Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a very Hoppy ale has a great taste and good finish. The apperance is nice and golden has a great light foamy head. Taste is of apricot and a bit fruity with a nice hoppy aftertaste and finish. Smell is of citrus and fuit notes. Overall a good beer i tend to go back to this in the spring time when i want a lighter beer

BringusKilkenney, Mar 17, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle at La Cave Du Vin, Cleveland Heights

poured into a standard pint glass

a: a nice amber/red color. Silky 1/4" head with very nice retention. Lace rings around my glass as I drink

s: nice citrus hop aroma hint of some malt

t: citrus hop dominates, slightly grapefruity. Well balnaced with malts on the finish.

m&d: medium to full bodied, decent carbonation lightens the mouth. Very drinkable brew

UDbeernut, Mar 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

My 100th Review!

A: A nice clear orange with a thin, lacy white head.

S: Strong hop smell that resonates lychee and tropical fruit sweetness. Kind of like the smell of lychee jellies that you buy at an Asian supermarket.

T: Overall bitter hoppiness is very strong throughout. The label tells me that this is a result of the "Trifecta of Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk Hops." The taste imbues notes of grapefruit, white grape /peach juice, and a strange smoky creaminess that hits at the very end.

M: Juicy and refreshing. Active carbonation, but not overwhelming.

D: Good drinkability. Does it deserve to be on the BA Top 100 though? I think probably not. There are a lot of great highly-hopped brews out there, and this one doesn't seem to stick out in any special way over the other brews.

thekanna, Mar 17, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

I almost feel bad that I rated this beer so high, like I was taken advantage of. But it really is that good!

Appearance is perfect in my book. Clear amber/copper color with a two finger off white head that stays. The lacing hangs on forever too.

The smell is grape fruity hops, but not horribly strong. I took time just smelling this beer far more than I have any other.

The hops are totally up front in the taste, but not to the point that they over whelm. The hop profile is grapefruity, but it doesn't taste like a glass of grape fruit juice like some hop bombs. The malt is there, its subdued, but not hidden.

I actually expected, with all the hype, to be let down by Nugget Nectar. I can honestly say this beer is everything its said to be.

Edit: Beer reviewed was my first of NN. After two six packs I am less blown away by the taste. Still a great beer, but I needed to update my review. I took taste from 4.5 to 4. The reason I did so was that the more time I spent with this beer the more I learned that it was a tad one dimensional.

jculler82, Mar 17, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice deep copper color with an off white head that held little retention. Despite little head retention, it left behind generous amount of thin lace. Nose is of big citrusy hop. I also picked up hints of tangerine, sweet malt, and roasted malt. Taste is of citrusy hops - grapefruit, orange, mango, that are blended well in to a bit of caramel malts and a touch of roasted malt. This beer is extremely well blended from start to finish. Mouthfeel is medium body, medium carbonation. This is a very crisp and clean beer and goes down VERY easily! This is definitely a keeper!

Jayli, Mar 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to HogTownHarry for sending this over via biegaman, much appreciated. Poured an amber-orange with minimal head, slight ring, low carbonation. The nose was truly delightful with lively orange marmalade and sweet apricot. Big hops dominate in the mouth with high bitterness and just enough malt on the swallow to provide balance. Wonderful. The label mentions Nugget, Warrier and Tomahawk hops but I know there is more than that in this brew, all of it nicely put together for maximum affect, a friendly assault on the taste buds. Considering just how highly hopped and bitter (93 IBU's) this is, it's remarkably drinkable.

ThatWineGuy, Mar 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled@home

Thanks to ba Traquairlover for including this as a bonus in our trade!

A: Golden copper with huge head and lots of lacing.

S: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Caramel, Pine.

T: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Toffee, Hops, Caramel.

M: Massive attack of hops upfront that is nicely balanced out with a healthy dose of sweet malt. Very very balanced!

I must thank Tröegs for making this lovely beer and making a mediocre saturday night into a really good one. This is hopjuice at its finest.

baggio, Mar 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours to an off-white two finger creamy head. The head disappears after a few minutes. The body has a translucent deep amber color. As you sip this excellent hoppy ale, the lacing residue leaves rings around the glass letting you know where you have been in this wonderful experience.

