Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the opportunity to try this one.

A- Pours copper with a 1" white head. Good retention, but settles down to a persistent film. Great lacing. Some carbonation evident. The beer is completely transparent.

S- Not as strong of a smell as I would like. Citrus and pine hops dominate, with sweet malts in the background.

T- Citric and pine hop flavor up front. The beer has enough sweet malts to have perfect balance. It's not too sweet and not too bitter either. Very, very good.

M- Medium body with ample carbonation. A little lighter than I expected from an "Imperial" beer. Really smooth going down.

D- I could drink this beer all day. Drinking one just makes you want more. I think I'm gonna make this beer a perma-want. The six pack he sent me went far too quickly.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Pours a very nice coppery/caramel color. White head floats on the surface, nice rentention.

S - Strong scents of pine, undertones of grapefruit.

T - Up front taste of grapefruit, very juicy. Malt mixes nicely and sweetens the deal. Bit of piney aftertaste.

M - Rolls nicely. Very smooth, not thin, but not thick.

D - Very pleasant to kick back a few of these. Wish I had easy access to this stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I've had this brew many many time before, and just decided to review it tonight, on the fly.

Poured with some nice glugs, NN musters up a nice, 1 finger off white head, and has a dark amber color body. Carb creeps up the side of the glass giving it a nice effect. The head lowers to a layering on top of the brew, and leaves some nice lacing as I take my first sip.

The nose on this brew is pretty good. Some piney hops and a small small amount of citrus in the background.

The taste is where it is at! The hops mingle soooo nicely with the great malt backbone of this imperial amber. Has a malty sweetness to the finish, which works great for the style. The bittering hops stay with you for a minute after you set the glass down. Yum...

The feel for this beer is nice and creamy. It has a really nice body. It could use a tinge more of carb, but I'm not complaining.

I could drink these all night long, and thankfully, I have another in the fridge...

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into a tall highball-style cocktail glass compliments of the hotel where I'm consuming this in my room.

Very nice brown/red/golden color with a bubbly, white, two-finger head that clings for life as it subsides.

Aroma - yes, I smell hops. Massive hops. It's hard to describe what I smell. Sweet, pine, and resin all come to mind. Regardless, I like it.

The taste has an interesting flat finish that lingers with nothing appealing about it. I'm getting hit up front with the hops as I take the sip and then everything just falls off the table as it slides down my throat.

The taste is a real let down coming off the amazing hop aroma.

I wonder if I got a hold of a bad batch here in SW Ohio as I'm in the minority on this one.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a very Hoppy ale has a great taste and good finish. The apperance is nice and golden has a great light foamy head. Taste is of apricot and a bit fruity with a nice hoppy aftertaste and finish. Smell is of citrus and fuit notes. Overall a good beer i tend to go back to this in the spring time when i want a lighter beer

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle at La Cave Du Vin, Cleveland Heights

poured into a standard pint glass

a: a nice amber/red color. Silky 1/4" head with very nice retention. Lace rings around my glass as I drink

s: nice citrus hop aroma hint of some malt

t: citrus hop dominates, slightly grapefruity. Well balnaced with malts on the finish.

m&d: medium to full bodied, decent carbonation lightens the mouth. Very drinkable brew

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

My 100th Review!

A: A nice clear orange with a thin, lacy white head.

S: Strong hop smell that resonates lychee and tropical fruit sweetness. Kind of like the smell of lychee jellies that you buy at an Asian supermarket.

T: Overall bitter hoppiness is very strong throughout. The label tells me that this is a result of the "Trifecta of Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk Hops." The taste imbues notes of grapefruit, white grape /peach juice, and a strange smoky creaminess that hits at the very end.

M: Juicy and refreshing. Active carbonation, but not overwhelming.

D: Good drinkability. Does it deserve to be on the BA Top 100 though? I think probably not. There are a lot of great highly-hopped brews out there, and this one doesn't seem to stick out in any special way over the other brews.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

I almost feel bad that I rated this beer so high, like I was taken advantage of. But it really is that good!

