Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
SQNfan

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

This poured a light copper in color with a medium fluffy head of fine white bubbles. Aromas were of herbs followed by citrus and finishing with a bunch of sweet caramel. In the mouth it is meidum-bodied and well-balanced with balancing malt in the midpalate which fades toward hops in the dry and bitter finish.

06-26-2008 23:33:04 | More by SQNfan
Timmush

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Finally....
Finally I got my hands on some of this. I had the opportunity to buy some at OAK TREE months ago and passed, I have regretted that ever since. Luckily I had a friend on the lookout for it and he picked it up at a bar. I got 2 six's of it and want more.
This tastes like a Pale Ale / medium bodied, with an orange color. There is a mix of of hops, and citrus, and floral overtones. Most prevelant is the HOPS and the grapefruit taste. To me it is a cross between Sierra Nevade Pale Ale and Hop Devil. Very Good.

06-24-2008 22:49:57 | More by Timmush
Med

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a lovely crystal clear deep amber with a nice two finger creamy off white head that never completely goes away and leaves nice lacing. Hops are very much at the forefront. Lots of citrus and a fair amount of floral notes. No perceivable alcohol but some of the sweet malt comes through (but just a bit). Taste follows the aroma with plenty of hops, but this really is an imperial amber, not an IPA, and the malts come through bold and slightly sweet. Finish is just bitter enough and stays right on the tongue. Mouth is medium creamy and has very pleasant carbonation. I love this beer. I'm glad they don't make it year 'round because I might not buy much else. I can't wait until next year!

06-24-2008 00:21:40 | More by Med
punkindrublic50

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Speaking as someone who doesn't normally care for hoppy beers Nugget Nectar is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it to beer drinkers everywhere. Tastes pretty much like what the picture on the bottle shows - like someone managed to squeeze all of the oily essence out of some hops and bottle it up. Somehow not overpowering while maintaining its intensity, a hint of citrus from the hops used and a creamy texture add up to a brew I cant wait to have more of in the future!

06-18-2008 21:09:30 | More by punkindrublic50
johannasclimacus

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

I finally tried my one bottle of Nugget Nectar that I have been saving from a mix-six pack that I split with a friend. I was worried that between how hyped I was from reading about Nugget Nectar online and how long I had been waiting to try my one bottle that I would expect too much and be disappointed.

Well, I was wrong. This is truly an exceptional beer. The look is a pretty amber with an orange tint, and the taste is what really impresses me (as it should!). Troegs has done a wonderful job of working the hops into a very strong taste presence but yet avoiding the overpowering taste of hops that goes with other examples of the style. I also picked up a good bit of citrusy smells and tastes.

The drinkability of this is insanely high for a 7.5 beer. If I am lucky enough to get more soon, it will be something I have to watch out for, as I can see myself easily putting down several of these in a row. My only regret is that it was the only bottle of this that I had.

06-18-2008 15:45:31 | More by johannasclimacus
tdrshayden

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Deep Orange, puffy white head that clings to the glass. Faint malty aroma but with a ton of citrusy hops. Creamy, almost delicate hop flavor, while still being very hoppy and bitter. Good malt backing, mild spiciness on the finish lasting well into the aftertaste. Medium bodied, awesome beer!

06-16-2008 19:18:35 | More by tdrshayden
corey0212

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to yaddy44 for this!

Pours a slightly hazed amber/orange color, minimal head and lacing. Smell is an amazing bouquet (yeah, I just said bouquet) of citrusy hops. Taste is just brilliantly hoppy, crazy juicy citrus notes, some great bitterness on the back end. Good mouthfeel, really pretty refreshing and crisp. This is my second bottle of this...I've got one left, and I'll be actively searching out more. If this was available locally, I'd have it in my fridge all the time. One of the more enjoyable beers I've had.

