Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
drinkiusmaximus

4.22/5  rDev -3%

I am not going to try to find some new colors to describe this brew. It pours amber with a fingers width head which recedes and clings..smells sweet,fruity and malty very strong likeable nose.taste is similar, citrus hop forward with a nice sweetness slightly doughy and a little caramel. unfortunately in my opinion the mouthfeel is somewhat lacking, considering this is an imperial amber i thought it would be fuller seems just a tad thin. with the thin mouthfeel this is still an exceptional beer would love to have more.

Prost!!!

02-17-2011 03:30:22 | More by drinkiusmaximus
gabedivision

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a standard 12 oz bottle to a Sam Adams Imperial Series snifter glass.

A- The appearance is nice nice golden amber, in the right light almost light plum with a thin white froth covering the top.

S- Intense citrusy hop aromas, grapefruit and lemons burst. Very potent and pungent.

T- Grapefruit citrus, mango, peaches. Delicious. Big hop on the tongue. Very floral, tobacco, woody and light malt.

M- Nicely bodied, dry and bitter low carbonation.

D- Excellent beer. Def a "HOP-BOMB"

02-17-2011 02:39:28 | More by gabedivision
BeerMaverick

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Took long enough to get to Western MA...

Bought a case of this beer and there is no bottled date anywhere to be seen.

A - This is one of the most beautiful beers I've ever seen. Completely translucent and perfectly amber. Light to moderate head and not bad head retention. Lacing is nothing to brag about here. Despite the large amount of hops used "93ish IBUs," this beer is not cloudy at all.

S - This is definitely a highlight of this beer; hoppy fruity whiffs in your face. Extremely strong aroma out of the glass and in the bottle.

T - This is the best Imperial Amber beer that I've ever had...probably because, like most people, I'm a hop fan. I wouldn't say 93 IBUs...more like 75ish, but perhaps that's the freshness I'm tasting(again no date on the bottle or case). In addition to the bitterness, the malts are very noticeable. Slight woody notes, but mainly an active fruit flavor (citrusy I believe).

M - The sweet fruity citrusy flavor lingers and it is complimented by the hops to create a wonderfully balanced beer. Wonderful aftertaste.

D - Despite being 7.5% abv., I would probably drink a six pack of this at one time...it's just so damn good.

02-17-2011 02:21:28 | More by BeerMaverick
Ipatsfans

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I am new to BA, and Nugget Nectar. I am excited that my first time drinking Nugget Nectar will also be my first ever BA review.

Bottled on 2/7/11, poured from a bottle into a Matterhorn Ski Bar pint glass.

A - Color is burnt orange, like an old penny or a cooked sweet potato. Head about half a finger to start, disappears in a min or two.

S - Hoppy, slightly bitter and sweet, hints of citrus, maybe tangerine. The smell is unexpected in a good way, I love the hop profile.

T - Delicious hop start, subtle bitter taste, much smoother than I expected (not sure why), after-taste bordering on sweet but not in a bad way at all. As a newbie to reviews and thinking about the full flavors of beer, dare I say it reminds me a little of a sweeter 90 minute?

M - Excellent going down, but slight lingering sensation that I don't love. Maybe that's the high ABV.

D - I could crush several of these in a sitting and think nothing of it.

Overall I enjoyed my first Nugget Nectar very much. Looking forward to another one in a few minutes. I will order this beer anytime I see it on tap, and I will purchase another sixer if I find it. I will not scour the city for it again though.

02-17-2011 00:23:47 | More by Ipatsfans
myatomicpolygon

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance- pours into my tulip a copper amber-orange with a finger of white head that dissipates into a thick ring and leaves good lacing on the glass

Aroma- juicy fruit gum, sweet malts, floral, tropical fruits, grapefruit

Taste- fantastic balance between the malt and the hops...the hops are definitely the star with tropical fruit, floral, grapefruit characteristics, but the munich and vienna malts provide a nice sweet rich toasty base flavor for the hops to mingle with...nice bitter long hop finish...

