Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Scratch Beer 4 - 2007 - Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 4 - 2007Scratch Beer 4 - 2007

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 09-29-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

Glowing metal copper orange with a frothy head of white eggshell whip. Aromas of deep roasted biscuit malts as well as green earth hops that are bit subdued by the malts actually. Taste is hoppy and super malty with great fresh bread qualities and a bit of an earthy spiciness as well. Mouthfeel is medium to thick, but a bit cloying. Drinkability remains good. Solid all the way through, reminded me more of an aged dreadnaught than a barleywine. Would probably be much better fresher or on tap.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of warriorsoul, thanks again!

Beer pours a very dark amber color, kind of cloudy, with a faint off white head.

Aromas are very nice. I mostly notice sweetness, and hops. Lots of citrus, as well as sweet candied malts.

Taste is of dry bitterness, some slightly sweet malts, and boozy sharp alcohol. There is a slight tea like malt flavor, a touch creamy, sweet, and with a pine and earthy, yet weak hop finish. Alcohol pokes it's head up, and leaves a bit of a burn on the finish. Flavors seem a bit scattered, but still tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice ful feel, thinkness is about right, and nice subtle carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a beer that I can't quite put my thumb on. Some sips I like it... others... not so much. It's complex, but at the same time seems a bit messy. To me, it tastes more like an aged Double IPA. I can see why this one was scratched. Not bad, but needs work.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle

Had this one fresh, and the heat and bitterness were a mess, but one could see the potential underneath, waiting to come out.
well, it has emerged in all its glory. Delicious barleywine.I'll try not to think about the bottles I had fresh that I could be enjoying now.

Nearly emptied into a snifter, the beer is vibrant in the light but retains some mystery in its murky reddisn-brown depths. Head is slow to form in thin, creamy yellowish-tan fashion, but a stubborn ring and uneven cap remain until the bottom of the glass.

Opened several degrees too cold, it is sweet and simple, caramel and ample hop strength. Piney notes, suggestion of the bitterness to follow. Little alcohol noted, nothing of the harshness exhibited when fresh is here. As it warms the aroma opens up to a rich malty brew just balanced by citric and pine hops.

The bitterness when fresh has blended nicely without fading - it would be an injustice to this fine beer if they hadn't remained so prominent. The heat in my mouth is gone, and indeed only some warmth in the stomach as I drain the glass is indicative of the stength of this brew. A little vague dark fruitiness to the malt profile, plenty of caramel. The richness of the brew is something I'd expect after much more aging. Lingering sweet/bitter finish, sticky but short of cloying.

Overall quite sweet but they've retained balance without making it ridiculous. Kind of sticky, but for once I don't mind it a bit. Medium/full body, soft carbonation.

Drinkability is outstanding for the style, but let's not be silly - this is a sipper...a sipper I'd gladly have over and over again. Wait...One-time release? Good god, and now I'm out?...I may not sleep tonight.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a hazy deep brown/black cherry color with 1 finger of foamy tan head into a snifter. Good retention leaves some beautiful lacing. Smells of citrus hops, caramel and toffee, bready malts, dark fruits, spices, pine, and alcohol; if Yankee Candle made a fragrance that smelled like this, I'd let the future Mrs throw them all over the house. Tastes lightly of citrus rinds up front followed by a nice solid sweetness of caramel, toffee, and butterscotch followed by a nice meatiness of bread with a touch of spices. Finish is strong and fierce pine resins and alcohol. Medium to medium-full in body with good carbonation. Fairly smooth and sweet but packing loads of dry bitterness as well. This is what I think an awesome barleywine should be like. It's a shame I only got a 6 pack of this instead of a whole case.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle courtesy of akorsak poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark, murky amber with hints of orange. The head is small and short-lived, quickly leaving a collar and traces of lacing.

S: Smell is big and complex, with citrus hops up front giving way to a sizable caramel malt backbone. There is also a big dose of sugar and toffee in the nose as well.

T: Like the smell, citrus hops are the first thing I notice. There is an even bigger sugar presence in the taste with dark fruits as well. All of this is on top of the caramel malt backbone.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has a slight hop bitterness that tickles the tongue. A little on the thin side, but still nice and creamy.

D: Drinkability is very good on this one and I'm glad Adam gave me the opportunity to try this one. Very, very good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz received in trade with DIM.. big thanks. poured into my New Belgium snifter... Listening to John Digweed Transitions 3.

3 finger yellow/tan head dies back slowly leaving pretty sticky lacing. Brew looks thick.. dark brown with a distinct haze

Smells thick.. alot of hops.. mainly citrus with touches of floral... also more than enough caramel malts... but mainly the powerful hops.

