Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
psuKinger

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 12/21/2010, meaning this beer is exactly 1 month old. Not as fresh as I'd like it to be, but based on previous experience with this brew, it should be fresh enough for a stellar review. It will be poured into a standard curved-shaker pint glass.

It has always been my opinion that this is the best beer brewed by Pennsylvania's most talented and original brewery. I really wish they made this thing be a year-round, but it is what it is. As such, I just try to enjoy it as much as possible during it's seasonal release.

A: Pours a translucent golden-reddish hued bear with a nice frothy 1 finger head on top. The middle of my pour has taken on that big, forthy, bubbly look that I like so much and reminds me of pancake batter. Very nice. And it's leaving great lacing around my glass as I work my way to the bottom.

S: Big smell of grapefruit an tart citrus coming out of this beer. Very pleasing.

T: Wow. Smooth at first, with a very mild malt backbone shining through at first giving it a pleasant level of sweetness before getting out of the way and letting the hops shine through.

And the hops do dominate here. Strong flavors of grapefruit with some other citric subtleties (maybe a touch of mango?) dominate, with the near-perfect amount of hop bitterness at the end to balance it out. If I was to critique this beer at all, it could actually use just a TOUCH more hop bitterness to really round it out and make it a near-straight 5.0 experience.

M: Thick hop oils dominate throughout, and leave a good tongue-coating of hop oils on the finish.

D: High. This beer is unique enough and complex enough that it can be served solo and be considered a "tasty treat", but smooth enough and balanced enough that I could crush it all night long and be quite happy about the circumstances.

01-21-2011 20:01:13 | More by psuKinger
THECPJ

Delaware

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Reviewed from notes 1/20/2011

A: citrus hops, grapefruit, sweet

Ap: amber-orange with a 1 finger white head, nice lacing

B/T: mild carbonation , crisp, clean, and very smooth

Af: strong presence of grapefruit and citrus hops, lingers just the right amount of time.

O: wish it were available all year!

Cheers!
The CPJ

01-21-2011 02:29:21 | More by THECPJ
xnicknj

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle poured into dfh signature glass

Pours a crystal clear burnt auburn color with some darker hues around the glass. A well toned head retains with some bubbly film and plenty of patchy lacing on the glass.

A lovely burst of grapefruit hops in the nose swirled with some slightly sweeter fruits and just enough bready malt base.

Waves of juicy hops kick off the profile with an explosion of fruit flavor and pleasant bitterness. Grapefruit intensifies the hop attack, which wraps itself around the palate. A doughy, bready malt base adds in some light sweetness with hints of caramel. Finishes with another punch of stark hop bitterness and some lingering dryness.

Medium bodied, milder carbonation, way smoother on the palate than you might think, and goes down incredibly easy. The alcohol is masked just enough, and seems to sit just right at 7.5%.

There's very few beers at this point that I can see myself drinking more than one or two of in a sitting, and Nugget Nectar is one of them. One of my favorites each year.

01-19-2011 01:59:38 | More by xnicknj
tobin

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a nice golden copper color. Medium head that leaves nice lacing.

Wow! Smell the hops! Very strong hoppy smell...a little pine scent to go with the citrus.

The taste isn't as bitter as you would think it would be after smelling it.

Mouthfeel is bubbly but nice, would really complement a spicy meal.

Very good beer for fellow hopheads to try. Close to a DFH 90 minute but not quite as smooth in my opinion. Still very drinkable, though.

01-17-2011 20:08:12 | More by tobin
eagles22

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Review from notes.

Picked up a case from Troegs on 1/11/11 at 10:20am

Bottle date 1/10/11
nothing like 1 day old beer!

Appearance: Beautiful crystal clear amber color with a 2 finger white head.

Smell: blast of citrus! especially oranges and pinapples. Slight caramel coming through at the end.

Taste: nice bitter bite from the hops and also alot of tropical fruits with a malty backbone. The best well balanced brew I had in awhile.

Mouthfeel: very creamy and smooth

Drinkability: off the charts

01-17-2011 02:15:19 | More by eagles22
chcfan

Bottle into New Belgium globe

Beautiful amber color with an off-white head that sticks around for several sips.

The aroma is all hops, and I particularly like the profile. Obviously, on of the hops is nugget, but I believe they use a few more varietals for dry hopping.

Hops are up front and in the back of the taste. It's a little more bitter than I prefer, but I still love it.

Nugget Nectar is one of the best beers brewed in PA and it's a real treat to have it each year.

