1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Nugget NectarTröegs Nugget Nectar

Wants: 1,095
Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a growler I got earler today from the brewery. The beer poured a nice apple juice like color, with a thick 1 inch head that dissipated down to a 1/4 inch. A nice lacing formed on the walls of the glass. Fantastic looking beer!

Interesting smell here. Very piney, with a backbone of honey and soft tea like notes.

Once sipped, my mouth was full of that pine hop scent I detected earlier. It's not overbearing though, as there is a strong malty background to back up such a hopped up brew. The hoppy flavors are very piney, and the malty flavors are rather honeylike and smooth.

Soft, thin mouthfeel here. It wasn't too thin, though, but just the right viscosity for this beer. I'll give this a five in this catagory.

I can't reccomend a session of this, simply because of the ABV being so high, but it is good enough to warrant a 2nd pint.

Such a wonderful brew by Troegs. I'm very lucky to live by these guys, as they have a bunch of awesome beers to offer.

pavandal, Jan 25, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle courtesy of mntlover.

This is a real treat. The beer is cloudy light orange and there was a small head. Fair amount of lacing. The smell is citrusy. The taste is a sweet hoppy taste. To me, this is really more of a pale ale gone extreme. Very good, smooth mouthfeel. The hops seem subdued a little. Very drinkable. The 7.5% abv is not evident at all. This is Troegs finest that I have tried yet. I will certainly seek this beer out in the future.

As a neat note, the neck label says 93ish I.B.U.'s.

Enola, Jan 25, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to Brouche, for this one acquired through trade.
Aroma- Hop aromas of citrus, pine and some grassy notes as well, sweet malt notes are present also.
First sip- just like the label says, this is NECTAR! Great sweet malt flavors and all the hop aromas are transformed into flavors here as well. A nice hop astringency is felt towards the finish. A good froth on the palate sweetens this up real nice. Listed as an Imperial Amber on the bottle, this is tasting and feeling like some killer IPA's with just the right touch of sweetness. Great hop profiles and I am digging Troeg's as I can git my hands on their beers.

ByTor2112, Jan 21, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Sampled at the brewery, poured into several tasting glasses. Freshly tapped this week - was sure to bring home a case!

A - Pours an orangish copper with an off-white head; good retention with a thick, sticky lace that followed the beer down the glass.

S - Powerful, complex aroma built on top of the hoppy goodness. Tangy fruit and sweet malt are both very strong and work very nicely with the spiced hops. Very inviting.

T - My tastebuds really got a workout today. Juicy hops come rushing out right away, but there's no super-bitterness. Instead, they're met with tea leaves, honey, and a plethora of fruits, until finally a malty-caramel kicks in. The end result? A very hoppy beer that doesn't rip the tastebuds right off your tongue with bitterness...wonderful flavor combinations.

M - Medium body with good carbonation...flavors are much more pronounced as the beer warmed. A very tasty aftertaste of sweet and tangy hops. Only a slight alcohol presence...it would be tough to cram any extra flavors in there!

D - It's been a long wait for this one, but now I've stocked my closet for the winter. This is one I can't wait to share with those less fortunate (i.e. the other 45 states that doesn't get Troegs!). I'd love to see more Imperial Ambers out there.

I'd normally expected a higher ABV than 7.5%, but this makes it much easier to drink. Excellent!

JohnnyM2002, Jan 20, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is pure gold, nice carbonation, a full 2 finger head that leaves nice lace.

The smell is sweet malt and big hops.

The taste is Awesome. Pure perfection for a hop head that demands balance.

The mouthfeel is thicker then medium, great carbonation and lingers just right.

The drinkability is excellent. I seldom drink 2 of the same in a night. This is 3 today and I have a growler on Masala Mama in the fridge. What a great brew. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jan 20, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep orange with a slight copper hue. Impressive off white two finger thick head. Ample head retention. Nice sticky lace clings to the glass throughout the serving.

S: Floral and juicy hops. A slight smell of honey. Caramel malts.

T: Juicy citrus hops with a nice clean bite. Pine resin is followed by rich balanced caramel malts. Finish has a slight honey taste and is very earthy. Mouth watering!

M: Crisp and clean. Smooth medium mouthfeel. Pleasant dryness.

D: A thirst quencher! Frighteningly clean and refreshing for a beer with some pop to it! A well balanced brew that can be enjoyed during any occasion!

