Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros

a : Clear, Amber beer with a light carmal head (kind of like buttered popcorn). Head disipated quickly leaving minimal lacing.
s : Flowers, hops, and sugar (not the best description here, sorry). Sweet smelling.
t : Sweet, slightly acidic taste that finishes with a nice bitterness.
m : This beer has a really nice consistency, coats the mouth well and goes down smooth. Nothing to complain about at all!
d : Goes down smooth enough to drink more than one at a time. I think it is deceptively high in alcohol, be careful.

My first Troegs brew. I rather enjoyed it. Goes down smooth and has a great taste and smell. What more could you want in a beer.

tosshin, Feb 03, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle, First beer of my super bowl commercial watching afternoon. Amber pour with a fluffy white head. Smells hoppy, with citrus and pine mingling. Flavor of lots of nice hops swirled in with a mitigating malt presence. Hops are nicely on show here. Tasty beer. Awesome trade bonus beer!

Dubbercody, Feb 02, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to travismiller15 for the hookup on this beer. A great new BA trader.

A - Poured into my Firestone Walker nonic pint glass. Medium orange with yellow highlights. Formed a persistent, moderately-large off-white head. Lacing left as it retreats. Good clarity. Thin layer of foam retains itself throughout session.

S - Prominent, intense hop character. Grapefruit and piney aromas dominate the hop content. Moderate toasted malt character. Slight caramel malt also present, perhaps this should be stronger.

T - Flavor profile slanted towards hops. Grass/piney hop flavor is strong. The toasty malt is moderate to moderately strong. Lingering piney hop flavor in the mid-dry finish. Moderately intense level of bitterness which also lasts into the finish.

M - Medium/medium-full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Smooth and lacking any hop-derived astringency.

D - This is one hopped-up amber ale. Grass/piney/citrusy hop flavors dominate with a moderate level of toasty/caramel malts playing backup. Could use some more maltiness to help keep things in balance. Otherwise an excellent, hoppy red ale.

BrewerB, Feb 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours amber and clear with a short white head.

Smells of citrus: grapefruit and grass. Quite pleasant and inviting.

This is a high 4. Nice citrusy hop taste. A good sweet malt backbone, but not overpowering - well balanced. Short but clean finish with some floral hints at the end.

A little thinner than anticipated based on the malt flavor.

An easy drinker. Bitterness is not obtrusive. Medium mouthfeel
with malt sweetness makes it easy going.

A wonderfully hoppy Amber. Not too much to improve on this beer for the style.

jpiper, Feb 01, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

I've had it on tap a number of times, but I have a bunch of bottles so I figure I'll review that. I drank it in a pint glass.

This good beer pours a nice - obviously - amber color, and the head is nice and thick. The smell is also very sweet and nugget-y, and I feel compelled to say that there is even the sense of some citrus hops (sarc.). The smell and the look alone make this a session beer for me, even if it's an imperial. The preliminaries, especially for a beer out of the bottle, are fantastic.

The taste is, as many have avowed, a little overhyped, but I swear this is still a great beer. Certainly Troegs' best, and I love the Troegenator. It's malty and hoppy, but nothing is overdone and noting dominates the flavor throughout the progression. Citrus-y, then a little hoppy and the finish is a lot of malt, but nothing is too powerful. Some pine elements too, although I think that's really just the hops and the malt interacting. The smell and appearance are the best part of the beer, but the taste almost equals them. The feel less so, but like I said everything is balanced.

I could pwn n00bs with this beer any weeknight or weekend. And lately it's been around on LI (at Big Z) for 9.95/six, so with that kind of deal why not?

rasta16ry, Feb 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a pretty good beer overall, but I've gotta say, I think it may be a little over-hyped by some. I'm also not sure it's quite worth the 13 bucks for a six pack (thankfully, I split the sixer with a friend so the hit on the wallet was a little easier to take), if I had to choose a reasonable price, I'd say closer to 10 -- but I'm also not considering what it costs to brew and ship, so take that last bit for what it's worth.

Appearance: Nice amber/coppery color. A thin sticky looking head floats on top and there's a light carbonation to it.

Smell: This is probably my favorite aspect - it cuts through my nose and it's almost pungent -- comes across pretty bitter, and almost metallic like a handful of pennies.

Taste: Bitter, but smooth. I'd dare say a little piney.

Mouthfeel: Sits in the mouth creamy, and even a little chewy. Leaves the mouth feeling sticky so you definitely continue to taste it once it's gone down the throat. This is my second favorite aspect about this beer.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and the fact that it tastes pretty good makes it easy to drink as well. I don't think I'd want to sit down and drink too many though with a 7.5 ABV. I'm definitely feeling it.

bamadog, Feb 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Brilliantly clear. Deep amber bordering on Ruby. Huge tight long lasting eggshell head.

