Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to msulinski for adding this one as an extra. The appearance is a one-fingered, off white head that rest upon a beautiful orange base. As I finished the brew, there were random patches of lace that splattered the glass. In the nose I smell grapefruit and sour fruit. The taste is excellent! There are bitter, citrus fruits. Lots of hop bite and a touch of alcohol. There feel is pure perfection. It coats the mouth and leaves a satin residue in the finish. For being such a bitter, hopped-out beer, it drinks much better than above average but not close to perfection. Overall, I have really enjoyed this beer and if it were available in my area it would frequent my fridge.

JosephLondon, Feb 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Joe for picking me up some fresh Nugg from out of state.

The beer pours a light copper color with complete clarity. A thin white head sits on top with good lacing and retention.

The aroma has an herbal, spicy hop character as well as some unique fruitiness of apricots and grapefruit. Some pine sap and caramel comes through as it warms.

The mouthfeel is big and creamy with little carbonation. There is an impressivley strong apricot hop flavor in the middle. The finish is bitter, with a piney hop flavor and sweet caramel flavors. The caramel malts seem to help the apricot flavor in the middle shine, and the sharp pine hop flavors are a great contrast.

Nugget nectar is very easy to drink, and is very "moreish" for its strength. I usually would think twice before grabbing the same 7.5% beer three times in a row, but nugget nectar just begged me to. See you next year, nugg.

jeffthecheff, Feb 14, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Big big thanks to largadeer for this kind gift.

Pours a brilliantly clear reddish orange that catches the light in a way that makes this beer glow. Three quarters inch of head has moderate retention and some very nice lacing. Great looking.

The scent of this beer hints at its balance in flavor; candied orange peels, carmelized sugars and sweetened grapefruit juice are the main components, representing the interplay of sweet crystal malts and citrusy hops. Very nice, but lacking a bit of "punch" needed to push this into "5.0" perfection.

Taste is more or less what I expected given the aroma. Caramelly crystal malts and a nice hit of citrusy hops are all over this one. A slightly bitter finish dries everything out nicely and really boosts the quaffability of this beer. Tastes like a more refined version of Oskar Blues Gordon to me.

Loads of tiny, effervescent bubbles make for a somewhat spicy mouthfeel. Oily body that coats your mouth and a lightly chewy finish. Just a hint of alcohol heat--right where it should be.

A very nice beer indeed, and worthy of its reputation. This goes down too easily, and I'll be sad to see the bottle end.

Thanks again Chris!

photomike, Feb 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass

I got this per recommendation from a coworker. Wasn't planning on picking it up, but saw it at a good price and figured I would give it a try.

Good thick head that relaxes fairly quickly. Lacey along the top of the glass. Golden-red in color. The Hop smell stands out. Strong but good. Very bold hop smell. I guess that's what it distinct. Someone mentioned grapefruit... I think that is a very good description. Goes down smooth with a good taste. lingering hoppy taste. Slight dryness afterward. I'm not usually a hop guy, but I am looking forward to drinking the rest of the bottle.

Very drinkable for ABV, i can see this catching up with you as night goes on.

kldobbins, Feb 14, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Got this last night as an add on to a sale. I did not plan on buying this beer, but damn, am I glad I did.

Pours a nice clear gold with a great hear that hangs around for a few minutes and leaves a good lacing.

Immediate hops aroma, you can clearly smell all 3.
Terrific mouthfeel, light, but still existent.
Tastes of hops, so much so, it almost feels like you have the hops in your mouth. Citrus, pine, with a slight spice aftertaste. Finishes well.

When I got this, the person behind the counter said it sells out quick, now I know why. This has become a favorite of mine, so I hope its not to hard to find later down the road.

blsdmf33, Feb 14, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a clarified copper tone with a nice sized head of tight bubbles displaying high retention. Bright hop aroma, clean pine scents, grapefruit, and slight amounts of malt. Tastes pine, spicy, grapefruit, plantlike, with a pleasing full bitterness. Finish is earthy, malty, and tempered with floral hops. Medium bodied with a pleasing full carbonation. This bottle was nice and fresh and appropriately changed my mind about the quality of this beer. Excellent IPA. Yeah I said IPA.

vacax, Feb 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a Shaker pint. Great gold/amber color with a not quiet white head that quickly goes into a thin film that laces OK. Aromas of grapefruit and pine. Citrus start with a grassy piney bitter finish. The bitterness is not overbearing. Hides the alcohol well.

bob3701, Feb 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

the appearance isn't red compared to the ambers and red ale i dranked.

