Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I have to give another thanks to Nate from PA on a trade for this one. This beer definitely lives up to the hype.

Poured it into a Guinness pint glass, color is a light orange, with gold at the bottom and a deep copper in the middle. Beige head sticks around for a while, and fine lacing that I'm sure will be there even when I'm done sipping this beauty. the carbonation keeps rising to the surface like a bubble ballet.

Stuck my nose into this bad boy and smelled pure hops, some pine, and a whole lot of citrus. Much hoppier than I expected from an amber, quite pleased with it, actually.

The taste is like an orange cream popsicle, balanced out with plenty of hops. This beer seems to me like an IPA/amber hybrid, which apparently is a fine combination. Lost of juicy citrus flavors, and a crisp clean finish. I feel like standing up and clapping but there's no one here. I'm sure you all understand.

The mouthfeel was well-balanced, not overly carbonated (surprising because of all the carbonation that just keeps coming and coming. A crisp brew, but with the hard edges smoothed out. This would make an incredible session beer, if it weren't for that fact that I can't get it out here :( Simply fantastic.

raoulduke37, Feb 14, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance - Clear orange/copper hue. Smooth off white head that lasts. Plenty of lace to the end of the glass.

Smell - Lots of hoppy citrus aroma, with pineapple, and pine resin notes in the background.

Taste - Hoppy throughout,very juicey with plenty of citrusy grapefruit. Some hints of pineapple and pear. Held together with a malt backbone that is sweet enough to balance the hops but not assertive. Hops are the featrued ingredient itn this delicious beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, juicey but clean. Hop bitterness, and flavor asserts itself and balances the malt sweetness.

Drinkability - Very drinkable for such a hoppy beer. I always finish wanting another.

McClungbrew2, Feb 14, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

I read all the incredible reviews, heard how difficult it was to find Nugget Nectar, so when I saw one six pack left I thought I had found my holy grail. Now the only thing I was worried about was...would this beer live up to all the hype. Well, I'm happy to report that it did and then some. The main thing that stands out is the incredible smell of citrus. Wow. I almost thought it would be too fruity for me, but it wasn't overwhelming at all. The amount of hops were perfect and the drinkability was incredible. I knocked back three of these in about a half hour before I had to stop. Not only does this taste great, but it's so easy to drink. Highly recommended. Now I just want to find a full case.

RichT73, Feb 14, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Received a single 12 oz. bottle from TurdFurgison in a trade. I was pretty excited to try this one since it's been receiving a ton of attention on the forums lately. The beer pours a bright amber with golden orange highlights. Lots of large fast moving carbonation and an excellent foamy off-white head. Awesome aroma of caramel malts, and a huge presence of pungent, pine, and citrus hops. Nugget Nectar is extremely light bodied with a super-creamy texture and slight slickness. Faint on the caramel sweetness, whatever is in there is completely masked by hop flavor, pungent and spicy. Finishes very bitter with a aspirin spiciness that is a bit unbalanced. I wish there was a little more malt sweetness in flavor like there is in the aroma. I was left with some blue balls from this one, I did not... JIZZ, IN MY PANTS!

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Feb 14, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a transparant amber with a pillowy white head that dissipates quickly with nice lacing. Aroma is filled with dense citric hops. Definitely some orange, nectarine tones. Taste is also filled with citric hops, with a fantastic residual pale malt sweetness. Grapefruit really asserts itself. If I tasted this blind I'd call it an DIPA, because the citric hops are just oh so prominent, but there is definitely a nice light, sweet, malt backdrop that compliments the hops perfectly. Light yet creamy on the palate. Each sip leaves you begging for more. The best, and only Imperial Red I have ever had. A remarkably drinkable beer. Fantastic.

TheDoorman, Feb 14, 2009

Thanks to RoyMunson for this,

WOW!!!

A- Looks like some of the best IPAs out there. Golden amber in color with a small white haed that hangs around for a while.

S- Pliny?? I know the is some debate to this but this is as close as you get to the smell of Pliny. Hops and more hops wonderful array of hop aroma.

T- Outstanding, is this a DIPA because it tastes like one!! Just a delicate hop assault that before this only Pliny could deliver in such a smooth and refined way.

M- Thin, this could have a little more malty balance and thickness but still good.

D- Dangerous, i will keep my wife away from this.. Very easy to drink!!

I am very impressed with this offering as I have seen the NN/Pliny debate and though close, Pliny still wins the war. But this is the closest brew i have ever had to it right there with Port Hop Suey. OUTSTANDING!!!

JWD, Feb 14, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my imperial pint. Beer looks nice and rich right from the pour. A golden copper color with small off white head, lots of bubbles and some decent lacing.