01-16-2011 22:32:59 | More by chcfan
Bmoyer0301

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance:

Popped the cap off this super fresh bottle which is dated only two weeks ago. I was greeted with a generous amount of carbonation gasses and hissing from the 12oz bottle. Poured into my DFH bubbled pint glass straight on and was left with a one finger thick bone white head that stayed around for a while. When I hold my glass up to the light there is a deep amber almost orange hue to this crystal clear ale. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of my glass which reminds me of champagne. On the swirl the viscosity is medium and not to heavy leaving whit streaks on the walls.

Smell:

Bright copious amounts of pine and citrus loaded hops. Oranges, lemons, pine sap, slight alcohol, caramel and toffee notes. Something that resembles grapefruits skins and pulp are floating around my nose. Very good!

Taste:

Ohhh man sooo fresh...Pliny ain't got shit on this beer when its right from the brewery fresh. Slick and waxy coating of fresh hops stick to my teeth and I'm enjoying licking them clean! Tropical fruits, minty, some earthy spice and slight alcohol in the middle round out all the fresh clean flavors. The finish is long and dry and makes me come back for more.

01-16-2011 21:22:00 | More by Bmoyer0301
Axic10

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I've been enjoying this beer for a couple of years now, but haven't reviewed it until now. Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber red with a finger of fluffy white head.

Smell: Nice bitey hop aroma, floral and sweet grapefruit notes. Smells very clean.

Taste: Bitey bitter hops, bitter grapefruit mixed with some malty sweetness towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Neck and neck with Flying Mouflan as my favorite beer from Troegs. I look forward to the beginning of each year so that I can enjoy this great brew and I shed a lot of tears when it isn't around.

01-16-2011 04:34:16 | More by Axic10
victory4me

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured bottle dated 1/3/11 into a standard shaker.

About a week ago I deleted all 75 of my reviews. I didn't like them, it was time for a change. I held out for my all time favorite beer to do my first review.

Pours orange-amber, perfectly clear with a one-finger head. A quality looking beer for sure, although nothing spectacular. Smell is not as overwhelming as I remember, but the memories it brings are pleasant. My least favorite thing about ultra-fresh NN is the pronounced Simcoe in the aroma (some will call it cat piss or urinal cakes). I can get past the Simcoe as I've gotten quite used to it over the years.

Taste is right there where I remember. Tons and tons of fresh, bitter, citrusy hops. The malt is there, but completely overpowered. Nice dry finish with a slight lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin, but not cloying. Strong drinkability.

Looking forward to drinking this on cask sometime in the following weeks. Not the best beer in the world, but still my all-time favorite. I am one of the few that believes the quality of this beer increases over the first month before going down hill. May make adjustments when I drink this same bottling date 2-3 weeks from now.

Very affordable for the quality of the product.

01-15-2011 02:09:36 | More by victory4me
CuriousMonk

4.46/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer several times in different places - on tap and by bottle. Pours a hazed orange with a nice cream colored head. Aroma was resinous pine and citrus hops with a good amount of caramel malt to back it up. Flavor was malty yet very bitter and hoppy at the same time. Such a good balance of sweet malts and hops made me want to keep comming back for more. Among one of my favorite amber red ales.

01-14-2011 17:09:46 | More by CuriousMonk
johntangus

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

I haven't reviewed a beer in a long time, and while it deserves much more than my pathetic attempt at a review, it was a gift and I'd like to record my impressions.

First and foremost, thanks to cmurren25 for the awesome beers.

This beer was poured from the bottle into my duvel tulip. It's clarity is brilliant and the color is a garnet-hued amber. The head wasn't huge, and mostly disappeared, leaving a small white ring that clings to the sides leaving a trace of lacing as the glass empties.

As I jam my beak into the tulip and inhale deeply, i get grapefruit and pine followed by a bit of alcohol - but this may simply be an aftertaste from my last sip.

In drinking the beer, pine and grapefruit grace the tongue. As the sip passes the back of the tongue, the rye and amber malt shows itself. But then as the sip leaves the mouth on its way to the tummy, the delicious hop bitterness assaults the senses and leaves the mouth dry. The hop presence stays on the palate even after the glass is empty.

The mouthfeel is substantial yet finishes dry and nicely bitter.

I drank the entire beer while writing this review. And while this beer is dangerously drinkable, I'm a light-weight and could probably only drink two in a sitting. Which is fine. This beer is made for enjoying.

01-14-2011 01:05:05 | More by johntangus
wvsabbath

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Burnt orange, much like grapefruit juice, 1 inch head that disappered quickly. Some lacing.

