Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
bobbyc881

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

HUGE thanks to todd1 for allowing me to try this!

Pours copper/amber color, absolutely clear. Nice white/off-white head supported by healthy levels of carbonation. Looks brilliant.

Strong smell of sweet, wet hops. No doubt this is a hoppy, American beer.

Punch of bitter hops up front... strong, sweet malty flavor through the middle, finishes clean due to the carbonation levels, citrusy-sweet hop flavors lingering afterwards. Great resiny-hop-stickiness left behind--perfect. I love enjoying an IPA/amber with great malt flavor to complement the hops. Very well done. Very well-balanced. I need a case of this stuff.

Very drinkable. At 7.5%, it's not a super-heavyweight, but a couple of these could make for a splendid night.

03-17-2007 02:29:42 | More by bobbyc881
cichief

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer pours a deep golden orange, with an off white head of foam. The beer smells flowery of hops, very inviting. It explodes with hops, but remains balanced. It is smooth on the tongue, very nice. It would be a great everyday beer, but at 7.5% alcohol, I better stop at a couple...if I can.

03-17-2007 00:37:10 | More by cichief
meatyard

4.05/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a clear, light amber with a white head that falls fairly quickly but leaves very nice lacing.
The smell is crisp, clean piney hops with a slight citrus aroma.
The taste is mostly hop bitterness with a bit of citrus in the aftertaste.
The mouthfeel starts with a carbonation blast on the tip of the tongue and is slightly thin.
Drinkability is good, it's easy drinking and is a tasty beer that will make it's ABV known if you end up drinking too many.
This is another beer that I prefer as it warms up past recommended temp. because more hops taste is released.

03-15-2007 22:13:58 | More by meatyard
JerzDevl2000

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

So here I am in 2011. Out of college for 10 months, jobless, and not a lot of prospects on the horizon. Those of you in the northeast who are reading this can vouch that we've had another "winter from hell" with a ton of ice, salt and gray days. Of course, I've been drinking my heavy Stouts and leftover holiday beers during this time but now that March is here, the days are growing warmer and longer. Sure enough, there must be something to look forward to, right?

As you probably surmised, that's where this beer comes in. I first brought this to my lips 5 years ago and from that point on, there was no looking back. Sure, Hoegaarden, the Sam seasonals, and the Ommegang Hennepin will always be the beers that showed me what was possible with 4 ingredients and some TLC in the brewing process, but if there was anything that served as the tipping point in my journey through the malted barley beverages of the world, there's no doubt that this was it.

I always get my beers from the same local store here in Jersey where they take beer seriously and attempt to match the brews up with the customer preferences. I was never picky and would try anything at least once - which remains true to this very day - but this came in late late February of 2006, I was told that this was the real deal and worth the hype. Being the skeptic that I was and still am to a slight extent, I wasn't sure what to expect.

As you can probably guess, this is where I get my bluff called. Bought it, brought it home, and gave it a good crack on a somewhat mild night not unlike the one we're having in New Jersey tonight. To say that nothing compared to this would be an understatement. For starters, the aroma was so perfect that I swear that this was brewed as a unit and not a collection of different hops. Not only did it fill my pint glass, but I could smell it from at least a foot or two away once I opened the bottle up.

To top it off, the hue was a gorgeous, radiant amber with a fluffy head that lasted quite a while. Tasting this beer was so difficult because of the multitude of cascading flavors that meshed so well together. The pine, citrus, resin, metallic, grassy, and earthy notes are all here but nothing shouts out over the others. Rather, the music that they create is that of the sphere as they all fit in perfect harmony, leading to an aftertaste that only has a hint of alcohol and all of the warming and beautiful bitterness that one would expect from a bright, hoppy beer.

It didn't even matter that this didn't qualify as a session beer. Every time I've opened one of these since the first time I tried it, it's been damn near impossible to keep this in my glass for any extended period of time. To me, that's a mark of a beer's drinkability - how long is lasts in my glass and how I feel while drinking it, regardless of how long it takes to work my way to the bottom.

