Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden-orange (more orange than gold), with lots and lots of bubbles and two fingers of slowly dissipating frothy white head. Incredibly thick lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: This baby's intense. As soon as I poured, notes of pine and honey began to fill the room. Very bready and grassy smelling as well - a good balance of hops and malt.

Taste: A grassy bitterness, backed by bready/honey malt sweetness. The initial bitter bite fades quickly, but there's a lingering bitter aftertaste. Considering how strong the smell is, however, the flavors are somewhat mild. I have to remind myself that this is an amber, and it's not supposed to be an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, which might be why I think the flavors are a little muted. Might be a tad undercarbonated as well, but again, as this is classified as an amber, they are supposed to be smooth and easy drinking, and not thick and chewy.

Drinkability: A very easy drinking beer. A nice attempt at a compromise between an IPA and an amber ale. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the hybrid style though - it's close enough to a DIPA that I want the real thing. That being said, I did enjoy the beer, and I would have it again - but I probably wouldn't go to great lengths to seek it out.

StarlightSeraph, May 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9%

The appearance of this when poured was really on the low end of amber really quite pale. The nose was nothing but hops, some floral maybe a little nutty note. The flavor, although quite good was more like an IPA then an Amber, I expected more of a malt backbone to balance out this beer, instead I got an IPA. The moutfeel and drinkability of this beer are great and I would gladly drink this beer again, but not if it was an Amber that I wanted.

alphanon, May 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a dark copper-amber color. Head is creamy, and lacing is nothing short of superb. I've never had a pint pour maintain such a nice coat of lacing through the entire sipping experience, especially an amber ale.
Sweet malts and floral hops dominate the nose.
Sweet malt, tart yeast and a residual but present hoppiness blend together very well for a tasty experience. This is much more bold than I'm accustomed with an amber ale.
The feel of the brew is its only downside. It was somewhat watery, in which the carbonation more resembled that of a nitro-tap. Still, said carbonation is likely what likely produced such a wonderful creamy head/lace.
Very drinkable, very well-balanced. The type of beer which grows on you more & more as you drink it.

Natural510, May 25, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a very clear copper with tons of rising bubbles. This beer has the kind of head that only comes from an abundance of hops. Thick, cratery, and sticky.

The nose contains notes of candied pineapple, deep earthiness, candied grapefruit.

Tastes like caramel, candied pineapple, pine, oranges and fresh pear. YUM TOWN! On the whole, it is more sweet than bitter, but a sharp, bitter edge is always present.

It has a full, creamy body; nice carbonation.

I have nothing bad to say about this beer. I can't wait to try it fresh next year!

sarahspat, May 24, 2009

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonik pint glass at my house

Pours a hazy copper color with a thick, frothy white head.

Lots of pine floralness in the nose, bread-like malt comes next, with a small touch of coriander.

The floral hops are strong in the flavor, with the balanced maltiness. The pine is mellow compared to the nose.

A crisp finish, a touch of sweetness. A strong and superb beer.

mhatters, May 23, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Dark amber with a huge white fluffy head that retains and laces.

S - Hop citrus zest, floral notes

T - Hop blast, citrus notes, very floral. Nice malt background without being sweet.

M - Medium carbonation and medium in body.

D - Extremely drinkable because it's so damn good. Very balanced, not super hops, but enough to be perfect for a hoppy beer.

Martin2D, May 21, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

I'd heard a lot of good things about this beer and was really excited to try it.

I had a 22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Color was an appetizing clear orange/amber with a nice head that dissipated rather quickly. This did not in any way detract from my enjoyment of it.

I was blown away by the hop aroma. I detected subtle caramel and malt aromas, as well. Simply put, it smells delicious and way more complex than I'm letting on with this brief description.

I was hoping that the flavor would live up to what the aroma promised, and It did. Sweet malt and caramel-like flavors compliment the hops beautifully. This brew would be great with many a meal. This brew would be great FOR many a meal...

The moderate carbonation lends itself to a very pleasant mouth feel. The sweetness gives an illusion of syrupy thickness that intensifies as it gets warmer. I say "illusion" because I actually found it to be quite refreshing and not in any way heavy or sticky. The fact that it has a moderate ABV (compared to a lot of the high powered double IPAs that I usually drink) is a definite plus, too (in that you can have a couple of these and not have them sneak up on you too badly).

I LOVE THIS BEER!

mmmdonuts12000, May 19, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

From notes 4-10-09

Eye: This brew is clear and is pretty much orange in color. Head formation was nice, yet retention could use some work. Formed at about 1.5 fingers then collapsed to a bubbly flim. Lacing left behind is in sheets.

