Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Tastes are.... well, as you well could've imagined, honey malt, honey itself, hops, Dry Irish yeast, bagel, flower pedals, more hops and booze. Smells are mintiness, hops, malt, burnt honey, red meat, sugar, dog treats and bamboo. A really very, very interesting beer!

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Glad to find this one, and in single bottles to boot. 12 oz. bottle on May 23rd, 2011 in a pint glass.

Nugget Nectar is a deep golden, amber coloring with a solid one-inch thick head. Very frothy with good retention, lots of lacing, and lots of carbonation rising up from the bottom of my pint. Overall, splendid appearances on this one.

The aroma profile is very citrusy and sweet with elements of honey, caramel contrasting with orange, slight grapefruit and pine. Nice initial wafts from the nose. Not much floral.

The drink serves up tart orange that almost lime-like. Lots of hop bitterness but it is greatly controlled. Nice balance, oddly without a lot of malt emphasis. It's rather well-done.

Very smooth mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Body is thicker than I thought it would be. Medium-length finish and a moderate level of dryness.

Highly drinkable. No abv presence, quite flavorful in both aroma and taste. NN is very inviting and demands that I revisit.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

I'm not really sure why this beer is ranked as highly as it is. Don't get me wrong, it is a good beer, but no where near world class. It is a beautiful beer with a great smell, but the taste is simply not that outstanding. It is a very drinkable beer, and the fact that they label it as an imperial amber sets it apart. I think I'm more disappointed because it just didn't live up to the hype that I read on this site.

I hope to try it again and see if it was my tastes that were off. I've only had it once, and I want to give it a fair shake.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

This is long overdue, 2 cases later, I've decided on my final beer of nugget nectar for the 2011 season, I'd write a review on it.
Same batch from February.

A: Pours a copper amber color, creamy light tan head that leaves heaps of lacing.

S: Wallop of citrusy and sweet fruit hops up front, with a piney hop and sugary malt scent in the background. There is a definite aroma of pineapple in there.

T: Same punch of a wide variety of hop flavors, perfectly accentuated by the sweet malt's not quite balancing out, but backing up the strong hop flavor. Pineapples, oranges.

M: Medium+ body, with a sticky feel. Honestly goes down very smooth and crisp for a stronger ale of this sort. I'd session it, after all I finished my first case of this stuff in under a week back in Feb haha.

O: This beer is most definitely in my top 3... or 5.... maybe 2. I don't know, regardless it's one that I hold in high esteem. It's perfectly put together for my palette, not insanely priced, and I feel that it's seasonal availability adds to it just that little bit more.... Until 2012 Nugget Nectar, farewell!

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a light red color with a finger of white head that becomes a layer of bubbles up top.

S: Clean, refreshing floral hops, slight caramel malt, a touch of citrus zest

T: A very balanced taste of citrus and floral hops and caramel malts throughout. The initial, middle, and aftertaste all resonate with hops and malts equally, which I have to say is quite an accomplishment. Still, Oskar Blues' Gknight is better than this one.

M: Slightly sticky and resiny, leaves a nice hop stickiness in the back of your throat, warms nicely. Highly drinkable.

O: This is a very tasty brew, but it hasn't changed my top 5 DIPA list.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Got this in a trade from trxxpaxxs. No bottle on or best by date.

I enjoyed this next to a dry-aged porterhouse seared rare. The crisp bitterness paired well with the buttery and fatty sweetness of the steak.

A - Poured in a New Belgium globe. It poured a slightly cloudy dark red-amber with a nice one-finger beige head. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Very pungent aroma with huge citrus; orange, grapefruit and lemon zest. Yeast and pine notes backed up the fruits.

T - Caramel and honeyed malts w/ orange up front. The malt and yeast peek through then fade to earthy, grassy, and lemon flavors before the sharp pine bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium-bodied feel with moderate carbonation and a bit of alcohol warmth. I was looking for a bit more smoothness.

