Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

IBU: ~93
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
3.81/5  rDev -12.2%

After having it for the first time last year because we finally got Troegs I was excited for a very fresh offering this year.

Nugget Nectar poured out wonderfully clear with a frothy white head. The color was a robust maple syrup. Some lacing stuck but mostly fell back down the glass. The color is gorgeous but the head and lacing is rather unattractive.

There is a considerable amount of dry hopping. There's a nutty, woody aroma, similar to Simcoe, with a piney background. I could smell this all day. I wish that someone would make a deodorant out of this beer.

I have to let my tastes adjust a little after having a sour earlier. The woody hop flavor is found in the flavor. There's a lot of fresh juicy grapefruit. This beer fully lives up to it's name. It is hop nectar. The malt is not very sweet. The hops actually over power the beer a little. You can detect a little bit of caramel but your taste buds are hindered by the hop profile. A little bit of astringency forms a while after you swallow. Alcohol isn't too strong, but you can taste it.

Mouthfeel is light. The carbonation makes this beer smooth to drink. This beer is great for hop heads. I can get through a bomber without a problem.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Mad Elf tulip glass. Pours a caramel-amber color with very nice white head. Head slowely dissapates to a nice creamy surface. Very nice creamy lacing.

Wonderful aroma. Lots of fruit and hops. Picking up orange and lemons. Overall it's a sweet and inviting aroma.

Flavor is very hoppy on the palate at first, along with strong carbonation...but as the hops flavor fades, a sweet musty flavor comes forward and leaves an awesome aftertaste. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel...great beer!

3.44/5  rDev -20.7%

Fresh 2010 bottle from Julios Liquors, MA.

A: Poured a warm amber color, maybe a one finger head at best, average lacing.

S: Alot of citrus hop notes

T: I dont know, this just tastes like a decent IPA to me (even though its not technically an IPA). Alot of citrus hops up front, some miniscule malt backbone, plenty of lingering bitterness. I was expecting something about the taste to catch me off guard given the hype surrounding this brew.

M: I was hoping for something much thicker than this! When I close my eyes and think of the name "nugget nectar", it sounds much more chewy than what I experienced. Moderate carbonation, prickly enough to carry it through.

D: Drinkability is pretty good, probably wouldnt want more than 24oz of this at a time though.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

A very solid beer that I have had a few times before this. Appearance is good. Standard clear amber color is nice here and the head goes up to about two fingers with decent retention. It was very creamy looking while it lasted and leaves pretty thick lacing behind. During the drinking a white cloud stays on top of the beer. Smell, to me, is the best part about this beer. A blast of hops hits the nasal passage with lots of citrus, pine and grapefruit notes. I can get some malt in the background, which is nice in this very strong aroma. It basically smells like a very good IPA/DIPA. Taste is a bit too bitter to me and throws the balance off. The huge citrus, pine and grapefruit notes stick around very well. The bitterness from the hops basically demolishes my palate, even after having a huge amount of hop bombs. I get some pale malt taste behind the hops, which helps to balance this beer out. Without some of the bitterness, this beer would be much better IMO. This beer actually reminds me a LOT of Celebration Ale, now that I think of it. Mouthfeel is right on for the taste. Medium bodied, medium carbonation feel good, some creaminess. Huge bitterness and hop flavors stay on the tongue, crazy coat of bitters, damn. No alcohol taste or feel really in this beer. This beer is actually so bitter, it reminds me of the time I ate a hop pellet, bad memories. Drinkability is decent. The one reason is that the super bitterness makes htis one hard to drink a whole bomber. The price is good for such a big beer, maybe in a month or so some of the bitterness will die down and it will remind me of last year's Nugget Nectar. I have never had it this so fresh, maybe my taste has just changed since last year. I still enjoy this beer through the bitterness, nice job by Troegs and very affordable for once (wish more breweries followed the example).

3.96/5  rDev -8.8%

Fresh 09 batch from WF Bowery

A - Pours a definitive amber with a light tan head that sticks forever! Heavy lacing as I drink it down. Shaping up wonderfully!

S - Hops, but not as strong as I suspected they would be. Light citrus profile as well, mainly oranges and lemons. No strong grapefruit.

T - Light citric bitterness, like a blend of traditional hop bitterness and lemon/grapefruit but definitely stronger in the former characteristic.

M - A bit thick and slick for the style, but not off-puttingly so.