Nose: Hop aroma takes the foreground here, some catty hop aromas, as well as some heavy citrus aromas. Malt aroma is evident, its very strong giving support to hops, caramel and sweet wort aroma are very prevalent. This one almost smells like the wort during the boil as the first hop addition is made. Overall nice aroma, pretty much what can be expected from the "imperial amber" label.

Tongue: Hop bitterness and flavor are foreground supported by a very strong malt presence that makes its way through. Caramel and a general malt sweetness give the hops something to compete with. Hop flavor is floral, grassy and earthy. To me it almost seems that there are two specific things going on here, hops and malt. They don't really blend, hop bitterness is huge and it is countered by malt sweetness, one follows the other. They don't happen at the same time. Were the hops absent or the malt absent I think that this would be a poorly crafted beer. As it is I think that the overall blend of hops and malt should be more universal, it could be blended better. There are three single minded aspects to this beer: malt sweetness, hop bitterness, and hop flavor-three different stages of brewing: mashing, hopping the wort and boiling to get concentrated sweetness and hop bitterness, dry hopping. It seems that its all real clear how this beer was crafted....not too much complexity.

Feel and Drinkability:Heavier than should be body with an almost syrupy quality, low carbonation adds to this feel, really this one almost feels if it is under attunated...thick, there are unfermented sugars here that should be fermented. This beer is good, but I think that it could be better, there's some things I'd change about it were I able. Not too sure I like the feel here, a little too heavy, more carbonation would help to lighten it. This is another one of those beers thats reputation is huge, you hear that its completely awesome and blows everything away....then you taste it and find that the only thing that is blown away is this specific beer's reputation. Too much street cred. This is a good beer, don't get me wrong, but I think that now, its riding its own coattails. Not that I won't buy it agian, but when I do I'll know that its not worth $12.99-13.99. Glad I tried it, but really not worth the dollars. Should be cheaper if you ask me, its not all that well crafted....

becktone, May 17, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Nice amber, very clear, with a one finger head, and light carbonation. The head faded quickly leaving just a coating on top, but it still laced the glass as I drank.

S - One of the best smelling beers ever. It smells like they used a lot of late hop additions of a few different kinds. Lots of citrus and pine aroma with floral undertones. Just a great smelling beer.

T - Lots of hop flavor and bitterness but very well balanced with the toasted malt flavors. Nice citrus finish without much sweetness.

M - Dry, crisp beer. Not a lot of sugars left over in there so it is a tad thin. Wish it was a little more carbonated, but could have been the keg my growler was filled from.

D - Lot of IBUs and alcohol don't usually mean very drinkable, but this finishes so crisp it doesn't fill you up. Would like a little more carbonation to make it finish even better.

steelerguy, May 17, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

At my local liquor store pickin' up a 6er for the night and magically stumbled upon this Nectar of the Gods. Woe is me... This beer gets an automatic +1 for the label, no question about it. A fist sized hop! Unreal. God knows what I'm getting myself into here. I can't wait

The pour is a beautiful golden amber with a frothy white head and some of that sticky icky lacing all down the sides as it settles.
This beer smells complex, honest to god. Malts and hops vying for my attention throughout. I can't help but keep my nose buried in this one. When I'm looking for it, I can smell some caramel malt- then biscuit- then some sweeter malts. Then I adjust and can practically taste all of the hops- citrus, floral, and even some grassy notes. Yowza.
First thought upon tasting- Almost the perfect session brew? If it weren't for the drunkability factor with 7.5 abv, I think it'd undoubtedly be the perfect session beer. But hey, some nights I'm looking for that drunkability factor...some afternoons even...ok ok ok some mornings.
What a complex taste. That's not all that unbelievable, though. After everything in the nose on this one, it's almost expected. Too many beers out there nowadays just taste gray, with no real discernible flavors. Nugget Nectar is a mix of brown, red, green, yellow...you get the picture. The caramel and biscuit malts are certainly there, but take a back seat to the 3 or 4 separate hop flavors that take their turns on my palate.
What can I say about mouthfeel or drinkability that hasn't been said already? Nothing.... So great in those regards.

Nectar of the Gods, I'll certainly be seeing you again sometime soon...and as often as I can after that.

originalsin, May 16, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Aroma - Very floral hops with some citrus. This is probably the most hops I've ever smelled.

Appearance - Golden red with plenty of carbonation building a decent off-white head that hangs around.

Taste - Hops and more hops with a slight acidic touch. Different than piney hops more floral like the aroma. Bitterness is there too. Tons of flavor and almost none of it beer like, in a good way.

