2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tröegs Sunshine Pils - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Sunshine PilsTröegs Sunshine Pils

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,107 | Reviews: 550 | Show All Ratings:
sellmeagod

1.5/5  rDev -60%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What a disappointment. But, maybe, not really - it is a summer seasonal. And these tend to be known for weak, light flavorings with some false scents and sense of beach.

Atrociously light bodied and a forced smooth drinking leaves me wanting to take no more sips. A pilsner even weaker by trying to pretend to have some honey sweetness. At 5.3 abv, this is not worth it. Avoid.

09-12-2010 23:53:34 | More by sellmeagod
Knapp85

1.83/5  rDev -51.2%

If you look over any other reviews I've done you'll see I really don;t like Pilsners. This brew falls into that same category. I really found this beer to be incredibly light on flavor and mouthfeel. The only flavor I got was the gross fresh cut grass flavor that I really can't stand. For me this beer is not good. If you're into these styles you'd more than likely enjoy this one as well.

03-27-2011 23:44:53 | More by Knapp85
Pleepleus

Bought a 6 pack of this the day the "Season" started at Seiberts in Yonkers. Unfortunately for me I was trying to catch the end of the Nugget Nectar season and buy all she had left, which was none. So I got this instead and the disapointment did not stop there.

Poured from bottle to pint glass and it looked like a hazy piss with minimal 1/8 inch of foam head, on par with Coors Light. The smell was like lawn clippings that I forgot to dump out of the lawnmower's catcher 2 weeks ago. Bitter, metalic taste that is quite nasty. Long bitter aftertaste on this, not like any Pilsner I have had, in a bad way. Would not buy again, and will not drink the rest of these since I am forcing the end of this Pint down.

05-03-2008 02:30:02 | More by Pleepleus
jbertsch

2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

2 thumbs down. I love a good pilsner and I saw this one was rated fairly high for the style. So I was excited to try it…

Fairly transparent straw color. Head dissipates to a faint film. No big deal there.

Light pilsner malt with faint esters of lemon and grass make up the aroma.

Its taste is snappy. Light grain gives way to fake corn-like flavor reminiscent of Becks or BMC. I notice a little saaz hops making an appearance near the end but that quickly gives way to some unwanted bitterness that backfires from the grass notes. The core flavor profile is very short.

Appropriately crisp mouthfeel. Though a little too fizzy.

Light in body, even for a pilsner. Big let down with some off-putting sour bitterness that shouldn’t be there for this style.

There are much better pilsners out there.

08-16-2011 03:17:08 | More by jbertsch
oelergud

2.3/5  rDev -38.7%

Typical clear and light golden lager body. Rocky but low white head, lace and retention is ok. Moderate carbonation.
Not a whole lot of smell. Some hop notes and very faint licorice root.
Taste is similar to the taste just add some citric twag that just barely crosses the border into the land of astringency. Aftertaste is Hoppy and last for a moderate lenght. Ok balanced.
Thin and lean as a lager should be, not a repeat for me.

-Oelergud

07-18-2005 22:02:22 | More by oelergud
Carlton1964

2.33/5  rDev -37.9%

If this is a sunshine brew...glad I'm in Buffalo where the sun don't shine a lot. I won't be tempt to drink this swill. Nice looking bottle...other than that not a lot nice to say. Skunky feel in mouth, lacks body, fair finger of head. I think some workers from the Blatz Brewery are brew masters at Troegs.

10-09-2011 00:35:04 | More by Carlton1964
iNHaze

2.35/5  rDev -37.3%

12oz. bottle into a wine glass

Beer pours a lemon-juice yellow with good clarity and a light head which dissipates quickly into a very light lacing.

Smells very faintly of bitter hops and damp sponge. Not quite skunky but maybe an odor of wild yeast?

First taste is a light hop citrus which fades almost immediately into bitter wateriness lacking other flavor entirely.

Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly at first and then straight to watery and lacking identifiable character.

Overall, I'm not impressed. I noted that based on some other reviews I've read I may have had a bad bottle, but the beer appeared to be fine and didn't taste skunked. Pilseners are supposed to be richly hopped and flavorful...I don't think Troegs is doing the style justice if my sample was an accurate one.

05-02-2009 22:46:38 | More by iNHaze
jaluria

Connecticut

2.4/5  rDev -36%

Poured a light, golden color with a nice fluffy, egg shell colored head and heavy carbonation. Just a touch of lacing was left behind. Aromas of pine and hops seemed to dominate. The taste was quite bland without any real qualities. I had a difficult time finishing my pint; I really didn't want any of it after just a few sips. Lacking in most characteristics that I expect in a pilsener. Overly dry without any kind of complexity or intermixing of malt/hop flavors. Just one unified, boiled down flavor. A bit waxy in mouth as well, making it difficult to enjoy. I think the ideas going into this beer were fine evidenced by the inclusion of German hops and the different kinds of malt used, but the finished product left me wanting a Victory Prima Pils or an Eggenberg. Not a very good beer and I will not be having this again.

