Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge surprise to score a sixtel at Frank A. Smith's in Pottstown...

Appearance is a beautiful burnt orange color with slightly off-white, two finger head, and tight/tiny bubbles. Light lacing throughout.

Smell is fabulous - like I'm in a hop forest, with an added hint of both orange and sweet cinnamon spice.

Taste is of fresh, fresh, fresh, juicy/piney hops which simply envelop the mouth, followed by a slight caramel malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is actually quite creamy/oily, which is SO nicely balanced with the intense flavor that I simply want to chug this beer.

If you couldn't tell by now, this is an extremely drinkable beer - IF you enjoy fresh hops and smooth beer mouthfeel. Warning: having this on tap at home is dangerous!

BeerImmediately, Feb 07, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pretty traditional golden amber color. Huge white head with tons of little bubbles that stayed for a couple of minutes. Not too much of a lacing left on the glass.

S: Hops, hops, hops, hops and did I mention the hops. Tangerine, orange rind, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Actually very balanced. The hops aren't as over bearing as I thought they would/should have been (maybe a little too balanced). Malty. And the slightest hint of vanilla.

M: Pretty good. Nothing exrtroidinary and nothing unappealing either.

D: This isn't the hoppy beer I was hoping for, but it still isn't a bad brew at all. Another solid outing by troegs!

gkatsoris, Feb 06, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz picked up in a recent trade with a very generous DIM ... shared with my brother after a very long Super Tuesday work day... we need a good beer... I think we picked the right one.

Short lasting 3/4" head atop a fairly clear orange/amber brew.

Aroma is all grapefruity hops... literally smells like grapefruit rind... Steven says their is a hint of flowers... subtle toasted malts in the background.

Big bitterness .... balances the adequate malts .... flows like a river into big citrus mid palate... finish is fairly floral... huge oily complex hop profile but some how remains in that perfectly balanced realm... body is smooth/silky lite/medium with persistant small bubble carbonation... I would have sworn this was brewed in the PNW.

This beer just tastes sooo fresh and sooo good.... It was bottled on 1/7/8.. I've had this beer on a number of occasions, but never anywhere this fresh... If I had access to it, it would certainly be a goto beer for me and a very likely fridge staple.... Huge props to Dan... If I ever make it back home to PA, we must have brews.

JohnGalt1, Feb 06, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to franksnbeans for the trade.

The nectar pours a nice clear amber/red color. the head is the most impressive part of the appearance. The nose is of hops, mad hops with a bit of spice. The taste makes me shocked to see that this is classified as an amber, or imperial amber as troegs calls it. To me this beer is most defenitely an IPA. Granted, imperial ambers can be somewhat hoppy, it is way too similar to an IPA. Hops dominate right up front with a strong presence. some spice through the middle but mostly just a bunch of hopalicious hoppiness with a nice bitter finish, but not too astringent. Certainly a great beer, but I dont know why this isnt just called an IPA. Mouthfeel is that of an IPA. Drinkability is quite high, as the hop flavors are very thick, but the finish is not too terribly bitter. Certainly a great beer. One of the best hoppy beers from the east I have had though for sure.

AKBelgianBeast, Feb 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

I recently attended a beer tasting at the Headkeeper in Greensburg and Troegs Brewing Co. was there handing out samples of their entire production line. The Nugget Nectar was my favorite, next to The Mad Elf, so I figured I'd buy a case of my own.

The beer poured into my trusty crystal snifter with about a quarter inch of white foam which quickly dissipated. Lacing along the inside of the glass was minimal, and the color was medium amber. The nose was sharp with hops and grapefruit-like citrus aroma. I consulted the Troegs webpage and learned that Nugget Nectar starts off with the beginnings of the HopBack Amber Ale and then they jack it up with three different types of hops. I love the idea of taking a flagship brew and then modifying it to end up with a new beer with an entirely different depth and flavor.

It's almost a shame that this is a seasonal beer and only available in February. The date on the top of the box said "BEST ENJOYED BY 06/06/08" so I don't see it being a good candidate for cellaring, but with an ABV of 7.5% you never know. I doubt though the rest of this case will last beyond next week, so I guess it's a moot point. I will definitely be marking my calendar next year in anticipation for this awesome release from Troegs.

steelcutoats, Feb 06, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Bright and perfectly clear copper with an inch and a half of off-white foam.

Smell - Clean and fresh. Beautifully balanced between semi-dry malts and big floral hops.

Taste and mouthfeel - Lightly toasted caramelly malts; grapefruit and a touch of resin from the hops with a slight mineral quality in the background. Pleasantly bitter in the finish, with a pleasant aftertaste of caramel and grapefruit. Light on the tongue and very crisp.