Appearance is perfect in my book. Clear amber/copper color with a two finger off white head that stays. The lacing hangs on forever too.

The smell is grape fruity hops, but not horribly strong. I took time just smelling this beer far more than I have any other.

The hops are totally up front in the taste, but not to the point that they over whelm. The hop profile is grapefruity, but it doesn't taste like a glass of grape fruit juice like some hop bombs. The malt is there, its subdued, but not hidden.

I actually expected, with all the hype, to be let down by Nugget Nectar. I can honestly say this beer is everything its said to be.

Edit: Beer reviewed was my first of NN. After two six packs I am less blown away by the taste. Still a great beer, but I needed to update my review. I took taste from 4.5 to 4. The reason I did so was that the more time I spent with this beer the more I learned that it was a tad one dimensional.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice deep copper color with an off white head that held little retention. Despite little head retention, it left behind generous amount of thin lace. Nose is of big citrusy hop. I also picked up hints of tangerine, sweet malt, and roasted malt. Taste is of citrusy hops - grapefruit, orange, mango, that are blended well in to a bit of caramel malts and a touch of roasted malt. This beer is extremely well blended from start to finish. Mouthfeel is medium body, medium carbonation. This is a very crisp and clean beer and goes down VERY easily! This is definitely a keeper!

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to HogTownHarry for sending this over via biegaman, much appreciated. Poured an amber-orange with minimal head, slight ring, low carbonation. The nose was truly delightful with lively orange marmalade and sweet apricot. Big hops dominate in the mouth with high bitterness and just enough malt on the swallow to provide balance. Wonderful. The label mentions Nugget, Warrier and Tomahawk hops but I know there is more than that in this brew, all of it nicely put together for maximum affect, a friendly assault on the taste buds. Considering just how highly hopped and bitter (93 IBU's) this is, it's remarkably drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled@home

Thanks to ba Traquairlover for including this as a bonus in our trade!

A: Golden copper with huge head and lots of lacing.

S: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Caramel, Pine.

T: Grapefruit, Apricot, Grass, Toffee, Hops, Caramel.

M: Massive attack of hops upfront that is nicely balanced out with a healthy dose of sweet malt. Very very balanced!

I must thank Tröegs for making this lovely beer and making a mediocre saturday night into a really good one. This is hopjuice at its finest.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours to an off-white two finger creamy head. The head disappears after a few minutes. The body has a translucent deep amber color. As you sip this excellent hoppy ale, the lacing residue leaves rings around the glass letting you know where you have been in this wonderful experience.

As you near the glass for your first sip you immediately smell the citrusy hops wafting from the glass. There's some bitterness but not biting or overpowering. It has a good balance and lasting flavor. Troegs has an excellent beer here, it's just too bad that it' is seasonal so most likely will you not be able to find it year round.

Definitely one worth trying again and again.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Another bottle courtesy of Corby112.

Pours a light amber into my pilsner glass. Small white head that gradually dissipates, though never fully disappears. A few columns of bubbles rising from the bottom.
Smells very much like a good IPA. Strong scent of hops & pine. Pineapple is present as well.
And it tastes much like an IPA. Hops, little bit of pine, citrus and slight bitterness. Very nice.
Mouth feel is slightly sticky- okay overall.
This is a tasty beer- reminds me a bit of Hopslam- and (unlike Hopslam) I could handle a few of these on any given night. Were it available here in MN, I'd definitely pick up some more.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful crisp and clean amber brown mixed with copper color. Poured aggressively into my pint glass, it produces only a half cm of head, but the lacing is phenomenal. It looks absolutely amazing.

The smell is far hoppier than any amber ale that I have ever experienced. I pegged this one as a higher gravity pale ale, even an IPA when I smelled it. When they called it Nugget Nectar, they knew what they were talking about. The incredible bitter and sweet smells of hops waft up from the beer as it sits in front of me. I want to chew the hops as I smell them. There is a strong hop character there, but it isn't too overwhelming. You can tell there is a nice backbone in here.