Tyrawlings, Jan 15, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

A- A bit cloudy darker golden body with a thin off white head. Thin lacing covering the whole top.
S- Big citrus hops with a balance of caramel malt. Grapefruit and a bit of orange too.
T- Big blanace of caramel malt of citrus hops. Big grapefruit. Some grass hops in there too.
M- Medium to full body with medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good. It's more of a IPA with a bigger malt backbone.

BlindPig, Dec 15, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Capital Ale House

a - dark copper color, clear, large off-white head, good retention and lacing

s - very floral hops balanced nicely with sweet malts, not very strong aroma though

t - nice sweet maltiness up front with a prominent piney bitterness to follow, long bitter finish, alcohol very masked

m - low carbonation, very smooth, medium-bodied

d - very drinkable, very balanced flavor with little noticeable alcohol

Great beer all-around. Abv might be a little hight to be a session beer, but I could drink this all night.

WeisGuy, Nov 25, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

First off.. WOW this is some good beer! Much thanks to BuckeyeNation for throwing this one in with a trade!

Nugget Nectar pours a nice deep coppery color. Mine didn't produce much of a head even with a semi-vigorous pour, but the little that was there was off-white. There was a modest bit of lacing as this was consumed.

The smell is something wonderful, full of citrusy hops and a bit floral. I couldn't wait to take the first sip.

No letdown from the smell in the taste department. Full of very citrusy hops, and if I had to guess I would think there was a fair bit of amarillo hops in there. Awesome! Bit of malt and a nice well rounded bitterness from the hops.

Medium body and very drinkable. I could drink these all night long and not get tired of it.

Generik420, Nov 22, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured out orange copper, with a nice fizzy off white head, pour retention, minimal lacing. The nose offers some sweet hops, orange and a touch of honey. I also get some herbal sage, grapefruit, and tangerine. The taste is hoppy, with ruby red grapefruit, sweet malt, and a sort of fresh cut grass.

dherling, Nov 12, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Slightly hazy deep amber color. Two fingers foam in mild dissipation. Spotted lacing after several quaffs.

Outstanding herbal and floral hop aroma. Mildly spicy, but not in the traditional German Tettnanger/Hallertauer peppery spicy. More of a pungent American hop spiciness, with an indication of a strong bitterness ahead.

Remarkable balance in taste. Biscuity toasted malts (most likely from Vienna or Munich malts) which lends the perfect amount of caramel flavor for a VERY aggressively hoppy beer. Perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness throughout every quaff.

Mouthfeel - moderately carbonated, but smooth as silk.

Drinkability - is this beer really 7.5% ABV? I damn near finished my glass in less than 2 minutes. An outstanding session ale, I feel deprived not having this beer on tap at my local bar. Bravo.

Sixpoint, Nov 01, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks Bitterbill for the 2 bottles. I could swear this is an IPA. Pours a slightly cloudly orange/golden color, nice carbonation, small foamy white head that dissappears quickly, not much lacing afterwards. Scents of hops, sweet malts, some citrus, and slight caramel. The taste is nice and hoppy with a sweetness thrown in, slight citrus/caramel hoppy finish. Medium body, nice balance. Very drinkable, if this is a amber than all other's are something else, lol I really enjoyed this one.

Wasatch, Oct 26, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Not a big fan of Red/Amber ales unless they have a big, juicy hop profile but since this is titled "Imperial Amber Ale" i thought i'd give it a chance.

Recieved in a trade from....i forgot who, but whoever it is thanks.

Pours dark red with orange hues around the edges. Beautiful color. Decent head appeared with small amount of lacing sticking to the glass.

Smell is very nice. Juicy hops with sweet malt. Smells like a nice west coast DIPA to be honest. Nothing too complex but way above where the style typically goes.

Taste is very good. Juicy citrus hops are bittering up front then the malt profile gives this beer a great balance. They didn't hold back on the hops in this one but while most Reds typically have a numbing-of-the-palate type of bitterness, the hop profile here is juicy and sweet creating a mouth-watering effect on the flavor that is excellent.

Mouthfeel is great. Carbonation is almost perfect.

Drinkability is also great. I could kill a sixer of this stuff easily.

Overall: Very impressive. I wish they distributed this in San Diego. This is the only Imperial Red/Amber i've tasted that can compaire to the Winter Yulesmith.

Highly recommended.

