Tröegs Nugget Nectar - Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

IBU: ~93

(Beer added by: Edwin on 02-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs Nugget Nectar Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: an dark murky with a 1 and a 1/2 finger foamy head. the foam clings to the glass all the way down...i love this

Smell: When I smelled this it became apparent that this beer had more than one type of hop in it. The malts are also present in the scent. Smells real good

Taste: tastes as good as it smells. Sweet malts you'd expect from an amber beer and a larger than normal hop kick. Works well

Mouthfeel: somewhat thick and crunchy

drinkability: good but the hops and high alcohol could keep you from drinking more than a few

maek228, May 21, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours dark gold to orange with nice white head, fair amount of retention, eventually fades to white lacing on the glass. Grassy, sweet orange/citrus, and huge grapefruit aromas. Taste is sweet sweet-tarts and grapefruit bitterness. Extraordinary hop aromas and taste are assertive but well balanced. Medium bodied and creamy, a light bitter tingle on the tongue in the finish. Congratulations to Troegs for this outstanding IPA / Amber, highly drinkable.

hoppymeal, May 20, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Clear amber/orange with a tall, fluffy, off-white head. Decent retention and spotty lacing throughout. Sweet aroma with plenty of pine and grapefruit hops, a bit chalky with a light, alcohol spiciness. Interesting flavours. Orange Crush, leafy and grapefruity hops, with a sweet tart bitterness. Toasted malt and a mild alcohol tingle in the finish. Medium bodied, medium/low carbonation, and a slightly viscous texture from residual sugar. A solid beer with a lot going on - decent balance makes it pretty easy to drink.

DrJay, May 20, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Ok, first things first. Imperial Amber Ale??? Id swear its a label typo that should read IPA. Seriously, this is an IPA if Ive ever had one.

Ok. Pours a nice amber color ;)....Slight head that disspates rather quickly. Smell is all about the hops. Floral, piney, citrusy....in a word: yum. The taste is nothing short of fantastic. Sweet, hoppy nectar. Floral and piney hops, with grapefruit and great malty balance. Nectar is a fitting name, cause this one tastes like hop juice straight from the cone. Smooth as they come. Rediculous drinkability. Ive been saving this one for when I was in a hoppy mood, and this one satisfies my hop craving quickly. If I could get this one locally, it would be a staple in my fridge.

Great beer. Hopheads, seek this one out. It doesnt disappoint.

wingnutter, May 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -9%

I got a few of these in a trade with my brother. The words 'imperial amber' underscore the main title on the label.

It indeed pours straight amber; a smooth, syrupy pour. Thin, creamy looking off white head meniscussing (yeah, I know, not a real word) on the edge of the glass.

Scent is largely grapefruity, which confirms that there were lots of Nuggets used in the making of this ale. American Nuggets. The neck label mentions Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops.

And, yeah, the bitterness is there, but it does not obscure the malts, so the balance is pretty good. Until afterwards, when hop bitterness lingers.

Nugget Nectar has a little bit of body to it, and is lightly carbonated. I can't really pick up any alcohol taste or odor.

Another good one from Tröegs, another PA craft brewery that makes me proud to live in this state.

edskirk3, May 18, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a clear orange/amber, small off white head forms, settles down to a thick layer and big rings on the side of the glass, lots of lacing. Smell is nice and hoppy, lots of pine and grapefruit, some citrus, caramel, touch of alcohol, nicely balanced. Taste is pine and grapefruit up front, lots of caramel and toffee through the middle, citrus kick, then a wheaty dryness and clean bitterness through the finish, with a solid pine aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very solid, hopped up red ale, IPA, whatever it is its balanced and tasty, a definite treat. Thanks DrJay!

Viggo, May 14, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Got this one during a trade on Dark Lord Day....

Pours a very nice honey colour, with just the slightest hint of haze. Head is one finger, off white, and falls at a decent rate.

Aroma is of hops, mixed with orange and papaya. Nice spiciness on the nose. Some malt undertone here, as well.

Nice hop bitterness right up top. Unfortunately, there's a slightly wet towel hint here. Nice maltiness follows with an orange overtone, of course tempered by the hops. Not bad.

A little high on the carbonation for me. It kind of detracts just a bit from the liquid, which is hearty but not thick.

Despite a couple of slight drawbacks, I find this one to be rather drinkable, and I wouldn't mind another. ;)

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, May 05, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the change to sample this one.