07-11-2006 18:56:09 | More by jaluria
mrasskicktastic

2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

A - Clear pale yellow with two fingers of head that leave frothy rings of lace on the sides of the glass. The head has impressive retention fueled by intense carbonation. I don't like the color, but I can't hold it against them

S - Grass mostly, a touch of pineapple and light-bodied malt. A bit of latent chemicals, like a checimal storeroom might smell, very subtle though. It isn't terrible.

T - Grasses and light malt. A bit of chemical taste too. There is a bitter aftertaste. The flavor is very dry.

M - Thin, not really refreshing, tad abrasive.

D - A good pilsner if you are looking for something best described as a step above the average macro. Otherwise, there are better options. It is pretty easy to drink, despite being very dry all around. It is certainly sessionable and good for foods.

04-11-2006 23:06:58 | More by mrasskicktastic
emsroth

2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

12 oz

App: Pale gold with a white head.

Smell: Sweet malt and sour yeast/hops. Different than any pils I've had.

Taste: Biting attack of hops and carbonation on the first sip. Next comes a bit husky malt. Ends with a super dry malt/bitter hop combo. Light in the malt department. Tastes almost exclusively like water and hops with a minimal malt profile. It tries to fight though but gets crushed by the hops throughout. As it warms the hop profile settles and a sweetness comes through. Overall, the taste is lacking and leaves me wanting something more. I think that more is malt.

Crisp, clean pils mouthfeel, but with a slight film that adds to the bitter aftertaste. The bitterness covers the whole tongue which I find very unpleasant. Very light, almost like water.

I love pilseners, and I want to want to have another, but it's just not the case.

Note: Make sure to let this one warm some before you drink. The flavors balance as it warms.

04-16-2009 16:21:01 | More by emsroth
mithunc

District of Columbia

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from bottle. Hopefully I didn't get a bad batch, because this beer was underwhelming. I suppose it matches the style, and it's a good beer for a hot day. But the crispness of the hops was a bit too much for me, and I barely got the other taste hints. What I did get was a little bit of citrus, but it wasn't very helpful to the taste. So basically a sharp, bitter beer, but not in a good way, and I found it too tasteless. I could certainly find better in this style for the price.

06-17-2010 00:28:36 | More by mithunc
MattsLilBeerLuvr

Delaware

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

Served in a pint glass. Poured a bright, golden yellow, crystal clear. Veeeery little head, if any at all. Smells pilsener-esque, but no distinct fruit or hop aroma. Light mouthfeel... Super light mouthfeel actually. Watery, reeeally watery. A little bitterness in the finish, but no real flavor... maybe some barely there hops. Refreshing, but doesn't taste like anything. Bummer.

05-12-2009 02:10:42 | More by MattsLilBeerLuvr
mrgrinch

2.7/5  rDev -28%

There are five categories to evaluating a beer with your review:

Appearance - Beautiful golden color. Robust carbonation. Very clear and inviting.

Smell - Nothing about the smell jumped out at me. Could be the temperature at which it was served on tap. Smelled like beer but not overpowering.

Taste - Tasted like grain and was very clean. There was a bit of lingering bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel - This beer really felt thin, almost too thin. Nothing you could really sink your teeth into.

Drinkability - German Pilsner is one of my favorite styles of beer. This one has a beautiful look to it, but pretty much the other aspect of it left me wanting. Not a bad beer and certainly drinkable, but not earth-moving for me.

08-01-2010 23:11:20 | More by mrgrinch
veggiemafia

2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Wow....so, no Sunshine Pils for me this summer.

Very, very, extremely pale. The color of an especially light, watery looking Pinot Grigiot. Head started big and fluffy, and dissolved to islands within a few minutes.

Grassy, herbal noble hop aroma with some malty balance, but overall not very impressive, kind of macro smelling.

Taste is hoppy and clean, like the bottle says, and there are some fruity things from the malt, but really it's just very bland.

Mouthfeel is really light, and kind of slick.

Really nothing going on here that makes me want another.

05-19-2006 03:48:00 | More by veggiemafia
klink40

2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Troegs is a top tier micro-brewery and I enjoy almost all of there beers this is probably the only one out of 7 of their beers that I'd had that I wouldn't highly recommend.

A-Gold, average frothy head
S-grass, wheat
T-grassy, then metalic(yes metalic), then very slight hops
M-smooth on the palate and good fermentation
D-not my favorite. Not really sure when I'd recommend this beer. I'd opt for a Heineken over this but #1 choice for easy drinking summer beer is Harpoon Summer (Kolsch)

Cheers!

05-14-2010 20:36:39 | More by klink40
Jesse13713

2.78/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance - A slightly cloudy, yet transparent, yellow. A very mellow-yellow look to it; not golden straw or school bus yellow. Less than a finger of head that is quick to make itself disappear.

Smell - Slight bitters and hops. Quite watery smelling. Smells dry and natural.

