Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
alleykatking

Indiana

Got in a trade with kmurray8621...thanks again for everything Kevin.

A- Pours a deep and hazy copper amber color. Good 2 finger darker mocha/tan color head. Nice lacing on the sides that sticks around for the entire beer.

S- Nice piney hops upfront with the aroma. Grassy smell mixes along with a sweeter caramel malt backbone. I detect citrus hops in here as well. I think this beer might be a little cold because I have trouble detecting a lot without having to stick my nose almost in my beer.

T- Sweeter taste right from the get go. Citrus and piney hops come through at first followed by a caramel sweet malt middle. The ending is a crisp bitter hoppy taste. Nice tasting beer that is balanced for the most part. I wish there was a little more hop presence in the middle of the beer.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is good and helps the beer move around smoothly on the palate. Nice oily resin of citrus hops left on the tounge balancing a sweeter malt taste as well.

D- This is a very drinkable beer that I would suggest to anyone who wants to try the style out. I would love to get my hands on this more often and can't wait to finish the last couple bottles of it in my fridge.

07-23-2009 06:18:42 | More by alleykatking
thirtysixbelow

4.22/5  rDev -3%

a - hazy golden brown / orange color with a dark tan airy head

s - citrus and piney hops

t - sweet and spicy up front with a big hop punch as expected. Hops are very piney. Great lasting aftertaste.

m - great balance of carbonation and smoothness

d - I'm starting to like some of these highly hopped beers. I really enjoyed this one and can taste a lot of flavors under the hop punch.

07-13-2009 01:22:24 | More by thirtysixbelow
rye726

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a rusted copper color with a silky tan head. Nice lacing. Nose has grassy hops, candy malts and citrus. Taste has herbal hops up front and through the finish. Well balanced by rich caramel malts. Medium body has a crisp carbonation. Great example of the style.

07-09-2009 05:49:03 | More by rye726
oldpinecone

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

First off this is one of the most delicious beers ive ever had. The hype is true. It took quite some time to find it, due to it always being on backorder and sold out almost immedietley. Truely worth the wait.

: Served out of a bottle into a pint glass it had a beautiful coppertone color. It smelling of citrus and pine...not typical of the style IMO. It tasted similar to the smell with a sort of pineapple after-taste. Delicious. The mouthfeel was decent, a bit watery from what im used to but it was fine. Very, very drinkable but the alcohol content will get you quick.

07-06-2009 18:41:59 | More by oldpinecone
Soonami

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

I bought a case as soon as it was released earlier this spring. I think there is probably still some leftovers around in the area. This review is from notes of the first bottle I had of the year served at the perfect 50F temperature.

This beer is easily one of my favorites. Though I will admit that fresh is much better than the older, but still great specimens. The beer is the perfect rust amber that I like in a hoppy/amber beer. The sustain and cling of the head is fantastic and leaves nothing to be wanted. The aroma was perfect mix of bready cereal and fruity, piney hops. And all of this was before tasting the beer, which was full of juicy grapefruit, earthy-biscuity malt, and bitter hops. This is a beer that will impress anyone that is even remotely interested in having a good beer. This is the one beer that I would choose if I could only have one for the rest of my life. All of the flavors from the ingredients mix impeccably, it looks great and smells like everything I like in beer.

Most highly recommended.

07-03-2009 07:08:39 | More by Soonami
kmoore149

One of the best beers for hop heads. I love everything about this beer; aroma, taste, drinkability, and even got a nice kick at 7.5%, and since these go down very smooth with a bit of sweetness to them, it is easy to knock off a few. Being a seasonal makes it even better as you need to wait for it, usually showing up in early February, and is gone by late March. Well done Troegs!

Overall a fantasic beer. Possibly the best in America.

06-29-2009 20:27:51 | More by kmoore149
jmc44

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Picked up at the NoLibs Foodery. I finally get to see what all the hubbub is about.

Poured orange-amber with a thick lacy tan head. Head stuck around for a while and left great lacing on the glass til the end.

Hoppy aroma, a bit of citrus and spice, but not overwhelming as expected.

Taste is surprisingly balanced, a bit hoppy up front with a nice malt backbone making it quite drinkable.