06-14-2008 01:28:08 | More by corey0212
Scrumtralecent

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a pint glass a very dark amber/orange. Quite clear with a soft white head that left some lacing along the glass as it disappeared. I really enjoy the look of this, seems like a very refreshing beer just from sight.

S: I feel like a mixture of grains and hops come pouring out of this smell with very little to stand up to it. Very profound nose to this and gives this beer alot of character along with the appearance.

T: The taste does not disappoint. The bitter hops hit first and smooth out with the maltier side. Very wonderful combo of red ale meets imperial ipa. Brings that hoppy attitude you find at the beginning of iipa's, but then smooths it out into a refreshing red ale in the end.

F: Feel is medium with the carbonation playing the biggest part in the feel. The carbonation will dance on the tongue for as long as you let it, giving the hops some more bite if you so desire. Goes down very smooth. Overall, a good feel.

D: This beer is one I could have multiples of, especially on a day like today after work. Right from the pour it looks refreshing and the taste will not only refresh, but also keep you interested. I would seek this beer out again.

06-11-2008 23:34:16 | More by Scrumtralecent
Matty1918

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this sample.

Pours a nice golden amber color with a nice white head that diminishes too quickly.

Nice aroma of citrus and mild spice.

A great tasting first sip. Mild spice up front with a nice bitter hop bite...grapefruit is there. A light buttery taste is there towards the end and then finshes with the hops at the end.

Great drinking ale....wish I could get more.

06-10-2008 21:31:19 | More by Matty1918
nrbw23

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a nice clear amber copper color with a white head that had decent retention and left some nice spotty lacing.

S- Nice piney hop smell to this one also could pick up some sweet malts and some floral earthy notes as well. Smells very nice.

T- Nice very nice some citrus from grapefruit to piney hops, also some caramel malts. Overall this is wonderful brew and well balanced. Taste pretty close to an IPA but just a little different a lot of hops.

M- Light to medium in body probably closer to medium. Good carbonation.

D- Incredible. Very nice I wish I could pick these up in Ohio.

06-10-2008 08:38:51 | More by nrbw23
gunnerman

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Recieved from Ron at Vintage Estate in Youngstown Oh, on my last vist there. Poured this awesome beer into a pint glass. Poures a amber color with a serious fluffy foamy pink head that leaves some nice thick fat lace on the glass. Smell is very piny and earthy with hints of summer breeze, herbal flowers. Taste is right on cue with a hoppy fluffy bitterness, sweet honey like taste with a mouth watering finish, the resin stayed for a while on my tongue. This was my first offering from Troegs and what an amazing product this is one the finest crafted brews I have had in a while.

06-09-2008 22:19:46 | More by gunnerman
Murchmac

Thanks Beertruth, truth is beer.

This beer has probably lost a lot of its charm, but its still fantastic.

Pours a cloudy reddish/orange, has the look of DAA (Double American Amber)

Cant smell much on this beer right now. Thats probably a casulty of it being old. It has hints of sweet malt and citrusy hops.

This beer tastes amazing, it probably has lost a little of its bite. But again, sweet malt, nice hop count. Bitter, stinging Orangey, very good. I bet this fresh is amazing.

Lingering sweet aftertaste.

Great beer, good times. Get this one fresh, it's still good now though. Kinda like Curt Schilling.

06-09-2008 04:16:36 | More by Murchmac
BamaBeerBuff

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

A: An orange-copper with a thick, creamy orange tinted head that retains nicely and leaves some thick lacing on the glass. Very impressive appearance.

S: Rich grapefruit hop aroma with notes of floral and herbal hops, as well. Believe it or not, some caramel malts are present, as well.

T&M: Rich floral, herbal hop aromas complemented nicely by some citrusy grapefruit flavors. A nice underlying smooth maltiness allows the hops to shine through whilst still maintaining a semblance of balance. Body is medium with a decent carbonation that works well. The finish is somewhat sticky and pleasant.

