Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date found. Huge thanks to mb2696 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear red yet brown amber color that produced a bubbly-like off-white/almost orange color head that took a few minutes to dissipate. Left lots of sticky lacing behind in the process.

(S)- Plenty of dry piney goodness that oozes lemon, lime, pineapple, & peach citrus. A generous caramel-like sweetness at the end.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Lots of dry citrusy pine that has a good bitter kick to it. Finishes rather dry too, but with a slightly creamy-like maltiness that has some caramel & honey in there.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Balance is good, but mostly has a IPA character rather than an amber, however it is rather good besides the point. Dry & bitter, yet crisp & refreshing at the same time; almost creamy.

(D)- A solid beer that I have looked forward to try for awhile now. Good flavor with a surprising crispness I wasnt expecting. Not as malty as I was expecting either, but also more hoppier than I was anticipating too. I am glas I was able to try this. Definitely good stuff and probably the best of the style I have had, but its borderline on an IPA in style, just maltier than most.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

- Beautiful Color
- Two fingers head
- Could be hoppier
- True to American Amber Style
- Could become everyday beer as very easy drinking
- Alcohol is 7.5% and hidden very well
- Slight malty overbearance
- If you like citrus overtones this beer is for you

2.95/5  rDev -32%

A -Clear amber. Decent bone-white head with little lacing.

S-Citrus smells and floral hops. Has some sweetness in the aroma.

T-My disappointment came here. Follows the nose mostly, but on a weaker level. Was expecting more of a citrus taste from the earlier smell, but it never really came through. The malt is solid, and the hops are great, just expected a bit more in the flavor.

M-Light to medium bodied. Nice carb. Not much of an aftertaste. Smooth going down

D-At 7.5% abv, you won't hurt yourself much drinking a few of these.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle from Beer Run in Charlottesville.

Appearance: Its a nice and clear dark orange. White head with average retention fades to patchy fluff. Really excellent lacing.

Smell: I took a whiff from the bottle after I cracked it and was presented with a nice smell of sticky green dank. From my tulip, the smell is less intense, but still there. There's also some citrus and pine.

Taste: There's pretty pronounced bitterness throughout, but its never really sharp. The hops flavors are grapefruit, pine, and bud. Fairly nicely balanced caramel malt sweetness. This is really solid.

Mouthfeel: Resiny stickiness is nice. Carbonation is right on. Very nice.

Drinkability: Doesnt get much better than this. Seems like it was 11 or 12 bucks for a six pack which is on the high side, but a really solid beer with few faults. An excellent "amber ale" and a damn good IPA, which it actually is more like.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A big thanks to wunderbeer for this one!

Appearance: Poured a fairly dark shade of amber with orange highlights. The slightly off-white head started at around two fingers and faded fairly quickly into an iceberg in the center of my glass. I was expected more lacing from this one, but all I was left with was a few haphazard splotches.

Smell: The hops in this dominant, but not as much as I expected. Getting a lot of apricot and grapefruit, the hops in this are extremely fruit centric. The malt backbone beneath the hops brings up tones of caramel and biscuit. There's also a splash of floral hops in here. It's a great aroma, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it even more if it was kicked up a couple notches.

Taste: This beer has an awesome dynamic bitterness to it. The different hop flavors are at war with each other, in a good way. At the beginning the fruity apricot and grapefruit flavors of the smell were completely in charge. As I continued to drink the floral hops from the smell faded in and out growing stronger until they became the dominant. Even further along the fruity hops came back with a vengeance. It's a very cool experience, every couple of sips were slightly different than the last. The constant here is the balancing caramel malt and perhaps a dose of toasted grain. This sure isn't your daddy's amber ale, it's much better.

Mouthfeel: Solid medium body, spot on for the style. The creaminess here is almost unparalleled by anything I've had out of a bottle short of an Imperial Stout. I felt the carbonation was touch on the low side, but didn't detract to much. Just enough to prevent a perfect 5.

Drinkability: I've had a couple of these highly hopped reds and I've come to the conclusion that I'm a big proponent of the fusion of styles. There is something about the combination of IPA like hop levels with the malt backbone of a red that keeps me coming back for more.

I think if Nugget Nectar was distributed in Michigan and wasn't a seasonal it would own some permanent real estate in my fridge. It's a damn shame I only have one more bottle.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Expressed my disappointment with this beer in a thread last week.
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A-One thing I LOVED about this beer was the color. Clear amber. Decent bone-white head with little lacing.