Smell is extremely nice. Pungent citrus hop resin and biscuit malt. Very sweet and fresh.

Taste is an almost dry, smooth malt that just explodes into a great hop character, same as the nose.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, slick, almost oily with a nice light carbonation to balance.

A good drinkable "imperial amber." I like this out of the big bottle much more than the 12 oz sixer i picked up 2 weeks ago. Its like their Hop Back Amber on steroids and not as crisp and carbonated. Great beer definitely lived up to the hype.

PoolhouseRebel, Feb 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into my Lucky Lab imperial pint glass. The beer is effervescent amber with a huge frothy head. The retention is great and the lacing is ample.

The aroma is pretty potent. Sweet caramel malt with floral hops and some pine. The beer smells quite sweet. The flavor is complex and hoppy, with a pretty decent toasted malt backbone to accompany the hops. Bitterness is medium-high and is citrusy. The finish is bitter with some sweetness. The alcohol is most noticeable near the end. The beer is medium bodied with good carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel.

I know there is some debate on the issue, but I must say that this doesn't taste like an IPA...and it shouldn't. The label clearly reads Imperial Amber, and that's what it tastes like to me. A great beer.

HopHead84, Feb 13, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to Traquairlover for this bottle.

Poured into a pint glass at 43 degrees.

Appearance: An coppery orange color with a quarter inch white head. The head has no retention to it. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear and brilliant.

Nose: A rich citrus, pine, malt, and a hint of caramel sweetness in the beer.

Taste: A heavy rich orange, pine and malt characters. There is a caramel like sweetness.

Overall: The beer is nicely balanced between the rich malt and the bitter hops. The beer doesn't have much in the nose or the taste, but what it doesn't have it makes up for the quality of ingredients. The mouth feel is full body and carbonated. The finish is medium bitterness and linger for a bit. The beer is very well made and is really good. The only thing I have against this beer, is the head doesn't have a very good retention.

colts9016, Feb 13, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Deep amber hue with a two finger head that stuck around for a minute or two. Magnificent lacing. A sweet hop smell right out of the gate. Smells of mango and cat urine come together and make a very unique boutique. Gulp. Crazy hop on the palate, the sticky nature of the beer along with the sweetness make for some beer. The gulp factor is extremely high which is seldom in most imperials that I've drank in the past. If you like hops and hoppy red ales this should be your beer of choice. This is my favorite red ale (too bad its a seasonal, stock pile is a must), the Troegs brothers should be proud to have this one locked in the recipe book. Very Recommended.

BuffaloTapHugger, Feb 12, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

FIRST REVIEW 11-08-2008
=== === === === ===
Thanks to Kadonny for this 12oz bottle.

Slightly cloudy, amber colored beer. Clean malty, sweet smell. The smell makes me ache to taste it. I smell light hops.

Finally... the taste is amazing. Wow, this is definitely an imperial amber. I haven't had many Imperial Ambers, but this one definitely anchors itself as the top of the category. The mouthfeel is perfect.

Drinkability... well, I could have two and that's about it. I'd have to move onto something a little less sweet. However, those two will be a memorable experience.

UPDATED 02-11-2009
=== === === === ===

First off, thank you sholland119 for trading me a 12-pack of this fresh brew. Served in a New Belgium goblet at 50°F.

My previous review above was done from a bottle that was around 11 months old by my best guess. This review was done with a bottle a month or less old.

I have updated the scoring to reflect this fresh bottle. The old review as scored as follows:
OLD: 4.5, 4.5, 5.0, 4.5, 3.5
NEW: 4.5, 4.5, 5.0, 4.5, 5.0

I'm a little surprised by my new drinkability rating, but it seems that I complained of sweetness in the older bottle. Interesting.

APPEARANCE- 4.5
Crystal clear. Copper with a little amber... maybe even pink tint. Poured a nice 1/2" white head that dissipated in about 30 seconds to nice frothy traces of head. Lacing from the head is coating the side of the glass. A slight swirl still leaves some of the lacing.

SMELL - 4.5
Wow! I smell a DIPA. Reminds me of what I'd expect Dogfish Head's 90 Minute DIPA to smell like. A swirl and second smell brought out more of the malt sweetness. There's the imperial red! The smell is right up there with Green Flash's West Coast IPA and their Imperial IPA along with Russian River's Pliny the Elder.

TASTE - 5
First taste was unexpectedly mild. Quickly went for the second sip... aerated.... delicious. I take it this is a hopped up imperial red (duh). Recently, I've become a fan of imperial reds and this seems to be done perfectly for a hophead like me. The overall smoothness reminds me a little of an aged DIPA (2+ years). I'm going to be giving this a 5 as I'm biased toward DIPA's and Imperial Reds/Ambers.

