Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass.
A: Bright orange/amber colored brew with a good 1.5 inches of thick foamy white head that settles slowly and leaves some sticky lacing fingers down the glass. Very enticing.
S: Piney and citrusy hops, plenty strong but with a caramel-sweet malt backbone. Also very enticing! Strong whiffs reveal some deep fruit scents and some light honey.
T: Sweet malts at first, but this leads right into the piney hops. The middle is a bit more leafy/oily, and the finish brings everything together in a harmonious hop/malt extravaganza. This beer manages to blend a bunch of flavors without overdoing any of them.
M: Malty, hoppy, malty, hoppy. Almost too sweet at times, but the bitter hop nip is quite nice.
D: Very good. Tasty and satisfying and really no hint of the 7.5% ABV.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Given to me from a friend and the owner of Beverages 4 less in Santee. THANKS FREDDY!

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle

A - Pours golden brown with a nice thick head. Decent lacing.

S - OMG, so so hoppy, would mistake this for pliny at first sniff. some nice sweet maltiness in there with a little citrus fruit sour smell.

T - So delicious. I can see what the fuss was about. So smooth and balanced. Plenty of hops but not so overbearing. It has a decent sweetness to it, like toffee.

M - Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation, perfect, it coats the mouth and give it the tingles. Wonderful.

D - So very very drinkable, if only it were a little more widely available.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Crystal clear bronze with a 1-finger off-white head...decent head retention that settles into small groups of large bubbles surrounded by a thin layer of foam

S - Lots of up-front citrus...orange peel and somegrapefruit...sweet maltiness comes out as it warms

T - Well balanced between the hop flavors and malt backing...similar to the aroma...more orange rind...toffee comes out the more I drink

M - A little bit of tartness...very creamy...moderate carbonation...just enough lingering hops to make me want to keep drinking it all night

D - One of the most drinkable beers that I have had...hoppy, but not a one-trick pony...keep 'em coming

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Clean amber color ale with good head. Smells a bit orange/citrus. Doesnt taste as smooth or sweet as other amber ales due to the hops. A strong toasted malt takes followed by a bitter hoppy taste. Good clean taste that is light in the mouth. Good drinkability. Reminds me of a slightly malty ipa with less spice. Would like to try a few more but bought it in a sampler pack.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Had this with lunch the other day, poured a pretty light amber with a moderate head on top, the head stuck around well, and laced up nicely.
The smell was grapefruit, orange, light mint, delicious.
The taste started with bitter citrus, was balanced quickly by the maltiness. Well rounded beer.
The mouthfeel was pretty crisp, nice carbonation, very fresh tasting. Definitely something I could drink quite a few of. I am glad I had the opportunity to sample this. Money well spent.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

This is an update to my original review. After drinking several more of these, I've come to like it and realized that it's more than one dimensional. As it warms up a bit, the malt backbone does make it's presence known and is ample enough to balance the huge hoppiness.

---
Poured a deep amber color with a fluffy light head. Pungent, piny, resiny, herbal hop aroma greets the nose. I enjoyed this beer but felt it was a little bit one dimensional. The hops overwhelm the malt resulting in an unbalanced taste. I would have liked a bit more of a malt backbone to balance things out. Mouthfeel and body are on the thinner side. On the pricey side at $12.00 a sixer.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz bottle from The Liquor Shop in Tyngsboro, Mass. Pours a crystal-clear amber with nearly an inch of off-white head that leaves some decent lacing. Leafy grassy citrussy minty, pithy hops dominate with a good amount of caramel and toffee to balance it out. Citrussy minty pithy grassy hops dominate at first, with plenty of caramel toffee malt, with hints of chocolate and caramel malt to balance this beer and make it not a complete hop bomb, though it's definitely hop-forward. Super flavorful, no flaws to be found. Medium in body with ample carbonation makes this one very drinkable considering the ABV and complexity. Possibly the best American amber I've ever had. Absolutely phenomenal.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this at General Sutter's recent cask night, poured from the firkin into an imperial pint.