Bottle inspection: States that it's an imperial amber brewed with Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops. 93-ish IBU's. cool.

Aroma: Orange juice, lemon peel, citrus all over the place! Great aromatics. Very inviting.

Appearance: Cloudy burnt orange with a creamy, bubbly white cap.

Flavor: Bitter orange peel up front, orange juice sweetness in the middle, bittering and slightly dry alcohol finish. This is all about the hops. Very citrus-laden but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a touch oily, and lively carbonation. Keeps popping on the palate!

Overall impression: A bit of a one-trick pony but very well done. A hop head's delight! Simply a "must try" if you like hops. Strongly recommended.

mattcrill, Apr 30, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Received this beer from Fish113d in a trade...

Appearance is a clear deep copper, not particularly amber as expected from the description. Head is thin with poor retention, although carbonation appears strong. The aroma is only mildly potent, smelling much like piney/citrus hops and light sugary malt. Light citrus hops dominate the taste at first, then allowing some degree of bready malt flavor to peek through. A small dose of bitterness lingers, as well as a nutty flavor in the finish. Some character is reminiscent of an Amber Ale, but it more like an American IPA. Medium-thick, with a minor creamy mouthfeel, the carbonation lightly pierces the front of the tongue. This beer didn't really impress me, it was solid, but not spectacular on any level. I would recommend trying it, just don't expect it to be amazing...

bennetj17, Apr 30, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -26.7%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for providing me with this beer.

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Good clarity. Pretty amber color.

Aroma: heavy on the hops. A little catty, gasoliny.

Taste: Quite interesting, a style I can't quite place (what is an imperial amber anyway?) but a little too sharp, estery, and grassy to be well rounded. Not enough malt. A strong ale, highly hopped.

Reminds me of Middle Ages Wailing Wench. If it were available in my area I'd gladly buy it, on occasion.

Calico, Apr 29, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a redish-orange, transparent, with a small 1/2" fluffy head that recedes fairly quickly. Smells sweet with a very pronounced grapefruit and floral hoppiness. Reminds me of my favorite IPAs. This is an Amber? Could have fooled me. About the IPA classification, my mouth agrees with my nose. At first, citris hops dominate, but then it moves to a sweet, toasted malty flavor that I couldn't pick up on the scent. Finishes exceptionally balanced between the hops and malts. Mouthfeel is so smooth that I'm going to give it a 5.0. I'd give it an 11 if they let me. Great, smooth, medium mouth that doesn't allow me to put the bottle down for more than a few seconds. Drinkability is very nice as well. Many thanks to a couple of friends that aided in getting this to me. I wish I could get this in California.

SethB2, Apr 27, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Got 3 in a trade with zrrbrrt

A: Pours an amber color with red hues. Nice initial half finger white head that dissipates quickly leaving a whit efilm on top. Bubbles making their way up from the bottom.
S: Aromas of pine dominate with a background of citrus fruit and grass. Malt is noticeable if you take a huge wiff.
T: Piney and grassy hop blast hits your taste buds first followed by a mixture of bready malts and citrus fruit. Bitter aftertaste is very nice with a lemony/grapefruit injection to remind you of the initial taste.
M & D: Smooth drinking ale. Slightly oily at the roof of the mouth and a bit tingly on the sides of the tongue. Good level of carbonation doesn't take away from the hop blast. Drinkability is very high on this offering from Troegs. Sessionable, but beware that abv might creep up on you.

bjohnson, Apr 21, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to meathookjones for this one. Another very good choice included by him as just a nice gesture in a trade.

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a huge dense head that places a thick lace all around the snifter.

Scent is of huge, piney, grassy hops. Burried deep in there is carmel malts as well. Very nice, the scent just makes my mouth water.

Taste is carmel malts, wonderful fruits-apricots, pineapples and grapes. I love complex hop flavors, this is a prime example of that taste. The hops are there throughout piney, grassy and just a bit of citrus all at the same time. The pine ends the whole experience however. Yes, as I burp it's all hops. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with light carbination which is perfect for this beer. It is very smooth and drinkable, refreshing.

Drinkability is exceptional. Combined with the hops, the smooth and refreshing mouthfeel this beer could almost be a session beer. However, the abv would kick my ass after just a few. It is one of the most drinkable beers to ever cross these lips.

