Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
Pleepleus

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

WOW! This is great stuff.
Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, a clear amber color with an inch of firm foam head. Smells like a fresh bag of sticky kind buds. Hippitty Hop Hop. Crisp taste of fruity hops that seems to sweeten as it warms. Citrus sweetness clings on the finish. Hardly noticed the 7.5 APV under the hoppy goodness of this "Nectar". I would recommend this to all whether they have ever been a pothead (ahem hophead) or not.

The ONLY bad thing about this beer is that it seems to be seasonal, and when I tried it the season was sadly at it's end. Truly a reason to look forward to next year when I will stockpile it.
Troegs' best by far.

05-03-2008 03:44:38 | More by Pleepleus
Monsone

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Received as winnings from BA Fantasy Football

A - Pours an amber hue with nice frothy head

S - Big hop scents. Pine and citrus, lots of citrus. Some sweet carmel malt in the back.

T - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, pine. Good sweet malt backbone. Slight spiceyness.

M - Medium body with a little bit of hop oilyness

D - Pretty drinkable, more so than I expected.

Overall, just a great beer. I wish I could get this in Chicago.

05-02-2008 17:33:31 | More by Monsone
cjohnson

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Got this as an extra in a trade with Lupe.

Pours a nice, clear orange color with a pretty minimal head.

The nose is full of hops, and also some orangey / citrus smells. Also something like cedar comes through for me.

Pretty hoppy taste, but not as strong as I'd thought it'd be, and certainly not overwhelming (compare to something like Victory's Hop Devil, which is what I thought this might taste like). There is a certain "sappy" taste to it that I'm not overly fond of, and is the only reason I gave this 4.5 instead of 5 for taste.

Medium-bodied, not too carbonated. A little bit sticky feeling. Very drinkable and enjoyable, and something I'd probably drink regularly if I had access to it.

05-01-2008 01:25:32 | More by cjohnson
thickerfreakness

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks go out to HopDerek for this one!

It pours and looks like an average amber ale with a nice one inch head that lasts for about 5 minutes. The smell is almost pure hops, piney, grapefruit, and a little bit of floral hop smell with a little bit of caramel malts sneaking through at the end. Taste is similar to the smell but even more balanced than the smell led me to believe. Nice and hoppy with a respectable caramel malt backbone. I could drink this one all the time. Oh, I also wanted to add that this is definitely one of my favorite labels of all time.

04-30-2008 06:00:39 | More by thickerfreakness
Phillyduke

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

After never being in the right place at the right time, I was finally able to enjoy this on cask at Theresa's Next Door. I sessioned this with the Hopback Amber from a freshly tapped firkin, so I got to taste both of the Troegs amber real ales in one sitting. Even got to talk with Chris Troegner while I was enjoying his wares.

For the most part my review is the same as the bottled and tapped version, but having this on cask really takes it to another level entirely. The head is denser and creamier, and there is absolutely no bite in the taste. The ingredients just seem to meld into this all at once sweet/citrusy/piney/malty/bitter glorious concoction. Lack of artificial carbonation makes the mouthfeel even creamier than the head. Some I was with thought that TND should store their casks separately from their kegs, but I actually preferred the cooler serving temperature, as it made the beer that much more refreshing.

This one's going to be tough to beat if you can find it. I can't think of a better pound-for-pound beer out there right now.

04-28-2008 02:12:46 | More by Phillyduke
m1ked

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Finally got to try the infamous NN.

A- Clear orangey amber with a brief 1/2" white foam head, minimal lacing appreciated.

S- Strong sweet piney resin with a slight amaretto note. Wierd after smell like starchy pasta.

T- Sweet maltiness up front followed by a bitter pineyness. Honey-ish biscuit followed by lingering bitter.

M- Medium bodied, oily.

D- Easy to drink, a very respectable Amber. Unfortuneatly I fell victim to the hype, and was expecting more. I have to guard against that better. By like I said a good beer overall.

04-27-2008 22:42:20 | More by m1ked
hellcatsjg

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Amber beer with a finger of head that sticks around for a few minutes. Layer of foam lasts most of the beer and leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smell: Hops. Nice blend of citrus and piney hops along with a bit of sweet caramel.