S-Citrus smells and floral hops. Has some sweetness in the aroma.

D-At 7.5% abv, you won't hurt yourself much drinking a few of these.

I like this beer. I guess I just don't see it being borderline world-class. I may get it again in the future. At $12.50 per sixer, it's a great price for a pretty good beer.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Crystal clear glowing amber color with a red hue. A finger of head that leaves nice lacing.

Smell is big citrus and floral hoppiness, with a sweet and biscuity malt backbone to add some balance.

The flavor is hop forward, yet by no means hop dominated. There is a strong biscuit backbone that lets you know that this is not an IPA, despite what the awesome bottle design might make you think. Very clean tasting.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but it feels fuller because of a large amount of soft carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good if you are wanting a flavorful beer to sip two or three of, but I'm not sure this holds up to my "does one make me happy?" standard of enjoyment.

Great beer overall.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsner glass

A: Pours a beautiful amber-red with about one and a half fingers of tan head that dissipates slowly leaving good lacing. A lot of carbonation bubbles release after pouring as well

S: Lots of floral, grassy, herbal and citrus notes from the hops are detected on the nose, along with a malty sweetness lurking behind the hoppiness

T: A lot of hoppiness. The same floral, grassy, herbal, and citrus notes that I detected in the smell. Its not overly hoppy though. The malts are there as well, and they add a kind of sweet backbone to all of the hoppiness. Finishes dry and hoppy again. This is a very tasty and well rounded beer.

M: This has a medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. It doesn't leave an oily feeling like many hoppy beers do either.

D: Very well rounded and delicious. Since it is not overbearing, I could drink this all night quite enjoyably.

Overall, this is an amazing beer. It is amazingly flavorful and well rounded. This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted in my life.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Waited until it reached 50 degrees and took a sip.

Great color- nice amber, clear.

Good lacing on the sides of the glass.

Awesome flavor-piney hops with nice malt flavor that balances it all out.

Totally drinkable, despite the higher ABV.

Highly recommended. Well balanced, tasty, puts me in the happy place.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a Firkin into a pint glass.

This is all about balanced flavors, with the malty sweetness meeting the hoppy tastes right down the middle. For an ale drinker, the best of all worlds represented in this offering. I have had it at the brewery, the bottle and now from a Firkin, and consistently good each time

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

This brew is a beautiful amber-red that combines clarity and depth very nicely. The color is what I expect. A tan head pours out at about one finger and retains well, leaving moderately thick lacing in equally moderate volume.
I've recently read a forum post questioning the strength and depth of this beer. I inhale deeply and instantly my fears are sated. This one is pure, fresh, raw, and deep, with hops all over the place creating a beautiful mix of citrus, resin, floral and earthy. Combined with a very nice balance from malts adding a slightly sweetening effect, I'm trying hard to imagine how this aroma could be better.
This is a tasty brew. The fresh citrus and pine come out straightaway, just as fresh, bright and clean but perhaps not as strong as I get from the nose. The balancing malts add a sweetness, subduing the high IBU and making this just a really tasty beer rather than the hop bomb some expect. Lots of grassy earthiness comes out in the finish. Delicious.
The body is medium but pretty filling, with smoothness beating out crispness. It seems almost to thicken in the swallow, if that makes sense. A little dryness pulls through, though it keeps smooth. As such, the finish is semi-dry and lingers pretty well.
Overall, this one is really drinkable given a fairly high ABV. It's a delicious beer well worth the hype and which, to be quite honest, I should have gotten more of.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Drank from snifter around 54 degrees.

Love the color. Exactly what I picture an amber to be. Bright and translucent. 1 finger head that hangs around for awhile and leaves a little lacing.

Aroma is that of hops and citrus.

Tastes like it smells for the most part. I'm getting an earthy/grassy taste mixed in with some sort of citrus. Can't put a finger on a particualr fruit, but most certainly in the citrus family. Grapefruit maybe?

The beer wasn't nearly as bitter as I had expected with the name and big hop on the label. I found it to be a nice combination of flavors and could see this being one of my favorites.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first sampling of the illustrious and debated Nugget Nectar. I can see why it is beloved, and why it underwhelms certain expectations. It is very balanced, and not too heavy handed in any aspect, I am not sure that everyone appreciates that, especially those looking for a hop OD...

A – It pours a very nice hue of amber-red, with good inch of head, less impressive lace.

