornery cousin. The hop profile is obviously stronger and gives a grassier, rougher flavor. Grapefruit is the strongest flavor, followed by some orange, banana, and spices. After the hop twang burns off, the malts appear and the beer becomes quite sweet. There is a weak alcohol burn at the end. Good balance between the bitter and the sweet.

Drinkability - What is it with these beers and hidden alcohol? I would have never guessed 7.5%. However, even if the alcohol didn't get me, my tastebuds would probably be fried after two of these. Personally, I didn't think there was quite enough carbonation.

Overall - This beer has been hailed by fellow advocates, so my expectations were high. Honestly, it didn't live up to the hype in my mind. Granted, this is still a nice beer that is well balanced for the style. It just wouldn't be my first choice for a hop fix. Still, definitely worth a try for any lover of hops.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - clear golden copper color with a little head atop the body.

Smell - very hoppy. one the hoppiest beers i have had in a very long time. Scents of pine needles and memories of a christmas tree come to mind.

Taste - lots of hops and malts in this concoction. Citrus and malts are coming together to create a great beer!

Mouthfeel - excellent

Drinkablitity - could and will have plenty in a time period. outstanding selection from Chris and John!

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours with very little head and a clear reddish golden color. Bubbles form around the sides as I swirl, while the lacing settles to the surface with some sticking to the glass. Whole hop aromas from what I can assume are the Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. They combine to form a somewhat mild (using the term loosely) hop aroma. Taking a sip and letting it roll around the tougue allows the sticky hops to coat my mouth while suck-gurgling releases the hop citrus and flower burn. The finish is nicely honey and caramel malty very reminicent of the Amber style - one of my favorites. I'm slurping this down so fast I'd better be careful (I have an empty stomach). This will be nice on warm spring afternoon after mowing the lawn. This should be offered all year round. One hell of an offering from Troeg's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

04/03/06- Received as a gift from BA member Lou91.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness dating. Poured into my Marin Brewing pint glass.

Appearance- Medium golden in color, with a 1/2 inch white head. Very nice cobweb lacing.

Smell- Extremely floral and perfumy in the nose. Maybe bits of pine hops as well. A light nose of toasted malt beneath the hops.

Taste- As the nose predicted. Lots of floral and grapefruity hop flavors. A bit of pine as well. Nice medium roasted malt flavor. Almost a green tea like flavor buried beneath.

Mouthfeel- One of the more bitter aftertastes I have encountered. Medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Great amber brew. Make that terrific. Went great with my chedder-port cheese and artichoke and palm bruchetta on baked costini. Highly recommended. Thanks much for the sample Lou!

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a dark gold/amber color with a head that quickly diasappears.

Aroma is purely floral and grassy hops. Very nice hop profile it seems.

Flavor again is dominated by floral hops, but with a solid malty backbone. While it's listed as a "American Amber Ale", I feel this is definitely an IPA. It's a nice change of pace to have something this hoppy, that doesn't have an overly citrusy "C" hop profile of other american IPA's.

Mouthfeel is silky and quite nice. Coats the toungue well, with just enough carbonation to dance across it. Drinkability is fairly good considering the alcohol, but relatively low for the style.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Received this in a trade from BeerBeing and from WarriorSoul (if any of you read this, I'm tasting your bottle). I thought I had reviewed it already, but I guess not.

White fizzy head on the pour. Only a thin layer left over. Apricot orange, perfectly clear. A few bubbles of carbonation rise from the sides of my pint glass. Good lookin' brew.

Strong aroma loaded down with glorious hop juice. Floral and citrus hops predominately. Some orange and a bit of grapefruit, overall fairly sweet. Incredibly inviting aroma that I want to smell all day, they need to make a car air freshener that smells like this. Taste is actually a bit different than the aroma. Very spicy and sharp on the tongue, more pine and resin come though in the flavor. I like the Imperial amber moniker on this one as I feel it fits this beer. Lots of hops, especially in the aroma, with a bit extra bitterness, but nothing overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, probably due to the carbonation level which makes this one really crisp. Coats the mouth well and hangs around a bit. Drinkability is awesome. I could handle this one all day, if I didn't pass out.

Good stuff man...

