Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Now that I'm locked into heading towards the Splinter Black release, I thought it might be time for a review from notes of this bad beer. Michael Jackson bad. Michael Jackson the musician.

It pours reddish amber with a bubbly head that settles and dissipates but maintains lacing and legs. Smells like citrus, rich malts and despite Nugget Nectar being a red ale, the hops are still present. At the start you taste the sweetness, caramel, toffee, like your typical red ale. But it's more complex than usual, and the hops also bite. By the end, the alcohol hits in at 7.5% but you don't notice because you're still enjoying the malty hop blend. It's just plain well-crafted.

Medium-bodied, deceptively drinkable, Nugget Nectar is a top100 for a very good reason.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

a broad malted amber that seems double that of anything i've had. this is a completely clear pour with a sticky head of an off white... almost the color of melted butter. nose is brown sugar and pineapple hoppiness. palate is that with a nice mild quality of nougat. not particularly malt rich but substantial. palate is a bit floral that blends into something quite similar to clove honey. not at all as bitter as expected. a bit of assam tea bitterness with a sweet apple cider quality. autumn feel to it.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Picked some up at Rozi's on a roadtrip back from Cleveland.

Overall this beer is fantastic great hop profile and beautiful malts shine though the beautiful clear amber color.

Yes, I would be satisfied having this as my go-to beer, great balance and hops make it just an overall well-rounded beer suitable for all occasions.

Definately going to seek this one out often.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz poured into shaker. From notes.

A - A very slightly hazy apricot color, one finger white head that dissipated too quickly

S - Fruity, yeasty and a touch of sweetness

T - Great balance between the bitter, tropical fruits (grapefruit and orange) and the malt sweetness (caramel and some toffee)

M - Higher in carbonation but doesn't affect the mouthfeel, medium body, semi-dry with a smooth finish.

D - Very nice beer and an easy drinker despite the high(er) ABV for the style. Will be seeking out more in the early spring.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A very good beer. This beer is one of my favorite beers, but I lump it into the category of Torpedo, Celebration and Blind Pig. Although not reds, I think they are all about the same as far as wow factors go. For a once a year seasonal, I buy it, but most of the time would just buy a Torpedo as to not have to drive to Va for it. It is good and I really enjoy it, but not the wow as far as FEB releases like PtY and Hopslam

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Half finger head on the pour. Nice Golden/Copper color very clear. Head fades to a thin spotted lacing cap.
S:Citrus fruit, "C" hops, bready with some slight sweetness.
T: Initially citrus sweet, malty, that transitions to a bitter orange juice like dry finish. This is fairly complex for me and keeps me wanting more to see what else I can find.
M: Medium/Light body, fairly high carbonation for the style that stream up my Sam Adams 12oz glass.
D: Fairly drinkable for a bomber but not much more than that.

Note: I'm not sure of the age of this one but know it's not fresh so I think the smell is not as great as it could be.
The taste and smell of this changes quite a bit from the time of the initial pour and as it warms up, so I think this could be interesting to try a few times to see any other flavor that may be hidden.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottled on 2/12/10

A. Pours a somewhat hazy orange with amber hues. The creamy off white head dissipates leaving bits of residual lacing.

S. Lots of bitter citrus hops upfront with some caramel and some yeasty breadiness.

T. Bitter citrus hops are dominant with a nice caramel malt backbone. Orange rind comes through on swallow and remains.

M. Medium body with a medium level of somewhat brisk carbonation.

D. I know that it's a bit late in the year for this beer (8 months out from bottling date), but it was stored in the cooler the whole time and I couldn't wait until spring to try one. I'll update this review in spring if I deem it necessary.

