Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

IBU: ~93
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.34/5  rDev 0%

Deep amber pour, looks like orange flavored iced tea, with creamy white head. Head is about a finger deep, but it doesnt last too long.  Not a ton of carbonation rushing up, And after the head dies down a little, a very thin layer of capping rests on top of the brew.

Smell is really hop forward, and the aroma fills the room right after the cap leaves the bottle. A really nice mixture of grapefruit, floral and pine, and I can't wait to sip it from the nose. Absolutely delicious.

Taste follows the nose beautifully, and the is just perfect balance. The front is has alot of fruity presences, and the end is a really nice marriage of bitterness from hops and sweetness from malts. Wonderful.

Mild mouthfeel with a minimum of carbonation. Hids the ABV really well, no detection of booze, even as it warms up. This beer lives up to it's hype and with all of the different types of hops used, this beer needs to be drank fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours deep amber color/copper, like iced tea, with a dense two finger foamy white head. Good lacing that sticks nicely to the surrounding glass. Carbonation is light at best.
Very hoppy indeed with the hop bouquet being similar to floral and earthy over arich malt bill.
Fresh tasting with a complex, caramel malt bill. The hops are wonderfull tasting and do not over power the malt thus being well balanced. I can taste to a degree pine resin and some citrus qualities.
A smooth, medium to full body beer that rolls around your mouth and down your throat effortlessly. A tad bitter on the aftertaste.
Toward the end of this tasting as the beer warmed it watered down a bit around the edges.
Alcohol wise, it's pretty well hidden and seems to be in perfect balance also.
A good beer worthy of yet another.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Copper with a small but rambunctious head that leaves an erratic sheet of bubbles all down the sides of the glass.

S - Citrusy pine, a little cat piss, dank resin and a touch of malt.

T - The hops come off as quite earthy with pine and resin taking the front and only letting the citric qualities come through on the back end along with a touch of toffee-like malt.

M - Medium in body and fairly well carbonated, this brew leaps all over the tongue.

D - Very good for a highly hopped beer. Not as good as some of the DIPAs, but very unique and stands well on its own.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

A: A great burnt amber color. Starts with a nice one finger head that subsides quickly and has subtle but decent lacing.

S: I get hints of grapefruit for sure but the variety of hops like warrior and simcoe make the aroma very nice.

T: First off the multiple hops work brilliant together when it first hits your mouth and the malts like vienna and munich come in nice on the back end. Everything works really well together.

M: Ok carbonation but it is rather light of a mouthfeel.

D: For 93 ibus it is very drinkable and tasty.

Recommend this beer to all beer lovers.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Poured a stellar dark orange, almost red - reminded me of a deep pumpkin ale color. One finger head leaving mild lacing as it receded.

S - After the pour it was set down two feet in front of me and I could immediately smell the hops. Smells of balanced hops, not overwhelming -- i'm an imperial IPA guy. My sniff was pleasant and fruity. I got a grapefruit/nectarine combo.

T - Again, the hops are not overdone but they are in great balance. Very small note of alcohol. There is a great bitterness and citrus taste.

M - There is a coating left on the tongue and cheeks but it's thin. Not a bad thing. More of the flavor can be squeezed out after I swallow.

D - This baby drinks easy and is real tasty. A punch of flavor. I feel sorry for myself that this is my first one yet look forward to prying off the cap of my next one.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Burnt orange to amber. Great clarity with a thick head that fades to a cap. Not much visible carbonation. Leaves some lacing at teh top of the glass.

S - Sugary orange and grapefruit hop aroma. The backing malt gives it the hops a sugary smell, but the malt doesn't stick out much while still making itself evident. There's a faint alcohol in the back.

T - Pine and the same sugary citrus fruit taste. Some bready flavor from the munich, and there's a lighter sweetness as well. Halfway through the hop oils kick in and just coat the mouth, lingering into a bitter finish. There's also a dank, weedy taste from start to finish. When it warms up enough, there's just a slight alcohol note as well. It's hard to explain how unique of a beer it is. It's just something that has to be experienced.

MF - Medium body that's really oily and slick. Soft carbonation just reinforces that.

D - Great. Nugget Nectar has a hit-me-back flavor that just keeps me fixated on the glass until it's gone. I drink few beers this fast, and the 7.5% ABV and 93(ish) IBUs are unexpected in beer that is so flavorful, yet mild at the same time.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Despite being a lifelong Pennsylvanian, this is the first time I've gotten my hands on Nugget Nectar and I'm pretty psyched.