D - Not uber-sessionable, but a great American Amber Ale - the best I've had so far

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

First off, I wish this beer was a little easier to get. I could only get my hands on 2 bombers of this great beer.

It pours a nice orange coppery amber color with a perfect 2 finger head. Lacing is nice. Rings around the glass turn into a spider web of sticky foam stuck to the glass.

The aroma is quite possibly the best part of this beer. WOW is it beautiful. It literally smells like some high quality potent cannibus. That's the best way I can put it. I absolutely love this smell. I also can pick up a light caramel sweet malt in the backbone. But the hops dominate the aroma.

The taste is almost the same as the smell. Very nice hoppy taste with a nice bitterness. It says 93ish IBU's but its actually very smooth. The sweetness of the malt balances it out very nicely. I also just drank an IPA with 113 IBU's so it probably makes the bitterness on this taste alot milder. Has almost a slightly sweet orange aftertaste. This beer is awesome. I love the complexity of this beer. I would recommend drinking it fresh as I am right now. I would believe that the hops fade after some aging.

Mouthfeel is right on. Perfect carbonation. Medium moutfeel. Smooth and slightly creamy. Delicious.

Drinkability is perfect. I could drink this all night. I would be hammered because of the 7.5% ABV but it's just so easy to drink. This is a great beer for someone who wants to drink a high quality hoppy brew that doesn't tear your palate apart from bitterness. Yes it has high IBU's but the balance and taste of this beer makes the bitterness very mild IMO. Damn it I wish this was easier to get. I would buy a ton of this if it was available. The price is right on it too. I've spent alot more on beers that weren't even close to the smell, taste, and overall drink of this brew! Kudos to Troegs!

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orang amber with about one finger of frothy head that stays around rather well.

Aroma: A huricane force of floral and citrus hop aroma. Incredible notes of caramel malts with a slight bready dryness as it enters the nostrils. Oh this monster also carries a massive of hoppy aroma in case I forget to mention.

Taste: Is it a double i.p.a in disguise. Or maybe a sleeping giant that has been awakend and it's angry. The mouthfeel is crisp with a little bit of a dry finish so wonderful. The citrus and floral hoppiness attack the pallate with brutal force. Hints of caramel malts way in the background but those malts get to go for and endless swim in the hops.

Notes: Upon opening this beer I expected a nice balanced beer. I am so glad to be wrong about that. I also did not know what I got myself into. This is a stunning brew a snarling beast of a beer. Cheers.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours a orangish-amber with a fluffy head that leaves spots of laceing.

S: Loads of orange and citrus up front, a nice floral aroma comes through, hints of carmel and toasted malt. This beer has the aroma of fresh hop flowers being rubbed together in your hands.

T: Huge hop flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Citrus and pine, very resinous and soapy, some warmth from alcohol, large malt presence ties it all together.

M: Medium body, soapy, very smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation, bitterness and sweetness complement eachother nicely.

D: This is one delicious hoppy hybrid, very balanced and very easy to drink, one of my favorite offerings from Troegs.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a bomber into DFH snifter. Center pour produces a beautiful, tan, 2 finger head. Super clear amber with reddish edges. Head dissipated quickly to leave some gorgeous lacing.

Aroma is banging. Boom! Citrus, piney hops with a sweet malt backside. This is the freshest I've had a hoppy beer and it doesn't disappoint.

Taste is balanced. It's surprisingly not overly bitter as the malt comes in nicely, but the hops rule the flavor profile. Grapefruity, piney, sweet. Good stuffs. Bitterness lingers in the aftertaste but not for long.

Mouthfeel is average. I don't know, nothing really stands out here. Carbonation is there, but doesn't leave an impression. It's verrrryy smooth, but I prefer a little bite with a hoppy beer. Or any beer for that matter.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz. bottle: this one pours a slightly hazy orange-ish color. There is a small tan head on it that drops off quickly but leaves some lacing. Nice nose to this one. Piney hops along with come citrus make up the bulk of the aroma. Strong, but not overpowering. Some graininess also coming through. The taste is bitter, but balanced. A bit of a piney, resinous flavors, with a hint of citrus. Fair amount of malts hiding in the background. A really nice IPA.

a- amber, orange, light brown, big frothy 1.5 inch head

S- tropical paradise of fruit, grapefruit, citrus

T- wow I taste every taste that could possibly come from American hops. with a solid sweet light caramel backing throughout. Unreal, best ipa I have ever tasted. This was bottled less than a month ago which could be the reason. Bitter grapefruit upfront, then goes into a piney grass taste, back to the tropical citrus variety. Lingering bitter piney grapefruit.

m- real smooth and creamy

D- drink this all day, cant wait for every sip

----

3-14...just had it on tap, best ipa ever. period

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

O.M.G. I have been excited to try this, and it did NOT let down.

