Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of newtonty via a DLD trade.

Hazy orange pour, indeed nectary

Hops on the nose, pineapple juice and fresh ripe pear. Nice.

Ripe fruit on the tongue, again with the pear, but there's more here. Really vibrant: peach, nectarine, and oddly some perfume quality, followed by a malty punch and back of the mouth bitterness to finish her off.

Multi faceted beer starts a bit thin, rolls thickish and creamy, and finishes bitter clean, but a bit watery.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to drink this. While it may not stand up to some big IPA's , this beer stands strong in its style and is a treat.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks goes out to DoctorDog for this one in our trade!
12oz Bottle

A: Hazy amber orange with a sand colored head, about a quarter of an inch or so, and it's hanging in there nicely. Excellent big gobs of lacing. Really a nice looking amber.

S: Big smack of dank hops, citrus, earth, pine, "herbal" as well. In fact, not a whole lot else, just a big ol' load of hops. Very nice.

T: Big time hops, citrus rind just sticks to my mouth, also a really nice roasted flavor to it too, like a roasty IPA. Caramel malt stands out a lot more in the mouth than in the nose. Quite bitter, but not overwhelming. Lots of good flavors going on. Really reminds me of an IPA, but with a little more of a roasted feel to it. Very nice.

M: A little thinner than I had expected, medium carbonation, nice dry finish, and a hint of alcohol heat.

D: Not too shabby, I'd probably open another bottle if it were available. Tasty beer all around. I'll have to trade for this one again.

Thanks Ben!

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Had on tap at Magnolia's in Purcellville, VA

A - Reddish-gold body beneath a slightly yellowish 2-finger head. Head subsides to mere thin lacing but leaves a nice film on the glass.

S - Wonderful floral hop smell with some sweet candy sugar lemony smell. I had this beer last night and I can still smell it in my nose. Such a great smell.

T&M - Senses are hit immediately with the bouquet of floral hops. The hops are very foreward and prominent but not bitter like an IPA. It's quite amazing. Lemon zest adds some sweetness and it's like drinking a hops iced tea. Incredibly smooth and moderately carbonated to add some crispness. Alcohol becomes a bit slick as it warms but the alcohol taste never becomes all that noticeable.

D - I could drink these all night, literally. Like drinking hop juice that never becomes overly bitter or cloying.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

So, after enjoying Hopback, reading on the Troegs website that this was based on Hopback, and two reccommendations (one from a random dude at a liqour store which didn't have Nugget Nectar in stock, and one from a guy who worked at another store saying it was one of his favorites), I've got high hopes for this bastard. (My bias has been duly noted, and if I'm let down, I'm totally slamming this thing. Kay?)

Printed on the glass it tells me it was bottled on 2/17/09, and the bright orange label says Imperial Amber Nugget Nectar, 7.5% ABV, and short description on the neck that tells me it's "93ish I.B.U.'s". It's also, like all their beers, Handcrafted by the Troegs Brothers. Troegs disappoints me with their lack of gratuitous information (I like big paragraphs hyping the beer!), but the artwork is to die for. The first guy mentioned above described it as a hand holding a hop like a hand grenade, and I see that now (very Green Day), but I just thought it was a hand squeezing a hop. Either way, I love it.

Okay, down to business. The color is burnt orange in the glass with a sticky, bright white head--the color contrast is surprising and alluring. Big soap bubbles comprise the good size head, but it's not over-the-rim large. Very quick to dissipate, though.

The aroma is of earth and oranges. Very floral. Hoppy to its heart, but not in an overpowering way. "Nectar" IS a great word to describe it.

That is... that is good, smooth, tangerine (you may WTF? now). For what I thought might easily end up a hopbomb, that was well played. The flavor is extremely resinous and hoppy, sweet citrus taking the lead. The malt is definitely present and there's a mild caramel flavor, but it's riding along like a backseat driver, only hoping to have some influence. But in the end, without much bitterness or astringency, the hops smack the malts in the face and say "Shut yo' mouth."

The carbonation is light and smooth. No tingling or prickling, just a good effervescence. Big enough in the mouth to make a beverage out of it, but thin enough to make it go down like water (The ABV? What ABV?).

I crawled across two state lines on hands and knees to get a hold of this, and I slithered my way back before I drank it. Was it worth it? You bet your ass! (And I think I'm gonna go back and get some more very shortly....)

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer pours an amber body with a small white head.