The beer pours an orange/amber with a thick finger of off-white head that took its time to recede to some great lacing.

The nose is dominated by citrusy hops. There is a strong grapefruit/orange smell with a slight touch of pine. The taste is quite similar. The hops dominate the taste, but they are well balanced. A healthy dose of fresh citrus flavor helps to keep the hops from being overpowering. A great tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is thick and oil. The beer seems to cling to the sides of mouth. The drinkability is through the roof. This is a great tasting, easy to drink beer.

Troegs really hit a home run with Nugget Nectar. I can't believe I haven't had it before now. I'll be running out to get more for certain.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 12/21/2010, meaning this beer is exactly 1 month old. Not as fresh as I'd like it to be, but based on previous experience with this brew, it should be fresh enough for a stellar review. It will be poured into a standard curved-shaker pint glass.

It has always been my opinion that this is the best beer brewed by Pennsylvania's most talented and original brewery. I really wish they made this thing be a year-round, but it is what it is. As such, I just try to enjoy it as much as possible during it's seasonal release.

A: Pours a translucent golden-reddish hued bear with a nice frothy 1 finger head on top. The middle of my pour has taken on that big, forthy, bubbly look that I like so much and reminds me of pancake batter. Very nice. And it's leaving great lacing around my glass as I work my way to the bottom.

S: Big smell of grapefruit an tart citrus coming out of this beer. Very pleasing.

T: Wow. Smooth at first, with a very mild malt backbone shining through at first giving it a pleasant level of sweetness before getting out of the way and letting the hops shine through.

And the hops do dominate here. Strong flavors of grapefruit with some other citric subtleties (maybe a touch of mango?) dominate, with the near-perfect amount of hop bitterness at the end to balance it out. If I was to critique this beer at all, it could actually use just a TOUCH more hop bitterness to really round it out and make it a near-straight 5.0 experience.

M: Thick hop oils dominate throughout, and leave a good tongue-coating of hop oils on the finish.

D: High. This beer is unique enough and complex enough that it can be served solo and be considered a "tasty treat", but smooth enough and balanced enough that I could crush it all night long and be quite happy about the circumstances.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Reviewed from notes 1/20/2011

A: citrus hops, grapefruit, sweet

Ap: amber-orange with a 1 finger white head, nice lacing

B/T: mild carbonation , crisp, clean, and very smooth

Af: strong presence of grapefruit and citrus hops, lingers just the right amount of time.

O: wish it were available all year!

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle poured into dfh signature glass

Pours a crystal clear burnt auburn color with some darker hues around the glass. A well toned head retains with some bubbly film and plenty of patchy lacing on the glass.

A lovely burst of grapefruit hops in the nose swirled with some slightly sweeter fruits and just enough bready malt base.

Waves of juicy hops kick off the profile with an explosion of fruit flavor and pleasant bitterness. Grapefruit intensifies the hop attack, which wraps itself around the palate. A doughy, bready malt base adds in some light sweetness with hints of caramel. Finishes with another punch of stark hop bitterness and some lingering dryness.

Medium bodied, milder carbonation, way smoother on the palate than you might think, and goes down incredibly easy. The alcohol is masked just enough, and seems to sit just right at 7.5%.

There's very few beers at this point that I can see myself drinking more than one or two of in a sitting, and Nugget Nectar is one of them. One of my favorites each year.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a nice golden copper color. Medium head that leaves nice lacing.

Wow! Smell the hops! Very strong hoppy smell...a little pine scent to go with the citrus.

The taste isn't as bitter as you would think it would be after smelling it.

Mouthfeel is bubbly but nice, would really complement a spicy meal.

Very good beer for fellow hopheads to try. Close to a DFH 90 minute but not quite as smooth in my opinion. Still very drinkable, though.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from notes.

Picked up a case from Troegs on 1/11/11 at 10:20am

Bottle date 1/10/11
nothing like 1 day old beer!

Appearance: Beautiful crystal clear amber color with a 2 finger white head.

Smell: blast of citrus! especially oranges and pinapples. Slight caramel coming through at the end.

Taste: nice bitter bite from the hops and also alot of tropical fruits with a malty backbone. The best well balanced brew I had in awhile.

