Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pumpkin-orange with persistent off-white head.

Dank aromas, grassy, floral, w/ yeasty bread, butterscotch, lemon, ginger.

A tease of sweetness quickly turns to a rich, flavorful bitterness across the palate. Pine forest flavors atop some fruit, nicely balanced by bready notes.

Light, lively, and refreshing, yet great depth of flavor. Good carbonation.

I would gladly make a night out of a few of these.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Dark Orange Copper with minimal lacing. Poured with a moderate one-finger head that dissipated quickly.
Smell: Soft floral hop notes a hint of orange peel. Smell is very faint.
Taste: Sharp bitterness on the sides of the mouth. Finishes with a quick burst of piney bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Tastes linger slightly but aren't offensive.
Drinkability: Great drinkability. If it wasn't for the higher ABV I could drink this one all night. Would pair well with a sharp cheddar or a good burger.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Amber huh? Not sure you can classify as that. But it's an opaque, light orange with a thin head.
S - Very hoppy. Similar to a Pliny.
T/M - Great double IPA taste. You're not going to get that skunky hop taste hear. Very smooth
D - Not as syrup-like as some dipa's. But I would call it a high abv for a regular IPA.

I poured this high hopped beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was orange colored and had a tan head that went away very fast. It did however have good lacing qualities. The smell was very hoppy also as was the taste. It was like drinking a Christmas tree. I will not buy again. too hoppy.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Such a beautiful looking and smelling beer. Lots of reviews here so I'll keep it short. Tons of hops but enough malt to semi balance things out, this beer is fine for a hophead like me or someone who appreciates better balance. This is my favorite offering from Troegs and I buy a lot each year, part of me wishes this was year round but I like the fact that its a bit of a special treat.

** Edit 12/29/10**

I just had my first NN of 2010. I will say I still think it is a well crafted beer, but this year there seems to be a much more pronounced hop-forward flavor. There doesn't seem to be quite the layer of complexity without the sweet-savory malt content. It is still a great beer, but there is a noticeable difference IMO.

There isn't much more to say about this beer that has not already stated.

I will add that as a person who generally does not drink overly hoppy beers - despite the level of hops present - this is an amazingly smooth, flavorful and rich drinking experience.

The molasses like malt flavor balances out the hops to create a blend that - while not my usual style of beer - I can only describe as near perfect. The tangerine-grape fruit flavors ride on the sweetness like carefully implemented spice in lieu of a dominating flavor.

I have had this with both spiced foods such as Gumbo and Curry to dessert and it has not yet failed.

There are nearly no other beers that I have tried that I believe meet this variety of balanced variety in terms of the types of flavors evoked in every sip.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a reddish amber into an American pint glass, with two fingers of bright white head, and fantastic lacing. The smell..wow...pink grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, caramel, maltiness, and bitterness. Sounds like standard fare for some ipa's/ambers/etc, but the combination had my mouth watering. The taste initially hits you with all of the aforementioned citrus, then blends beautifully mid-palate with the malt and caramel flavor, and then finally climaxes at a bitter dry finish that leaves you thirsting for your next sip. Decently carbonated and a thicker body (almost syrupy) than expected, but it blends surprisingly well with the flavor profile so you don't even notice. So much so that you can probably slug back a bunch of these...of course before the alcohol hits you.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

a: pours a nice transparent brown/gold color with atleast a full inch of head that dissapears slowly leaving a fully intact layer of sticky lacing over the top of the beer
s: caramel malts behind grapefruit, piny hop bitterness. very balanced
t: caramel malts transistion into citrusy and piny hop bitterness
m: medium bodied beer with good carbonation

overall, wow this is one of the better beers i have had

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

-good head and lacing. dark gold, could be more ambery

-hops at first then lots of apricot. some subtle maltiness

-well balanced. sweetness into a little bitterness. touch of fruit. tastes like grade A juice

-easy bite at first and then very smooth

-very drinkable. tastes like a good juice, but not really fruity. very natural. could be a good summer session beer. very good for an amber

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Been looking forward to this for quite some time. Though I tend not to care for amber ales I have enjoyed most of what I've had from Troegs.
Pours pretty enough; expected, bright red/amber colors with a well developed head and lacing. Scents are punchy and hoppy though maybe not quite as hoppy as I was anticipating given reviews.
Flavors- I still taste some of the flavors I tend not to like in amber ales but the volume on the attributes I find pleasing is turned up high enough that I can ignore them for the most part. Both tea and hops bitterness is present. A flash here and there of a stale malt flavor that I associate with amber ales but the malts are mostly smooth, accented by the hop flavors.
While I would prefer a double IPA over this most of the time I do have to chime in with a recommendation for this beer. Solid stuff.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Brilliant with amber and gold, creamy two fingers of an off white head caps this beautiful ale. Sticky webs of lacing with lines showing the levels where the beer once rested before each sip.