A - Clear copper w/ light haze and broad band of cream. About 1 1/2 inches capping, the lace spots the glass like confetti

M - Mild creamy feel w/ a gentle bitter texture and warmth in the back of the throat w/ sweetness on the sides of the cheeks. The feel seemed less yeast soft than some casks I have tasted

S - The citrus and subtle sour hop notes are pithy w/ notes of grapefruit peel and sourdough bread. There is gentle orange sweetness under the pungent hop aroma

T - The taste is sweet and creamyw/ a nice tangerine taste and the hops have acidity in the flavor w/ plenty of citrus notes. The malt seems muted in the cask as the hops a slightly amplified, but fresh resinous and green with bitter flavors of an IPA.

D - Just as tasty, probably even more drinkable in the cask which is off the charts for me. The drinkability of Nuggect Nectar is superior, just a tasty ale anyway you slice it

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

yep, amber...lustrous head, micropitted hyperclingy lacing. head falls off to about a good fat 1/4 inch and stays firm...the lacing is just a beauty to behold.

smell, from the start, is hops, yep. of course! but seems, initially, unidimensional. i love bitter, but that's all i'm catching. maybe it is a tad too cold. malts be shivering in their bed, still asleep. there is an odd funk smell which sn't a bad thing...very organic, almost secreted (i.e., pheromones?!), but at least it's not prevalent unless you sniff big. if so, would scare off some folks, i imagine.

no mistaking this is a taste masterpiece. malts are roused, but keep it minimal. they marry well with the hop blast thus revealing massive balance. i can see why the rave reviews. this is up there with Sierra Nevada, Troegs' own Pale, Dogfish Head 60 not in comparison, but for all-out greatness.

feel is rich but mellow carbonation that keeps the sweetness under the surface and snappy.

very drinkable (esp. for hopheads) though it's certainly more complex than expected. no need to savor standing still. let it roll around, go down and don't stop. a session brew for the brave (7.5%).

highly recommended.

edit:
as the 6 pack went down, things only got better...

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Out of a 22 oz bottle...

A very clear carrot orange color. Big puffy head; rocky and pure white. Little bubbles of carbonation. The color is just ok; the head retention is great.

The aroma is a tremendous piney hop smell. Sweet bready malt. Like a very malty IPA, or a sweet amber with a ton of hops. English malts, but with a major hop acccent. Great!

The taste is sweet bready malts with an accent of some orange peel and sweet tangerine. The base is very sweet, with slightly sour grapefruit as well. Flowery esters and tart flavors.

The thick and creamy feel has a bitter bite on the way down. It's really more like an IPA than an Imperial amber. The hop/malt ratio is absolutely perfect. It's a great great beer, drinkable and delicious and bursting with flavor. Greater than the sum of its parts.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The color is bronze. For an amber ale, I think it's kinda light. I was expecting a dark red that wouldn't be translucent. The head is good and white. It has a fullness I've come to expect from these hoppy ales. In keeping with my characteristic label consideration in the appearance of beer, I'm disappointed in the fingers holding a hop nugget...definitely inferior to the Hopslammed man and the solitary 120 hop.

The smell is sweet hoppiness. That's good...very good. Perhaps the only thing preventing it from perfection is a citrus or similar smell present in many of the west coast hoppy beers. I don't care if that's not supposed to be there--I like it, and I miss it.

Since I know this one's hyped and an "A" recipient on this site, I'm most disappointed with the taste. The sweet hoppiness I smelled when I poured the beer has changed to something burnt. I still like the hoppiness, but there's burned woodchips or something I find uncomfortable. It's not even close to a bad beer, but I'm sadly disappointed based on what I've heard about this beer. The aftertaste is almost abrasive to me, and it's not the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is okay, but I just mentioned the aftertaste--it's like I'm charred after I swallow the beer. When you think of charred, you might think of something good off the grill, but this is like a nasty piece of brisquet off an old, seldom-cleaned grill grate. Not impressed doesn't cut it--I really just don't like it.