Mouthfeel- medium carbonation with a little bit of hop oils

Drinkability- Fantastic price and moderate ABV of 7.5% make this a highly drinkable beer. I bought a case of this and it will be my go to beer for the next month or so.

02-16-2011 19:53:21 | More by myatomicpolygon
harrymel

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Jrod1969 for this as an extra!
Bottled 1.27.11
Poured to NB globe.

A: Pours a beautifully clear orange ruby ale. The clarity of this beer is....wow. Single finger peanut head falls quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Very sweet. Caramel malts, cotton candy, bubblegum; I don't what it is about east coast big time hoppy beers, but they are so sweet on the nose. As a PNW native, I have a hard time wrapping my head around this trend. I don't know that I dislike it, but it's not what I'm used to at all.

T: Sweet caramel malts dominate this beer. Which I would expect from an amber. I've seen many want to call this an Impy Red, unfortunately the malt profile lacks the cara pils flavor Red's have. No biscuit flavors. The hops carry through into the flavor here, similar to the nose. Surprisingly, the beer is not particularly bitter. They did a good job keeping with the balance profile of an amber.

M: Just a hare lighter than many ambers I've tried. Medium carbonation. Neither slicking nor drying; a good balanced mouthfeel.

D: This beer goes down nicely. So great to have a beer that packs so much flavor and doesn't pack a high ABV for many beers labeled Imperial. If this was a local, I would advise folks to drink this often. Not sure why they wouldn't make this a year-round offering.

02-16-2011 17:39:16 | More by harrymel
SkunkWorks

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at TJ Finleys in Bayshore, NY. Served in a pint glass.

Look: reddish copper body with a slightly off white head. There is decent retention and a good deal of lacing left behind. Good looking amber ale.

Smell: wow! That's hoppy. This smells like a DIPA and not an amber ale, and I've had some of the hoppier ambers out there like Hop Head Red and Cascazilla. Big, resinous hops stand out with some hints of citrus, grass and floral characters.

Taste: follows the nose with a huge hop taste kicking me in the mouth. Pine sap, floral, some citrus like grapefruit. Bready, toasted malt sits in the background. Delicious.

Feel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, smooth with a lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

Drink: easy to drink. You could have a few pints of this without an issue.

Overall, this is a very solid beer. Its more like a DIPA that happens to be red than an amber ale. I would recommend this one wholeheartedly. Well done, Troegs! Cheers!

02-16-2011 16:37:23 | More by SkunkWorks
rudzud

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a random 12 oz bottle from Julio's. Why didnt I buy a 6 pack of this?! Bottled 02/07/11!!!

A - This was poured into my Duvel tulip. Pours a great copper colour with a nice one finger head that slowly fades to leave a nice white cloud atop and a thick halo around the beer.

S - Getting some malt sweetness but some really nice citrus notes. More orange like than say, bitter grapefruit. An incredibly light pine aroma too.

T - Not as intense or nice as the nose. Some malt sweetness and hop qualities. The nice citrus is smack dab in the middle with a nice piney/bitter finish.

M - Surprising amount of carbonation here. Really great feel, medium body.

D - Wowzer, a very sessionable beer here. Everything works really well with this amber ale, such great hoppy red ale!

02-16-2011 06:42:35 | More by rudzud
Cymru7

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

When I first got it it had that nice penny copper look to it and a slightly cloudy look. The smell was nice, kind of reminded me of a DFH 60MIN with some unique characteristics like more a pine citrus smell. Had an excellent taste, a bitter beginning with a real nice flavor on the after taste. This isn't as easy drinking though as a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but still is a great beer. I'll get this as often as I can while it's in season.

02-16-2011 04:43:56 | More by Cymru7
Thickfreakness

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle dated 02/03/11 FRESH!!!

A- Poured into a tulip glass with a creamy one finger head... nice lacing dripping down the glass. Beautiful Orange color with almost no carbonation.

