Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat - Tröegs Brewing Company

good

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: blitheringidiot on 06-25-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Cloudy yellow with a bit of lace. Yeast in aroma. sourish taste and assertive carbonation. Tasty, cloves worked, European malts and hops inspired a full mouth. Altogether combination of ideas that held together on a thirsty first sample at Mondial 2006.
Tried again about 2 years later and sweet wheat smell, light but creamy mouthfeel.

Sammy, Jun 06, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this one on tap during a nice seafood lunch. It’s a very hazy, white-ish yellow color with a modest white head. The aroma has a notable banana smell, surrounded by citrus fruits and a little clove. I didn’t find much of yeast aroma, but the esters and phenols are straightforward and fitting. The taste is all about spice and wheat. It’s soft and semi-dry, medium-to-full bodied, with a round, clove-filled finish. Hops are hidden, and the carbonation is average (I wonder if it’s higher in the bottle?). All in all, it’s a refreshing wheat brew.

Suds, Jun 04, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -4.6%

Pale yellow, properly hazy, topped by several inches of pure white level foam.

Spicey, peppery aroma evident the moment the cap is popped.

Taste is spicey, with a lemony finish, and a mix of the two in the aftertaste. Everything is light and not overdone. Fairly refreshing. Nothing really stands out though, no "wow" or "aahhh".

Nicely light mouthfeel. Easy drinking.

Right now, its an OK for spring and summer American Wheat. Acceptable but not overly interesing. Troegs Sunshine Pils or Sly Fox Royal Weiss would be preferable.

I do expect this will be tweaked a bit over time and evolve into something much more memorable, as have several other Troegs beers. As it is, I would prefer something else in the variety pack come fall.

RonfromJersey, May 08, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale golden color with a huge fluffy snow white head that recedes quickly to a thin film on the top. Lace covers the sides of the glass. Smell is of green bananas. Taste is bready and biscuity with a mild fruit finish. Tangerines maybe. Feels crisp and refreshing on the palate. Drinkable on a hot day.
Not my favorite style, but I would drink again.

wcudwight, May 02, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +11%

Very champagne-like in appearance, aside from the standard cloudiness. Straw-colored with big bubbles from bottom to top. Heady at first but slowly dies down. Banana and clove in the nose, these notes dominate in the finish as well. In between, softer notes of wheat combine with orange peel and the slightest undertone of leafy hop bitterness. Quite fuller bodied for the style in my opinion, yet the softness of the flavors and the lower ABV make this a very refreshing beer and a worthy candidate for a summer session. No off flavors in this one whatsoever as it seems I find in many of its American brethren of the same style. One I can see drinking a few of, and given it's appearance for now in the Troegs sampler case, it seems that I will.

IrishRedRock, Apr 25, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +11%

This is a 12 oz. bottle from a mix and match six pack. The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color, almost strawlike. It is a very striking color. An inch thick head formed in the glass, but quickly dissipated, so nothing too special going on there.

My nose can detect wheat, banana, citrus, clove, lemon, and some other spices that I can't quite put my finger on. All in all, the aroma is very pleasing. The smells all blend well together. I hope the taste can live up to it.

In the mouth and down the hatch, as always, is where things get interesting. This wheat beer is surprisingly heavy in the mouth, and retains a creamy consistency. The flavor of the beer is a bit more subdued that I expected, but I'm not going to say that's a bad thing. Aside from an assertive banana aftertaste (with a touch of apple), no flavor overpowers any other. There is a real sense of harmony across the wheats, fruits, and spices. This is a unique beer in my experience with American Wheats.

Since the flavor is a bit low-key, I wouldn't drink this after I have had anything else. I'm not implying a lack of complexity, because this beer has plenty to keep me entertained through a sixer with a fellow BA. This is a great beer if you want the crisp taste of a wheat beer, but don't want to be bludgeoned with any one flavor. As usual, Troegs has dropped a well balanced and rock solid example of a beer style. I'll definitely be looking/hoping for this to be available by the case for this spring and summer. Cheers!

jhollick, Apr 23, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a cloudy straw yellow coloration. The head was two fingers high and quickly resolved to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beer has a very good sweet wheaty malty smell. There is a very pleasing peppery coriander punch combined with a wiff of lemon.