A) Beautiful clear amber with thick fluffy white head many fingers thick. Slowly receded, leaving behind nice lacing and fluff.

S) As soon as I opened the bottle, holy hops! The smell poured out. Citrus, floral, sweetness, fresh. It begs to be tasted.

T) A delicious mixture of hops and malts, but definitely hop-dominant. Sweet citrus/honey/floral-->caramel malts-->bitter hops at the end. Some sips sweeter, some sips more bitter, but all insanely delicious.

MF)Smooth, medium bodied

D) Insanely high drinkability. I downed my 1 bomber and immediately wished I had a few more. I almost felt sad when I came to the end of this awesome beer. I will look for more. But so glad I got to try this.

Awesome.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%

Finally reviewing this. This beer is one needs to be consumed fresh. This is the freshest bottle I've ever had.

A moderate pour fills the chalice with a dark amber brew, clear and shimmery, with a one finger light beige head that settles to a ring and islands. The look of it is of a gem which ought be mounted on gold for a giant's pleasure.

The smell is of fresh citrus, with rind squeezes, pine, and a wonderful neutral grainy sweetness. Subsequent sniffs reveal a light breadiness and an earthy bitter note in the background of it all. Wooah, what a bouquet!

The taste is magnificent. Very full flavored, but not hammers-carrying-blowtorches full flavored. Full of zesty citrus, fresh pine, carried on a bed of light malty notes, not caramel or toffee, or even bread exactly, not yeasty, but a wonderful just slightly sweet balance that ushers the sip into a clean, earthy, citrus and bitter finish that is just dry enough, just juicy enough, and cleeean! I could compare this to some IPA's, or even Cascazilla (or others in this "style") but what's the point. It is a magnificently balanced blast of clean wonderful flavor (perhaps I should have left it at that).

Mouthfeel is that of a fine IPA, resinous, clingy, low carb., and it has a finish that is one of the finest I have had in any style, let alone amber ale style. Doubt there could be better in this style. Hope to try one. Doubt it.

Drinkability is off the charts. Seriously. If I had a case of these, prudence would lead me to have the alcohol overdose ward on speed dial.

Impression: If you can get this, especially uber-fresh, do your palate a favor, and buy all you can get.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, bottle date is 1-4-10 - only 11 days old! (Also some notes added from other bottle and on-tap experiences)

Appearance is reddish orange with a big creamy off-white head, which shrinks after a while but still remains good-looking leaving great lacing.

Smell is great, pine and grapefruit hops right up front screaming "drink me!".

Hops galore; pine, grapefruit, citrus, floral, some tropical and lots of fruitiness in general. Strong caramel/biscuity malt as well that comes through really nice in the finish. Pretty bitter but really, really tasty and drinkable.

This is so smooth and drinkable it's ridiculous. Barely any off-feels, lowish carbonation, when going down your throat it feels as smooth as juice. To put it lightly I am blown away. I've never come across a beer this smooth and easily drinkable. And at $6/bomber it's basically highway robbery. I'd love to try this on tap sometime. Absolutely excellent, and easily trumps any other red ale I've had.

**Edit: I tried this on tap and it is phenomenal. The bartender told me it was 3 weeks old. Amazingly tasty and smooth.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Picked up two bombers from Table and Vine. It's Pizza and Super Mario Bros night so I have to go with a classic. This one is actually following a fresh Pliny the Elder that was bottled on 12-23-09 so I am a bit nervous that it might lower the bar a bit.

A - Light amber with a white head. The reddish tint almost seems to glow like a halo.

S - Grapefruit, hops!!!!, floral, some spices. So very nice. I felt like I was skipping through a meadow smelling all the flowers and the clouds were raining fresh hops down upon me.