D: Despite the higher ABV, I'm giving this a 5. Nugget Nectar is a hop bomb, but I sucked this one down in under 5 minutes. It's just so delicious and not overpoweringly bitter that nothing under a 5 would suffice for a drinkability score.

06-09-2008 01:54:42 | More by BamaBeerBuff
theghost3

Louisiana

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

The Nugget Nectar has an orangy copper appearance with a very light orange head. Lots of lacing. It smells of abundant hops and citrus. The taste is bittersweet; hints of orange & lemon. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly chewy. This is a very drinkable beer. It's complicated, and tastes similar to a pale ale.

06-07-2008 03:16:20 | More by theghost3
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Got in a trade from vwcraig, thanks man.

A- Nice golden copper color, with a good amount of lacing on the bottle.

S- Very grapefruity in smell. The fragrant of the hops is mouthwatering.

T- The hop flavor is very tasty and the citrus taste is nice and balanced, not too overpowering. A good aftertaste with a nice almost maltyness. A great IPA...err...I mean American Amber.

M/D- Excellent balance between carbination and smooth drink ability.

06-06-2008 02:57:18 | More by Wetpaperbag
jordoo

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz bottle poored into pilsner glass

Very nice amber/orangish color with great 2 fingered tight puffy head. Wonderfull lacing throughout.

Smells very hoppy on the citus side. Orange/pineapple and slightly piney. Also some sweet malty tones. Tastes like grapefruit and citrus juice with some sweet malty ballance throughout and a bitter finish in a good way.
Medium body with a pleasant tangy twing on the palet. Surpringly drinkable for being the hop heathan that it is.

Overall one of my favorites to date.

06-06-2008 01:02:59 | More by jordoo
Gtreid

4.03/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks go out to Paul 68 for a great extra!
Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy burnt orange with one finger of creamy white head. Very nice retention, great lacing lines the glass.

A: Caramel, pineapple, and orange. Nice citrus and grassy hops. Caramel and sweet malts balance the nose.

T: Again hops dominate, but the malts balance it nicely. Sweet and delicious. Finishes slightly bitter, but in a very good way.

M: Medium body beer, just the right amount of carbonation, excellent.

D: Overall a very good beer. At 7.5% ABV, I could drink this one often. Great selection from Troegs.

06-04-2008 21:33:33 | More by Gtreid
ckeegan04

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Dark orange color with one finger off-white head. Moderate retention and a little light on the lacing.

S - Dominated by a citrusy hop smell but also have hints of piney and floral hops. A hint of a malt backbone to it as well.

T - Light candy sweetness initially that is quickly overcome by a big citrus and tropical fruit taste. Lots of grapefruit, mango, and even a hint of orange. The malts are present with hints of caramel primarily, but the big in your face hoppiness dominates.

M/D - Medium bodied with good carbonation. A great tasting beer that is very drinkable.

06-02-2008 14:36:57 | More by ckeegan04
AmishT

Alabama

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured gingerly from bottle into pint glass

A - Brilliant amber in color. A nice one-finger off-white head...would've been even bigger if I'd poured it more aggressively (this isn't the first nugget nectar I've head, so I've seen how awesome the head can be). Leaves lots of lacing behind. Badass label, to boot.

S - O man, truly hop-head nirvana in the nose. Lots of flowery hops. I think that's enough said here

T&M - Delicious hops start off and endure for as long as it's held in my mouth. Appropriate carbonation level that blends real well with the hops. A real delicious earthy hop after-taste that goads one into taking another sip. Light-medium bodied.

D - So damn tasty. As alluded to earlier, the after-taste really enhances the drinkability. Delicious. K, gonna stop reviewing so I can keep drinking.

06-01-2008 20:44:58 | More by AmishT
MrMonkey

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to sholland119 for hooking me up with this one in our recent trade!

Pours a clear light amber with a one-finger off-white head that fades quickly to a sticky ring and floating cap, and leaves a couple of thick rings at the top of the glass.