Medium carbonation, medium body.

Very drinkable, despite its ABV. Very easy to knock back several of these in short time.

Overall an excellent beer. Highly recommended.

06-23-2009 18:50:19 | More by jmc44
Buggies

4.22/5  rDev -3%

A: golden orage with a nice finger length head.

S: Smells wonderful! Floral hops with a hint of citrus. A little pine and some sort of fruitiness there too. A small bit of sweet malt comes through as it warms a little.

T: Tastes wonderful. Awesome hops taste which dominates. But some citrus and pine there as well. The malt balances out the bitterness nicely too. It has a bitter finish, but it isn't too overpowering.

Hell this amber is better than most IPAs out there. I WILL buy this every year!

06-23-2009 00:08:12 | More by Buggies
mtnbikerpa

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

I purchased this case during Feb. the only time it is released. I stored some in my dark basement. Super sweet hoppy aroma reveals the 90+ IBU's. Taste has fresh peach and citrus flavors in the nose. Smooth mouthfeel makes this rare find easy to drink. A seasonal to look forward too every year.

06-22-2009 20:38:20 | More by mtnbikerpa
tgdigital

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Fantastic Beer. They call it an Imperial Amber, but it could be an IPA by any other measure. Beautiful amber color in the glass with a fluffy white head, great lacing and head retention all the way to the bottom of the glass. The nose is filled with citrusy hop aroma and the taste follows accordingly. Though this beer is filled with hop aroma and taste it's not overly bitter at all, in fact it's rather sweet. Yet another deceptive beer at 7.5% abv. Very easy to drink a six pack and get yourself in trouble.

06-17-2009 14:44:49 | More by tgdigital
Bobbydigi

Kansas

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle poured into an Ommegang glass.

Pours a nice amber color with just under 2 fingers of head. Great lacing clings to the side of the glass. Floral hops are upfront on the nose, some piny and fruity hops along with the bready malt. Very floral hops on the tongue, so good, after taste brings in the piny hops and the malt, much like the nose only far more intense. Very nicely carbonated and very smooth. I could drink these all night, it drinks like a 5% beer. Very well done beer, i wish i could get it here.

06-16-2009 03:48:42 | More by Bobbydigi
beerfairy

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

All I can say is this is one of the best beers I've ever had. I bought it on a roadtrip and wish I could get it where I live.

A - Orangish amber with a fluffy white head and fantastic lacing on the glass I poured it in to.

S - You can smell the hops and the fruity citrus.

T - Very floral with just the right touch of hops. Peachy grapefruity flavors that aren't overpowering.

M - Medium carbination with just a hint of bitterness sliding down the back.

D - Exceptionally drinkable, not overly hopped. I'd have a keg of this on tap if I could get it.

Serving type: 22oz. bottle

06-13-2009 22:30:12 | More by beerfairy
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Light amber in color with a well established, highly retentive, bubbly light tan head. A few strands and sheets of lace are left behind when the froth finally dissipates. Citrus hops hit the nose first, followed by some sweet malts and spice and oddly enough, a very subtle butterscotch. Smells like and IPA obviously. Tastes of more citrusy and oily hops which are wrapped with lemon, some banana and other fruits, and some malts. Goes down silky, despite the overall bitter nature it has. Nothing really mind-blowing going on here, but this beers smoothness and the cooperative nature of all the elements make it what it is, which is just a damn good brew.

06-12-2009 20:54:40 | More by stephens101
thecarster1

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

a- bomber poured into a pint, amberish coloring, one finger long-lasting head, decent carbonation.

s- great floral hops, underlying pine, unique sweetness, citrus.

t- present not overwhelming hop bitterness, delicious but hard to peg fruity sweetness, citrus notes, balanced malt underneath, very intriguing, no trace of the 7.50%.

m- well rounded and full, goes down super easy.

d- extremely drinkable, it lived to to the hype, will buy again, could session a couple bombers, glad this is a local brew for me.

06-05-2009 19:05:27 | More by thecarster1
BeerMark

Alabama

Thanks to RblWthACoz for this great trade. Tröegs Nugget Nectar pours a yellow/amber color with a somewhat rocky head. The smell is of malts and hops mixed with citrus overtones. The taste is very good with tongue pleasing mixture of hops, malts, and citric flavors. While this beer is obviously well crafted, I must say that I find this one to be a little overrated.

