Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of kmpitz2. Many thanks. Label states that Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops are used. Pours out a clear, golden, body topped by an impressive, three finger eggshell head. Excellent retention and profuse patchy lace. Beautiful to behold.
Aroma is fruity hops with a distinct note of floral orange blossom. Clover honey and pink grapefruit are very prominent. Delicate malt presence adds a touch of honey drenched caramel.
Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied. Feels very luxurient, with a prominent hops sting.
Taste comes off as very well balanced, but the hops take centerstage. Orange and pineapple are very tasty, with bitter grapefruit rind rounding things out and providing a dry finish. Malt presence balances well with a clover honey presence.
Another exceptional offering from an impressive brewery. Well deserving of its hype.

merlin48, Mar 23, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Troeg's hopback amber ale is one of my favorite beers so I jumped at the chance to pick this one up. As i was hoping this is an excellent beer. The pour is a golden amber with a large, bone white, thin foamed head. The smell is a mixture of powerfull, floral hops and sweet malts. The was a noticable amount of fruit as well such as cantelope and what i thought was pear. Taste was hops hops hops, but well balanced. Taste is of ripe fruit on the tip of the tongue followed by some maltiness. It finishes with sweet fruit and a powerful surge of hop bitterness. This beer is exceptionally smooth and coats the mouth wonderfully. You can definately have more than one off these beers, even with the alcohol content being the way it is. I wish it was available more often. If you enjoy well hopped ipa's this will more than satisfy you. Nugget Nectar rocks!!!

mattpetti, Mar 22, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to goindownsouth for sending me a sample. Beers like this are currently unavailable in my neck of the woods due to the 6% ABV cap. Hopefully that will change soon. Cool label implies that this beer is not for the faint of heart. Pours a beautiful honey gold with a thick rocky tan head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass after every sip. Aroma is of freshly cut pine, with a little citrusy grapefruit in the background. Taste is very hoppy (93 IBU) but well balanced by the sweet malts. An outstanding brew that has no faults. I like hoppy brews and this one is the BOMB.

clemtig76, Mar 22, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

On cask at the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium

Had to jump on the chance to have this on cask...

A - Poured a rich, dark honey yellow/orange color, with a foamy head that lasted the entire glass.

S - First smell is powerpacked with sweet, citrusy hops, but does not overwhelm.

T - The very first taste is a mouthful of sweet hoppines, and like the aroma subdues itself on subsequent tastings. The rest of the glass was a nice balance of orange/lemon like sweetness from the initial taste with a more floral bitterness on the finish.

M - Perfect creaminess like you would expect on cask.

D - May not be bitter enough for some hopheads, but a wonderfully smooth and balanced flavor profile.

Definitely more memorable than the pint I had on draught (not cask) at Fatheads a few weeks ago (tho that was after a pint of the DFH 90). I feel sorry for the bottle of Nugget Nectar I bought at D's last week before I knew it was going to be on cask. :)

jasonm, Mar 21, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

I had this also on tap at the brewery but I took a growler home for further consumption. Looks a nice shade of orange with a white top. The smell is not what I was expecting, I thought this would be like ground up fresh hops shoved in my nose. In reality it had a mild grassy-earth citrus smell that was limp and the malt was weak behind it with a touch of alcohol. The taste was sharp hop stab and a good flavor overall the yeast leave it fruity, this is not something I really like or dislike. A yawn in these days of much better hopped beers, this needs some more hops in the back end. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Higravity, Mar 20, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured a clear deep copper with a creamy-like white one finger head that settles slowly leaving a sheet of lace behind.Sharp citric,piney hop aromas abound there was a very noticable nutty malt character underneath as well.I like the almost creamy mouthfeel its full in body but smooth and pleasant going down.Although a big hop profile flavor wise going on its neither brash or bitter its just a long smooth piney,herbal character that lasts from beginning till end.Lightly sweet caramel malt base holds up well to the hops.It a very enjoyable beer to drink just smooth as hell and of course hoppy enough to keep me happy.

oberon, Mar 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

The Troegs Nugget Nectar pours from the wickedly labeled 12oz bottle a wonderful, perfectly clear golden peach color with a half inch of creamy white head on top. I really like the color and clarity here. Aromas of dank, fresh, juicy green hops rush into my nose. Citrusy, floral, herbal, piney resin over a nice sweet crystalline caramel background that a smidge doughy. Lupulin runs the show here in fine fashion, delightful.