The taste is phenomenal. It has been a while since I have tried a beer like this. You get all of the hop flavors that you think you will based on the smell, but you don't get nearly the bitterness. I can really feel every bit of the character that these hops contribute. There is a malty presence in the background that mellows the hop bitterness perfectly.

The entire experience was phenomenal. Wow.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a nice golden amber with a big fluffy uneven head. Stellar retention; reduced to about 3/8 of an inch and stayed there until the last drop. Nice patchy lacing.
Hop aroma is insanely citric. Smells like a fresh peeled grapefruit. A touch of pine in there too.
Taste is soft and citrus fruity. Hops are dominant, but not too harsh or biting at all. Pretty smooth and rounded. Malt is a bit thin, could use a little more flavor in that department. There is however a mild sugary sweetness that fights its way through. Long bitter hop finish. The fairly hefty ABV is well blended and barely perceptible.
Feel is nice and smooth. Medium body.
A nicely drinkable choice if I'm in the mood for something hoppy. One of the better hop-heavy beers I've tried without question.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle, dated Dec-ish, 2008.

A: Crystal clear burnt reddish gold. Pours up with a 1/2" cap of tight bubbles. Little glops of lacing on the way down.

S: Pow! Hops! Citrus, pineapple...really invigorating, really.

T/M/D: Starts out nicely slick. Entry of malt sweetness quickly transitions to oily/citrus-rind hops, and ends with a pleasant bitterness. Dry finish. Pleasant weight on the tongue, feels as good as it tastes. Exceptional.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a tawny, burnt orange color with an awesome fluffy, white head that's leaves great lace. The smell is such a great mix of hops and malt. It smells like a super malty IPA and tastes like that too. It has a fresh hop bite followed by a rich maltiness that smoothens it out. It's got a great aftertaste. Definitely a great beer bit in my opinion it is a bit overrated. Still effing awesome.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

22oz brown glass pry-top with no date. Picked this up on my recent trip to Wine Gallery Brookline (MA).

Appearance: A clear, medium brown with hints of red around the edges. The head is mostly white, recedes quickly, but leaves a little lacing.

Nose: Caramel malt, pine nettle, sweet grapefruit, and maybe fig?

Palate: Medium to light carbonation, medium bodied. There's some round caramel malt sweetness up front, but the hop bitterness creeps right in and is prickly on the tongue. It's a little boozy, but in a dry, prickly way, not a sweet way. Flavors are similar to the aromas, with sweet lemon on the midpalate, and very dry on the finish. The finish is dry and long, but focused on the dried leaves and pine needle notes.

Notes: This is a seriously tasty beer for the money. Glad to see it comes in affordable 6 packs. I could definitely see sessioning this for a least part of a night without getting sick of it. I just wonder with how dry the finish is, if it might dry my mouth out too much after two or three? Guess I'll just have to find out sometime!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Not the entire contents of the bottle, obviously...

Big, frothy head forms with a hard pour, off-white almost orange tinted. Beer itself is an unusual color... looks almost like a very light pink, maybe. Maybe it's the light in this room, but I'd swear it looks pink...

Smells hoppier than I expected, but with a real sweetness to the hops, as well. I've heard "grapefruit" used to describe hop smells before, maybe I understand now what that means? In any event, definitely some sort of a fruity hop presence in the aroma.

First sip is absolutely delicious. I had to take two more before I could put the beer down to write these thoughts. I thought for sure the use of the word "nectar" was going to be a misnomer, but it really has a delicate sweetness that absolutely merits the name. Looking at the beer in the glass now, it looks less pink but certainly an unusual color, like an ultra-light copper. The odd thing about this beer is that despite the hops, it really doesn't taste bitter to me, just flavorful and well-balanced. And delicious. Just realized, too, that I'm not even getting a hint of alcohol.

Feels about right in the mouth -- slightly heavier in the carbonation than some other beers, but not too much. Good body. I could definitely seeing drinking more than a few of these -- or, I could if they were cheaper or I made more money.

