Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

After trying other offerings at Night of the Barrels from the Troegs brothers, really have high expectations on this one plus somewhat recently available in Massachusetts. Poured a deep golden color with a hint of burnt orange.
Very nosey brew with loads of peach/mango sweetness backed by nice caramel maltiness. Very nice aroma on this one!
Brilliance from the first drink! The peach aroma transfers quite nicely to hoppy/peach fussion. Suttle sweet maltiness smooths things out for the finish.
Medium bodied brew that build slightly when rolled around the tounge. Remains clean and refreshinng throught.
This one did not disapoint! One of the best amber ales I've experienced. Troegs is a winner!

FishGetter, Mar 24, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I would have reviewed this faster but every week the six pack i buy is consumed before i get the chance to sit in front of the computer and review it. Had this on tap in Philly last may, when this became available here in Rochester I flipped out!

This poured a fairly clear orange amber with a huge, frothy off-white head. The lacing is super sticky and awesome. Aroma is floral, doughy, citric and of course hoppy.
Taste upfront is gorgeously hoppy but at the same time there is the perfect amount of bready and toasty malt flavor to blow the mind. A refreshing hint of grapefruit is present. Feel is sticky and smooth with a light tingling from the carbontion. This is a brilliant imperial hopback! Hopback is as drinkable as it gets and this is pretty close!

kbnooshay, Mar 24, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Apperance: Poured a clear slightly reddish amber. One finger head with a semi-aggressive poured. Just off-white with decent retention; reduced a thinner layer but stuck around. Some visible carbonation. Excellent lacing all the way down.

Smell: A perfect nose of sweet hops, with pine, grapefruit, and other citrus the strongest. All sorts of floral and fruit hops as well, with no bitterness at all. Not really much in the way of malts, but that's just fine with me.

Taste: A perfect balance between the balance betwen the hops flavor and bitterness and the overall sweetness of the beer. Not too bitter, not too sweet or syruppy. The malts seem to add perfect sweetness, but little else; mostly floral hops throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and very smooth. A little carbonation tingle on the tongue up front, and a very light and smooth hop bite.

Drinkability: An excellent beer. Perfectly balanced hops and malts, very appealing. My only knock would be that it is somewhere between an IPA and an amber, but that doesn't make it any less of a fantastic beer. A must try.

jonziefle, Mar 24, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A- A clear deep amber.

S- Smells just like hops pellets. Very citrusy, floral and grassy. Raw apricots.

T- Taste just like hops smell. Nice up front bitterness, followed by a burst of citrus and floral/grassy taste. A sharp and clean finish.

M- Medium body with a lively carbonation

D- Good Poundability.

TheNightbird, Mar 23, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

my favorite brew from troegs. they have nugget nectar and mad elf on tap at my favorite bar so i get to have this somewhat frequently. last night the head was at least 2 fingers and very light. i love sticking my nose in it and taking a deep whiff. the hops come through but dont assault the senses as some others do.
like i said, the smell is excellent yet not overpowering, but once you take the first full sip, the hops come through solidly. very smooth for a beer with hops like this and is suprisingly ...bubbly isnt the word.. but definitely pretty active. great aftertaste and very drinkable. were it not 6 dollars a pint i could easily drink several of these in a row

beerfanbill, Mar 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: A nice copper with that is perfectly transparent. There was a small head, but there is some nice lacing.

Smell: The smell is not extremely pungent, but has a nice resiny and piney smell. Lots of hop smell. There is also a hint of sweetness.

Taste: There is a really nice balance of malt and hops in this beer. It does have quite a bitter kick at the beginning though. There is some creaminess to the taste, but it is mostly citrusy. There is definitely some grapefruit to this beer.

Mouthfeel: It is pretty thick and somewhat chewy. I would definitely say that this is a smooth beer that is nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: Overall this is an awesome beer, which I could definitely have quiet a few of.

OnThenIn, Mar 23, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked this up while in Boston.

Pours a nice copper amber color with a frothy two-finger head that fades and leaves a bit of lacing in my glass.

Aroma is full of grassy, citrusy hops with a decent amount of malt showing through.

Taste is full of citrusy, grassy hop bitterness followed by a decent amount of biscuit malt underneath. Not overpowering or anything.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hop bitterness, which doesn't feel anything like "93-ish IBUs".

A tasty, nicely balanced amber ale here. Doesn't taste like a hop bomb at all and the hops only add more to it. I like the usage of lesser-used/lesser-known (at least in my experience) hops such as Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk. Tasty.

Brad007, Mar 23, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a very clear orange/copper color. The smell was very reminiscent of a nice marijuana bud...brought back some old collegiate memories! Head was about half an inch high and lacing was left on the glass the entire way down. The taste was incredible. Pine and citrus dominated. This is one of those beers where the aftertaste is almost better than the swallow itself. I'll definitely be purchasing this beer again.

alkemy, Mar 21, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful copper with perfect transparency and a nice two-finger white head with good retention and good lacing.

S: Floral hops with a nice malt character.

