Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,398 | Hads: 7,878
4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Fabulous looking beer, a slow receding pillowy head with great lacing. Bright Amber with great clarity. Smell is a little dull but the taste is complex. Creamy butter scotch notes at first with a burst of bright citrus hops that hit the tongue sharp but don't linger. Overall a great beer worth the praise.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Two fingers of head, which lingers for a long time. A very clear reddish amber color.

Smell: Hops are obvious. Very citrusy and favors a very orange aroma. Almost as if there is an orange peel floating in this beer. Slightly piney.

Taste: Very hop forward. Again with a touch of orange peel as the finish. It has a very bitey bitter start, and finishes with a refreshing sweetness.

Feel: Medium feel, carbonation is mild. Thr hops give it a dry feel:

Overall: I HATED this beer when I first tried it years ago. I also had a slightly dislike for most hoppy IPA's. (I know this isn't an IPA). After a few years, I gave this beer a second try and I must say, it's better than I remember it being.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle bottled on 1/26/15 poured into a tulip glass.

A - Ruby red with orange highlights, clear, with a thin half finger head that moves to a creamy lace.

S - Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's good. Definitely some hop like citrus notes, backed by a dark fruit sweetness and biscuit notes.

T - Follows the nose, but with caramel and pine being more prevalent. Bread. Faint orange.

M - The mouthfeel is clean, if slightly dense from the hops, and the carbonation is in the medium range. Finishes somewhat dry.

O - Definitely an interesting take on the style, and like some other "imperial reds" I have tried, there are positive results. This one definitely pushes the red IBU level.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

With most breweries' attention focused on IIPAs/DIPAs (at least in my area), it's nice to see the Amber beer given some extra love. I received a 16oz can as an extra in a trade and I'm hooked. Hopefully Tröegs will get distribution in Vermont and bring the Nugget Nectar north!

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Sometimes when I drink this, I just have to smile.
My first experience with Nugget Nectar was on draft a few years ago. Since then, I make sure to get at least a few bottles every spring. I have made the mistake of trying to drink one bottle a month or so- don't do that, this is one that needs to be fresh, otherwise you loose much of the flavor of the hops.
I just really like the hops on this one. I have noticed that it's a little different every year, and some years have been better than others. But either way it's still one of my favorites. I just wish it wasn't 7.5%, so that it wouldn't kill me to drink more than one.
I've tried Hopback and it's just not the same!

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

There is no, i repeat NO armpit in this beer from any can or bottle and the vast majority of taps. Those are dirty the tap lines my friend.

The nose is fresh green hops.

The mouth feel is solid and not to heavy for quaffing even being an imperial.

Taste s drenched with fresh hops and the key is that it is not overly bitter. Just juicy hops.

Overall a top notch beer in every way.

3.64/5  rDev -15.9%

Had on draft. Great in all categories except smell. Smells like your armpit after a hard workout. Can't get the BO smell out of my mind, but great beer otherwise.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a clear orange amber color with two fingers of off-white dense head. Solid lacing. A sweetness to the scent. Dense body and resiny texture. Sweet undertone battles with the hops but the hop prevalence wins out. Smoother and less bitter than hop forward IPAs. Hop profile is more pine than citrus. Very good. (9.0)

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A- Got four fingers out head out my Belgian style tulip glass, but it died to one. It's an off-white, egg shelled, colored head. It's somewhat rocky, and it's got bubbles in it. Body is a clear, darker, copper, color. You can see through the glass. Looks like nice, champagne, style bubbles rising. Not a whole lot, but looks nice. It's more effervescent than a lot of IPA's I've seen. Lacing is looking nice!

S- Right away it makes you think of a double IPA, even if it's considered an American Amber Ale. Lots of pine, leathery, and tobacco notes. It has resinous, hop notes. Topical fruits, like peaches, mangoes, and grapefruit. Little bit of a a caramel malty-ness as the backbone of the beer. Smells like a pretty well made IPA in the nose.

T- Tastes amazingly good! It's a big, juicy, quality to the beer. The piney, resinous, notes do come out. There is a bit of a earthy, grassy-ness to the hops as well. There is some hop oil flavor and dankness going on. The malts have a sweeter type quality. It's a light biscuity note in the background. For 93ish IBUs (as Troegs says), the bitterness doesn't stick around all that long. And that is nice! The finish is very clean and drying.

M- The body is medium. It does taste crisp, finishes clean, and is surprisingly very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall, this is a phenomenally made Double IPA kind of a beer. It's gonna get a 93-95/100 from me, which is a A+ grade!

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a beautiful honey color. Nice head. Good carbonation. Citrus smell is not overpowering. A hint of caramel to start but finishes with a lot of pine. Not too bitter. Overall, a very nice offering from a quality brewer. Although it is not my favorite style of beer, I enjoyed it. I'd like to try it on draft.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright, transparent reddish copper color with head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like pine and resin with some feint tropical notes.

Tastes of pine and resin, with some caramel and quite a bitter aftertaste with a bite that follows -- initially I thought it was a bit extreme, but it grew on me over time.

Light-medium bodied with moderate to heavy carbonation.

Overall, a very solid brew worth seeking out each spring.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First time coming to my state. I like the can! I think this is the first time for the can as well. Lucky me!

Appearance: Dark amber lots of soft white foamy head on top which remains.