Notes - Very impressive; quite possibly the best example of a red ale I've ever had. Many thanks to london1o1 for an awesome extra.

largadeer, Feb 06, 2008

First thought - this is an amazing beer, and the best offering from Troegs that I've ever sampled... the appearance was absolutely outstanding... a clear, lucid, amber, copper-colored hue with a gigantic frothy and foamy head that had some serious staying power... Copped a single 12 oz bottle for $2.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... Smell was above-and-beyond, so rich, so thick, so strong, that I fell in love with this beer just on the strength of its smell... the taste was an equally "perfect five"... perhaps the ultimate and best depiction of the style that I have ever come across... this beer certainly lives up to all its hype... one of the best representations of the style for sure... mouthfeel was rich, creamy, and thick... taste was slightly bitter but not at all overwhelming, with a tart bitterness dominated by a slight ginger, subtle vanilla, and pine flavors bursting through... taste is very clear, satisfying, and dominant... an excellent brew with a good drinkability and a not-over-the-top ABV of 7.5%... Definitely recommended...

dsa7783, Feb 06, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(from notes)
Had at the Drafting Room in Exton, PA
12oz bottle poured into a glass

Pours a crystal clear orange amber with a good sized white head. Light sticky lacing finds its way down the glass.

Huge hop smell. Ruby red grapefruits, tangerines, spruce, and a slight sweet toasted malt backbone. A very heavy hop oil/resin smell.

A big punch of hops right off the bat. Very bright and bold. Tastes of grapefruit and pine needles and a chewy caramel malt backbone. It's surprisingly not bitter with all that hopping going on.

Medium bodied and creamy.

The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but I know it's there, it's 7.5%.

An absolutely fantastic beer, about as good as it gets.

ColForbinBC, Feb 04, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Good appearance. White head, orange color good size lacing. Smell is hoppy, especially Simcoe (I would have never known this until I swilled some Double Simcoe IPA this week).

Taste is great. Floral hops, nicely balanced between bitteness and maltiness. Mouthfeel is light and crisp but not watery. Drinkability is great. 7.5 abv is a bit high for a session beer, but this one would be a great candidate for someones regular beer. Really enjoyable.

JayQue, Feb 03, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

This gorgeous looking Imperial Amber Ale pours a crystal clear ruby/copper with some rusty golden highlights and a small amount of rising carbonation. The frothy, off-white head holds decently well and leaves some nice spotty lace around the glass.

Wow, this is about as hoppy as and Amber Ale gets. The name is certainly fitting. Very resinous and piney aroma with tons of citrus hop character. A smooth, sweet caramel malt backbone preps the palate for the insanely smooth and hoppy flavor to come. Bright, bitter and immensely appetizing.

One of the greatest combinations of massive flavor and smooth drinkability there is. The hops smack you in the face immediately; bold, piney, bitter, and citric: orange, grapefruit, floral notes. The caramel malt provides an amazingly smooth, semi-sweet flavor but still manages to suppress itself just enough to allow the hops to shine. There's a definite sweet, almost candy-like/bready character as well. It's so difficult to find a brew that matches this amount of intense hoppiness with a balancing counterpoint, but Nugget Nectar does it.

Bright and crisp initially with a mellow smoothness later on. In fact it's curiously smooth... kind of like Altoids in that sense I suppose. The finish is juicy and slick with a lasting smooth hoppiness. There actually may be a bit of mild dryness in there but the finish is so crazy smooth that it's difficult to detect.

I'm fairly sure there is no beer on the planet that matches the Nugget Nectar's drinkabilty and flavor combo. The smooth, palatable nature comes in such a well balanced package that I feel like I could walk around for the rest of my life with a bottle of this stuff in my hand and never get sick of it. I often hear people comparing this beer to some big hoppy IPA, but what many people fail to realize is that this is an Amber! I may be coming across as a bit dramatic but I urge you to get your hands on some of this stuff and be the judge yourself. If you're left disappointed i think you may need to get your head examined.

letsgopens, Feb 03, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

So four days from now, Tröegs is making its introduction to New York City. But I am in Pittsburgh right now, and D's had it on bottles. So, why wait. Right? I mean, four days is 5,760 minutes away. Entirely too long to wait for a beer I have wanted to try for some time now.

Pours a clear amber with a decent off white head that falls fairly quickly, but leaves nice lacing on the way down. Nose is extremely sticky syrupy sweet. Cranberry tones and firm floral tones are noticed. Flavor is very piney. This really hits firmly in your mouth, but it doesn't do so wildly. There is purpose in the chaos. Beyond the pine character, there are citrus tones backing it up. Feel is a bit thicker on the liquid and fairly full on the carbonation. Very nice. Easy to drink, even though it is thoroughly thick in hops tones.

RblWthACoz, Feb 03, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz Bottle

I was lucky to get a six pack of Nugget Nectar sent my way thanks to Kempleton. Nugget Nectar has a crystal clear polished copper body. Moderate streams of carbonation rise to the surface supporting the pillowy head. A one finger creamy white head appeared on the pour and stuck around for the remainder. This is without a doubt a good looking beer.