First sip brings a typhoon of fresh leafy green hops. Orange and citrus with a leafy herbal tea aspect. Mix in some piney resins and you have one tasty, hoppy treat. There's a nice crisp malt background with a touch of caramel along with a hint of toasty dough. A tasty brew that brings the hops...drink it fresh!

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a sturdy blast of active carbonation on each sip. Goes down almost too easily and I could see myself adoring a six pack of this brew without blinking an eye. All hopped out but still balanced. This is damn fine brew that I highly recommend seeking out and drinking sooner than later. If you love those green, sticky hops you won't be sorry. Thanks to blitheringidiot for the hook up.

orbitalr0x, Mar 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Executive Summary: Troegs continues to impress me. Just a wonderful mix of hops against an excellent amber backdrop. Here's hoping I find more!

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber pour, with a fervent cream-colored head that's loathe to subside. Lacing is fantastic!

Smell: I may have my new air-freshener prototype. Hops aplenty...just a fantastic combination, including two of my favorites: Warrior and Simcoe

Taste: What the aroma suggested, the taste delivers. Initial malt sweetness first combined with, then overtaken by hop flavor and bitterness. This is truly a study in the tiered profile a good hoppy beer can contain. The bitterness lingers just the right amount of time after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Appropriate for a complex, hoppy brew. Not as sticky as an Imperial IPA, but since this is technically not a DIPA, this is a good thing. Medium body with a light carbonation, allowing the hop flavors to take center stage.

Drinkability: I'll gladly sit back with several of these. There's enough variability in the flavors to hold my interest over a session. 7.5% ABV isn't enough to keep me from going back to the well a few times.

kpantz, Mar 16, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Light orange with red-orange hues. Nice two finger head from a medium to hard pour. Smell is of pine, citrus, and biscuits and maybe a touch of scotch. Taste is pungent hops and smooth toasty malt. Overall, like all of Troegs beers, this has a very clean, fresh taste. It's hops are more pungent than bitter really, but still bitter enough for the hophead in me. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is insanely high. Troegs rocks, this beer rocks, and my socks rock as well.

Bleedingshrimp, Mar 15, 2006

Thanks to warriorsoul for the sample.This is a quite a good beer. While the alcohol is very well-hidden, it is a little bit rough going down. There is a very nice fruity smell that leads into a harsh hoppiness in the back of the throat. It is there for a second or two, and then it finishes clean. This is a good offering from Troeg's.

bignick, Mar 15, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Double amber, IPA, whatever, it's a terrific beer. An IPA, and not too bitter. Very drinkable. This would be a standard back home, thanks to Dan123 who will correct me, whom I enjoyed a good trade and lots of good beer in Atlanta with. Smooth with orange worked in..

Sammy, Mar 15, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

pours an extremely clear orange with golden highlights and a touch of deep red in the shadows of a pint glass. head is a one inch bright white with excellent lacing. delicious hop aromas. strong citrusy grapefruit with a touch of orange and lime. also some grass and piney aromas. call me crazy, but i also get a hint of sea spray in the nose. wonderful hop nose. very nice hop bitterness with lightly grassy and piney notes that you can taste through your nose when you sip. hops take charge with very nice flavor and bitterness and burps. but, this isn't as hoppy as some impy ipas or even some hoppier ipas or apas. there is a mild bready and yeasty note at the back of the sip, but nowhere near balances the hop character. there's also a disappointing light metallic flavor at the back of the sip and this is the second bottle i've noticed it in. mouthfeel is a light-medium body that feels crisp in your mouth with good carbonation. goes down super easy. a lingering bitterness and bready aftertaste keeps you drinking. overall, this is quite the brew. i'm one of only a few who's not big fan of the hopback amber, but this imperial version is delicious. nice session brew with great hop characters in the nose and flavor. would rank even higher without the metal, but i'll recommend it anyways.