S-Crazy Grapefruit with a little pine mixed in for good measure.

T-More grapefruit and pine. Some caramel sweetness but the bitterness cuts that away. Nice

M-Thick but the high bitterness keeps it from being sweet. This is not a dry beer!

D- Too drinkable for 7.5%

Wish Troegs would make this year round.
Great beer!

organicbrewer, Feb 01, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 6pk on a recent trip to Columbus.

Pours a crystal clear light amber with no sediment what so ever. I don't think I've ever seen such a pristine beer. Head doesn't stick around long.

Smells of sweet hops. The label says Nugget, Tomahawk, and Warrior.

Tastes slightly of grapefruit due to the high alpha acid hops used. Very enjoyable.

Very smooth mouthfeel.

An extremely drinkable beer. Too bad it is only a seasonal as it would be a main stay in my beer fridge.

tburkhart, Feb 01, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Amber brown color, nice 1 finger head.
S- Wow...Smells like when i pick fresh hops and mash 'em up in my hand to get a good whiff. I've never smelled such a hoppy beer. I wanted to pour some into my nose so I could just keep smelling it.
T- All kinds of hops - sweet , floral, herbal, earthy. with all that sweet, sweet hop action going on, i would have expected much more bitterness, but no, not much at all. very well balanced with some sweet malt.
M-great carbonation level, on the low side. perfect mouthfeel.
D- !!! extremely drinkable, well balanced, damn tasty! This beer truly lives up to the hype.

duffextracold, Feb 01, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Why it has taken me so long to drink this beer boggles me. I finally grabbed a sixer and poured one into a pint glass tonight...

A: Pours a radiant crystal clear peach copper color with a one finger bone-white head that dissipates quickly to a thin ring. The colossal hop work in here yields a semi-sticky head that has adequate lacing.

S: The smell is magnificent. It is jam packed with cascade and other citrus hops into a huge citrus hop bomb. Some orange and lemon come through on the scent followed by some caramel malt to back it up.

T: The taste is not as refined or complex as the smell suggests. The great citrus flavors are apparent, but I was expecting more complex flavors out of this. The orange and lemon come to the forefront and blend into a nice munich malt back. Overall, the flavors are very nice and enjoyable, but I would have liked this to be a little fuller and flavorful.

Overall, an incredible job by the Troegs brothers. I could easily session this beer, and will probably drink 4 tonight.

treyrab, Jan 31, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

"Squeeze me baby, 'til the juice runs down my leg." - Led Zeppelin

Dude...

Amber colored with an average white head. Mild scim retention with seaweed lacing.

Smells like an Orange Julius with grapefruit and citrus hops then piney hops in a glass of orange juice. Women should wear this as perfume.

Tastes like piney hops in a glass of citrus hops orange juice. It's like being tea bagged by hops with a Roman hop war helmet at the same time. Mild alcoholic warming with swallow. And then some more hops.

There must be a monopoly clause in Troegs contract where it states that they can't brew this year-round less no one drink anything else.

donkeyrunner, Jan 31, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9%

After pouring from a 12 oz. bottle, a slight head that dissipates quickly; some lacing on the glass going down. Smells of grassy hops in a mild way. Taste was similar, hoppy and very smooth, but less hops for example than most IPA's in bitterness, but retains much of the hops taste and aroma profile, almost like SN Celebration Ale to me. Mouthfeel was average; nothing special. Drinkabiliy is perceived to be high, as bitterness is low.

BeTheBall, Jan 31, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Got a bunch of these in a trade with rpohagan - thanks dude! Served in a pint glass.

A - This is about as good looking as they come. Two fingers of light-orange-y white foam - almost like peaches & cream. It sticks around for quite a while - almost 10 minutes! - and leaves tons of lacing. Transparent reddish-orange color with a few bubbles lazily rising to the top.

S - Fresh hops, with tons of citrus like orange & grapefruit, as well as other fruits like pineapple and peach, and a hint of pine. There's a little bit of malt as well. It's yummy but doesn't really come alive until I get my nose up against the glass.

T - After such a great setup the taste is a little bit of a letdown. There's lots of citrus again here, with a balance of tropical and malty sweetness as well. Not overly bitter, and not a lot of aftertaste. It's very good, but not super-strong in flavor.

M - Thin body, crisp and tingly, refreshing, nice moderate carbonation. I usually like a little more viscosity to my brews. Goes down easy.

