Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
B967ierhunter177

2.03/5  rDev -53.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass and served at 47 degrees.

Appearance was typical beer yellow with half inch head that lasted fairly long. Aroma was mostly citrus, especially grapefruit with piney notes. Flavor was pure hop bitterness with a touch of the grapefruit. Way too bitter! Mouthfeel was light to medium but balanced over the palate. Drinkability is low, it's just way too bitter, a real hop bomb. NOT recommended!

08-16-2010 05:13:14 | More by B967ierhunter177
mklinger

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. It poured a light copper or a burnished bronze, much lighter than anything I'd call an amber or red ale as this is classified on BA. It looks like an IPA in color, not an amber. Slightly hazy. It had a thick, rich, firm wite head that left lots of lacing behind.

Aroma was very nice given that this couldn't be that super fresh of a beer. Lots of pine, some citrus and a robust malt presence, though not overly sweet smelling.

Taste was great. Lots of hop flavor but also a really rich malty character. Very bready and malty. I'm not sure what to call it. It's certainly not an amber -- it's paler than Troegs Hopback Amber & isn't all that caramelly. It's certainly got IPA hopping. But the malt is rich and complex like a bock. I guess I'd call it an IPA with a good load of Munich malt in the grainbill. Wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel was a bit full for a 7.5%abv beer. It feels like a 10-12%abv DIPA in mouthfeel but is closer to a straight IPA in abv. Overall, this was a highly drinkable beer. Each sip led to wanting the next and the next and the next..

08-15-2010 13:06:42 | More by mklinger
scottfrie

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip.

A: Pours a deep amber with a thick off-white head that reduced slowly into an oily film that left sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Rich caramel malts intermingled with perfumey floral hops and big citrus hop notes of pineapple and tangerine rind. Very sweet and hoppy smelling.
T: Not as much citrus and the nose with much more caramel malt and "amber ale" flavors coming through than IPA. Still fairly hoppy though, with a resinous hop oil flavor. Finish is full of roasted grain flavors and a light bitterness.
M: Medium body with light carbonation and a slighty sticky oily mouthfeel. Feels like a beer with a much lower ABV.
D: If this was ever available in my area I would buy it as one of my standards. What an easy to drink and flavorful beer. IPA or not, I could put a couple bottles of this away easily.

08-13-2010 01:04:51 | More by scottfrie
VelvetExtract

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A-Vibrant amber color, looks quite delicious. A modest head with orange undertones sits above the liquid. Mild yet attractive lacing is evident.

S-Chewy juicy grapefruit hop attack. Fruity and full. Small malt aroma sits in the background. This one is obviously all about the hops.

T-One of the juiciest hop flavors I have ever had from a beer. Big grapefruit connects with a potent dose of fresh grassiness. The whole hop spectrum comes out in this beer. Theres pine, citrus, floral notes too. Like the nose, the malt is secondary but still enough to add some balance. Substantial bitterness rounds it out.

M-Medium bodied nice and sticky with a drying aspect. Well carbonated.

D-Perfect sixpack beer. Love it and wish it was year round but you gotta love when the time of year comes and its Nectar time.

Thanks Troegs Braws

08-11-2010 22:34:49 | More by VelvetExtract
dubinsky

Yeah, i know you all think this beer past its prime after sitting in my fridge for such a long time, well you know what, YOU'RE WRONG. This beer simply kicks as much ass today as it did the day it was bottled, the only difference is that its now mellow.

A- Pours a clear, delicious golden-amber-orange color, with a one finger head that dissipates quickly, and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

S- Um, do i really need to tell you all how awesome this smells? Well, in case you don't already know, its amazing. Strong floral hops, honey blossoms, lavender and lemon. Underneath it all hides a wonderfully sweet malt aroma.

T- Um, do i really need to tell you all how awesome this tastes? Taste is delicious. A hop BOMB! The same flavors as the smell: floral hops, honey, and malt.

M- Great carbonation, and medium body.