Now how can I comment on the drinkability of this beer? I feel like I did when I reviewed the Victory Prima Pils--is it that I just don't like the style? I love selections that vary from coffee stouts to light (even macro) ales. It's odd (based on my experience with this site, anyway) that I don't really like Belgians, and it's (relatively) odd that I don't really like this beer. I'll drink it again just out of respect for the people that rate it here--so I can judge it again. For now though, I'm unimpressed with Nugget Nectar.

Pour is clean and fast with a foamy-spongy head of about 1.5 fingers that quickly tapers down to an ever-present ring.

This beer is crystal clear with a funky copperish-orange color. Noticeable carbonation in the glass feeds a very light film of sustained foam atop the beer, which collects at the glass forming a slightly thicker ring of foam. Very heavy lacing going on here. This beer likes to cling to the glass.

I'm getting very strong floral hops that are reminiscent of lemongrass and wildflowers. Some mild sugars coming through the nose as well.

Ah, the best part. A full attack of hops to the tongue. Fairly bitter in a lime or lemon zest kind of way. I'm getting some very tart notes as well, and the aftertaste is very bitter and almost like that of watermelon skin (don't ask how I know what that tastes like, I just do). I'd say it was unpleasant if I wasn't also getting some mellow sweetness coming through, almost like wildflower honey.

This one has an odd feel to it. It's a very wet-feeling beer going down, almost as refreshing as water. Then the aftertaste kicks in and dries out your mouth from the back of your tongue forward. There's a mild carbonation tingle to it, and after resting my taste buds a good couple of minutes after drinking I'm now starting to get a weird "I just ate zinc" feeling in my mouth, like what you'd get from sucking on a ColdEeze.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this beer! But it's not going to be for everyone. Had it not been for that odd bitter watermelon rind finish, I'd say this would be a staple session beer for me.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from bottle into duvel tulip.

Half finger tanish head on an amber body, translucent, gonzo lacing on the glass. Pretty psychedelic formations on the body with minor head. Holy hoppiness batman. Upfront grapefruit in the face dominates. Smooth amber flavors, bitterness isn't really overwhelming for me, but it is there on the back of the tongue. Sour fruits, grapefruit washes the tongue. Smooth body and mouth fill. Bitters really come out more as it warms up. I don't know if its something I would really reach for all the time, not bad by any means, just have never been a fan of grapefruit and that really dominates here. Maybe once a year. :D

Thanks to PEBKAC for the bottle, even if he doesn't approve of the review. :)

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle poured in a mug

I've waited a long time for this one, I was not disappointed.

It pours in with a rich amber color, perhaps a slight red tint.
The head is a creamy white. I got about a one and a half finger head, but dissipated rather quickly leaving a lacing around the glass.

The smell is great. It is sweet and hoppy with a subtle floral aroma.

The taste is smooth with an abundant hop flavor and citrus undertones. It finishes off with a nice bitterness. It has some sweetness which completely balances this brew.

The strong carbonation is just right for me and is very refreshing. Very drinkable. Too drinkable considering the ABV, which is difficult to detect....at first. One of my favorites.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Pours a quarter inch white foamy head. Should have poured more aggressively to get a bit more head on this one. Clear dark orange body, looks like an IPA. Dense lacing around the top of the glass that lingers.

S - Grassy, citrus, grapefruit smell but still very sweet. Smells like a balanced IPA, extremely inviting.

M - In between creamy and thin mouthfeel, lots of carbonation.

T - Wow, this beer is NOT overhyped. Even my brother who drinks Busch Light took a sip and loved it. Maybe this could be his gateway beer? A big hopbite, followed by more hops, grapefruit, lemon, and then a perfect malty sweetness in the finish. I wouldn't call it the most balanced beer I've come across by a longshot, but for a beer this overloaded with hops it has a beautiful malt backbone.