06-04-2009 01:41:05 | More by BeerMark
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Received this as a birthday gift from Bill (ScobbyDank).

Poured into my La Chouffee tulip.

Pours a 1/2 finger slightly off-white yellowish head. Color isn't very amber. It is more of a clear golden color with the slightest touch of amber. Good head retention and some great lacing.

Aroma: Very hoppy. Pine hops. Very earthy. A little honey pokes out. Pineapple and citrus. Bready malts.

Taste: At first this reminded me a lot like Surly 16 Grit, which is amazing, but I like this one more. Earthy hops and very bready. Honey. A little bit of citrus. A very great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel:A little bitter. But I can tell it has aged a bit. Medium bodied. Carbonation is good for this type of beer. Leaves a very dry aftertaste.

Overall, this is one amazing beer. I am really glad I got to try this one. A big thanks goes out to Bill! Very drinkable at 7.5% abv and I am really wanting more. This bottle just doesn't have enough beer in it!

06-01-2009 17:17:21 | More by mothman
LTS

Being touted as an Imperial Amber I expected a darker color, it's golden, pale ale color. Huge head form the pour (I went straight down the glass). Head is snowy white and laces the glass on the way down.

Smell is exceptional, all kinds of citrus in the nose. There is no hint of being overwhelmed with hops, just an anticipation of what's to come.

Mouthfeel is great, there's a body there that lets you know the malts are used properly to offset the hops. Citrus and pine flavors are there. Very little bitter aftertaste which is surprising given the hops.

The beer is not overcarbonated, it's smooth and stays true to the end of the glass.

Overall this beer is wonderful to consume. At 7.5% I'm good for a double bomber before I'd have to back off, but what a wonderful experience it is.

05-31-2009 01:41:14 | More by LTS
cbros

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Got this as an 'extra' in a trade with fatboyjim1.

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a Surly Pint glass.

A- Pours an amber yellowish color. There is a one finger white lace with a little carbonation activity after the pour. Little to no cling after the pour.

S- Strong hop presence with a citrus mixture of orange and grapefruit.

T- Nice hop flavor that is followed by a citrus note. A little bitter throughout but nothing overwhelming. The strong alcohol flavor has been masked very well be the hoppy citrus notes.

It was nice to finally get a chance to taste this famous brew. I consider this as more of an IPA than amber ale. This was a good beer and wish that it was available down here in NC. I would have this again but I wouldn't consider having it on a consistent basis.

05-31-2009 00:07:22 | More by cbros
dublife1

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Had on Tap at JP{ McGrady's in Bethlehem. Served in pint glass with a nice 2 finger head. Looks and smell are near perfect. Hoppy and honey with slight maltiness in the backround. Taste is outstanding and is by far my favorite offering from Troegs. Mostly citrus notes followed by minimal pine undertones. Mouthfeel is perfect and I could definitely make this a session beer. Way to go Troegs!!! AWESOME!!!

05-30-2009 20:27:47 | More by dublife1
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Clear Mango - nice head retention throughout me enjoying this beverage

Smell: Honey - cyan pepper, peach, melon, grapefruit

Taste: Grapefruit, hops up front - nice honey finish - hint of wheat/barley on finish

Mouthfeel: Nice Medium Bodied

Drinkability: Most Balanced Imperial Amber I've had - very drinkable and enjoyable. I highly recommend if you can get your hands on it.

05-29-2009 16:17:49 | More by LauraAlberts
mynie

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Released a few months ago, and while I've heard that this, like Hopslam, is much better fresh, I'm wiling to judge it as an aged brewed.

But, man, it don't look aged (and in my head I'm pronouncing the term fancy like, age-ed). Bit on the light side for an APA--but, hey, this is an imperial amber! My mistake. It's awfully pale for an amber, too, but it's not at all unappealing, just the right amount of haze, large head.

Sure as hell don't smell like it's aged too much. Heavy, hearty, green hops and doughy yeast. Not picking up any of the earthiness or sweet cereal nodes I usually associate with an amber or red, but the yeast done a great job of balancing out the hops.

