Tröegs Sunshine Pils - Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2002)
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this on tap at the brewery when I was at school. Troegs finally found its way to my pocket of NJ, so I felt compelled to buy a six pack - though I felt like a Troegs nerd, I had my shirt on at the time. I wasn't impressed when I had it at the brewery, but decided to give it a second chance, glad I did.

A: Poured a light, lemon-tone. Minimal head, small, small bubbles -- dissipated quickly, but leaves a miniscule frothy, soapy looking layer. Clear through and through, like looking at the world through yellow-rose colored glasses.

S: Amstel Light with hops.

T: Good, it tastes like a Pilsener, so it has the eerily familiar taste of most beers you encounter on the mass market -- but it does include a hop bite, a fun little sting that fades into a bit of lingering bitterness after the swallow. I like.

M: Light, a bit watery, with that polite sting I mentioned above, maybe more of a tingle.

D: Oh yeah, it's drinkable I'm out on my deck, under a shade tree, it's hot, this beer is cold and crisp and oh, my, my refreshing.

Glad I gave it a second chance.

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Purchased a six pack of 12 oz bottles from Martin's liquors in Mount Laurel Nj

A. clear and very light

S. fruity with a very slight floral smell

T. medium dry with a light malt taste followed by a light to moderate hop taste at the finish

M. smoothe and light

D. Very drinkable

This is one of the best Pilsener style beers I have ever tasted. This has become my warm weather favorite for all occaisions.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A tumbler glass served cold at the Warwick Hotel in Hummelstown, PA.

A: I forgot how pale the pils is. It is a carbon copy, appearance-wise, of a Bud or Miller. The pale straw color does not obscure the body though and, other than bubbles, there are no imperfections or sediment.

S: The nose is sharp, cut nicely by a strong earthy hop aroma that combines the herbal and grass elements. Pale malts also stand by, adding a grainy effect.

T: The taste is front-loaded with noble hops. The result is a bitter taste that has grassy herbs and touches of lemon peel. The bitterness is quickly washed away by the carbonation, leaving the grains, pale and bready, to linger on the palate.

M: The mouthfeel is not overwhelming. The hops are present but not concentrated, reducing the bitterness angle.

D: Very drinkable, a good lawnmower beer to say the least. This is not my first go-to in the Tröegs family but it would work in a pinch.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

A: A very pale yellow, even moreso than I might have expected. No head, rather just a trim of lace. Kind of disappointing, overall.

S: Light, some gentle hoppiness, citrus notes, a little grassy and a little grainy.

T: A little bit of a bite of citrus, which is a rather suitable to the style. A little splash of bitterness on the finish. Perhaps a little bit soapy, but strangely not a negative thing.

M + D: Carbonation is perhaps pushing aggressive in some ways... strange that it didn't leave a head with this. Finishes semi-dry, leaving a bittering aftertaste. I prefer the flavour of this as it warms, which would actually make it more of an ideal summer drink, with the heat outside warming it up quite quickly. A reasonable crack at the style from Tröegs... perhaps not among the favourites, but something I'd enjoy again.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Decided to give back to my state's local craft brewers. Picked up a sixer of this bad boy on the way home from the drones I work for.

Pours a crisp, bright yellow, and almost memorable pour. Reminds me of something cheap and played out already. Yet as we continue.

Smell really does bring a host of caramal malts and somewhat appearence of grains. A tad of spice and something quite overtaking. Possibly the hops. Still I wonder.

Mouthful is something to be envied by brewers across this great state. Great balance of carbnation and overall great taste. The notable hops are the first thing I noticed and still notice as I drink. Leaves a not too threatening aftertaste. I love the fact of how the lemon zest and somewhat sweet malts balance each other out for something great.

Drinkablity is something I did enjoy with this beer. First off, your giving your taste buds a jump start for the session and it doesn't leave a harsh undertone on the old belly, nor should it.

Final Thoughts: One beer a individual should add to his or her collection. This beer did give me a shock since at first sight I figured it was going to actually be somewhat of a disappointment. I learned not to judge a beer by its look and never shall I again make this mistake. Drink one for me!