Aroma: Some soft tropical notes, not as much hops as you would think, but then again this is an amber IPA rather than the traditional so there are more malts. There is definitely some caramel and sweet malt notes on the nose.

Taste: Very well balanced. Tropical fruits, mango, papaya and some earthy hop notes, Clean taste, not too sweet considering the malt character but there is enough hops to balance it out and make it a very balanced and enjoyable beer.

Overall: This beer is well worth searching out, although I don't know if it should be one of those seasonal releases that people go crazy over. Nevertheless, its very good and worthwhile should you trip over a pack of them! Especially if you can find the cans!

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sample pour

Clear russet copper with great lacings, thin white layer cap

Aroma of citrus hops

Hops on the back of the tongue, taste the hops but not overwhelmed by the bitterness

Gentle sudsing, well balanced, very smooth

Excellent beer

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer looks amazing but the taste is really an acquired taste very bitter and not what i am use too. it would be great if there was something to fight the bitterness and get both hints of bitterness and sweetness. Its also semi expensive i thought.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz poured into Duvel tulip.

Look- amber all the way, thin head, very good lacing.

Smell- quite possibly best smelling beer I have tried. Floral, marashchino cherries, cognac.....wow, just wow.

Taste- Balanced, very balanced....tastes of a nice ipa.....then the malts extinguish this flavor towards the finish. Not overly malty, but does detract from the bite that would probably be there otherwise.

Overall- while I applaud the balance, I'm not a huge fan of balance, I prefer the scales to be tipped well in the favor of citrusy hops. None the less, an excellent beer. I'd pick up a sixer every time they're released. If you are a fan of a balanced high ibu ipa, run don't walk......

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: nice dark amber
S: citrus fruits
T: citrus explosion with hop finish and grapefruit rinds
I so did not want to like thos but I must say its a good brew I had in bottle poured in wide mouth goblet

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is right up there, good goddamn.

From the can pours a beautiful color. Had a little left over that I sampled right from the can itself and was delicious right away.

Nice balance for such a highly hopped beer, super floral, just a great beer on all fronts. Not telling anyone anything they didnt know, get some whenever you can find it fresh!

3.19/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Don't get the hype with this one. Average at best. Troegs hasyet to impress me with any of their brews. If I want a hoppy amber I'll take Zoe any day of the week.

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16oz can, canned on 1/16/15 poured into a pint glass

Appearance: translucent deep amber/copper color. Big fluffy white 3 finger head dissapainting slowly.

Aroma: caramel, piny resin. Grapfruit, biscuity, orange peel

Taste: sweet caramel maltiness. With lots of sweet fruity hops with some pine

Feel: creamy, medium bodied,

Overall. Really nice and hoppy amber ale. Almost ipa like but the maltiness balances it out great. A beer where the hype is justified

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

clear bright copper color with a short head and a fair amount of lace. nice smell of ripe sweet fruit along with some pine. malty bready slightly sweet taste hops come on strong and medium mouthfeel hides the alcohol well. overall very nice i like troegs beer i think they are one of the better brewers we have.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

amber like color, smells of flowery like aroma with grapefruit and citrus notes, mild bitterness with grapefruit/citrus taste combined with hoppy goodness, mild carbonation and a smooth finish. Simply excellent!!

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%

Smells so good... IMHO the best aroma of any amber I've had. The taste was solid but did not live up to the look and smell. Almost too balanced, as I didn't really notice the malt character come through and while the bittering hop comes through strong, there wasn't much depth. It's a very clean very well done beer. I probably would give it higher marks if the outstanding aroma didn't set such a high expectation of flavor for me. It's a great beer. Definitely worth a try.
Edit* I take it back... upon second sampling this beer definitely lives up to the hype.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beautiful perfectly clear copper ale, topped with a very large and firm off-white (almost beige) head. Head retention is perfect, and it leaves tons of lacing around the glass as it slowly dies - and with each sip.

Sweet hop-forward aroma from the moment you start the pour. Pine is the dominant hop aroma, although there's a bit of citrus and floral mixed in. Caramel malts and sweet brown sugar provide a lovely backbone.

Brew tastes less sweet than it smells; it's fairly subdued and balanced. Caramel and brown sugar dance with big pine and smooth resin notes, with an acidic, citric bite.

Very lively brew, with a bit too much sting, but otherwise very drinkable. Excellent balance, medium-light bodied with a long, cloying hop oil finish.

This is not an IPA; it is an outstanding, hoppy amber ale. The malt balance is clearly as important as the hop profile, and both combine for a fantastic product.

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Upon drinking this ale, I got the distinct impression that I was _supposed_ to like it, but ultimately it just didn't do much for me. I certainly admired the fiery orange-red color and the floral aroma, but the taste just seemed rather ho-hum to me. I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it (hence the relatively good marks I gave it), but there was just something off in the overall balance. I would try it again, though. Maybe I was just in a bad mood at the time.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Brilliantly clear copper colored body topped with a sticky, creamy off-white head. Hoppy aroma leaning very much towards all things floral, but supported by dried fruit, grass, leafiness, peaches. and sugary grapefruit. Sweet hoppy flavor: still very floral with oily citrus, berries, grapefruit, tangerines, and mangoes over some light grain. Definitely a little too sticky sweet for me to want more than one. Medium bodied with a bit of texture. Also had a fresher can yesterday and the experience was about the same. Not as good as I remember it being.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company