O/D - Nice showcase of hop complexity; citrusy, grassy and piney. None of these characteristics dominate so it ends up being a nice balance. Malt character and sweetness are secondary, but very nice.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle from the 2011 batch, poured into an Imperial British "nonick" Pint. The best glass for IPA's under 9-10% ABV, IMO

Beautiful orange amber color, with a thick head when first poured, dissapears quickly but easily revived with a little swirling

When smelled you immediatly notice a nice light sweet malt, followed by distinctly flowery hops, and toasty pine resin. A classic American IPA

The first sip delivers a full bodied, hop delicious entry, crisp mouthfeel, with a touch of malt sweetness, very well balanced, incredibly delicious and a true pleasure to drink

Long hop finish that just makes you want to take another sip, very addictive

One of my favorite IPA's. An American Classic.
States Imperial on the lable but at 7.5% ABV it's a little light for that. My "house" IPA is 6.7% ABV. Still overall a "great" Beer

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to captinredbeard and scotvega18 for hooking up the nugget nectar. you guys rock

poured into tulip

Color: Like the type of beer, it pours an amber color with hints of orange. This beer is well carbonated and leaves behind some decent lacing. A dime thick head sits a top of this beer.

Nose: A wonderful hop bouquet. Floral and light citrus. Some orange and lemon appear in the background.

Palate: Excellent mouth feel! Balanced and with some good bite. I get some caramel blended in with the nice hop body. Mellow citrus come in waves.

Finish: Short but full of flavor. Not complex but nicely layered with all its components. Great all around beer!

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Received from benpopper. Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A - Amber color with a small amount of off white head.

S - Malt dominates with a light citrus undertone.

T - Heavy malt characteristic with a bitter hop finish.

M - Light mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Very easy to drink.

O - While I usually gravitate towards beers that are more hop-forward, I did enjoy this beer. Easy to drink, refreshing and well-balanced. I'd search it out again if I had the opportunity.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Received this one from Crabbicuss in N00b BIF 4. Thanks bud.

Poured a nice amber color with a decent amount of slightly off-white head.

Smell is full of malt. Pleasant smell for sure.

Taste is very very good. Full of rich malt throughout with a slightly bitter hop finish. Great tasting beer.

Light-medium mouthfeel. Very refreshing and easy drinking beer.

I really enjoyed this one overall. Hard to know if it lived up to all the hype I heard/read about it. But definitely glad I got to try it and I'll definitely look for it again in the future.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

I picked this bottle up upon release because I was told that it worked like a double IPA. My hop headiness craved this opportunity. After my first bottle, I picked up two more. Sadly, this is my last bottle. Troegs needs to make this a regular offering, or I need to be more patient.

The hoppiness comes through in the head. I get some pineyness and floral hops. It smells excellent.

The flavors really match the head. This is a really tasty beer.

If you can find it... pick up a bottle. This is an excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Imperial Red is one of the best out there I think. It pours out as a really nice amberish color with a strong thick head that leaves a great lacing. The aroma on this beer is wonderful. It smells like a citrusy floral IPA. It's makes my mouth water just smelling it. The taste is piney and citrusy. It's very bitter and pretty much a kick in the mouth. The mouthfeel is slightly heavy, not heavy enough to keep you from having multiple over the course of some time. Overall this beer is quite good. Highly recommended upon it's release. Do yourself a favor and try this if you haven't already.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Fantastic beer. I've never had another "imperial amber" but this is as drinkable as Elliot Ness beer and is a surprising 7.5% ABV. Great summer/porch beer, I would recommend everyone to have at least a few on hand. It's a great beer too because non-craft beer drinkers can really enjoy it as it's lighter from some of the malty stouts.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Bomber poured into a tasting glass

A: Golden amber in color with a fluffy white head and good retention. Lacing of the glass tells me how many drinks I've had.

S: Wow! Powerful shot of grapefruit and pineapple. I get lots of pineapple from this. Makes my mouth water and want to drink it already!

T: Nice hop kick with minimal bitterness, smooth and no alcohol presence. Just like with the smell, grapefruit and pineapple are up front, present, and accounted for.

Overall this is a very impressive IPA and I would love to be able to enjoy this more often. This is going to have a permanent stay on my "wants" list.

Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

I originally had this beer as part of a sampler at the Troegs Brewery in PA this past winter. I've had this beer a couple times recently and I would recommend it.

The beer pours an amber color with a small white head.

The aroma is of citrus and pine. Smooth, crisp, not overwhelmingly bitter.

Good drinkability with this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Color is a very clear copper. Forms a small white head that leaves minimal lacing.

S: Blend of caramel malts and piney hops.

T: Caramel malts and a blend of piney and citrus hops leave a moderate, but persistent bitterness on the finish. Slightly sweet and a bit spicy.

