Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,618 | Reviews: 2,449
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

LIVE review!

Nugget Nectar - I am a fan...

pours a very nice reddish/amber color with a decent amount of head that dissipates rather quickly. Taste is a bit bitter at first, but as it warms the fruitiness and other juicy flavors come out and become quite enjoyable.

I got two of these in a trade and I'm definitely looking forward to cracking open the next one!

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours nice copper color with a finger thick creamy head with perfect amount of lacing.

S: Citrus and a fair amount of hops. Overall very pleasant.

T: Decent amount of hops, probably not as much as I would prefer but overall not bad. Grapefruit finish leaves a very pleasant aftertaste.

M: Light-medium bodies with a suprising amount of carbonation for the style.

D: Very easy to put back a couple of these. Was thinking it would be a little bit hoppier (probably because of the name), but overall a very good beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Acquired thanks to cpetrone84.

Pours a nice deep copper, moving to amber, good clarity, a little chill haze on this one, with a decent 1-2 cm head. The head kind of falls down leaving a ring around the ed and a little pillow in the middle. Moderate lacing, but not too sticky. The smell is slightly floral and pungent hops, almost musty in there. With some raw graininess. You also get some melon smells, like honeydew, but a little bitter and resinous, with just some notes of tangerine in the end. The taste is nice. Starts out with tangerine, lime, and a bit of bitterness. Then a bit of a grainy sweetness comes in, moving to a kind of melon taste that I think is somewhat common in Nugget Hops. There's also a little pine and a tiny bit of grass and leaves, but the fleshy, bitter fruit taste seems to win here. Finishes nice and dry with a little crisp bite of bitterness. I think the body is a little thinner than I'd like, definitely on the thin side of medium, and when I drink an imperial amber, I like that sticky, bready malt body to really almost battle with the hops, letting the hops win out, but really balancing them so their fruitiness wins. The carbonation is nice, not a lot of bite, but just lively enough to let you know it's there. Overall, a pretty nice amber ale, one of the better and more enjoyable ones, it stands out in the top 3-5 of the imperial reds I've had (though this isn't the most bountiful style), but I don't think it does enough to set itself apart. I would definitely go back, maybe drink a few in a night, and I would definitely be happy.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance - Golden coloring, huge head that lasts for a good long time. Nice lacing forms as the head retracts. Very light carbonation.

Smell - Smells like a lively IPA/DIPA. Big fruit salad nose, some malt sweetness as well. Swirl it around and you'll get another big caress of flowerly, piney hop nose.

Taste - Ample hoppy opening, balanced with a nice sweet malty middle and finishes with a slight bite. When I first smelled this, I was fully expecting a hop bomb and questioned why this wouldn't be classified as an IPA? There is a refreshing balance here.

Mouthfeel - All beer here nothing added by overcarbonation. Big mouthfeel. Crisp finish is a refreshing added feature.

Drinkability - Really, really hard category to judge. I mean, this and Fat Tire in the same class? This was my first Troegs offering and what a nice offering it was. Would love to find these locally. To no avail.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to big, bad Chris for coming through with the latest haul of hard to get goodies!

Clear copper with a fine creamy eggshell head that lasts and leaves sheets of lace on the glass. Nice resinous hoppy aroma with pine, citrus, herbal and floral hop notes and mildly toasty grain. The malt flavors are smooth and lean like a lager while the hop flavors are more pronounced and complex. Finishes squeaky clean. Medium light bodied with prickly carbonation. This is an amazingly easy to drink, smooth, hoppy and delicious beer. The alcohol is very well hidden for 7.5%. A fine ale indeed and a rare treat in Indy.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks to drabmuh for sending this my way!

A - Pours clear amber with a modest off-white head that shows great retention. Lacing is moderate.

S - Lots of floral hops in the nose with some pine in there as well. A caramel-like sweetness brings a nice balance.

T - Starts off bitter with notes of citrus and pine being the most dominant. There's an underlying earthy bitterness here as well. A solid malt backbone makes it's presence known in the finish, accompanied by a lingering bitterness. Great balance.

