Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle poured into snifter. FRESH beer. Dated 2011.

A: I love the look of this one! Clear, amber gold color. Definitely filtered, as there is no hazy in this one.

S: HOPS...and more hops. I love the nose. Very florally with some citrus. Actually though I was digging into a West Coast style when I popped the top.

T: Don't get me wrong, it's very hoppy and fresh. But there is a malt finish/backbone to this one. I was surprised actually.

M: This does have some body to it, but not overpowering in the mouthfeel. Definitely not sticky or anything.

D: Very drinkable! I love that this time around I got in 12oz 6-pack....whereas the 22oz bottle before. I could have downed many!

Overall, my favorite beer from Troeg's. I really enjoy HopBack a lot, and think this is a STEP UP from that. Nice beer!

inlimbo77, Jan 28, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

From bomber to pint glass on 1/27/11

A: This beer has been filtered, and therefore has great clarity. I wouldn't go out of my way to call it "red" in color, but it is a light shade of amber in my glass. Good head on an average pour, around 1.75 fingers. The lacing, though present, doesn't seem to stick, but rather run down the glass, which is not quite what I was expecting.

S: Pineapple upside down cake. Yummm - fresh hops! I literally pop the cap and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I don't even have to put my nose in the glass, the heavenly scent simply drifts through the air and easily finds my schnoz.

T: Quite spectacular. It's amazing how this beer is hopped like a heavy American IPA or DIPA, but yet has the really forceful malt backbone of a red. I think if this wasn't as fresh, the malt would certainly overwhelm and could easily make this beer fall apart. As it stands now, it's simply amazing. Close my eyes and I'd swear I'm drinking an IPA! As the fresh hop oil and malt dissipate, I get a very biscuity finish.

M: I sometimes wonder if it's the mouthfeel that seals the deal with a good beer, as it really is so very important. In the case of Nugget Nectar, it's perfect. Medium to heavy mouthfeel - certainly weightier then a standard IPA, with carbonation that's just right.

O: I'll admit I was ever so slightly skeptical about this one, as I wasn't a huge fan of the Troeg bother's Mad Elf. But I'm simply astounded by how much I throughly enjoy this beer. Nugget Nectar is a game changer - IPA hops and a red's malty spine. I would highly recommend drinking this fresh, as the hop profile is magnificent. For $4.99 a bomber, I plan on stocking up.

Insanely drinkable, and absolutely worth seeking out.

Rhettroactive, Jan 28, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

A= Nice Amber color, White head lots of lacing.

S= The main thing I notice about the nose is the PINE lots of PINE. I only get a little grapefruit really like the nose.

T= I get some pine in the taste some citrus mainly grapefruit. It's kind of bready really a good taste.

M= Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

D= Really drinkable really enjoyed this beer.

LiquidBread219, Jan 28, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up from the brewery, bottled on 1/18/11

A: Clear amber pour with a frothy white head that rests atop throughout the entire drink, a few lacing. 4

S: Smell is filled with hops. Lots and lots of hops! Nice malty backbone to balance it out. 4

T: Like the smell, the taste is full of hops and has a nice bitterness to it up front, a bit piney even. It's all held together by a maltiness that rears its head at the end, and stays with you. 4.5

MF: Light and crisp, keeps you coming back for more. 4.5

D: Really high. Extremely enjoyable beer. 4.5

---

Since the above review, I have had Nugget Nectar on firkin twice. The first at Z Bar at the Deli and the second at Zeno's Pub. I wanted to update my review to match that.

The firkin version is much more balanced. The drop in carbonation produces a much less hop forward beer, and a much more drinkable one as well. The balance is truly amazing and I could drink it all night. For me, the firkin version is what puts this beer in an elite category.

---

2012 Vintage, bottled (I believe) on 1/27/12, reviewed on 3/23/12

A: Deep red-orange pour with around a finger of wispy white head, filled with large bubbles. The retention here is really phenomenal and and leaves behind lacing on the glass to remind you of where its been. 4.5

S: Citrus, grapefruit and piney hops rest on top of your caramel malt backbone that is more typical of the Amber Ale style. Smells much more like an IPA than an Amber. 4.5

T: The taste this year is a bit stepped back from previous years. I posit it comes from the different water Troegs used to brew it. The hops just seem toned down from what I remember. The balance is there with the malts playing a small, but important role. The taste is much more fruity than I recall, with a lot of citrus and an average amount of bitter hops taking over. This seems to be more like a strong Amber than the Nugget Nectar I learned to love. 4

MF: Light to medium body with an average amount of carbonation. This has a nice dry finish and leaves a nice taste on the palate for a good while. The best quality of Nugget Nectar is its drinkability, which is perfect. 5

O: I look forward to this every year. It's priced well, delicious, and well regarded. I do, however, hop next year returns this beer to its former glory.

russwbeck, Jan 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip - no best by date visible.