When I stick my nose in the glass Nugget Nectar makes my mouth water. There's a fair amount of toasted malt in the background but more importantly there's a boatload of hoppiness jumping out at me. The hops are mostly citric but there's some resinous hoppiness sprinkled throughout. The nose is alive with orange and apricot. There's a great candy-like sweetness.

The flavor follows in stride. The big sweet juicy fruitiness runs from beginning to end. There's enough malt in there to keep the hops from running away but it's holding on for dear life. Although there isn't a huge amount of bitterness the tongue certainly feels the hop load. This is very nicely done.

The body is spot on for the style. The body is medium with a moderate carbonation that creates a soft creaminess.

This is a very citric flavorful beer and an easy drinker without a doubt. The alcohol is no where to be found but at 7.5%, to use a too commonly used term, this is dangerously drinkable.

Nugget Nectar is one of those beers that are right up my alley. Big citric hoppiness with the tongue numbing element I love so much. It's too bad this isn't available in my area.

joe1510, Feb 03, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

*Thanks to HopHeed2113 on the beer trade*

Bottle poured into glass. Pours a copper-orange, can see through it with decent carbonation. Smallish head with heavy lacing.

Nose is blasted with a jolly rancher inspired, tangerine-grapefruit hopiness. Not much malt to be had with this one, piney notes also present. Did my 5 year old swap a Capri Sun out for a beer?

Palate smoothered with sweet hop goodness that is a cross between pineapple and mango. Toasty malt peaks through as well offering a nice balance. Crispy on the tounge, creamy notes that end with a moderate dryness.

A very nice beer, almost like a DIPA Light - I hope to see this on the shelves in Columbus some day. Alcohol well hidden and would recommend to anyone; will be seeking out more trades for this.

jdoncbus, Feb 03, 2008

got a case locally from a distributor 2 weeks after the release of the beer in 2008. about as fresh as you'll ever get a beer without waiting for the first case from the brewery itself...

A - this beer is listed as an imperial amber and man do you get what you pay for... the color of this pour is about as true to the name as you can get. this is the prettiest red i may have ever laid eyes on... wonderful head the slowly dissipates leaving a great lace on the glass

S - since i got this as fresh as i did, you might as well have peeled a grapefruit and cracked a few pine needles to compete with this aroma. the floral aromatica smack you right away but dissipate perfectly as soon as you exhale

T - Ahhh the money shot. perfect balance of hops in the front, with a citrus rhine middle and as smooth as you can imagine in the finish. this beer is hoppy, not bitter... please understand the distinction

M - The carbonation tingles and adds the the flavor, the goldilocks theory, not too much and not too little. almost too drinkable for the ABV and the hop content

D - the fact that i am 5 deep writing this should tell you what you need to know... a perfect session beer or pregame beer... you can't beat it for the money such a shame it is a seasonal

bottom line - perfection!!!!

rock082082, Feb 02, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Bube's Brewery.
Served as a deep amber colored beer with nice off-white head.
Smell is dominated by strong grassy and piney hops.
Taste also shows a strong hop presence with enough malt to perform an excellent balancing act.
Way too easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

tgbljb, Feb 02, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to HopHeed2113 for trading with me and giving me the chance to try this brew.

A - A deep amber hue that tends a bit more towards the reddish hues than the golden; color actually reminds me a bit of copper. The liquid has a nice shiny gloss to it and a bit of carbonation A nice bubbly and frothy head sits on top of this and leaves a nice lace.

S - Smell is a nice floral hops with a bit of orange in it as well. The hops are strong in there but not at all overpowering which is sometimes a problem. I like that I can pick up the citrus as well. There are also hints of sweet mango as well. Interesting and good smell that is gets you ready for the taste.

T - taste at first is a bit hoppy. Mostly floral hops and in a way it reminds me of the taste of alpha king. This hops slowly fades away into the sweeter fruit flavors such as mango and citrus as well; actually a bit of peach as well. Really a nice and interesting beer.

MF - a light carbonation that goes over the mouth with a light stickiness that hits the mouth later. Like how this mouthfeel moves along with the taste. Also the carbonation is not that strong at all but rather light on the tongue.

D -- this is one beer that I could drink all day. This is right up there with Alpha King that I would drink everyday and take with me to a deserted island. It is mellow and good and one of the perfect session beers that I have ever had.

jeonseh, Feb 02, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Ok, let's see what all the fuss is about...

Appearance: Amber in color with a little head forming. Lacing sticks around.

Smell: Very woodsy, piney(?). Aromatics are strong but pleasant here.