Taste: Just like the nose, just not as bold as you would think. Nice complex hop flavor mingles with a back end of caramel and maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly light. Oily hoppy flavor coats the mouth and lingers for a while after the swallow.

Drinkability: Very good beer. While I expected something a bit bigger, this actually helps the beer in this category. Not being overpowering makes this something you can drink several of without feeling full after a couple. Very nice.

04-27-2008 22:08:41 | More by hellcatsjg
0110x011

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Tilley4 for the hookup.

Pours a reddish copper with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly, moderate lacing. Nose is all citrusy hops, with a hint of caramel malt. Taste is similar, with a strong lemony presence, a bit of pine, and caramel. A bit of a bitter kick, but not super strong. Great balance, and very drinkable.

04-26-2008 00:52:06 | More by 0110x011
IronCitySteve

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Drank out of a bottle.

A: A deep copper color, with some reddish hints. Foam head disapated quickly.

S: The floral and citrus hops are very potent but not overpowering.

T: Not overally bitter surprisingly. The hop taste hits you at first sip, but contains a little malty aftertaste. Lots of citrus and floral hops in the middle and on the back end. The caramel and bread malt gives a nice backbone.

M: Extremely smooth, medium body beer

D: I really enjoyed this beer and am looking forward to it coming out next season. One of the best beers all time

04-25-2008 17:55:10 | More by IronCitySteve
Umbra

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Orange brew with sharp white, two-fingered head. Good retention and excellent lacing.
Citrus and piney hops on the nose with some caramel playing in the background--it at least smells well balanced.
Big citrus hops (grapefruit, orange, and lemon), mixed with some piney goodness. Excellently well balanced with a fine malt backbone with enough umph to keep hop bitterness in check.
Even with all the flavors described, i'd still define this brew as light to medium bodied, which leaves the mouthfeel and drinkability off the charts. Carbonation is shy of perfection. Finishes dry, leaving the drinker wanting more.

04-25-2008 14:30:55 | More by Umbra
desertbronze

Idaho

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Got a sixer of this beer in a trade with beerbuddha.

Beautiful light amber color - just a slight haze as is typical with hoppy beers. Pours with a 2 finger head which settles to a thin head with lots of lacing in the glass. Tremendous citrus hop aroma which only whets your appetite for what is to come.

Good caramel malt flavor in the forefront with a hoppy finish. The hop flavor lingers on the tongue after the swallow. Very good balance - hops are dominant but don't overwhelm the malt. Just slightly thin on the mouthfeel - I would prefer a little more body.

Goes down very smoothly for a 7+% beer - it would be real easy to drink several of these. A very good example of a hoppy American style amber ale.

04-25-2008 02:49:59 | More by desertbronze
indiapaleale

4.47/5  rDev +3%

The Nugget Nectar pours a beautiful deep apricot color with a short fluffy head that hugs the glass firmly. Faint islands of foam are left once the head begins to settle down. As for the smell of this stuff..well its almost too good to put into words. Its very sweet, citrusy and bursting with fresh hop goodness. Its like ruby red grapefruit juice mixed with some strong Pacific Northwest hops. I love it. Someone make this into a perfume and give it to my wife.

Taste is sweet, strong with a nice hop bite finish. There is definitely a citrusy tartness but its balanced so well with this malt that its a very balanced beer, even at 7.5%. There is a dryness to this beer but its at the very end after the initial juiciness. Everything about this beer is excellent, in my humble opinion. Its definitely one of my favorites.

Love the brewery. Love the label. Love the look. Love the smell. Love the taste.

04-25-2008 00:35:41 | More by indiapaleale
yoyo

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

This was an exceptionally hoppy beer, but not overly bitter.
The mouthfeel was smooth with a crisp finish.
The smell was outstanding, very green and piney. There was a small one to 1.5 inch head of foam on my 22 ounce glass which disappeared quickly.

04-24-2008 15:59:57 | More by yoyo
trill

Mississippi

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Received via trade from crazymacharris99. Thanks, Jason. '08 edition.