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Pale straw color, rough pour barely brings a one-finger foam that quickly settles to a thing bubbly covering that doesn't lace much at all.

Not too much smell. Sweet and kinda funky grain smell, white bread, a bit dank.

A bit more flavor than I expected from the smell of things here. Honey and bready light malts balanced by some grassy and minerally hops.

Smooth, almost creamy, but the carbonation does sting a bit, light-moderate body. Drinkable, but slightly subdued American Pils.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from my tap at home into a pilsener glass.

A: Poured a light golden straw color with a thin white head. The head disappears fairly quickly and leaves decent glass lacing.

S: Light fruity lemony smell with hints of grass and a nice saaz hop smell.

T: Citrus with lemon and grains with a nice mellow hoppy bitterness. I detect other light fruits flavors with the crisp hops bitterness lingering on. A tad on the thin side to compete with the other mega pils guys.

M: Light to medium mouthfeel that has creamy tones to it. Bitterness lingers on the tongue as a good pils should.

D: High, a very sessionable beer that should be drank in the summer. You can drink these all night.

Overall a solid pils from Troegs, but not outstanding. I perefer the hoppier pils produced by Victory and Sly Fox, but this one comes in third. It just does not carry the same amount of hops as the others do, even though the label calls it "hoppy". Still, a solid beer.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a bright golden color with a 2 finger cotton-like head. Top ring of lacing sticks very well, with the rest of the glass being spotty. Great clarity.

Smells of lemon, citrus hop, and the traditional metallic-like lager aroma. Nice aroma, especially compared to other beers of the same style I've had.

Taste is spicy and citrus at the same time which plays a nice game on the tongue as flavors come and go. Slight sweetness is present balancing the brew. Finishes slightly dry, bitterness is excellent. I get a strong metallic flavor towards the end which is a little unpleasant but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice medium to full body, almost velvet like in the mouth. I noticed that as the beer warms, so does the mouthfeel which is very interesting

Overall, a nice take on the style. I keep trying more pilsners and always seem slightly let down in the end. I'm begining to think I just don't prefer the sytle. Definately one of the better pilsners I've ever had and you can't go wrong with anything from Troegs. Cheers!!

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Very bright golden yellow color. Had a small amount of foam after a hard pour. Minimal lacing.

S: Small smell of grass, very faint. Also some lemon hints as well.

T: Toasty malt flavor, with some hints of citrus (lemon I presume). Very crisp on the palate.

M: Good mouthfeel, crisp, clean, no bitter after taste.

D: A good summer beer. I prefer it more on the colder side.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Straw-colored and perfectly clear. The head starts strong but dissipates somewhat quickly.

Smell: Floral hops, citrus, subtle grass/earth, some bready malts. Clean and fresh.

Taste: Dry biscuity malts are at the forefront here with grassy undertones. Moderately hoppy with flavors of citrus and freshly cut grass. Firm bitterness but clean in the finish; nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: Dry throughout with a crisp medium body and high carbonation.

Notes: Excellent stuff. I'm glad to see more American craft breweries making good pilsners.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to skinny elvis for this as an extra!

A- poured a golden straw color with a decent frothy white head on top with a pretty strong lacing.

S- strong malty charachter. medium hops, strong enough to balance but not enough to stand out against the malt.

T- strong smooth malty on top clean throughout with a great crisp finish.

M- full body with a strong carbonation

d- pretty solid and a good session beer

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale light golden/ yellow topped by a white head. The aroma has lots of fresh barley, light dough and tons of crisp grassy hops. Light fluffy body with a crisp flavor. Has some mild biscuit notes and a balancing dryness. Grassy and pleasantly bitter finish. Solid profile and extremely sessionable.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

So, even if reviewing to style, if a pils doesn't turn you on, looks-wise, how do you rate it? This looks boring: small head, pale yellow color, not much else. I like a good pils just like any other advocate...they just never look all that great to me (maybe because they often look too close to U.S. macros and bad Chinese beer to make a fair observation).

Aroma-wise, it's typical, and this one is nice and clean: straw-like earthiness, lemony brightness, flowery, and a friendly hop snap.

