Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros

jh1982, Nov 14, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

mater, Nov 14, 2011

tbeq00, Nov 14, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Orange amber with a white head.

Smell: Hops, citrus (peach and orange) and caramel malts.

Taste: Same as the aroma. Hops, citrus, caramel.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, slightly coarse and mid dry.

Overall: An all arouund teriffic IPA. Love the hop and citrus blend. Very glad I received this as an extra in a trade. Thank you very much. Well balanced also. Cheers!

Heatwave33, Nov 14, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

bottle from HuskyinPDX

Pours a rich amber color with a decent amount of head, which dissipates quickly leaving some nice lacing. tons of hops in the aroma with an overwhelming scent of pine; decent carbonation, but would be better with more; taste isn't nearly as "hoppy" as I expected from the smell, but it may be just that the bottle isn't truly "fresh." Nice sweetness and hop profile.

I really enjoyed this beer, especially with a little age on it. Would love to have again.

(updated with second tasting)

bertram, Nov 09, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

750ml poured into New Belgium sniffer

A: Amber in color, a little thin and translucent. When poured gives about a one finger white head that doesn't linger too long.

S: Lots of caramel, light citrus and fruit notes. Really nice aroma

T: Light citrus hop notes, grapefruit-like giving way to a nice caramel background. There is a nice lingering bitterness that is not overwhelming. Got some real nice carbonation on it too.

M: Much lighter than I was expecting, nice carbonation with a gentle warming.

O: This beer gets a lot of hype. This was received in a trade and was bottled on the 19th of January it looks like. So not ideally fresh but I can imagine how wonderful this beer is newly bottled. There is a nice caramel dimension with the age on it. I will have to snag a fresh bottle some time in order to truly enjoy this beer as it is meant to be. Really glad I got an opportunity to try it though. For $5 this would be one of my go-tos if I lived in area where it was widely available.

DividedAvery, Oct 13, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

This is the Best beer I have had from Troegs.

Very hoppy, but well balanced through the entire sip. It doesn't "kick-in" heavy at any one particular point. Its a great beer from the first sip to the last.

If you like Hoppy beers, you must try. This one is a standard to judge other Hoppy Reds.

O: must buy for Hop heads.

jisom123, Sep 08, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a clear amber, with slightly off-white head. Aroma of sweet floral hops, resiny, with some fruit like apricot and mandarin orange. This beer has a great smell, just sweet dank hops. Taste is sweet but bitter hops, mellowed by sweet malts, with very subtle caramel notes. Mostly hops on the finish, leaving you with hoppy breathe. Though this beer is sweet, it’s not sickly sweet, molasses / sugar-cane like or anything. Not like a barley-wine. Rather, it has a remarkable bittersweet character that really distinguishes this one from other beers. Full bodied but not heavy in the sense of a stout or imp. ipa, soft but bitter mouth feel. "Nugget nectar" really does accurately describe this brew. Cheers.

AllHatDavidson, Sep 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear amber colour with an ivory coloured head that very slowly reduces to a lacing film.

S - Aromas of mango, grapefruit, bready malt, piney hops, herbs, and subtle citrus rind.

T - Same punch of a wide variety of hop flavors, perfectly accentuated by the sweet malt's not quite balancing out, but backing up the strong hop flavor.

M - Medium-bodied feel with moderate carbonation and a bit of alcohol warmth. I was looking for a bit more smoothness.

O - Great beer that lived up to the expectations I had for it.

SkiBum22, Aug 27, 2011

Poured into a pint glass, to produce a 3/4 inch head. Body appearance is a translucent hazy orange amber. Foamy off-white head, condenses a bit, eventually dissipating to a ring while leaving some sticky lacing on the glass.

Smells of lightly toasted barley malt, hay, a little orange and citrus hops.

Taste follows the nose, with an intense amount of sweet bready malt that is balanced by an equally intense amount of hops. Hops taste predominantly of grapefruit rind and orange. I find this rather harsh.

Body is medium and carbonation is light, giving this a slightly creamy mouthfeel. A bit of a hop burn on the tongue.