S – The aroma is quite hoppy; piney and herbal, with a tad of caramel and a bit of alcohol. The aroma is nicely balanced, yet strongly hop-centric.

T – The taste is very well balanced. The red element is nicely expressed in this one, countered with a mostly bitter and herbal hop. A bit of pleasant mineral flavor is present as well. Despite the redness, no peat or butterscotch flavors are there, and that is a very good thing in my book.

M – Very nice; effervescent and on the lighter side of medium-bodied.

D – I will gladly drink this.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint.

Beautiful foamy head full of bubbles like cake batter. Nice lace down the glass as well.

Aroma is rich with wet hops. Floral, Earthy, spicy, and piny.

Flavor begins with intense yet well balanced hops and finishes sweet and nutty with the malt. Hints of citrus and cinnamon. This is truly a top notch beer. The balance of crisp hops with a gentle smoothness is rare. Incredibly easy to drink for how hoppy it is.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I've been waiting a long time to try this beer, and the legendary Hopslam. Paid 12.99/six pack for the Nugget Nectar but it was worth it to try my first imperial amber, and one I've heard so much about!

A - Very clear dark golden color with a two finger tan head. Varying sizes of carbonation bubbles, interesting.

S - Loads of floral and citrus hops, but not as heavy on the earthy and grassy notes you tend to get with an imperial pale ale, for instance. Lots of sweet, bready malt follows.

T - Very hoppy but just slightly sweet. Not much bitterness or alcohol taste at all. Not as hoppy as I was expecting but it is so damn well balanced I can't complain! Has a smoky aspect to it that I have found in many craft brewed ambers.

M - Very smooth and the carbonation is just right. Doesn't leave much taste in your mouth which keeps me coming back for another sip.

D - Dangerously drinkable. It just goes down so easy.

Overall I was very impressed. It is a unique take on this whole era of imperial ales and one I'd definitely like to see more of. Very hoppy and flavorful without being so bitter to make your average craft brew drinker wince. I'd love to get some more if it was cheaper! If you are a fellow lover of hoppy beers and see this, get it and treat yourself! Now if only I could track down some Hopslam one of these days...

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, orange-amber body with a tall head of off-white, long lasting foam. Thin delicate sheets of lace on the descent.

Smell: Sure, there're some mild notes of bready malt to be sniffed up, but, for the most part, it's a nose of fresh, moist, juicy hops. All at once, it's richly floral, grassy, citrusy, and spicy. Nice.

Taste: Lightly bready, toasty, but adequately sweet malts jump-start the taste. Next, in charges a vibrant, multi-faceted American hop character: fresh florals, light pine saplings, ground spices, refrigerator-chilled ruby red grapefruit, and fresh, juicy tangelos. Moderate bitterness, though while it's jam-packed with hops, it thankfully never becomes harsh or unpleasantly astringent. Soon, a staunch, firm grassiness enters the taste. Finishes predominately bitter, though a bit more malty sweetness is encountered, with a lingering grassiness and ever-so-slight alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Just a hair above medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth, soothing mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Top notch expression of hops. For me, it's just the right amount and right blend of hops to make for a very enjoyable brew, with enough malts and not a drop more alcohol than is needed. Well done, Tröegs!

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- poured into a pint glass, clear orange-rust color, with minimal head
S- hops, pine
T- the taste is hoppy, but very balanced. no hint of the slightly elevated ABV
M- feel is thin so it goes down easy, moderate to high carbonation.
D - by the label, I was afraid the hops would be overpowering, but they are not. very drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Excited to try this one...

A: Looks perfect. Deep murky copper color with a thick 1 inch white head that fades decently.

S: Smell oaky hops upfront. Grassy notes in the middle. Hints of caramel on the backend. Not too bad.

T: Grapefruit and sugar upfront. Not too hot on the hops which works well for this brew. Port / grassy taste on the backend. Not too bad.

M: Doesn't leave too much in your mouth. Good balance of carbonation and water.

D: Goes down very easy. Super smooth.

All in all, I did like this brew. I didn't know what to expect as I am not a super hop guy. This one had a good balance of everything. Good to try at least once and formulate your own opinion.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Pouring from a 12 oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A nice clean orange, leaning more towards straw yellow than amber. Fluffy white head quickly retreates to a nice 1/4" lid.

Smells like the label suggests. as is someone has squeezed out a giant hop nugget into the head of the beer. Very Earthy, with a hint of citrus.

