Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a copper color with nice amber hues and a small head with beautiful lacing left in its absence.

S: Faintly smells of its Amber origins but a very pleasant mixture of floral and pine hop aromas melding together.

T: It definitely has that Amber flavor but its very subdued in the background. Hops are for sure in the foreground.

M: Nice creamy medium bodied and oily. Very pleasant in the mouth. Not too much as some Ambers/Reds can be. Very tame, yet very flavorful at the same time.

D: Hands down an easy drinker! This is added to my list of Ambers/Reds to enjoy from Oct-March (Lagunitas Impy Red and Nosferatu are my other two in that timeframe) Definitely going to enjoy as much of this as possible, and trick my friend who doesnt like Ambers into liking it!

drgonzo3705, Jan 30, 2009

I find it hard to believe that after two years of drinking this beer I have not reviewed it. It may have taken me this long but better late than never. I digress, I have had this beer on cask, on draft and in the bottle and every which way this beer is amazing.

A - Sappy amber, with highlights of light brown, copper and orange. Soft, delicate head with a sticky lace that etches my journey to the bottom of the glass.

S - a hoppy mix of tropical and stone fruits, a pleasant mix of peaches, pineapple and a delicate floral honey aroma lingers. A bready, almost biscuity rounds out the aroma and ties back into the hop character.

T - Light bitterness is balanced by bready, sweet malts. A dark fruit-like character lingers in the background. Hoppy resins of pineapple, grapefruit and peach are balanced by an earthy complex of cedary resin.

M - Smooth almost creamy complexity without a hint of alcohol. For as much hop character as this beer has there is no hint of astringency or grassiness. The balance of this beer is remarkable neither cloying or too bitter, only a light malt and hop note lingers.

D - Dangerously drinkable. This is the type of beer you can do some damage with. It's balance is key here, neither too cloying or too bitter, this beer balances itself and invites you back for a few more rounds.

Jettanbass9, Jan 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Was recommended this beer by some personal friends of mine from the beer tasting club. First brew from Troegs.

Once I poured it, the aroma hit me. It smells amazing. The cascade/centennial/chinook grapefruit hops overpower the nose. It smells amazing. I think I inhaled at the lip of the cup for well over a minute.

The taste is quite light and delicious. Great malth flavor, that citrus kick from the flavors and hops hit as well, but I think that's to be expected after the nose. Really light mouthfeel - crisp and refreshing without being too heavy. I think amber is a great category for the ale, as I feel like the hops MIGHT classify it as an IPA, but it really doesn't have that heaviness.

Ultimately, a delicious brew. Grab em if you see em. They are well worth the try.

zerofear13, Jan 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Enjoyed this with William Pang (Queens, NY) as per usual.

Poured a dark gold/light amber color, with a quickly dissipating head and pretty minimal lacing.

The smell of this beer is absolutely fantastic. Straight grapefruit and citrus, with a little hint of pine. Definitely a lot of hops in this one.

The taste is not as outrageously hoppy as the smell. There is somewhat doughy taste, backed by the definite citrus from the hops.

Very thin in the mouth, with a bit of bitterness that lingers behind for quite some time.

Very drinkable. The 7.5% alcohol is hidden well, and this is a very easily enjoyed brew.

tittymcj, Jan 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

According to the stamp, the beer was bottled 9 days ago on 1/19/09. Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A- Clear, amber. The bottom of the glass seemed to glow as the beer was consumed. One fingers width of white formed and dissipated quickly upon consumption.

S- Absolutely amazing. Potent scents of peach and citrus hops jump out and infiltrate the nose.

T- Really unique. On first taste, presence of earthy, citrus hops blow up in the mouth. The bitter hops carry throughout the finish, but are accompanied with malts of bread like characteristics. Unlike anything I have had before.

M- Smooth, delicious, perfect. Nice amount of carbonation with a thin to medium body feel.

D- This is one drinkable brew. I could honestly put my 6-pack away in one sitting.

Overall, drink this one fresh!!! I have had it with some months on it and it doesn't compare. Drink it while it's hot.

rhinos00, Jan 28, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I love this beer!!! As for those that think it is just hyped, well I guess you'll never know.

Poured into my Sharp Edge Over the Edge goblet a clear amber red with a thick frothy and soapy white head. The head thins down in size but is still thick and clings to the side of the glass. Right off the bat it smells like someone put the Christmas tree back up. Big pine burst with a sweet, citrus scent in the back. The taste isn't as strong on the pine but its there with mostly a sweet citrus that coats the inside of my mouth. A dry hop aftertaste and an oily coating in mt mouth. The mouthfeel is slightly thin but it slides down my throat like silk. I could drink this one all day. The perfect over-hopped Amber Ale!

