Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,618 | Reviews: 2,450
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 1/14/11.

A: Dark amber body, respectable head and lacing.

S: Grapefruits and other citrus, mangoes, and other tropical fruits. Quite delectable.

T: Big-time citrus hops overlaid on a backbone of candy-like sweetness. Piney and grassy notes.

M: Middle of the road, feels pretty resiny.

D: Very well done and amazingly easy to put down. A treat for hopheads.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottled on 01/07/11, Drank/Reviewed on 01/30/11. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada tumbler.

Very clear amber with a nice one finger off white head. Decent lacing.

Smells great. Hops dominate the nose: mostly fruity (mango, pineapple, and grapefruit) but a little bit of pine as well. Good balance of fruit and floral. Some nice malt and sweetness as well.

Taste matches the smell, but it's incredibly balanced. Tastes less like an IPA than it smells, but it's close. The hops are there, but the bitterness isn't as much. Instead, there is a fruity flavor from the hops backed with some nice malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability is high. All around excellent beer from a very reliable brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

I've had this beer many times, finally getting around to reviewing it.

Pours a clear still amber with two fingers of off white rocky head that hangs around for most of the drink.

Aroma is dominated by piney hops but there is also a solid dose of caramel malt in the background. Unfortunately, the blast of hops fades relatively quickly. I've had this on tap quite a bit and I feel like the hops are stronger and linger around for longer as well.

Taste is similar featuring lots of sticky pine resin hop flavors up front with some malt sweetness and a relatively bitter resiny finish.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with tons of carbonation and a sticky overall feel. I always look forward to Nugget Nectar every winter but I prefer it on tap. It doesn't quite stand up to some of the great IPA's out there, but it's not supposed to, it's an Amber and by far my favorite of the style.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one countless times and can't belive that that I have never reviewed it. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated 1/07/2011 into a Hoppin' Frog pint glass...

A - Pours a nice clear, amber-orange color with a very slight off-white color head that very quickly recedes to a top with some patchy yeast spots. Really nice lacing.

S - Floral hops, some great fruit notes as well. Getting some slight pineapple and a little grapefruit. Nice pine scents as well. I seem to remember this one having a much brighter scent, but still quite nice.

T - Fruity and sweet right up front. Great floral, citrusy hops right away. Piney flavors come through. Great malty backbone. Best, and maybe only?, imperial amber ale I have ever had.

M - Medium bodied and a really nice level of carbonation. Nice bitterness at the end of the palate. Nice feel.

D - Quite drinkable and a really nice, and my personal favorite from Troeg's. Glad that I get to have this as much as I can when it comes out.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Date: 30 January 2011
Glass: Pint glass
Type: On-tap @ R.F.D. Washington in Downtown DC

Taken from notes.

Appearance: Although it was a dark bar, color appeared to be a clear copper with average lacing.

Smell: Pine, little citrus, very fresh hops, slightly roasted malts

Taste: Delicious bitterings hops, bitter between tastings, bitter orange, angostura, sweet biscuit, touch of spice

Mouthfeel: Very biscuit-like bitterness on the palate between tastes.

Drinkability: Alcohol hotness isn't very present, making this a slightly higher ABV session beer.

Certainly not as hoppy as last year's brew if I remember correctly, but very good.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

My favorite Troegs offering to date, poured into a snifter.

Has a nice amber look with shining yellow highlights, a nice full foamy head that dies after some time and leaves nice legs wherever it touches on the glass.

Smell was at first (near the front of the pour) almost IPA/Double IPA like in its awesome citrus and tangerine/pine hop character, but this smell died down once the head went down as well and took a back seat to the dry biscuity sweet wheaty maltiness of fine amber ales. Good stuff, just wish the hops stayed around through enjoying the beer.

Taste is consistently nice with the hops, and features a sugary sweet front and a semi bitter (not too much) citrusy back. Tangerine, bready notes, lemon zest and the signature amber malt strains prevail. A tasty brew for sure.

Mouthfeel is a nice medium to light feel, bitter on the tongue in the back, good carbonation. This is quite a drinkable beer, a very nice offering from troegs.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12oz into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a nice amber color with a nice white head. Okay, retention and leaves little lacing.

