Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Received as winnings from BA Fantasy Football

A - Pours an amber hue with nice frothy head

S - Big hop scents. Pine and citrus, lots of citrus. Some sweet carmel malt in the back.

T - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, pine. Good sweet malt backbone. Slight spiceyness.

M - Medium body with a little bit of hop oilyness

D - Pretty drinkable, more so than I expected.

Overall, just a great beer. I wish I could get this in Chicago.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Got this as an extra in a trade with Lupe.

Pours a nice, clear orange color with a pretty minimal head.

The nose is full of hops, and also some orangey / citrus smells. Also something like cedar comes through for me.

Pretty hoppy taste, but not as strong as I'd thought it'd be, and certainly not overwhelming (compare to something like Victory's Hop Devil, which is what I thought this might taste like). There is a certain "sappy" taste to it that I'm not overly fond of, and is the only reason I gave this 4.5 instead of 5 for taste.

Medium-bodied, not too carbonated. A little bit sticky feeling. Very drinkable and enjoyable, and something I'd probably drink regularly if I had access to it.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks go out to HopDerek for this one!

It pours and looks like an average amber ale with a nice one inch head that lasts for about 5 minutes. The smell is almost pure hops, piney, grapefruit, and a little bit of floral hop smell with a little bit of caramel malts sneaking through at the end. Taste is similar to the smell but even more balanced than the smell led me to believe. Nice and hoppy with a respectable caramel malt backbone. I could drink this one all the time. Oh, I also wanted to add that this is definitely one of my favorite labels of all time.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

After never being in the right place at the right time, I was finally able to enjoy this on cask at Theresa's Next Door. I sessioned this with the Hopback Amber from a freshly tapped firkin, so I got to taste both of the Troegs amber real ales in one sitting. Even got to talk with Chris Troegner while I was enjoying his wares.

For the most part my review is the same as the bottled and tapped version, but having this on cask really takes it to another level entirely. The head is denser and creamier, and there is absolutely no bite in the taste. The ingredients just seem to meld into this all at once sweet/citrusy/piney/malty/bitter glorious concoction. Lack of artificial carbonation makes the mouthfeel even creamier than the head. Some I was with thought that TND should store their casks separately from their kegs, but I actually preferred the cooler serving temperature, as it made the beer that much more refreshing.

This one's going to be tough to beat if you can find it. I can't think of a better pound-for-pound beer out there right now.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Finally got to try the infamous NN.

A- Clear orangey amber with a brief 1/2" white foam head, minimal lacing appreciated.

S- Strong sweet piney resin with a slight amaretto note. Wierd after smell like starchy pasta.

T- Sweet maltiness up front followed by a bitter pineyness. Honey-ish biscuit followed by lingering bitter.

M- Medium bodied, oily.

D- Easy to drink, a very respectable Amber. Unfortuneatly I fell victim to the hype, and was expecting more. I have to guard against that better. By like I said a good beer overall.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Amber beer with a finger of head that sticks around for a few minutes. Layer of foam lasts most of the beer and leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smell: Hops. Nice blend of citrus and piney hops along with a bit of sweet caramel.

Taste: Just like the nose, just not as bold as you would think. Nice complex hop flavor mingles with a back end of caramel and maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly light. Oily hoppy flavor coats the mouth and lingers for a while after the swallow.

Drinkability: Very good beer. While I expected something a bit bigger, this actually helps the beer in this category. Not being overpowering makes this something you can drink several of without feeling full after a couple. Very nice.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Tilley4 for the hookup.

Pours a reddish copper with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly, moderate lacing. Nose is all citrusy hops, with a hint of caramel malt. Taste is similar, with a strong lemony presence, a bit of pine, and caramel. A bit of a bitter kick, but not super strong. Great balance, and very drinkable.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Drank out of a bottle.

A: A deep copper color, with some reddish hints. Foam head disapated quickly.

S: The floral and citrus hops are very potent but not overpowering.