Poured clear light red with orange hues,two finger head ,decent carbonation ,good lacing.

Smell - Pine notes with light citrus ,hops.

Taste - hops were upfont with some mild pine notes,decent malt backing.

Drinkability - This was a surprise for me - a hop bomb amber ale, almost an IPA in the hop profile with enough malt to balance it out -well balanced and blended beer - will definitly buy more when it comes around again .

InebriatedJoker, Jan 28, 2011

Received as an extra from BA thebroth - thanks. Drank from a big old St. Bernardus goblet. The beer poured a rich, clear rusty amber with a good two fingers of white frothy head. This is the cat pee-y-ist smelling beer I've ever jammed my nose into ... and I feel almost embarrassed to say just how delicious that smell seemed to me. Taste is very bitter up front, followed by a sweet maltiness, finishing back on a bitter note. The beer had a medium mouthfeel, with tingly carbonation and a nice creaminess to it. It was very good, but the bitterness beats up on your palate a little.

surlytheduff, Jan 28, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Orangish Brown in color, with a on finger head. And some lacing.

S: HOPS! Definitely getting the a lot of hop smell, which can be translated as a slight fruit smell..

T: Very enjoyable beer. Love the bitterness this beer puts out from front to back. And has a great balance between the hops and malt too.

M: Bites your tongue just a bit with a good bitterness. Leaves your mouth not feeling too dry.

D: Gotta have one gotta have 6

:) Good beer

Bogforce, Jan 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

a - very nice. Reddish rust colored clear brew with a white generous head and nice lacing.

s - everything you'd come to expect from a well-brewed big-hop ale. Big citra hops with a nice floral, grassy mixture that drifts around the room!

t - Troegs has always had great beers. I enjoy almost their entire offering. Delicious and no alchy dryness. Not under-carbonated - just right. Hops dominate of course but there enough depth to appreciate the beer for more than its specialty.

m - It is called Nugget Nectar and the label reinforces what they want to give you with this one. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and taste is a little sticky and will hang around a bit.

d - is good. I'd put this higher on my scale if it wasn't quite SO hoppy. But then what the hell did you buy it for dickweed? The label is a hand squeezing a softball-sized hop nugget. Cmon.

Working through a case of this, with many reviews and trys in between I have to say that this is a delicious brew with multiple hop flavors from citrus to piney and earthy. It's highly drinkable and really just an excellent beer. Good work again Troegs. I love January!

Hellabeerguzzler, Jan 27, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Bottle dated 1/5/11, consumed two weeks later.

A - Crystal clear soft auburn body with a steady stream of carbonation. Big & fluffy white head that leaves a respectable foam ring and wonderful lacing.

S - Citrus hops dominate the nose, with some floral backing. An overall sweet caramel or honey malt base provides some diversity. This smells absolutely incredible and lures you right into the glass for a tasting...

T - Noticeable citrus hops coat the palate with a strangely unique "sweet" bite, assuming from the malt. Caramel again plays off the citrusy hops, though the grassy & floral I got in the nose seems to be all but absent now. No complaints. I want to keep using honey to describe how well the sweet qualities get blended with the hops - very delicious and balanced.

M - Smooth, creamy and bubbly mouth feel, medium-bodied.

D - I literally could sit and drink these all day. An absolutely fantastic, easy drinking beer, even at 7.5% ABV.

This is what makes winter great: Nugget Nectar. I wish this were a year-round beer, because it's truly unique and puts the traditional "Amber Ale" mentality to shame. Even if you're not into Amber Ales, you've experienced nothing until you try this.

ShanePB, Jan 27, 2011

Poured into what else, a nugget nectar pint glass why not!