Px2GrafX, Mar 14, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Possibly the most hoppy beer I've ever had. Tried it at a beer fest and got at least 2-3 samples of it. Bursting with hops! The aroma is crazy, not so much citrusy but like your sticking your nose into a pile of hops, probably higher alpha. Taste is amazing...very earthy with hops. Mouthfeel was average, not bad, nice golden color and white-ish head. Great beer, could've had it all night.

I'm updating this on 3/28/12. I've tried this the past 2 years and it's just not the same. A much lower hop presence. Still a good Amber beer but not that phenom that created all the demand. It appear to be darker now too since my original review. It's a deep red.

harsley, Mar 13, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had been dying to try this. I thought it was only served on tap and when I found it in bottles at Stateline Liquors...I was ECSTATIC!!! Nugget Nectar did not disappoint. Hoppy...Warrior is prevalent...malt balance..but the hops hit the nose first. Poured into a pint glass, lacing was excellent and the head held. Terrific amber color. Bitter citric hops at the beginning and end, but it did alot of fleeting tastes in between. I believe that was the malt struggling to get through all those wonderful hops. I'm a hop-head, so this satisfied my urges.

My only gripe is that this is in with the Amber Ales and not so much an IPA. So it's a little heavier than my tastes. The ABV was a little lower than I thought it would be which is not bad since that can lead to a better session beer.

I'm not sure this is "orignal" Nugget Nectar recipe the Troegs had going, but it sure is a sweet addition to their package lineup!!!

ITK4ever, Mar 13, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

This beer is absolutely brilliantly clear, and I mean brilliant. It is a deep copper color with reddish over-tones. The head is initially two-fingers thick, but seems to disappear to a thin layer fairly quickly, it is a pale tan color. The aroma is raw and hoppy, which is quite apparent even as I am pouring this beer into my glass. Aromatic notes of sweet grapefruit, lychee, apricot are up front, but there is a raw, grassy, almost herbal, pine-like note here that plays a supporting role to all of the sweet fruit-hop notes.

The taste is sharp and bitter from the get go. Sharp herbal notes hit the tongue as the beer becomes lightly astringent, and ends with a tongue flagellating bitterness that lingers on for quite some time. There are lots of fruity hop notes here as well, a smooth lychee, almost apricot note seems to lead, but ample notes of sweet citrus fruit are also found here. This beer is missing a lot of that raw, grassy hop character that one would expect in a beer like this, but I have a feeling a lot of that was filtered out. There is just enough malt here to give a touch of sweetness, which certainly helps with the fruit notes. This beer is quite light feeling and goes down easily, it is almost on the thin side, but does manage to live up to the hop character.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the life has been filtered out of this beer (or perhaps it was never here to begin with). Don't get me wrong it is tasty, but it is missing a lot of complexity, even for a hop bomb, that would make this beer quite a bit better. Luckily, I can be a hop head, so this beer is still quite enjoyable.

Gueuzedude, Mar 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a golden amber color with a great creamy three finger head that has great retention. A constant stream of carbonation fed the head through the duration of the beer. At bottoms up there was still one finger of froth toping this masterpiece.

Smell: The aroma is a remarkably sweet malt flavor. I was expecting to get hit with the hops first but first came an almost candied aroma which was then followed by the great bold hops.

Taste: I am not a hophead. (I know why would I drink something called Nugget Nectar then.) This beer actually holds up for us Malt guys as well. It does get a bit more green than my preference. I don't prefer the pine flavor but it was like eating 'sour-patch kids' candy, you almost enjoy the torture of each tart bite because it is also so sweet yet when the bag is empty you are happy for that glass of water and relief.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was not quite as big as I would have liked to see from a beer who's flavor is so big. I was thinking American Barleywine though because in reality next to most IPAs I have had this medium bodied IPA is above average.

Drinkability: I have a one Nugget Nectar tolerance level. So I can only give it a 3 for drinkability but that said, I really enjoy that one, and them I really enjoy the relief after.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 11, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Oh, what a surprisingly yummy brew... After falling in love with the Hopback Amber and now the Nugget Nectar I think I've found a new favorite PA brewery (sorry, Victory...)

The pour is a very inviting medium amber-brown with a thinnish white head. The foam doesn't last long but the collar leaves some lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

The nose is full of aromatic pine and citrus notes bordering on acrid but very inviting. There's a clear resinous note that's immediately clear on the pour and it's a good indication of the flavors to come...