T: Not overally bitter surprisingly. The hop taste hits you at first sip, but contains a little malty aftertaste. Lots of citrus and floral hops in the middle and on the back end. The caramel and bread malt gives a nice backbone.

M: Extremely smooth, medium body beer

D: I really enjoyed this beer and am looking forward to it coming out next season. One of the best beers all time

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Orange brew with sharp white, two-fingered head. Good retention and excellent lacing.
Citrus and piney hops on the nose with some caramel playing in the background--it at least smells well balanced.
Big citrus hops (grapefruit, orange, and lemon), mixed with some piney goodness. Excellently well balanced with a fine malt backbone with enough umph to keep hop bitterness in check.
Even with all the flavors described, i'd still define this brew as light to medium bodied, which leaves the mouthfeel and drinkability off the charts. Carbonation is shy of perfection. Finishes dry, leaving the drinker wanting more.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Got a sixer of this beer in a trade with beerbuddha.

Beautiful light amber color - just a slight haze as is typical with hoppy beers. Pours with a 2 finger head which settles to a thin head with lots of lacing in the glass. Tremendous citrus hop aroma which only whets your appetite for what is to come.

Good caramel malt flavor in the forefront with a hoppy finish. The hop flavor lingers on the tongue after the swallow. Very good balance - hops are dominant but don't overwhelm the malt. Just slightly thin on the mouthfeel - I would prefer a little more body.

Goes down very smoothly for a 7+% beer - it would be real easy to drink several of these. A very good example of a hoppy American style amber ale.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

The Nugget Nectar pours a beautiful deep apricot color with a short fluffy head that hugs the glass firmly. Faint islands of foam are left once the head begins to settle down. As for the smell of this stuff..well its almost too good to put into words. Its very sweet, citrusy and bursting with fresh hop goodness. Its like ruby red grapefruit juice mixed with some strong Pacific Northwest hops. I love it. Someone make this into a perfume and give it to my wife.

Taste is sweet, strong with a nice hop bite finish. There is definitely a citrusy tartness but its balanced so well with this malt that its a very balanced beer, even at 7.5%. There is a dryness to this beer but its at the very end after the initial juiciness. Everything about this beer is excellent, in my humble opinion. Its definitely one of my favorites.

Love the brewery. Love the label. Love the look. Love the smell. Love the taste.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

This was an exceptionally hoppy beer, but not overly bitter.
The mouthfeel was smooth with a crisp finish.
The smell was outstanding, very green and piney. There was a small one to 1.5 inch head of foam on my 22 ounce glass which disappeared quickly.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Received via trade from crazymacharris99. Thanks, Jason. '08 edition.

Looks like Alpha King (clear, toffee color, billowy cream head), smells like a bucketful of fresh hops; more grassy, herbal and earthy than bright and citrusy. Very similar to SN Harvest Ale, with a more expansive hop character. Very, very smooth mouthfeel, with a barely noticeable alcohol warmth. Heavy lacing, light wet earth in aroma, faint toasted malt smell. For a big IPA, it's picture-perfect.

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If you're a real hophead, you'll love this beer. I like hops, but this beer was a little over the top for me.

The picture on the bottle shows a hand squeezing the flavor from hops. That's pretty close to the taste of this beer.

Glad I tried it, but not really my favorite.

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my ideal drinking beer. Shame its only a seasonal.
Pours orange and smells like hops of course. the taste is exceptional makes me think of actually eating hops with the sticky hop flavor in every drop. This beer is has amazing balance but when you drink it im sure the only think you will pay attention to is the hops. You could enjoy several of these at a time so its the ideal 6 pack to just enjoy whenever you need a hop fix and at over 7% you dont need to "hammer a case" to get your fill. But this isnt a very heavy beer either making it easy to have a few with a meal or with anything else. Love this beer nearly perfect and wont break the bank

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

I really liked this one, I'm not the most familiar with this variety of beers. It starts off with sweet malty goodness (think dinner rolls) and caps off with it's delicious citrusy hops. The mouthfeel and sufficiently carbonated, light and with a buttery feel to it as well. So overall kick ass yummy yummy beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to csmiley for the bottle. I've been waiting to try this one.