CrazyMacHarris99, Jan 28, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

And I think I just found my new all-time favorite brew.

a- firey deep red in color, which contrasts very nicely with white head that this beer produces. Lacing is very wet, yet holds to the glass long after the beer is complete. A different type of lacing that I have only seen on a few beers before, very moist looking not "foamy" like other beers.

s- the smell was my first indication of what I was in for. first smell is without a doubt grapefruity. slight outdoor foresty smell. some other citrus notes such as lemon and orange can be smelt, leaving a nice tangy smell.

t- nothing short of amazing. grapfruity, citrusy, with a definite bitter hop finish. slightly sweeter than other ambers/IPAS, but a very pleasant taste and aftertaste.

m- very smooth with not-so-aggressive carbonation. I think that they could have carbonated a tad more to give it a more shocking mouthfeel, but I was impressed in the fact that this beer goes down very smooth.

d- very drinkable, which is upsetting because I only picked up a sixer....must find more!

TStandley13, Jan 28, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a nice clear amber color with an incredible white frothy head that leaves some lasting lacing in the glass. It has an aroma of citrus hops with malts coming through it. The hops dominate incredibly though.The taste is mind blowing! The hops are show cased, just like the smell, but the malts, biscuit and carmel, are there to keep everything balanced. I would say this is a IPA that the malts are kicked up more to balance the hops and alcohol. There is a fair amount of alcohol in it, and I couldn't drink the nectar like hopback. I wouldn't want to though. This brew should be savored and enjoyed. It is freking delicious. A must try by any beer enthusiast.

HopEnthusiast, Jan 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

so i just had to re-review this... last year i had nugget nectar on draft... and was rather disappointed... at the time i suggested that hype/a prior ipa/bad case might have been the source of the problems...

well i got a case of NN this year (2009) and i love it... i also have some hopslam and one night i had a hopslam before the NN... same effect as last year, the tastebuds are dulled and NN comes across as a blurred mess to me... there seems to be some difference in appearance compared to my previous cask review... so i call bad cask on that review...

here is my new review:

A: Blazing amber/red body... the imperial amber description nails what this beer looks like.. bold offwhite head, that lasts for ages and leaves lovely sticky lacing

S: the blend of hops here has a wonderful bouquet, grapefruit, pine and floral notes all kick serious butt... deliciously welcoming

T: the flavor trails off slightly from the nose, but is still excellent, there is a point somewhere in the middle of the flavor profile that can use some work as the malt and hops interplay on the tongue... but i am just being picky now

M: Smooth, medium bodied beer, with a nice bitter finish... as noted above there is a very brief gap in the middle

D: Glad i gave this another go and went for a case... now i just need to get another before its all gone

callmemickey, Jan 27, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into standard pint glass

Appearance: Very clear amber red with 1 finger head, leaves good amount of lace.

Smell: Wow, what a rush of hops, everything under the rainbow here. Can't really explain much more, just overwhelming.

Taste: Taste is right in line with the smell. They may have dry hopped for a richer aroma but the taste is even more extreme, just full of hops. There are some fruity hops (maybe some grapefruit), there are some nugget hops, earthy, etc...Just amazing,

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, bitter but still extremely smooth.

Drinkability: Unbelievable, no traces of alcohol and like already said, oh so smooth.

Notes: Expectations are most likely very high for this beer but trust me, you will not be let down at all. Buy a case and try your very best to drink it over a 2-3 month period and you can pull out little differences as the beer "ages". Wait now that I think of it, buy 2 cases because 1 will not get you to 3 months.

BigIrishman, Jan 27, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Clear pale orange/amber with huge fluffy white head. Excellent head retention.

S - Hops, hops, hops. Citrus hop smell, pine hop smell, grapefruit. Very impressive.

T - Considering the hops and IBU, it's surprisingly balanced. Sweet, bready malts give way to a citrus, floral hop taste. Finishes slightly bitter. There is more hop taste than bitter taste, if that makes sense. Very good.

M - Feels amazing. Medium body, medium carbonation, nice pleasant feeling afterward - a rare occurrence that you want to hold the beer in your mouth for a while.

D - Highly drinkable. Great mouthfeel and combination of taste and balance...could get tricky with this one because you wanna drink it all night (it's 7.5% abv).

I'm very impressed with this brew...not quite up to the RIDICULOUS amount of hype it gets, but what could be? A fantastic beer overall and worth picking up even a case.

gciccarelli, Jan 27, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Crystal clear orangish amber, nice head which lasts and leaves beautiful lacing

S - Fresh grapefruit, floral hops, delicious goodness

T - Major grapefruit taste, hoppy but not overly bitter

M - Medium body, medium carbonation

D - Can't...stop...drinking....