This batch was bottled on 2/2/2010, very fresh the smell pure, sweet, and floral.

the taste was good, the malts balance the three hops great,

I drunk the beer at about 45degrees, maybe 50degrees, nice flavors

I could drink a six pack in a day or 12 hours

betterbgood, Feb 13, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked this one up locally - a rarity here as it flies off the shelves upon arrival.

Appearance - a beautiful golden transparent amber. Frothy head with lacing that lasts throughout....

Aroma - Floral hop punch balanced with a malty warm bread....hints of grapefruit citrus...

Taste - Delicious. Great balance. Slight bitter hops, lemons, slight grapefruit. Malty finish.

Mouthfeel - Velvety smooth. Excellent

Drinkability - Overall the best in it's category. The best I've had from Troeg's also. Definitely a keeper.

Celt44, Feb 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz glass into a pint. Appears a nice amber color with some ruby red hints to it. Has a nice thick white head, that dissipates slower than average and leaves great lacing.

This beer has a great nose to it, strong hops, with a pine scent dominating, as well as some good sweetness to the scents. The taste follows pretty well with the piney hops dominating. Lots of bitterness to start out, with some sweetness coming in midway to help balance out the tastes. Finishes fairly dry and bitter, but not completely overwhelming.

The mouthfeel is fairly smooth, with not too much carbonation. Leaves a good, thick, smooth coating throughout the mouth and on the tongue. Drinkability is great. With flavor like this, and not too high of an ABV, this beer is something that could be very sessionable, although I prefer to enjoy these one or two at a time.
Overall a great brew, just what I expected after reading reviews and posts about this beer, one great seasonal offering.

zimm421, Feb 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

I was really excited to pick up some of this on a trip to Mass. I think this was the first thing I put in my cart. I loved Troegs Hopback Amber, and I'd heard this was an amped up version of Hopback. Bottled 34 days ago.

Beautiful golden-red color, perfectly clean-looking despite a boatload of hops. Luscious head that sticks around for awhile.

Smells pretty good for the style. Citrusy, but not a ton of aroma.

Not overly malty like a lot of beers this strong where sweetness overpowers the bitterness. This is a pretty bitter brew- moreso than I expected from the color. Not sure why this isn't an IPA as it's more hop-dominated than, say, 90 min. IPA. Maybe it's the relatively low hopping in the aroma?

Smoother than I expected. Dangerously easy to drink, especially since it's not as intense as I'd expected. I guess that's the problem with hype.

Still, a great beer that I'll definitely be buying again.

TonyReaves, Feb 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer really snuck up on me one time! The first time I drank it, I brought a growler and was sitting on the porch enjoying a pint or two, along with a nice cigar, in the summer night. When I stood up, everything went spinning, like taking ether for an operation (I am old enough to have experienced this.) Whassamatter?! It couldn't be the beer--I only had a pint or two. Well, I did a panic-y checklist--stroke? fever? LSD flashback?--but nothing seemed to answer. Eventually I did check on the alcohol content, and considered how many I had drunk (more than a pint or two, imagine that) and how easy it was to drink, and came to realize, damn!, that ol' "nectar" sure crept up on me!

I love this beer. But it is TOO easy to drink...

Pours a copper amber, with a lingering lace and appealing small bubbles.

The nose actually portends a robust alcohol base, if you pause to notice it (which I did not do initially...)

As for taste, it is one of those beers whose balance and easy drinkability can fool you into paying less attention than it deserves. This is my kind of beer--it doesn't knock you out by overpowering you with a distinctive taste that can with further sips become overbearing. No, it sucks you right in with its balance and its absence of any flaws. Except for the nose and a bit of fullness in the body, you could easily mistake this for a session beer. At least until the wife/SO starts to look curiously at you and your glass.

Regarding "drinkability" I don't know whether to reward or penalize the beer. Initially, I'd be inclined to give it high ratings. But if you are planning to drive or get laid, I'd do just the opposite.

Sláinte!

irish, Feb 11, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle in to pint glass

A.Clear copper w/ nice fluffy head at least 2 fingers

S.Very hoppy and earthy,dare i say weedy

T.Extreme hops up front,also pine and citrus

M.Carbonation,syrup finish left

D.Very easy to drink.beware the ABV.one of my favorites

fourkiddad, Feb 10, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured in to my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium amber colour with very little head and some visible carbonation. Nothing out of the ordinary for an Amber.