Looks like Alpha King (clear, toffee color, billowy cream head), smells like a bucketful of fresh hops; more grassy, herbal and earthy than bright and citrusy. Very similar to SN Harvest Ale, with a more expansive hop character. Very, very smooth mouthfeel, with a barely noticeable alcohol warmth. Heavy lacing, light wet earth in aroma, faint toasted malt smell. For a big IPA, it's picture-perfect.

04-24-2008 00:07:30 | More by trill
stephen1162

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

If you're a real hophead, you'll love this beer. I like hops, but this beer was a little over the top for me.

The picture on the bottle shows a hand squeezing the flavor from hops. That's pretty close to the taste of this beer.

Glad I tried it, but not really my favorite.

04-23-2008 12:14:20 | More by stephen1162
calebmills

West Virginia

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my ideal drinking beer. Shame its only a seasonal.
Pours orange and smells like hops of course. the taste is exceptional makes me think of actually eating hops with the sticky hop flavor in every drop. This beer is has amazing balance but when you drink it im sure the only think you will pay attention to is the hops. You could enjoy several of these at a time so its the ideal 6 pack to just enjoy whenever you need a hop fix and at over 7% you dont need to "hammer a case" to get your fill. But this isnt a very heavy beer either making it easy to have a few with a meal or with anything else. Love this beer nearly perfect and wont break the bank

04-22-2008 23:14:14 | More by calebmills
Donnie2112

Alaska

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I really liked this one, I'm not the most familiar with this variety of beers. It starts off with sweet malty goodness (think dinner rolls) and caps off with it's delicious citrusy hops. The mouthfeel and sufficiently carbonated, light and with a buttery feel to it as well. So overall kick ass yummy yummy beer.

04-22-2008 20:23:38 | More by Donnie2112
prototypic

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to csmiley for the bottle. I've been waiting to try this one.

Appearance: It pours a copper-amber color (slightly orange looking). Head is white with a touch of orange and about two fingers deep. Retention was good, but not spectacular. It receded a little quicker than I anticipated and left lights sheets of lace behind.

Smell: Hops are readily apparent on the nose. They're bold and piney, but feature some floral and earthy elements, as well. It's an impressive, diverse range in that department. Citrus sweetness is spawned by fragrances of grapefruit and orange. Caramel malts and yeast aromas are present, but mix well. It's impressive.

Taste: Grapefruit and orange citrus flavors are sweet and tasty. There's also some pineapple and lemon flavor there that's not apparent in smell. Hops are every bit as diverse in taste as they are in smell. They are a bit piney yet grassy and earthy. It's difficult to tell which is stronger. It seems pretty even keel to me. I think I'd prefer a little more pine, but I'm not complaining. This is too damn tasty. Caramel/toffee malts are sweet and add a little balance, but it's primarily hoppy and bitter. There is a yeasty taste that remains into the aftertaste. It finishes bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It leans light bodied, but it's knocking on the medium door. Carbonation feels just right. It's smooth and extremely drinkable. At 7.5%, it's tame enough to drink quite a few. At least that's my view of the world.

I must say I'm quite impressed. I had high expectations of Nugget Nectar and it's passed inspection with flying colors. It's a shame Troegs isn't distributed in Ohio. I'd drink this frequently if it were. Highly recommended.

04-22-2008 01:19:34 | More by prototypic
mhewes

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

A : Pours a copper golden color with a thin white head

S : Hop heaven. Extremely hoppy with some pine notes

T : Awesome. Really hoppy but not a hop overload. The perfect balance of the hops make it real smooth.

M : Good carbonation, real smooth

D : Can I get some more? I'm not a hophead but I could drink this one anytime.

04-22-2008 00:26:55 | More by mhewes
auxiliary

Rhode Island

appearance - Copper colored with a small white head.

smell - Citrus, hops, some malt present too.

taste - Sweet, and hoppy. The hops are not over powering hence the picture on the bottle. Has some hints of citrus present too.

mouthfeel - medium body.

drinkability - It was good, I have to stop getting off on the hype with beers. #1 Amber beer on BA, I thought it was alright. Above average beer for me. Worth a try though. It does taste good.

04-21-2008 19:55:57 | More by auxiliary
StonyB

4.6/5  rDev +6%

I discovered this seasonal gem two years ago, and have looked forward to it ever since. Look for the eye-catching label, a bright orange background framing a hand squeezing the juice ("nectar") out of a hop flower. 7.5% ABV listed, and a very faint date of 02/06/08 stamped near the neck.

