Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
Sean9689

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours orangish/gold in color with a white fluffy head into my nonic. Citrus/hoppy on the nose with some malts in there as well. Tastes like it smells, citrus/hops. Good carbonation and light on mouthfeel, perfect for this style of beer. I would 100% revisit this beer if given the chance over and over again. Hopefully, I'll obtain some more.

04-16-2009 22:59:28 | More by Sean9689
Stockfan42

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Amber gold body, very citrusy at first. Foam isnt a big eye pleaser in this brew.

Floral hoppy aroma with a sweet malty kick. Pretty darn good smelling beer.

Very hoppy taste with a malty any citrusy body. Grapefruit and pine also on my palate. Great tasting and almost sets the bar for a great american red amber ale.

Great carbonation going on and very sweet, bitter and malty. Great beer over all. If you get a chance to have one of these bad lary's be prepared to wan't more.

04-16-2009 18:06:11 | More by Stockfan42
MS22

4.6/5  rDev +6%

Serving: Tap (Also have bombers)

A: Beautiful amber/orange-gold. Thin lacing, very little head, perhaps 1/4".

S: Hops! Big citrus notes, lemony, pine as well but not as pronounced. A bit of bread on the backbone.

T: Wow! Great variation of what Troegs calls an American Red Ale. More like a nice nitche between an Ipa and a Dipa. Taste was remeniscent of the smell, hoppy without much spice, very little malt presence.

M: Carbonation was nothing special, as I find it quite trivial 90% of the time to even mention it. So long as it is not either missing or overly there I am happy.

D: Well, being that I had 6 or 7 from the tap over the course of 2 hours I'd give it a 5.

Seek this out and try it.

04-16-2009 15:33:20 | More by MS22
sfsean28

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Here's my two cents.
I bought a 22oz bottle and poured into a tall weisse beer glass. It had a nice, clear, orange-copper color appearance.

A nice aroma of hops and when I first tasted the beer, I felt an explosion of hops on my tongue. The aftertaste was like tasting grapefruit and it does not linger.

I loved it and went back to buy another. Its a seasonal beer so I would grab as many as possible.

Year after year its always an outstanding beer. first review was april 2009

04-16-2009 15:22:46 | More by sfsean28
ROBORB

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle thanks to drgonzo3705, thanks Paul! Pours a murky amber color with a small lasting 1 finger head. I could pick up citrus, pine and a lot of malt. This was a classic amber ale on steroids. I enjoyed the hop profile up front but I felt that the malts overpowered the beer. I would love to try this one fresh as it has a lot of potential. Despite the aforementioned problem for me I had no problem finishing my glass. I will re-rate when I get a fresh bottle next year.

04-15-2009 01:36:41 | More by ROBORB
yeastsipper

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Received in a trade with WkndatBernardus. Great choice. I lived in Philly for 2 years and never tried this beer. Unbelievable.

Nugget Nectar is a bright reddish orange copper color, almost glowing. Nose is very fruit forward and a lot of malt is evident. Definitely some hops there, but smell is more sweet than bitter. Taste is bitter, with the hops becoming more evident. There is a slight English Breakfast tea flavor that I always find in Red Ales. I tend to find it annoying/overpowering, but I liked the subtlety in this beer. Good balance of citrus and hops.

This is good stuff though I (and I reserve the right to try again) am not sure it ranks up there with the elite. I may have done this beer a disservice, drinking it with friends after a couple of DIPAs, so I may be at fault for not absolutely loving this beer. It wouldn't be the first time....

04-14-2009 05:13:15 | More by yeastsipper
Deuane

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A-Bright, light copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Fresh, bright citrusy and floral hops with a balancing touch of malt sweetness.

T-Citrus and floral hop goodness comes through strong with the initial taste and continues on strong till the end. A nice underlying malt sweetness balances things out without taking ANYTHING away from the hops.

M-Medium-light body with a sharp, crisp and smooth feel. Good lingering hop bitterness.

D-A yearly favorite when it gets released. A fresh bottle of Nugget Nectar is NEVER a bad thing. I can drink this till the cows come home!

04-14-2009 01:45:24 | More by Deuane
donteatpoop

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Holy shit. Everyone needs to stop whatever they are doing and go out and drink this. I don't care how important you think whatever it is that you're doing is; it isn't as important as drinking this.

Pours a orange amber color with thin cap of white head, leaves a lacing on around the glass.

Smells like piney hops and citrus.

It was refreshing, very crisp and clean taste. Went down smooth.