Mouthfeel - Medium thanks to that carbonation

Drinkability - I'm not a hophead, but this was an amazingly interesting beer.

jwhawkins81, May 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Bamadog for the hookup on this one!

A: Amber and golden - frothy white head, bubbles and sticky lacing

S: Very floral, spiciness and citrus in the nose - grapefruit maybe?

T: Some piney hops with spice coming through, citrus and a nice balanced bitterness in the front and in the finish.

M: Medium carbonation and a slight drying effect in the finish

D: This is a great beer - very enjoyable and sessionable even with the 7.5% ABV

beerman207, May 16, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Served at the most recent Chelsea cask event

One of the most satisfying beers I've ever experienced on cask.

Still remembered how faint I felt after trying this at the last cask event, I made it a priority to impose upon some patrons & nudge my way into their booth for this one.

Cask was actually a bit more unsettled then I remember. I think they were tipping it at this point, & I got one of the next to last draws. No matter, just more of what I want. A muddled brown leather color. A heavy quarter-inch ring of meringue head that I wasn't expecting.

Smell at first was solvent-y, but quickly warmed into a macerated glass of stollen, with plenty of extra orange & pit-y zest.

Taste was immensely doughy & packed with crusty loaves & stale cake. Citrus bitterness roamed the background, a bit muddled, but more intertwined then it's straight edged bottle self. A little lactic maybe, filled in with some stale pepper. Finish was a tad leafy, but very grainy & hearty as well.

Drinkability isn't quite as good as it should be just because of my love/hate relationship with cask, but wow, this is better then the bottle. Carbonation is about the same, but I just don't sense the hops that everyone points out. Much more juicy & bittersweet, & delicately peppered, then shudderingly masochistic.

PEBKAC, May 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A- Pours a beautiful deep amber/ruby color. Medium head with medium lacing.

S- Smells delicious... big citrusy hops with a sweet, almost molasses-like note lingering behind (carmel?).

T- Not as hoppy as I would have hoped... wait, I take that back. Starts with a nice bready (and some slightly toasted) malt. Moves into a nice blend of citrusy and piney hops. Some sweetness lingers in the background, as in the nose. Definitely one of the better ambers I've had.

M- Creamy. Smooth and medium-light bodied.

D- Loving this one. Definitely a good drink, especially on a hot summer day.

LordAdmNelson, May 13, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

The label for this puppy is really friggin' sexy in my opinion. Bright orange with a fist-sized hop: labels do not get any more blunt than that.

Poured out, this beer looks a lot like cream soda. It's completely transparent and clear looking with some satisfactory head retention.

The smell of this beer definitely is impactful. Hops, citrus flavors (particularly orange) all burst into your nostrils to create an overall sweet aroma. Other than that, it's really nice smelling and the hop complexity of the beer definitely rubs off on you.

The only real flavor that hits you hard is hop. However, unlike hops in IPAs, which generally can be sharper, the hops in this beer are completely incremental. As I enjoyed each gulp and swooshed it around, I could taste each of the different hops that this beer is loaded with. Additionally, Troegs really perfected the release of flavors with this beer; nothing is nullified from a different flavor and it's possible to really taste each part of the beer.

Although the mouthfeel wasn't anything spectacular and was a bit thin for my liking, it was so delicious that I didn't care.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer and found myself a new favorite by Troegs. I wish they would make this an all-year round brew though...

Finkel, May 12, 2009

12oz bottle from newest release. Appearance: amber with a small white head and some lace.
Aroma: Grapefruit, blood orange, light pine or cypress sawdust.
Flavor: Hoppy, citrus, fruity, just enough malt sweetness to stand up to the hops. Sweet grainy caramel touch.
Palate: Medium bodied with fine bubbles.
Overall: Doesn't really have the malt you would expect in an imperial amber, but the massive hops do make it hard to tell. Pretty tasty stuff.
Rerate: Cask at Birerria Paradiso. Huge hop nose seemed more expressive than the bottle. Have to give that a boost.

bulletrain76, May 11, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Golden orange pour with 1/2 inch white head....little retenton and a bit of lacing

Great smelling beer. Hops..pines.mango/pineapple

Taste is big wonderful hops with a good smooth malty balance. Mouthfeel is nice with bubbly carbonation..
Extremely drinkable!!

stonequarrywest, May 11, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

fresh filled growler served in a standard pint glass.

Clear orange color with a fluffy off-white head that left a good coating of lacing behind. The aroma is full of piney and citrus hops. The taste of the hops is balanced out well with a bold malty back bone. Medium bodied brew with mild carbonation is very drinkable.