Taste: The beer has pleasing bready bannana taste. There is a good balance between sweetness and peppery coriander.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is light bodied. This is a well balanced beer. This beer is overall a very drinkable and great sessionable beer.

nlmartin, Apr 13, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Extremely pale, hay colored yellow. Cloudy with a sticky, fluffy white head that retains nicely. Slight rising carbonation. Decent lacing that's a bit more sporadic than "spider-web"ish.
S: Great scent. Lots of banana with tart fruit, spice/spiced fruit, some vanilla, wheat and some musty earth. A slight hint of fresh hops in the background-you have to search, but its there. The smell was "creamy" and I can definately smell this one for a while.
T: Compared to the smell the flavors were a bit bland at first. Tart fruit-lemon as the driving force - with not as much banana as I would've thought. Some spice-coriander of course, some earth and wheat with a definate hop presence. Fresh hop presence that gave the flavor a bit of uniqueness compared to other banana and coriander only tasting wheats and hefes.
MF: A little light with a dry finish.
Overall: After a great nose the taste was a little dissapointing. A nice taste but I would've liked to see more pungent flavors. Everything present was good, but I wanted more. A refreshing brew worth a try and one I'll consume again.

Illinick, Mar 23, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -8.6%

A - A cloudy dark orange-yellow, it reminds me of a screwdriver that is very vodka heavy, about 4:1. The head is about one finger high and lasts for about two minutes. Only specks of lacing.

S - Lemon predominantly, a bit of banana, pineapple, cloves, allspice and bread. An okay odor, but the citrus is a really strong presence.

T - A mild lemon hits me first, followed by some wheat flavor, actually tastes more like millet though, and a mild spiciness of cloves, coriander and . . . nutmeg? I didn't expect that. The aftertaste is slightly tart with a lingering spiciness and bland bitter (which I find to be the most disappointing aspect). The taste isn't that great, but it is far from terrible. Way too much citrus. I'd say a little below average for a weizen.

M - Carbonation is a little high, but it is fairly creamy and fullbodied with a nice refreshing nature.

D - Easy to drink. Very easy. Very mild and very low abv makes this infinitely sessionable. A good compliment for food. I am not impressed by the flavor, but everywhere else this is a pretty great brew.

mrasskicktastic, Mar 22, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

The beer poured into the glass lightly hazy pale straw with a white and frothy head which laced the glass.

The aroma was estery and fruity with a slight apricot aroma and some medium banana and low clove. The presence of wheat also permeated the aroma.

The flavor was light and refreshing with the round softness of wheat with a slight bit of clove and a fruity light banana flavor.

The finish was dry with a lasting fruitiness and light clove lasting long and pleasantly into the aftertaste. The body was medium light and well done with a good carbonation level. This would make an awesome summer beer. Light and refreshing.

12 ounce bottle. Looks like it is marked bottled on 10/14/05 in stencil.

GCBrewingCo, Mar 10, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. with no freshness date and some oxidation on the cap - served chilled in a weizen glass. The beer pours very pale but the yeast makes it an opaque light yellow/gold that is lighter than a hefe. It has medium carbonation and an inch of white head that reduces to a thin layer of fine bubbles and leaves some decent lacing. It has aromas of banana and spice with spicy/doughy yeast, lemon, and some phenols (clove?). Taste is about the same with some tangy/sweet wheat but is a bit thinner than I'd like. The body is also light and it has crisp carbonation while staying smooth, but it is also a bit thinner than I'm looking for. A good thirst quencher, and I bet it's a good session ale at a cookout in the middle of the summer.

mmmbeer, Mar 09, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Cloudy, dull brown in hue with a tickle of yellow-peach; the liquid isn’t doing much for me. Bright white head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. Head retention was decent, after a couple moments the head subsided to a thin cap. Lacing started before I took a sip, I love that! Once some of the liquid was removed the subsequent lacing really became widespread. Overall, I am impressed with the appearance of this American Wheat.

The nose reeks of gunpowder! It is like Independence Day in a glass! Whoa. Do I like it? Not really! In the background are hints of citrus and wheat. Moderate potency throughout. Okay, the “smoky” smells are growing on me because the nose became a little better-rounded once a hint of clove was introduced. I am interested in taking a sip, so here goes.