KingG, Oct 24, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Found the six-pack in June and almost shit myself as I knew that up until then it was a draft-only release. Naturally, I had to buy it because not only is Tröegs one of my favorite breweries, but I am also a hophead, so this was a real find. Four bottles later I've finally done a full review: 12 oz. bottle with no freshness date and a declaration of "93ish IBUs." It pours an unfiltered red/copper with a half-inch ecru head and low carbonation. The aroma consists of fairly strong piney/citric (orange) hops that have a minty or herbal element. On the palate it is almost syrupy, drying, and lightly numbing, with low to medium carbonation, starting with strong pine/citric hops, notes of orange, apricot?, and pear, well balanced by sugary, biscuity, caramelly, and toasty malts that tame the hops, seemingly reclaiming some of their IBUs. As it warms I find notes of coffee and the bouquet becomes more pronounced. The finish is nice and lingering, making me not want to eat or drink anything that would erase any last traces of this wonderful brew. I wonder if anyone else will try an "imperial amber ale," or, for that matter, if they could make it as tasty. I doubt it.

mmmbeer, Oct 20, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Acquired via trade from SilentSabre, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Healthy hops aroma blended nicely with some good malt and citrus sweetness as a compliment.

T: Just like with the smell, the taste is extremely well-balanced with hops bitterness and citrus sweetness. Both flavors remain in harmony the whole time you drink this beer. Even the after-taste maintains the balance between the two.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, extremely easy to drink, there's a good kick to it, this is an excellent beer to drink all night long.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 08, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Many, many thanks to hoppymeal for this excellent surprise he included in our recent trade!
Pours a slightly hazy dusky orange into my nonic; a densely-packed just-off-white head sits on top. Magnificent citrus aromas: Satsuma pith and grapefruit rind scents predominate. A sweet smell lurks beneath, caramelly I think, but for the most part inscrutable. Fantastic bitterness with the hop profile: the main flavors I pick up are citrus (grapefruit and bergamot), but there is also a killer earthy mineral flavor which emerges after the initial citric flavors burst forth -- this is unlike any other bitter flavor I've experienced. Medium-light body, juicy and refreshingly dry mouthfeel -- just what I was wanting tonight. I've been growing pretty tired of thick syrupy IPAs lately -- Nugget Nectar is not at all of that ilk and truly hits the spot. I'd like to pick up a case of this next time I'm in PA this coming winter. Excellent beer; highly recommended.

orfeu, Oct 08, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

12-ounce bottle courtesy of bitterbill.

Pour is a hazy intense deep orange-amber under a thick off-white one-finger head. Pretty. I LOVE cloudy beers -- the cloudiness seems to foretell a depth of flavor. Am I right in this case?

Smell is intense. Grass, hay, spicey clove, some citrus. Really nice aroma, like a Hefe-weizen on steroids.

Taste is intensely hoppy. Pine hops. Citrus hops. Bitter hops. However, there's a solid malt foundation here that evens everything out. There is a huge load of Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops, to be sure, but there's also some interesting balance. I'm not sure I'm crazy about it, but it's interesting. Long bitter finish, but not dry-bitter. More like orange-flavored bitter with some peppery spice.

Mouthfeel is very refreshing, almost cleansing.

Drinkability? Well, I don't know whether to give it a 5 because of the cleansing, refreshing feeling or a 2 due to the long bitter finish: so, I compromised with a 3.5.

As a malt lover, I admit to being statistically outside the first standard deviation on this one. So, take my numbers with a grain of salt -- or a pound of malt.

ColoradoBobs, Oct 07, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a deep cloudy amber with a modest head. Smell is fantastic with floral hops aroma to die for. Delicious hops tast with grapefruit overtones. A well balanced brew with a lingering finish I can't seem a way to describe. An extremely drinkable ale that does seem more of an IPA.

techdiver, Oct 07, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to BeerBeing for delivering a case of this to Beerinator at DarkLord day.

A - Pours a strawish golden orange with a small 2 finger white head.

S - Delicious juicy hops. Pine, citrus, and grapefruit. Some grassiness mixed in. This would make a tasty IPA aroma.

T - Piney, citrus, grapefruit, earthy hops. There is a slight sweet malt background but the hops truly take over on this one. There is a weird after taste that I can't place. Dirty earthiness?, metallic?, I just can't tell but it is just enough to ruin the delicious hop flavor.