D- I love this beer and cant wait to get another trade in with an East Coaster. Its incredibly drinkable, and dangerously session-able. One of my top 10 beers

08-10-2010 03:21:17 | More by dubinsky
hayesez

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

It's always nice when the shipments of Nugget Nectar reach the Haute. Although it's been a few months since the latest release, I thought I would toss up my review of this fine "Amber." Had my most recent one at a gathering a few nights ago. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a coppery amber color with a thin light colored head. Very clear, with moderate amounts of lace left behind.

A nice hoppy citrusy nose is my favorite part of the Nugget Nectar. Smaller notes of pine and even some sweet caramel are also present. I really enjoy the intensity of the citrus smell, with the subtleties of the rest.

Tastes similar to the smell with the noticeable sweet malts being pushed aside by the prominent hoppiness. The caramel smell is also found in the drink, although also quite subtle. I wish there was just a bit more. Citrus and a bit of pine - and a sharp bitterness that is just a little bit detracting. Additionally, the mouthfeel is a just a bit on the thin side.

I do like Nugget Nectar, but I feel like the flavors just don't quite work together as well as they could. Fairly drinkable, and still a beer that I look forward to every year.

Consumed: 8/6/2010

08-08-2010 04:04:36 | More by hayesez
fear025

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma:I get hops and sweet malt in the nose. The hop aromas are citrus and pine.

Appearance:This beer has an amber/red color, with a good sized head, and ok head retention.

Taste:The bitter hops make quite an impression up front. There is lots of pine flavor in this one. There is also an underlying caramel sweetness that counteracts the bitterness in the hops wonderfully.

Mouthfeel:This beer has a medium-full body, and is quite smooth with only a little hop astringency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability:I really enjoyed this beer, it's a great example of it's style.

08-03-2010 23:56:27 | More by fear025
DeutschesBier

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

This is definitely a beer I look forward to in the early spring.

Unlike many people on this site, I love a highly hopped beer with a nice malty backbone to fall back on. Sometimes, I dig the enamel peeling character of ultra-hopped DIPAs, but few of those are as drinkable as Nugget Nectar.

From the beautiful amber color, to the smell of the nugget, warrior, and tomahawk hops, this beer is one of my favorites.

08-03-2010 01:35:45 | More by DeutschesBier
malty

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a brilliantly clear glowing copper/amber with a dense & fluffy off-white 1" settled head. Some visible uprising carbonation erupting from the center of my stemmed Ayinger tulip style chalice. Gorgeous vertically thick rings of lace all the way down.

Sweet, syrupy malty goodness is totally surrounded by fresh, zesty, tropical fruity hops. From what I distinctly remember from Pliney the Elder's nose, this beer is very similar. This keen familiarity is the scent of tamarind. That's right, tamarind. It's found in many Thai dishes and I cannot escape it's sweet, spicy and earthy elements. The entire bouquet is very fresh (yes, I know this is over 4 months old by now) and had held up very nicely. Sweet, earthy and definitely hoppy.

Tastes EXACTLY like it smells. Even the tamarind. The maltiness is more mellow than sweet though, but still makes for a solid platform for the hops to showcase themselves. Since this ale is mostly about hops, they seem to play very well together. The tropical notes I smelled earlier have morphed into a more earthy flavor. Still very pronounced, but more mineral-like in flavor.

Mouthfeel is perfectly soft, medium bodied and just the right amount of fine carbonation. The semi-spicy/sweet finish is long lasting.

Drinkability is through the roof.

Overall this ale was very pleasing to me. It was a bit difficult to pinpoint the fine nuances of flavors, but I think I can attribute this to my unfamiliarity of the Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hop. Maybe I've had these hops in different beers, but for some reason they're not jumping out at me, (unless Pliney the Elder uses any of these?). A great beer worthy of it's broad and vocal fan base. Thanks mattcrill for bringing me a sixer from Ohio!

08-01-2010 17:33:47 | More by malty
Genghis22

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Pours a bright and clear amber with a nice creamy white head, which quickly disappeared. A good amount of carbonation is visible.