Smell - Hops, rye, lots of citrus fruits. Some carmal and plenty of malts

Taste - A great combination of hops, rye and amber ale as you can get. Its a bold sweet hop kick with amber rye flavor and bold strong malts. Hops are very present but the malts sweeten them up. Not bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - A real treat for you mouth. Bitter hops tickle tounge, sweet malts and carmael cover palette and balance this all together. Aftertaste is mild and bitter from hops, leaving you wanting more!

Drinkability - This is awesome. Only reason i didnt give this a 5 is cause it is 7.5 %, just strong enough to not suck down like water. This is probily the best beer troegs makes. Troegs really needs to make this year round beer. This beer is better straight out of the fridge of tap, dont let it warm up cause it tends to get a very sour flavor though.

01-13-2011 08:44:17 | More by wvsabbath
bs870621345

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

I have had a lot of this today...Bought 2 cases and drinking a growler with a friend on this fine evening.

Pours amber with an inch of head. Leaves uneven lacing down the glass, but still beautiful.

Smells like hops with a strong caramel backbone. Hops smell piny, citrus, and harbal. Beautiful caramel mixed in.

Tastes like some serious hop. Kegged 2 days before and really can't get much fresher on the hop profile. Strong malt backbone to hold the hops up.

Mouthfeel is a little thick with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is exceptional. I love this beer and could drink it all day. No alcohol burn, which makes it a little dangerous.

Serving type: growler

01-13-2011 03:27:55 | More by bs870621345
nkersten

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Chris. Poured into LA tumbler, a burnt orange color with some golden hues and a small off white head with ok retention and some lacing. Smell is malty caramel, some bitter pine hops, but very sweet and sugary. Taste is very sweet and malty with an ok hoppy bitter finish, lots of caramel malts and a slight rye flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium/light carbonation. A decent amber ale, but I dont see what all the fuss is about. Not as hoppy as I expected it to be and the sweetness was a little over the top for the style.

01-12-2011 21:16:43 | More by nkersten
jorg2619

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

I have drank lots of this beer but have never reviewed it yet new release today so why not have a super fresh nn and review it.

I poured this beer into an 8 oz tasting glass. A wonderful amber light reddish color with a slight hop haze in the center. Two fingers worth of fluffy white head quickly dropped to a solid ring of foam. I smell an intense pine aroma along with lime and citrus notes. The smell of nugget hops plumed out of this beer upon opening. Taste is important with this brew, and I feel that I fail to describe the complexity of it. I detect at the front of the mouth intense bitter/ sweet hopness that opens into a pine grapefruit peel like flavor that moves and changes into an awesome hoppy afterflavor and burps! Mouthfeel is not thin or thick and leaves a nice coat of hop flavor on my lips enticing me to drink more. I will prob buy two cases or more of this seasonal!

01-11-2011 23:52:06 | More by jorg2619
JayS2629

Alabama

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Copper color with a fine white head that leaves a thin creamy wall of lace.

S- Musty, earthy tones, sweet caramel, floral notes of hops, citrus hints and pine.

T- Musty floral hops in the front, notes of caramel and biscuit in the middle, followed by earthy tones, grapefruit, pine, and orange zest.

M- Balanced well, bitter finish, bright and medium bodied

D- Very easy to drink. Well balanced in flavors, nothing offensive. High alcohol unnoticable. Dangerously delicious

01-03-2011 17:18:28 | More by JayS2629
afksports

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Now that I'm locked into heading towards the Splinter Black release, I thought it might be time for a review from notes of this bad beer. Michael Jackson bad. Michael Jackson the musician.

It pours reddish amber with a bubbly head that settles and dissipates but maintains lacing and legs. Smells like citrus, rich malts and despite Nugget Nectar being a red ale, the hops are still present. At the start you taste the sweetness, caramel, toffee, like your typical red ale. But it's more complex than usual, and the hops also bite. By the end, the alcohol hits in at 7.5% but you don't notice because you're still enjoying the malty hop blend. It's just plain well-crafted.

Medium-bodied, deceptively drinkable, Nugget Nectar is a top100 for a very good reason.

12-13-2010 00:37:35 | More by afksports
rtepiak

Poland

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

a broad malted amber that seems double that of anything i've had. this is a completely clear pour with a sticky head of an off white... almost the color of melted butter. nose is brown sugar and pineapple hoppiness. palate is that with a nice mild quality of nougat. not particularly malt rich but substantial. palate is a bit floral that blends into something quite similar to clove honey. not at all as bitter as expected. a bit of assam tea bitterness with a sweet apple cider quality. autumn feel to it.