M - Coats the mouth nicely without being syrupy. A little on the high end for carbonation. Very dry finish.

D - This one really baffles me. I have never tasted a beer that was so pleasant but left such a weird taste in my mouth. I waited until I tried all 8 I had over several months and I still can't put my finger on this one. This beer is my Jeckyl and Hyde. Some sips very good and some sips leaving me wanting to move on to another beer. More of an IPA than Amber in my mind.

brewcrew76, Oct 07, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

The Troegs beers are really good, however I was not impressed with this beer. I am not sure why. Everyone I have talked to said that it was really good. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something. However the appearance was really good and the color looked really good too. The small was not so great and neither was the mouthfeel. I guess the take home message for this beer to watch where you get it and check the born on date.

jrb1001, Oct 06, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear amber gold with lots of bubbles and a huge head of foam that likes to start coming out of the bottle upon opening. The foam *does* settle down after a while but there's still a solid layer and lots of lacing right through the entire session.

The smell is all hoppy with lots of citrus and some sweet malt.

The taste is big on hops up front...the citrus in the smell is there but it's not super bitter as I expected and wait, the malt shows up mid way through with some caramel sweetness and it does a good job of balancing out the overall flavour. Nice. Very nice indeed.

The finish just reiterates the balance in flavours that I mentioned and makes for a pretty darned delectable aftertaste. Wow. This is a goody!

Bottom line: This is an awesome Amber that is so drinkable despite the rather high %abv and a *must* try in my book!

Thanks to ggaughan and jwc215 for the samples I got in trade!!

Bitterbill, Sep 28, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a deep hazy copper hue with a one finger white pillowy head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong upfront oily hop aroma. Pine, grapefruit and pepper were detected. A nice doughiness was present as well.

The taste was very well balanced. A multi-tiered hop flavor was couched in a substantial soft doughy malt. Mildly sweet and fruity finish, but not overpowering. No residual alcohol presence.

The mouthfeel was full and mildly chewy.

Overall a very nice and very drinkable amber. Not the hop bomb I was hoping for, but excellent nonetheless. Thanks to makeitavintage for this beauty.

plaid75, Sep 09, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.
No freshness date. 93 i.b.u.'s.

Pours a hazy glowing, orange, copper color, with a half inch off white colored head. Tons of delicate lacing left behind. Lots of citrusy, piney hops up front, with a decent amount of malt aromas, in the background. Tons of hops dominates the taste, with a strong malt backbone. Pretty well balanced. Taste more like an IPA rather than an amber ale. Still, this a very tasty brew. Medium body feel and quite easy too drink. My first from Troegs, and I hope I can get my hands on more!

BigDaddyWil, Sep 04, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for this one ...

Pours a clean medium copper color with a nice white head that slowly dissipated into intricate lacing. Nose is of citrus, pine, and fruits, co-mingled with a nutty malt background. Palate is so well-rounded, and not like a typical amber. Hops are assertive throughout, and the sweet malt character keeps it balanced. The relatively high ABV is very well masked. Delicious. Mouthfeel is medium and very creamy. Good hoppy bitterness keeps it honest. This is a user-friendly beer that doesn't shrink back from using strong hop flavors. This beer is both biting and smooth. I don't typically like amber ales ... this is an exception in every regard. Almost more of a hybrid between a British and American IPA, really. Very, very drinkable. I want more.

beerphilosopher, Aug 26, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -6%

This is pretty much what I thought it would be. I poured a slightly cloudy orange bronze colour with a white soapy head that faded away in a matter of seconds. It laced the edges of my glass quite nicely. This really isn't *my style* of brew, but it looks nice, for what it is. I have heard so much about this and seen it discussed so much in the forums, I had to have it. But anyhow, back to the beer. The one thing I like most about this style, and this one in particular, is the smell. That grapefruit / pine resin smell. I have to be in the mood for it, but when I fancy this style, nothing else will do. This offering from Tröegs is quite possibly the most fantastic display of the grapefruit / pine resin smell I have experienced to date. In fact, it almost smells like sweetened grapefruit juice with a bit of pine sap in the background, as well as a touch of malt. The taste is more of the same. Again, this isn't really my style, but given what this is, it's absolutely fantastic!! The mouthfeel is wonderful, for the style, with a perfect amount of carbonation.
Many thanks to BeerBeing for the trade which has allowed me to try this fantastic brew!!

SilentSabre, Aug 14, 2006