M: On the heavier side of medium with appropriate carbonation.

O: I found this beer to be a bit disappointing and a bit of a let down, lacking the strong hop character I was expecting it to have. Still a good beer, but maybe with the effort I went through to track this one down, I was just expecting something more and what was delivered was a solid, but otherwise unexciting, beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Fluffy white one-finger head over clear amber body. Laces nicely.

Nose is of hops but floral and citrusy. I'm not a hops fan, but this is pleasant.

Wow, this is complex; there's hops here, sure, but also some wheatiness, and a bit of mango. 'Tropical,' my friend's assessment, isn't off-base. Despite a big old hop-nugget on the front, this is quite well balanced and worth a try even for non hop-hounds. There is a hop-and-honey aftertaste though.

Mouthfeel is fine, a bit prickly.

Nicely balanced, well rounded, and to think i almost wrote it off for having the 'hoppy' illustration. Could make a convert out of somebody.

Reviewed on 3.26.11

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a golden-copper orange that is clear with a cream colored, medium sized head.

S- Smells of piney hops.

T- Malty sweet, pine, and some citrus.

D- No bitterness and good carbonation.

O- A very nice balance between Malts and Hops. Loved it!

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%

Big ups to Richbrew on hooking me up with this.

A- Pours a hazy orange with about and inch of fluffy white head with great lacing.

S- Strong citrus smells along with a very noticable malty smell in the background.

T- Very citrusy and hoppy, suprising for and amber which adds a lovely touch to it. Malts of some sort are also present on the pallet.

M- Nice carbonation in this one not to much not to little.

Overall great Amber here tastes like a better Hopslam. I would have no problem putting down more then one of these on a hot summer day.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

It pours on amber orange color.

Aroma- Strong Citrusey aroma

Taste- Citrus notes with a defiant hop bite.

Mouth feel- Dry but heavy feel as your drink it.
---
Overall- Im a big fan of it as spring beer. I ejoyed the hop bite and it goes down smooth.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

One of my favorite amber ales that has some serious hop bite. Color is a deep copper tone with two fingers of head and nice lacing left on the glass. Grapefruit and lemon peel aromas with not much malt presence on the nose. Flavors of citrus peel and spice are accentuated with the slightly malty undertones giving it a nice complex flavor. More of an IPA than an amber but definitely worth seeking out when its in season.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Cracked open the 12oz bottle thanks to groetman! Pours and orange amber color with a one finger head, very heavy lacing on this brew. Aromas of citrusy hops with a creamy balance. The taste follows the nose, it's smooth and well balanced. Not a kick of hops yet really good hop profile. Hides the alcohol well. Overall this is a very tasty beer, I would love a case of this to make it one of my regular beers!

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA

pours a beautiful amber color with a light tan head, with pretty solid retention.

the aroma is pure hops along with a fair amount of pine. I have never smelled a more pine-centric beer.

the taste was great, and the various bittering hops were so well balanced that i could not believe it.

Great, great beer!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Warm orangey amber to leaning slightly golden copper. Clear with a few rising bubbles. Huge light pastel mango (sort of light yellow sherbet) head of foam that turns rocky. It keeps a cap and leaves really great lace.

S: Pungent orange, tangerine, grapefruit citrus nose. Caramel & pale malt in the background with a light sweetness. Aromatic and strongly inviting.

T: Bitterness is there for sure, but it is more hop flavor focused. Great robust and rounded citrus. Some orange, some tangerine, some grapefruit juice, some rind… There is also some tropical fruit and a general juicy fruit effect going on. Just a bit of resin comes through in the end. Malts are just the barest step behind with juicy pils, some steely light caramel, some lighty toasty grains and hints of bread crust. Not complicated malts, but robust, punchy, and appealing. Peppery alcohol sneaks in as it warms, as does the herbal/grassy/floral hops.

M: A bit over medium body with CO2 a touch underbalanced. Creates a mildly viscous, chewy feel with a fair amount of residual sugars. Yet, the obviously plentiful hops lead to a semi-dry finish. Super faint alcohol warmth creeps in toward the end.

D: Juicy, balanced (in a big way of course) & beautiful. Robust & refreshing at the same time - while it almost completely hides its substantial abv. This is one dangerously drinkable brew.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Nugget nectar is a crisp amber ale with plenty of hops.

A: Clear orange colour and excellent head. 4