Smell- Hops, pine, grapefruit, and other citrus notes.

Taste- Like the nose, nice and hoppy with some citrus notes. Almost no bitterness. Tastes amazing.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and a little sticky.

Drinkability- This goes down really easily, the lack of bitterness makes this great.

First of my reviews from the outside tasting at Sexual Chocolate '11. Pours a pretty amber color with a thick yellowish white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells of caramel malts and a fruity hops aroma. Tastes of strong fruity hops and pine and a little pineapple or something. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is high.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Beautiful, dark copper color (looks great when held up to the light) with little head, but fantastic lacing.

S - A piny, citrus (lean toward grapefruit) scent. Very floral too a great smelling beer.

T - This beer's main draw for people. When you hold it up to take a sip you get a waft of the pine, but once it's in your mouth it molds into a citrus-y hopp-y conglomeration of deliciousness. Packed full of hops, but is well balanced and not obnoxious.

M - It's a bit sticky vaguely syrup-y, but it's from all the delicious nugget nectar...

D - All night long...only draw back is the ABV wish it was lower, but then again not...

An awesome beer and is a top five favorite of mine. I look forward to January for one reason...Troeg's Nugget Nectar.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice, clear amber/orange. little lacing around the edge of the glass but little head.

Smell: fruity, mango-pinapple is prominent. slight bready malt smell in the background

Taste: woah...very hoppy bitterness but the fruitiness comes through nicely and is cleaned up by a slightly malty finish.

Mouthfeel: a pinish taste lingers behind but little else. actually very refreshing. can feel the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the first time having nugget nectar and certainly won't be the last. A very fine beer. ABV is hidden very well.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass from Abe's of Bethlehem, PA.

A- Golden amber color with very nice head. Impeccably clear. Nice lacing.

S- Very nice floral/fruit hop aroma. This beer means business.

T- Very nice rich copper caramel malt profile with perfectly balanced hops.

M- Medium with large bubbles. Slight astringent twinge.

D- Very good "sessionable" strong ale.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%

Paid $2.20 for a single at Ludlow Wines in Clifton...

Pours clear and amber, 1/4" head, decent retention and no lacing on the glass. Extremely nice smell of aromatic/floral hops, great malt and honey smell as well.

Yummy, a near-perfect hybrid of an amber ale meets IPA; the elements present on the nose are there in the taste, light in the mouth, no notice of alcohol; finishes dry with a honey-hop/sweet aftertaste. Easy in the mouth, but a creamier head would make this beer near perfect. A great session beer whose mild sweetness will pace your drink-flow.

Final Thought: HIGHEST RATED BEER, WOW (300+ reviews), says it all.

This is a must for people who love amber ales and IPA's; Troegs really mastered this gem.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Live review of a 12 oz bottle marked "Bottled 010311 16:24 Batch #101209."
A: Red-brownish amber, it poured with a one-finger dark cream head that died a thin film and a collar with a bit of lacing.
S: Slightly cheezy and earthy, sweet honey and orange that comes off like peach. Good.
T: Hops come off almost like ginger, with a slightly toffee and caramel honey-wheat bread. There is an almost metallic copper finish... the malt almost tastes fresh. Interesting.
M: Thinner than I'd like, with less carbonation, too.
D: Great. I feel like I can put down a couple of these in a row and still enjoy the last sips.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours amber with a white head. Smell of hops and citrus. Smells really good, not overpowering, but enjoyable. Taste is of a really balanced, strong hop forward flavor. Tempered bitterness, like having a jalapeño sauce that tastes like jalapeño but isn't spicy. The mouthfeel is right on, moderate carbonation. This is a scary drinkable, hop forward beer. I could drink this all night, really fantastic.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops, some citrus. Taste is goos, lots of hops up front, a good bit of citrus for balance, lots of flavor here. Feels full bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall I am not much of a hop head, but this is one damn good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pretty amber or burnt orange color with a nice fluffy head that reduces to a thin head as you drink.

S: It hit me hard at first and let me know I was getting into a beer that I'd like. Hops are very prevalent like you find with bigger IPAs. Citrus behind that blending into a very welcoming aroma.