The hops manage a nice Earthy flavor, while still coming across as clean and fruity. Grapefruit sour balances it very nicely.

Feel is decent. Not too much carbonation, which works for me.

Very drinkable. Good hoppy aroma and taste, but no overpowering bitter pucker. Great name as well. Too many beers these days are not what they claim to be, but Nugget Nectar fits this brew perfectly.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another beer i've been looking forward to for a while.

Pours a very pleasant deep amber/copper color. I don't usually put much stock in the appearance of beer unless something is obviously wrong, but this one really stood out to me. Light head with minimal lacing. Looks just wonderful in the tulip glass.

Smell is hop forward but with a sense of sweetness behind it. I've read others saying they get a lot of citrus here, but i'm getting only a small amount. Still pleasant.

Taste is hoppy on the front end, but not overly so (i wouldn't mistake this for a DIPA). It finishes very smooth/sweet, which, i suppose is why the 97ibus are not that overwhelming. The longer you drink it the more the sweet/malty elements come through, never really with any indication of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, smooth. No harshness to it like i've started to grown accustomed to in some of the bigger beers. This in turn makes the drinkability relatively high, yet for all the smoothness and well blended elements I don't find this as "easy" to drink as I was hoping. I feel the same way about brown shugga (though granted that's a higher abv and also not as well put together), so perhaps it has something to do with the sweetness.

In total this is a nice change of pace from some of the big beers i've been drinking of late. Due to the hop levels in this one, i see now why so many are so wanting to compare it to a DIPA, but it really is a different experience. A very interesting and, for me, different beer. At $10 a sixer, it's also nice to be able to get something from the top 100 that's affordable (though, of course, I can't get any more in NC, so perhaps that's a mute point).

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Bomber poured into tulip. Bottled 1/10.
Pours beautifully into my glass forming a rich 2 finger head. Deep copper in color with amber hues. Head retention and lacing are adequate. Smell is amazing with strong fruity hops. Grapefruit, orange, and apricot. Very comparable to some DIPAs. Up front, the hops are very prominent giving a very memorable first impression. Notes of apricot, pine, and honey flavours. Very potent as well. The warmth from the alcohol comes in at the end. However, it doesn't take away from the enjoyment of this beer because of it's complexity of flavours. If anything it makes it better. An amazing and unique brew.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bomber. Pours a very transparent amber color with good carbonation. Thick foamy white head with decent lacing. Smell is hoppy, sweet, and slightly bready. Sweet and somewhat fruity taste with bitter hops coming through towards the end. Mouthfeel is kind of watery but good. Slightly sticky. This is very drinkable. I'd love to have some more.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Body is a copper hue with a slight hint of red. A sliver of white head.

S: Straight fruity hops, some nice orange, a bit of grapefruit, and some lemon. A faint bread in the background, and a bit of floral hops in the nose as well.

T: Straight up, this beer is so easy to drink and has an unreal balance of hops and malt. 97 ibu's, right. The bitterness is there, but doesn't make you rear your head or make you think its a strong DIPA. Great meld of citrus and a bit of grapefruit. Backing of grain and some bread.

M: Spot on.

D: This beer has always been a staple. Grabbed a case the week it came out, and might have to get another one before it goes away.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours orangey amber with a small, white head.

The aroma is quite citrusy, with mandarin orange and pine shining through fairly easily. Really nice for the style but not monumental for beer.

The taste is packed with orangey citrus and is very drying on the palate.

For this style it's going to be tough to beat, but as an overall beer it's not all that exciting.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Aggressively poured into tulip...

A: Pours a clear and vibrant bright amber hue with hints of ruby and a nice three finger frothy head that leaves excellent webbed lacing. Falls very slowly...

S: Citrus and pine hops combine with a nice balance of caramel malt to create a well rounded aroma, not as big as I would expect, but very nice.

T: A little more reserved than I expected in the flavor department...follows the nose with a nice balance of citrus and pine hops and caramel malt, but beyond that there isn't much to speak of. Expected a little more from all of the hype, but nevertheless it is very nice, just not the wow factor that I expected....

M: Medium body with very smooth carbonation, dry finish and lingering hops and a little citrus give it a little extra boost. Very nice.

D: You would never guess this is 7.5% abv, very very smooth and clean, could drink several of these and then be in trouble! Wish this were distributed on the West Coast...

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company