Poured a medium amber color with a thick off white head that laced down the glass nicely. aroma has an initial blast of citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, caramel malt, and floral sweetness. Mouth feel is a hefty medium with great full coating and plenty of carbonation. flavor kicks in with the hop blast but a good dose of malt meets it head on. Floral, medium bitterness, and a long resiny finish. Been wanting to try this for some time now since alot of people make it seem like an IPA and hoppy as hell. I didn't get that at all, but I did get a nicely well balanced red ale.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Pours a copper amber hue with a white finely bubbled head.
Malt and a floral/fruity hop harmony in the aroma. Notes of red apple, cherry, peach and some musty and earthy hop tones.
On the palate, sweet malt upfront that seamlessly moves into a fruity and floral hop presence and leaves a very minor bitter taste. Toasty bread and biscuit flavors wrap around the fruity hop center and lead to a lasting finish that is sweet and breadlike with more of a nice hop bitterness.
The mouthfeel is bright, with a medium body a flavorful and refreshing beer.
Balance and simple flavors combine to make a nice display of the varied ingredient's flavors. The sweet maltiness up front and the floral hops and their eventual bitter bite make every sip a nice journey through the brewing process. As you drink you stay intrigued by all the flavors, so it's a hard one to put down. One of my favorite beers.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 9-27-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured one finger of foam, copper amber in color. Nice creamy foam head, little carbonation present

S - Good hop presence with hints of orange peel and with some slight malt notes

T/M - Smooth flavored, medium hop flavor but really tasty. Got this as an extra in a trade so not sure how old this was but still tasty

D - Enjoyable Amber/Red ale, not over powering in the hops department but noticeable. A brew for sure I would like to have again and of course recommend anyone to try it!

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Tasted from bomber bottle obtained in a trade. Pours a clear orange with a thick off-white head that lasts for quite a while. Nose of sweet hops with some orange and caramel malt. This beer is hoppy, but balanced with caramel malt and orange rind up front, and nice hops bitterness and orange pith on the back. The body is rather thin with average carbonation and a longish bitter and fruity finish. This beer smells better than it tastes.

Has a light copper body with a nice off white head.

I found this single bottle on the shelf of a local beer store. It's out of date, but I figured I try it anyway.

The smell was nice and malty, I was surprised because I was expecting hops, not the sweet smell of malt.

It didn't taste like a 93 IBU beer either. It was very smooth and had a late bitterness but well balance and malt forward.

I'm not sure what the Nuggets are supposed to taste like with this beer, but it does make for a nice bittering hop.

I say if see an old bottle of Nugget around go ahead and buy it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Notes from 09/19/10

A:Pours a nice hazy amber/orange color with a small head that resides fairly quickly,
scattered lacing down the glass as I drank it down

S:Smells of citrus and floral hops that is fairly subtle along with sweet malts as well

T:Starts off with a nice mild bite on the tongue that reminds me a lot of some west coast ipas. Followed up by sweet malts and then another kick of hops on the back burner.

M:Solid medium body with fair carbonation throughout, leaves palate fairly moist
and not to dry

D:I received this for free from one of my local shops when I was picking up some single
bottles, I was informed it was out of date but still good non than less. They weren't joking,
I can only imagine the fresh ones in February being even better. Very easy to dink and tasty.
If someone would have just gave me a glass of this and didn't tell me what it was I would have guessed a well done IPA but never a Imperial Amber. Can't wait to try this out next year fresh and more from Troegs in general.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle. Slightly hazy red-orangey pour. Aroma is very tropical lots of mango-pineapple scents, some pine notes as well. Taste is fruity, quite sweet for the style, biscuity with a nice bitter earthy finale. It definitly could use more hop bite though, I think my bottle isn't super fresh. Palate is average, could be more carbonated. Still very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

For starters, I put a case of this aside at my father's shop and finally realized where I had hid it...I've been a huge fan of this beer for about 3 years now.

Appearance: Amber, with a nice frothy head.

Smell: The aroma of this beer is so distinct I could almost just smell it blind and know its Nugget Nectar. Great nose on this beer.

Taste: On the palate, definitely notes of caramel, subtle citrus and most definitely hops.

Mouthfeel: For an imperial amber, exceptionally smooth, you can put this stuff down pretty easy for a 7.5% ABV beer.

Drinkability: Dangerous. What else can I say its 7.5% and drinks like a domestic.