Since that day 5 years ago, I've had quite a few beers and have done a lot of reading on this site regarding what's popular and what people think of this. Sure, this is beat out on the rankings but a lot of Stouts and Imperial Pale Ales that are strong and more potent in the alcohol and flavor departments. No matter - like any great craft beer, this varies a bit year by year but I still get the same sense of wonder and amazement every year when I crack one of these open and realize that another winter is nearly in the books. Say what you wish, this may never be #1 in anyone else's book but it'll always hold a special place in mine. The way it's taken a grip on me is the same way I feel when I have the last one of these ever year in early April and given how much I love this beer, I wouldn't want it any other way. Nothing makes me smile quite like this, even after all of these years.

03-15-2007 07:54:42 | More by JerzDevl2000
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to todd1 for this one!

Appearance was clear, light amber or dark orange with almost no head, just some lacing on the side of the glass. Some visible carbonation.

Smell is sweet lemonade of oranges and grapefruits. The raw hops are citric and resinous with some pine, very aromatic. The smell of the hops are a little bit pushed back by the sweetness. Great smell though, not something I have smelled before.

Taste is less sweet than the smell would suspect. There is the maltiness combined with a good citric, grapefruittaste and some fresh mowed grass. There is also some hard candy with orange and in general exotic fruit taste. Amazing how well balanced this beer is. The bitterness is not even that high, I expected it to be more aggresive. This must be because of the body. Body is medium and balance is superb.

03-12-2007 20:49:07 | More by Absumaster
badbeer

Iowa

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Clear amber-ish color with a white head that retained well and left good lacing. Smell was plenty hoppy as expected; piney, resiny hops dominate, perhaps a bit of citrus too. There is a little bit of malt prescence, emphasis on the little; this one is plenty hoppy with the same attributes as noted in the nose. Highly carbonated with less than medium body. This is pretty good, would definately drink more of it and it would probably find a good home in my fridge if not for it's distance from me. Luckily for me I have a somewhat-local brewer making a hoppy amber so no worries for me. Worth trying if you run across it.

03-12-2007 18:52:57 | More by badbeer
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

poured into a nonic glass from a 12oz brown long necked bottle with a crimped on cap. My 250th review.

Clear,medium amber color with a 2" frothy white head,decent retention leaving clumpy spotty lacing down the glass.

Intense hop nose,very clean lots of pine,grapefruit,pineapple,resiny. Buried the malt nose out. Great hop aroma, like freshly crushed hop cones.

Fresh clean hop tastes piney,grapefruity, with some burnt carmellness. Very hoppy not much maltiness,yet it has a balanced feel. The hoppiness was intense but not overwelming.

Has a light mouthfeel,not real malty the hoppiness gave an oil slick feel. Can't belive how smooth this beer was with all the hoppiness. Increadible.
Goes down easily,feels so light the hoppiness just creeps up on you slowly,it just doesn't overtake the palate. Leaves a great hop taste lingering on and on.
The drinkability is unbeliveable for the hoppiness,the great hoppy taste makes me want to keep drinking this beer.
A must try beer if you like hops!

03-12-2007 03:43:21 | More by jcdiflorio
montageman

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Very nice, clear reddish golden color with a bone white head that is supple at first and dissipates slowly leaving some incredible lacing and sticking all over the glass. Huge pine nose up front with hints of grapefruit and slight caramel-y sweetness - this smells incredible. The taste is so wonderfully balanced - hops punch you in the face to start with a very nice malty & sweet finish. Absolutely incredible. Mouthfeel is crisp and creamy - so good. I literally could drink this instead of water. If this was dropped instead of bombs, wars would stop and everyone would love each other. Phenomenal stuff. Highest Recommendation.

03-12-2007 01:43:09 | More by montageman
dickroop

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a bronze golden with generous head that lasts and laces. Head is ivory and a little coarse. Nose is fabulous, slightly musty grapefruit, a little yeasty and grassy.