Flavor is very smooth.. more malty than expected with still a big resinous hop palate midway through the swallow.. great caramel mixes perfectly into tongue coating oily hoppy goodness... finishes with an unexpected and pleasant yeasty fruitiness... sorta a mix between a kumquat and an overripe green grape... finish on this one is long and very nice.

Mouthfeel is thick with only enough carbonation to make me really want another sip. One of the best "easily" available Barley Wines out there... and better than many where the hype overruns its actual worth.

This is 2nd time I've had this.. the first was at our Boise BW tasting earlier this spring... I know this was one of my favorites.. but my palate was pretty shredded and I was pretty shredded by the end of the night.

Daniel is an excellent trader.. and I honestly wish I had better beers available to me here in Boise so I could tempt him more often. Huge Props to Daniel and Troeg's!!

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Big thanks to DIM for tossing this in with the Wild Devil Growler.

Pours a dark chestnut into my giant snifter with the tiniest head that disappears quickly leaving some lacing.

Smell: The best nose on a barleywine I've smelt in a long time, maybe it's the huge snifter, but I doubt it. Really Earthy, Citrus and Caramel dominate with Rum, Rasins, and Toffee.

Taste: Sweet, Fruity, Caramel, Woody(I'd swear this was oaked), a little bit of Dark Fruits, Pine, Citrus, Burnt Sugar aftertaste. Heavy and Smooth.

I want more!

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to DIM for the opportunity to try this bad boy! Pours a murky brownish, red color with tons of haze. Thin tan head. Smells of alcohol and some sweet malts. Good bite for a barleywine. Not as smooth as I would expect, but not a bad thing. Nice smooth aftertaste, though of alcohol and caramel or toffee flavored malt. Pretty drinkable for a barleywine, with a semi-slick mouthfeel.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This poured a dark brown and hint of red into my goblet glass. There's some lacing that's light brown and sticking to the walls of the glass.

The aroma is very sweet and malty with a hint of hops and citrus. There are some spices too. When I sip the beer, there's a sweet medium taste with a hint of alcohol on the finish. The carbonation is present but not overpowering. The flavoring is hoppy with a sweet malt backbone. It tasted bready, fruity (dark fruits) and some berries and caramel.

This is an outstanding barleywine - hopefully they will bottle this regularly.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this beer poured a cloudy brown with no head. there is a tan film over the top of the glass that looks like oil.

the smell is citrus hops, malty sweet, clove, spices.

the taste starts sweet and finishes hoppy with a very nice balance and noticable carbonation and alcohol.

the mouthfeel is chewy and oily.

i really enjoyed this barleywine and i'm glad i have a couple more of them.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with mymrnngjckt, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this beer, drank during the Hornets game tonight after a lot of driving today, poured into my Chimay goblet

A-Dark red that is almost light brown, huge 1 3/4 inch inch yellowish off white head that stuck around for a long time, great retention, nice lacing at the top of my glass

S-Piney hoppiness was pretty dominant, also a ton of sweet malt, especially toffee and caramel, some bread too, also dark fruits including plums and raisins, floral accents, and a hint of berries

T-Wow was this hoppy and it did not fade up until the last sip, wish more barleywines were like this, more of a caramel malt taste than anything else in the middle, more pine and resin in the finish, did not change much as it warmed and luckily did not get any sweeter like I was worried about before, nicely balanced and left a nice dry taste consistently

M-Dry and bitter mouthfeel, especially in the finish, aggressive sensation on the tongue, taste lasted a long time, nice level of carbonation, medium body

D-The alcohol is present and could be hidden better, fairly smooth for a barleywine though, could have probably drank another bottle

By far the best of the scratch beers I have tasted, also one of the hoppier barleywines I had, this could have easily passed as an IPA if it was not for its darker color, would drink again, thought I heard somewhere that the ABV was 10.2 % but then again I could be wrong, wish Troegs decided to make this a standard beer, recommended

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Pours a ruddy, reddish brown hue with a small, off white head.

S- Smells incredibly malty and sweet with caramel and raisins coming to the forefront. Definitely a piney hop character.

T- Suprisingly balanced and smooth. Starts off with raisins, caramel, moves to a sort of cassis flavor followed by a small amount of hops which fades to a lingering maltiness on the tongue.

M- Fairly viscous with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Based on the old reviews i've read, the hops have cooled down a lot on this one. It's drinking really nice right now. I might be inclined to drink it now for those who still have some! I'd be interested to see how the balance is in another 6 months. Too bad this isn't more available or I would seek out another bottle. Thanks go out to risser for this one.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks goes out to davide169 for this brew.

Pours a very nice hazy amber color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy tan head, lots of nice sticky lacing follows. The nose is malty, a nice touch of dark fruits, and some caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slightly fruit, and some caramel. Medium body, a different ABW, not hoppy at all, very tasty. The alcohol is hidden very well. Very drinkable, a joy to drink.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

I was lucky enough to get the chance to try this one last night. Broke it apart from my complete set, because I really just wanted to see how it was holding up, and have been hearing this is now drinking wonderfully. Needless to say that was all I needed to here, and away I went.