I've never tasted anything so delicous. My wife was the one who bought it, I told her if she didn't like it I'd drink it for her. She let me have a sip. I quickly drank down my porter and ordered a Nectar. So damn good.

The bartender lady described it to another patron as "hoppy and bitter." Bite me bar-tender-lady; you made it taste like you fished it out of the toilet tank. This brilliant effort from Troegs makes me wonder why I haven't tried anything from them before.

04-12-2009 22:55:10 | More by donteatpoop
infestaxion

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to lionking for getting this one to me.

A - Pours golden orange with a nice foamy white head that leaves a lacing around the glass.

S - Piny floral hops are first and foremost. A smidge of malt balance.

T - It's not a slap in the face with the hops but it's there. A little grassy and citrus. Very crisp and clean finish. Very mild malt. Overall really good.

M - Medium body with plenty of carbonation.

D - If I could go in to any store and get this, it would be an all summer long beer. The 7.5 doesn't present a problem at all.

This is a fantastic beer. I really wish I could get it without trading. And if you can get it with no problem I don't mind sending you something that I can get with no problem. Great beer. I'd put it up there with the Huma Lupa. That's pretty much all there is to say.

04-12-2009 04:48:07 | More by infestaxion
jmfc8237

Delaware

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Poured a medium amber color with moderate carbonation that produced a slightly off white head. Good retention with web like lacing.

S- A strong combination of blooming hops and citrus. Bold hop aromas that transcended the fruity nose of orange,lemon peel.

T- Bold bitter hop taste with fruity notes of orange. Seemed to be a light alcohol ascending into a much bolder flavor. Good aftertaste that was piney and smooth.

M/D- Medium bodied floral hoppiness that gave a wonderful velvet mouthfeel.

04-12-2009 01:50:22 | More by jmfc8237
goatxpower

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Nice malty amber with a huge hop aroma and flavor. poured with a nice white head. Flavors of citrus and pine, with some biscuits or something. I can see the Hop Stoopid comparison that people have made in the past, although I don't think that they taste totally alike. This was a good beer that I would gladly drink again, but I don't think that I would have more then one or two in a sitting.

04-10-2009 23:36:16 | More by goatxpower
hsway

2.35/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass in two installments.

a: Poured a brownish red with a small amount of quickly disappearing head. Minimal lacing.

t: Not my favorite style. Very piney, almost sappy, with a slight mustiness.

d: I wasn't really enjoying it by the end of the glass.

04-10-2009 00:23:18 | More by hsway
BoitSansSoif

France

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to guntherhophead (pronounced "ho-feed" apparently).

A-Pours a clear reddish honey-amber w/nice off-white head and decent lacing.

S-Nice malty aroma w/grapefruit rind, tangerine, sweet floral and grassy hops.

T-Light-flavored and slightly sweet fruit and malt upfront w/bolder malt character midway and hoppy finish w/floral aftertaste and hints of grapefruit rind.

M-Nice smooth light-to-moderate body w/moderate carbonation.

D-Drinks smoothly, especially considering its abv. Could easily be mistaken for a session brew.

04-09-2009 04:59:52 | More by BoitSansSoif
natasharai

Appearance: Poured with a nice light tan foamy and bubbly head that dissipated over a couple minutes leaving lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is very clear orange gold color.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt, citrus hops, sweet flowers

Taste: Sweet caramel, sweet citrus orange and grapefruit hops, flowery flavor, small hop bitterness, and roasted malt. Pretty nice balance of sweet and bitter, a bit on the sweet side though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly syrupy, with nice carbonation, ending with a small bitter bite on the tongue.

Overall: Pretty easy to drink, a bit sweet, gets slightly boring since it is just sweet and hoppy... not much subtleties. Alcohol not noticeable.

04-09-2009 04:45:20 | More by natasharai
drcarver

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I've bought two cases of this stuff and I am not a fan of hops. It is aggressive without being overwhelming. A great beer.

A - Bright amber color with plenty of well formed head. Beer was well carbonated. Good, but nothing spectacular.

S - Hop, hop and more hop. I don't know if this is within the rules of reviewing a beer, but it smells like really good pot.

T - The hop is strong, but not overwhelming like some overly assetive IPA. Again, I don't know if this is legal, but it takes like really good pot. Aftertaste is long and bitter, but doesn't leave a metallic feel on your mouth.

M - Medium bodied, but doesn't weigh heavy on the tongue. The carbonation helps and makes it go down easy.

D - Despite is strong flavors and smells it is very drinkable. I actually have ration these due the higher ABV.