M - Full-bodied with a clean finish. Carbonation does a good job of staying out of the way.

D - This is a great amber, and very sessionable. It definitely doesn't drink like an "imperial" beer. Nicely done.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked up a growler off tap... Poured into pint glass.

A- pours a reddish amber. Decent head that soon disappears

S- strong citrus hops presence. Some malty scents as well. The scents are very, very strong and impressive

T- great blend of sweet malt and bitter hops. Citrus, pineapple, and caramel flavors blend into a tasty profile. This is very drinkable and delicious too. The malt remains as the brew goes down

M- medium bodied and carbonated

D- no question about it. This beers lives up to the hype. The consistent combo of malts and hops makes the theme of a sweet hop bomb come into fruition. Wish this was available all the time.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured clear with a frothy white head, lace was ok. First smell was caramel with a nice hop backbone. I haven't smelled a beer like this in a while, great. Tastes the same. Well balanced and full of flavor. Caramel malts balanced with the hop character and finishes with a smooth toasty flavor, I love it. this beer drinks well with the best of them. I am mad I can't get this at home!

-Bye

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Many thanks to BuffaloBelgians for this one!

A: Burnt orange color, fully translucent. Aggressive pour gives a small off white head. A ring stays on top with quite good lacing.

S: Well, there's grapefruit in this for sure! Tons of lemon peel too and tangerine smell. Very fruity and juicy smell overall, inviting! Not much malts though, which is odd for an amber ale. Some sweetness, like maple water.

T: Like the name says, it's a hoppy beer. Grapefruit is VERY present as well as lemon zest and tangerine, just like the smell tells. Very juicy taste overall. Also, piny hops are present. A light malt sweetness is present, which compliments well the beer.

M: Ohh, this is a good feeling beer. Medium body, very creamy but with enough carbonation to keep it very lively.

D: Very fruity/juicy/refreshing brew this is. Easy to drink beer for sure!

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Poured out as a very nice red or amber color. Really appetizing. Not much head at all, which was a little disappointing, but that could have just been my pour.

S - Incredible. I'm a fan of hoppy beers, so this is right up my alley. Lots of great, citrus-y hops. Kind of makes you forget that this an amber/red ale. Certainly doesn't smell like one.

T - Very nice balance between the hops and the malts. Based on the smell, I was expecting a pretty powerful hops flavor, but it's actually pretty nicely balanced. Feels like I got a bit of a hop bite, finished with some of the maltiness you'd expect from an amber/red.

M - Pretty solid. Nothing to write home about when compared to the taste and smell, but definitely not a negative here.

D - I like this beer a lot. The only thing that kind of troubles me is that it doesn't taste like an amber to me. Tastes and smells to hoppy. However, it is damn good, so I'm not going to hold a grudge.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

New Beer Friday! A big thanks to neorunner for this great beer. Cheers!

Bottled February 17, 2010.

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a relatively clear dark amber color with over a finger of whit head that dissipates at a moderate speed leaving some nice looking lacing.

Smell - A wonderful passion fruit citrus aroma wafts toward me as soon as I pour this into the glass. Mango, ripe grapefruit, and a hint of orange. The hops are actually on the backend of the aroma which to be honest I am somewhat happy about because this beer is beginning to smell similar to the Oracle which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Taste - As heavily citrus smelling as it was, there is still an immediate hop bite with the first sip I take. However, it is extremely balanced as the somewhat bitter hop/piney taste melds into the wonderful passion citrus flavors (as previously mentioned) along with a nice malty, caramel backbone. The finish actually has a nice spicy hop bite. Damn, I'm glad I have five more of these!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy, adequate/well balanced carbonation, and finishes with just a hint of dryness.

Drinkability - Extremely. This is a damn good and pretty sessionable for the abv and style. I really haven't had many American Amber/Red Ale's but this seems more like a D/IPA. I'm glad I was able to try this finally and once I'm back in the Midwest will be looking for this (since it will be most likely more readily available there than out here in CA).

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

A: 1 finger of head with and amber color and very nice lacing/retention.

S: Smells like hops and crystal malts with a pretty balanced aroma.