Nose hits you immediately with a huge fresh citrus resin hop smell. There's some light caramel sweetness in the background, but this puppy SCREAMS citrus, grapefruit and resnin.

Taste is medium bodied with an immediate hop slam of a taste. The maltiness of the beer does have a distinct amber/red, sweet tinge too it, unlike some of the other huge caramel hop killers out there, but... almost immediately you're attacked with a bitter citrus hop taste. It's very fresh, and citrusy, and tons of grapefruit peel, lime juice, lime peel, but very encompassing. There's some dry, fireplace brick sort of granite taste in there with the malt. Bitterness is kept right up front and completely dominates over the malt. Although, I must say this isn't a palate killer. Over the top, but not completely. Ends with a long lingering grapefruit bitterness.

Quite an interesting beer. I understand what they're trying to go with, HOPS, HOPS and more HOPS. If that's all you want, this is the beer for you. I just felt it was a bit out of balance. Good beer though.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a deep amber with orange hues giving way to the foamy off white head packed with dense carbonation bubbles and maintaining its retention for quite a few minutes before giving way to a sticky off white lacing.

Big pine and floral hop aroma with notes of citrus to follow. As advertised, this really is a bouquet of hops. The light wood/pine scents become even more pronounced as time passes.

The palate offers a pleasant trifecta of hops with just the right bite, most noticeable are the pine and citrus flavors with compliments of lemon zest or grapefruit and a sweet finish of caramel as the brew warms a bit exposing additional flavor character.

Dry and smooth, great flavor that although its primary characteristics all involve hops, is still not overwhelming to the non-hophead. Medium in body with a noticeable carbonation and just a bit of a kick on the back of the throat.

What a great brew, glad I saved a few for the summer months ahead to enjoy with any variety of foods but instantly seafoods, spicy chicken, and white pasta dishes come to mind. This beer is much more aggressive than your traditional American Amber Ale, primarily in aroma, but perhaps in flavor as well. With that said, the category seems fairly broad in my opinion and this certainly is a winner within it, just perhaps hard to compare to some of its more subdued brethren.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz poured thrice into pint glass

A sleeping giant

A - not as ruby as expected thin head layer stays consistant throughout
S - beautiful citrus with a slight peachy or canteloupe fragrance
T - the trio of hops is perfection not overwhelming
M - silky smooth
D - if only there was a higher rating than 5.0

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Been looking forward to trying this beer for a while. I've heard countless good things about it, so I junmped at the chance to get it when I saw it at my liquor store. Poured from a 1 pint, 6 oz bottle into a glass in two parts. Beer was an amber to golden color with no haze and no head. Aroma was piney upfront, but there were caramel and vanilla notes to balance the scent. Taste follows what you would expect from the aroma. Pine and citrus notes hit upfront from the hops. This is balanced nicely with the caramel and vanilla notes, with give a nice sweetness. The finish is nice and clean considering how strong the pine flavor of the hops is upfront. The mouthfeel is medium with a nice bite from the sharp carbonation. Drinkability is good as the beer has good flavor and a clean finish. The higher than average ABV could be a problem for having more than a couple though.

Overall, a tasty amber ale. Enjoyable and definitely worth the effort.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle.

Buying one case of this simply wasn't enough for satisfy me, next year, I'll have to buy an additional.

Poured a gorgeous opaque amber. The head was a dark eggshell white, but billowed upward like a smoke stack on a calm day.

The nose was extremely easy to pick up, and I could smell it a good distance a way. Consisted of pine, citrus, and lemongrass.

Tasting this was a beer-drinking journey, the variety of hops all showed themselves fully and complimented each other, without making the beer overly hoppy. It had an intriguing hint of sweetness at the end, but the hops gave it a clean, and quenching finish. Flavors consisted of pine, lemongrass, orange rind with some grapefruit, and a nice touch of sweet malt and caramel.

Had a decent amount of carbonation, and although quite richy, felt light and enjoyable on the palette.

As for drinkability, I just couldn't get enough, a bit strong to be a session beer, but enjoying it responsibility for and entire evening was a delightful task.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Got on trade from Joeynocturnum, thanks a lot man!

Pours orange and has nice lacing and decent head. Smells very good, with a fresh hop smell.

We had this at a tasting during the UFC fights and we had tried a few IPA's, on taste I found this beer to have a faint peach flavor to it which I really liked. A few other people also found the peach flavor while others didn't.

MF and drink are very good and I could have a few of these if I could find them. Went ona recent trip to MD and sadly I couldn't find it anywhere. :(

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle says 08 on the bottom.

