Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
Holmes1135

4.7/5  rDev +8%

My very best beer that I have ever had...a hop lover's dream!

An absolutely gorgeous deep gold color!

A rich inviting pine and caramel aroma that is...well its just great!

The taste is...well I already said that this is my absolute favorite beer! That pine and caramel aroma caries right through into the flavor and is acompanied by a warm alcohol and floral flavor, but it does not overpower. The most balanced beer I have ever tasted!

I will buy a case of this beer every year upon release. I work at a beer distributor in Erie PA and we sell out of this beer faster then any other! If you get an opportunity, buy this beer...buy a case, you will NOT be disappointed.

-Peace-

08-09-2008 04:38:25 | More by Holmes1135
Reagan1984

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Thank you to Redmagik99 for providing the information that led me to try this beer. It was worth the effort and I can't wait for the next release.

There were several people who even suggested that I avoid the beer since it was released last winter and suggested that the hop aroma and flavor will have faded significantly. Well if what I tasted was faded hops and what I smelled was diminished aroma then I REALLY can't wait to try a fresh one this winter.

Again, another beer lives up to the hype. It's a great one. I was lucky enough to secure 4 bottles and have shared one with a friend and enjoyed the other last night. (Savored is probably a better word)

I enjoyed this beer in a tulip glass to hopefully highlight the aroma. After pouring there was a thick 1 ½ finger head that slowly faded back into the beer. The color was quite bright Reddish/Amber with loads of orange highlights. It was slightly cloudy. There was a pretty good amount of lacing.

Aroma was Pine, Pine, beautiful pine, huge and fresh. Also a sharp citrus aroma that was sweeter smelling than just grapefruit. Really an amazing aroma.

When considering the taste the first thing I thought and wrote was "candy like" and that's meant to be a compliment. This does not describe the beer as too sweet, it's not. But it just takes over like a great treat. At first the taste was of tropical fruit with some nice complexity. I can't really identify a specific fruit, perhaps very ripe mango. Then a pine/hop bitterness enters the scene and really balances the flavor very well. It's really wonderfully balanced. Nice deep flavor that you could think about.

Actually had a bit of a lighter mouth feel than I had expected. But still nice. Drinkability isn't really the question here. It's how do I get more of this when it returns this winter.

Awesome beer and an instant classic on my list of personal favorites.

08-08-2008 19:10:36 | More by Reagan1984
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

A- Bright, hazy rust color. Head is 1/8" after an easy to medium decanting. Nice ring of surface bubbles on the top surface of the beer. Lacing seems like it is going to stick around in patches on the sides of my glass.

S- Very sweet caramel malts mingling with the hoppy aromas on first sniff. Deeper into the smell, you will find piney notes, citrus, and a subtle alcohol warming effect.

T- After first taste, I really want to just quit reviewing this beer; I actually just want to be selfish and give it my TOTAL attention. What a nice brew...Pleasantly malty, bittering hop not too overwhelming but balanced. The same citrus and pine carry right over from the hops. The finish is somewhat dry especially compared to how sweet it starts. The alcohol warmth brings up the rear.

M- Medium in the mouth and the carbonation is nice and tingly.

D- I don't think I really need to say anything...amazing beer. I really dont like amber styles, or should I say I really didn't like them until today. Outstanding, and I would love to have another one.

Cheers to my friend and fellow BA ncvbc for trading with me, allowing me to try this one!

08-07-2008 21:46:58 | More by MMAJYK
grandq

Nuther old review found:

A: clean, light amber, big pillowy white head
S: grapefruit, peppery spice
T: delicious, strong hop presence but not abrasive. gentle flower, grapefruit, lemon and faint rind hiding behind a tiny touch of malt. finishes with some of the most pleasant bitterness . hops leave off resiny sweet. I might prefer more malt here, but I hate to disturb the hops playing in their natural habitat.
M: creamy broken up by effervecense to leave a lingering coat throughout the mouth. Correction - linger seems to connote "unwelcome" - this can stay as long as it likes
D: just absurdly smooth. but gets a little bit sweet as time goes by.