Out of the bottle Nugget Nectar is a faint orange with a clear brown tinged body. Simple three finger head upon the pour which appears gold out of the bottle, leaving a white foam head. The head has some staying power and has a very bubble bath texture. Hardly any carbonation from the bottom upon pour as well.

Hope front on the nose and grass but still small. Mostly a dominant strong hop smell, resiny.

Good tasting gives was to mellow orange and hops and an excellent body. Nice mix of citrus orange and hop balance. Good bread taste upon inhales off palate with a solid mouthfeel. No carbonation or prickly-ness, but also very nicely alcohol hidden.

A simple good beer out of the brewery and enjoyable.

smakawhat, Jan 27, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A- a transparent rusty auburn color with a nice foamy head which holds up pretty well.

S- pineapple and citrus on the front end, some faint pine notes as well.

T- very nice, hops evident, balanced as an amber ale should be. I'm still getting the pineapple, citrus, and pine presence, maybe a little toastiness as well.

M- carbonation level on this is right on, adds to and does not detract from the taste, light-medium bodied, ver nice.

D- I just happened to try this last year (not as fresh), and now I'm reminded why I made it a point to grab a 6. Quality brew, may have to grab another 6 before their gone.

Franz4, Jan 27, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Huge thanks to russwbeck for bringing this back from the Troegs brewery, fresh fresh fresh with a bottle date of 1/18/11.

22oz bomber poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A - Pours a vibrant reddish orange hue, crystal clear with countless streams of carbonation eager to replenish the head as it disappears. The head itself is a light khaki color, coming in strong at 2.5-fingers, but with moderately low retention. Lacing is sporadic and not very generous.

S - Smell is fresh, fresh hops, filled with wonderful pine and floral scents. There's some slight citrus here, but this beer is more focused on an airy, pine sap, flower type of aroma. That's what I prefer, so this nose is just heaven to me.

T - For how chock full of hops this beer is, it covers its bitterness pretty well. The beginning is a tad sweet before being overtaken by some slight grapefruit, wet pine, before ending with a pleasantly bitter finish. Simple yet eloquent.

M - Mouthfeel is light bodied moderate carbonation. Doesn't coat much or destroy the palate, but I could feel it linger and fight to stick to the enamel on my teeth. Pretty smooth as well.

D - Drinkability is high. So easy to drink and as soon as I put it down I'm looking to grab it again. Well worth the wait and a candidate for a case easily.

nhindian, Jan 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a deep amber with a nice white head and nice lacing. Great nose! Very floral, lots of piney citrus and malts. Tastes pretty bitter, lots of fruity hops. I'm picking up alot of pungent grapefruit. Definitely more bitter than sweet. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp, just like all of Troegs beers; very smooth and refreshing. Drinkability is good, alcohol is well masked. Very enjoyable!

I've always been a fan of Nugget Nectar. I think it's been more hyped in the past.. and right now it's where it should be. Yes, to me this is more an IPA, than an Imperial Amber. Either way, bottom line, this is a stellar brew! All hopheads should try this one fresh! I know it's cliche to say "you gotta drink this one fresh", but in this case, it's very true!

BB1313, Jan 26, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

pours very much a pure amber color with light tan/offwhite frothy head. The color is beautiful and the beer is very clearly filtered and inviting. I'm a sucker for amber colored beers with large heads though. Retention does leave a little to be desired.

hops in the nose, but not as powerful as you'd think. some sweetness in the background. the hops show immediately up front in the flavor, but the beer remains very smooth and mellow. sweet as well. I was expecting more bitterness, but am pleasantly surprised by the smoothness of it.

medium bodied. very high drinkability. while it's obviously a hoppy beer, this one remains infinitely more drinkable than the DIPAs/IPAs I've been drinking a lot and is a refreshing change from "extreme" beers. It's not traditional, but a nicely hopped amber is exactly the type of beer I can drink a bunch of.

Blanco, Jan 25, 2011
4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on cask hand pull at Al's of Hampden into a standard pint. This firkin is about ten days old.

A - Pours dark amber orange with a thick, creamy, one finger tall head leaving thick sheets of lacing down the entire length of the glass.

S - This thing is absolutely dank. Huge punch of strong citric hops up front with a lightly toasted caramel malt center. So much hops in this one it is really hard to put down. This takes the normal version to a whole new level.