T: Hits hoppy instantly turning into caramel maltiness turning again into a floral hop finish with a bit of a pine bite. Well balanced but is more of an IPA than an amber. Alcohol stays pretty well hidden.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated and a smooth oily medium body. Very drinkable, I could easily put away a few and be very satisfied!

AdmiralDiaz, Mar 21, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. One of the more hoppy smelling beers that I have tried. I can get the pine taste along with the bitterness. It's not a bad beer to start the night with. I wish I hadn't drank the others over the past week. Sometimes I feel that I get more out of a beer if I have more than one (and I'm not just talking about a buzz). I would drink it again.

buschbeer, Mar 21, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the opportunity to try this one.

A- Pours copper with a 1" white head. Good retention, but settles down to a persistent film. Great lacing. Some carbonation evident. The beer is completely transparent.

S- Not as strong of a smell as I would like. Citrus and pine hops dominate, with sweet malts in the background.

T- Citric and pine hop flavor up front. The beer has enough sweet malts to have perfect balance. It's not too sweet and not too bitter either. Very, very good.

M- Medium body with ample carbonation. A little lighter than I expected from an "Imperial" beer. Really smooth going down.

D- I could drink this beer all day. Drinking one just makes you want more. I think I'm gonna make this beer a perma-want. The six pack he sent me went far too quickly.

akokandy, Mar 20, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Pours a very nice coppery/caramel color. White head floats on the surface, nice rentention.

S - Strong scents of pine, undertones of grapefruit.

T - Up front taste of grapefruit, very juicy. Malt mixes nicely and sweetens the deal. Bit of piney aftertaste.

M - Rolls nicely. Very smooth, not thin, but not thick.

D - Very pleasant to kick back a few of these. Wish I had easy access to this stuff.

youngblood, Mar 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I've had this brew many many time before, and just decided to review it tonight, on the fly.

Poured with some nice glugs, NN musters up a nice, 1 finger off white head, and has a dark amber color body. Carb creeps up the side of the glass giving it a nice effect. The head lowers to a layering on top of the brew, and leaves some nice lacing as I take my first sip.

The nose on this brew is pretty good. Some piney hops and a small small amount of citrus in the background.

The taste is where it is at! The hops mingle soooo nicely with the great malt backbone of this imperial amber. Has a malty sweetness to the finish, which works great for the style. The bittering hops stay with you for a minute after you set the glass down. Yum...

The feel for this beer is nice and creamy. It has a really nice body. It could use a tinge more of carb, but I'm not complaining.

I could drink these all night long, and thankfully, I have another in the fridge...

mikecharley, Mar 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into a tall highball-style cocktail glass compliments of the hotel where I'm consuming this in my room.

Very nice brown/red/golden color with a bubbly, white, two-finger head that clings for life as it subsides.

Aroma - yes, I smell hops. Massive hops. It's hard to describe what I smell. Sweet, pine, and resin all come to mind. Regardless, I like it.

The taste has an interesting flat finish that lingers with nothing appealing about it. I'm getting hit up front with the hops as I take the sip and then everything just falls off the table as it slides down my throat.

The taste is a real let down coming off the amazing hop aroma.

I wonder if I got a hold of a bad batch here in SW Ohio as I'm in the minority on this one.

Yetiman420, Mar 18, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a very Hoppy ale has a great taste and good finish. The apperance is nice and golden has a great light foamy head. Taste is of apricot and a bit fruity with a nice hoppy aftertaste and finish. Smell is of citrus and fuit notes. Overall a good beer i tend to go back to this in the spring time when i want a lighter beer

BringusKilkenney, Mar 17, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle at La Cave Du Vin, Cleveland Heights

poured into a standard pint glass

a: a nice amber/red color. Silky 1/4" head with very nice retention. Lace rings around my glass as I drink

s: nice citrus hop aroma hint of some malt

t: citrus hop dominates, slightly grapefruity. Well balnaced with malts on the finish.

m&d: medium to full bodied, decent carbonation lightens the mouth. Very drinkable brew

UDbeernut, Mar 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

My 100th Review!

A: A nice clear orange with a thin, lacy white head.

S: Strong hop smell that resonates lychee and tropical fruit sweetness. Kind of like the smell of lychee jellies that you buy at an Asian supermarket.

T: Overall bitter hoppiness is very strong throughout. The label tells me that this is a result of the "Trifecta of Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk Hops." The taste imbues notes of grapefruit, white grape /peach juice, and a strange smoky creaminess that hits at the very end.

M: Juicy and refreshing. Active carbonation, but not overwhelming.

D: Good drinkability. Does it deserve to be on the BA Top 100 though? I think probably not. There are a lot of great highly-hopped brews out there, and this one doesn't seem to stick out in any special way over the other brews.

thekanna, Mar 17, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

I almost feel bad that I rated this beer so high, like I was taken advantage of. But it really is that good!

Appearance is perfect in my book. Clear amber/copper color with a two finger off white head that stays. The lacing hangs on forever too.

The smell is grape fruity hops, but not horribly strong. I took time just smelling this beer far more than I have any other.