A lot of hype around this beer, which can lead to disappointment....but not in this case. Easily one of the best beers I ever had. I absolutly love this.

smedley, Jan 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

I poured from 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It pours a clear amber in color with a moderate white head and a little lacing. The aroma is heavy on citrus and pine. The flavor follows. The taste is nicely balanced and has a nice hoppy finish. Every sip leaves a thin pine resin on your tongue, giving the beer a fuller feel. A very good and drinkable brew.

bonkers, Jan 26, 2009

12oz bottle into nonic.

Crystal clear deep amber hue with a one finger light tan head, which leaves behind a solid wall of lacing as it settles to a thin cap with bubbles sprinkled around.

The aroma of this seems to fill the room. The amount of hops in this beer are amazing. Sharp pine along with grapefruit, and a good amount of pineapple.

I could write a couple sentences describing the malts (slightly toasty, balancing to the hops), but why bother? The hops are citrusy, plentiful, sharp, spicy, bitter, imparting a little bit of pineapple like in the aroma. Both the bitterness and flavor is on the high end. Full bodied, with citrus fruit lingering for a while after each sip.

Certainly one of the more sought out ultra-hoppy beers. Plenty of hop flavor and bitterness without it becoming overwhelming. Surprisingly drinkable, but not quite sessionable. Still, it's a beer that can sneak up on you with its high drinkability. It's actually somewhat refreshing as well. Recommended.

BeerSox, Jan 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Nuggets and nectar? nothing pleases me more. The bottle has very cool artwork, i would personally title it "hop grenade." Has a very citrusy fruity smell. It has a very lovely "summer taste". I think this would be a great bbq beer. Goes down very smoothly and pleasantly. Overall a solid beer.

FrothyBeverage, Jan 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle. Pours a clear deep orange/amber with a thick, foamy white head. Aroma of grassy and garlicky hops. Flavor of sweet caramel malt and grassy hops with a bitter finish. Nice and drinkable. The hop profile isn't my favorite, but this is a decent IPA.
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Jan 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer pours a very clearm amber with a 1 fingered head with nice amounts of lacing. The smell consists mostly of a citrusy hop smell with notes of vanilla. For being such a high IBU beer this beer is very smooth and the flavors in my opinion are very well balanced. There is a large citrus flavor but it balances well with the nice malt base. The mouthfeel is nice, but it has a slight dry aftertaste and is a little undercarbonated. I certainly look forward to when this comes on tap locally because I wanna try it all night long it is that drinable and that yummy :)

Biggness, Jan 25, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz bottle poured into a SA perfect pour glass. Pours an orange amber colour with nice white head and a sticky lace.

Straight grapefruit and pines even though the grapefruit is quite pungent and overpowering which isn't a bad thing.

The taste is somewhat tamed compared to the aroma with the presence of grapefruit and pine with a nice malt taste that balances the brew and lets it finish nice and clean.

A very nice beer and another creation of another style of beer the imperial amber.

Hokies, Jan 25, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

They say its an "imperial amber" and amber it is, but the nose is all ipa or dipa - I'd say ipa and a half. The smell of grapefruity hops just come bursting out of the bottle especially when that bottle is fresh as this one is. The taste is also at first pure hops and lots of them, lovely bitterness. After a few sips you can also get hints of caramel from the malt of which this has a bit more of than the typical ipa - a nod to the imperial amber moniker I guess. This beer feels so good in you mouth you don't want to swallow it, but you do so that you can drink some more. All in all this is probably my favorite beer. Why not all fives then? I guess I'm a hardass.

As a side note this beer must be drunk fresh. Last year's batch started to fade seriously in June. Was drinkable but a mere shadow of its former self in November and a drainpour when I had it side by side with this year's batch this week.

roscoehnj, Jan 24, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a crystal clear deep amber with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of pine resin and grapefruit. Some sweet malt in there if I strain my nose a bit. Wow the taste is less bitter than I imagined. Sweet malts fade to pine and resin. Not bracingly bitter, very smooth hop bitterness. This stuff rocks. Leaves a lingering grapefruit in the finish. Smooth almost creamy mouthfeel, medium body, ample carbonation. This is one of the best hop forward brews I've ever had.

johnnnniee, Jan 24, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep orange amber with a nice off-white sticky head that left a bunch of rings on the glass.

Tons of grapefruit/citric hop aroma here. Find the malt if you can.

Pow -- a punch in the mouth with the hops right off. Not overpowering though, good balance with a toasted malt sweetness. Finishes bitter and a bit caramely.

My first 5 in this category. Was expecting this to be thinner, but the chewiness of this brew is just right for the flavors represented.