08-03-2008 23:55:24 | More by grandq
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

This brew looks and smells great. Its classified as an imperial amber but looks and smells more like an DIPA. A nice burnt orange with a 1/4 inch head. The smell is very hoppy and a little rye?

The taste is very smooth and slightly hoppy. This is a very well balanced, believe it or not, brew. It has a nice mouthfeel. Kinda dry...hoppy...smooth.

Overall, this is a good beer. Would make for a beautiful session. I only wish I had more!

07-30-2008 23:32:03 | More by iconoklaztor
CrellMoset

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

My last bottle from a sixer picked up at Market Street Wine (uptown location) in Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous, hazy beer - the body of which ranges in color from yellow around the edges to orange to reddish amber at the heart - with a slightly off-white one-and-a-half finger head that leaves huge swaths of sticky lacing as it recedes.

Aroma: One of the most "biscuity" beers I've ever stuck my nose into. Huge roasted caramel grainyness comes out strong, but wham, there's the hops! Overwhelming floral hop goodness, with hints of citrus and a soupcon of pine.

Taste: Amazingly balanced, much like the nose - it really is precisely halfway between an amber and an IPA, with both aspects coming through very strongly. Great citrus hop notes - grapefruit and orange oils, some floral notes - and a solid but not overwhelming bitterness that manages to balance a metric tonnage of sweet, bready caramel malt. No hint of alcohol, despite the unusually high abv% for the style. Incredibly impressive.

Mouthfeel: Uneven and verrry oily. Resinous and syrupy in places, but medium-bodied.

Drinkability: An outstanding brew that's unbelievably delicious. At 7.5% abv, it's a little high for an amber, but who cares? It's expertly balanced, complex, and smooth. Highly recommended. I got the last sixer of this in Charlottesville - why oh why is it a seasonal!?!

07-30-2008 02:16:50 | More by CrellMoset
kkosmoski

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

I am updating my review with a much fresher bottle from the 2009 batch. Ratings will be changed to reflect this year's brew. The first obvious difference from last year is the clarity of this year's batch - it is crystal. Aroma is all about the hops - floral, citrus, lemon. It smells like there is a handful of hops steeping in this beer - its amazing. Flavor is very fresh and bright with intense hop tones of orange, grapefruit, pine, and herbs. Also a bit of toasty malt to supplements the hops. This beer drinks great for a lover of the hop.

I am glad I was able to get my hands on some of this in a fresh state this year. This was a good beer with seven months on it, but it is exceptional fresh. The fresher you can drink it the better.
___

Poured from the bottle into a tulip-type glass. Bottled on date is 12/31/2007, so this one has a bit of age on it. The beer sat in the glass a cloudy, orange-tinged amber, and the white head fell down to barely a coating after a couple of minutes. Aroma was pungent and piney with some citrus rind, but a bit more subdued than suspected. Flavors started off with a sharp but pleasant citrus pith bite, which smoothed out but lingered through to the finish and was topped off ever so slightly by a medium caramel taste. Feel in the mouth was medium-full and had a sharp bite of carbonation. For my taste, the drinkability of this beer is very good - I could drink it all night!

Considering this bottle was 7 months old, I missed out on alot of the nice fresh and dominating hop character of this beer. It was still there, just not quite on the level as it once was. Even so, this was a intensely hoppy ale that is very well done and enjoyable. I would pick this out of a hoppy crowd.

07-30-2008 00:59:14 | More by kkosmoski
maximum12

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to marcpal for shipping this to me as an extra, my first nugget.

Not surprisingly, this pours amber, although it's on the pale side. Smell is one of the strongest I've experienced, it came washing out of the glass without me having to sniff for it. Overwhelming smell of hops.