The taste is very impressive. I've deducted some points because the malt body is quite weak and yet it's -still- a 4.5 because the hop presentation is incredible. Strong, clear, fresh flavors of pine and citrus dominate the sip from beginning to end but there's no bitterness to detract. The malt body is practically nonexistent in comparison - just a few light grain flavors and a small touch of amber ale sweetness and fruitiness but otherwise it's all hops all the time. I can't get over the clarity of the flavors - the presentation is perfect.

Mouthfeel is good - it's a medium bodied beer with a lot of fine carbonation to lighten the drink. Bitterness is really quite miminal considering the hop flavors but it's the right amount to finish each sip.

As far as drinability is concerned, one yardstick I often use is how do I feel at the bottom of the glass - in this case I'm immediately looking forward to the next one and I'm thankful that -two- BA's were kind enough to send me Nugget Nectar. In some ways it's as unbalanced as Deschutes' Hop Trip APA which had practically no body but excellent (fresh, wet) hops. This is similar but as an IPA - a bit more than no body but again it's all hops, hops, hops.

And that's a good thing.

[Re-reviewing... On my first bottle I couldn't find much of anything in the nose but it must have been allergies - this time the taste was exactly the same and the nose just screams "hops!" - again, a good thing]

RedwoodGeorge, Mar 11, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a pristinely clear honey orange crowned w/ a frothy, sticky, greyish head that retains less than admirably. Lacing is shy, leaving only faint traces.

Smell: Wonderful experience. Sweet, citrusy hops up front. Pronounced fruity esters rush into the nostrils. Reminded of tangerine, peach. The malts are subtle, emerging as a delicate pastry.

Taste: Extrordinary melange of hops. Bitter and piney while replete w/ fruity esters at the same time. Some background spiciness, maybe a subdued ginger? Bready maltiness, perhaps some rye.

Mouthfeel: Excellent. Medium-to-full bodied for an IPA. Rich and textured. Apt carbonation. Sumptuous on the tongue.

Drinkability: Quite good. Full flavor, pleasant on the tongue, just enough ABV. Great complexity lets one keep exploring new tastes.

clabaugh, Mar 10, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting for this for a few weeks now. Was trying to find it then came across it at Whole Foods.
A: Pours a clear, golden yellow with a small offwhite head. Lacing is ok.
S: Fruity. Grapefruits along with piney hops are all over the nose.
T: Man, its different. Not in a bad way though. Lots of fruity and earthy hops, with a few piney ones in the background. Well balanced with some sourdough bread malts in there. Taste finishes pretty clean for an IPA.
M: Good carbonation, slick on the tongue. Goes down really smooth.
D and notes: I like this, I will definetly pick it up again if I have the chance. Well worth the wait, goes up with Smuttynose and Titan as one of my favorite IPAs.

pbr85, Mar 09, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Small head with moderate retention that leaves specks of lacing. Clear amber brew with mild carbonation visible.

S - An excellent bouquet of hops, a sweet pine aroma with some pleasant malt backing. The nugget hops make the aroma delicious, it is not as crisp as some IPAs, but I think it is better this way.

T - With the first sip I was not impressed, but very quickly I began to love this brew whole heartedly. The intense pine is evident and sweet throughout the flavor. The malt backing is overshadowed, but present (not as sweet as the odor suggested). There is a pretty strong bitterness in the aftertaste and next to the lingering sweet pine flavor it is wonderful.

M - Thin, smooth and very, very refreshing. Many hoppy beers lose a lot here to me because the hop bitterness creates a drying effect, but that doesn't happen at all with Nugget Nectar. My mouth was watering for more with each sip.