S - Hoppy bitterness. Not the floral, piney hops you would expect from an IPA. There is clearly a strong malt backbone, which is indicitive of the style. Very enticing. A touch of lacing.

T - Delicious carmel amber ale, gets hopped! This is great. Before I got super crazy out of control into IPAs, Amber Ales were always one of my "go to" styles. This beer takes me back, but gives me some beefy hops to satisfy my current fixation. The initial taste has the characteristic malty amber sweetness. The finish is quick and dry, and aftertaste is nice and bitter.

M - A nice full bodied beer. A little biscuity, a little chewy, but certainly not syrupy. Highly carbonated, but works very well for the beer. Leaves the tongue very dry.

D - Absolutely! This beer has everything, for just about everyone. Sweet caramel maltyness, great hoppy bitterness. Smooth drinking, and a virtually undetectable ABV. I just wish this was available in CA, it would easily be "regular" in my beer fridge.

07-28-2010 00:46:32 | More by Genghis22
newk340

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

shared a bomber with hu5om (who received it via trade) in New Belgium goblets.

A: a hazy gold amber, similar in color and consistency to apple cider.

S: hops, hops, hops. oh, and hints of aromatic cloves that smoothly tease the nose.

T: a cross between an IPA and an amber, very hop/citrus front heavy, with a smooth finish of caramel malts... though it is difficult to discern since each sip is different than the last with elusive flavors. i find my self taking big sips (unfortunately) to decode this beer.

MF/D: a sizzle of flavor that dissipates quickly for a smooth swallow. easily drinkable with a manageable 7.5% abv. no lingering heat.

07-23-2010 04:25:50 | More by newk340
hu5om

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

thanks to gon8888, again, for sharing this one with me!
split with newk340
a- straight up apple cider. amber brown and very cloudy, it doesn't sound like that should be. off white slight foam that leaves some decent lacing
s-bitter sweet orange, medium malts, light caramel, leaves or maple?
t-IPAmber? super balance. maple, orange citrus, bitter end and actually finishes pretty fresh. i like what they're doin. the ibus are pretty well hidden, really. kind of tastes like a hoppy marzen for some reason. curious.
m-well rounded. medium bodied. moderate carbonation. very gentle tingle.
d-perplexing but delicious. a strange combo of tastes and smells, but i dig it. a bigger, tasty, balanced beer. it's got a lot goin on.

07-22-2010 23:30:08 | More by hu5om
ChadQuest

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

the head has strong protiens holding it all together for a long time. body is a barely hazy resin amber color.

aroma of oranges and flower shops during rush hour next to a produce section of your local farmers market in seattle, im getting autumn. this sounds crazy but imagine it...yup, see i'm right.

Taste has all the hops you'd expect but balanced by a buttery toasted toffee malt, basically if you take a east-coast ipa and crank the malt up two more levels, its that kind of balance going on here. Still alot of Citrus, once again oranges with some astringint rind bitterness on the finish.

on the tongue its very creamy with a low to mid level of carbination, but i did a semi-vigorous pour, a very buttery texture for the style.

This is one if available local i would probally buy a 6er a year, pretty great but not earth shattering, but absolutly the best amber i've had, so maybe it is earth shattering?

07-22-2010 05:25:04 | More by ChadQuest
GarrettMD

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

This is the 6th beer in the Blind Beers BIF that I tasted. I reviewed this beer without knowing what I was drinking, these are my notes before finding out what it was.

A - pours a clear light amber with 1 finger white foamy head. good carbonation bubbles coming up, great head retention, good lacing.

S - Smells like piney and citrus hops, some malt aroma, maybe a little roasted character?

T - Taste is more piney hops, some slight citrus notes but not much. Malt is just about as pronounced as it is on the nose. Could this be another IPA? some light alcohol burn on the finish. The more I taste this beer, the more the malt sticks out, slightly roasted with caramel malts maybe an over-hopped amber.

M - medium bodied, good carbonation, oily mouthfeel from the hops, finish isn't too dry, slight alcohol burn, malts stay around as well.