T - Plenty of citric hops up front, that linger throughout, mix well with the caramel malt core of this beer. It gets a bit dry after multiple servings but still very nice. Finish is pretty bitter with plenty of it lingering for some time. One of my all time favorite beers. It does not get much better than this.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice creamy feel with plenty of hop bitterness in the finish. When fresh, this is the perfect serving style for this beer.

D - Insanely high. Other than straight from a firkin, this is my favorite serving style for this beer. If the normal version is a five this is a seven. I would love to drink this every day.

orangesol, Jan 24, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Deep amber pour, looks like orange flavored iced tea, with creamy white head. Head is about a finger deep, but it doesnt last too long.  Not a ton of carbonation rushing up, And after the head dies down a little, a very thin layer of capping rests on top of the brew.

Smell is really hop forward, and the aroma fills the room right after the cap leaves the bottle. A really nice mixture of grapefruit, floral and pine, and I can't wait to sip it from the nose. Absolutely delicious.

Taste follows the nose beautifully, and the is just perfect balance. The front is has alot of fruity presences, and the end is a really nice marriage of bitterness from hops and sweetness from malts. Wonderful.

Mild mouthfeel with a minimum of carbonation. Hids the ABV really well, no detection of booze, even as it warms up. This beer lives up to it's hype and with all of the different types of hops used, this beer needs to be drank fresh.

mjsheehan08, Jan 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours deep amber color/copper, like iced tea, with a dense two finger foamy white head. Good lacing that sticks nicely to the surrounding glass. Carbonation is light at best.
Very hoppy indeed with the hop bouquet being similar to floral and earthy over arich malt bill.
Fresh tasting with a complex, caramel malt bill. The hops are wonderfull tasting and do not over power the malt thus being well balanced. I can taste to a degree pine resin and some citrus qualities.
A smooth, medium to full body beer that rolls around your mouth and down your throat effortlessly. A tad bitter on the aftertaste.
Toward the end of this tasting as the beer warmed it watered down a bit around the edges.
Alcohol wise, it's pretty well hidden and seems to be in perfect balance also.
A good beer worthy of yet another.

micromaniac129, Jan 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Copper with a small but rambunctious head that leaves an erratic sheet of bubbles all down the sides of the glass.

S - Citrusy pine, a little cat piss, dank resin and a touch of malt.

T - The hops come off as quite earthy with pine and resin taking the front and only letting the citric qualities come through on the back end along with a touch of toffee-like malt.

M - Medium in body and fairly well carbonated, this brew leaps all over the tongue.

D - Very good for a highly hopped beer. Not as good as some of the DIPAs, but very unique and stands well on its own.

LiquidCucumber, Jan 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

A: A great burnt amber color. Starts with a nice one finger head that subsides quickly and has subtle but decent lacing.

S: I get hints of grapefruit for sure but the variety of hops like warrior and simcoe make the aroma very nice.

T: First off the multiple hops work brilliant together when it first hits your mouth and the malts like vienna and munich come in nice on the back end. Everything works really well together.

M: Ok carbonation but it is rather light of a mouthfeel.

D: For 93 ibus it is very drinkable and tasty.

Recommend this beer to all beer lovers.

Buddha22, Jan 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Poured a stellar dark orange, almost red - reminded me of a deep pumpkin ale color. One finger head leaving mild lacing as it receded.

S - After the pour it was set down two feet in front of me and I could immediately smell the hops. Smells of balanced hops, not overwhelming -- i'm an imperial IPA guy. My sniff was pleasant and fruity. I got a grapefruit/nectarine combo.

T - Again, the hops are not overdone but they are in great balance. Very small note of alcohol. There is a great bitterness and citrus taste.

M - There is a coating left on the tongue and cheeks but it's thin. Not a bad thing. More of the flavor can be squeezed out after I swallow.

D - This baby drinks easy and is real tasty. A punch of flavor. I feel sorry for myself that this is my first one yet look forward to prying off the cap of my next one.

johnbarrett, Jan 22, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Burnt orange to amber. Great clarity with a thick head that fades to a cap. Not much visible carbonation. Leaves some lacing at teh top of the glass.

S - Sugary orange and grapefruit hop aroma. The backing malt gives it the hops a sugary smell, but the malt doesn't stick out much while still making itself evident. There's a faint alcohol in the back.