Tastes less like a red & more like an IPA with a faint reddish character in the aftertaste. Strong hops taste upfrontto complement the nose, with a good bite that's not too bitter but balanced nicely. One note: as the beer warmed a little & I warmed to the oddly mixed styles, this beer tasted better & better.

Mouthfeel is rich, drinkability is high, going down nice & easy. Frankly I really like the balance of Red/IPA, & don't think I've had another beer that succeeded in walking this line. Good beer!

07-26-2008 01:14:23 | More by maximum12
bkett01

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Big thanks to CoreyRhoads for this one...

Half inch frothy white head on this one after pouring it into a pint glass. Color is a clear ruby/amber with a good deal of carbonation making it's way up.

Smell is not as hoppy as I'd imagined it would be as I detect only a mild layer of hops. They are more detectable in the taste as piney hops balance nicely with a bready malt. It leaves quite the layer of lacing on the glass and is very drinkable.

Definitely going to seek out some more of this next time I'm in PA. Solid IPA.

07-24-2008 01:40:24 | More by bkett01
everetends

Alabama

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz bottle thanks to AmishT and BamaBeerBuff convincing him of my worthiness. Poured into a shaped pint.

A: Poured a nice copper color, clear with some carbonation bubble activity. Poured a good size head that receeded down to a white ring. The head produced some soapy lacing that really sticks to the glass leaving a web like/helix trace on the glass.

S: Hops. Big, sweet, floral hops. As the brew warms we can get some sweet malt, orange rind. So nice.

T: The taste is of some sweet, floral hops. The hops really shine here because they don't have crazy bitterness. The bitterness is there but is very well balanced with some sweet, caramel, malt. Brown sugar comes across a touch. Alcohol does rear its head but still nice.

M: Medium bodied brew that has amazing creaminess. This beer really sticks to your mouth and brings the flavors out. Alcohol burn sits on the back of the throat, but works well.

D: Great drinkability. Easy to drink because the balance is damn near perfect. I could drink a sixer of this in a sitting with no problem. I would be drunk, but I would be happy. Amazing beer.

07-22-2008 05:58:03 | More by everetends
Damian

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Drank from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle
Bottled 02/11/08
Served in a tumbler
Acquired in a trade with adamharbaugh

Poured a crystal clear, copper-orange with a tight, foamy, off-white, two-finger head that faded to a lasting cap. Excellent retention. Lots of sudsy looking lacing trickled down the glass and lasted long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was hoppy and fruity with a noticeable toasted malt sweetness. As the beer warmed, the orangey, citrusy-ness of the hops really came out. A touch of brown sugar was perceivable as well.

The taste was similar to the aroma but perhaps a bit more forward. Hoppy and fruity with a stiff malt backbone. Semi-sweet initially, with creamy, rich, caramel malts appearing up front. Ever so quietly, the malts ushered in a blanket of juicy hops. The hops were quite citrusy and a touch spicy. This citrus-like, candied orange quality intensified greatly as the beer warmed. The semi-piney/grapefruity finish provided an unexpected zing to this seemingly balanced IPA. A bit of alcohol warming was noticeable as well. Notes of caramel malt sweetness lingered in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth with a fine, moderate carbonation. Medium bodied.

This beer was not as extreme as I was anticipating it to be. It was however a well balanced, highly flavorful, dangerously drinkable and incredibly solid all-around brew that is worthy of the praise it receives.

07-11-2008 15:21:55 | More by Damian
Goliath

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a beautiful deep amber color with an nich of slightly yellowed head. Good retention and some fine lacing.

The aroma is delicous. A great hoppiness showing some nice citrus notes. A little sweetness in there too.

Taste is very nice. A good hoppiness showing a great citrus quality. Well balanced and very pleasing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice carbonation tingle.

Drinkability is fairly high. Easy to consume, great flavor, and moderate alcohol all combine to make a great beer.

07-11-2008 03:23:16 | More by Goliath
SQNfan

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

This poured a light copper in color with a medium fluffy head of fine white bubbles. Aromas were of herbs followed by citrus and finishing with a bunch of sweet caramel. In the mouth it is meidum-bodied and well-balanced with balancing malt in the midpalate which fades toward hops in the dry and bitter finish.