T: Expected it to be a big hoppy almost DIPA from the smell but found that it was much milder than that. The hops are certainly there though and very appreciated. They don't get in the way of the nice citrusy crispness. Perfect blend of hops that make for a nice, hoppy and balanced beer. Now I know what all the hype was about.

M: Somewhat creamy and crisp? Nicely carbonated with a bitterness that makes the taste pop.

D: Could definitely see myself tossing back several of these with ease. Higher ABV may make it harder to keep up with it but I doubt the flavor will ever be lost.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Pours a deep reddish amber, good amount of carbonation rising from the bottom. Small, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, lacing goes down the glass with the beer.

S - I can smell the beer from about a foot away. Sort of some citrusy pine, a mango/peach scent with a good malt background.

T - Lots and lots of hops right up front. It feels like a good American IPA/DIPA, but there is that good amount of maltiness in there. Much more bitterness than sweet, but the finish is just the slightest bit sweet.

M - A decent amount of carbonation is present in the mouth. It somewhat coats the throat, not much alcohol presence, hidden very nicely.

D - Very flavorful and a good amount of bitterness. It's certainly a nice beer to just enjoy, but incredibly drinkable.

Overall - My first experience with Nugget Nectar and I'm very, very impressed. The beer's appearance and smell are just wonderful. I love the balance in this beer, and how hoppy they are able to make an amber/red. Wonderful

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

A: nice amber/red color, pours a thin head that fades but still leaves some nice lacing throughout

S: smells like a troegs beer, which I really like. All of their brews seem to share some similar malty sweetness, although this beer has a unique sweet hoppy smell. Overall a very well balance nose.

T: Hoppy sweetness seems to be the strongest point of this beer as the beer hits you with a very well balanced bitterness which fades into a malty sweetness that is very welcoming. Some slight warming in the end, but everything seems to work very well together

M/D: a little lighter body than I expect/might want, but overall a very drinkable beer with some fantastic qualities

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a deep clear amber color with a 1 finger white head. Soapy lacing is abundant.

S - Abundant complexity hits the nostrils. Scents of mango, peach, apricot, and orange. Hoppy citrus is in there too.

T - Flavors of fresh cut citrus fruit (mango, apricot, kiwi, and orange) are coupled with bright hop bitterness. It's balanced out by a nice malt backbone. I swear it tastes like they brewed this with fruit.

M - Moderate bodied and ticklish carbonation make this an easy drinker. Quite smooth, yet crisp and refreshing.

O - If only this flavorful of a beer could be brewed at a lower gravity, I could drink this all day. The only downside (if you can call it that) is the ABV. Since it's a seasonal release, I guess it doesn't matter all that much. A solid Amber/Red Ale and one of the best in it's style. More please.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle poured into snifter. FRESH beer. Dated 2011.

A: I love the look of this one! Clear, amber gold color. Definitely filtered, as there is no hazy in this one.

S: HOPS...and more hops. I love the nose. Very florally with some citrus. Actually though I was digging into a West Coast style when I popped the top.

T: Don't get me wrong, it's very hoppy and fresh. But there is a malt finish/backbone to this one. I was surprised actually.

M: This does have some body to it, but not overpowering in the mouthfeel. Definitely not sticky or anything.

D: Very drinkable! I love that this time around I got in 12oz 6-pack....whereas the 22oz bottle before. I could have downed many!

Overall, my favorite beer from Troeg's. I really enjoy HopBack a lot, and think this is a STEP UP from that. Nice beer!

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

From bomber to pint glass on 1/27/11

A: This beer has been filtered, and therefore has great clarity. I wouldn't go out of my way to call it "red" in color, but it is a light shade of amber in my glass. Good head on an average pour, around 1.75 fingers. The lacing, though present, doesn't seem to stick, but rather run down the glass, which is not quite what I was expecting.

S: Pineapple upside down cake. Yummm - fresh hops! I literally pop the cap and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I don't even have to put my nose in the glass, the heavenly scent simply drifts through the air and easily finds my schnoz.