Taste is fairly bitter, not a citrusy as the aroma. Some sweetness as an undertone. This bottle isn't as good as the last one, it's been sitting in my garage 3 weeks and is showing early signs of getting skunked, but it's still a great beer, slight metalic taste at the edges. Still very tasty, finishes bitter. Mouthfeel is enhanced by good carbonation, a little malt-stickiness, bitter astringency. It's solidly medium-bodied with a little oiliness.

Overall, drinkability is quite good because of the pleasures of a great nose and great taste. Not a session beer, but a great sipper

03-11-2007 23:17:45 | More by dickroop
guinnessfan

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Brewtus from Applebee's at the Harrisburg East Mall.

A: Beautiful caramel/orangeish color with a pillowy but onlt 1 finger thick head. Retention is not good, but the lacing is excellent.

S: Hard to tell since it is a damn smoking establishment. The citrusy hops came through, though.

T: Flawless...This is one of my all-time favorite beers. Nice hop power at first, balance by a perfect sweetness. Very mild alcohol.

M: Creamy, thin and slightly oily.

D: The only thing that hurts is the ABV. Other than that, it is perfect.

Once again, another awesome Troegs offering.

03-11-2007 01:20:34 | More by guinnessfan
TurdFurgison

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Impossible to find in OH, I finally bought a case while in Pittsburgh on business. PA beer laws mean you have to buy quantity I think...

All in all this is an IPA, not an amber. The color wasn't even very much amber. It was more of a light copper color. The aroma was intense citrus-like hops and the flavor reminded me of Ruination from Stone. It's awesome, buy it if you see it.

03-10-2007 00:48:20 | More by TurdFurgison
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a nice big head that stays around and has a good lacing. The color is gold/amber and crisp and clear. The smell is great, the hoppiness is fragrant and aromatic. Taste is very nice. The hoppiness is nice, it leaves a little bit of numbness on the tip of my tongue. About like eating black liquorice. Very very well carbonated, nothing too bad. Overall I loved it, it was good to try and I enjoyed it. The aftertaste is a little like bakery fresh doughnuts.

03-09-2007 23:35:01 | More by Erdinger2003
psinderson

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Served on-tap in pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, light rust/copper color. Thick white head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops with a slight caramel note. Floral background.

Taste: Hop wallop up front then balanced with a honey-like background sweetness. Some alcohol as well as a spicy hop bitterness in the end.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin. Hops play in the mouth with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Feels good to drink. The thinner body helps.

03-09-2007 04:30:18 | More by psinderson
velo343

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - Poured into a pint glass. A crystal clear amber/orange with a medium white head. Not too much lacing. The color is almost like a raging fire, tempting me to touch it. Or drink it, as the case may be.

Smell - A whole lot of citrus hops. Oranges, tons of grapefruit, a lemony pine smell. Definitely a lot of sweet, caramel fragrances too.

Taste - A malt character not unlike toasted flatbread--lots of flavor, but not so much body and richness that it overwhelms the senses. The grapefruit smell also makes its presence known in the taste, and there's an underlying bitterness that just noticeable as the sip is finished and lingers on for a little bit longer.

Drinkability - Too tasty and delectable for 7.5%. This one is trouble. And I mean that in a very good way. While it has a strong hop aroma, the taste is not overpowering by any means and won't dull your tastebuds for another. Well-rounded and very satisfying.

03-08-2007 01:17:02 | More by velo343
mobud

Delaware

4.03/5  rDev -7.4%

Sampled in a pint glass. Nice clear orange color; light head that lingers to the end. Muted hops smell; not the overwelming nose of a hopbomb. The first sip is nice on the tongue and has a malty feel rather than the over the top pine resin notes of a overhopped beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and goes down real nice. A lite hop tingle remains on the tongue afterwards. The ABV of this beer around 7.5, but you would not know it from the sample and it could get you if you are not on your game.. Better to slowdown and enjoy this treat. This beer does a fine job of combinding heavy hops with a nice malt foundation.