06-26-2008 23:33:04 | More by SQNfan
Timmush

Finally....
Finally I got my hands on some of this. I had the opportunity to buy some at OAK TREE months ago and passed, I have regretted that ever since. Luckily I had a friend on the lookout for it and he picked it up at a bar. I got 2 six's of it and want more.
This tastes like a Pale Ale / medium bodied, with an orange color. There is a mix of of hops, and citrus, and floral overtones. Most prevelant is the HOPS and the grapefruit taste. To me it is a cross between Sierra Nevade Pale Ale and Hop Devil. Very Good.

06-24-2008 22:49:57 | More by Timmush
Med

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a lovely crystal clear deep amber with a nice two finger creamy off white head that never completely goes away and leaves nice lacing. Hops are very much at the forefront. Lots of citrus and a fair amount of floral notes. No perceivable alcohol but some of the sweet malt comes through (but just a bit). Taste follows the aroma with plenty of hops, but this really is an imperial amber, not an IPA, and the malts come through bold and slightly sweet. Finish is just bitter enough and stays right on the tongue. Mouth is medium creamy and has very pleasant carbonation. I love this beer. I'm glad they don't make it year 'round because I might not buy much else. I can't wait until next year!

06-24-2008 00:21:40 | More by Med
punkindrublic50

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Speaking as someone who doesn't normally care for hoppy beers Nugget Nectar is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it to beer drinkers everywhere. Tastes pretty much like what the picture on the bottle shows - like someone managed to squeeze all of the oily essence out of some hops and bottle it up. Somehow not overpowering while maintaining its intensity, a hint of citrus from the hops used and a creamy texture add up to a brew I cant wait to have more of in the future!

06-18-2008 21:09:30 | More by punkindrublic50
johannasclimacus

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

I finally tried my one bottle of Nugget Nectar that I have been saving from a mix-six pack that I split with a friend. I was worried that between how hyped I was from reading about Nugget Nectar online and how long I had been waiting to try my one bottle that I would expect too much and be disappointed.

Well, I was wrong. This is truly an exceptional beer. The look is a pretty amber with an orange tint, and the taste is what really impresses me (as it should!). Troegs has done a wonderful job of working the hops into a very strong taste presence but yet avoiding the overpowering taste of hops that goes with other examples of the style. I also picked up a good bit of citrusy smells and tastes.

The drinkability of this is insanely high for a 7.5 beer. If I am lucky enough to get more soon, it will be something I have to watch out for, as I can see myself easily putting down several of these in a row. My only regret is that it was the only bottle of this that I had.

06-18-2008 15:45:31 | More by johannasclimacus
tdrshayden

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Deep Orange, puffy white head that clings to the glass. Faint malty aroma but with a ton of citrusy hops. Creamy, almost delicate hop flavor, while still being very hoppy and bitter. Good malt backing, mild spiciness on the finish lasting well into the aftertaste. Medium bodied, awesome beer!

06-16-2008 19:18:35 | More by tdrshayden
corey0212

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to yaddy44 for this!

Pours a slightly hazed amber/orange color, minimal head and lacing. Smell is an amazing bouquet (yeah, I just said bouquet) of citrusy hops. Taste is just brilliantly hoppy, crazy juicy citrus notes, some great bitterness on the back end. Good mouthfeel, really pretty refreshing and crisp. This is my second bottle of this...I've got one left, and I'll be actively searching out more. If this was available locally, I'd have it in my fridge all the time. One of the more enjoyable beers I've had.

06-14-2008 01:28:08 | More by corey0212
Scrumtralecent

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Poured into a pint glass a very dark amber/orange. Quite clear with a soft white head that left some lacing along the glass as it disappeared. I really enjoy the look of this, seems like a very refreshing beer just from sight.