D - I was lucky enough to finally find a six pack of this stuff. I got to try it on tap at Redbones and it was amazing. I've had the Hopback which was good, but this blows it out of the water. Then again, I'm a hop head. I don't care if it's 7.5%, I'd session this beer any day.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Oven-roasted butternut squash with an endurable, adhesive film of white plastered to its top. The little dots of lace glint in the light all the while the beer itself beams with a coppered radiance. Its transparency is not without some very light haze but all things considered the complexion and clarity are both immaculate.

I was hoping to be blown away by hoppiness and... yes, I certainly was. I can't imagine how many acres of hops went into this one bottle alone! It is so very zesty, nothing short of full on chipotle-style piquant. Fruit is not to be forgotten either - very bitter grapefruit stands at the front with notes of lemon, tangerine and melon not far behind. This whole bouquet has such a lively, fresh, green quality to it!

Few times in my life have I encountered a hop bill so pungent and obnoxious! I happen to love the little green pellets anyhow so I don't mind (truthfully, enjoy) the pungency but I'm a little taken at just how much grapefruit juice and pine sap actually manage to seep into your gums. There's also as much orange in the flavour (if not more) than there is in the colour. The flavours are 'vivid' to say the least; put simply it's like gnawing on raw hops.

I keep thinking I might be tasting some scorched caramel or a hint of butterscotch, but every time I do a giant hop cone jumps out of the glass and hits me upside the head. Troegs design this to be hoppy and they succeeded. It is fruity, zesty, herbal, spicy, pungent and bitter. It is everything that hops are. Oh, and the alcohol isn't noted anywhere except on the label.

They certainly got the beer right but I don't know about the label. That hand squeezing all the alpha-acids and resins out of the hop cone is a poor representation of what the beer is actually like - they drew the hop the size of a man's hand. That's ridiculously unrealistic; the hops used in this brew must have been at least twice that big!

This brew had a focus and fresness to it that was very enjoyable. Extremely drinkable. Not as complex and overpowering compared to other hop driven beers. Still very good, nice price. If this was available locally I'd drink it often. Sweet pine, orange looking color with somewhat of a short finish.

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Over-rated IPA masking as an amber ale. That said, it is amber in colour, and the pour kicks up a nice white head that laces quite well until the end. The aroma is fresh and resiny. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the Dogfish Head 60 Minute in that you feel as ultra-fresh green hops were used straight off the vine. Beyond the hops though, there isn't much malt support. I find the same in the flavour, and its certainly very green, with leafy hop flavours. I'll trust their call on the IBUs, but I'm not really feeling them or the alcohol, which is probably testament to a nicely achieved balance. Perhaps its the sweetness? I don't really see where the 'imperial' comes into this? The pale toasty malts aren't that big, and they prefer to lurk in the background and let the hops do their thing, while the alcohol isn't exactly stratospheric. The mouthfeel and carbonation are both medium, and provide a solid compliment to the flavours.

A very solid drinker, but it suffers from it inability to live up to the hype. Beers like this frustrate me - while they are decent, there's really nothing here at all to justify a ranking as the 32nd best beer on the world. Flipping over to another beer reviewing site I actually find a more balance view, and one that doesn't place this beer on a pedestal. I don't understand what can account for that difference of opinion other than hype within the BA community leading to score inflation.

It sounds like I've rubbished this beer, but that's not my intention - I did find it enjoyable. Its the hype I hate... the high expectations that made me anticipate something magical, yet left me deflated when the trick proved too familiar.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Clear honey, lots of white thick head, reduces to ring fast with lots of sticky webbed lacing.

S - Citrus and perfume and a skanky kinda skunky, almost 'pot' smell.

T- More subdued than the smell. Small let down. Nice, none the less. Very malty and sweet, and lots of hops to combat. For me, a little too one sided on the sweet malt.