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle Pours a flat gold with an average frothy white head. Head deminishes but produces good lacing. A very good spruce hops aroma with a little touch of sweetness. Has a light body with a thin texture. The carbination seems a bit soft. Has a kind of watery finish. The flavor starts good and fades nicely. I would perfer more of a kick but its still good. Has a good aftertaste, seems to load up on it bitters. Its a very refreshing beer.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Have been enjoying these for a while time to review. Pours a clear orange color with a off white head that leaves lots of sticky lace behind.

Aroma is big on hops huge amounts of hops big citrus, pine some floral and herbal hints also man hop heads heaven here. Some malt underneath if you search for it.

Taste is lots of hops flavors citrus grapefruity and oragne, tangerine ect. mixed with pine and some medicine herbal flavors also. Huge amount of hops for a plain looking beer. Hopback Amber on steriods that said this is the best Imperial Amber I have ever had, even though it is the only one. Don't know if this is still avaliable but if it is grab it while you can its good.

Mouthfeel is not great but good, mediumish not much malt noticed for a 7.5 brew but the carbonation level is nice and lively.

Drinkability is great, buy some now.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is a bit spicy, but mostly its a big chewy concoction of citrus fruit. Poured a small off-white head that didn't last long, but left a few strands of lace along the way. Transparent amber colored beer looks lifeless with a few bubbles lazily through the middle. Solid malt base with a faint copper taste. Fresh hops dominate all the way though. Sweet candied citrus hops are damn tasty! Finish is mildly bitter, especially for a beer with 93ish IBU's. Solid body is soft and really leaves a coat of flavor in your mouth. Super tasty, drinks like a 6% beer, that spells trouble.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kmpitz2. Many thanks. Label states that Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops are used. Pours out a clear, golden, body topped by an impressive, three finger eggshell head. Excellent retention and profuse patchy lace. Beautiful to behold.
Aroma is fruity hops with a distinct note of floral orange blossom. Clover honey and pink grapefruit are very prominent. Delicate malt presence adds a touch of honey drenched caramel.
Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied. Feels very luxurient, with a prominent hops sting.
Taste comes off as very well balanced, but the hops take centerstage. Orange and pineapple are very tasty, with bitter grapefruit rind rounding things out and providing a dry finish. Malt presence balances well with a clover honey presence.
Another exceptional offering from an impressive brewery. Well deserving of its hype.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Troeg's hopback amber ale is one of my favorite beers so I jumped at the chance to pick this one up. As i was hoping this is an excellent beer. The pour is a golden amber with a large, bone white, thin foamed head. The smell is a mixture of powerfull, floral hops and sweet malts. The was a noticable amount of fruit as well such as cantelope and what i thought was pear. Taste was hops hops hops, but well balanced. Taste is of ripe fruit on the tip of the tongue followed by some maltiness. It finishes with sweet fruit and a powerful surge of hop bitterness. This beer is exceptionally smooth and coats the mouth wonderfully. You can definately have more than one off these beers, even with the alcohol content being the way it is. I wish it was available more often. If you enjoy well hopped ipa's this will more than satisfy you. Nugget Nectar rocks!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to goindownsouth for sending me a sample. Beers like this are currently unavailable in my neck of the woods due to the 6% ABV cap. Hopefully that will change soon. Cool label implies that this beer is not for the faint of heart. Pours a beautiful honey gold with a thick rocky tan head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass after every sip. Aroma is of freshly cut pine, with a little citrusy grapefruit in the background. Taste is very hoppy (93 IBU) but well balanced by the sweet malts. An outstanding brew that has no faults. I like hoppy brews and this one is the BOMB.

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

On cask at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium

Had to jump on the chance to have this on cask...

A - Poured a rich, dark honey yellow/orange color, with a foamy head that lasted the entire glass.

S - First smell is powerpacked with sweet, citrusy hops, but does not overwhelm.

T - The very first taste is a mouthful of sweet hoppines, and like the aroma subdues itself on subsequent tastings. The rest of the glass was a nice balance of orange/lemon like sweetness from the initial taste with a more floral bitterness on the finish.

M - Perfect creaminess like you would expect on cask.

D - May not be bitter enough for some hopheads, but a wonderfully smooth and balanced flavor profile.