Taste: Hop smack at first taste. Not too powerful but quite assertive. As noted in the smell, pine/floral spiciness. Another reviewer wrote "reminds me of being out in the woods in the summer". I can fully understand that statement now. Finish is clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. A little slick on the tongue.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV. Quite drinkable and not quite as assailing on the palate as IPAs/DIPAs.

Overall: Delicious and well-made amber ale. Would love to have this again.

coalcracker, Feb 02, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle thanks to leftmindedrighty for this one.

I am trying to rate this one on style not my own personal taste, number-wise anyway.

It poured beautiful copper color with a huge white head that laced nice. pretty beer.

smelled like, well, hops :) lots of flowery hops.

Taste was of strong, flowery hops that seemed well balanced with a nice malt profile. where i cant take it is the aftertaste it left. a very perfumy, flowery taste that made me want to go brush my teeth after every swallow.

I cant drink these, but i certainly can see where a hophead would really enjoy this as it is a fine example of a hoppy yet well balanced beer.

Glad i tried it and maybe it will grow on me, have 1 bottle left for later, maybe.

tayner, Feb 01, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks MuenchenerKindl for this one
The bottle poured into a standard pint glass produced a good three fingers worth of white head on top of a brilliantly clear amber body .The head dissipated to a nice thin coating of lace that slides down the glass

Aromas' of pine and spruce it smell like walking in the woods on a nice summer day

Tastes of hops not overly bitter the sweet malts flavors help smooth it out

Nice crisp mouth feel with enough carbonation for your tongue
I'll say it like everyone else if you're a hop head you have to try this one. It's a great beer, but I don't know if I'd drink more than a couple in one sitting

joepais, Feb 01, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Cloudy orange/amber color with a thin light tan head. Nice lacing.

S- Floral hops and a piney scent dominate.

T- Piney, hoppy and citrusy tastes blend to make a wonderful bitterness with a nice malt in the backround.

M- nice consistency, more substantial than an IPA. Carbonation is medium.

D- For a hoppy beer this goes down real well and easy. One of my favorites.

Troegman, Jan 31, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to my man Franksandbeans for this gem
L:Off white head that is pretty non existent. The color itself is a bright dark amber that is pretty clear. Almost a clear brandy like color.
S:On the first sniff I pick up slightly piney hops. Also a very faint nuttyness.
T:WHOA!!! A ton of stuff bouncing around here. What lingers is a freshly roasted nuttiness. Each and every sip displays an awesome pine needle hop that shines through out.
M: Very light and crisp. Tight tiny little bubbles.
D: What a really cool take on the style. Very clean and insanely crisp. Awsome fresh.

Scoobydank, Jan 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ copper color with and off-white head. In the aroma, hoppy and a small sweet maltiness. In the taste, small grapefruity hops and a maltiness. A bitter hops mouthfeel and a dry bitter hop aftertaste. Quite hoppy with a nice malty balance. I love this beer so much, I named my dog after it. Its a good thing Nugget likes hops!!

OWSLEY069, Jan 31, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

412 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to DIM for the chance to try this fresh.

A - wow, crystal clear amber with a solid white head. looks so shiny clean that you'd think they polished this one before bottling!
S - strong hops. citric undertones, spicy piney notes dominate
T - Hops first and foremost. piney notes with supporting citric / pineapple undertones all on top of a trace biscuit malt.
M - crips, nicely carbonated, a few steps before pucker. Did leave a strong bitter after taste which did not resonate well for me.
D - bold, flavorful, amazingly drinkable and all under 8% ABV. Nice, I enjoyed 2 over an evening and was happy except for the lingering aftertaste.

I am not a hophead so if you are this should be on your must try fresh list. Regardless it's a well done beer and worthy of a try!

barleywinebrewer, Jan 30, 2008

Been sitting on this for a couple of months. Wishing I had sampled it fresh because there is definitely a drop-off in the hops.

Pours a murky orange brown with plenty of white head. Lace clings in waves around the edges of the glass. Nose has lots of sweet malts but a floral hop presence that has a nice bite to it.

Flavor has a perfect balance between the malts and the hops. Malts have a solid sweetness that clings to the edges of the tongue. Hops are bitter with flowers and clings to the cheeks. Really makes the aftertaste quite nice. However, I think these bottles are a tad old and the hops seem a bit more subdued than intended. Medium mouthfeel that lends toward the lighter side.

MuddyFeet, Jan 30, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours crystal clear reddish-orange with a very thin head. Aroma is crisp citrus and pine. Despite the strong hop aroma, there's a nice maltiness that comes through as well. The nose gives ample forewarning of what is to follow. The taste is a mix of strong pine and citrus hops, with a nice bitterness in the aftertaste. The malt backbone carries the hops well. The mouthfeel is slightly resiny and slick. This is a fine beer that I look forward to each Spring. Troegs calls this an "Imperial Amber Ale". I think that's a better classification than IPA.

davidt, Jan 29, 2008