D - Good drinkability, probably around 6-6.5% ABV, rounds out nicely leaving you wanting another sip. Maybe this is something from victory? Maybe Troegs Nugget Nectar? Actually, the more I think about it, this could very well be Nugget Nectar with the malt character. I have never had it, but I know what it is supposed to be like. I'm going to just make an outright guess at Nugget Nectar.

I had never tried Nugget Nectar, I just knew what its characteristics were. Overall, very enjoyable beer, will definitely be buying this one when I get back to the east coast.

07-21-2010 22:59:11 | More by GarrettMD
TMoney2591

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Finally typing up this damn review. God knows when it was scrawled on this paper here. (I know you can't see the paper, but just sit back and let the words paint a picture for ya.) It pours a hazy orange amber topped by a short-lived finger of white micro-foam. The nose is all up in your face (...as are most noses, now that I think about it...) with pine backed by what seems like some creamy caramel. Yes, I can smell creamy. Deal with it. The taste follows almost exactly, heavy on the pine, a decent backbone of smooth and creamy caramel. (Told ya.) A hint of flowers is in there as well, but not in much abundance. The body is light but weighty (...), with a mild carbonation and a kinda sticky finish. Overall, not bad, but I just don't see the reason for the hooplah.

07-21-2010 00:16:53 | More by TMoney2591
misinformed

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

Review from 7/7. I had two bottles of this and reviewed the first one, but held off typing it up until I had the 2nd bottle in case of any differences. Poured in to a pint glass both times.

A- Clear red-orange. Poured with a 1 finger pale off-white head. Small bubble carbonation present.

S- Citrus, hops up front. Some malt. General sweetness as well.

T- Citrusy hops up front. Light floral notes as well. Some malt and maybe a hint of grain followed again by the hops. This leaned towards the sweet side, but there was some bitterness as well. For me the citrus and sweetness culminated in a taste very similar to grapefruit with powdered sugar sprinkled on it. Leans heavily towards the hops, but was still quite sweet.

M- Light to medium. Slightly sticky. Smooth and light with some tiny bubble carbonation.

D- So so. I can definitely see why people enjoy this, but it didn't really strike a chord with me.

07-19-2010 06:43:21 | More by misinformed
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Just got a book that really has convinced me it's time to move on from my pint glasses and invest in the proper glassware. Unfortunately, this one was enjoyed from my standard Shaker pint. Still, I managed to get a half finger head on it. Body was clear amber. Fit the style well.

Aroma started with sharp citrusy hops. It also smelled sweet and syrupy. It was hard to pick out any malt. Still, I am a hophead, so this didn't bother me in the slightest.

Taste began with sharp bittering hops and hop resins. This faded and flowed into a clean caramel malt flavor, which was quite refreshing. There was a light bitter aftertaste, much less so than the initial taste led me to expect. To me, this seemed the best of both worlds.

Mouthfeel was pretty good. A little thick and syrupy, but not overly so.

Drinkability was awesome. As mentioned above, very refreshing. It didn't hit too hard, and when I was done I wished I had more. If not for the ABV, this would be a great session beer. I have to look for places that have it on tap.

07-11-2010 23:41:15 | More by connecticutpoet
NuggetNectar22

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

This is my absolute favorite, hence the user name. Troegs does a great job with this seasonal beer.

A- An amber copper color with a little less than a finger of white foamy head.

S- Citrus hops in the smell, some pine as well. It is a fresh hoppy smell.

T- A certain earthy and pine hop sensation hits first with citrus folllowing after. Somewhat of a malt backbone as the beer ends by hitting some citrus notes and blending into a dry aftertaste of hop resin.

M- Almost chewy mouthfeel with a slightly creamy feel to it while finishing dry.

D- Great beer and very drinkable, get ready to have a couple of these.

07-09-2010 17:07:55 | More by NuggetNectar22
Lolli1315

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A- An amber copper color with a little less than a finger of white foamy head. Ring of lacing formed around the glass as the color can be seen through fairly well but still a little hazy.

S- Citrus hops jump through in the smell immediately, some pine as well. Behind the dominating hop smell, there are some sweet citrus fruits available as well.

