Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros

ctimoney, Mar 30, 2012

TimPell, Mar 30, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

DaveD56, Mar 30, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

When I first tried Nugget Nectar, I did not know what to expect. It was recommended to me by a close friend who I trust greatly when it comes to beer. The first one I had I thought I was in a heavenly place. I felt like I was in the scene of Beerfest when they try the secret recipe for the very first time. It was the first time I tried a beer that hit on almost every aspect of a beer. I would recommend this to anyone to try along with any of Troegs Brewing Company's brews.

sidewinder1315, Mar 30, 2012

seanbren, Mar 29, 2012

shiningwizard, Mar 29, 2012

jurbanik, Mar 29, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear copper, with a 1/2" off-white head that slowly reduces. The ale is quite clear, and looks like a topaz or some other amber jewel.

Smells of full-on hop resin, quite piney and full of malt, with notes of alcohol, butter, and sap.

Taste is mouth-puckering hoppy, with sweet malt, honey, pine, mango and oranges. Finishes bitter, but not as bitter as you'd expect. Quite tasty, and difficult to put down.

I'd love to know the IBU's on this one, as it setting my tongue a'tingling. Medium bodied, it has a rather smooth feel considering the dry hoppy finish.

I love this amber ale, perhaps even more that GL's Nosferatu, which I always had considered my favorite Imperial Amber. Smooth, hoppy, flavorful, this is an excellent brew which I highly recommend you try.

TheHoppiest, Mar 29, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled 02/20/2012
Special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this. I bought a 6 pack last year and thought I reviewed this but I guess I didn't

A- Clear amber pour with a three finger chunky, soapy large bubbled off white head that leaves huge gobs of lacing everywhere.

S- Huge pine and citrus hops followed by a nice sweet malt backing. There is a slight mango, strawberry in there as well as a really subtle soapy characteristic. It smells exactly how you think that hop on the label would smell.

T- There is a huge hit of citrus and pine with a mango, peach and strawberry sweetness. Chewy caramel and sweet malts rounding everything out.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation. Slightly chewy.

O- This really is a gem. They know they have something special here and it's always a little hard to come by for a reason.

korguy123, Mar 29, 2012

beerme626, Mar 29, 2012

elBecko, Mar 28, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Pours a beautiful golden amber, about a fingers worth of head, clear, no haze whatsoever.

Smell - Pine, citrus, grapefruit and resins dominate the nose.

Taste - Nice smooth bitterness right up front followed by a nice citra sweetness all wrapped around a nice malty backbone. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel - nice carbonation allows the drink to be light and crisp

Overall - I dont know, last year this beer blew me away, not so much this year. Dont get me wrong this beer if PHENOMENAL but it just goes to show how much a palate can change. Do a side to side comparison to lagunitas imperial red, do them blind and see which you prefer.

aorloski, Mar 28, 2012

sdaly3, Mar 28, 2012

druptight, Mar 28, 2012

hagbergl, Mar 28, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled 3/8/2012.

Amber pour, plenty of head, strong lace and retention. A quick swirl awakens the frothy fury after settling. Fresh, piney hops in the nose. Citrusy fruit peels join the fray.

Strongly (nugget) hopped, still retains the sharp piney flavor profile of an IPA. A touch of sweetness midway through reminds me of citra hops. Good malt backbone initially, but this fades quickly to leave a lingering bitterness with some bite to it. Nice body and feel.

I can see how many would like this, but it's really not for me. Don't dislike it, don't love it. I'm not a hop-head, though I do LOVE citra hops. That said, if I were in the mood for a beer like this, it's gonna be Zombie Dust every time.

brystmar, Mar 28, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Purchased at Giant Eagle in Robinson, PA

A: A dark amber color with a head that is only about one finger thick.

S: Citrus and hops. Sweet, but not candy like.

T: The hops aren't overwhelming, but provide a nice after taste.

M: Not quite full bodied, but it fills the mouth with a very clean and drinkable flavor.

O: I would love to drink this beer again, and very often. Troegs has really crafted a terrific ale.

Riley, Mar 28, 2012