If you get the chance trade for it, buy it, steal it, just try it for godsake! Good Beer!!

trumick, Apr 18, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A - 2 1/2" off-white dense head. Orange-amber beer. Great retention on a head that leaves some thick lace rings.

S - Huge hop aroma. Very IPA-like. Characteristic citrus peel. Also some tropical fruit aromas (pineapple) float around in the nose. Any malt notes in the aroma are initially subdued by the outstanding juicy hops. Some malt is apparent about half-way through the glass as the beer warms.

T - I was expecting the flavor to be a little out of balance from what I got out of the nose. Not at all. This beer has a very nice malty presence in the flavor. Caramel. Bready. A mild earthiness. All wrapped up with an awesome hop bite in the middle and a great bitter finish.

M - Medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Slick, oily. Low to medium carbonation.

D - Drinkable to the extreme. Great balance for an "Imperial" anything. I only had one bottle so I was trying to savor it, it is so drinkable that I downed it far faster than I intended. Wonderful beer, well deserving of accolades.

Thanks to Maltygoodness for the sample.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Apr 18, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

What’s so surprising about this beer is how average it looks – crystal clear amber with very little head. The first star here is the nose – a hop soup of various hops all in wonderful balance. The taste is just as great in its hoppy goodness and drinkability but a bit thin on the body. This is a great tasting IPA despite calling this an amber. This is a must try for hop heads with unique flavors of grapefruit and wet crackers on the palate which last a long time once you take a sip. Wonderful.

lou91, Apr 17, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, light orangey color. Light penetrates all the way through the pint. Slight head which dissipated quickly. Average carbonation.

Aroma: Tons of hops in the aroma! Wonderful! Smells Delicious. Fruity, citrusy smell also dominant.

Taste: Wonderful hoppy flavor, but not bitter whatsoever. Very smooth & refreshing. Hoppy finish awesome. I love how its very hoppy without being overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp & clean. Light to medium bodied. Carbonation & light body leaves mouth clean & fresh.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable! Wonderfully clean, easy drinking beer. I could drink multiple of these in a sitting.

Comments: I loved this beer!! Really tasty & well crafted. Malty enough but hops are the star of the show here. I was surprised they call this an Imperial Amber Ale. I woud have thought of it as an IIPA. I highly recommend this to all hops lovers....

JMD71, Apr 16, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Many thanks to Px2Grafx for this bottle.

12oz brown bottle, I really dig the graphics on this one. 7.5 abv, and imperial amber, eh? Can’t say I’ve ever had one. If there’s a date or bottle code on here, I don’t see it. Quite frankly I’m a bit too eager to drink the bastard to look very hard, though.

Nose is standard amber, with a noticeable hop kick. Sweet overtones to boot.

Pouring in to my trusty Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Not as opaque as I had expect, looks like a decent IPA. A very clear burnt orange with just a hint of amber. ¼” inch head faded quickly (I did have to fish a speck of something out of the head with my finger, which I imagine aided in its speedy demise). Not a whole lot of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass, but they’re definitely there. Not a whole lot of lacing action, but there is some.

Pretty tasty. Very IPA inspired, in my humble opinion. The amber is almost an afterthought. Very well balanced, not as complex as I had anticipated. A slight caramelly flavor rushes into a burst of very piney hops, with just a slight hint of fruity sweetness at the end. This all passes very quickly, with the hop taste being the predominate flavor. It’s quite tasty, just not very complex. This leaves it very drinkable, however, and the mouth feel is very passive, but pleasing.

WaffleSauce, Apr 16, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

My turn to finally have a crack at this thing...

Pours solidly into the glass, big huge bubbles abound in the carbonation and I am ready to go, smell is of major hop kickback, alcohol and malt. Taste is brutally hoppy, stretching me to the limit, I love hops but this came close to overkill for even me, still damn tasty though and goes down well for a big beer. Be careful with this one, four or five of these quick and you'll be in trouble.

Final rating- I love it, like all of Troegs' beers but it lacks the perfection of balance of Hopback or Sunshine Pils in their regions, that said, it is a ramped up IPA that competes EASILY with the best IPAs you can find, bar-none. So congrats to Troegs.

TheDeuce, Apr 12, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This should be re-classified, as this is not an Amber Ale. The related Hopback yes, the nectar, no. Wow. My wife brought some back from her recent trip to PA. This could replace Terrapin Rye as our daily beer. The aroma was something else. Very, very hoppy, but also with a different, more mellow, not so resin-based smell. The mouthfell makes one feel like you're tasting nectar. No hop bitterness or chewiness. I hear that the lucky folks in PA can get this on Cask. I'm moving.

doubleipa, Apr 10, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep amber/red color. Huge nose of Northwest hops. Hop explosion.