S: I feel like a mixture of grains and hops come pouring out of this smell with very little to stand up to it. Very profound nose to this and gives this beer alot of character along with the appearance.

T: The taste does not disappoint. The bitter hops hit first and smooth out with the maltier side. Very wonderful combo of red ale meets imperial ipa. Brings that hoppy attitude you find at the beginning of iipa's, but then smooths it out into a refreshing red ale in the end.

F: Feel is medium with the carbonation playing the biggest part in the feel. The carbonation will dance on the tongue for as long as you let it, giving the hops some more bite if you so desire. Goes down very smooth. Overall, a good feel.

D: This beer is one I could have multiples of, especially on a day like today after work. Right from the pour it looks refreshing and the taste will not only refresh, but also keep you interested. I would seek this beer out again.

06-11-2008 23:34:16 | More by Scrumtralecent
Matty1918

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this sample.

Pours a nice golden amber color with a nice white head that diminishes too quickly.

Nice aroma of citrus and mild spice.

A great tasting first sip. Mild spice up front with a nice bitter hop bite...grapefruit is there. A light buttery taste is there towards the end and then finshes with the hops at the end.

Great drinking ale....wish I could get more.

06-10-2008 21:31:19 | More by Matty1918
nrbw23

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Pours a nice clear amber copper color with a white head that had decent retention and left some nice spotty lacing.

S- Nice piney hop smell to this one also could pick up some sweet malts and some floral earthy notes as well. Smells very nice.

T- Nice very nice some citrus from grapefruit to piney hops, also some caramel malts. Overall this is wonderful brew and well balanced. Taste pretty close to an IPA but just a little different a lot of hops.

M- Light to medium in body probably closer to medium. Good carbonation.

D- Incredible. Very nice I wish I could pick these up in Ohio.

06-10-2008 08:38:51 | More by nrbw23
gunnerman

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Recieved from Ron at Vintage Estate in Youngstown Oh, on my last vist there. Poured this awesome beer into a pint glass. Poures a amber color with a serious fluffy foamy pink head that leaves some nice thick fat lace on the glass. Smell is very piny and earthy with hints of summer breeze, herbal flowers. Taste is right on cue with a hoppy fluffy bitterness, sweet honey like taste with a mouth watering finish, the resin stayed for a while on my tongue. This was my first offering from Troegs and what an amazing product this is one the finest crafted brews I have had in a while.

06-09-2008 22:19:46 | More by gunnerman
Murchmac

Thanks Beertruth, truth is beer.

This beer has probably lost a lot of its charm, but its still fantastic.

Pours a cloudy reddish/orange, has the look of DAA (Double American Amber)

Cant smell much on this beer right now. Thats probably a casulty of it being old. It has hints of sweet malt and citrusy hops.

This beer tastes amazing, it probably has lost a little of its bite. But again, sweet malt, nice hop count. Bitter, stinging Orangey, very good. I bet this fresh is amazing.

Lingering sweet aftertaste.

Great beer, good times. Get this one fresh, it's still good now though. Kinda like Curt Schilling.

06-09-2008 04:16:36 | More by Murchmac
BamaBeerBuff

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

A: An orange-copper with a thick, creamy orange tinted head that retains nicely and leaves some thick lacing on the glass. Very impressive appearance.

S: Rich grapefruit hop aroma with notes of floral and herbal hops, as well. Believe it or not, some caramel malts are present, as well.

T&M: Rich floral, herbal hop aromas complemented nicely by some citrusy grapefruit flavors. A nice underlying smooth maltiness allows the hops to shine through whilst still maintaining a semblance of balance. Body is medium with a decent carbonation that works well. The finish is somewhat sticky and pleasant.

D: Despite the higher ABV, I'm giving this a 5. Nugget Nectar is a hop bomb, but I sucked this one down in under 5 minutes. It's just so delicious and not overpoweringly bitter that nothing under a 5 would suffice for a drinkability score.

06-09-2008 01:54:42 | More by BamaBeerBuff