T: Hoppy,almost more like an IPA than a red; balanced by sweetness on the finish. Very full. Tastes good, I but I personally prefer my ambers a little less hoppy, this just makes me want a good IPA.

M/D: Hoppy and bubbly. Strong but good.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to CWPS48 , for including in trade:

P: amber/orange with light .5 finger head. Nice lacing throughout.
A: the name is right on. Citrus hops. Smells like nectarines maybe. Syrypy sweet smell.
T: not nearly as sweet as it smells. Hop bitterness upfront, immediately followed by quick sweet malt balance. Definitely a hoppy beer, but tremendously well balanced. You really get both sensations on the tongue. Less of a hops finish than other beers of this ibu.
M: hops upfront, malt finish. Very smooth and drinkable with just the right ammt of carbonation. Don't feel the alcohol in the mouth much at all.

Really like this one. I would definitely pick up more if given the opportunity.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into my snifter

A: This beer is a transparent orange copper. About a half inch of creamy head sits on top of the pour but it disappears every quickly.
S: The malt and hops create a slightly piney, very earthy aroma.
T: The piney and citrus hops flavor plus a taste of honey meld together to give this beer the flavor of tangerine.
M: Nugget has a medium body with a slight hint of carbonation.
D: Whether you are a hophead or not NN is very drinkable. It is a perfect marriage of malt and hops that make for easy drinking and tons of flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

On draft at ujs glenside. Thanks to andy for keeping it real for all these years, big ups.

A- golden copper orange with straw yellow high lights nice two fingers of head that left spots of lace.

S- ahh there it is. Sweet caramel malts and beautiful citrus hops. Layer upon layer of complexity.

T- sweet honey and caramel malts, so good. Big citrus and tacky pine sap. Think grapefruit with a touch of satsuma. Super dank stuff.

M- medium carb and a nice thicker then normal for an amber mouth feel. Just a bit of slip to it.

D- well its the tits to be sure and god bless the fact that I get this baller ass brew all the time. I would and have consumed this stuff to my own obliteration. Never to much and never to little.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours amber red giving way to a smaller head... transparent and filtered

Smells of strong apricot and slight malt.

Tastes fruity but also has that malty hoppy taste that a beer should have.

Mouthfeel, slightly carbonated almost juice esque if that makes any sense

Drinkability...2 or 3 then i would need to cleanse the pallet with something else.

not a bad beer

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

3 month old 22oz bottle in a DFH snifter

A- Nice red color. Poured with about one finger of head, dissipated fairly quickly
S- A piney raisiny nuttyness with a little bit of citrus
T- Malt and some nuttyness then becomes bitter on the finish
M- Feels very light bodied
D- Complex but goes down easy.

When I first tried this beer I wasn't sure how much I enjoyed it. Now I'm going to try and drink it more often.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Had on tap at Catskeller at the University of Cincinnati, some people complain about meetings getting canceled, I take advantage!

A - Pours a clear and beautiful amber with a finger of white frothy head that doesn't disappear quickly.

S - Very fresh hoppy citrus aroma with plenty of light malty sweetness to back it up, a definite winner!

T - Taste is a perfect blend of amber and ipa. The amber ale malt comes out only to blend with a sweet and grapefruit like hop flavor. Fantastic flavor, I see why the hype exists!

M/D - Mouthfeel is very even and on the thinner side, but that only helps the drinkability.

I would say the hops really come out of this beer on tap, get it if you can find it!

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle served in a La Chouffe tulip in 2 pours. The date code on the bottle is a little smudgy- I think it reads 412301010- not sure how to translate that.

Pours out a slightly hazy caramel orange with a bright head of a finger's depth. This doesn't stick around for long, but leaves some decent lacing that's thicker and shiny up top, thinner and sticky down below.

Good nose on this. Sweet fresh citrus- oranges, tangerines, a bit of pineapple- with a lightly sweet maltiness in the background.