S- Candied orange peel, grapefruit and pine... smells really fresh.

T- Big citrus kick! Like fresh squeezed grapefruit juice! Nice balance between the hops and malt... dry yet sweet. A touch of honey on the finish.

M- Such a perfect balance of hops and malts. Not at all acrid on the tongue, but not so sweet that the citrus washes away!

D- My first time having this fantastic brew... it will not be my last!!! I wish it was around more!

02-16-2011 04:35:34 | More by Thickfreakness
damndirtyape

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle (no date I could find) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: A clear orange-copper color with a off-white to light tan head. Pours about 1/4" thick foam, but this dies down to a thin ring around the edge and a very thin skin across the top. Delicate lacing of dots and strands noted.

Smell: Good and strong grapefruit and pine smells. Pleasantly hoppy and smells quite tasty.

Taste: Grapefruit and pine hop flavors right up front moving quickly into a maltier flavor (caramel...maybe, can't tell) followed by a bitter finish and some lingering bitter flavor in the mouth later. A very hop forward beer, but not so overpowering that it becomes hops only.

Mouthfeel: Some quick carbonation on the tongue, and then it's gone to be replaced with some lingering sensation on the teeth. A slick and coating beer going down.

Drinkability: Very tasty and this one was gone fast but I cannot see myself having another one right away. I'm noticing the higher ABV early on despite having this with a meal. Incidentally, this went quite well with a meal of Mexican scrambled eggs and salad. I thought it might work with this and it did. Pretty good beer overall - quite good in the aroma dept. and good all around, but I think I can only have one at a time.

02-15-2011 23:50:25 | More by damndirtyape
OldIronLungs

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this ages ago, never reviewed it. Happy to oblige.

Poured right into a pint a light pine amber/honey color with a quickly dissipating foamy white head that neatly clings to the rim.

Not overwhelming aroma but decidedly citrus and pine, very nice light prickly carbonation that is smooth and pleasing. Piney-but-polite bitterness that is between the malty sweetness on the front and back end of a sip.

Highly drinkable. The 7.5% is present, but so neatly in balance with the sweet and bitter it makes for a very quaffable pint.

A great example of a hop-forward amber that still wins in the balanced style.

02-15-2011 23:38:16 | More by OldIronLungs
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to hopz4life for this one.

Appearance:
A clear honey orange color. With less light, more of an amber. A single finger of head which dissipated very quickly, like a foamy cola. Some carbonation bubbles.

Aroma:
caramelly and slightly sweet. Some bitter aromas come through too. Hops character is both piney and citrusy, but not citrusy enough that I can put a finger on the exact fruit.

Taste:
Piney and resinous hops with a good smacking of that caramel malt. Bitter in the beginning and through the middle, but balances for a sweet and pleasant finish.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied, silky. Very smooth with some carbonation and bitey alcohol. Not harsh, not oily.

Drinkability:
I'd have another. I can't say what the price was, but it definitely seems very drinkable to me. Good, hoppier than I'd expect for an amber, but I'm an IPA fan so this reflects well.

02-15-2011 21:21:54 | More by evanlarkin
crossovert

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle.n Bottled on 01/25/11.

It pours a clear amber with a foamy and fizzy white head. The carbonation bubbles cling to the sides of the glass initially creating and odd, but interesting look.

From the moment you pop the cap you can smell this one. It is very tropical and citrusy in the smell. It has notes of orange, pineapple and mango. The malt has almost a chocolate rye pastry smell to it. I still want more of a bludgeoning in the smell though.

The flavor is the best component to this beer. The hops explode on the palate. They are both cirtusy and piney, with a high, but hot extreme bitterness. The malt is definitely noticeable, it is an interesting malt bill and it adds some very bready flavors along with a leveling sweetness.

I really like the mouthfeel on this one, it is a great carbonation level for that hop delivery.

Overall a very nice beer from Troeegs.