S - The nose really opened up with a few swirls. Lots of citrus - some distinct grapefruit notes - with sweet honey. The hops are very present but not much in terms of floral notes.

T - An explosion of hops with an abundance of citrus; the grapefruit really comes through again. A somewhat earthy flavour is present with a sweet aftertaste (honey). A very nice mix of an amber and an IPA. And an even more impressive balance of bitter hops and some sweet malts.

M - A medium to fully body for an ale with a nice, sticky/chewy texture on the tongue.

D - The ABV is masked very well. The carbonation, which looked to be too present at first is perfect. This drinks better than any 7.5% ABV ale that I have ever had.

The only negative thing I have to say about this beer is that I wish I had bought more than just a 6 pack.

TheSevenDuffs, Feb 10, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Placed one Nugget in the freezer for 30 minutes, and drank another at around 55 degrees, because I couldn't wat.

Have had this beer quite a few times, but my first this year.

DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!

I know that I really love this beer, because it is great cold, and even better almost room temperature.

Creamy off-white head, pours crystal clear red/amber. Huge whiff of citrus, which is equally present in the taste.

I so wish that this was a year-round Troeg's offering. But the anticipation makes this one even better.

rawhydes1, Feb 10, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz. bottle into shaker pint on 2/9/10.

A - Poured a beautiful clear amber/orange body with half a finger's width of frothy off-white foam that settled into a patchy veil and deposited ample sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Mmmmm... that first smell is still amazing no matter how many of these I've had. Subsequent whiffs reveal pungent pine notes, citrus fruit and a sweet caramel malt base. This brew just reeks of fresh hops.

T - Nugget Nectar to me is all about balance. At 93-ish IBUs, it's quite bitter of course, but the malt backbone is huge, resulting in an insanely balanced flavor profile that artfully combines sweet caramel and lightly toasted grains with a bold hop profile suggesting sticky pine, citrus rind and leafy oils.

M - Medium bodied with a sticky mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Hops stick with you for a bit, but they don't wear out their welcome on the palate. Finishes bittersweet with a slight alcohol warmth on the palate.

D - This isn't my favorite beer because it's a chore to drink. Despite its higher ABV and heady hop profile, Nugget Nectar drinks like a champ. And it still remains one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. While not as amazing as its draught or cask counterparts, it's still amazingly fresh out of the bottle.

ffejherb, Feb 10, 2010

received as an extra in one of my recent trades i cant remember who sent this but thank you i have been wanting to try this for a while

well looks like a red ale should smells of hops as crisp grain tastes like a hoppy red although not as hoppy as i thought i was going to i was expecting some sort of massive explosion from what every one says makes me a little disappointed but excluding that this is one of the better red/ amber ales i have the drink and mouth feel are great i feel this beer would be great on a hot summer day

over all this is a great beer maybe a little over hyped personally i think the Odell Red surpasses this beer but still a great beer none the less defiantly worth a try

SpruceFish, Feb 10, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tryed this beer for the first time about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find this the best seasonal offering I have had so far this year.

12oz bottle poured into a Guiness pint glass.

Appearance- The head is about average. It leaves good lacing, but held up to the light one can see how pretty this beer really is. Nice ruby/amber red color that is pretty deep. Very clean and clear looking with some moderate carbonation.

smell- Mostly just piney hops, but there is definetly some sweet malt in there as well. Smells delicious.

taste- Hop bitterness is right up front, but not unbarable. The malt then kicks in to balance this beer out. It finishes dry and sweet with the faint lingering of hops on the palate. delicious.

mouthfeel- Medium bodied. Smooth and somewhat oily. Coats the mouth nicely.

drinkability- this is one beer with a 7.5 abv. that I could drink all night. Great stuff.