JoeyBeerBelly, May 09, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Acquired this in a recent trade with tai4ji2x. Bottled around mid-January, which makes it about four months old. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, orange-amber, body with creamy, frothy, off-white, head. Retention is okay - dies to a soapy ring after a few minutes. Tons and tons of lace with this one. Looks mean.

Smell: Tons of sweet grains. Caramel, pine, toastiness, wood, spice, and then there's the hops! Sweet, herbal, floral, hops with added citrus to boot! Damn!

Taste: Mouthful of toasted bread and grain. Good dosage of caramel and citrus keeps things sweet, but not overly so. Hop bite is mild; nowhere near the listed 93 IBUs. Lots of herbal and floral characters in here. This is super, super smooth! Hops form a sweet, resinous, citrus flavor as well. Simple, but ridiculously tasty and balanced. Best amber I've ever had - hands down!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied; much lighter than I expected from an "Imperial Amber". Carbonation is perfect and makes this one velvety smooth. Sticky, resinous, and a little gritty. Nicely done.

Drinkability: What an awesomely drinkable beer! The best balanced amber I've ever had. Flavor profile isn't too pungent or mild; it's exactly where it needs to be. More of a warm weather beer (perfect right now). I could easily drink this all day long.

ThreeWiseMen, May 09, 2009
4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a semi cloudy bright orange color with a nice head that retains very well. Excellent lacing left on the glass with each sip, leaving rings behind. Smells extremely citrusy, citrus hops galore, very juicy, tropical fruit coming out, melons, watermelon, pineapple, smells delicious!!! Tastes of more citrus hops, cantaloupe, orange peel, tangerines, pineapple, bitter astringent finish, balanced out nicely with a tasty malty bill. Medium bodied, great carbonation, dry finish...astringent. Very drinkable...awesome.

Doomcifer, May 08, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to PhiDelt for the opportunity to try this one. 12oz. bottle served in a standard pint glass. Bottled on 01/05/09 indicated on the bottle. Poured a translucent amber with copious tiny bubbles in solution. One inch bright white head sizzled and popped as it slowly receded into a quarter inch consistent cap; thick bands of lacing coated the sides of the glass during the tasting. Nose suggests grapefruit with piney hops hidden in the back. Taste is not as sweet as the nose suggested. Flavors are piny, floral and slightly resinous on a malty backbone with the citrus quality coming across as citric acid astringency. Mouthfeel is between light- and medium-bodied with a consistent background carbonation; a little oily on the tongue, but also a little bit of citric acid burn as the brew hits your mouth and tongue that slowly dissipates as it's swallowed. Awesome brew. This would be a staple if it was available in RI.

Jwale73, May 06, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

first off, love the graphics on this bottle...

A - great look! darker amber, with a tan head..cloudy unfiltered look (which I love)

S - you can smell the hops as soon as you pop off the cap (you can almost smell them through the bottle, also a def. hint of citrus...for fans of IPAs or hoppier beers...this ones for you!

T - You'd think this one is an IPA...very hoppy, strong....a bit of a citrus twang...

MF - not too carbonated, but could be a little less

D - definitely an A! in my top 5 of beers!

McGIPA, May 06, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Fresh perrenial flowers. Good smell of the openning petals of a flower. Great amber color that is deeper than most. Great fluffy head. Hello hops. Like fresh topsoil. Good stuff. Leaves a great hoppy aftertaste. Despite the complex hop profile and sweet/bitter notes, this is very smooth.

ThaBobfather, May 03, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

(This bomber was purchased end of April)

Poured a clear caramel/amber color with a 1 finger head that leaves some sudsy lacing.

Smells of pine,hops,malt, spice, light orange peel, and even a light floral rose scent?

Taste is light maple/spicey/pine hops with a good malt balance. Hop bitterness lingers but isn't overwhelming. More complex in flavor than I thought it would be. Has some flavors in there that I'm having a hard time coming up with a description for.

Mouthfeel is chewy and medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Good beer that I look forward to trying again when it first comes out for the season.

SirDrinxAlot, Apr 30, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle bought from Austin Liquors in Worcester, MA

A - Slightly hazy deep golden honey color. poured a 1-finger head dissipating into a medium lacing.

S - Hops hops hops - Beautiful and citrus in the front leading to more pine at the end.

T - Very smooth malt profile with the bitter of the hops present only at the end with a rather clean finish and a relatively low alcohol presence for a 7.5%.

M - Rich body and nice malt chewyness to complement the hop aroma and flavor

D - Good drinkability, but not for the hop head searching for a bitter sting, rather a bit more subtle in its hop presentation. An interesting brew indeed.

Baron, Apr 29, 2009