Pleasantly surprised by this beer, will definitely make all my friends try it next time I have some sort of a tasting. I'd recommend this to anyone (well, just about...). This has been my first experience with Tröegs, but it probably won't be the last.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Nothing beats beer with lunch on a weekday. Amber color, clear with a floral hoppy nose. Taste is outstanding. Similar to Stone IPA (which is a personal fave) but with better balance, malty sweet. Mouth-wateringly delicious. Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and finishes dry. Drinkability is fantastic and the ABV is hidden quite well.

On tap this is an absolute gem and I finally get what all the rage is about!

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on cask last night at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway event, immediately following HopSlam. Tough act to follow, but I think Nugget Nectar held up quite well. Hazy copper with basically no head. Smelled fantastic. Amazing hop freshness, as with the HopSlam, but this had a little more malt balance. Tasted wonderful. I might enjoy this beer more every time I have it, and drinking it from a cask was definitely an experience. So amazingly fresh, so pure hops, so sweet malt, so well balanced. Not sure if there was a fault in this one. Thick but not too thick, very silky with no carbonation, strong but no noticeable alcohol. This is a perfectly tamed beast. It's the porridge that's just right. Some people might prefer HopSlam for it's more extreme bitterness. But I personally prefer the perfect balance that Nugget Nectar brings.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle

A - A translucent reddish orange with a fairly thin head that goes away quickly, leaving only a little bit of foam on top.

S - Very hoppy, almost piney floral aroma. One of the strongest smelling beers I've had. Also slightly sugary/fruity on the nose.

T - The first couple sips almost knocked me over with their hoppy intensity, but continued drinking mellowed the kick into an interesting resiny sweetness. It's pretty much all hops, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

M - Leaves little aftertaste and doesn't finish dry. A very interesting, clean mouthfeel.

D - After the first vicious sips, this one proves to be quite drinkable. But I don't know if I'd want to drink more than one of this one. Just too hoppy for me.

Overall - This could definitely be a repeat drinker for me. I'm decidedly not a hop head, however. Still, this one was definitely worth a taste; now to wait for the opportune time to try my bottle of Hopslam.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Looks like an amber. redish/brown with a nice little white head that dissapates quickly.

S: A mixture of citrus and sticky/piney hops. there is a nice malt backbone.

T: Very balanced. Again the mixture of citrus and piney hops right away. Then they linger to a very tasty sweetness

M: Smooth. Doesn't over coat your tongue like some big hoppy beers can

D: Dangerously drinkable!!!!

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours an impressive copper, with a very thick cream colored head. Good lacing, nice and clear. It's the "prettiest" beer I've ever poured.

S - Huge citrus hop aroma, some pine in the background. Lemon and oranges. Nice caramel and biscuit malts as well.

T - Hard to describe how good this one is. Huge hop profile, but it doesn't hit with the "rip the enamel off your teeth" acidity as other hop bombs. Gives way to a pure orange/lemon flavor. My favorite part of this beer is the perfect transition to the malts, which is like an orange flavored ginger cookie, but isn't overly sweet. This beer lives up to the hype, and more.

M - About as expected, medium body and carbonation.

D - Easily drinkable due to the balance, very nice beer that doesn't weigh down. Tae taste makes you want to drink a twelve pack.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a Portsmouth Snifter this beer yields the most beautiful amber I have ever seen. A white head sits on top of the glass and leaves a sticky mess around the edges of the glass as an indicator that "NugZ has been here"
Lots of fruit flavors, citrus to begin mostly Grapefruit and Lemon which then leads into some apricot and mango aromas followed by hints of honey.
Hops are very present but so well balanced with malt that I didnt even realize how bitter this beer was until a friend pointed it out. A grapefruit flavor leads the pack followed quickly by a caramel maltyness that complements the initial bitterness perfectly. Alcohol has a slight presence that prevents a perfect 5.
A full body that is perfectly carbonated with a slight syrupy character.
I love this beer. One of my favorites. This is the most impressive beer to grace a six pack that I have ever seen. I just bought a case and when it is gone will lament its loss until next years arrives. This beer is early flawless.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company