02-15-2011 20:13:26 | More by crossovert
julian

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in trade courtesy of 67couple.

A: crystal clear amber in color with a generous thick light almond colored bubbly head.

S: citrus, pine and malty goodness. This smells like a DIPA/IIPA.

T: Very nice. Mellow, smooth and malty goodness. For a 93IBU beer this definitely doesn't have any harsh bitterness...in fact the opposite. It's quite a smooth drinker and has an amazing malt balance that makes this exceptionally easy to drink.

M: Excellent. I don't know how this can be improved. This is dead on for the style. Great carbonation, great flavor, texture and consistency.

D: Highly drinkable and probably the best Amber I've ever had. Too bad it's my only one :( You PA folks are lucky!

02-15-2011 06:08:01 | More by julian
readbaron

4.03/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a beautiful, clear, harvest moon orange with the perfect amount of white head and a bit of sticky lacing.

Smell is incredible - full of citrus and piney hops with a bit of pineapple and a little malt underneath.

Taste doesn't match the smell - not so hop forward. Much more bitter than I'd expected, with a pleasant citrus/pineapple finish.

Mouthfeel is nice - it's medium-light bodied and highly carbonated. Finishes a bit dry and sticky.

02-15-2011 05:09:12 | More by readbaron
BobCS

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

A - sparkling clear, orange-amber colored, not much head but what is there is off-white and fine laced, very attractive and inviting.

S - aroma is pine and grapefruit and just a hint of something sweet - maybe tropical fruit.

T - taste is predominantly hops, echoing that grapefruit again but the pine is now resinous with bold bright hop flavor and assertive bitterness, carried by just enough malt and a bit of caramel to be noticed along with alcoholic warmth and maybe a bit of fusel, before finishing dry and with a long-lingering bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, restrained carbonation, and just a bit of slickness with noticeable warmth.

D - This beer is dominated by hops in aroma, taste, and finish, to an extent that will delight hop heads but others may find out of balance enough to limit drinkability. Delicious and assertive for the hop-inclined.

02-15-2011 03:23:55 | More by BobCS
yourchoice

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

A: A gorgeous clear golden amber pour. Perfect head that laces nicely on the glass.
S: Pine and citrus that can be expected, but a bit of a mango odor that is absolutely wonderful.
T: Very balanced. Not the typical "in-your-face" hoppy monster. Orange, grapefruit and pine from the IPA side, but malt, and brown sugar from the amber side. A very impressive beer.
M: Seems almost a bit thin. Very neutral on the palate.
O: Outstanding! Glad I sought this out for the first time this year. I purchased a six today, the first day my local had it available. I think I will go back tomorrow to buy a case. It's worth it.

02-15-2011 02:04:22 | More by yourchoice
Neffbeer

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz bottle into a tulip.
Bottled on 1/27/11

A: It pours a gorgeous amber that reveals some orange hues when held up to the light. There is a generous two finger white head that stands on its' own for quite some time. Plenty of great sticky lacing to go around as well, it is caked massively onto the glass.

S: Tons of sticky hops in this one; pine cone, citrus, herbal, spicy, and a distinctly dank resinous aroma. As I keep stuffing my face in the glass I am starting to pick up a respectable malt back bone, caramel and toasty bread.

T: There is a blast of hops on the first sip that just goes on, and on. It finishes moderately bitter and quite dry. As the sips continue the hops develop into more specific flavors, fir tree, grapefruit, spicy herbal tea, to name a few. The flavors of the hops in this beer are much more piney and earthy than some, but the Nectar holds up really solid in comparison for me.

M: Smooth and luscious, they kept the carbonation in check which really allows the hop profile to shine.

D: I could put this one away all winter. My favorite offering from Troegs and an all around excellent hoppy red ale. Get some!

02-15-2011 01:03:57 | More by Neffbeer
Dan3279

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

A: A great clear amber color with a half inch head poured into a snifter glass

S: Fruit & Hops

T: Very well balanced, not to overwhelming on the hops on either end, just right. This one definitely lived up to its hype.