Cheers.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 7.5% ABV, Bottled on 012210 (it appears that's it as it's scratched).

Thanks to beerwolf77 for this bottle!

A - A tall pour leaves a hazy golden orange amber beer in the glass with a dense off-white topping of foam. Great retention but little lace left over. More lace was left on the glass after it was drank from.

S - Despite it's apparent age for a hoppy beer, this still has a nice fresh hoppy aroma of green citrusy hops with a splash of pine resin and a fairly hefty amber malt backbone with caramel sweetness and traces of honey. It's very nicely balanced.

T - Tons of citrusy hops. Pine resin and grapefruit with a bit of lemon crispness, this tastes more like an IPA than an amber. Good backing of amber malts. Not as sweet as the aroma lets on, some earthiness pokes through.

M - Medium-full bodied and smooth with a moderate carbonation level. Slightly dry and mildly bitter with a solid citrus kick to the finish.

D - Better watch out, I imagine this will sneak up on you pretty quickly as it's a higher percent and it doesn't feel like it at all. I'll also go out on a limb and say this is probably one of my favorite ambers to date!

2.1/5  rDev -51.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass and served at 47 degrees.

Appearance was typical beer yellow with half inch head that lasted fairly long. Aroma was mostly citrus, especially grapefruit with piney notes. Flavor was pure hop bitterness with a touch of the grapefruit. Way too bitter! Mouthfeel was light to medium but balanced over the palate. Drinkability is low, it's just way too bitter, a real hop bomb. NOT recommended!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. It poured a light copper or a burnished bronze, much lighter than anything I'd call an amber or red ale as this is classified on BA. It looks like an IPA in color, not an amber. Slightly hazy. It had a thick, rich, firm wite head that left lots of lacing behind.

Aroma was very nice given that this couldn't be that super fresh of a beer. Lots of pine, some citrus and a robust malt presence, though not overly sweet smelling.

Taste was great. Lots of hop flavor but also a really rich malty character. Very bready and malty. I'm not sure what to call it. It's certainly not an amber -- it's paler than Troegs Hopback Amber & isn't all that caramelly. It's certainly got IPA hopping. But the malt is rich and complex like a bock. I guess I'd call it an IPA with a good load of Munich malt in the grainbill. Wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel was a bit full for a 7.5%abv beer. It feels like a 10-12%abv DIPA in mouthfeel but is closer to a straight IPA in abv. Overall, this was a highly drinkable beer. Each sip led to wanting the next and the next and the next..

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip.

A: Pours a deep amber with a thick off-white head that reduced slowly into an oily film that left sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Rich caramel malts intermingled with perfumey floral hops and big citrus hop notes of pineapple and tangerine rind. Very sweet and hoppy smelling.
T: Not as much citrus and the nose with much more caramel malt and "amber ale" flavors coming through than IPA. Still fairly hoppy though, with a resinous hop oil flavor. Finish is full of roasted grain flavors and a light bitterness.
M: Medium body with light carbonation and a slighty sticky oily mouthfeel. Feels like a beer with a much lower ABV.
D: If this was ever available in my area I would buy it as one of my standards. What an easy to drink and flavorful beer. IPA or not, I could put a couple bottles of this away easily.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A-Vibrant amber color, looks quite delicious. A modest head with orange undertones sits above the liquid. Mild yet attractive lacing is evident.

S-Chewy juicy grapefruit hop attack. Fruity and full. Small malt aroma sits in the background. This one is obviously all about the hops.

T-One of the juiciest hop flavors I have ever had from a beer. Big grapefruit connects with a potent dose of fresh grassiness. The whole hop spectrum comes out in this beer. Theres pine, citrus, floral notes too. Like the nose, the malt is secondary but still enough to add some balance. Substantial bitterness rounds it out.

M-Medium bodied nice and sticky with a drying aspect. Well carbonated.

D-Perfect sixpack beer. Love it and wish it was year round but you gotta love when the time of year comes and its Nectar time.