S: Citrus both sweet and tart upfront, and pine mixed with slight grain.

T: Hops! The whole tongue gets a treat from sweet, bitter and hint of funky hops. This finish is so smooth you almost forget the taste and dive in for another quaff. This beer is balanced for the IBUs and ABV! Make no mistake this is a hop bomb drink it fresh.

M: I am a little let down that this one doesn't come off a bit thicker. Amber Ales to me should have a bit more body. The thinner brew does help the hops pop, but doesn't help me from drinking this bad boy oh too fast.

D: I don't know how to say this... My desert island brew! She warms my belly but I can drink it in the heat. If ever a brew deserved to make it to bombers this is it. Be careful the 7.5% ABV is well hidden and could lead to happiness very quickly.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz, I picked this up in mid-fall so I don't know when it was from. Hate to say where I got it incase they ever get more...

A - not a lot of foam, but what is there laces nicely. color is a typical amber.

S - pretty good. this one has a strong hop aroma, maybe cascade and hallertau? to me this was the most pleasing aspect of the beer. hopefully it translates to the flavor...

T - ...not entirely. still, the taste is very good and I do get some of the bitterness, but I suppose what is there may have mellowed over time.

M - excellent. smooth carbonation and viscosity.

D - high. the taste and aroma are so good, coupled with the palatable thickness and ABV. Recommended, but you'll probably not want to wait like I did and get to it fast!

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought in November from the early Jan or Feb batch.

A-cloudy deep orangish copper color with a nice two fingers of head that leaves a decent lacing on the glass

S-light floral hop aroma with a hint of citrus

T-sweet taste of citrus and some pine, slightly bitter hops, balanced nicely with a sweet caramel malt. Hops are most prevalent but nicely balanced

M-smooth and slightly creamy with a syrupy like texture, some carbonation (would probably be amazing on cask!)

D-so drinkable, so smooth and tasty

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a big 22 ounce bomber into a shaker pint glass.

One to two finger head. Foamy and frothy. Cloudy amber color in the glass.

Sweet smell of flowers. Also a strong smell of piney hops.

Taste was hearty and hoppy. Mouthfeel was sharp and some bitterness. Not overly carbonated.

Drinkability was solid but at 7.5% ABV moderation is recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Got this bottle in a trade with jstassi. Thanks Joey!

Poured into a pint glass, this is a hazy red amber color with a nice light tan head with great retention. Leaves a lot of lacing all over the glass, leaving rings where the former levels of the beer was.

The nose is much more malty than I would have imagined. Granted, this probably isn't a fresh bottle, so I'll adjust my review accordingly. Fruity and juicy malts come out with great complexity. There is a very light fruity bitterness that also melds well with the malty fruitiness. Pretty good stuff considering the freshness factor.

While the nose is considerably more hoppy than malty, I was a little surprised to find that the taste was much more malty than hoppy. Again, complex malty fruitiness comes out and blends nicely with a subtle hoppy bitterness. Again, pretty good considering the freshness of the bottle. Leaves a nice lingering bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a slow laboring carbonation and a feathery mouthfeel. Definitely enjoying this one. Drinkability is good too. For being slightly higher than normal in the ABV department, this is a very easy drinking and enjoyable brew.

I haven't been disappointed with Troegs yet, and I'm beginning to think I never will be. They may not be the best brewery in the world, but they are putting out some very solid all around brews.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks Tanger!

Pours a nice copper... a bit lighter looking than I was expecting, but the aroma is evident immediately. Tons of floral hops and citrus. Big grapefruit. Perfumey... a touch of lavender. Very sweet smelling and inviting. Easily one of the best aromas in a beer I've reviewed.

Mouthfeel is smooth... a touch watery, but quite good.

A nice balance of malt with the hoppiness. Bitterness is evident and in the forefront, but not overwhelming.

A tad high in ABV for a session beer, but very drinkable... this ones going a bit too quick!

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a beautiful amber with some froth, nose is all hops and fruit punch. Taste is more of the same, with pine and citrus flavors dominating with a good bitterness that is not overpowering, balanced by some sugar cookie malts. The mouthfeel is unbelievable, so smooth! Bonus points for one of the best bottle designs ever.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle from the summer release (dated 7/31/09) received in trade with Tanger. Thanks. Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear pale amber with a dense 1 1/2 finger creamy white head that lingers and lingers.

S - Strong citrusy grapefruity aroma mixed with fresh pine, some mango and pineapple too. All hops in the aroma here.

T - Pine and grapefruit up front. Good amount of hop bitterness, some mild sugary sweetness, tropical fruits (can't identify), some light caramel notes and a touch of breadiness.

M - Light to medium body. Good carbonation - plenty of tingle...nice lingering bitterness. Very smooth, finishes on the just a touch on the dry side.