M - Thick creamy, a little cloying.

D - Damn nice beer. Could do a few for sure.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Powerfully sweet and hoppy, this beer is quite the winner. It finished with a sweet coating and a hint of hops. The hops taste is far more powerful during the actual sip, when it can be smelled as well. Nothing too overpowering, but nice. A bit more carbonation that I would prefer, but I'm really picking at this point. Overall, a great beer and a nice recommendation.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

i've been a few 6-packs into this lately - had one on cask at the blind tiger and picked up a 22oz bomber today - it certainly lives up to the hype - nicely balanced throughout - real tasty and really drinkable - i like it better from the bottle than on cask ( the fresh =hop tastiness seemed lost) - a real nice 'go to' beer - i can drink way too many of these.

*it's been over a year since this review and i've had this on cask yet again, at dba, along with a friend - something was wrong -
this was just awful - since i've been into craft beer i've found that ipa's and the like (this being the 'like') don't lend themselves to cask servings - however the fresh growler i'm working now, from a fresh keg, is remarkable - it's nugget nectar at it's best!

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Recently received from IBUnit63 in a trade - thanks for the opportunity, Larry.

Appearance is nice - a bronze orange color with golden highlights. Nice light head, not particularly big, but it's fluffy and enticing.

The nose is hoppy, as expected, with nice malts coming through on the back end. The nugget hops here are a nice change, which I'd call more herbal or grassy than most.

The taste is like a hoppy amber, but it's not quite imperial as the label asserts. Very tasty, and toasty too, to balance the hops. This is good drinking beer right here, but it doesn't make me say wow in the flavor department.

The mouthfeel on this one is about medium. It's a bit sticky too, which is quite enjoyable. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability...well, this is quite good. If I had access to this around me, I'd probably buy a six pack every release. I was really glad to have been able to try it, but I probably won't seek it out intentionally in a trade.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

After hearing good things, and being a huge fan of Troegs I had to try Nugget Nectar. I just got a single 12oz bottle and poured into my pint glass. It pours a deep iced tea color with a 2 finger creamy head, which dissolved rather quickly. It smells very piny and hoppy. The taste is also very piny, but also tastes tart and citrusy. Very smooth and goes down beautifully. Extremely tasty, it just gets better sip after sip. I could drink this all day. Troegs, you are my hero!

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Bought everything left on the shelves in Boston the weekend of EBF.

Poured into a pint tumbler, solid inch of tight creamy head. Great retention. Great amber hues. small carbonation.

Great pine sap and earth on the nose. clean scent, doesnt show alcohol sweetness.

This beer has such perfect balance. Hops are present but dont bite the palate. They stay mostly at the back of the beer, covered by a perfect sweetness. Neither bitter nor sweet linger after the beer is gone.

Mouthfeel is actually rather thin for a self described "imperial amber". Hop bitterness does start to collect on the palate after a few sips, but overall, Im detracting for being too drinkable.

If I want an imperial, I wont be craving this beer. If I want an unbelievably smooth and balanced beer that will go down all too quickly for 7.5%, Ill go for this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Yetiman420 for trading me this.

12oz bottle, poured in a big wine glass at 50 F/ 10 C.

Copper-amber color, fine haze, small cream colored head, finely patterned lace.

Aroma of musky, piny, citrusy hops, and caramel malt. Nice richness to the malt, and some complex notes along the lines of mild leather, sweet tobacco, and dulce de leche. Mild, but exceedingly pleasant.

Tastes like an array of piny, fruity hops and toasty fruity caramel malt. An overall fruitiness binds the malt and hops; totally cohesive. Moderate musky resinous bitterness comes in, and the malt grows deeper and more complex. Very well balanced and very tasty. Long finish of tasty caramel malt.

Soft, supple, rich texture. Quite drinkable.

Tasty, well crafted, interesting beer. I enjoyed this.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company