Smell is a bit faint, but there is some sweet bready malts, a slight fruitiness, a hint of citrus, and some floral and piny hops.

Taste starts off with some sweet bready malts, a hint of honey, and a toffee sweetness. There's a fruity undertone that I can't quite put my finger on. It finishes with some spicy, earthy floral hops and a hint of citrus.

Crisp, medium-bodied mouthfeel.

Drinkability is pretty good; I really wish this was readily available up here in NH.

06-01-2008 15:19:22 | More by MrMonkey
hopsleeroy

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to the Kempleton as part of the Virgin BIF.

A-More Aamber than copper with a small white head. Looks inviting.
S-Pine, citrus, mild malt underneath, smells really good
T-Same smell with orange and grapefruit mixed in. Great sweet malt/honey like taste that balances great with the hops. Slightly bitter on the end with a great finish.
M-Smooth in the mouth, good carbonation, easy in the mouth while sipping
D-Got more flavor as it warmed. A beer that I want to keep drinking and was smooth enough and flavorful enough to keep drinking all day.

Great beer. One of my new favorites.

05-27-2008 16:11:50 | More by hopsleeroy
travloh

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Poured from bottle to sam adams beer glass/

Orange red color, nice head that wafts up to lip of glass and holds. Pretty clear, ever so slight hazyness.

MMM...this stuff smells good. I can smell the hops. Pine, slight malt, citrus.

oh the taste...complex yet balanced, save for the slight burn of alcohol and it gushes down. I like that, though. Slight grapefruit. Honey and pine aftertones. I cheated and checked some other reviews to try to put a name on this wonderful taste. I think it is clover.

This stuff is ridiculously drinkable. The high alcohol and the astringency will remind you to slow down, but it will be tough!

05-26-2008 23:38:19 | More by travloh
JEdmund

Kansas

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance
Vibrant orange and clear; easy to pour tall head that's frothy and leaves clumps of lace as it settles

Smell
Rich! Piney, fruity, and spicey--all great and working well together to form a complex and pleasing aroma. The five hop varieties used are really showing off here; just a hint of honey

Taste & Mouthfeel
After the first sip I fell in love with this beer. It's everything I like...in an IPA; so as an amber ale, I'm not totally sure how to rate it; but as it is, it's an explosion of complex hoppiness held up with just enough sweet malt; it has a silky texture and a medium body; to be an amber/imperial amber, I'd like some more maltiness

Overall
Nugget Nectar lived up to the hype and then some. There's just not much to fault other than its labeling as an imperial amber. I don't get enough malt to think of it as that; to me, it's an IPA ("93-ish IBUs"...come on!). I'd rank this right next to Celebration Ale it's so good.

05-25-2008 20:21:11 | More by JEdmund
MSchae1017

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Timtheenchanta for this one!

A - transparent amber with a golden hint. White head that holds a nice film the entire time, leaving plenty of lace.

S - sweet caramel malts laced with citrus hops.

T - Far more up front with a wonderful citrusy hop mixture than the smell. Caramel malts comes out more as it warms. Lingering hop presence. Could be an IPA.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation. Appropriate for the style.

D - Very good beer, probably more of an IPA than even HopDevil, IMO, but I like it. I would drink this quite often.

05-23-2008 02:32:16 | More by MSchae1017
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a completely clear amber with a finger of head that lasts as a single layer throughout.
Hops are prominent to say the least in the nose. Pine and citrus are evident, and there is just a bit of malt in the back, but not enough to balance.
Taste is initially honey-sweet pale malt that is quickly balanced and then overwhelmed by the immense hoppiness, both in flavor and bitterness.
Clean and smooth in the mouthfeel, with medium-low carbonation and a bit of thinness giving way to immense astringency from the hop bitterness.
The more of this beer you drink, the more you want. This was my last of the six-pack, so I'm putting it back on my wants... highl;y recommended.

05-23-2008 00:19:09 | More by khiasmus