First time I saw this around here, so I bought a single. Overall, smart, but wow I wish I bought a full 6. Terrific drinkability, and the alcohol doesn't ven seem present. Buy this when/if you find it.

OtherShoe2, Jan 24, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

5.0 A: What a wonderful sight! Orange amber color, crystal clear. The head is amazing...simply amazing. It is so fucking stubborn...excellent retention. Plenty of lacing to go along with it.

4.5 S: Lots of citrus (GRAPEFRUIT BOMB). Herbal hop aroma with a bit of flowers too. Not a whole lot of malt in the nose, but a lingering sweetness exists.

5.0 T: I'm not the biggest fan of grapefruit, but I'm loving it in this beer. Grapefruit dominates...period. I had heard that this beer has a lot of IBU power to it, so I looked it up. On Troegs site, it says "93ish". This really surprised me as I didn't find this beer very bitter. I do find a shit ton of hop flavor with citrus foremost. Not much malt character at all...maybe a touch of caramel sweetness. If this beer was more balance, it wouldn't be as good, so I'm glass the malts stay the fuck out of the way.

4.0 M: Medium body. Creamy, but not creamy enough and good carbonation.

5.0 D: It's impossible not to crave another. So drinkable, so tasty.

DavoleBomb, Jan 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Born on 1/16/09, this is right off the bottling line.

Pours a beautiful amber color with a thin head that turns into a crown. Carbonation is very nice.

Smells of citrus, mostly grapefruit. Different than I had expected, but very interesting and appealing.

Very refreshing taste. Crisp, clean fruity hops.

Mouth is good at a medium body an carbonation. Really couldn't be any better combination for this flavor profile.

Drinkability is good, I could hammer these and it hides the alcohol incredibly well. Excellent brew and glad to have finally tried one.

sonicdescent, Jan 24, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/19/2009. The beer pours a clear amber color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is very good, lacing is decent. Carbonated bubbles rise from the bottom to the top of the glass long after the first pour. The aroma is just, wow! It's plenty of hoppy goodness, with lots of citrusy, tropical fruit and grassy hops, along with a sweet and biscuity malt backbone. Excellent mix of hops and malt. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like citrusy hops (grapefruit, orange zest, mango), grassy/pine hops and sweet/biscuity malt. There's also a nice lingering bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick, a bit creamy and has good carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very smooth and goes down very easy. I have to say Nugget Nectar is a pretty good beer, it's even better than I expected it to be. If you find any don't think twice, just buy it. You'll be glad you did!

bluejacket74, Jan 24, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an American pint glass.

A--Two finger white dense foamy head floating on a little more orange than pure amber body. Body actually is a lot like Sierra Nevada pale ale, except a little more yellow in the orange than red, which is weird because this is supposed to be an amber and that's supposed to be a pale ale. What are you gonna do? Nice dishsoap spotty lacing and it only takes a swirl in the glass to get the foam working again. Lively and inviting bubbles.

S--When cold, oranges, pure juicy valencia sweet oranges--almost more like the oil in the rind smell than the smell of juice. As it warms the nose opens up considerably to give you some other citric notes, with brighter tangy grapefruit sneaking in there and even, if you've ever had them, kumquats. I hope that's not too esoteric, but seriously: I've only had them once, but that's nearly exactly the smell on this as it warms. Anyway, bottom line is lots of citrus, low on floral, and some more skunky/catty odors creep in as it warms. Gets kind of, well, urinal smelling underneath all that sweet, which I kind of like, though I feel a little weird admitting it.

T--While I think the nose was not as impressive as SN's Wet Hope Harvest, which is such a hop bouquet that you can actually pluck out the scent of individual flowers, the taste on this one beats it by a whisker. Especially when it gets to cellar temperature, this sucker proves to be a hop bomb on some high-grade LSD; this is a seriously beefed-up beer. Aside from the obvious citric notes up front, there's plenty more cat pee ushering in next (but only when not really cold), with a middle palate of /fantastic/ crackery malt that's just right for everything around it, as well as a touch of caramel. The finish is long, smooth, and dry, somewhere between fresh sawdust and pinetar. Smack smack smack, sip sip sip. The thing I love best about this beer is you can almost taste the three hop varieties separately and distinctly working on regions of your tongue and mouth. A dry, but not really bitter, citric brew with plenty of malt in the middle.

Mouthfeel is creamy, again the comparison to SN pale I hope is not getting old, because that's what it reminded me of, which is high praise in my books. Drinkability is average, really, at seven and a half. Despite the suck and squeeze every last drop of flavor from one ingredient motif, I think this highly impressive brewery could get more flavor out of less boozy. Then again, I'm not manning the tanks! Still an overall awesome beer I'd highly recommend.

TheycallmeTim, Jan 24, 2009