D - Great! I could easily session this straight to disaster. Is an excellent choice for the few foods that intense hops don't ruin. Troegs is right next to my hometown and I am proud to support my local brew! I think that Troegs is the best brewery in Pennsylvania.

mrasskicktastic, Mar 08, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Did someone say six-hundo??? A big shout out to Kevin, who will be missed as he ventures out away from Kentucky and back to his homeland. One great BA and friend he is, especially for all the beer he has helped me consume, this one included. 12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep copper, almost light mahogony color with two huge fingers of foam. There's a generous portion of lacing left clining to life on the sides of the glass. The smell is something of awe. This just doesn't smell good for beer, it smells better than almost anything that's ever crossed my nose. It's that awesome. Lots of juicy hop aroma, sticky and sweet. It's perfect, really no other way to describe it. I won't even bother going on. The taste isn't fair behind. A slight sweetness moves over the tongue just long enough to make its presence known. Then's it's all hops from here. Floral and piney, all coming together. Not overly bitter, just a great hop flavor that lasts on the palate, creating a breathtaking finish. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and chewy. Yum yum. The drinkability is phenominal for a 7.5% brew. What a great way to spend my 600th review. A great beer from a great friend. I can't thank him enough.

SheepNutz, Mar 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

In my opinion this is the best American IPA you can buy. The name is the perfect description for this brew.

Golden/amber in color. Good head and some lacing. The smell was amazing. I expected some crisp hops and I got plenty of it. A decent feel on the mouth. The taste is crisp and smooth at the same time. Just the right amount of bitterness.

Normally for good hoppy beers I turn to the Victory Hop Wallop but this will be my new choice. It has lots going on but is highly drinkable.

chakadrum, Mar 07, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -22.8%

This is a decent beer, but I dont think its the masterpiece everyone seems to say it is.

Pleasant deep amber color with good head retention. Smells of hops hops hops.

The taste is good. Its hoppy, its an ipa, it tastes like you'd expect. This one is pretty well balanced and not too horribly bitter.

I really like everything else I've had from Troegs, but for whatever reason this beer just does nothing for me. IPAs were the first style I really loved and since then I've grown to find other styles more interesting.

chOAKbarrell, Mar 07, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Sampled from a couple of 12oz bottles... Pours a rich, clear bright golden color, topped by a thin, fine white layer of bubbles. Little lacing, though. Aroma is rich and sharp, with hops finding the range quickly. Strong and rindy. Body is middle of the road, with a fair bit of smoothness present. Some light, toasty malt works as the foundation here, upon which is layered the hops, and then more hops. Warrior, Tomahawk and Nugget, eh? Nice! A bit of grapefruit and resiny, spicy sharpness hit the palate, and the lupulins linger quite nicely. This is a solid American IPA.... very tasty! So, why's the style here American Amber/Red Ale? Huh?!? How bizarre....

Thnx to Artied2 for the bottles.
Prosit!!

overall: 4.1
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

Bierman9, Mar 06, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Coppery orange with honey colored trim. The head is the color and texture (visually at least) of tangerine mousse. It's persisting nicely, but isn't laying down much lace. That's surprising since I doubt there's anything close to a shortage of hop resins.

The nose is uber-hoppy with a complementary amount of toasted malt that, for the most part, stays out of the way. Given the hop bill (Nugget, Warrior, Tomahawk, Simcoe and Palisade), I'm not surprised that the aroma is so multi-faceted. It's primarily citric, with spicy, floral and herbal notes as well.

Nugget Nectar is exceptional, hoptastic beer. I wonder why Troegs chose to put the words Imperial Amber Ale in small print under the word Nectar. Even though the malt backbone is solid, it isn't big enough for this to be an Imperial <anything>. There's a fair amount of toasted maltiness that keeps the hop flavor from entering the stratosphere and *really* impressing me. Come to think of it, it does taste like a generously hopped amber ale.

I love almost all hoppy beer. My enthusiasm, however, is often dependant on the makeup of the hop bill. This one doesn't absolutely floor me like I though it might. That may be because there's too much floral grassiness and not enough citric spruciness. It's still delicious beer, but I would have designed it differently.

The mouthfeel is a fraction larger than medium, comfortably mid-range for an IPA (sorry, an Imperial Amber). I'm enjoying the sticky, resinous feel on the swallow and the carbonation is nicely muted as well. This is a hoppy drinker par excellence. Sessionabililty is questionable at 7.5%, but I'd be happy to give it a go.

Nugget Nectar is very good beer that should appeal to hopheads of all sorts. Lovers of the 'super citrics' will be happy, as will lovers of the more European varieties. I have no trouble at all recommending this fine ale to anyone and everyone who craves beautifully brewed, hopilicious beer.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 06, 2006