D- Great beer and very drinkable, get ready to have a couple of these.

07-04-2010 06:13:28 | More by Lolli1315
kylehayworth

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

I have heard about this beer for awhile, but we can't get it in Indiana. I had some people in KY and they brought back a sixer, and I can't say I was disappointed.

A: It has a deep golden orange, light copper color. Maybe even a tinge of red poking through at some points.

S: Lots of piney earthy notes in the smell. A little citrus note smell in the end.

T: Very sweet, yet balanced and smooth. It has a kick of hops but the malts on the tail end round it out nicely.

M/D: It has the slight bitter and resiny finish that I really love if not uber over done. With a medium carbonation. Delicious beer, balanced and simply tasty.

07-02-2010 02:43:47 | More by kylehayworth
jimbus

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Nice deep amber, burnt orange appearance and a decent cream white head with less than expected lacing. I am impressed with the strength and complexity of the smell! Tastes hoppy enough to call it an IPA in substitute for imperial amber...which I don't really see fitting. Well balanced with great citrus and bitterness well balanced. Definitely can feel a bit of hop resin on the tongue and the carbonation is just right. I could drink this beer all day! Highly recommended. Well done Troegs

06-30-2010 03:39:33 | More by jimbus
chefhatt

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

I poured it into a pint glass, it yield a nice thick creamy white head about 1 1/2" thick then lay down to a nice thin lace that was hugging the side of glass. That was on top of a nice amber color body. Has a very great, strong taste of hops, that hits you on the middle of your tongue. A nice after taste. i think it is a very drinkable beer if you like hoppy beer.

06-28-2010 02:33:15 | More by chefhatt
HotHands

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A: translucent amber with a good-sized white creamy head. Catacombs of lacing stick to the glass with every sip.

S - smells sweet, tropical, and a tad piney. Pineapple is the dominant smell here.

T - a good biscuity malt backbone with a very faint sweetness supports a lot of delicious hops. One of the best combinations of hops, bar none. The hops taste of citrus and pine with a nice dose of pineapple and tropical fruits, finishing with a nice crisp bitterness.

M - a nice creamy feel with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Hides its 7.5% ABV very well. It's deliciously drinkable.

This is easily one of my favorite beers because it's perfectly balanced and great for any occasion. It pairs so well with cheese, too. Nugget Nectar + aged cheddar = heaven.

06-27-2010 02:33:14 | More by HotHands
IdrinkGas

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Clear amber in color. About a finger and a half of fluffy white head.

S: Smells like a combination of piney and floral hops. It has a fantastic aroma.

T: Taste is similar to the smell. Piney and floral hops up front. Bitter hop and malt flavors in the end. IMO it tastes like a lot of west coast IPAs.

M: Medium carbonation and its just right.

D:One of my favorite local session beers!

I'm happy this beer is available everywhere in my area.

06-26-2010 18:55:41 | More by IdrinkGas
jmhart

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Recieved this as a bonus in a trade with Shreik806

A- Pours a clear, delicious golden-amber-orange color. Pretty rich head two finger head, the color of almond icing. Holds on for a good minute, and then fades to a nice webbing.

S- RI-DIC-U-LOUS. Such a good nose. Strong floral hops. Lavender and lemon blossoms. Underneath the hops is a nice understanded malty aroma.

T- Taste is delicious, but a little muted compared to the smell. Pretty much the same flavors as the smell: floral hops, rich malty backbone with ints of honey and oats. The taste is great, but it deviates a little from the style, hence my rating.

M- Solidly medium bodied. Moderate carbonation, not much bite, but a rich cream that rolls the flavor around the mouth.

D- This one is drinkable. Delicious, with a great appearance, aroma, and taste. If anything, it might be a tad sweet, but I doubt you'd notice that(or at least be tired of it) before bottle number 3.

I really liked this and hope to see it down here soon. At 7.5% it might be a bit much for a session beer, but the taste puts it there.

06-18-2010 21:59:02 | More by jmhart