Appearance: It pours a copper-amber color (slightly orange looking). Head is white with a touch of orange and about two fingers deep. Retention was good, but not spectacular. It receded a little quicker than I anticipated and left lights sheets of lace behind.

Smell: Hops are readily apparent on the nose. They're bold and piney, but feature some floral and earthy elements, as well. It's an impressive, diverse range in that department. Citrus sweetness is spawned by fragrances of grapefruit and orange. Caramel malts and yeast aromas are present, but mix well. It's impressive.

Taste: Grapefruit and orange citrus flavors are sweet and tasty. There's also some pineapple and lemon flavor there that's not apparent in smell. Hops are every bit as diverse in taste as they are in smell. They are a bit piney yet grassy and earthy. It's difficult to tell which is stronger. It seems pretty even keel to me. I think I'd prefer a little more pine, but I'm not complaining. This is too damn tasty. Caramel/toffee malts are sweet and add a little balance, but it's primarily hoppy and bitter. There is a yeasty taste that remains into the aftertaste. It finishes bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It leans light bodied, but it's knocking on the medium door. Carbonation feels just right. It's smooth and extremely drinkable. At 7.5%, it's tame enough to drink quite a few. At least that's my view of the world.

I must say I'm quite impressed. I had high expectations of Nugget Nectar and it's passed inspection with flying colors. It's a shame Troegs isn't distributed in Ohio. I'd drink this frequently if it were. Highly recommended.

4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

A : Pours a copper golden color with a thin white head

S : Hop heaven. Extremely hoppy with some pine notes

T : Awesome. Really hoppy but not a hop overload. The perfect balance of the hops make it real smooth.

M : Good carbonation, real smooth

D : Can I get some more? I'm not a hophead but I could drink this one anytime.

appearance - Copper colored with a small white head.

smell - Citrus, hops, some malt present too.

taste - Sweet, and hoppy. The hops are not over powering hence the picture on the bottle. Has some hints of citrus present too.

mouthfeel - medium body.

drinkability - It was good, I have to stop getting off on the hype with beers. #1 Amber beer on BA, I thought it was alright. Above average beer for me. Worth a try though. It does taste good.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I discovered this seasonal gem two years ago, and have looked forward to it ever since. Look for the eye-catching label, a bright orange background framing a hand squeezing the juice ("nectar") out of a hop flower. 7.5% ABV listed, and a very faint date of 02/06/08 stamped near the neck.

Appearance - This beer's color is almost as orange as the label, slightly cloudy. One finger of foam, tenacious lacing.

Smell - Hop assault. I'm not good enough at this to differentiate between varieties, but the label indicates Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. Works for me. Some grapefruit for sure, but the hops dominate.

Taste - Yum. Floral and citric hops up front, tart and semi-sweet tangerine and grapefruit follow. A slightly dry yet warming finish. Again the hops are leading the charge, but this is more balanced than you would think.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thick, though not creamy. Tart and citric, but not overly acidic. Strong hop aftertaste, in a good way.

Drinkability - This beauty is dangerously drinkable. Each sip is just as good or even better than the previous one. It's strong and warming, yet you don't really taste the alcohol.

It's probably just as well that Nugget Nectar is seasonal, or I might never buy any other hoppy beers. An excellent beer, a home run by Troegs. Get some.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Just realized I hadnt reviewed this gem- just finishing off this years 2 cases unfortunately.

This one was 12oz poured into weyerbacher tulip.

Poured from 12oz. bottle into tulip style glass.

A: Light amber color with nice lacing a fluffy big bubble head.

S: Unrelenting and beautiful hop flavor. Pure citrus enticement. Nothing short of great. 5.5.