T - Hops, I love it. With the first sip I fell in love with this beer. The bitterness of the grapefruit balanced out by a light sweetness. I love amber ale's. This is my favorite so far. The malts work so well with the hops... It's like they are soul mates.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation. As with all the greatest beers of each style - so well balanced. Everything works so well together. Smooth as my package after I've taken the Con Air to it.

D - I picked this up at the store before they even put it on the shelves. Se fresh, so tasty. Thank goodness I have another bomber left.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this while in Mass as other have mentioned bottle on date is 1/07/2010 so it is only 7 days old.

A - amazing bright orange slight head really clear.

S - pine, citruis, very fresh very lucky to have this so close to bottling.

T - Taste is good nothing to blow me away is fresh but not enough to bring it to the highest level.

M - leaves a nice feel citrus afterfeel some sting that makes this one nice.

D - I want another this one is not a ipa or dipa so close and want another as so nice !!!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

First I'd like to say that the bottling date on my Nugget Nectar was January 7th, 2010. I drank it on January 8th. Awesome!

Poured into a snifter. Beautiful ruby color with an orangeish tint. Head is a creamy off-white. Lacing coats okay.

Wow, smells so hoppy, which makes me very hoppy. After I get over the hop bomb that is the nose, I smell grapefruit, mango, citrus, apricot, peach (a lot of fruit). There is some malt, but it knows its place for sure.

Tastes so smooth. Hops come forward, citrus, spice, caramel, this is the perfect bitterness in a beer. Finishes malty and bitter. Just lingers on the tongue. This beer tastes like a forest should taste.

Mouthfeel is bitter and full-bodied, coating my tongue in its goodness.

What a great beer! When I think of bitterness, this is what I want. Fresh hoppiness, Nugget Nectar does it right. I'm lovin' every sip of this one!

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottled on 1/7/10 (less than a week ago). Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a deep orange with reddish hues. Simply put, it's an "amber." Head is a bit small compared to what I was expecting, but it leaves some solid lacing.

S- The aroma is piney, but not overwhelmingly so due to the obviously present malt backbone. It is much sweeter than I expected/remembered from the one previous time I had this beer last year. The piney-ness leads me to believe that it will be quite sticky, but only time will tell.

T- A very resinous, piney flavor quickly overtaken by the sweet malts. The malt isn't the bready/bisuity variety often paired with piney IPAs (granted this isn't an IPA, but it does share many of the characteristics of an IPA,) but more like caramel malts. I do get some fruity or floral hops in the finish as well (possibly a combination of the pine and caramel or a new flavor altogether.) Maybe some juicy fruit bubblegum as well? I can't tell if it's the NN or the Hopslam that I keep tasting when I burp.

M- Very sticky (my prediction above was correct.) I can feel the resinous, slick hop oils on my lips and coating every mm of my mouth.

D- Very easy drinking. Goes down like a great session beer somewhere between a hopped-up amber and a DIPA with a slightly higher abv than I would have guessed unknowingly.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz, bottled on 1/7/10. That means when I bought this it was two days in the bottle. amazing. Poured into my DFH 75min shaped pint glass. Crystalline - crisp and drawing the light in to create a honey glow... burnt umber, golden, ruby - all ranges of browns and oranges depending on the light and viewing angle. 2 fingers of foam tightly defined on top in a cream colored cap. A consistent and foamy lace recedes into the glass after each sip.

grapefruit, lime and sourdough bread - three associative words that spring to mind on the first sniff. copperish metallic quicksilver highlights that almost sting the nether regions of my nostrils. But in the next sniff I pick up only soothing, salty play-doh. It's playing games with me. Super smooth and long lasting in the nose. Builds steam - a potent mix of dry yeasty bread and piney hop. The result is something exotic on the nostrils - like rotting mangoes one minute and soy sauce -topped tuna the next. This is the true allure of NN. The aroma is complex and out of this world, regardless of style. When taken into style context, it is world class. one of a kind.

Seems a little young on the tongue... hop is dominant from front to back. "Not that there's anything wrong with that". Lots of sourdough bread in the middle of the tongue, yeasty and a bit hot, evolves into a slightly tart, grapefruit-like crest. Medium body grows slightly chewy as carbonation spreads the beer to reach all crevices. In the finish the more subtle citric hoppiness is swallowed by some intense pine and earth. Bitterness swells, creating a nice pucker.. feels like raw hop oils pooling in the throat. The plentiful carbonation is required in order to keep the resinous hop moving along. Minutes after I'm done my mouth is still coated with vegetal bitterness. yum.