12-06-2010 22:04:57 | More by rtepiak
pmoore311

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Picked some up at Rozi's on a roadtrip back from Cleveland.

Overall this beer is fantastic great hop profile and beautiful malts shine though the beautiful clear amber color.

Yes, I would be satisfied having this as my go-to beer, great balance and hops make it just an overall well-rounded beer suitable for all occasions.

Definately going to seek this one out often.

11-23-2010 18:41:49 | More by pmoore311
OakedCanuck

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz poured into shaker. From notes.

A - A very slightly hazy apricot color, one finger white head that dissipated too quickly

S - Fruity, yeasty and a touch of sweetness

T - Great balance between the bitter, tropical fruits (grapefruit and orange) and the malt sweetness (caramel and some toffee)

M - Higher in carbonation but doesn't affect the mouthfeel, medium body, semi-dry with a smooth finish.

D - Very nice beer and an easy drinker despite the high(er) ABV for the style. Will be seeking out more in the early spring.

11-10-2010 14:53:03 | More by OakedCanuck
calir1

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

A very good beer. This beer is one of my favorite beers, but I lump it into the category of Torpedo, Celebration and Blind Pig. Although not reds, I think they are all about the same as far as wow factors go. For a once a year seasonal, I buy it, but most of the time would just buy a Torpedo as to not have to drive to Va for it. It is good and I really enjoy it, but not the wow as far as FEB releases like PtY and Hopslam

10-30-2010 03:22:08 | More by calir1
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Half finger head on the pour. Nice Golden/Copper color very clear. Head fades to a thin spotted lacing cap.
S:Citrus fruit, "C" hops, bready with some slight sweetness.
T: Initially citrus sweet, malty, that transitions to a bitter orange juice like dry finish. This is fairly complex for me and keeps me wanting more to see what else I can find.
M: Medium/Light body, fairly high carbonation for the style that stream up my Sam Adams 12oz glass.
D: Fairly drinkable for a bomber but not much more than that.

Note: I'm not sure of the age of this one but know it's not fresh so I think the smell is not as great as it could be.
The taste and smell of this changes quite a bit from the time of the initial pour and as it warms up, so I think this could be interesting to try a few times to see any other flavor that may be hidden.

10-24-2010 02:48:58 | More by Homebrew35
BeerAndBourbon

Bottled on 2/12/10

A. Pours a somewhat hazy orange with amber hues. The creamy off white head dissipates leaving bits of residual lacing.

S. Lots of bitter citrus hops upfront with some caramel and some yeasty breadiness.

T. Bitter citrus hops are dominant with a nice caramel malt backbone. Orange rind comes through on swallow and remains.

M. Medium body with a medium level of somewhat brisk carbonation.

D. I know that it's a bit late in the year for this beer (8 months out from bottling date), but it was stored in the cooler the whole time and I couldn't wait until spring to try one. I'll update this review in spring if I deem it necessary.

10-19-2010 02:23:09 | More by BeerAndBourbon
hophead247

Poured a medium amber color with a thick off white head that laced down the glass nicely. aroma has an initial blast of citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, caramel malt, and floral sweetness. Mouth feel is a hefty medium with great full coating and plenty of carbonation. flavor kicks in with the hop blast but a good dose of malt meets it head on. Floral, medium bitterness, and a long resiny finish. Been wanting to try this for some time now since alot of people make it seem like an IPA and hoppy as hell. I didn't get that at all, but I did get a nicely well balanced red ale.

10-12-2010 07:13:45 | More by hophead247
Lldeegan

Louisiana

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a copper amber hue with a white finely bubbled head.
Malt and a floral/fruity hop harmony in the aroma. Notes of red apple, cherry, peach and some musty and earthy hop tones.
On the palate, sweet malt upfront that seamlessly moves into a fruity and floral hop presence and leaves a very minor bitter taste. Toasty bread and biscuit flavors wrap around the fruity hop center and lead to a lasting finish that is sweet and breadlike with more of a nice hop bitterness.
The mouthfeel is bright, with a medium body a flavorful and refreshing beer.
Balance and simple flavors combine to make a nice display of the varied ingredient's flavors. The sweet maltiness up front and the floral hops and their eventual bitter bite make every sip a nice journey through the brewing process. As you drink you stay intrigued by all the flavors, so it's a hard one to put down. One of my favorite beers.

10-07-2010 00:55:50 | More by Lldeegan