D - Extremely drinkable beer. Tons of hop flavor, nice bitterness level, just enough malt backbone to balance things out. Really good beer. This bottle is a couple of months old, but still tastes amazing.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The ale pours a brilliant orange-ish color. It is clear with no visible sediment. The ale poured with little head although it does appear to be adequately carbonated.

The ale has a very fresh, citrusy hop smell. The added hops impart a fragrant aroma on the beer. The mix of hops give this ale an almost sweet taste. After the sweetness, the hops give a citrusy flavor that is not as overpowering as the stronger DIPA cousin. The ale sits so well on the palate that one does not realize the hop presence. A truly excellent beer.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Had this from the Hand Pump at Ortino's north Side. My friends always rave about Nugget Necatar , but I don't think I had it before. Anyway, it was on hand pump, so we made a night out of it.

Pured an orange/amber with thick 2 inch head - unusual for cask. Head was very sticky and left heavy lacing.

Smell was of pine, soap and citrus, Taste was divine.

This is where the cask comes in, because the mouthfeel and taste were intertwined. this was hands down the smoothest over-hopped amber I have ever had. Not too carbonated, not flat, but more of like a deliciously hopped amber ale wrapped in velvet and delivered to the tongue. I'd probably drink this all the time if always available.

Highly drinkable. Delicious. Hard to beat. I'd take it over a two-hearted any day, that is saying something.

Note to self: need handpump at home.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

The bottled date is indecipherable on this one, and though I know it's not super fresh, I've got it on good authority that it's still tasting great.

Pours a dirty copper with just a touch of cloudiness. A nice one finger, off white head subsides rather quickly leaving a standing crown on top of the beer.

Smells eatery, almost of light, sweet stone fruit and a hint of citrus. This beer smells awesome!

Taste is not at all what I expected from the nose. Mild malts up front quickly followed by some piney hops and it's quite bready throughout. This beer really is a treat!

Mouth is medium with light carbonation. For as bready as this beer drinks, it's also surprisingly crisp.

Overall drinks really well. It's refreshing enough to drink buckets of. Awesome brew and a huge thanks to beandip for sending this one my way!

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Zeno's cask fest in State College, poured into a pint glass...

A- Beautiful amber color with a nice 2 finger white head.

S- Smells of citrusy, piney hops...delicious.

T- Tastes much like the smell with huge amounts of hop coming through, but a non-bitter mellow flavor from the cask aging.

M- Probably the weakest part of the beer, but still very good.

D- Exceptional. I could drink this all night.

Instantly became one of my favorite beers.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz. bomber, courtesy of BA r0nyn.

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a ridiculous hazy and dark red-orange color that hardly allows any light to pass through and forms an thick off-white head of fine bubbles that sizes up to about one finger. Lacing is incredible. From top to bottom, lots of stringy spider webs are forming on the inner linings of my glass. First time I've seen such lacing from an amber ale. Very, very impressive. Upon cracking open the bottle, I immediately smelled SNPA, one of my all-time faves. It must have been the sudden odor of hops and citrus emerging from the bottle. Once that happened, I already knew this was going to be a tasty ale. There's a good earthy quality to the floral backbone of this aroma. Piney and resiny hops, fresh grapefruit and subtle malt are predominant on the nose. This scent is too potently good to let go of.

Taste definitely meets up to expectations. Perfect balance of hops and malt. Flavor profile begins with a slight floral hop bitterness up front, which leads into malt sweetness and ends on a fresh citrus note and subtle hop bitterness that lingers for a couple of seconds then dissipates in the mouth. Excellent the whole way through. It has a medium-bodied mouthfeel with very little palpable carbonation on the tongue. Not as crisp and dry as a pale ale in the aftertaste. It goes down very smoothly and easily. Drinkability is off the charts. 6/5 for sure. Usually, I like to take my time in tasting my brews, but this was too enticingly good to let sit. For some reason, this really made me think it was SNPA. Good to know that there's another sessionable ale worth having.

Kudos to Troëgs for such a fantastic beer.

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle that is apparently not terribly fresh. Pours a very cloudy gold-orange with a disappointingly small white, bubbly head. Very strong "C" hop aroma, with light citrus, pine, and some otherwise tea-like notes. Biscuity malt in the taste, backed up by loads of fruity, bittering hops. Actually, the bittering is a bit too strong. No real yeast character, unfortunately. Full bodied, but slightly syrupy. Overall, not something that I would want to put down pint-after-pint.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Dark orange/amber color with awesome bright white head. Nice full head from bottle pour. Great lacing throughout.

S- Excellent floral, pine, citrus hops, but is has a very good floral foundation.

T- Floral and citrus hops are neck and neck, floral wins. The malt backbone is very good.

M- The mouth feel of this beer is excellent, Big and creamy smooth with good coating and hop slickness.

D- This is awesome beer, only coming out on February, I was excited about the limited run this past month. Was able to pick up two 22 oz. bottles in PA. Excellent beer, smooth with a great finish.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company