A- Amber/golden. Thin layer of bright white head. Sloppy lacing on the glass.

S- Slight hop bitterness.. then a grape/cherry type of sweet fruit some malt characteristics.

T- Piney and strong hop bitterness up front. Nice malt balance as well. Dry finish. Very refreshing brew.

M- Medium/thick bodied. Almost creamy type texture. Dry finish on the palate.

D- Great balance, finish and body. Easy drinker for the hop head in you.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Acquired through a combined trade.

Dark amber in color with bisibly light carbonation and a thin bone whit lacey head.

Sweet hoppy aroma with a syrupy fruit smell.

Tastes of citrus and malt. Very sweet. Bitter on the back on the tongue.

Smooth mouthfeel but slightly sticky and forced oilyness.

Good drinkability if it was local. But due to it's difficult availability in NorCal and how it is valued comapared to other good Hoppy brews I think I will go with other local options.
I don't think I will trade for it again, but it would be a nice option.

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Pours a wonderful deep dark orange with an off white head. Good lacing and semi-unfiltered

S - Obviously hops are up front, but not too bitter. There is a slight faint sweetness in the background that might be helping mellow out the hop aroma a bit.

T - Tastes of super fresh hops, a little bit citrus, but mostly bitter...but not dry your mouth out bitter. In the middle of the beer is the "amber" flavor and it finishes out a little piney with a slight citrus fruit.

M/D - An average amount of carbonation with a medium body. The beer isn't too dry, nor too smooth. Very drinkable given the 7.5% alcohol (not too much, not too little).

One of the best beers I've had in terms of hop flavor and freshness/crispness of the hops. The hop profile is phenomenal!

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

100th review today. Celebrating with this little number that was graciously sent to me by Hophead101. Thank you very much for your kindness Greg.

A: Nice hazy reddish amber. Lighter and more orange toward the bottom with some carbonation bubbles sticking to the bottom of the glass. A frothy, creamy off-white head. The head reduces but sticks around. Lacing is really nice.

S: Lovely. Reminds me of the Hop Slam I had last night. Grapefruit but with a hint of pine. Caramel malt coming through in the background.

T: Wow. I love this beer. Instant piney bite, goes into some grapefruit and caramel sweetness and settles into the finish and aftertaste with a more bready malt but retains the dry bitter hop which keeps the palate wanting more. Just got tastier and tastier as the drink went on. I was sad when it ended. Delicious.

M: Amazingly smooth. Feels slick and buttery as it slips down. Medium light body. Medium carbonation that adds interest without getting in the way. Perfect.

D: Interesting brew. It's an Indian Amber Ale of sorts. I like the balance of malt and it's definitely not sacrificing the hops. I wish more breweries would take Ambers to this very happy place. If I could get this beer easily, I would drink it all of the time. Nuff said.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a RB Oregonic Amber pint glass

A - Pours a gorgeous orange-amber with one finger of head. Foam sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Wonderfly fragrant, floral, this one assaults your nose

T - Awesome bitter kicks you in the teeth, then a sweet maltiness rounds out the beer. Hop aftertaste lingers - this is unbalanced on the side of hoppiness, but in a good way

M - Pleasant fizziness, bitter taste lingers on the tongue

D - I would drink this all day every day if I could.

One of my favorite beers. It's a shame this is my last bottle of the season.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours orangish/gold in color with a white fluffy head into my nonic. Citrus/hoppy on the nose with some malts in there as well. Tastes like it smells, citrus/hops. Good carbonation and light on mouthfeel, perfect for this style of beer. I would 100% revisit this beer if given the chance over and over again. Hopefully, I'll obtain some more.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Amber gold body, very citrusy at first. Foam isnt a big eye pleaser in this brew.

Floral hoppy aroma with a sweet malty kick. Pretty darn good smelling beer.

Very hoppy taste with a malty any citrusy body. Grapefruit and pine also on my palate. Great tasting and almost sets the bar for a great american red amber ale.

Great carbonation going on and very sweet, bitter and malty. Great beer over all. If you get a chance to have one of these bad lary's be prepared to wan't more.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving: Tap (Also have bombers)

A: Beautiful amber/orange-gold. Thin lacing, very little head, perhaps 1/4".

S: Hops! Big citrus notes, lemony, pine as well but not as pronounced. A bit of bread on the backbone.