03-08-2007 01:04:40 | More by mobud
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The color of this beer was a very clear orange and I immediately thought it looked like an IPA. The head was large, fluffy, and off-white. I waited a dew minutes for the head too settle and took a whiff. The smell was of nice dank, grassy hops and a little floral. The taste did not disappoint and also had a floral and grassy taste. It was very herbal, dank, and completely delicious. Nugget Nectar is very easy to drink given the smooth mouth-feel and the fact that the alcohol doesn’t seem to be present to the taste. I would buy several cases when it is released every year but alas I live in Colorado and not Pennsylvania. The other two bottles I have left will be thoroughly enjoyed. Many thanks go to Todd1 for sending this my way.

03-07-2007 16:15:12 | More by ArrogantB
matthewfuchs

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

AMAZING BEER ON CASK!!! Very smooth, lots of flavor with very little bite on cask. Golden Amber in color. Peachy goodness all up on my tongue. The sweetness sticks around and turns into a nice growing hop finish. Fills your mouth perfectly. If you see this on cask, try it. I had mine at Fatheads in southside Pittsburgh.

Serving type: cask

03-07-2007 07:06:43 | More by matthewfuchs
kush6875

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

A beer for hop heads!

served out of a bottle:

orange-tangerine color, smells of intense hops and fresh citrus, well hops explode on the palate followed by a nice sweet maltiness. mouthfeel is nice and smooth. tastes like a sweet pink grapefruit. very very drinkable for a hop-head but be aware of the alcohol content it is very well hidden.

03-07-2007 04:35:18 | More by kush6875
BrewAStorm

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 12oz bottle. Bottle has "Bottled 02/20/2007" printed on rear neck. Poured into 16oz pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden/amber with moderate carbonation, slight head around 1/4 inch, that shrinks in size but remains well after the pour. There is no reason why I shouldn't give this a "5" but I haven't seen a "5" and can't say any beer has had the perfect appearance.

S: Major hints of Grapefruit and citrus, the Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops make their presence known immediately. This is balanced out with just the slightest hint of malts. This beer has to be excellent based on smell alone.

T: Wow again! Lots of hops, but the malts do not let the bitterness get out of hand. This isn't the hoppiest beer I've ever had but one of the best balanced.

M: Again with the balance. The bitterness doesn't distract ruin anything. This it is so crisp that I don't mind letting it remain in my mouth for a little longer.

D: The 7.5% abv makes this beer a sipper. Its a beer to relax and enjoy a meal with. Any more then three or four pints would give too much of a kick.

Overall a 98 in my mind. I liked this beer so much I went back and bought a case the day after I purchased the first 6-pack. Definitely worth a try!

03-06-2007 21:21:51 | More by BrewAStorm
Alkey

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz. bottle poured a clear dark golden color with some slow moving bubbles and a large white head that leaves rings of lace around the glass. The smell is mostly made up of some fresh floral hops. The taste is kind of watery at first but finishes with lots of grassy hop flavors and a decent amount of bitterness. The feel seems a little light and watery but makes it thirst quenching and very easy to drink.

03-06-2007 18:20:48 | More by Alkey
Photo of

4.35/5  rDev 0%

12oz. bottle.

A clear, deep gold-amber colored fluid filled my glass, and was topped by a large, creamy off-white head. Very lively carbonation. Bottle tells me the hops are Nugget, Warrior & Tomahawk, and that it is 93ish IBUs.

Pine & grapefruit almost exclusively in the aroma. A bit of bread for the hops to sit on. Pineapple and tropical fruits as it warmed (pointed out by non-beer drinking wife who has a much better nose than I do).

Taste is grapefruit, with a better balance than the aroma suggests. However, this beer is about the hops, make no mistake. Bit of biscuity character. Faint sweetness after about half the glass, maybe oranges. Alcohol very well hidden.

Medium + in body. Medium carbonation. Refreshing, and a bit drying. Very smooth.

Easy to drink despite hop level and ABV. Reminds me just a bit of Two Hearted. For me, dangerously sessionable.