Overall, this is an over-the-top malty and bitter hopped beer that lays a solid claim on the amber/red world, while giving chase to many west coast style IPAs. There are many finer examples of highly hopped and malty IPAs--I find this rather brash and overbearing.

Beerenauslese, Aug 27, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Shipped out from a friend in NY...sat around for a while so not overly fresh so feel like this is missing some of the hop kick that should be prevalent.

However, very very well balanced beer. Very drinkable and even at 93?? ibu the bite is hidden (or is that the older bottle talking).

Scary seasonable? Esp at 7.5%

Try it!!

Rippeddisc, Aug 20, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Heard a LOT of good things about this one--looking very forward to it!

A: Gorgeous golden amber. Finger of white creamy head that dissipates. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells caramelly and malty and awesome.

T: Holy hell. That's like a caramelized grapefruit. So drinkable.

M: Feels exactly like I would expect it to. Fills the mouth nicely. I'm going to go ahead and drink this.

O: I want more. I want a LOT more. I'm sad these aren't distributed to Indy.

CWBlues, Aug 14, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Smells strongly of hops, with a nice grapefruit scent overlaid on a malty, sugary backdrop. Small hints of apricot and berry flavors also reside in the nose.

On the tongue, the flavors are by far dominated by grapefruit bitter hops, but the bitterness is not so much as to be overbearing. Instead, it's comparable to any medium-strong IPA, providing a nice tart tang. As with the nose, a malty, sugary layer lies just beneath, providing the apricot and berry flavors hinted at earlier. These are joined by lightly toasted grains and just the slightest hint of caramel. The aftertaste is almost exclusively hops.

Overall, this is an excellent beer, and though it's listed on the bottle as an "Imperial Amber," it seems to me that it more resembles an IPA, though with a distinctive and wonderful fruitiness. The bitterness may be too strong for anyone who doesn't like IPAs in the first place, but for hop lovers, this is a great beverage.

jondeelee, Aug 09, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

This was one of my favorite beers of the year. I had it back in the fall, and it was on tap for a good two weeks at Cambridge Commons, so naturally I was there 4+ times over the course of those two weeks--just for nugget nectar. Gave some to my girlfriend at the time (who ordered a Flower Power) at one point, and she took it from me, and I ended up with the flower power. The drinkability is incomparable, and it has an amazing light grapefruit, herbal type flavor to it that is indescribable. I would drink this all day if I could just get my hands on some more.

beerman999999, Aug 09, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Two-fingered creamy head atop a ruby red DIPA. Clumptastic lacing and good head retention.

S- Caramel malts, sweetness.

T- Big taste of pineapple, caramel malts...and oh, the hops! Doesn't hide the booze so well that's okay with this kid.

M- Biting carbonation with a smooth forefront. Medium to medium/heavy mouthfeel.

D/O- Loved it. Even for a style that is beginning(?) to be quite watered down, this stands out. Have had this since Dark Lord Day...time to pop it, overdue actually. Wouldn't mind getting a fresher bomber next year. Troegs!

Duff27, Aug 08, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A- A two fingered head made up of itty bitty bubbles sits atop a hazy burnt orange colored beer. Dissipates quickly into a ring around the edges, with a nest of bubbles left in the center that looks like when a beta fish happy.

S- This thing smells like hoppy pineapple.

T- Candied pineapple right outta the gate, its AWESOME. Sweet and tart with a peppery flavor to the end. I can't get over the pineapple in this, if you couldn't tell. The hops come through in a way that's different than I've tasted before. Has a certain sticky maltiness that is a real crowd pleaser (I'm the crowd).

MF- It's sticky and with a heavy mouthfeel. Well carbonated.

O/D- This is one bomber that I'm glad I'm sharing, because it's boozy. An excellent, wonderful beer but not one that I could or should drink more than a glass of. Way tasty and I will savor every sip.

fdkayti, Aug 07, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Amber color with 1 finger of head that fades slowly with chunky lacing.

Aroma: Delectably potent piney hops with some earthiness in the background.