This pils is definitely on the hoppy side, plus a hint of lemon tartness, with a fruity roundness giving it some edge and a typically crisp, just slightly toasty finish. Ample carbonation gives the crispness of flavor an actual physical bite.

After a couple of these over the weekend, it seems clear that this is a simple beer: a solid pils, a worthy example of the style, huge drinkability, great for summer, and probably a good diversion from the strong, syrupy, big-ass beers lots of us like to drink. Takes me back down to earth a bit.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

Apperance- Nice bubbly golden yellow color with a good head and retention.

Smell- Nice malts in the nose.

Taste,Mouthfeel- Malts in the fromt and a pleasing hops at the finish, good carb and body, tingley.

Drinkability- Wonderful summer session beer, I LOVE THIS BEER!!

Bought a 6 pack of this the day the "Season" started at Seiberts in Yonkers. Unfortunately for me I was trying to catch the end of the Nugget Nectar season and buy all she had left, which was none. So I got this instead and the disapointment did not stop there.

Poured from bottle to pint glass and it looked like a hazy piss with minimal 1/8 inch of foam head, on par with Coors Light. The smell was like lawn clippings that I forgot to dump out of the lawnmower's catcher 2 weeks ago. Bitter, metalic taste that is quite nasty. Long bitter aftertaste on this, not like any Pilsner I have had, in a bad way. Would not buy again, and will not drink the rest of these since I am forcing the end of this Pint down.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

A_straw golden coloured liquid with a cappacino like foam crown.

S_mild smelling. Light grain aroma.

T_dry grassy noble hops hit upfront. Light sweetish grain taste in the middle and a pleasing bitter aftertaste. Seems to be extremely fresh. Nicely done.

M_light bodied overall but with a little more oomph than the common pils. Nice small tingly carbonation

D_extremely drinkable pils. Very refreshing and a great summertime brew.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hop-heads will love this because it's rather hops-bitter and more like an APA than a Pils. I'm rating it as a Pils, not an APA and I have a difficult time giving it higher numbers as a result.

A= light golden straw-yellow, foamy head, apparently representing its "sunshine" title.

S= very light, bubblegum and honey notes, hints of laundry-fresh hops-florals and malts.

T= nice, not a bold beer, rather bitter for a pils with a bit of a bite; slightly creamy malts, light grassy notes and a drop of honey.

M= light creamy tongue, lingering strong hops bitters.

D= very drinkable, but not a good representation of its Pilsner style. Drink it like an APA.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz 2008 bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Crystal clear, pale golden color with a moderate white head with great retention and some web like lacing. Steady carbonation
S: Clean, crisp smell with floral, grassy and hoppy notes. Lemon background and a little sweetness.
T: Light medium body, that is still pretty thick on the tongue. Lots of carbonation and a very refreshing body of hops, grass, lemon, etc. Not quite as hoppy as expected, but still has nice bite from the hops and lemon, earthy flavors. Aftertaste lingers for a while and is very refreshing.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

12oz bottle poured into my Sunshine Pils pint glass, what else.

12oz bottle poured into my Troegs pint glass

A: Pale golden color with a pillow bright wide head. Lots of carbonation. Very clear and the head goes nowhere.

S: Crisp with a very subtle hop aroma, used to more of a hop scent from future batches of this beer. Lemon, grass, and a bit of pound cake sweetness.

T: Grassy hops more than the aroma with striking bitterness of a good pils. I hope it was just this batch that lost some of the hops but they were still there.

M: Carbonated and crisp- on par for style.

D: These can be drank all night and all summer days. Nothing you will get tired of. Best word to sum up is refreshing.

This one didnt have the same hop bite that I was accustomed to from previous tastings but as a whole Im guessing it was just this batch. Not the best of Troegs but still more than a solid beer and one that is a great summer drinker.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden straw yellow with a full, bright white head that leaves plenty lacing.

S-Grassy hops followed nicely by biscuity malts and bit of a sharp lemon.

T-Nice sharp hop zip supported by the biscuit malt and that refreshing lemony zing.