Appearance - This beer's color is almost as orange as the label, slightly cloudy. One finger of foam, tenacious lacing.

Smell - Hop assault. I'm not good enough at this to differentiate between varieties, but the label indicates Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. Works for me. Some grapefruit for sure, but the hops dominate.

Taste - Yum. Floral and citric hops up front, tart and semi-sweet tangerine and grapefruit follow. A slightly dry yet warming finish. Again the hops are leading the charge, but this is more balanced than you would think.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thick, though not creamy. Tart and citric, but not overly acidic. Strong hop aftertaste, in a good way.

Drinkability - This beauty is dangerously drinkable. Each sip is just as good or even better than the previous one. It's strong and warming, yet you don't really taste the alcohol.

It's probably just as well that Nugget Nectar is seasonal, or I might never buy any other hoppy beers. An excellent beer, a home run by Troegs. Get some.

04-15-2008 22:02:35 | More by StonyB
marcpal

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Just realized I hadnt reviewed this gem- just finishing off this years 2 cases unfortunately.

This one was 12oz poured into weyerbacher tulip.

Poured from 12oz. bottle into tulip style glass.

A: Light amber color with nice lacing a fluffy big bubble head.

S: Unrelenting and beautiful hop flavor. Pure citrus enticement. Nothing short of great. 5.5.

T: Hops, a good coating of it and then a bit more hops to top it off. Citrus, grapefruit, mango and a malt kick to go with it. Damn near a perfect drink- only if they could put this year round. A complicated concoction that is a hoplovers paradise.

M: A film of hops coats the lips and tongue. Not abrasive and the tinge is ideal.

D: Far too drinkable. Pure treat.

Perfection?.... perhaps as close as you get. Flat out awesome.

04-14-2008 00:41:59 | More by marcpal
sloejams

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

This was from PEBKAC in the Top 100 BIF - thanks buddy!

I really like the make up of this beer - an ultrahoppy amber ale. I admit ambers are not toward the top of my favorites. Hop the shit outta them and now we're talking!!!

The color is (wait for it...) amber. Little bit of a head tops it off. First inhale - boom, hops. I tried to get the malty red character but enough my nose wasn't having it or it simply wasn't there. Oh well - I like hops. The taste mellowed out with some of the toasted characteristics you would expect from a red, all of the while hammered by hops.

This is how I like my reds.

04-10-2008 22:48:21 | More by sloejams
gford217

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to leftmindedrighty for the chance to try this one. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Poured a deep reddish amber with a small but dense head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a decent lacing on the glass

S: Wow! Big time piny hop smell with some floral and citrus undertones. Truly wonderful smell, like walking through a pine forest.

T: Not surprisingly, the piny hop bitterness hits first but is balanced by a nice fruity taste which lingers a little until the hoppy bitterness finishes off the job. Extremely well balanced.

M: Full bodied yet crisp with a very smooth aftertaste.

D: I really enjoyed this one and it's very drinkable. I could definitely have a few of these in a sitting.

04-10-2008 02:52:30 | More by gford217
Zorro

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampled through ClockworkOrange and CA - PA BIF.

Clear copper colored ale with a small white head.

Smell is what you immediately notice about this beer the moment it is cracked open. Sweet and strong floral and pine hops hit you hard in the nose and you like it. Strong pine and citrus with a little melon, malt only really sweetens the hops.
A little wood and a little eucalyptus complete the harsher Hop scents.

The taste starts out sweet and hoppy with lots of floral and citrus in the mouth and a woody and sweet finish. Strong hops and the sensation of mint as something cools and numbs my tongue, add mint to the list of flavors. Tasty ale that never fades in flavor throughout the whole glass.

Mouthfeel is good.

Damn tasty ale and one I have been seeking for a long time. Strong tasty IPA that pushes to the edge of DIPA. I could see drinking this lots if I lived in Pennsylvania. Fortunately there is a clone of this beer locally called Firestone Union Jack that I drink a lot. Awesome beer here and worth it's reputation.

04-10-2008 02:49:07 | More by Zorro