Mouthfeel: very creamy and smooth

Drinkability: off the charts

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance:

Popped the cap off this super fresh bottle which is dated only two weeks ago. I was greeted with a generous amount of carbonation gasses and hissing from the 12oz bottle. Poured into my DFH bubbled pint glass straight on and was left with a one finger thick bone white head that stayed around for a while. When I hold my glass up to the light there is a deep amber almost orange hue to this crystal clear ale. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom of my glass which reminds me of champagne. On the swirl the viscosity is medium and not to heavy leaving whit streaks on the walls.

Smell:

Bright copious amounts of pine and citrus loaded hops. Oranges, lemons, pine sap, slight alcohol, caramel and toffee notes. Something that resembles grapefruits skins and pulp are floating around my nose. Very good!

Taste:

Ohhh man sooo fresh...Pliny ain't got shit on this beer when its right from the brewery fresh. Slick and waxy coating of fresh hops stick to my teeth and I'm enjoying licking them clean! Tropical fruits, minty, some earthy spice and slight alcohol in the middle round out all the fresh clean flavors. The finish is long and dry and makes me come back for more.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

I've been enjoying this beer for a couple of years now, but haven't reviewed it until now. Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber red with a finger of fluffy white head.

Smell: Nice bitey hop aroma, floral and sweet grapefruit notes. Smells very clean.

Taste: Bitey bitter hops, bitter grapefruit mixed with some malty sweetness towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Neck and neck with Flying Mouflan as my favorite beer from Troegs. I look forward to the beginning of each year so that I can enjoy this great brew and I shed a lot of tears when it isn't around.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured bottle dated 1/3/11 into a standard shaker.

About a week ago I deleted all 75 of my reviews. I didn't like them, it was time for a change. I held out for my all time favorite beer to do my first review.

Pours orange-amber, perfectly clear with a one-finger head. A quality looking beer for sure, although nothing spectacular. Smell is not as overwhelming as I remember, but the memories it brings are pleasant. My least favorite thing about ultra-fresh NN is the pronounced Simcoe in the aroma (some will call it cat piss or urinal cakes). I can get past the Simcoe as I've gotten quite used to it over the years.

Taste is right there where I remember. Tons and tons of fresh, bitter, citrusy hops. The malt is there, but completely overpowered. Nice dry finish with a slight lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin, but not cloying. Strong drinkability.

Looking forward to drinking this on cask sometime in the following weeks. Not the best beer in the world, but still my all-time favorite. I am one of the few that believes the quality of this beer increases over the first month before going down hill. May make adjustments when I drink this same bottling date 2-3 weeks from now.

Very affordable for the quality of the product.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer several times in different places - on tap and by bottle. Pours a hazed orange with a nice cream colored head. Aroma was resinous pine and citrus hops with a good amount of caramel malt to back it up. Flavor was malty yet very bitter and hoppy at the same time. Such a good balance of sweet malts and hops made me want to keep comming back for more. Among one of my favorite amber red ales.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

I haven't reviewed a beer in a long time, and while it deserves much more than my pathetic attempt at a review, it was a gift and I'd like to record my impressions.

First and foremost, thanks to cmurren25 for the awesome beers.

This beer was poured from the bottle into my duvel tulip. It's clarity is brilliant and the color is a garnet-hued amber. The head wasn't huge, and mostly disappeared, leaving a small white ring that clings to the sides leaving a trace of lacing as the glass empties.

As I jam my beak into the tulip and inhale deeply, i get grapefruit and pine followed by a bit of alcohol - but this may simply be an aftertaste from my last sip.

In drinking the beer, pine and grapefruit grace the tongue. As the sip passes the back of the tongue, the rye and amber malt shows itself. But then as the sip leaves the mouth on its way to the tummy, the delicious hop bitterness assaults the senses and leaves the mouth dry. The hop presence stays on the palate even after the glass is empty.

The mouthfeel is substantial yet finishes dry and nicely bitter.

I drank the entire beer while writing this review. And while this beer is dangerously drinkable, I'm a light-weight and could probably only drink two in a sitting. Which is fine. This beer is made for enjoying.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Burnt orange, much like grapefruit juice, 1 inch head that disappered quickly. Some lacing.