The palate is a lovely blend of smoke, cloves, wheat, citrus, and spice. I really like what is going on here. It is way different then any American Wheat I have tasted. The wheatiness is kind of soft but I love the blend of cloves and smoke with a tickle of spice. There is great depth. I actually have to think about what I am drinking. Impressive. In a word I would summarize the palate as… dirty. This is not a clean, straightforward summery refreshing sissy-ass American Wheat. Nope, this is a blue collar steel mill worker after working eight hours. Damn, this is nice. I am really enjoying all the nuances.

Medium in body; moderately low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the flavor profile well. There is a long aftertaste with hearty wheatiness and a spicy, smoky residue. I bet this beer would kick-ass with a pastrami sandwich or some homemade beef jerky!

In some regards the flavors are kind of overwhelming and I am not sure I could drink many of these. I mean the style is supposed to clean and refreshing. Aw fuck that! Give me this beer in bulk. Give me keg and a cup. I love the messy feel. I am impressed. Thank you WVbeergeek; this was a pleasant surprise!

bditty187, Mar 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

This is nice...

Appearance: Pours cloudy orange with nice rocky head.

Smell: Deceiving, was expecting someting different. I was pleasantly surprised at first sip.

Taste: Nice spicy taste with good hop bite. Banana and bubble gum flavors develop as the glass gets empty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, not quite as tart or snappy as I would expect. Almost creamy.

Drinkabilty: Too bad this is only available in Sampler cases. This stuff is great. I used to swear by Penn Weizen but like this just as much! Great stuff.

peterittenhouse, Feb 18, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

reviewed over dinner on feb 10.

bought a sampler case and a six pack of this variety was inside. never had it before, but looked tempting.

golden in color and very hazy. little hops with much flavor. beer should be consumed in the summer. reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen brew.

will drink it again (only in may or june).

DuqTroops, Feb 13, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz bottle.

Hazy, straw yellow color with a thin, fizzy head. Aroma & flavor is largely spices and pale malts..the wheat character blends pretty well with the coriander & pepper, but the spices are a bit overdone, imho.
Still a refreshing and flavorful wheat brew from Tröegs.

Bottle courtesy of froggyfrog.

hero27, Feb 12, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice hazy golden topped with a white head that gave plenty of lacing. The smell was very sulfur as is common with the yeast used in these wheat beers, but stronger in this beer than some others. The sulfur really dominated teh nose but there was a little citrus and breadyness peeking through. It taste like wheat with a pleasent placement of citrus and hops that where small but enough. It had a good mouthfeel and was easy drinking, could slip into a rotation of session, but not really session stuff itself.

Higravity, Feb 01, 2006

Appearance: Cloudy, gold ale with a thick, white bubbly head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Spicy and sweet...with hints of apple.

Taste: I am truly impressed. This beer is clean with some very spicy, sweet notes. There is a very faint apple taste with some clove on the back of the swallow.

Mouthfeel: There is a nice bite to this beer. It is quite bubbly and full.

Drinkability: I wouldn't drink more than one in a sitting, as it is fairly sweet and spicy, but definitely nice for a change of pace.

Maestro, Jan 30, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Bright hazy yellow with a minimal head and a light ring. Many columns of carbonation, very active. The smell is all bananas and sweetness, a little chalk base, very inviting without smelling bready. The taste is a creamy and crispy (odd combination) well balanced hit of bananas and tart wheat. Fine medium mouthfeel, solid body and a long, if not strong, lingering finish. This is a quality quaff. I'd use it for summer quenching or desert to accompany something light like a sponge cake.

pentathlete, Jan 26, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

This sample came courtesy of SS-05. Thanks fella's.
Nice light wheat with fruit and a yeasty spiciness aroma. This would have been fine if an additional quality hadn't presented in increasing potency over time. It began as a sourness and turned into a yeasty tone of what I'll call wet dog. It was funky and a bit nasty and such a contrast to the loveliness of the rest of the presentation. Only one other review that I read noted anything like it ("wet blanket" "earthiness") and one other noted sulphur, but I'm not sure that's it. It could be intentional and a by product of the yeast, much like a lambic, but for me it ended up being off-putting.
Cloudy gold/yellow, with a white head that laces pretty well while diminishing rather slowly. Yeast on the bottom of the bottle.
Flavors are blended pretty well with emphasis on the fruit and the soft spiciness with a touch of wheat. Fairly clean. Shorter finish and lower bitterness while colder, but both of these increased in time as the drink warmed. In fact the bitterness got fairly intense at the last sip.
Adequately soft and appropriately thin. Fine carbonation that adds a bit of a tickle.
Other than the funkiness aroma quality and the strong bite of bitterness at the finish I liked this beer quite a bit. I'm curious on how I might respond to another sample and I'd be interested in trying if offered.