Tastes like a large, varied, and well composed blend of high alpha hops (surprise surprise). Some nodes are more traditional--grapefruit, generic citrus, pine, but there's something to this blend. Warrior hops produce the exact same aftertaste as Alpha King, Simcoe gives it the same explosive start as 60 min... but still, there's something else, something fantastic that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's that the malt is so subdued, that the beer lets the yeast do the balancing so the hops can frolic freely. I dunno. It's damned amazing, though.

05-28-2009 06:44:55 | More by mynie
popery

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Excellent hopped-up amber. I generally like an aggressively hopped amber, and this is a good version of that subdivision of the nebulous style. I wish that I had a Green Flash Hop Head Red on hand to taste against this beer because it's a similarly hop forward amber and, well, it's a good beer. I suspect that Nugget Nectar would come out on top. It's really an excellent beer.

The beer is a clear amber liquid with a frothy head. If it wasn't labeled as an "Imperial Amber," I'd probably just guess it was a DIPA, as I have seen DIPAs darker than this. The aroma is a lovely blend of hops. I suspect that Simcoe found its way into the mix. Every hoppy beer brewer should consider Simcoe in their recipes. Anyway, the aroma is floral/citric hops, like honeysuckle and grapefruit rind. The flavor is similar but adds in a nice sweet malt that keeps the beer away from over-bitterness. The feel is clean with a good bitter bite in the aftertaste. For my money, this is an exceptionally drinkable beer. It tastes great, there's complexity in the hops to make you want more and it doesn't overwhelm in any capacity. One of the best hoppy East coast beers that I've tried so far (Double Simcoe being the other that comes to mind). Also, it paired excellently with a DiGiornio Mushroom and Spinach pizza, so yeah, my beer was significantly better than my dinner.

05-28-2009 04:05:00 | More by popery
StarlightSeraph

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden-orange (more orange than gold), with lots and lots of bubbles and two fingers of slowly dissipating frothy white head. Incredibly thick lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: This baby's intense. As soon as I poured, notes of pine and honey began to fill the room. Very bready and grassy smelling as well - a good balance of hops and malt.

Taste: A grassy bitterness, backed by bready/honey malt sweetness. The initial bitter bite fades quickly, but there's a lingering bitter aftertaste. Considering how strong the smell is, however, the flavors are somewhat mild. I have to remind myself that this is an amber, and it's not supposed to be an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, which might be why I think the flavors are a little muted. Might be a tad undercarbonated as well, but again, as this is classified as an amber, they are supposed to be smooth and easy drinking, and not thick and chewy.

Drinkability: A very easy drinking beer. A nice attempt at a compromise between an IPA and an amber ale. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the hybrid style though - it's close enough to a DIPA that I want the real thing. That being said, I did enjoy the beer, and I would have it again - but I probably wouldn't go to great lengths to seek it out.

05-27-2009 01:32:09 | More by StarlightSeraph
alphanon

Washington

3.95/5  rDev -9.2%

The appearance of this when poured was really on the low end of amber really quite pale. The nose was nothing but hops, some floral maybe a little nutty note. The flavor, although quite good was more like an IPA then an Amber, I expected more of a malt backbone to balance out this beer, instead I got an IPA. The moutfeel and drinkability of this beer are great and I would gladly drink this beer again, but not if it was an Amber that I wanted.

05-25-2009 22:05:28 | More by alphanon
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a dark copper-amber color. Head is creamy, and lacing is nothing short of superb. I've never had a pint pour maintain such a nice coat of lacing through the entire sipping experience, especially an amber ale.
Sweet malts and floral hops dominate the nose.
Sweet malt, tart yeast and a residual but present hoppiness blend together very well for a tasty experience. This is much more bold than I'm accustomed with an amber ale.
The feel of the brew is its only downside. It was somewhat watery, in which the carbonation more resembled that of a nitro-tap. Still, said carbonation is likely what likely produced such a wonderful creamy head/lace.
Very drinkable, very well-balanced. The type of beer which grows on you more & more as you drink it.

05-25-2009 18:55:46 | More by Natural510