MOUTHFEEL- 4.5
As I said before, this is amazingly smooth. This could also be part of serving it at a starting temp of 50°F. I feel the carbonation on the tongue just a little. The subtle malty sweetness seems to coat my tongue on each sip that I swish in my mouth.

DRINKABILITY- 5
Through the roof. Drank 2/3 of a 12oz bottle while getting to this point in the review. This is no session beer, but I could easily get caught drinking 3 of these. To me, the flavor seems bigger than its 7.5% ABV. I may have to trade for a fresh 12-pack of this every year.

I've never tasted anything quite like this. I recommend seeking it out if you have not tasted it.

Now, how do I make 12 of these last the entire year... while sharing such a great brew with family and friends...

dqderrick, Feb 12, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Deep orange, patches of foam over the surface of the beer, crystal clear - 4.25, S: I caught wafts of this beer from a few feet away, highly hopped, boatloads of pine, wow - though I realize it is not the only hop used I guess I really like Nugget hops cause this is one exceptional aroma - 4.75, T: Ambers are better known for their malts but this one is all about the hops, lots of resiny pine, borderlines on being a little too bitter almost harsh but somehow manages to skirt the over-the-top label, some malt but that really plays second fiddle to the hops - 4.25, M: Some nice lingering on the tongue - 4.00, D: This is one beer I have learned to look forward to each year, the imperial amber label seems slighly out of place given the primary role of the hops but I get the gist of the direction that Troegs is taking, this is a beer to which I see myself continually returning - 4.50

deereless, Feb 12, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle into Sam Adams Lager glass.

Pours a clear, vividly effervescent copper with a creamy, fairly thick off-white lingering cap.

Nose is vividly floral and full of citrus - notes of grapefruit and orange mix with a fresh floral bouqet that's sweet, delicate, and stunningly fresh.

Taste starts off with a nice, dry biscuity malt note, a bit toasty, with a gorgeous burst of sweet, clear citrus mixed with a beautiful herbal hop note as well. Finish is dry, lingering moderate bitterness, with the dry, biscuity malt note coming back out for the exhale.

Carbonation is light, mouthfeel is medium bodied, bit oily, slick. Utterly fantastic beers with no real flaws.

Huge drinkability, massive flavor, one of the best noses I've ever experienced, and lays the hop flavors out so clearly and beautifully they may as well be on an altar.

JohnQVegas, Feb 11, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE....

Appearance- Slightly red orange tinted brown with lots of bubbles streaming up to the whit foam head of medium thickness,

Smells- Lots of hops in the nose, but a good unique sweet smell too of maybe citrus and slight sweet malts mixed in over the heavy hop

Taste- A delicious beer with tons of Hops as it lists it self at near 93 ibus, but its deliciously blended with enough sweetness balancing out the bitter hops in the middle, but lingering is a long lasting hop finish that just resin ants beautifully in your mouth

Mouthfeel- Smooth, soft, and creamy a nice mouth feel for sure

Drinkability- INCREDIBLE, the perfect brew with enormous hops and enormous flavor and a perfectly blended big beer at 7.2 percent that leaves you wanting more and more and more, I wish i got more than a sixer that a split with a friend, this is one i count the minutes to having again, great beer

Stunner97, Feb 11, 2009

Bottled 010509. Nice orange-red color with a bright white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is very much an IPA- lots of citrusy hops are present. Taste is rather pleasing- a good level of carbonation that accompanies a caramel malt backbone that is quickly overwhelmed by the hops. Finishes okay. I don't know if this lives up to the hype, but it's certainly a good brew. If it were available to me, I'd probably buy it.

SuperWhite92, Feb 11, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Man, i LOVE this beer!
Pours an orange amber with a thin lacey head.

Huge floral hops smell.
Suprisingly the taste of floral isn't as overwhelming as the aroma suggests.
The flavors are actually quite complex and delicious. Verygood mouth feel and finishes smoothly.
This is one excellent brew from Troegs. 7.5% is a bit high for a session beer but it is easy to drink and goes down easily.

BigMike, Feb 11, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Sexy pour, beautiful auburn with light visible co2 and a satin-lacey head.

Smells like spiked fruit punch.

Tastes of perfectly balanced hops with a malty undertone, fruit disappears completely.

Great mouthfeel, it coats and leaves a touch of medicinal dryness in the mid-palate.

Oh so very drinkable.

YesFest, Feb 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Beautiful clear amber with small head. Smells purely of hops. Tastes mainly of fresh hops with just enough malt to support the hop flavor. Troegs did a really nice job with this blend of hops. The flavors meld beautifully with each other and with the malt. I can detect a faint caramel taste, but only if I really concentrate on it.