As you near the glass for your first sip you immediately smell the citrusy hops wafting from the glass. There's some bitterness but not biting or overpowering. It has a good balance and lasting flavor. Troegs has an excellent beer here, it's just too bad that it' is seasonal so most likely will you not be able to find it year round.

Definitely one worth trying again and again.

hoppyhobby, Mar 13, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another bottle courtesy of Corby112.

Pours a light amber into my pilsner glass. Small white head that gradually dissipates, though never fully disappears. A few columns of bubbles rising from the bottom.
Smells very much like a good IPA. Strong scent of hops & pine. Pineapple is present as well.
And it tastes much like an IPA. Hops, little bit of pine, citrus and slight bitterness. Very nice.
Mouth feel is slightly sticky- okay overall.
This is a tasty beer- reminds me a bit of Hopslam- and (unlike Hopslam) I could handle a few of these on any given night. Were it available here in MN, I'd definitely pick up some more.

WilliamD, Mar 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful crisp and clean amber brown mixed with copper color. Poured aggressively into my pint glass, it produces only a half cm of head, but the lacing is phenomenal. It looks absolutely amazing.

The smell is far hoppier than any amber ale that I have ever experienced. I pegged this one as a higher gravity pale ale, even an IPA when I smelled it. When they called it Nugget Nectar, they knew what they were talking about. The incredible bitter and sweet smells of hops waft up from the beer as it sits in front of me. I want to chew the hops as I smell them. There is a strong hop character there, but it isn't too overwhelming. You can tell there is a nice backbone in here.

The taste is phenomenal. It has been a while since I have tried a beer like this. You get all of the hop flavors that you think you will based on the smell, but you don't get nearly the bitterness. I can really feel every bit of the character that these hops contribute. There is a malty presence in the background that mellows the hop bitterness perfectly.

The entire experience was phenomenal. Wow.

NittanyBeerFan, Mar 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a nice golden amber with a big fluffy uneven head. Stellar retention; reduced to about 3/8 of an inch and stayed there until the last drop. Nice patchy lacing.
Hop aroma is insanely citric. Smells like a fresh peeled grapefruit. A touch of pine in there too.
Taste is soft and citrus fruity. Hops are dominant, but not too harsh or biting at all. Pretty smooth and rounded. Malt is a bit thin, could use a little more flavor in that department. There is however a mild sugary sweetness that fights its way through. Long bitter hop finish. The fairly hefty ABV is well blended and barely perceptible.
Feel is nice and smooth. Medium body.
A nicely drinkable choice if I'm in the mood for something hoppy. One of the better hop-heavy beers I've tried without question.

Hoagie1973, Mar 12, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle, dated Dec-ish, 2008.

A: Crystal clear burnt reddish gold. Pours up with a 1/2" cap of tight bubbles. Little glops of lacing on the way down.

S: Pow! Hops! Citrus, pineapple...really invigorating, really.

T/M/D: Starts out nicely slick. Entry of malt sweetness quickly transitions to oily/citrus-rind hops, and ends with a pleasant bitterness. Dry finish. Pleasant weight on the tongue, feels as good as it tastes. Exceptional.

k3n, Mar 12, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a tawny, burnt orange color with an awesome fluffy, white head that's leaves great lace. The smell is such a great mix of hops and malt. It smells like a super malty IPA and tastes like that too. It has a fresh hop bite followed by a rich maltiness that smoothens it out. It's got a great aftertaste. Definitely a great beer bit in my opinion it is a bit overrated. Still effing awesome.

Douglas14, Mar 12, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

22oz brown glass pry-top with no date. Picked this up on my recent trip to Wine Gallery Brookline (MA).

Appearance: A clear, medium brown with hints of red around the edges. The head is mostly white, recedes quickly, but leaves a little lacing.

Nose: Caramel malt, pine nettle, sweet grapefruit, and maybe fig?

Palate: Medium to light carbonation, medium bodied. There's some round caramel malt sweetness up front, but the hop bitterness creeps right in and is prickly on the tongue. It's a little boozy, but in a dry, prickly way, not a sweet way. Flavors are similar to the aromas, with sweet lemon on the midpalate, and very dry on the finish. The finish is dry and long, but focused on the dried leaves and pine needle notes.