03-05-2007 15:29:18 | More by
jaxon53

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to markgugs for this beer!

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass. Poured a somewhat hazy copper amber color with tiny carbonation bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. About a finger of tight bubbly off-white head formed in the glass. Head dissapeared rather quickly into a frothy ring around the glass. Smell: was of piney, citrusy, hops that were nicely balanced with sweet malt. Short blasts of grapefruit, lemon zest, and some slight flowery aromas as well. Taste: Bitter hops. Tons of hops on a rather sweet malty backbone. Grapefruit, orange flavors were also detected. Very well hidden alcohol. Mouthfeel was full, oily, and very smooth. Very complex brew. Drinkability was great. Easy to drink and leaves me craving more.

03-04-2007 23:16:45 | More by jaxon53
umfskibum

Maine

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Tried this at the EBF and loved it, and now have opened a 12 oz bottle (thanks to markgugs!) for a proper review.

A: Beautiful dark honey color, great clarity and just the slightest bit of visible carbonation. A couple fingers worth of foam head, which leaves lotsa suds and some nice lacing after it disipates.

S: If it was possible to give the nose of a beer higher than a 5, this Troegs would take the cake. I have no doubt that hopheads 'round the world would line up if the brewers offered some sort of Nugget Nectar air freshener. Pine and citrus hop scents (and you can really pick out the nugget, warrior and tomahawk hops from the nose alone) and some slight sweet mals balance each other out.

T: The hoppiness of this beer, alongside a real absence of the biting bitterness you usually find in these hopmonsters, is unreal. Really nice malt smoothness backs up the initial hop taste. Grapefruit, caramel and honey flavors are most prevalent.

M: Nice and creamy, with a perfect amount of carbonation. A nice little bit of stickyness stays in the mouth for a little while.

D: After having this brew at the EBF, I had to get a bottle to make sure I wasn't imagining the unbelievable qualities of this beer I picked up in a 3 oz pour. Needless to say, it lived up to all my expectations.
D:

03-02-2007 23:16:46 | More by umfskibum
nriech

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Light amber, a bit of medium white head.

Smell: Lots of citric hop aromas. Doesnt smell quite as hoppy as an IPA, just a few notches below. A little sweetness also.

Taste: Strong hops, sweet caramel malts but still overall a mild flavor. A bit of honey and grapes. Goes down very easily. A little bit thick, maybe oily? I really could drink this as a standard and wish it wasnt brewed so infrequently as its hard to find.

Overall: If you like hops but dont want to destroy your pallate so you can enjoy other food or beer, this is the top choice. It has great balance without loosing anything in the process.

03-02-2007 20:35:58 | More by nriech
jmalex

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

This one's been out for awhile this year, but I've held off trying it on tap until I could sit down with one at home. So after getting 2 in a six-pack swap last week, it's now time.

APPEARANCE: Pours a light amber/red/gold (what a cool color!). A large white head drops to a thick collar around the glass with plenty of foam still dotting the surface. Lacing is tremendous and covers the entirety of the glass.

SMELL: Strong aromas of pungent, bitter hops. Heavy floral notes along with some citrus. The malt is tough to pick out, but it's there... barely.

TASTE: The taste is remarkably quite heavy in maltiness. Oh, the hops are there. Absolutely. But the balance in this beer is achieved wonderfully. The malt and hops race to your palette, each trying to be the first, but they reach it in a delicious and well-balanced tie. Citrusy hops take a brief but big lead lasting until you're ready to swallow. The malt gets the last laugh however, finishing with a bready sweetness. A multi-dementional beer to say the least.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied and only slightly slick and syrupy. The carbonation is great.

DRINKABILITY: Very drinkable. I was shocked to read 7.5% on the label. Goes down way to easy. Well done Tröegs!

Major props to Tröegs for coming up with basically an all new style, Imperial Amber. The balance that this beer achieves is striking. I now wish I hadn't waiting until now to try this.

03-02-2007 20:14:21 | More by jmalex