garymuchow, Jan 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a creamy 1 finger head over a hazy straw colored beer. Light aromas of yeast induced-cloves and banana. Slightly tart flavor mixes with a light sweetness. Substantial pepper and clove spiciness as well. Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Tangy mouthfeel with an underlying creaminess. Slightly drying.

Taste and mouthfeel aren't sacrficed by the lower ABV at all. Decent complexity for the style. A tasty and refreshing brew great for summer or any time of year.

Shovelbum, Jan 10, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

"Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane"

It pours a pale but golden yellow, clear and briskly carbonated. A finger of puffy white head settles to islets of froth. Fine flares of lacing paint the glass.

"Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain"

The aroma wafts a tangy and barely sour draft of yeast and wheat. There's also a mild banana note along with a mild malt impression. A distant but steady spice backdrop winds about.

"Ooh dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night"

Upon tasting, there comes a light berry sweetness coupled with a compensating wheaten bitey sourness along the sides of the tongue. A lemony citrus presence is joined in the middle by a mellow clove essence. The aura of spice rounds out even more toward the close, and the finish is a flash of sweet followed by a lingering mild spice bitterness and a bready grain vestige.

Light bodied, the carbonation is a lively presence on the palate, and the wheat and spice leave a low-key glow, albeit through a general impression or relative thinness.

"Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light"

First, my apologies to Gary Wright, I couldn't resist, being a child of the Seventies and all.
While I have no doubt this beer would be damned good at any time, I have visions of a shimmering hot sunny patio and rivlets of sweat on my brow. Very refreshing and very, very drinkable, its lightness makes multiples a glad certainty. Sure, there are better beers of the ilk, but I can't imagine many being more undemanding and easy to enjoy. My wife will never pass this up on tap, and I have to say, I admire her taste.

Foxman, Jan 06, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +7%

Had this beer as part of a Troegs sampler set I bought.
Poured a cloudy straw color with loads of white foam that stayed around and left some nice lacing. Aromas of wheat, grains, yeast, and hard candy seemed to come out. An excellent taste that evolves as the beer warms. An interesting and flavorful mixture of fruity sweetness, yeast, and grain texture, coating the tongue nicely. In the back of my throat, a sour taste does develop as I approach the end of my pint, that doesn't go away. The drinkability takes a hit because I have difficult having more than a few unfiltered beers.

jaluria, Jan 04, 2006

Cloudy sun colored body. White fluffy head with decent retention but little lace. Very easy to regain by agitation.
Smells are fruits, honey and faint licorice which also makes up the taste. Aftertaste is a long lingering fruit and licorice experience which then changes to honey and berry flavors. Hops come through well at the last third of the aftertaste.
Good mouthfeel and some decent coating. Some astringent sensation.
Very drinkable brew, low on ABV and interesting enough to have more of.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Jan 01, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +7%

Twelve ounce brown bottle with no freshness dating evident

Pours hazy yellow with a fluffy collar of long-lasting foam. The bottom third of a weizen glass is virtually clear...more so than most others within this style. Nose hold much promise of clove, banana, amd other Bavarian yeasty delights. Well above average for an American wheat.

Entry is smoooth with adequate carbonation supporting the length of the tongue. Midtaste is silky wheat and much banana toward the back of the tongue. The finish leads with a short hop bite followed by a spicy finish with a mixture of cloves, nutmeg, lemon, and banana.

For an American Pale Wheat this is very well done!

IceAce, Dec 28, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Hazy cloudy pale. Classic hefeweizen scent, with noticeable citrue. Wow, this is a really tasty wheat beer. Definitely better than Sierra Nevada's, which is the last wheat beer I can remember drinking. The citrus tones are nicely balanced with the malt, making it feel rather hearty, especially for what is usually considered a light(er) beer. Tasty indeed. Too bad this only comes 3-to-a-12-pack. Absolutely worthy of its own six-pack.

chOAKbarrell, Dec 11, 2005