Taste - Crisp and slightly hoppy. Slightly lager-like in its taste. Slightly malty and very watery.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Very refreshing and easily drinkable. Sort of a plain pilsner. Good hop quality but just slightly bland for my tastes. It was a good beer, but there many other better Pilsners in my opinion.

03-15-2011 04:31:14 | More by Jesse13713
mjc410

Vermont

2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

The pour into my Prima Pils glass raises a head like whipped egg whites one finger high. It doesn't keep its height for long, though. The lacing is sparse but sticky. The body is a very pale gold, which sits at the edge of transparency. The nose is like cereal, with just a bit of acidity. No hoppiness makes its way through. The taste has a strong sulphery earthiness, with a bit of acidity to the bready maltiness. The hops are a buit metallic, but not very potent. It is balanced, though. The mouth is very thin, perhaps too much so even for this style. Overall, less than what I expected from Tröegs, but still easily drinkable and refreshing.

05-03-2007 00:41:41 | More by mjc410
k7sw

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -24%

A- Hazy pale yellow. Quickly receding 1 finger head that left some lacing on the glass.
S- Faint floral and lemon smell.
T- Slight zing of citrus, not much bitterness at first but it leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste after a few sips.
M- Smooth and bubbly.
D- Goes down very smooth. Good one for the beach or summer days.
O- Wasn't impressed. Haven't tasted many pils but this seemed a little light for me.

08-11-2011 01:15:47 | More by k7sw
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours almost clear with a slight yellowish tint. The color is not impressive at all, but the bubbly well-retained head makes up for it a bit.
The smell is a slight hop, yeast aroma. It's a bit musty. Nothing much else. It lacks the grainy aroma that this style should have.
The taste and mouthfeel are heavier than the appearance and the smell. Almost too heavy for the refreshing summer drink that this should be. It is a bit watery, but the hops and yeast, which I did not find particularly well-balanced, make up for the wateriness.
The mouthfeel was not awful, but it was not as refreshing and clean as the style should be.
It's not complex enough to be anything but a pils, but is too heavy in the mouth to be refreshing like a pils should be. The aftertaste lingers for awhile, but not in any refreshing way.
While it is not terrible, there are much better examples of the style for the same price or less.

05-06-2006 22:49:42 | More by jwc215
cbl2

No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a ridculously light pale gold in color. Fainter than Ginger Ale in its complexion.

Aroma:

Crisp clean hoppy profile with a decent malt backbone.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Somehow they manage to pack some flavor into this even with the pale color. A mild hop presence that continues throughout to a dry bitter finish is coupled with a sipid malt underbelly.

07-11-2006 19:45:33 | More by cbl2
cochell

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Acuired as a trade extra. Liked it for the style. Just finnished the lawn and couldn't think of a better beer for 90 degree weather. I hate to say this but there are many other beers out there which could perform the same or better. This I would keep on hand for lake or river days.

05-14-2010 22:13:50 | More by cochell
bubseymour

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

I love German and Czech Pilsners, one of my favorite styles of beer. This one is way too bitter, minimal notice of flavoring in the noble hops and has a long lasting aftertaste of negative flavors. Also has some hints of barley and wheat flavorings similar to Adjuncts. In fact there are probably 10+ macro pilsner/lagers that I would rather drink than this offbalanced mess of a beer. Sorry to be so harsh to Troegs (which I really like some of their other options) but I need shoot straight from the hip and think they need to go back and rework there attempt at a Pilsner.

04-05-2011 23:57:31 | More by bubseymour
sinistrsam

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

Huh. I've really tried to get into Troegs. I really have. But the same thing that typically happens when I try a Troegs brew happened here yet agian. Poured a watery, pale yellow with a small head which left little lacing. The aroma did have that grassyu hoppiness, but almost a skunky sweetness I wasn't all about. Yes, there is a fine line between a good pils and something resembling Coors but this was more of the latter. The taste had all this but also had mild malts, some sweetness, but I can't tell if it was fruit or plain sugars. Alcohol as well. Very watery mouthfeel, bild bitterness but once again that too-sweet maltiness was way out of place for a Pils. Was it drinkable? Depends on your aim. Wanna get stinko? Rock this out. Want a good example of a Pils? Look elsewhere.

05-18-2006 21:19:57 | More by sinistrsam
geexploitation

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a very light gold, with yellow highlights and a slight dusting of pearly white head. The aroma is a bit lemony and sandy, with little in the way of malt balance. On the palate, a touch of astringency and citrus notes that are very out of place in a pils. Little of the expected zesty, earthy hop aroma. This beer isn't really made to style. It's not bad, just middling, but could be a lot better with some more orthodoxy.

07-17-2007 02:11:07 | More by geexploitation
Montrose79

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from bottle into tulip

A- clear gold. Decent head that recedes with some lacing

S- citrus, a little skunky

T- citrus, pils malt, clean, crisp

M- thin, clean

O- not my favorite style of beer but would be refreshing after working on a hot day. Good summer brew

05-08-2011 01:09:35 | More by Montrose79