Notes: This is a seriously tasty beer for the money. Glad to see it comes in affordable 6 packs. I could definitely see sessioning this for a least part of a night without getting sick of it. I just wonder with how dry the finish is, if it might dry my mouth out too much after two or three? Guess I'll just have to find out sometime!

SFLpunk, Mar 12, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Not the entire contents of the bottle, obviously...

Big, frothy head forms with a hard pour, off-white almost orange tinted. Beer itself is an unusual color... looks almost like a very light pink, maybe. Maybe it's the light in this room, but I'd swear it looks pink...

Smells hoppier than I expected, but with a real sweetness to the hops, as well. I've heard "grapefruit" used to describe hop smells before, maybe I understand now what that means? In any event, definitely some sort of a fruity hop presence in the aroma.

First sip is absolutely delicious. I had to take two more before I could put the beer down to write these thoughts. I thought for sure the use of the word "nectar" was going to be a misnomer, but it really has a delicate sweetness that absolutely merits the name. Looking at the beer in the glass now, it looks less pink but certainly an unusual color, like an ultra-light copper. The odd thing about this beer is that despite the hops, it really doesn't taste bitter to me, just flavorful and well-balanced. And delicious. Just realized, too, that I'm not even getting a hint of alcohol.

Feels about right in the mouth -- slightly heavier in the carbonation than some other beers, but not too much. Good body. I could definitely seeing drinking more than a few of these -- or, I could if they were cheaper or I made more money.

Pleasantly surprised by this beer, will definitely make all my friends try it next time I have some sort of a tasting. I'd recommend this to anyone (well, just about...). This has been my first experience with Tröegs, but it probably won't be the last.

JimmieFrisbee, Mar 11, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Nothing beats beer with lunch on a weekday. Amber color, clear with a floral hoppy nose. Taste is outstanding. Similar to Stone IPA (which is a personal fave) but with better balance, malty sweet. Mouth-wateringly delicious. Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and finishes dry. Drinkability is fantastic and the ABV is hidden quite well.

On tap this is an absolute gem and I finally get what all the rage is about!

dude, Mar 11, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on cask last night at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway event, immediately following HopSlam. Tough act to follow, but I think Nugget Nectar held up quite well. Hazy copper with basically no head. Smelled fantastic. Amazing hop freshness, as with the HopSlam, but this had a little more malt balance. Tasted wonderful. I might enjoy this beer more every time I have it, and drinking it from a cask was definitely an experience. So amazingly fresh, so pure hops, so sweet malt, so well balanced. Not sure if there was a fault in this one. Thick but not too thick, very silky with no carbonation, strong but no noticeable alcohol. This is a perfectly tamed beast. It's the porridge that's just right. Some people might prefer HopSlam for it's more extreme bitterness. But I personally prefer the perfect balance that Nugget Nectar brings.

Pencible, Mar 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9%

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle

A - A translucent reddish orange with a fairly thin head that goes away quickly, leaving only a little bit of foam on top.

S - Very hoppy, almost piney floral aroma. One of the strongest smelling beers I've had. Also slightly sugary/fruity on the nose.

T - The first couple sips almost knocked me over with their hoppy intensity, but continued drinking mellowed the kick into an interesting resiny sweetness. It's pretty much all hops, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

M - Leaves little aftertaste and doesn't finish dry. A very interesting, clean mouthfeel.

D - After the first vicious sips, this one proves to be quite drinkable. But I don't know if I'd want to drink more than one of this one. Just too hoppy for me.

Overall - This could definitely be a repeat drinker for me. I'm decidedly not a hop head, however. Still, this one was definitely worth a taste; now to wait for the opportune time to try my bottle of Hopslam.

DannyS, Mar 11, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Looks like an amber. redish/brown with a nice little white head that dissapates quickly.

S: A mixture of citrus and sticky/piney hops. there is a nice malt backbone.