D - I have a feeling all this Nugget Nectar I've traded for isn't going to last very long. Terrific session brew - this is up there with some of my favorite IPAs and APAs ease of consumption. Not overly bitter or carbonated, well-hidden ABV, inexpensive, delicious. What more do you want?

MasterSki, Jan 31, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter. It was a clear amber with a nice, foamy 1 inch head. Lace slid down the sides of the glass.

The smell was very strong. Pure hops: pine, apricot, pineapple, maybe even some marijuana (?). There was a slight malty sweetness, but it was quickly put into a chokehold by the hops.

The taste was strong piney hops with an amber malt backbone. Not bitingly bitter at all.

It had a creamy mouthfeel that ended smooth. Very drinkable. Not cloying or bitter - It finds a great balance between sweet and bitter.

gameface23, Jan 31, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A: It looks like a copper colored ale with a 1.5 finger head, well filtered. Sticky lacing.

S: Muy excellente. Fresh hops slaps you in the face. The best part of this beer is the fresh aroma of citrus-y hops. Many beers in this vein don't smell as good, or effuse such a nice smell. It really makes you pine for some hops. AND then

T: Grapefruit. Some light maltiness. Not much in terms of sweetness. Long lasting hop bitterness.

M: Thin/medium mouthfeel. Decent carbonation.

D: Ight. I didn't care for the balance on this beer.

The interwebs told me to buy this beer. I did. I felt a little disappointed in you, internets.

It's a good value and would go great with a plateful of loaded nachos. I didn't really care for the overall balance of this beer. But, seat for every ass, that's what I say.

Fredk24, Jan 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Okay, so after seeing a million posts on the US-Great Lakes forum about this beer, I had to pick up a six when it came to my area. Here's my review on a bottle poured into a pint.

Appearance: Pours a clear and bright shade of orangey-brown with carbonation bubbles running throughout feeding the 2 finger tannish-white airy head. The head fades pretty quickly to 1/2 inch, and major sticky lacing hangs off all sides of the glass.

Smell: The smell is a major punch in the nose of bright, citrusy, floral hops with a slight sweetness from the malts. It is seriously prominent, and it really makes me look forward to the taste.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The taste is unbelievably sweet and bitter all at once. All the scents from the hops are magnified in the taste. The citrus is bitter like grapefruit or orange peels, the floral is sweet and bright and there's even a sappy, piney hop quality that wasn't as present in the nose. There are just enough malts to sweeten the taste and provide a little challenge (note, very little) to the powerful hops. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp thanks to the good carbonation, and the aftertaste leaves a sticky film throughout the palate.

Drinkability: Definitely a tasty beer - full of flavor and really crisp and light. Couldn't do too many of these though. The stickiness and huge hops would limit my intake.

Lives up to the hype. I saw a lot of posts comparing this and Hopslam, but I think they're different enough to warrant picking up a few of each.

kels, Jan 31, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -32%

Pours clear and light reddish orange in color. Definitely on the lighter side for an amber but well within style. Totally filtered and fresh with a nice solid white frothy head on top that settles into an ever present cap with nice stickiness at the edges and soft lacing spotted up with side. Tiny carbonation lazily floats up feeding this nice head situation.

The aroma is strongly hop forward and starts with subtle fruit and floral notes and moves to a slightly more sweet middle with citrus followed by an underlying ammonia notes. Resiny throughout with a moderate sweetness that makes for an aroma that's complex almost melony but also almost unpleasant.

Strong hop resins and oil up front with moderate fruit flavors. Overall this is too hop dominant without a backing malt quality. The hops are used too extensively with little balancing flavors. The hop choice, nugget, is unpleasant for an imperial amber. The alcohol that comes through is astringent and unconnected to the other flavors of the beer.

Mouthfeel is oily up front followed by a cloying sweet finish and lingering bitter aftertaste that doesn't invite me to drink more. I am a hop fan and I realize this is a highly favored beer but the drinking experience doesn't match the apparent popularity. The ingredient choice and integration leaves an unbalanced beer with overly assertive qualities

NoLiberty, Jan 31, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a german pilsner. Bottle says it was bottled on 1/19/09.

A - the color of a new penny, copper. A small 1cm head, off-white in color, crowned the beer. It dissipated every so slowly.

S - hops, floral and citrusy; there's some grapefruit and pineapple going on, maybe some other fruit too.

T - hops, hops, more grapefruit and pineapple. I did not notice any malt flavor at all, however the beer did maintain some sort of sweetness throughout. I do not know where it came from. There's was also a slight bitterness at the end that did not seem to come from the hops. (Edit: after a second bottle I decided to drop the taste rating from 4.0 because of this beers lack of a malt character.)

M - seemed about average for any hoppy ale.