Shamgar, Feb 09, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer wasn't exactly what I expected, but I liked it quite a bit for what it was. I thought it was going to be a really BIG beer, teetering on the edges of what is possible with hoppiness...packing as much hop bitterness into a beer as is zymurgically possible on this earth. And it wasn't that, which surprised me, given as much hype as this beer gets. Instead, it was a very hoppy, yet still fairly light and eminently drinkable beer. It didn't, as the commercial description suggests, make me "pucker up," but it did have more than enough hops to satisfy my cravings for bitterness, while being sessionable enough to have several. This beer looks beautiful - it is a copper red, but has a brilliant body (unlike a lot of other highly hopped DIPAs which seem to become cloudy and opaque with their increased bitterness). Aroma is hoppy with lots of citrus undertones. Flavor is surprisingly balanced, with a good amount of maltiness under-cutting some of the hop bitterness and perhaps explaining why this beer didn't seem as BIG as I expected. Hop characteristic in the taste was more the sweetly-sweaty-sock variety - think a toned-down Moylan's Hopsickle. Mouthfeel was mildly sticky, but pretty good.

All in all, a nice beer. A bit pricey at $12.99/6-pack, but certainly worth the price of admission if you've yet to try it.

BeerBelcher, Feb 08, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle courtesy of a recent trade with TroyG2352.

A: The pour is a crystal clear dark amber color with a small off-white head which recedes fairly quickly to a thin layer.

S: The nose is what I was expecting. A big punch of citrus and pine hops with a noticeable but not overpowering caramel sweetness from the malt.

T: The flavor is very similar to the nose, but a bit more intense. The hops really steal the show here and give you a nice bitter pine and grapefruit combination both on the front end and on the finish. In between there is a bit of sweetness from the malt.

M: The body is medium with a nice moderate level of carbonation that tingles the tongue.

D: This is my kind of amber/red ale: nice and hoppy. I found the bitterness to be pleasant and refreshing. I'm glad to have a few more of these in the fridge.

womencantsail, Feb 08, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -6%

A- Clear golden/amber with a nice white head.

S- Citrus hops over some biscuity malt.

T- Citrus hops up front with some malt that is hardly noticeable, creates a nice grapefruity and pine taste. The flavors weaken towards the finish, but create a lingering bitterness.

M- Slick medium feel with a nice carbonation.

D- A very nice imperial red; didn't quite meet the huge hype about the beer, but a solid brew none-the-less.

TommyW, Feb 08, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Received this bottle as a trade extra from bamadog, and shared with friends. Thanks from all of us for hooking us up with this.

The beer poured a clear reddish orange, with a good-sized white head. Aroma is all fresh hops and not particularly aggressive or assertive. The taste is citrusy hops with a substantial malt backbone...which makes it sound like a fairly unremarkable IPA. However what sets this apart in my mind is how fresh, crisp and clean the flavors are. The hops taste like they have just been harvested and the beer is extremely crisp. There are no lingering out aftertastes, only something telling you to drink more. Nectar is a perfect description of this beer. I understand now the hype that surrounds it and can say that it fully lives up to the hype. I wish this were available in my region, I would drink it all the time if it were.

Shumista, Feb 08, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clean dark orange amber color with a small off-white head that sticks around for a good while and leaves some nice lacing.

Great aroma that really showcases the hop profile. Floral and citric all around with a nice burst of lemon and spice at the back.

Citrus flavors come out in full force at the first sip. Orange, lemon and grapefruit appear at the forefront followed closely by fresh pine. Some malt comes into play around the middle, revealing some caramel notes to give a little balance to the hoppy beginning. Finish is a bit spicy as the hops make one final appearance.

Medium body with perfect carbonation. I know this one gets hyped up every year but from where I stand, it is well deserved. This is one of my favorites as far as hoppy beers go and I only wish I had immediate access to it so I could stock up. Amazingly drinkable and with no indication of a 7.5% abv.

Vengeance526, Feb 08, 2010

Thanks to Ralflord for this. Pours golden orange in color with plenty of white head. Smells of citrus and hops. Taste is more of the same. Although this beer doesn't knock you over the head with hops (which is nice), it's not a malt bomb either. Fairly well balanced for a highly hopped brew. Not overly sweet. Body is medium with medium carbonation.

waltonc, Feb 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a dark golden color with about 1 finger of white fluffy head that dissipates quickly leaving lots of lacing.

S- Lots of hoppiness and earth on the nose.

M- substantial mouthfeel (but not over the top with lots of carbonation and hops "dancing" on the tongue.

T- Hints of candy and an over-the-top syrup flavor. Mixes well with hints of dirt and smokey malts.

D- Given that it is 7.5%, it goes down easily and could/have easily pt down a few of these without realizing it. It has a very long finish to it that stick around for a few minutes after you finish.

Tinfoilrcr, Feb 07, 2010