This is tons of fun to sip on, and the alcohol is hidden well enough, but I like to save NN for a once a night show.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled on 1-7-10 so pretty damn fresh!

A: Vibrant amber color, slightly orange too with lots of carbonation rising from th bottom of the glass. The head was minimal and white but did not retain too well although it did leave some lace

S: MMMm hops. The first whiff was of citrus fruits( apricot, peaches, oranges). The second was more resinous pine with touches of floral notes. There is also a nice caramel and slightly bready background and a slight hint of roasted/burnt caramel.

T: The hops are very potent providing a bitter pininess in the foreground and hints of citrus in the background. Very well balanced between bitterness and sweetness. The bitterness lingers a bit on the tongue and the sweetness has a bready quality and some nice caramel notes.

M: Slightly rough around the edges, but very clean tasting.

D: Very quaffable and a bomber or a few bottles would not be any problem. Not as overly hoppy as many other hopcentric beers but definitely very well balanced

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a double finger white lemon head. The head doesn't have much staying power and left very little (if any) traces of lace behind. The body is a beautiful amber/ruby color with orange hues...crystal clear.

Very complex aromas...lots of hop presence, citrus, and caramel...all floating on a sweet-malty backbone.

The taste is very similar to the nose, which is a good thing! The hops hit you in the mouth right away. The bitterness gives way to the amber flavors...caramel, malts and (very light) molasses. Then you get another hop kick at the end...very well balanced!

Mouth feel is light-medium with average carbonation.

This is a greatly drinkable beer...one that every BA should keep in stock!

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottled 1/4/10, consumed 1/12/10.

A: Pours a nice clear, golden brown that has the slightest hint of ruby tint to it. The head Is off-white and hangs around a bit, leaving some lacing on the walls of the glass. Overall, the way this beer looks make my mouth water.

S: My first wiff was of pine, delicious, lingering pine. Next I caught some tart citrus, maybe grapefruit and orange. The malt backbone that I am picking up is one of caramel, but it isn't too strong.

T: My first sip was filled with juicy citrus, delicious! There are hop flavors of peach and grapefruit in there. My next sip leaves me enjoying some nice piney hops. There is a nice bitterness to this beer as well. Backing up the wonderful hop showcase is a caramel/bread-like malt backbone. This one was interesting, as I usually can pick out which way the malt characteristics are leaning.

M: The mouthfeel that this beer has is incredible! It's perfectly carbonated to let the hop flavors dance on your palate, and it leaves a desireable amount of hop oils in the mouth post-swallow.

D: This is a phenominal beer. I just wish it was brewed year round. This is definitely in my top ten, maybe even my top five.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottled 1/4/10. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a DFH snifter

A: This has an orange/amber hue. Aggressive pour yields a 1 finger off white head which mostly disappears quickly. A thin head remains for most of the glass though. Leaves trace amounts of lacing

S: Wonderful amount of hops right up front. I could smell them as soon as I opened the bottle. This is followed by grapefruit, orange and lemon. There is also a faint amount of spice

T: Bitter hops explode onto the palate. Pine and the fruit mentioned above follow the hops

M: Medium bodied. Creamy, somewhat sticky mouth feel. The hops really attack the palate, leaving a bitter taste

D: I could drink this beer all night. Love the hop presence in this, but it's not overdone to cause palate fatigue. I guess this has some amber qualities, but really seems more like a DIPA without the typical sweet/syrupy flavor. I am really glad I could enjoy this beer fresh to get the full hop profile

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a case at the brewery on 1/9/10 (bottled on 1/7/10). Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Pours a beautiful crystal clear orange/amber with a bright white head. Lots of pineapple, grapefruit and lemon in the nose. Tons of citrus flavor up front with a nice balance of malty, sweet caramel with a dry hoppy finish. This beer smells and tastes amazing! Medium body with moderate carbonation. This is dangerously good stuff!

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pumpkin-orange with persistent off-white head.

Dank aromas, grassy, floral, w/ yeasty bread, butterscotch, lemon, ginger.

A tease of sweetness quickly turns to a rich, flavorful bitterness across the palate. Pine forest flavors atop some fruit, nicely balanced by bready notes.

Light, lively, and refreshing, yet great depth of flavor. Good carbonation.

I would gladly make a night out of a few of these.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company