M: Very balanced and enjoyable.

D: WOW, very very easy to drink, infact its too easy to drink, I blew through my single bottle a little faster than I wanted to.

02-14-2011 20:14:23 | More by Dan3279
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Ahhh... I guess it's Nugget Nectar season again and this was my first of what will be many for the season!

A: Poured a crystal clear, bright, bright, bright orange color with a thick 2-3 finger off-white (a bit of orange?) head that stayed stuck to the hoppy liquid below it for what seemed like an eternity.

S: A HUGE floral bouquet of nugget, warrior, tomahawk, simcoe, and palisade hops. Sure there is a big citrus presence, but it didn't have the grapefruit sizzle that a very piney, cascady IPA has.

T: Refreshingly flowery, with a bit of orange peel, but balanced completely by a huge malty and bready undertow. Wow! I could totally recognize this as an amber as opposed to an IPA.

M: The frothy lacing left on the glass was pretty ridiculous, but on the palate, this was straight up golden! No lingering syrupiness, and the bitterness was (once again) of the floral variety.

D: Probably the most drinkable beer in BA's top 100 in my opinion. I once had a craft beer store owner say to me, "People buy this stuff from me in massive quantities as if it were crack cocaine!" I'll let that statement stand as a testament to Nugget Nectar's drinkability....

02-14-2011 19:39:57 | More by Chaney
cosmo4u

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

purchased at cable beverage
type: bottle 2/12/11

You'll want to pour this in a glass because it's a beauty! Tawny orange with a sticky parchment-colored head of foam. Energetic strings of bubbles are clearly visible.

The aroma is total hop flower with a little citrus and warm caramel thrown in. It hangs in a heady vapor over the glass.

Hop flavors dance across the tongue: grapefruit and fresh orange juice are present. The malts play a supporting role here, adding just enough brown sugar and biscuit sweetness to hold up all those bright hops. There's a smooth finish that lingers on the palate if you can let it sit that long

02-14-2011 19:02:21 | More by cosmo4u
phillybeer7779

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Amber in color with a half inch of head. Great retention with lacing down the bottle.

Smell- Hops! Very similar to an IPA, very pleasant with hints of citrus.

Taste- Also similar to an IPA, very hop forward, but not without balance. Citrus hop taste is backed up nicely with a solid malt backbone.

Mouthfeel- Also very good, alcohol is very hidden. Pefectly carbonated.

Drinkability- Very hidden alcohol makes drinking several of these a very easy and enjoyable thing to do.

02-14-2011 05:03:33 | More by phillybeer7779
joshuacavett

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a bomber & shared between 6 people total at a tasting. I was really expecting a lot from this hyped up beer and I have to say that it lived up to its expectation. Sweet delicious hops up front with an almost imperial smell. Almost did not seem like a amber/red ale to me but more like an imperial IPA. Amazing smell, taste and appearance. The only things I would like to see a little more on is mouthfeel, but I really really really enjoyed this beer!

02-14-2011 04:07:16 | More by joshuacavett
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle (bottled 2/3/11) poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours golden orange-amber, clear, 1.5 finger off-white frothy/bubbly head that slowly dissipates.

S: Tropical fruits, forrest pine, grassy/floral hops

T: Juicy and balanced is what first comes to mind. Lots of tropical citrus (tangerine, lemon peel, maybe a little apricot), pine bitterness, and floral hop notes. Size-able body of amber malt that has a good bit of caramel sweetness, maybe a bit too sweet. Finish is dry bitter pine, pineapple, caramel, and spicy alcohol.

M: Medium to light carbonation, definitely a bit on the lighter side for the style. The body is medium to heavy with a good bit of stickiness and chewiness.

D: This is pretty filling, I can't see myself going through more than 2 or 3 in a sitting. Otherwise, it's a delicious brew.

02-14-2011 02:38:18 | More by Satchboogie