Smell - Hops, rye, lots of citrus fruits. Some carmal and plenty of malts

Taste - A great combination of hops, rye and amber ale as you can get. Its a bold sweet hop kick with amber rye flavor and bold strong malts. Hops are very present but the malts sweeten them up. Not bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - A real treat for you mouth. Bitter hops tickle tounge, sweet malts and carmael cover palette and balance this all together. Aftertaste is mild and bitter from hops, leaving you wanting more!

Drinkability - This is awesome. Only reason i didnt give this a 5 is cause it is 7.5 %, just strong enough to not suck down like water. This is probily the best beer troegs makes. Troegs really needs to make this year round beer. This beer is better straight out of the fridge of tap, dont let it warm up cause it tends to get a very sour flavor though.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

I have had a lot of this today...Bought 2 cases and drinking a growler with a friend on this fine evening.

Pours amber with an inch of head. Leaves uneven lacing down the glass, but still beautiful.

Smells like hops with a strong caramel backbone. Hops smell piny, citrus, and harbal. Beautiful caramel mixed in.

Tastes like some serious hop. Kegged 2 days before and really can't get much fresher on the hop profile. Strong malt backbone to hold the hops up.

Mouthfeel is a little thick with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is exceptional. I love this beer and could drink it all day. No alcohol burn, which makes it a little dangerous.

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Chris. Poured into LA tumbler, a burnt orange color with some golden hues and a small off white head with ok retention and some lacing. Smell is malty caramel, some bitter pine hops, but very sweet and sugary. Taste is very sweet and malty with an ok hoppy bitter finish, lots of caramel malts and a slight rye flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium/light carbonation. A decent amber ale, but I dont see what all the fuss is about. Not as hoppy as I expected it to be and the sweetness was a little over the top for the style.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

I have drank lots of this beer but have never reviewed it yet new release today so why not have a super fresh nn and review it.

I poured this beer into an 8 oz tasting glass. A wonderful amber light reddish color with a slight hop haze in the center. Two fingers worth of fluffy white head quickly dropped to a solid ring of foam. I smell an intense pine aroma along with lime and citrus notes. The smell of nugget hops plumed out of this beer upon opening. Taste is important with this brew, and I feel that I fail to describe the complexity of it. I detect at the front of the mouth intense bitter/ sweet hopness that opens into a pine grapefruit peel like flavor that moves and changes into an awesome hoppy afterflavor and burps! Mouthfeel is not thin or thick and leaves a nice coat of hop flavor on my lips enticing me to drink more. I will prob buy two cases or more of this seasonal!

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

A- Copper color with a fine white head that leaves a thin creamy wall of lace.

S- Musty, earthy tones, sweet caramel, floral notes of hops, citrus hints and pine.

T- Musty floral hops in the front, notes of caramel and biscuit in the middle, followed by earthy tones, grapefruit, pine, and orange zest.

M- Balanced well, bitter finish, bright and medium bodied

D- Very easy to drink. Well balanced in flavors, nothing offensive. High alcohol unnoticable. Dangerously delicious

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Now that I'm locked into heading towards the Splinter Black release, I thought it might be time for a review from notes of this bad beer. Michael Jackson bad. Michael Jackson the musician.

It pours reddish amber with a bubbly head that settles and dissipates but maintains lacing and legs. Smells like citrus, rich malts and despite Nugget Nectar being a red ale, the hops are still present. At the start you taste the sweetness, caramel, toffee, like your typical red ale. But it's more complex than usual, and the hops also bite. By the end, the alcohol hits in at 7.5% but you don't notice because you're still enjoying the malty hop blend. It's just plain well-crafted.

Medium-bodied, deceptively drinkable, Nugget Nectar is a top100 for a very good reason.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

a broad malted amber that seems double that of anything i've had. this is a completely clear pour with a sticky head of an off white... almost the color of melted butter. nose is brown sugar and pineapple hoppiness. palate is that with a nice mild quality of nougat. not particularly malt rich but substantial. palate is a bit floral that blends into something quite similar to clove honey. not at all as bitter as expected. a bit of assam tea bitterness with a sweet apple cider quality. autumn feel to it.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Picked some up at Rozi's on a roadtrip back from Cleveland.

Overall this beer is fantastic great hop profile and beautiful malts shine though the beautiful clear amber color.

Yes, I would be satisfied having this as my go-to beer, great balance and hops make it just an overall well-rounded beer suitable for all occasions.

Definately going to seek this one out often.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company