Taste: A big punch in the face of resinous hop bitterness right off the bat that doesn't let up the whole way through. There's some sticky sweet malt in the middle, but it gets pushed out towards the back end and the all-mighty bitterness comes back for the finish, which is lingering and slightly sweet.

The Rest: A nice creamy body and just an absolute blast of piney hops makes this one of my top three seasonals. One of its only flaws is a slightly muted aroma compared to the taste. Never the less, I look forward to this beer every year.

curasowa, Jul 30, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

I tried this beer for the first time last February and has become one of my favorite beers. Its got everything I love about an amber ale. When opened, it hits you in the face with a very pungent citrus aroma It pours a rich dark amber color with a thick caramel head. Not only is the amount of mouthwatering nugget hops present, but also holds well as an overall balanced beer. Overall this is an exceptional beer and I cannot wait until it comes out again this winter.

BlackMath, Jul 26, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

I’ve gotta say, this is some awesome bottle art. A big, juicy hop flower in a guy’s hand, squeezed with such enthusiasm that it’s spitting out an amber liquid; quite literally, he’s squeezing the juice out of a hop. I’m in love already.

This is yet another one of my finds while in Cleveland; I was a bit sad that I couldn’t find any Columbus IPA, but this (and a bottle of Speedway Stout) totally made up for it. The bottle reads “Hopheads Nirvana,” and at “93ish I.B.U.’s,” I have no doubt that what I have right here will thrill my bitter senses to the core. Hit it!

Brewed six months before the date of this tasting (“Bottled on Jan. 24th, 2011”).

A: Not surprisingly, this “Imperial Amber” has a solid amber body. A gorgeous shine reminds me of Bell’s Two Hearted and, though the two brews aren’t the exact same style, it certainly brings back good memories. The head, while thin, arrives with a satisfying foaminess. It trickles down in no time, though it leaves delicate tracks of lacing all around the rim of the glass. It could stand to be a little more spirited in its appearance, but only slightly.

S: Am I imagining it, or does this one even have an amber nose? Seriously, the malts I get from this are mostly roasted, and the hops themselves are even dark. Anyway, I can certainly imagine why this is perfect for a hophead like me: the nose is an earthy flavor bomb of bitterness. These flowers are in top form. Fresh fruits make their statement, too, promising a sweet malty character to the palate. I can’t wait.

T: Slow and fiery, the army of hops in this brew come marching through the palate from front to back. Incredible. I don’t know how they did it, but this is the least overwhelming high-IBU beer I’ve ever had. I like it, a lot; it’s enjoyable, not demanding. That doesn’t mean it’s not hoppy or intense – it just takes its time to hit your palate. Before that, there’s a heavily roasted grainy backbone, supporting even darker sugars. A slight fruity edge gives this a unique element, too, almost like it is imported. Belgium or Germany, maybe, because the fruit presence is as mellow and yeasty as a good abbey dubbel or a bock. Either way, it’s blended very well, with a very dry aftertaste. A surprisingly well-balanced (though still hop-centric) ale.

M: Abundant micro-fizz…perfect for this beer. Slightly tongue-numbing at times, but that just adds to the experience. Flawless execution.

O: Well-rounded is an understatement with this beer; it hits the spot in so many ways. My favorite Amber Ale to date, and it will be hard to beat. I can’t see it getting any better than this; that is, of course, unless I can get it fresh.

BarryMFBurton, Jul 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Amber red colored beer that wasn't opaque and had a nice ince of white foam on it. It disappeared to some nice spots and other lace on the side. Smell of some caramel backbone with good hopps. This is a really great smelling hoppy red. It tastes about like it smells, which is just a really good hoppy amber/red ale. Fantastic for the style, I really enjoyed this one and am glad I have a few bottles left. Goes well with pizza.

RodneyX, Jul 24, 2011

Regional brewer kills it. Nugget Nectar is unfortunately a seasonal beer that is only available in the spring.

The bitterness of this imperial amber ale is forward and obvious but melds with a malty body. Head is exceptional and stays with the beer throughout the glass. Aroma again, pulls you back to the beer.

traillme, Jul 23, 2011