D - pretty good. the beer wasn't filling, it was a lot cheaper than Hopslam, and it wasn't quite as hoppy, which is a good thing to me.

bowersdm, Jan 31, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Thick head, some ultrafine bubbles, some massive bubbles - maybe I screwed up the pour...

S - Sweet piny fruits

T - Tastes like it smells, bittersweet fruit, piny bitterness

M - High carbonation, slighly oily

D - Drankly one bottle quickly and wished I had more than just one!

Excellent all around beer, I loved it last year, and this year tastes even better!

Dulliwhig, Jan 31, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams sensory glass

A: Pours a dark copper with a finger of cream-colored head. decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Has a very fresh hoppy aroma, very citric.

T: Lots of fresh hops, notes of various citrus fruit other than oranges. Quite bitter, with a very light malt content.

M: Puckering, crisp, but could use a little more carbonation.

D: Goes down pretty well for a 7.5% beer; the bitterness approaches sourness, but in a pleasant way. I probably couldn't do more than two or three of these, but it's very nice to drink.

SerieDNo3, Jan 30, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Poured a beautiful copper amber that produced a fluffy white head that retained well and left a great lace

S - A great blend of hops and fruit and honey

T - Malty character, with a great hops, honey, tropical fruit blend

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation

D - Now I know what the hype is about! This was an incredible beer, too bad that Troegs pulled out of La

cvfish, Jan 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a copper color with nice amber hues and a small head with beautiful lacing left in its absence.

S: Faintly smells of its Amber origins but a very pleasant mixture of floral and pine hop aromas melding together.

T: It definitely has that Amber flavor but its very subdued in the background. Hops are for sure in the foreground.

M: Nice creamy medium bodied and oily. Very pleasant in the mouth. Not too much as some Ambers/Reds can be. Very tame, yet very flavorful at the same time.

D: Hands down an easy drinker! This is added to my list of Ambers/Reds to enjoy from Oct-March (Lagunitas Impy Red and Nosferatu are my other two in that timeframe) Definitely going to enjoy as much of this as possible, and trick my friend who doesnt like Ambers into liking it!

drgonzo3705, Jan 30, 2009

I find it hard to believe that after two years of drinking this beer I have not reviewed it. It may have taken me this long but better late than never. I digress, I have had this beer on cask, on draft and in the bottle and every which way this beer is amazing.

A - Sappy amber, with highlights of light brown, copper and orange. Soft, delicate head with a sticky lace that etches my journey to the bottom of the glass.

S - a hoppy mix of tropical and stone fruits, a pleasant mix of peaches, pineapple and a delicate floral honey aroma lingers. A bready, almost biscuity rounds out the aroma and ties back into the hop character.

T - Light bitterness is balanced by bready, sweet malts. A dark fruit-like character lingers in the background. Hoppy resins of pineapple, grapefruit and peach are balanced by an earthy complex of cedary resin.

M - Smooth almost creamy complexity without a hint of alcohol. For as much hop character as this beer has there is no hint of astringency or grassiness. The balance of this beer is remarkable neither cloying or too bitter, only a light malt and hop note lingers.

D - Dangerously drinkable. This is the type of beer you can do some damage with. It's balance is key here, neither too cloying or too bitter, this beer balances itself and invites you back for a few more rounds.

Jettanbass9, Jan 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Was recommended this beer by some personal friends of mine from the beer tasting club. First brew from Troegs.

Once I poured it, the aroma hit me. It smells amazing. The cascade/centennial/chinook grapefruit hops overpower the nose. It smells amazing. I think I inhaled at the lip of the cup for well over a minute.

The taste is quite light and delicious. Great malth flavor, that citrus kick from the flavors and hops hit as well, but I think that's to be expected after the nose. Really light mouthfeel - crisp and refreshing without being too heavy. I think amber is a great category for the ale, as I feel like the hops MIGHT classify it as an IPA, but it really doesn't have that heaviness.

Ultimately, a delicious brew. Grab em if you see em. They are well worth the try.

zerofear13, Jan 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Enjoyed this with William Pang (Queens, NY) as per usual.

Poured a dark gold/light amber color, with a quickly dissipating head and pretty minimal lacing.

The smell of this beer is absolutely fantastic. Straight grapefruit and citrus, with a little hint of pine. Definitely a lot of hops in this one.

The taste is not as outrageously hoppy as the smell. There is somewhat doughy taste, backed by the definite citrus from the hops.

Very thin in the mouth, with a bit of bitterness that lingers behind for quite some time.

Very drinkable. The 7.5% alcohol is hidden well, and this is a very easily enjoyed brew.

tittymcj, Jan 30, 2009