Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I gotta say, this is a good beer! I never heard of this beer before until a couple months ago when a guy at my local beer store recommended it. It had just come in and they had a whole pallet, so I picked up a six-pack (I need to go pick up a case!). I am drinking my fourth or fifth beer now (over a one week period):

A: Needed to give this one a 5. I know 5s are hard to earn, but the appearance...a deep peachy, golden amber, almost red-colored beer with a nice coppery head.

S: (smelling the glass I just poured) clean, super-fresh, hoppy, really nice

T: So very smooth, a nice bitterness from the hops, but not over-the-top, a smooth bitterness (if there is a such a thing!!), that mellows out before a sweet finish

M: See above...smooth

O: An extremely drinkable beer, fresh, cold, really nice overall!!

T:

2.3/5  rDev -47%

Poured from small-ish bottle (375?) into a snifter.

A: Very nice amber color, quite clear. Medium head.

S: Lots of malty / bready smell, along with heavy hops... And are those strawberries in there? Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be a very bitter and malty beer.

T: Not a hop bomb, but it's got quite a bit of bitterness and too much caramel flavor to balance it out. That bready strawberry flavor from the nose is in there, as well, but it's not great. Not my cup o' tea (or mug of beer). Unsophosticated and doesn't hide its alcohol well.

M: Heavy body. Not drinkable.

O: I'm going to take a couple more sips and then pour it out. Too much caramel and not interesting at all.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

A: Pours a deep reddish orange. Light off white, slightly yellow head, which fades quickly. Light lacing remains throughout drinking.

S: Very light sweet scent, definitely getting pine and toffee, with a hint of citrus. Unfortunately, it's a very light scent, I'd like it to be more powerful upfront.

T: Malt and sweetness upfront, with the pine and citrus hoppy notes finishing it off. Love the mid/end notes, but the upfront sweetness is slightly too strong for me. Definitely balances a bit as it warms, which turns it from something I'd pass on in the future to a really good beer, but I'd like a little more balance.

M: Great carbonation and smooth throughout. Definitely drinks well.

O: I'm mixed. I want the flavor slightly more balanced, but then again, it's not a DIPA. It drinks like one, looks like one, and so I expect those characteristics. I definitely enjoy it. It's so close to a DIPA I find myself wishing it WAS one, but once I get past that, I really like it for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Big thanks to DSlim71 for this one. No bottling date, but presumably 2012. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Jolly Pumpkin tulip.

A: Pours a deep golden orange with a full finger of creamy white head. Tons of lacing. This looks great.

S: Huge toffee scent up front. Some orange and hops are in there as well, but the toffee dominates. To be honest, the nose is off-putting to me. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

T: Again, toffee on the front end here. Huge piney, resinous hops follow it up. There is a very strong grapefruit presence here, too. The toffee flavor is really lingering for me, and I just don't think it's for me with this brew.

M: Very slick, oily mouthfeel here. The mouthfeel of this is very much like a good double ipa, which I really appreciate. Nice.

O: I had no idea what to expect from this brew. While well-crafted, this brew was just not for me. The toffee presence overpowered all of the other wonderful aromas, flavors, and qualities of the beer, and I just cannot get past it. It really reminded me of a more well-rounded version of Stoudt's Double IPA, which I had similar feelings about. That being said, this was a really well-done brew that has quite a bit going for it. Really glad I got to try it, and very well-crafted, but this was not for me.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company