T - Pine and the same sugary citrus fruit taste. Some bready flavor from the munich, and there's a lighter sweetness as well. Halfway through the hop oils kick in and just coat the mouth, lingering into a bitter finish. There's also a dank, weedy taste from start to finish. When it warms up enough, there's just a slight alcohol note as well. It's hard to explain how unique of a beer it is. It's just something that has to be experienced.

MF - Medium body that's really oily and slick. Soft carbonation just reinforces that.

D - Great. Nugget Nectar has a hit-me-back flavor that just keeps me fixated on the glass until it's gone. I drink few beers this fast, and the 7.5% ABV and 93(ish) IBUs are unexpected in beer that is so flavorful, yet mild at the same time.

HitokiriNate85, Jan 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Despite being a lifelong Pennsylvanian, this is the first time I've gotten my hands on Nugget Nectar and I'm pretty psyched.

The beer pours an orange/amber with a thick finger of off-white head that took its time to recede to some great lacing.

The nose is dominated by citrusy hops. There is a strong grapefruit/orange smell with a slight touch of pine. The taste is quite similar. The hops dominate the taste, but they are well balanced. A healthy dose of fresh citrus flavor helps to keep the hops from being overpowering. A great tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is thick and oil. The beer seems to cling to the sides of mouth. The drinkability is through the roof. This is a great tasting, easy to drink beer.

Troegs really hit a home run with Nugget Nectar. I can't believe I haven't had it before now. I'll be running out to get more for certain.

pburland23, Jan 22, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 12/21/2010, meaning this beer is exactly 1 month old. Not as fresh as I'd like it to be, but based on previous experience with this brew, it should be fresh enough for a stellar review. It will be poured into a standard curved-shaker pint glass.

It has always been my opinion that this is the best beer brewed by Pennsylvania's most talented and original brewery. I really wish they made this thing be a year-round, but it is what it is. As such, I just try to enjoy it as much as possible during it's seasonal release.

A: Pours a translucent golden-reddish hued bear with a nice frothy 1 finger head on top. The middle of my pour has taken on that big, forthy, bubbly look that I like so much and reminds me of pancake batter. Very nice. And it's leaving great lacing around my glass as I work my way to the bottom.

S: Big smell of grapefruit an tart citrus coming out of this beer. Very pleasing.

T: Wow. Smooth at first, with a very mild malt backbone shining through at first giving it a pleasant level of sweetness before getting out of the way and letting the hops shine through.

And the hops do dominate here. Strong flavors of grapefruit with some other citric subtleties (maybe a touch of mango?) dominate, with the near-perfect amount of hop bitterness at the end to balance it out. If I was to critique this beer at all, it could actually use just a TOUCH more hop bitterness to really round it out and make it a near-straight 5.0 experience.

M: Thick hop oils dominate throughout, and leave a good tongue-coating of hop oils on the finish.

D: High. This beer is unique enough and complex enough that it can be served solo and be considered a "tasty treat", but smooth enough and balanced enough that I could crush it all night long and be quite happy about the circumstances.

psuKinger, Jan 21, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed from notes 1/20/2011

A: citrus hops, grapefruit, sweet

Ap: amber-orange with a 1 finger white head, nice lacing

B/T: mild carbonation , crisp, clean, and very smooth

Af: strong presence of grapefruit and citrus hops, lingers just the right amount of time.

O: wish it were available all year!

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jan 21, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle poured into dfh signature glass

Pours a crystal clear burnt auburn color with some darker hues around the glass. A well toned head retains with some bubbly film and plenty of patchy lacing on the glass.

A lovely burst of grapefruit hops in the nose swirled with some slightly sweeter fruits and just enough bready malt base.

Waves of juicy hops kick off the profile with an explosion of fruit flavor and pleasant bitterness. Grapefruit intensifies the hop attack, which wraps itself around the palate. A doughy, bready malt base adds in some light sweetness with hints of caramel. Finishes with another punch of stark hop bitterness and some lingering dryness.

Medium bodied, milder carbonation, way smoother on the palate than you might think, and goes down incredibly easy. The alcohol is masked just enough, and seems to sit just right at 7.5%.

There's very few beers at this point that I can see myself drinking more than one or two of in a sitting, and Nugget Nectar is one of them. One of my favorites each year.

xnicknj, Jan 19, 2011