The hops are totally up front in the taste, but not to the point that they over whelm. The hop profile is grapefruity, but it doesn't taste like a glass of grape fruit juice like some hop bombs. The malt is there, its subdued, but not hidden.

I actually expected, with all the hype, to be let down by Nugget Nectar. I can honestly say this beer is everything its said to be.

Edit: Beer reviewed was my first of NN. After two six packs I am less blown away by the taste. Still a great beer, but I needed to update my review. I took taste from 4.5 to 4. The reason I did so was that the more time I spent with this beer the more I learned that it was a tad one dimensional.

jculler82, Mar 17, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice deep copper color with an off white head that held little retention. Despite little head retention, it left behind generous amount of thin lace. Nose is of big citrusy hop. I also picked up hints of tangerine, sweet malt, and roasted malt. Taste is of citrusy hops - grapefruit, orange, mango, that are blended well in to a bit of caramel malts and a touch of roasted malt. This beer is extremely well blended from start to finish. Mouthfeel is medium body, medium carbonation. This is a very crisp and clean beer and goes down VERY easily! This is definitely a keeper!

Jayli, Mar 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to HogTownHarry for sending this over via biegaman, much appreciated. Poured an amber-orange with minimal head, slight ring, low carbonation. The nose was truly delightful with lively orange marmalade and sweet apricot. Big hops dominate in the mouth with high bitterness and just enough malt on the swallow to provide balance. Wonderful. The label mentions Nugget, Warrier and Tomahawk hops but I know there is more than that in this brew, all of it nicely put together for maximum affect, a friendly assault on the taste buds. Considering just how highly hopped and bitter (93 IBU's) this is, it's remarkably drinkable.

ThatWineGuy, Mar 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled@home

Thanks to ba Traquairlover for including this as a bonus in our trade!

A: Golden copper with huge head and lots of lacing.

S: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Caramel, Pine.

T: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Toffee, Hops, Caramel.

M: Massive attack of hops upfront that is nicely balanced out with a healthy dose of sweet malt. Very very balanced!

I must thank Tröegs for making this lovely beer and making a mediocre saturday night into a really good one. This is hopjuice at its finest.

baggio, Mar 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours to an off-white two finger creamy head. The head disappears after a few minutes. The body has a translucent deep amber color. As you sip this excellent hoppy ale, the lacing residue leaves rings around the glass letting you know where you have been in this wonderful experience.

As you near the glass for your first sip you immediately smell the citrusy hops wafting from the glass. There's some bitterness but not biting or overpowering. It has a good balance and lasting flavor. Troegs has an excellent beer here, it's just too bad that it' is seasonal so most likely will you not be able to find it year round.

Definitely one worth trying again and again.

hoppyhobby, Mar 13, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another bottle courtesy of Corby112.

Pours a light amber into my pilsner glass. Small white head that gradually dissipates, though never fully disappears. A few columns of bubbles rising from the bottom.
Smells very much like a good IPA. Strong scent of hops & pine. Pineapple is present as well.
And it tastes much like an IPA. Hops, little bit of pine, citrus and slight bitterness. Very nice.
Mouth feel is slightly sticky- okay overall.
This is a tasty beer- reminds me a bit of Hopslam- and (unlike Hopslam) I could handle a few of these on any given night. Were it available here in MN, I'd definitely pick up some more.

WilliamD, Mar 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful crisp and clean amber brown mixed with copper color. Poured aggressively into my pint glass, it produces only a half cm of head, but the lacing is phenomenal. It looks absolutely amazing.

The smell is far hoppier than any amber ale that I have ever experienced. I pegged this one as a higher gravity pale ale, even an IPA when I smelled it. When they called it Nugget Nectar, they knew what they were talking about. The incredible bitter and sweet smells of hops waft up from the beer as it sits in front of me. I want to chew the hops as I smell them. There is a strong hop character there, but it isn't too overwhelming. You can tell there is a nice backbone in here.

The taste is phenomenal. It has been a while since I have tried a beer like this. You get all of the hop flavors that you think you will based on the smell, but you don't get nearly the bitterness. I can really feel every bit of the character that these hops contribute. There is a malty presence in the background that mellows the hop bitterness perfectly.

The entire experience was phenomenal. Wow.

NittanyBeerFan, Mar 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a nice golden amber with a big fluffy uneven head. Stellar retention; reduced to about 3/8 of an inch and stayed there until the last drop. Nice patchy lacing.
Hop aroma is insanely citric. Smells like a fresh peeled grapefruit. A touch of pine in there too.
Taste is soft and citrus fruity. Hops are dominant, but not too harsh or biting at all. Pretty smooth and rounded. Malt is a bit thin, could use a little more flavor in that department. There is however a mild sugary sweetness that fights its way through. Long bitter hop finish. The fairly hefty ABV is well blended and barely perceptible.
Feel is nice and smooth. Medium body.
A nicely drinkable choice if I'm in the mood for something hoppy. One of the better hop-heavy beers I've tried without question.

Hoagie1973, Mar 12, 2009