Tröegs Sunshine Pils - Tröegs Brewing Company

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2002

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What a disappointment. But, maybe, not really - it is a summer seasonal. And these tend to be known for weak, light flavorings with some false scents and sense of beach.

Atrociously light bodied and a forced smooth drinking leaves me wanting to take no more sips. A pilsner even weaker by trying to pretend to have some honey sweetness. At 5.3 abv, this is not worth it. Avoid.

1.85/5  rDev -50.4%

If you look over any other reviews I've done you'll see I really don;t like Pilsners. This brew falls into that same category. I really found this beer to be incredibly light on flavor and mouthfeel. The only flavor I got was the gross fresh cut grass flavor that I really can't stand. For me this beer is not good. If you're into these styles you'd more than likely enjoy this one as well.

Bought a 6 pack of this the day the "Season" started at Seiberts in Yonkers. Unfortunately for me I was trying to catch the end of the Nugget Nectar season and buy all she had left, which was none. So I got this instead and the disapointment did not stop there.

Poured from bottle to pint glass and it looked like a hazy piss with minimal 1/8 inch of foam head, on par with Coors Light. The smell was like lawn clippings that I forgot to dump out of the lawnmower's catcher 2 weeks ago. Bitter, metalic taste that is quite nasty. Long bitter aftertaste on this, not like any Pilsner I have had, in a bad way. Would not buy again, and will not drink the rest of these since I am forcing the end of this Pint down.

2.12/5  rDev -43.2%

2 thumbs down. I love a good pilsner and I saw this one was rated fairly high for the style. So I was excited to try it…

Fairly transparent straw color. Head dissipates to a faint film. No big deal there.

Light pilsner malt with faint esters of lemon and grass make up the aroma.

Its taste is snappy. Light grain gives way to fake corn-like flavor reminiscent of Becks or BMC. I notice a little saaz hops making an appearance near the end but that quickly gives way to some unwanted bitterness that backfires from the grass notes. The core flavor profile is very short.

Appropriately crisp mouthfeel. Though a little too fizzy.

Light in body, even for a pilsner. Big let down with some off-putting sour bitterness that shouldn’t be there for this style.

There are much better pilsners out there.

2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

2.33/5  rDev -37.5%

Typical clear and light golden lager body. Rocky but low white head, lace and retention is ok. Moderate carbonation.
Not a whole lot of smell. Some hop notes and very faint licorice root.
Taste is similar to the taste just add some citric twag that just barely crosses the border into the land of astringency. Aftertaste is Hoppy and last for a moderate lenght. Ok balanced.
Thin and lean as a lager should be, not a repeat for me.

-Oelergud

2.38/5  rDev -36.2%

If this is a sunshine brew...glad I'm in Buffalo where the sun don't shine a lot. I won't be tempt to drink this swill. Nice looking bottle...other than that not a lot nice to say. Skunky feel in mouth, lacks body, fair finger of head. I think some workers from the Blatz Brewery are brew masters at Troegs.

2.38/5  rDev -36.2%

12oz. bottle into a wine glass

Beer pours a lemon-juice yellow with good clarity and a light head which dissipates quickly into a very light lacing.

Smells very faintly of bitter hops and damp sponge. Not quite skunky but maybe an odor of wild yeast?

First taste is a light hop citrus which fades almost immediately into bitter wateriness lacking other flavor entirely.

Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly at first and then straight to watery and lacking identifiable character.

Overall, I'm not impressed. I noted that based on some other reviews I've read I may have had a bad bottle, but the beer appeared to be fine and didn't taste skunked. Pilseners are supposed to be richly hopped and flavorful...I don't think Troegs is doing the style justice if my sample was an accurate one.

2.46/5  rDev -34%

Poured a light, golden color with a nice fluffy, egg shell colored head and heavy carbonation. Just a touch of lacing was left behind. Aromas of pine and hops seemed to dominate. The taste was quite bland without any real qualities. I had a difficult time finishing my pint; I really didn't want any of it after just a few sips. Lacking in most characteristics that I expect in a pilsener. Overly dry without any kind of complexity or intermixing of malt/hop flavors. Just one unified, boiled down flavor. A bit waxy in mouth as well, making it difficult to enjoy. I think the ideas going into this beer were fine evidenced by the inclusion of German hops and the different kinds of malt used, but the finished product left me wanting a Victory Prima Pils or an Eggenberg. Not a very good beer and I will not be having this again.

2.49/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Clear pale yellow with two fingers of head that leave frothy rings of lace on the sides of the glass. The head has impressive retention fueled by intense carbonation. I don't like the color, but I can't hold it against them

S - Grass mostly, a touch of pineapple and light-bodied malt. A bit of latent chemicals, like a checimal storeroom might smell, very subtle though. It isn't terrible.

T - Grasses and light malt. A bit of chemical taste too. There is a bitter aftertaste. The flavor is very dry.

M - Thin, not really refreshing, tad abrasive.

D - A good pilsner if you are looking for something best described as a step above the average macro. Otherwise, there are better options. It is pretty easy to drink, despite being very dry all around. It is certainly sessionable and good for foods.

Tröegs Sunshine Pils from Tröegs Brewing Company