Definitely more memorable than the pint I had on draught (not cask) at Fatheads a few weeks ago (tho that was after a pint of the DFH 90). I feel sorry for the bottle of Nugget Nectar I bought at D's last week before I knew it was going to be on cask. :)

3.18/5  rDev -26.6%

I had this also on tap at the brewery but I took a growler home for further consumption. Looks a nice shade of orange with a white top. The smell is not what I was expecting, I thought this would be like ground up fresh hops shoved in my nose. In reality it had a mild grassy-earth citrus smell that was limp and the malt was weak behind it with a touch of alcohol. The taste was sharp hop stab and a good flavor overall the yeast leave it fruity, this is not something I really like or dislike. A yawn in these days of much better hopped beers, this needs some more hops in the back end. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a clear deep copper with a creamy-like white one finger head that settles slowly leaving a sheet of lace behind.Sharp citric,piney hop aromas abound there was a very noticable nutty malt character underneath as well.I like the almost creamy mouthfeel its full in body but smooth and pleasant going down.Although a big hop profile flavor wise going on its neither brash or bitter its just a long smooth piney,herbal character that lasts from beginning till end.Lightly sweet caramel malt base holds up well to the hops.It a very enjoyable beer to drink just smooth as hell and of course hoppy enough to keep me happy.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

The Troegs Nugget Nectar pours from the wickedly labeled 12oz bottle a wonderful, perfectly clear golden peach color with a half inch of creamy white head on top. I really like the color and clarity here. Aromas of dank, fresh, juicy green hops rush into my nose. Citrusy, floral, herbal, piney resin over a nice sweet crystalline caramel background that a smidge doughy. Lupulin runs the show here in fine fashion, delightful.

First sip brings a typhoon of fresh leafy green hops. Orange and citrus with a leafy herbal tea aspect. Mix in some piney resins and you have one tasty, hoppy treat. There's a nice crisp malt background with a touch of caramel along with a hint of toasty dough. A tasty brew that brings the hops...drink it fresh!

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a sturdy blast of active carbonation on each sip. Goes down almost too easily and I could see myself adoring a six pack of this brew without blinking an eye. All hopped out but still balanced. This is damn fine brew that I highly recommend seeking out and drinking sooner than later. If you love those green, sticky hops you won't be sorry. Thanks to blitheringidiot for the hook up.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Executive Summary: Troegs continues to impress me. Just a wonderful mix of hops against an excellent amber backdrop. Here's hoping I find more!

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber pour, with a fervent cream-colored head that's loathe to subside. Lacing is fantastic!

Smell: I may have my new air-freshener prototype. Hops aplenty...just a fantastic combination, including two of my favorites: Warrior and Simcoe

Taste: What the aroma suggested, the taste delivers. Initial malt sweetness first combined with, then overtaken by hop flavor and bitterness. This is truly a study in the tiered profile a good hoppy beer can contain. The bitterness lingers just the right amount of time after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Appropriate for a complex, hoppy brew. Not as sticky as an Imperial IPA, but since this is technically not a DIPA, this is a good thing. Medium body with a light carbonation, allowing the hop flavors to take center stage.

Drinkability: I'll gladly sit back with several of these. There's enough variability in the flavors to hold my interest over a session. 7.5% ABV isn't enough to keep me from going back to the well a few times.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Light orange with red-orange hues. Nice two finger head from a medium to hard pour. Smell is of pine, citrus, and biscuits and maybe a touch of scotch. Taste is pungent hops and smooth toasty malt. Overall, like all of Troegs beers, this has a very clean, fresh taste. It's hops are more pungent than bitter really, but still bitter enough for the hophead in me. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is insanely high. Troegs rocks, this beer rocks, and my socks rock as well.

Thanks to warriorsoul for the sample.This is a quite a good beer. While the alcohol is very well-hidden, it is a little bit rough going down. There is a very nice fruity smell that leads into a harsh hoppiness in the back of the throat. It is there for a second or two, and then it finishes clean. This is a good offering from Troeg's.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Double amber, IPA, whatever, it's a terrific beer. An IPA, and not too bitter. Very drinkable. This would be a standard back home, thanks to Dan123 who will correct me, whom I enjoyed a good trade and lots of good beer in Atlanta with. Smooth with orange worked in..

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company