The beer is a bit too bitter for me to use it as a session beer, but it is really enjoyable on a brisk day or with the right meal.

joerodiii, Feb 10, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a beautiful clear light orangeish color with a medium head that fades to a thin covering quickly.
Smell was very balanced and not overly hoppy or malty.
Taste was exceptional. It's truly a perfectly balanced beer. Hops and the malt compliment each other where neither are stealing the show. This is a perfectly carbonated medium bodied beer.
Drinkability is as high as it gets. I was anticipating to be let down after all the hype surrounding this beer. No let down here, I am actually surprised at how it is better than expected. One of my all time favorite beers now.

cpn920, Feb 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Another great hop fix. Nectar is an appropriate name for this I2PA.

Appearance: Amber / Red with 3mm of head on the poor and nice lacing throughout. The carbonation was evident as small bubbles were rising up.

Smell: Hoppy - grapefruit, pine and perhaps some sugar. A nice, but not overly sweet aroma.

Taste: Whether you call it an America Amber / Red Ale or an Imperial IPA, it is nectar from the gods. Delicious and well balanced from start to finish with little to no typical hops bitterness I have come to expect from BIG I2PAs.

Mouth: Light with ever present carbonation to tickle your tongue.

Drinkability: Not much I can say here beside, "can I have another?" Absolute Nectar. I would love to try this on-tap or in cask condition.

"Nectar"

Source, Feb 10, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Bright amber color, semi-clear, one finger thick fluffy white head that lowered slowly, some tiny bubbles rising throughout

S- Light flowery hops, citrus fruit (mostly grapefruit), biscuits, grain husks

T- Apples, grapefruit, herbal, slightly bready, flowery hops, hint of sugar sweetness

M- Light/medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, clean, complex, very flavorful

D- Worth buying again and again

I was very suprised by this beer. It seems that a lot of people had hyped it up so I was hoping that I would not be let down... and I definitely was not let down.

iceball585, Feb 10, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a nice clear bright orange, good head leaving behind great lacing. Smells of bold flowery, fruity hoppy aroma. Lots of tropical fruits, especially pineapple. Amazing resining aroma. Tastes of powerful resiny hops that is quickly countered by a nice full malt profile. Hops are nice and fruity which are perfectly balanced by a wonderful caramal malt backbone. Finishes with amazing balance, not cloyingly sweet like many DIPAs. Great carbonation, beer gets better as it warms.

An absolute amazing beer, my first Troegs and quite an impression. This beer is so quaffable, i could drink so many of these beers. Great balance, not too sweet. I think its the mild hoppy but neutral finish that doesn't turn my palate off like many "Big beers". The best "imperial amber" i've ever had and definitely top 5 in IPAs.

bum732, Feb 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Huge thanks to jac5084 for this extra- you're the man! Pours a golden orange with sizable bright white head that contrasts extremely well. Smell is piney hops, grapefruit, and orange blossoms. Smell is extremely pleasant and really stands out compared to other beers. Hope the taste lives up to the smell... Piney hope up front but not much bitterness quickly fades to grapefuit-orange then a sweet malt. Finally a lingering bitterness comes through. I wondered why this wasn't an ipa and now I understand and totally agree. Very complex taste that goes much further than bitterness although the high alpha hops are def there. Very refreshing in a world innendated with peppery centenials and cascades. Great beer-

jgap, Feb 09, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a nice dark amber with a finger or so of head. The lacing is great with lots of tiny bubbles that make me think of old hawaiian's singing.

S: One of the most complex hop aromas I found yet. Slightly sweet with citrus aromatics and a faint bitterness.

T: Very nice. Grapfruit, with a hint of lemon then a wave of bitter hoppiness, and a bit of malt.

M: Light to medium feel. As mentioned before the carbonation is tiny bubbles that tickle your palate before you get the bitter hoppy finish.

D: It is one of the most drinkable examples of a over hoppy beers that I've had, but while well balanced and tasty, it's just not my cup of tea. I'll drink a few, but hopefully trade away the rest.

Gilgemesh, Feb 08, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a bottle into my delirium goblet...

A: Deep amber hue with a frothy white foamy head.
S: Delicious, hops, hops, and more hops, faintly sweaty....
T: Initially makes your mouth pucker with a rainbow of different hop flavors, sweat, citrus, lemon, pine, then finishes clean and malty.
M: crisp and carbonated. bubbles tickle your tongue.
D: Exceptional. You can't have just one. By far the most drinkable ipa I've had.

CoalCellar, Feb 08, 2009