T: Hops, a good coating of it and then a bit more hops to top it off. Citrus, grapefruit, mango and a malt kick to go with it. Damn near a perfect drink- only if they could put this year round. A complicated concoction that is a hoplovers paradise.

M: A film of hops coats the lips and tongue. Not abrasive and the tinge is ideal.

D: Far too drinkable. Pure treat.

Perfection?.... perhaps as close as you get. Flat out awesome.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

This was from PEBKAC in the Top 100 BIF - thanks buddy!

I really like the make up of this beer - an ultrahoppy amber ale. I admit ambers are not toward the top of my favorites. Hop the shit outta them and now we're talking!!!

The color is (wait for it...) amber. Little bit of a head tops it off. First inhale - boom, hops. I tried to get the malty red character but enough my nose wasn't having it or it simply wasn't there. Oh well - I like hops. The taste mellowed out with some of the toasted characteristics you would expect from a red, all of the while hammered by hops.

This is how I like my reds.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to leftmindedrighty for the chance to try this one. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Poured a deep reddish amber with a small but dense head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a decent lacing on the glass

S: Wow! Big time piny hop smell with some floral and citrus undertones. Truly wonderful smell, like walking through a pine forest.

T: Not surprisingly, the piny hop bitterness hits first but is balanced by a nice fruity taste which lingers a little until the hoppy bitterness finishes off the job. Extremely well balanced.

M: Full bodied yet crisp with a very smooth aftertaste.

D: I really enjoyed this one and it's very drinkable. I could definitely have a few of these in a sitting.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled through ClockworkOrange and CA - PA BIF.

Clear copper colored ale with a small white head.

Smell is what you immediately notice about this beer the moment it is cracked open. Sweet and strong floral and pine hops hit you hard in the nose and you like it. Strong pine and citrus with a little melon, malt only really sweetens the hops.
A little wood and a little eucalyptus complete the harsher Hop scents.

The taste starts out sweet and hoppy with lots of floral and citrus in the mouth and a woody and sweet finish. Strong hops and the sensation of mint as something cools and numbs my tongue, add mint to the list of flavors. Tasty ale that never fades in flavor throughout the whole glass.

Mouthfeel is good.

Damn tasty ale and one I have been seeking for a long time. Strong tasty IPA that pushes to the edge of DIPA. I could see drinking this lots if I lived in Pennsylvania. Fortunately there is a clone of this beer locally called Firestone Union Jack that I drink a lot. Awesome beer here and worth it's reputation.

I've gone through 2+ cases of this this year and this is my last bottle that I finaly got to reviewing. This is some seriously good shit!!

The appearance is amber to copper in color and is topped by a 2-ich head of egg shell colored foam in a very tight formation. The retention is very good but not annoyingly so as it dissapates to a nice thick coat after a few minutes. The lace left after head disapation is quite beautiful.

The smell is gobs of floral hops up front. There are hint of mixed citrus as well. Blood ornge, tangerines, and a touch of grapefruit. Piney hops come in middle to end in the nose. there is evidence that that actually used some malts in this beer in the formof caramel and biscuit. This is just a wonder to sniff, defintely the best beer I've ever smelled.

The tastes starts off very much like the nose with the floral hops just slamming home. This is followed by a barage of various hop flavors. I'm getting pine, tangerine, orange, lemon zest (but not lemon), grapefruit and a hint of leafy greens. The malt comes in the middle and certainly adds depth of flavor with caramel and biscuit doing most of the heavy lifting here. There is a hint of gaininess that is welcome and balancing. Not that this is balanced as the hops come roaring back on the finish with a nice even long lasting bitterness. Not over the top though, I've had beers with less than 93 IBUs that tasted more bitter.

The mouthfell perfectly matches the flavor profile. The fullness of body is medium but not so full to take one's attention away form the dramatic flavors. The carbonation is perfectly smooth and creamy. The finish is oily and mouth coating.

This is probably the finest beer I've had to date and I could easily drink several in a session.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company