The malt is more substantial than I anticipated up front, but it's only a brief flash of bready sweetnesss before the hops take over. The sweeter citrus I smelled is definitely present, but there's also a nice dose of tart grapefruit and a piney bitterness that is fairly strong for a moment, but then disappears abruptly along with the other hop flavors for a surprisingly dry finish. A bit oily before the finish- nice feel in general. Just enough carbonation to keep things flowing. A little bready sweetness returns in the aftertaste.

Overall impression: Very enjoyable beer. I'd put away a ton of this stuff if it was available locally.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Ok, let's start with the truth. Hoppy beer is not my thing, but I live in Troegs country and know how popular the Nugget Nectar is, so I decided to try one.

I can appreciate good beer no matter if it is my thing or not. And I enjoyed the Nugget Nectar far more than I would have guessed. So the B I will give it, is about as high as I can go.

Appearance: Light Amber with a hint of orange. 3 Finger of foam held up very nicely.

Smell: Ale and hops. A lot of aroma hops that were very pleasant in relation to the beer. The Malt and grain were very faint.

Taste: Oh so very interesting. I got 3 distinct things going on in the taste. First a wif of hops and a nice light ale, followed quickly by grassy lemony hops, and then strong bitterness (but not unpleasantly so). Each sip took me through these steps. So this was more of a thrill ride for my senses than a beer I would drink regularly.

Mouthfeel: Nice and pleasant. Appropriate to style.

Drinkability: I think I would drink this again, maybe one a year just for the experience. That is pretty good, because most heavily hopped ales go on my avoid list.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear amber/mahogany color with one and a half fingers of head. Lace develops along the top of the glass.

S: Citrus and mango hops. A touch of grapefruit here as well. No real malt in the nose.

T: All the hops smells come through in the taste. Also some piney hop flavor. I can't really distinguish why this is an imperial amber and not an imperial ipa. Very nice taste though.

M: Fairly creamy. Hops linger on the tastebuds, but not overwhelmingly so. Moderate carbonation.

D: Very smooth drinking and sessionable for the style. Wish we could get this down here.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Abecall again for this one.

A - Pours a solid copper with 2 fingers of orange-white head. Dissipates slow and leaves nice lacing.

S - Caramel and grapefruit hops.

T - Caramel, with grapefruit, and finishes with spicy bittering hops.

M - Medium bodied, well-balanced, adequate carbonation, that finishes slightly sweet and dry.

D - Great overall. Very sessionable.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a copper color with a finger thick creamy head with nice lacing down the glass.

S: The smell of citrusy hops is the most apparent. The hoppy scent is very refreshing, but that is all I am able to pick up.

T: The overall taste is somewhat hoppy, personally I would prefer more hops.

M: Medium bodied and carbonation leaves a tingly feeling on the tongue.

D: Pretty easy to drink a few, decent beer overall, however I'm not the biggest fan of Red's, but compared to others, this is a good red.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Big thanks to jzeilinger for giving me this.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle with indiscernible freshness info.

Appearance: A strikingly clear body that is more copper than amber. A huge 3 finger lopsided head sits atop and lots of lacing drapes glass as i drink. Nice.

Smell: Fresh hops, citrus (orange & tangerine). Raw and juicy. Though not intense, it is pleasing nonetheless.

Taste: Hit first by the malt aspect nut backed up by a modest hops presence. Mot as juicy as aroma. Hops don't necessarily kick but do provide some definite tangerine & grapefruit flavor. Has that twang that all amber ales have in the aftertaste; reminiscent of nuts.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth but not full rounded as far as the feel goes. After the sip, it kind of exits fast instead of sticking around.

Drinkability: Drinks very well. Zero impediment in terms of alcohol heat. I'd have more probably.

Overall: I think it's important to note that this beer is not a hop-fest as some would like but it is a good amber ale with a decent kick. I liked it.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Pours a hazy light orange with a half finger white head that doesn't stick around long

S - Piney hops and tangy citrus; grapefruit

T&M - Bright, tangy hop character; nice citrus notes, chewy and medium bodied; hop character is nicely balanced, there is a little sour character at the end

D - Easy to drink; strong hop character does not overpower the pallet. ABV is reasonable enough; I could drink a few of these no problem

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company