The flavor is a hopheads dream. Just enough malts to keep it satisfying with all the hops. Juicy citrus flavors - loads of grapefruit. The label does it well - hop juice!

The mouthfeel is decent, but just a bit thin. Could certainly drink more than one despite the huge hop bittering - unlike some big double IPAs that wear out the taste buds at one.

Very good beer.

sweethome, Apr 09, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle, served chilled.

Appearance - Poured a burned orange color with little head. Lacing clings and clings...and clings.

Smell - Flowers and a strong hop aroma tickle my nose. The malts and caramel add some sweetness. I can't detect any alcohol smell, which worries me :)

Mouthfeel - Less carbonated than I would have expected. The hops cling to my mouth and provide a noticable tingle. Overall mouthfeel is a bit on the light side, but not too watery.

Taste - I would call this HopBack's more ornery cousin. The hop profile is obviously stronger and gives a grassier, rougher flavor. Grapefruit is the strongest flavor, followed by some orange, banana, and spices. After the hop twang burns off, the malts appear and the beer becomes quite sweet. There is a weak alcohol burn at the end. Good balance between the bitter and the sweet.

Drinkability - What is it with these beers and hidden alcohol? I would have never guessed 7.5%. However, even if the alcohol didn't get me, my tastebuds would probably be fried after two of these. Personally, I didn't think there was quite enough carbonation.

Overall - This beer has been hailed by fellow advocates, so my expectations were high. Honestly, it didn't live up to the hype in my mind. Granted, this is still a nice beer that is well balanced for the style. It just wouldn't be my first choice for a hop fix. Still, definitely worth a try for any lover of hops.

jhollick, Apr 06, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - clear golden copper color with a little head atop the body.

Smell - very hoppy. one the hoppiest beers i have had in a very long time. Scents of pine needles and memories of a christmas tree come to mind.

Taste - lots of hops and malts in this concoction. Citrus and malts are coming together to create a great beer!

Mouthfeel - excellent

Drinkablitity - could and will have plenty in a time period. outstanding selection from Chris and John!

DuqTroops, Apr 05, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours with very little head and a clear reddish golden color. Bubbles form around the sides as I swirl, while the lacing settles to the surface with some sticking to the glass. Whole hop aromas from what I can assume are the Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. They combine to form a somewhat mild (using the term loosely) hop aroma. Taking a sip and letting it roll around the tougue allows the sticky hops to coat my mouth while suck-gurgling releases the hop citrus and flower burn. The finish is nicely honey and caramel malty very reminicent of the Amber style - one of my favorites. I'm slurping this down so fast I'd better be careful (I have an empty stomach). This will be nice on warm spring afternoon after mowing the lawn. This should be offered all year round. One hell of an offering from Troeg's.

Schooly, Apr 04, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

04/03/06- Received as a gift from BA member Lou91.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness dating. Poured into my Marin Brewing pint glass.

Appearance- Medium golden in color, with a 1/2 inch white head. Very nice cobweb lacing.

Smell- Extremely floral and perfumy in the nose. Maybe bits of pine hops as well. A light nose of toasted malt beneath the hops.

Taste- As the nose predicted. Lots of floral and grapefruity hop flavors. A bit of pine as well. Nice medium roasted malt flavor. Almost a green tea like flavor buried beneath.

Mouthfeel- One of the more bitter aftertastes I have encountered. Medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Great amber brew. Make that terrific. Went great with my chedder-port cheese and artichoke and palm bruchetta on baked costini. Highly recommended. Thanks much for the sample Lou!

GClarkage, Apr 03, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a dark gold/amber color with a head that quickly diasappears.

Aroma is purely floral and grassy hops. Very nice hop profile it seems.

Flavor again is dominated by floral hops, but with a solid malty backbone. While it's listed as a "American Amber Ale", I feel this is definitely an IPA. It's a nice change of pace to have something this hoppy, that doesn't have an overly citrusy "C" hop profile of other american IPA's.

Mouthfeel is silky and quite nice. Coats the toungue well, with just enough carbonation to dance across it. Drinkability is fairly good considering the alcohol, but relatively low for the style.

phisig137, Apr 01, 2006