Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros

AndrewRoecker, Mar 10, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass...

A: Amber ruby color, crystal clear. Poured with a two finger foamy, slightly off white head. Head reatined throughout and left beautiful stringy lace.

S: Nice citrus/piney aroma, some tropical fruity tones, maybe some mango or pineapple sweetness with a solid caramel malty back.

T: Good citrus/tropical punch and light pine astringent bitterness, very nice malty sweet backbone to balance the hops.

M: Light bordering medium bodied, crisp, dry, smooth carbonation, little warmth from the alcohol as it goes down.

O: This stuff is damn good. Drinks more like an ipa. Very tasty offering from Troegs.

Dools9, Mar 10, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from the bottle into my Portsmouth Brew Snifter Tulip.

Appeared a ruby red, very clear color. It really is a beautiful looking beer. Head is average.

Smells great, definetely some maltiness, honey, and sugars, with a variety of citrusy/piney hops throughout.

Tastes awesome. Very refreshing. I tend to prefer malty IPAs, and this is exactly what I look for in a beer. Very refreshing, very fruity, yet still has a great hop profile to satisfy the bitterness. I love how this beer tastes.

Mouthfeel is good for the style.

Overall NN is one of my favorite brews. I look forward to its release each year. If NN was released year round I can probably say with confidence that it would replace SNPA as my go-to beer that I always have in my fridge.

AWESOME!

TWStandley, Mar 10, 2012

jkane101, Mar 10, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance is amber as indicated. Looks nice with average lacing.

Smell is a subdued sweet hopyness.

Taste is different from what I remember. Not as fruity and seems more on the malt side this time around.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but kind of uneventfull all the way through.

Overall:I have tried this beer out the last six years and cannot understand all the hype. It is very average this year from what I recall. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of to be fair is that this beer arrives here being less than it was meant to be. Very dissapointed and won't bother with this anymore. There are much better offerings out there. I think the fact that this beer is seasonal and limited, it adds an unwarranted hype element to it.

Update:3/23/12. Just visited my local guy and they had this on tap for grolwers. Filled it up and hit it as soon as I got home. I must say I may have been right about that 6 pack I based my review on because this tastes really different. Not over the top, but more on Q of how it is usually described on taste. I must say it was much more worthy of some praise beyond this initial review. I found the carbonation and hop forwardness more prevalent here and it makes an impression worth noting.

beercat11, Mar 10, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

StaindProject86, Mar 10, 2012

BierAdvoNikk, Mar 10, 2012

prisdefer, Mar 10, 2012

1p5v, Mar 10, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Bottled 2/20/12.

Pours a clear copper/amber with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is super hoppy with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors up front with a herbal hop quality on the finish. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a wonderful hop presence in the aroma and taste.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 10, 2012

smokejr, Mar 10, 2012

BoOmerG, Mar 10, 2012

Wizzman, Mar 10, 2012

M27, Mar 10, 2012

Edgewater, Mar 10, 2012

lknox511, Mar 10, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The wait is over...At last, this is my long anticipated, inaugural review of the revered and well-hyped Nugget Nectar...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 14oz Libbey snifter...bottled on date: Jan. 23, 2012

A- The label lives up to its description...it pours a clear, deep amber/bronze with a frothy, white head approaching 2 fingers in height...really beautiful.

S- Aroma was noticed as soon as the cap was removed. Citrus and sweet tropical fruit are immediate but notes of pine resin quickly follow into the aroma medley.

T- Bitter citrus notes hit the front of the palate with a tacky, resinous finish. Despite the hefty IBU calculation of "93ish," the malt bill keeps the hops in check and maintains a bitter, but not overly astringent character.

O- What is there to say/write? Simply stated, Nugget Nectar lives up to the hype and am ecstatic to have finally had the opportunity to taste/review this seasonal offering.

->Why does it seem that the best brews always happen to be seasonal offerings (Lagunitas, Founders, Troegs, Dogfish Head all come to mind)? Well, Nugget Nectar certainly falls into this category...get it while you can (I mean, bottle).

threeviews, Mar 09, 2012

dampfire, Mar 09, 2012

amcmaho1, Mar 09, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Deep amber in color with perfect clarity. Poured with a thick, soapy foam that slowly reduced leaving sheets of sticky lacing son the glass. The aroma is a fabulous combination of fresh pine, orange and grapefruit hops with an underlying thick caramel maltiness. Smooth, oily feel with lazy carbonation. Pine and citrus hop flavors bounce back and forth from beginning to end with a solid caramel malt backbone. Although characterized as an amber ale, this to me is the perfect IPA. It strikes the perfect balance of hop and malt flavor and character. This was also my gateway craft beer.

IronLover, Mar 09, 2012

brealbg, Mar 09, 2012

taddehaven, Mar 09, 2012

Peyton5410, Mar 09, 2012

trginter, Mar 09, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Thanks to greg4579 and Kirchhoff for independently surprising me with bottles of this. My wife and I are most pleased.

Appearance - Reddish dark amber body with a small khaki head. Nice sticky lacing inside the glass and a little bit of the head lingers past the first few moments.

Smell - Pine hops all over the place. Grapefruit and some peach in there too. The hop profile of an IPA with a nice dose of caramel malt. Not sweet smelling, but definitely malty.

Taste - Following the smell, but the malt is more pronounced than in the aroma. Hops right up front, but they blend nicely with the malt. The finish isn't terribly bitter, but it's enough to offset the maltiness.

Mouthfeel - I keep telling myself it's not an IPA. It seems like a heavy IPA, but the flavor is just distinctly amber enough to keep me interested. Decent carb and maybe a bit heavy.

Overall - It's tough to review this as an amber ale. It's really really good as an amber. As an IPA, it's good, but not great. I don't know how that sits with me. I need to be a mood for the malt backbone to enjoy this thoroughly.

Alieniloquium, Mar 09, 2012