M-A bit too light in body for me but I understand this is the nature of the beast. Nice crisp finish with a pleasant bitter hop aftertaste.

D-A nice warm season session beer. This one is easy to drink and a beer with enough satisfying flavour that even flavour whores like me wont turn away from. A solid offering for sure....a classic American done German Pils.

4.45/5  rDev +19%

12oz. bottle into shaker pint glass on 4/19/08.

A - Vigorous pour revealed a clear golden straw colored body with almost two fingers of soapy, bright white head that left plenty of sticky lacing around the glass. Mild amount of active carbonation is present.

S - Classic pilsner aroma of grassy hops, biscuity malt, bread and lemon zest. I also sense the slightest tinge of vanilla for some reason.

T - Mmmm... very nice classic pilsner. All of the flavors blend together quite nicely here, with plenty of grassy hops, biscuits, citrus fruit and lemon juice.

M - Light body with watery texture with just a tinge of oily residue on the palate. Pretty mild carbonation for a pilsner. Finish is crisp and clean with a nice bitter hop bite.

D - This is a perfect session beer for the summer months. I can (and will) drink this all day on a warm summer afternoon. I anticipate its release every year with bated breath! Hey Troegs... can you please make this a year 'round offering?

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into the tallest, slenderest glass I had in the cabinet.

Appearance: A crystal-clear greenish-yellow-bodied beer with crisp-looking effervescence, a small, moist, one-finger head that fades rapidly, and spotty and sparse lacing. Looks like a pilsner, although the color freaks me out a lil'.

Aroma: Mild, but what is there is pleasant. Light, ester-like citrus notes - lemon in particular - a very mild, sweet pale malt smell, and very faint spicy, floral hops. Very springlike, although I wish it were a little more pungent.

Taste: The light malts dominate here, with some light grassy, herbal hops leaving some faint bitter aftertastes. Not too much to say about it - it could stand to use a little more hops, perhaps.

Mouthfeel: Watery at first, but it becomes less noticeable with time. The carbonation profile is rather large - big bubbles make for a nice, crisp feel.

Drinkability: What do you expect from a pilsener? They're low in alcohol, light, thin, crisp, not too sweet, not too bitter ... they're all going to be very manageable. Despite lacking in some of the traditional pilsener "departments," this one remains just as drinkable, and would be great for a pilsener session.

Another beer that's not really my style. I have to be in the mood or the right atmosphere for something this light and bubbly, but I could definitely see myself having one of these on my balcony on a warm day. Considering it solely for what it is - a German pilsener - it's decent, missing some of the spiciness and stronger hop presences of those beers, despite claiming to be well-hopped. Not the best Tröegs brew, but not a miss, either.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

a - a clear pale straw yellow color with a white clingy head.

s - biscuity malt smell with grassy hops

t - biscuity malt in the flavor as well. Some hops that go from very faint to quite present as it sits in your mouth. The aftertaste is slightly dry and bitter.

m - extremely light, well carbonated

d - This is definitely a good summer beer, but I think I prefer zatec for a pils. It's less bitter and dry.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bottle purchased at American Beer Distributors in Brooklyn. Crystal clear, golden colored, thin wet looking white foam. The aroma is malty and a little estered, and the taste is satisfyingly malty with a real nice but slightly bitter after-taste. This is a really good beer, I'm starting to turn towards these light and more subtle beers more and more.

3.18/5  rDev -15%

Pours a very pale straw color with a nice and clingy pure white head. The aroma is quite faint, I pick up some light grains, kind of disappointing. The taste is grainy sweet with a slight hop presence, nothing too pilsner-y about this brew. The hops sort of show up toward the end, a little too late though. The feel is light but not watery, nice carbonation, finishes with a slightly bitter hop aftertaste. The drinkability is fine. This would be a fine brew for BBQs and the like. This pils just doesn't standout and barely resembles a true pils. Troegs makes good brews but I think this one just missed the mark.

Re-review 5/09/09
This sample had more of a traditional grassy nobel hop flavor and a light cracker like malt though still a bit bready on the malt and I thought I tasted some lemon.

Tröegs Sunshine Pils from Tröegs Brewing Company