Buy it, drink it.

04-09-2009 01:47:16 | More by drcarver
OldYoda

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a very nice amber red into my trusty Troeg's US pint glass.( The fact I have a trusty Troeg's pint glass shows I am a huge fanboy). Modest head and lacing.

Smell is pine and hops and that's all I get.

Taste confuses me some - the hops are certainly there and in abundance, but this is well balanced with a strong malt backbone. This is no unbalanced hop bomb - this is really very smooth.

Mouthfeel is mildly heavy and just a bit thin for my taste - I won't call it watery but it approaches that for me. If this beer has a flaw, it's mouthfeel and finish for me.

Drinkability is crazy for a beer with this ABV. You could get yourself in some serious difficulty before you know it with this baby.

All things said, this is a very, very good beer and certainly lives up to it's hype. I don't rate it quite as high as most, but chalk that up to me being overly nitty. A great brew.

04-08-2009 01:49:56 | More by OldYoda
michaelgrant1983

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Amazing taste. One of the best seasonal's I have ever had. Wish they had it as a year round brew. I got the beer just to give it a shot as something new that my store started carrying. I was pleasantly surprised by this bohemoth. A must drink for anyone who likes hops. The fact that they serve it in bombers as well is a bonus.

04-07-2009 01:58:12 | More by michaelgrant1983
HopHeadRyan

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Had been wanting to try this one for a while...almost missed the boat this year, as this is seasonal...but I can't figure out why. Still a few places around Philly that have it. This brew would be great any time. Had on-tap and in bottles.

By far one of my favorit PA Craft Beers.

A - orangish/red; quick head; light lacing

S - Intoxicating floral hoppiness w/ citrus fruit (pineapple), pine trees, and carmel maltiness

T - Great! - hoppy w/ light citrus sweet fruit balance; you can taste the complex hop combination; very juicy hop profile; bitter but not "93ish IBUs" bitter

M - Medium bodied; crisp finish; lower carbonation

D - Its scary how drinkable it is; again this is a brew that can be enjoyed at any time; and with most food.

I think we should petition Troegs to make this a YEAR ROUND brew!

+++
2012 Notes: The Nectar this year seems a little less fragrant, a little less flavorful, a little less bitter, and a bit more caramelly sweet and syrupy than years past. Its still delicious, don't get me wrong, but its seems different and not quite as amazing. Perhaps my palate and/or taste has just changed. Not sure I will seek this out with such intent in the future (in bottles). If I see it on tap...I'm sure I'll still get excited though. Cheers!
+++
2013 Notes: Bottled on 12/28 opened on Jan 17 - Fresh hop fragrance - very floral and perfumey this year - a little herbal and piney - and a hint of melon; but not as pungent as I've had it in the past. A definite grainey note, very biscuity/bready; with a slight hint of alcohol. The taste is bursting with juicy hop flavor, resiny and candy-like, makes my mouth water for more. Definite grainy-malt flavors all well blended and nicely balanced. The ibus are well hidden. Beautiful smooth carbonation, and nice head retention and sticky lacing. This brew is a thing of beauty. As long as I live in PA i will continue to track down a case each season!
+++
2014: Beautiful crystal copper-ruby color, Piney and pungent nose with some sweet bready malt a little alcohol some mild herbal minty-ness , juicy and flavorful hops; Super balanced - the malts and hops dance together in an excellent blend of imperial harmony - I look forward to this every year! One of my favorite brews of all time!
Get some! Cheers!

04-06-2009 19:29:36 | More by HopHeadRyan
hustlesworth

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

A- shiny clear bright orange-amber with golden yellow highlights. very dense hoppy looking foam is pitted and pock marked and has the yellowish hue of vanilla ice cream. lace is nice and rugged looking, like something from the badlands and eventually forms thick drippy rings. foam settles to a thick creamy disk and stays put.

S- absolutely bursting with hops and all sorts of tropical fruits. orange, nectarine, clementine, meyer lemon, huge grapefruit, pineapple, mango, passion fruit, pine, and the herbal side of rosemary with underlying sandalwood and tobacco, toffee, and toasted grains.

T- a big malt sweetness starts things off, but hop flavor and bitterness moves in almost immediately. there's more hop 'flavor' than actual sharp bitterness, allowing characteristics of each variety to come through, from sour orange, to lemony, to grapefruit, to pine, to road tar. delicious asphalt. fresh, lightly sweet toasted cereal grains bounce around in the background providing a nice harmonic structure. woodsy, toasty. finishes astringent and not overly bitter, but still with great hop flavor.