T: Wow! Great variation of what Troegs calls an American Red Ale. More like a nice nitche between an Ipa and a Dipa. Taste was remeniscent of the smell, hoppy without much spice, very little malt presence.

M: Carbonation was nothing special, as I find it quite trivial 90% of the time to even mention it. So long as it is not either missing or overly there I am happy.

D: Well, being that I had 6 or 7 from the tap over the course of 2 hours I'd give it a 5.

Seek this out and try it.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Here's my two cents.
I bought a 22oz bottle and poured into a tall weisse beer glass. It had a nice, clear, orange-copper color appearance.

A nice aroma of hops and when I first tasted the beer, I felt an explosion of hops on my tongue. The aftertaste was like tasting grapefruit and it does not linger.

I loved it and went back to buy another. Its a seasonal beer so I would grab as many as possible.

Year after year its always an outstanding beer. first review was april 2009

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle thanks to drgonzo3705, thanks Paul! Pours a murky amber color with a small lasting 1 finger head. I could pick up citrus, pine and a lot of malt. This was a classic amber ale on steroids. I enjoyed the hop profile up front but I felt that the malts overpowered the beer. I would love to try this one fresh as it has a lot of potential. Despite the aforementioned problem for me I had no problem finishing my glass. I will re-rate when I get a fresh bottle next year.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Received in a trade with WkndatBernardus. Great choice. I lived in Philly for 2 years and never tried this beer. Unbelievable.

Nugget Nectar is a bright reddish orange copper color, almost glowing. Nose is very fruit forward and a lot of malt is evident. Definitely some hops there, but smell is more sweet than bitter. Taste is bitter, with the hops becoming more evident. There is a slight English Breakfast tea flavor that I always find in Red Ales. I tend to find it annoying/overpowering, but I liked the subtlety in this beer. Good balance of citrus and hops.

This is good stuff though I (and I reserve the right to try again) am not sure it ranks up there with the elite. I may have done this beer a disservice, drinking it with friends after a couple of DIPAs, so I may be at fault for not absolutely loving this beer. It wouldn't be the first time....

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A-Bright, light copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Fresh, bright citrusy and floral hops with a balancing touch of malt sweetness.

T-Citrus and floral hop goodness comes through strong with the initial taste and continues on strong till the end. A nice underlying malt sweetness balances things out without taking ANYTHING away from the hops.

M-Medium-light body with a sharp, crisp and smooth feel. Good lingering hop bitterness.

D-A yearly favorite when it gets released. A fresh bottle of Nugget Nectar is NEVER a bad thing. I can drink this till the cows come home!

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Holy shit. Everyone needs to stop whatever they are doing and go out and drink this. I don't care how important you think whatever it is that you're doing is; it isn't as important as drinking this.

Pours a orange amber color with thin cap of white head, leaves a lacing on around the glass.

Smells like piney hops and citrus.

It was refreshing, very crisp and clean taste. Went down smooth.

I've never tasted anything so delicous. My wife was the one who bought it, I told her if she didn't like it I'd drink it for her. She let me have a sip. I quickly drank down my porter and ordered a Nectar. So damn good.

The bartender lady described it to another patron as "hoppy and bitter." Bite me bar-tender-lady; you made it taste like you fished it out of the toilet tank. This brilliant effort from Troegs makes me wonder why I haven't tried anything from them before.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to lionking for getting this one to me.

A - Pours golden orange with a nice foamy white head that leaves a lacing around the glass.

S - Piny floral hops are first and foremost. A smidge of malt balance.

T - It's not a slap in the face with the hops but it's there. A little grassy and citrus. Very crisp and clean finish. Very mild malt. Overall really good.

M - Medium body with plenty of carbonation.

D - If I could go in to any store and get this, it would be an all summer long beer. The 7.5 doesn't present a problem at all.

This is a fantastic beer. I really wish I could get it without trading. And if you can get it with no problem I don't mind sending you something that I can get with no problem. Great beer. I'd put it up there with the Huma Lupa. That's pretty much all there is to say.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Poured a medium amber color with moderate carbonation that produced a slightly off white head. Good retention with web like lacing.

S- A strong combination of blooming hops and citrus. Bold hop aromas that transcended the fruity nose of orange,lemon peel.

T- Bold bitter hop taste with fruity notes of orange. Seemed to be a light alcohol ascending into a much bolder flavor. Good aftertaste that was piney and smooth.

M/D- Medium bodied floral hoppiness that gave a wonderful velvet mouthfeel.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company