Thanks Troegs Braws

Yeah, i know you all think this beer past its prime after sitting in my fridge for such a long time, well you know what, YOU'RE WRONG. This beer simply kicks as much ass today as it did the day it was bottled, the only difference is that its now mellow.

A- Pours a clear, delicious golden-amber-orange color, with a one finger head that dissipates quickly, and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

S- Um, do i really need to tell you all how awesome this smells? Well, in case you don't already know, its amazing. Strong floral hops, honey blossoms, lavender and lemon. Underneath it all hides a wonderfully sweet malt aroma.

T- Um, do i really need to tell you all how awesome this tastes? Taste is delicious. A hop BOMB! The same flavors as the smell: floral hops, honey, and malt.

M- Great carbonation, and medium body.

D- I love this beer and cant wait to get another trade in with an East Coaster. Its incredibly drinkable, and dangerously session-able. One of my top 10 beers

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

It's always nice when the shipments of Nugget Nectar reach the Haute. Although it's been a few months since the latest release, I thought I would toss up my review of this fine "Amber." Had my most recent one at a gathering a few nights ago. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a coppery amber color with a thin light colored head. Very clear, with moderate amounts of lace left behind.

A nice hoppy citrusy nose is my favorite part of the Nugget Nectar. Smaller notes of pine and even some sweet caramel are also present. I really enjoy the intensity of the citrus smell, with the subtleties of the rest.

Tastes similar to the smell with the noticeable sweet malts being pushed aside by the prominent hoppiness. The caramel smell is also found in the drink, although also quite subtle. I wish there was just a bit more. Citrus and a bit of pine - and a sharp bitterness that is just a little bit detracting. Additionally, the mouthfeel is a just a bit on the thin side.

I do like Nugget Nectar, but I feel like the flavors just don't quite work together as well as they could. Fairly drinkable, and still a beer that I look forward to every year.

Consumed: 8/6/2010

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma:I get hops and sweet malt in the nose. The hop aromas are citrus and pine.

Appearance:This beer has an amber/red color, with a good sized head, and ok head retention.

Taste:The bitter hops make quite an impression up front. There is lots of pine flavor in this one. There is also an underlying caramel sweetness that counteracts the bitterness in the hops wonderfully.

Mouthfeel:This beer has a medium-full body, and is quite smooth with only a little hop astringency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability:I really enjoyed this beer, it's a great example of it's style.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Initial 2010 review was a 4.5. Edited to reflect my experiences since 2012 with this beer.

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a brilliantly clear glowing copper/amber with a dense & fluffy off-white 1" settled head. Some visible uprising carbonation erupting from the center of my stemmed Ayinger tulip style chalice. Gorgeous vertically thick rings of lace all the way down.

Sweet, syrupy malty goodness is totally surrounded by fresh, zesty, tropical fruity hops. From what I distinctly remember from Pliney the Elder's nose, this beer is very similar. This keen familiarity is the scent of tamarind. That's right, tamarind. It's found in many Thai dishes and I cannot escape it's sweet, spicy and earthy elements. The entire bouquet is very fresh (yes, I know this is over 4 months old by now) and had held up very nicely. Sweet, earthy and definitely hoppy.

Tastes EXACTLY like it smells. Even the tamarind. The maltiness is more mellow than sweet though, but still makes for a solid platform for the hops to showcase themselves. Since this ale is mostly about hops, they seem to play very well together. The tropical notes I smelled earlier have morphed into a more earthy flavor. Still very pronounced, but more mineral-like in flavor.

Mouthfeel is perfectly soft, medium bodied and just the right amount of fine carbonation. The semi-spicy/sweet finish is long lasting.

Drinkability is through the roof.

Overall this ale was very pleasing to me. It was a bit difficult to pinpoint the fine nuances of flavors, but I think I can attribute this to my unfamiliarity of the Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hop. Maybe I've had these hops in different beers, but for some reason they're not jumping out at me, (unless Pliney the Elder uses any of these?). A great beer worthy of it's broad and vocal fan base. Thanks mattcrill for bringing me a sixer from Ohio!

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company