MF- moderately full, but not quite what i would call 'imperial'. it's plenty hoppy and malty, but seems more like just a big red ale or a toasty ipa. tight medium carbonation breaks through the brew's viscosity so it doesn't sit too heavy. resinous and a little oily, with a slight graininess, you definitely get the feeling of hops in this one.

D- full flavored and intense, the fact that it isn't quite a double/imperial ups the drinkability for me, considering a relatively low 7.5%abv and a body that isn't too sluggish. this bomber is gone, fool.

04-06-2009 16:13:03 | More by hustlesworth
projectflam86

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Pours beautiful orange/red color with nice creamy head that leaves good lacing.

S- Strong hoppy nose with floral and piney citrus scents.

T- Initial strong piney hop flavor succumbing to bittersweet fruit tastes (grapefruit, lemon).

M- Sharp and crisp. Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

D- Great brew with nice complexity and flavor. I could drink it all day.

04-04-2009 23:04:47 | More by projectflam86
CounterVulture

2.95/5  rDev -32%

I tried this beer yesterday because i had requested it in a beer trade. big ups to kadonny and adamharbaugh. Overall not too impressed... tasted like a bad version of bell's amber. this makes me think that i might be spoiled with Midwestern beer. i really can't understand the A overall grade. this is an average beer. nice color and smell, but the initial taste and after taste leave a lot to be desired. the aftertaste is almost like rotting orange peels or something, i couldn't put my finger on it..

04-04-2009 22:32:23 | More by CounterVulture
keithricker

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

I'll skip some of the usual observations and cut right to the chase on this one ...

This is a really interesting brew, in that it defies a lot of the usual categories. Is it an amber? Is it an IPA? Is it an imperial IPA? An Imperial Amber Double IPA? This one really straddles the line in terms of style, but I would just call it a strong, "amberish" IPA.

It's an interesting dichotomy. Usually, this kind of creamy "amberish" flavor undertone comes in a much thicker, cloudier (almost syrupy) package that allows the flavor to linger in the mouth much longer. But this one is crystal clear, with a decidedly lighter, "draftier" feel that hits you briefly with the flavor, then fades away quickly while refreshing the palate.

Dare I say that this stuff could almost be chugged down on a hot day. Again, not at all what you'd expect from the flavor.

In summary: Amberish IPA with great hops aroma and flavor ... crystal clear, light-bodied and refreshing like a good draft beer. Compares favorable to Surly Furious, to give an example. Different flavor profile, but still very similar in many ways (to Furious), and if someone told me this were a Surly brew, I'd totally believe it. To those out East who don't have access to Furious, this would be a somewhat close approximation (you'd get the basic idea).

On a final note, I would be interested in trying a variation of this stuff, with a thicker and heavier base. The flavor is really it's strong suit, and it would be neat if it would hang on in the mouth so you could taste it for much longer.

04-04-2009 19:46:44 | More by keithricker
Durge

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

This bottled beauty pours a classic clear copper with a very solid off-white head and good lacing. The aroma is definitely crisp grapefruit, slightly sweet and a bit flowery, just what a hop head likes to smell! The flavor is a beautifully balanced grapefruit with mild caramel toffee. There's a definite bready and yeasty background that settles in nicely as you get through the glassfull, but the flowery grapefruit is the star here and it is wonderfully presented. I could drink this pretty liberally, nicely but reasonably carbonated with a midland feel suited to the style. Kudos to Troegs once again!

04-04-2009 18:00:43 | More by Durge
guntherhophead

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I never had this beer and picked up a six-pack in a local beverage center. I was not sorry.
A: Opaque brown orange with a nice frothy head and good lacing on the glass.
S: Citrus and hops. Light peppery spice as well.
T: Again hops and citrus, mainly grapefruit. Very smooth.
MF: Feels great going down. Nice carbonation with a bit of the hops and grapefruit that lightly lingers on the tongue.
D: I highly encourage you to get this beer. Great to review even better as a session beer. The last three will be gone soon!

04-04-2009 03:15:04 | More by guntherhophead
paco1029384756

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to ericwo for the bottle.

Pours a nice orange color with a short white head.

Scent of hops, citrus, and that's about it. Nothing overly complex here, just a wonderful floral hoppy scent.

Taste of hops, citrus, grain, and some caramel. Damn good stuff, simple and hoppy, not mind blowing, but I love it.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with pretty strong carbonation.

04-04-2009 00:49:57 | More by paco1029384756