T: Quite spectacular. It's amazing how this beer is hopped like a heavy American IPA or DIPA, but yet has the really forceful malt backbone of a red. I think if this wasn't as fresh, the malt would certainly overwhelm and could easily make this beer fall apart. As it stands now, it's simply amazing. Close my eyes and I'd swear I'm drinking an IPA! As the fresh hop oil and malt dissipate, I get a very biscuity finish.

M: I sometimes wonder if it's the mouthfeel that seals the deal with a good beer, as it really is so very important. In the case of Nugget Nectar, it's perfect. Medium to heavy mouthfeel - certainly weightier then a standard IPA, with carbonation that's just right.

O: I'll admit I was ever so slightly skeptical about this one, as I wasn't a huge fan of the Troeg bother's Mad Elf. But I'm simply astounded by how much I throughly enjoy this beer. Nugget Nectar is a game changer - IPA hops and a red's malty spine. I would highly recommend drinking this fresh, as the hop profile is magnificent. For $4.99 a bomber, I plan on stocking up.

Insanely drinkable, and absolutely worth seeking out.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

A= Nice Amber color, White head lots of lacing.

S= The main thing I notice about the nose is the PINE lots of PINE. I only get a little grapefruit really like the nose.

T= I get some pine in the taste some citrus mainly grapefruit. It's kind of bready really a good taste.

M= Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

D= Really drinkable really enjoyed this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up from the brewery, bottled on 1/18/11

A: Clear amber pour with a frothy white head that rests atop throughout the entire drink, a few lacing. 4

S: Smell is filled with hops. Lots and lots of hops! Nice malty backbone to balance it out. 4

T: Like the smell, the taste is full of hops and has a nice bitterness to it up front, a bit piney even. It's all held together by a maltiness that rears its head at the end, and stays with you. 4.5

MF: Light and crisp, keeps you coming back for more. 4.5

D: Really high. Extremely enjoyable beer. 4.5

---

Since the above review, I have had Nugget Nectar on firkin twice. The first at Z Bar at the Deli and the second at Zeno's Pub. I wanted to update my review to match that.

The firkin version is much more balanced. The drop in carbonation produces a much less hop forward beer, and a much more drinkable one as well. The balance is truly amazing and I could drink it all night. For me, the firkin version is what puts this beer in an elite category.

---

2012 Vintage, bottled (I believe) on 1/27/12, reviewed on 3/23/12

A: Deep red-orange pour with around a finger of wispy white head, filled with large bubbles. The retention here is really phenomenal and and leaves behind lacing on the glass to remind you of where its been. 4.5

S: Citrus, grapefruit and piney hops rest on top of your caramel malt backbone that is more typical of the Amber Ale style. Smells much more like an IPA than an Amber. 4.5

T: The taste this year is a bit stepped back from previous years. I posit it comes from the different water Troegs used to brew it. The hops just seem toned down from what I remember. The balance is there with the malts playing a small, but important role. The taste is much more fruity than I recall, with a lot of citrus and an average amount of bitter hops taking over. This seems to be more like a strong Amber than the Nugget Nectar I learned to love. 4

MF: Light to medium body with an average amount of carbonation. This has a nice dry finish and leaves a nice taste on the palate for a good while. The best quality of Nugget Nectar is its drinkability, which is perfect. 5

O: I look forward to this every year. It's priced well, delicious, and well regarded. I do, however, hop next year returns this beer to its former glory.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip - no best by date visible.

Poured clear light red with orange hues,two finger head ,decent carbonation ,good lacing.

Smell - Pine notes with light citrus ,hops.

Taste - hops were upfont with some mild pine notes,decent malt backing.

Drinkability - This was a surprise for me - a hop bomb amber ale, almost an IPA in the hop profile with enough malt to balance it out -well balanced and blended beer - will definitly buy more when it comes around again .

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Received as an extra from BA thebroth - thanks. Drank from a big old St. Bernardus goblet. The beer poured a rich, clear rusty amber with a good two fingers of white frothy head. This is the cat pee-y-ist smelling beer I've ever jammed my nose into ... and I feel almost embarrassed to say just how delicious that smell seemed to me. Taste is very bitter up front, followed by a sweet maltiness, finishing back on a bitter note. The beer had a medium mouthfeel, with tingly carbonation and a nice creaminess to it. It was very good, but the bitterness beats up on your palate a little.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company