T: Very balanced. Again the mixture of citrus and piney hops right away. Then they linger to a very tasty sweetness

M: Smooth. Doesn't over coat your tongue like some big hoppy beers can

D: Dangerously drinkable!!!!

madtowndmb1, Mar 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours an impressive copper, with a very thick cream colored head. Good lacing, nice and clear. It's the "prettiest" beer I've ever poured.

S - Huge citrus hop aroma, some pine in the background. Lemon and oranges. Nice caramel and biscuit malts as well.

T - Hard to describe how good this one is. Huge hop profile, but it doesn't hit with the "rip the enamel off your teeth" acidity as other hop bombs. Gives way to a pure orange/lemon flavor. My favorite part of this beer is the perfect transition to the malts, which is like an orange flavored ginger cookie, but isn't overly sweet. This beer lives up to the hype, and more.

M - About as expected, medium body and carbonation.

D - Easily drinkable due to the balance, very nice beer that doesn't weigh down. Tae taste makes you want to drink a twelve pack.

chilly460, Mar 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a Portsmouth Snifter this beer yields the most beautiful amber I have ever seen. A white head sits on top of the glass and leaves a sticky mess around the edges of the glass as an indicator that "NugZ has been here"
Lots of fruit flavors, citrus to begin mostly Grapefruit and Lemon which then leads into some apricot and mango aromas followed by hints of honey.
Hops are very present but so well balanced with malt that I didnt even realize how bitter this beer was until a friend pointed it out. A grapefruit flavor leads the pack followed quickly by a caramel maltyness that complements the initial bitterness perfectly. Alcohol has a slight presence that prevents a perfect 5.
A full body that is perfectly carbonated with a slight syrupy character.
I love this beer. One of my favorites. This is the most impressive beer to grace a six pack that I have ever seen. I just bought a case and when it is gone will lament its loss until next years arrives. This beer is early flawless.

alovesupreme, Mar 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass.
A: Bright orange/amber colored brew with a good 1.5 inches of thick foamy white head that settles slowly and leaves some sticky lacing fingers down the glass. Very enticing.
S: Piney and citrusy hops, plenty strong but with a caramel-sweet malt backbone. Also very enticing! Strong whiffs reveal some deep fruit scents and some light honey.
T: Sweet malts at first, but this leads right into the piney hops. The middle is a bit more leafy/oily, and the finish brings everything together in a harmonious hop/malt extravaganza. This beer manages to blend a bunch of flavors without overdoing any of them.
M: Malty, hoppy, malty, hoppy. Almost too sweet at times, but the bitter hop nip is quite nice.
D: Very good. Tasty and satisfying and really no hint of the 7.5% ABV.

LeftyBWS, Mar 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Given to me from a friend and the owner of Beverages 4 less in Santee. THANKS FREDDY!

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle

A - Pours golden brown with a nice thick head. Decent lacing.

S - OMG, so so hoppy, would mistake this for pliny at first sniff. some nice sweet maltiness in there with a little citrus fruit sour smell.

T - So delicious. I can see what the fuss was about. So smooth and balanced. Plenty of hops but not so overbearing. It has a decent sweetness to it, like toffee.

M - Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation, perfect, it coats the mouth and give it the tingles. Wonderful.

D - So very very drinkable, if only it were a little more widely available.

surfer4life, Mar 10, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Crystal clear bronze with a 1-finger off-white head...decent head retention that settles into small groups of large bubbles surrounded by a thin layer of foam

S - Lots of up-front citrus...orange peel and somegrapefruit...sweet maltiness comes out as it warms

T - Well balanced between the hop flavors and malt backing...similar to the aroma...more orange rind...toffee comes out the more I drink

M - A little bit of tartness...very creamy...moderate carbonation...just enough lingering hops to make me want to keep drinking it all night

D - One of the most drinkable beers that I have had...hoppy, but not a one-trick pony...keep 'em coming

RickKrumenacker, Mar 10, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -24%

Clean amber color ale with good head. Smells a bit orange/citrus. Doesnt taste as smooth or sweet as other amber ales due to the hops. A strong toasted malt takes followed by a bitter hoppy taste. Good clean taste that is light in the mouth. Good drinkability. Reminds me of a slightly malty ipa with less spice. Would like to try a few more but bought it in a sampler pack.

mterrence5, Mar 10, 2009