Appearance - The pour was very nice, with a deep rich brown tinted amber taking the lead on this one and really putting on a show. Lots of cloudiness and haze, so thick making it almost opaque, but enough light was getting through to showcase the honey brown color of it. A nice two finger high head of white foam formed on the top, and gradually settled down into a thin layer that coated the top of the liquid for the remainder of the session. Very nice residual side glass presentation, overall this was looking like it was going to be a beast.

Smell - The aroma was much more hoppy then I was expecting, but definitely well enough balanced to stay within the style. Rich smells of deep citrus hops, which were coated in sugary malts just whiffed off the top of this one. Some candy like sugar smell way in the back, and earthy tones of grasses and grains. Very complex and sweet. As it warmed, some touches of maple syrup like sweetness were coming out, as was the slightest hint of almost what seemed like a color smell.

Taste - The flavor was really top notch, especially for such a young barley wine. Rich, deep, complex flavor profile that came off like I had been cellaring it for a few years. I was utterly shocked by how good this one was. Extremely well balanced, the first notes to hit were a mellowed and subdued citrus hoppiness. Shadows of how hoppy it must have been at first, this was now just aged perfectly. Lots of sweet hints rolling around throughout it, really showing off how good it could be now. Nice grainy malts making up the base of it, and just this nice sweet fruity vibe running thought-out. As it warmed hints of pears, and apples now becoming intermingled with a candy like sweetness and a really nice touch of warming alcohol. This was what a barley wine should taste like. Nice clean finish, with a touch of bitterness and just enough drying to bring you back for another round.

Mouthfeel - A very nice medium, bordering on full-bodied ale here. The carbonation was decent, but it did tend to lend itself to the syrup like side of things. Really quite nice though with never a thin moment to it.

Drinkability - Outstanding on this one. This was dangerously good. It was so ridiculous smooth that it was impossible not to take bigger and bigger sips as the night went on. I would have loved to have had another one of them right after I finished.

Overall, this was absolutely excellent and easily one of the best, sweeter barley wines I have had. I would have no issues at all recommending this one to anybody who is a fan of the style. By far my favorite of the scratch series to date, I would have to tell them to make this one again.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy brown with very little head.

S: Malty and caramel with a slight citrus/hop note.

T: Malty initially with a bitter hoppy finish. The alcohol is noticeable, but not detrimental. Great balance in this concoction.

M: Full bodied and supportive.

D: Excellent balance and an alcohol tinge that isn't overpowering make this a great drinking barleywine.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A murky dark brown body pours thick out of the bottle settling into the glass. A two finger spice toned deep brown head is created. Nose is a nice musky mix of sweet hops and creamy qhelonic spices that include molases, cinnamon, pepper and pine wood. A dark spicey richness floods the taste buds with first sip. Unique and complex feel with burnt malt is there but not in a bad way. A lengthy bitter feel is wraped in dark fruit notes and hints of dark chocolate. Spiceness of this beer really swarms the taste buds but it is nicely balanced. Very biscuity also. Big and hearty beer as well as the mouthfeel it creates. Drinkability is slightly edgey due to the spiceyness.

Big thanks to fly for sharing this great beer! Nicely hopped aroma, but still balanced enough to distinguish itself from something like a DIPA. Rich almost spicy cinnamony like characteristic in the flavor, and quite well balanced I thought. Starts hoppier in the mouth, and finishes with a nice subtle dark sweetness. I got no heat from the alcohol, so fly's closet must be the perfect aging machine for this delicious beast. Definitely a barleywine worth seeking out.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a murky brown amber type color with spots of lacing and an off-white near tan head. Smell is large. Alcohol present throughout along with big bold hops and malts. Piney, sticky, sappy hops. Grapefruit rind. Brown sugar and caramel. Bready and doughy. Raisins, plum, dark fruit. Black cherry. Full bodied, oily and thick. Slight bitterness and dryness. Dangerously drinkable. My second bottle. A little more tamed in the hop department with citrus departing and malts beginning to take control, though not quite yet! I wish I had a couple more for later.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks Akorsak.

So, in one of the previous BA magazines there was an article about if you have a previous negative opinion on a beer style, try it again several times and reevaluate it. So here it goes. Barleywines have been my least favorite beer style for quite a time so here I am, revisiting the style. Aroma is big on fruits, strawberry and raspberry. My wife said it smelled like strawberry shortcake. I tend to agree. Taste is probably the best tasting barleywine I've ever had. Normally I find them sicklying sweet. This one is dry, fruity and has a pretty big hop presence in the finish. Pretty tasty stuff. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with a dry finish. For the style, I find it exceptionally drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

12oz single, No BS the 3rd the bif

consumed during Giants-Packers (2nd quarter)

appearance: poured into a bells tulip glass not knowing at the time if this was the oatmeal stout or the barleywine of the scratch series...as it turns out the murky mahogany-garnet body was that of a barleywine. a creamy beige cap tops this one off. lovely

smell: nice and floral, raspberry, plum and other dark fruits, caramel malts, raisins and figs...not too potent but very nice

taste: this barleywine drinks pretty easy...the hops are fresh and floral with extremely minimal bitterness compared to others of the style, smooth caramel malts, raisins, brown sugar, plum and other dark fruit. Solid but tame

mouthfeel: smooth and creamy

drinkability: very nice for the style

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Received this brew from phnphilly in a trade. Brew #4 in my quest to drink the first five Tröegs Scratch beers. Drank from my Black Butte Porter pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark and hazy brown/red/orange/yellow color with a nice one finger dirty white head. The head recedes fairly slowly leaving a spotty cap and fairly thick collar. Lots of thick, luxurious lacing is left behind for my eye to enjoy.
Smell- Oh wow this is fantastic. By far the freshest fruity Barleywine I’ve ever taken a whiff of. Absolutely busting from the seams with nicest strawberry nose you could possibly imagine. Pineapple, grapefruit and mango make an appearance adding even more fruit deliciousness. A small amount of sweet toffee malt and bubblegum hide in the shadows waiting to be tasted.
Taste- Ridiculously balanced from the start with a very sweet buttery caramel/toffee kick. The malt is huge and right on for a Barleywine. The hops are truly the best part of this brew though. Like the nose it’s really fruity and really American. Raisins and figs add a dark, rich fruitiness while orange and grapefruit contribute the awesome citrus. Finishes with an oak like aftertaste and more raisins.
Mouthfeel- Thick and rich with a oily feel and nice vibrant carbonation.
Drinkability- This is a very nice Barleywine that I really enjoyed. I read one of the reviews and he said that it reminded him of Oaked Arrogant Bastard and I think that is a very fair assessment. It seems more like a Strong Ale/IPA with a bit more malt to hold it all up. Whatever it is, it’s good and big thanks to phnphilly!

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a deep murky amber hue with a half finger foamy tan head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a sweet caramel, dark fruit and a peppery hop.

The taste was superbly complex and consisted of a sweet malt, raisins, oranges and figs. There was a punchy hop spice toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was full and chewy.

Overall an excellent barleywine and a unique drinking experience. Thanks to DIM for this gem.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Only about 3 left of a case of this one so I figured I better review it soon.

Pours a cloudy dark brown slightly amber color. A nice head cascades up to a nice 1-2 inch head that then slowly drops to a thin cap. Some lacing slides quickly back to the surface of the beer.

First smell was a smack of caramel malt that is quickly followed by some grapefruit hops. The hops smell slides to piney as you breath in more.

Taste matches the smell nicely and manages to have a nice balance of malt and hop. Many barleywines come off as way to sweet to me but this is one of the few that achieves some balance. Don't get me wrong, the malt is still the primary flavor.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy. As expected another top notch beer by the Troegs brothers. The scratch series has been awesome and I was glad to hear that it is going to continue. I look forward to trying every one of them. Too bad for you if you didn't get some of this very limited release. If you haven't had it yet, I doubt that you will be able to get it now.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Obtained in trade from WeisGuy.

This beer has the looks, a slight chill haze and a quite nice light brown colored head with remarkable staying power.

Sweet and quite heavy with the C type hops. Big citrus aroma giant grapefruit and strong orange and lemon scents. Bit of eucalyptus and licorice in this. Lastly faint melon and a fairly strong black pepper on the alcohol fumes.

Taste starts out a little sweet with a strong grapefruit and oak taste. Unexpected butter flavor mixes with toffee candy taste. Tasty and a near flavor clone of Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

Mouthfeel is good and comparable with a milkshake.

Nice drinkable beer that I would describe as a thicker version of Oaked Arrogant Bastard. A beer I will try again if I ever see another bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to my boy younger35 for this special brew.

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a rich and dark ruby color with a full one finger khaki colored head that dies down to a thin layer of different sized bubbles. Solid stickiness all over the sides of the glass. First whiff is fresh pine and evergreen with an earthy hop aroma underneath. Subtle dark fruits in the nose as well, but overall, a nice hoppy smell for a barleywine. Big licorice flavor up front with a pine background. A smokey citrus taste with a caramel malt sweetness find its way on the tongue too. Very complex blend between hops and malt with this one, I like it. Not the mouthfeel I had expected. A sharp carbonation with a rough texture, not what I was hoping for. Some alcohol is present, but does not distract from the overall enjoyment. Definitely one of the best barleywines I've had. Troeg's needs to make this a regular.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast